PDA

View Full Version : Passion of the Christ

Poiple Weezard
Sun, 02-29-2004, 02:10 AM
I believe the term that you're looking for is anti-semitic. From what I've heard he did the opposite.

When the Temple elders met to decide Jesus' fate and to secretly try him, Mel had some who spoke out against what was being done.

Also, I was told that history records the man who took up Jesus' cross as being African. In the movie, they said he was a Jew.

The movie shows a full spectrum of people who were cruel and those who were compassionate. In the end, some of the cruelest were the Roman soldiers, and some of the most compassionate were the Jews.

Lys
Sun, 02-29-2004, 02:43 AM
My mum said it was in Aramaic ... but I wouldn't be surprised if some parts were in Latin—isn't that the language the Romans used? Some of the stuff Pilate and his people said sounded like words that have become used in English. It's pretty crazy that the actors had to know or learn the language(s) to do their parts in the movie ... I thought that was cool.

The devil-baby scared me. I had no idea what was up with it, other than some sort of evil-ness ...

And as for the violence, I'm not sure what I thought. I'm sure it could've been like that for Jesus, but then I started wondering why the other two men were almost uninjured. I mean, why all the lashing after his initial punishment? Even if they did that to him, why wouldn't they do the same to the other criminals?

Poiple Weezard
Sun, 02-29-2004, 03:02 AM
The lashing was supposed to be done as his final punishment. Unfortunetly, some of the people were still unsatisfied and demanded crucifixtion afterwards.

Immortal Boner
Sun, 02-29-2004, 03:11 AM
Not religious or anything but from reading many good reviews , I'll be checking it out. Don't know why you people really need hush up on the spoilers, I mean c'mon it's Jesus. http://forums.gotwoot.net/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

(note to Joker-kun: I don't think it's about waking people up to Jesus that's the problem. It's about whether this particular religion is right and whether there really is such a thing as a supernatural diety.)

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 02-29-2004, 03:55 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (joker-kun @ Feb 29 2004, 10:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I am planning to see this movie, maybe it&#39;ll finally wake some people and show them what Jesus really did do for us. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
Wake people up? Quoi? JFC that sounds like a bit of an narrow minded comment...

Meh, whatever, I&#39;ll probably download this when it comes out, sounds relatively interesting, if it has evil stuff and gore it ought to be pretty cool....

PSJ
Sun, 02-29-2004, 05:22 AM
is this movie good? cause it sounds very interesting should probably see it when it comes to my town. fuckin hate to live in sweden sometimes.

ad4mz41
Sun, 02-29-2004, 05:32 AM
I&#39;m too young to watch this in the theaters by myself. Ill probably get it off the net or something.
I heard soem guy got a heart attack from watching movie... is it really that bad/gory?

Vagabond
Sun, 02-29-2004, 05:50 AM
I haven&#39;t seen it but i&#39;m pretty pissed that Jesus is represented as a white person. No offence to white people but Jesus most likely had dark skin. Also from what i&#39;ve read the movie only focuses on pain, violence and the downfall of christ instead of focusing on the message christ was trying to spread. I&#39;m not really religious and i haven&#39;t read the bible but you guys need to know that you can&#39;t take everything from the bible literaly. I&#39;m sure half of the stuff in the movie never really happened.
If your intrested on reading a good review on the movie i&#39;ll scan it from the new yorker.
Oh and also if you think the roman&#39;s were bad maybe you should read about things the chruch did to disbelievers and heretics. It&#39;s pretty sick. They tortured everyone who disagreed with them.

Raven
Sun, 02-29-2004, 05:51 AM
So what did people think about it? It was pretty blood soaked, and it actually looked very real, they didn&#39;t pull any punches.

Couple of questions though... how can Mel Gibson direct it when it&#39;s done in Latin or whatever language it is?

And who or what was that baby-like creature the devil was holding? Weird.

Overall, really well made. Left me feeling pretty drained.

Immortal Boner
Sun, 02-29-2004, 06:15 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ad4mz41 @ Feb 29 2004, 05:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I heard soem guy got a heart attack from watching movie... </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
Think of it this way. Pokemon gave people seizures. And yes it was that bad.

