PDA

View Full Version : School System in US/Canada?

itachi_
Thu, 02-26-2004, 02:01 AM
You're Canadians, now i want to see some american's, or maybe it's the same system there, comon, littlecooldude, rock lee etc..

rEkKaShInObI
Thu, 02-26-2004, 02:34 AM
schools are poor in U.S. the war hella cut the teachers pays and the programs were murdered. there were good programs to. thats all i can say.

Vagabond
Thu, 02-26-2004, 03:01 AM
Public schools in the US suck balls. My school's capacity is around 1000 people but we have 3000. Damn Bush. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/mad.gif Trying to get rid of free education.

Assertn
Thu, 02-26-2004, 03:36 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jing @ Feb 26 2004, 08:19 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Come to Canada, the school systems are alot harder than US.
all my teacher says that gr 12. in canada is like university stuff in the US.
come n be challenged </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
does your teacher also say that whenever a missing gas cap is found, an angel gets its wings? (sorry, old Rocko reference) http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

As far as i know, the education system between US and Canada is about the same.
Although im from the US and personally i&#39;d like to see how long you&#39;d have lasted with MY 12th grade classes http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/sleep.gif

Uzumaki Naruto
Thu, 02-26-2004, 03:58 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (itachi_ @ Feb 26 2004, 01:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> You&#39;re Canadians, now i want to see some american&#39;s, or maybe it&#39;s the same system there, comon, littlecooldude, rock lee etc.. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
its pretty much the same, in junior high u go from 6th to the 8th grade then after that, ur a freshman in highschool mean the ninth grade, then teh year after that ur a sophomore thats the tenth grade and after that ur a junior, mean 11th grade teh ur a senior and thast about ur last year in high school, then if u want to u can go to college and get ur college degrees and shit and tehy will get u some whre good in the future. but lately the war fuked up our skewls bc we had massive budget cuts, and some skewls even went on strike, my skewls about tobbe closed down, and now i have to find anoether one to go to, this suks so much ass

Assertn
Thu, 02-26-2004, 04:04 AM
i dont know where you guys are getting these war/budget problems from....i havent seen anything like that around here

JusDaMan
Thu, 02-26-2004, 04:34 AM
DUno about others =) but in NY PUBLIC school

elementry= k-5 Age 5-10ish
Middle/junor high= 6-8 Age 11-13ish
high=9-12 Age 14-18+

High school goes by
Freshman
sophmore
junor
senor
SUPER senor (30% of senor become)
Super super senor ( 10ish% of super senor)
And mega senor (dont happen often)

And I dont kno y ppl say public school in US sux... i personally think its mad good. In my school Teachers DONT GIVE A SHIT about wat u do. and we can cut all we want. Also in lunch we gamble, fight, and play rap music all day. its all good. When u see someone u kno give em a pound and say &quot;sup son&quot; or &quot;yo nigga&quot;. Life in Public school is very good. I mean SURE we aint gonna be in college but who gives a dam on wats gonna happen in 4 years. For all we kno US aint gonna be here in 4 years. All we worry about is when we gettin laid.

As the old saying goes (to me anyway): If we the future the future is screwed&#33;

Vagabond
Thu, 02-26-2004, 06:31 AM
Well i wasn&#39;t talking about the war. Its just that Bush puts very little money into public education. Basically he&#39;s trying to get rid of free education. I guess it depends on this; would you rather have a super strong army but have stupid citizens. Or would you rather have a moderately strong army (that is still stronger than any other countries army) and have smart citizens.

itachi_
Thu, 02-26-2004, 07:13 AM
I want to go to Canada and play Icehockey... they&#39;re good at it http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/wink.gif ..

jing
Thu, 02-26-2004, 07:16 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (itachi_ &#064; Feb 26 2004, 06:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I want to go to Canada and play Icehockey... they&#39;re good at it http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/wink.gif .. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
u never know, u might become the next Matts Sundin

To assrtnfailure: my school is top 10 in canada, so i think maybe my teacher got abit cocky lol.

