PDA

View Full Version : What are some mangas comparable to DBZ?

Nocturnal
Wed, 03-03-2004, 12:26 AM
I loved DBZ, and since then I haven't fell in love with any other manga or anime available.

What others are out there that either the same artist drew or the same person who created the story line came out with?

Terracosmo
Wed, 03-03-2004, 03:54 PM

Well, Akira Toriyama himself hasn't made anything comparable to DBZ... he has done a few longer series (Doctor Slump) but they are very different from it. Other than that he mostly made short one-shot mangas. If you liked DBZ however, you should watch both Naruto (which I assume you are already doing, since you are here) & One Piece. The authors of those two series have Toriyama as a primary source for inspiration, thus, they are similar to DBZ but MUCH better.

PSJ
Wed, 03-03-2004, 04:52 PM
naruto is definetly good, the manga that is. but i dont like one peice that much, got vol 1 - 5 then i ran out of cash i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

MightyDustLoop
Sat, 03-06-2004, 09:02 PM
You could also check out Chrono Trigger too. It's not manga, but he did the character designs (and the cutscenes on the PSX version look like DBZ). Plus it's probably the greatest RPG ever to boot.

Hayate
Sat, 03-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Hunter X Hunter isnt just comparable to DBZ, it is a million times superior... though not written by the same author

Mut
Thu, 03-11-2004, 09:24 PM
BERSERK

Jman
Sat, 03-13-2004, 02:58 AM
Naruto...DBZ done right.
*ducks and leaves room quietly*

sangai
Fri, 03-19-2004, 07:55 PM
well kajika by akira toriyama was pretty good even though i read the first chapter only

zeion22
Tue, 03-23-2004, 04:35 PM
Right now the best manga out "that i think" is Naruto, then i would say hunter X hunter!

Shinji Ikari
Tue, 03-23-2004, 05:08 PM
DBZ is nothing compared to Bremen and Berserk... These mangas have nothing in common, but all you have to know about them is that they "rock" i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Hakeem_21
Wed, 03-24-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by: Hayate
Hunter X Hunter isnt just comparable to DBZ, it is a million times superior... though not written by the same author

I agree with you 100% cause Hunter X Hunter is the best!

It gets only better and better. Im on vol.11 right now.

sangai
Wed, 03-24-2004, 01:01 PM
im not gonna say hunter x hunter is better than dbz because i havn't seen it but love dbz and always will it is a manga that shouldn't knocked because some people dislike it there are probably more dbz fans than there hxh fans

but ever since funimation got there bastardly hands on they have butchered it

i wish i could get all the japanese episodes with subtittles. dvd quality, i would buy the dvds if there was a complete box set of all the episodes same with dragonball

i am the anti gt though it sucked, to make it worse funimation cut out the a bunch of the begging episodes it went like from 2-13 where gone so they made an already short series into a shorter one

im a major dbz fan

but naruto is better than dbz cause well its new i plan on reading hxh later though maybe this summer

Hakeem_21
Thu, 03-25-2004, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by: sangai sakusei
im not gonna say hunter x hunter is better than dbz because i havn't seen it but love dbz and always will it is a manga that shouldn't knocked because some people dislike it there are probably more dbz fans than there hxh fans

but ever since funimation got there bastardly hands on they have butchered it

i wish i could get all the japanese episodes with subtittles. dvd quality, i would buy the dvds if there was a complete box set of all the episodes same with dragonball

i am the anti gt though it sucked, to make it worse funimation cut out the a bunch of the begging episodes it went like from 2-13 where gone so they made an already short series into a shorter one

im a major dbz fan

but naruto is better than dbz cause well its new i plan on reading hxh later though maybe this summer

If Naruto is better than DBZ then Hunter X Hunter is better than DBZ cause HXH is atleast as good as Naruto.

sangai
Thu, 03-25-2004, 04:55 PM
well thats your opinion and your entitled to it
alot of people would say one piece is as good as naruto (another one i have yet to watch) so its kinda hard i know for a fact that naruto is better story then dbz

but i still love dbz's drawing style

from what i have seen of the hxh manga i did not like the drawing style

Iznogoud
Thu, 03-25-2004, 06:35 PM
HxH is now exactly like DBZ, sorry but it's what i felt when i read vol 17 & 18. . .

sangai
Fri, 03-26-2004, 04:30 PM
in the end all the manga will be as big as dbz as great and as long

im not aware of how far along hxh is but and naruto is starting a dbzish trend of dragging things out and thats what makes them good they now how to leave the reader on edge i enjoy naruto more then i did dbz and im sure i will enjoy hxh and one piece

SkyDragon
Sat, 03-27-2004, 01:13 PM
No. DBZ changed action manga. All otehr like Naruto aren't that original. The manga is good, anime isn't that good. But I would recommend Dragon Ball to read, it's a different from DBZ, but a LOT better and you will get to see the story of the characters and how the met.

Zaknafein
Mon, 03-29-2004, 11:53 AM
I Would say RANMA I enjoy that manga and I know im not the only one!

sangai
Mon, 03-29-2004, 01:59 PM
well if im gonna suggest others

my top ones would be

one shots
kajika (sp)
guyver
dragon ball
full metal (just started watching it its fricken awsome)
and yes ranma is quite good
kenshin (can't forget it
3x3 eyes ill post a link later
trigun : if you can find it

Hakeem_21
Mon, 03-29-2004, 11:53 PM
do you mean full Metal Panic ? If so how many vol is there?

sangai
Tue, 03-30-2004, 12:39 AM
no sorry i was talkin about full metal alchemist

i guess they have nothing in common

i don't know a thing about full metal panic

gouki
Thu, 04-08-2004, 08:55 PM
street fighter, tekken.............street fighters my favorite.