Poiple Weezard
Sun, 02-29-2004, 07:33 AM
Jesus led a very active life (at least during the last three years). Its not surprising that Mel only chose to focus on one element of that, ie. the pain and suffering.

About the atrocities committed by the church, I know they have been numerous throughout the two thousand years of its existence. I only ask they you not judge most of us by the actions of some. Based upon Biblical teachings alone, its obvious that those people were not acting in the good of the church or in the name of God.

Poiple Weezard
Sun, 02-29-2004, 08:42 AM
That stuff about the devil was all imagery that Mel added in. I don&#39;t know how much we could talk about it without giving &quot;spoilers&quot; to the movie. I know its a two thousand year old story, but people will be going to see Mel&#39;s personal interpretation.

I had hoped it would be an evangelical tool, but it doesn&#39;t seem to have turned out that way. Its a great movie for Christians to see and a reminder about what He did for us, but its not a very clear story in the movie, so people unfamiliar with the material might not come away with all there is.

I don&#39;t know what language he did it in. Back when production was going on a year or two ago, I heard it was going to be in Aramaic. Never having heard Aamaic, I can&#39;t tell if that was the language that was used. I could see it being Hebrew too. Does anybody speak Hebrew who saw the film?

Raven
Sun, 02-29-2004, 09:32 AM
I&#39;m pretty sure Pilate (the roman general) spoke French at one point, if only for a few lines.

hiddenpookie
Sun, 02-29-2004, 11:27 AM
wow sounds intresting must check it out

joker-kun
Sun, 02-29-2004, 11:28 AM
I have not seen it but hope too, I personally think it can be used as a &quot;evangelic tool&quot; as someone phrased it. There is alot of good speculation about it, all these people who do say Mel Gibson is anti-jew (forgot the other term) im sorry I think are fools. Its based on the bible, from what ive heard and seen there is nothing different, if they still have this belief after words they truly do need to read the bible and get a relationship with god, and most of the people who dipicted it as anti-jew thought that way when they walked in, I expect great things from this movie and am happy to see finally someone truly standing up for god in hollwood, not candy-coating things.

Oh yeah and for your question, I believe he directed it in english and just had someone translate or re-write the script in {aramic}?

And I heard it said up there and on TV that the devil dude wasnt necessarily real, it was just like Mel&#39;s dipiction of evil, so id imagine if he was holding a baby it must have been another.

I am planning to see this movie, maybe it&#39;ll finally wake some people and show them what Jesus really did do for us. Also people complain about bloodyness, yet it was worse then this if you read the bible, not only that but if its that hard too watch imagine how hard it was for him to live through it, not only the pain, but being mocked and treated like absolute trash.

Xollence
Mon, 03-01-2004, 02:23 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (VagabondLBD &#064; Feb 29 2004, 04:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I haven&#39;t seen it but i&#39;m pretty pissed that Jesus is represented as a white person. No offence to white people but Jesus most likely had dark skin. Also from what i&#39;ve read the movie only focuses on pain, violence and the downfall of christ instead of focusing on the message christ was trying to spread. I&#39;m not really religious and i haven&#39;t read the bible but you guys need to know that you can&#39;t take everything from the bible literaly. I&#39;m sure half of the stuff in the movie never really happened.
If your intrested on reading a good review on the movie i&#39;ll scan it from the new yorker.
Oh and also if you think the roman&#39;s were bad maybe you should read about things the chruch did to disbelievers and heretics. It&#39;s pretty sick. They tortured everyone who disagreed with them. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
No, the movie was pretty accurate. Almost all of the things are mentioned in the Bible.

And are you saying Jesus was black? Hmmm... I don&#39;t think there were too many black Jews back in, there still aren&#39;t many today. What exactly makes you think he wasn&#39;t?

The movie wasn&#39;t about the downfall of Christ. It was suppose to show everyone what pain Jesus went through for us. They did get the message across, Jesus died for our sins.