TeLeKiNeSiS
Thu, 02-26-2004, 07:38 AM
dont complain about bush...take it down one level...governor&#33; i&#39;m a californian... i have arnold.... education here is being cut back like crazy&#33;

Poiple Weezard
Thu, 02-26-2004, 08:31 AM
The war itself never cut the teacher&#39;s pay. From what I&#39;ve seen with the schools, they are exactly the same now that my brother is there than when I was there. My school inparticular (and most that I know of in this area) have problems with severe misallocations of money to different departments.

Anyways, there are several different ways that it can go in the U.S. (may be more). Kindergarten is still started about age 5 and is the start of elementary school, but then it changes.

First Scenario:

Grade K-5 - Elementary School
Grade 6-8 - Middle School
Grade 9-12 - High School

Second Scenario:

Grade K-6 - Elementary School
Grade 7-8 - Junior High
Grade 9 -12 - Senior High

In small towns you may have several different schools combined into one. They may only have an Elementary school that goes from Grades K-8 and then a high school for Grades 9-12, or they may have all the grades in the same school. I&#39;ve also heard rumors of U.S. high schools that have grades 10-12 and that 9th grade is included in the junior high, but I&#39;ve never had that confirmed.

Each state and county in the U.S. has a seperate School Board, so it can get a bit awkward.

Regarding &quot;Junior&quot; status, there are four titles that normally refer to High School students, but may also refer to Junior High, Middle School, or College students.

1st Year at that school - Freshman
2nd Year at that school - Sophomore
3rd Year at that school - Junior
4th Year at that school - Senior

If the school only has three grades, drop the sophomore status. If the school only has two grades, drop the sophomore and junior statuses.

I graduated high school when I was 17, so I would say that you would probably be a senior in high school, but as the others were saying, it all depends on when you were born in the year.

JusDaMan
Thu, 02-26-2004, 09:12 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TeLeKiNeSiS @ Feb 26 2004, 06:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> dont complain about bush...take it down one level...governor&#33; i&#39;m a californian... i have arnold.... education here is being cut back like crazy&#33; </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
ey i want the governator as my governor&#33; better than pataki (ny govnor) and its not the govnor falt its the mayor =P

jing
Thu, 02-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Come to Canada, the school systems are alot harder than US.
all my teacher says that gr 12. in canada is like university stuff in the US.
come n be challenged

EnergyCallingMe
Thu, 02-26-2004, 10:35 AM
in dirty eastern canada u have to take french while the greater western providences dont have to such as alberta

itachi_
Thu, 02-26-2004, 10:41 AM
About 3 years ago, back then our class was visiting Thunder Bay, the first impression was &quot;what&#39;s going on, eh ?&quot; http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Chaz
Thu, 02-26-2004, 11:33 AM
In the US most people graduate high school at 17-18 depending on when your birth date is or if you went to preschool. Each state is different, but k-8 ( grades) general education. Earth sciences, computer concepts, English classes math classes, life studies, art classes and 1-3 years of foreign language.

Grades 9-12 they require x number of classes in a specific field,
7english classes
6 science
6 math
4 computer/arts
5 world history/geography
4 life studies
4 P/E
2 foreign languages
2: elective… drama class, rocket club, chess club, public speaking, debate, public service.. various classes that you chose as a creative outlet.

During high school you might have 4 free class spots to pick up extra classes or to master a second language…. Or you could pick not to have a class at all and have a study period.

You can chose of what type i.e. 7 English classes, but you could take more if you wanted. You might have 20 english classes to chose from; some might have other classes as a prerequisite, but if you can clear a high enough placement score sometimes they let you in either way.

Most of my cousins are from Canada. The Us and Canada have similar education systems. From what I understand the average Canadian pre university school is equal with like a magnet school or a large city school in the us. Both Canada and the US have prep schools and private schools. Also many Canadian schools will have what would be an a-p class at a public Us high school as a normal roster list class without a displacement grade point.

With most Canadian universities having less money to recruit good professors and offer the latest technologies a few of my cousins ended up coming here to the states for their choices in higher level education. They all ended up with huge tuition costs. Being Canadian born they weren’t eligible for a lot of scholarships and financial aid, 1 of them is going to Yale medical and 2 of them are going to Nichols.