----

Something I don&#39;t understand though, there were some Jewish groups that bought all the movie tickets and burned them so that no one can watch it. What does this solve? Aren&#39;t they bascially giving money towards the movie anyway?

Vagabond
Mon, 03-01-2004, 02:52 AM
Yeah the movie may be accurate to the bible but do you really think everything in the bible is true?
Also i said jesus most likely had dark skin. I didn&#39;t say he was black. A lot of the people who lived in that part of the world had dark skin.

I don&#39;t really want to get into my opinions on religion cause I know if i do then we will get into a long arguement. So let me just leave it at that. http://forums.gotwoot.net/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Raven
Mon, 03-01-2004, 03:00 AM
A lot of people in that part of the world may have had dark skin, but it&#39;s unlikely that a Jew such as Jesus would have. There&#39;s no reason for us to believe that, at least not to a point to get pissed about it like you said you were.

sangai
Mon, 03-01-2004, 03:02 AM
well i still havn&#39;t seen this mainly because im an ex godworshiper i don&#39;t do that stuff anymore

so considering my stature on the hole religion thing,do you guys suggest i see this movie

was it good

Raven
Mon, 03-01-2004, 03:03 AM
Yes, it&#39;s a good movie to see in its own right, even if you&#39;re not religious.

joker-kun
Mon, 03-01-2004, 05:26 AM
lol, who really cares about the color of his skin, are you people really that immature, try looking at the good things instead of always pointing out flaws.

Legendary Nin
Mon, 03-01-2004, 06:24 AM
No one can prove that what is in the bible is real,or actually happend.It is possbile there never was a Jesus,and there is nothing to support there was except what was written in the bible,that&#39;s it.There is no right or wrong religion,because all of them believe in things they can&#39;t prove,so to say this movie was accurate would be false.To say its good,now that&#39;s believable.Controversial subject.

Poiple Weezard
Mon, 03-01-2004, 06:38 AM
Although you can say that the Bible is not provable, it is supported by hundreds of historic documents from among that time.

Also, about &quot;there is no right or wrong religion&quot;, that is merely your own belief, and probably differs from many here. It is just as unprovable as the prospect of there being a &quot;right&quot; religion.

Krbadass
Mon, 03-01-2004, 06:45 AM
Lets stay on the movie topic instead of talking about religion in general... thanks

Vagabond
Thu, 03-04-2004, 03:21 AM
Sry for bringing this back up but I just wanted to apologize for my insensitive comments. Its not my place to tell people what they should believe. I guess i get too carried away with things like this.

Poiple Weezard
Thu, 03-04-2004, 07:31 AM
No more carried away then I get with things like this. Anyways, on the topic of the movie, I was told that this might be opening up a path for other movie adaptations of portions of the Bible. Anyone here any news related to that?

I could just imagine some of the movies that could sprout up.

Miramax doing a film on the lustful nature of King David.

Pixar doing a take on Noah's ark.

Even New Line Cinema doing an action/epic interpretation of revelation. Complete with elves.

hiddenpookie
Thu, 03-04-2004, 08:52 AM
looking at these avatrs make me laugh! there so lame...aniway the movie was good but i wouldnt suggest munching snacks while watching jesus being hammers with a nail to his palm

KakashiSensei
Thu, 03-04-2004, 11:03 AM
ok first thing first I am a catholic and I know this is a touchy subject. The Movie has no story to it. The reason why is that Mel assumes everybody knows the story already so lets show Jesus getting tortured for 2 hrs. It was probably one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen. Did I like the movie???? Well not really. Here is my reasons why. I can understand the Devil guy trying to get Christ killed but WTF was with the Demon children, that I dont get. Plus like a said b4 they dont really waste time on story and just get down to the good ol' wip him with hooks. I am not very religious(sp?) so I dont know the specific details details of the events that led up to christs crucifiction. Thats why the movie wasn't that appealing to me, b/c for some one with little knowlege its just about a guy getting tortured for a few hours.

I really hope I didn't offend anyone with my comments thats not what they were meant to be.

Oh and my g/f loved the movie, ( she is very religious). And she cried a bit during the torture scenes.