At 17 provided you’re from an English speaking country or have taken 3 or more years of it you should be ready for university. If you were natively from Canada but moved, and planned to go to school there you would have the advantage of a far cheaper education, but if not you’ll end up paying high international fees going to Canada or the US.

itachi_
Thu, 02-26-2004, 01:26 PM
I&#39;m a little bit curious about the school-system in US/Canada, could someone tell me a little bit about it

I&#39;m 17 where would I go if I was there ?? it&#39;s confusing with all this junior/senior stuff, explain someone? http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/wink.gif

joker-kun
Thu, 02-26-2004, 01:31 PM
you would be in gr 11 or maybe 12, it would depend on your b-day and when you were entered into to school, so you would be a senior.

In Canada it goes:

Midget&gt;Junior&gt;Senior

itachi_
Thu, 02-26-2004, 01:37 PM
Isn&#39;t there something called Highschool and after that Collage? 17 is Highschool, right? junior, eh?

TeLeKiNeSiS
Thu, 02-26-2004, 01:53 PM
yes...well at age 5 or so everyone starts kindergarten...and then first to eigth grade is elementary...high school starts at around 14 years old, 9th - 12th grade. at 17 (i am 17 too&#33;) you would probably be a junior, or 11th grade. that is, if you turned 17 this schoolyear. if you are already 17 when school started and you turn 18 this year you would probably be a senior, 12th grade.

oh and yeah, after you finish 12 years of school, 9-12 is high school, you can apply to go to college, but by then you are an adult, you get to choose whether you want to go to college or work or whatever you want.

where are you from?

r3n
Fri, 02-27-2004, 08:38 AM
hmm the american system seems similar to the scottish system.

3yrs - nursery (kindergarten)
5yrs - primary school (entering into &quot;P1&quot;)
11yrs - last year of primary school (&quot;P7&quot;)
12yrs - senior school (aka highschool, entering into &quot;S1&quot;)
17yrs - last year of senior school (&quot;6th form&quot;/&quot;S6&quot;)

im in 6th form atm, next year im going to university (18yrs).

itachi_
Fri, 02-27-2004, 10:40 AM
In sweden we have

Kindergarden up to 5
then a thing called 6 yearsactivity
then 1-9th grade
then most people choose to go to something similar to high-school at this rate you&#39;re 15
you go there for 3 or 4 years
then you can go to a university if you want to be a professor...

Arcn3ss
Fri, 02-27-2004, 10:53 AM
Iam from Ontario...20 years old and I&#39;ve been thru the older system that just changed. The newer one has only 4 years of high school were I had 5.

The old system had 2 systems of classes, general and advanced. Since university is alot different then college here high school classes where different as well. With general courses you could go to college but not university. With Advanced courses you could go to either college or university although you needed grade 13 to go to university. If you had those advanced courses and went to college you&#39;re marks would be multiplied by 1.13 , and if you had grade 13 or OAC your marks would be multiplied by 1.17. So advanced courses going into college made you ahead of ppl in general courses.

Being in advanced courses allowed you to take those grade 13 courses (OAC). You needed 6 of them and normally higher then 70% to be worth anything to a university.

Elementary - Jr K
Sr K
Grades 1 - 8

OR

High school 9 - 13 (OAC) - Advanced Type courses -&gt; University

Well that was my system, Iam university now, which seems very similar to every other one. Iam not sure of the new system but that was the old system up to a few years ago. Going to univerity to get a degree in canada isnt a big deal anymore. It sorta sucks cuz it became something that was the normal thus alot of ppl needed to get it now to obtain jobs. College is more hands on work (easier as well) with job placements to its good in that sense.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>EnergyCallingMe Posted on Feb 26 2004, 09:34 PM
in dirty eastern canada u have to take french while the greater western providences dont have to such as alberta </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/mf_laughbounce2.gif I hated french...but what can you do. I wish there was japanese at my school that would have owned.

Kumiriko
Fri, 02-27-2004, 01:02 PM
yes japanes to replace french. that would have been impressive. i too went thought the ontario school system of the olden days. but i only did 4 years of high school because i was a lazy bum. oac wasnt madatory

.akai
Sat, 02-28-2004, 04:13 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (VagabondLBD @ Feb 27 2004, 03:01 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Public schools in the US suck balls. My school&#39;s capacity is around 1000 people but we have 3000. Damn Bush. http://forums.gotwoot.net/html/emoticons/mad.gif Trying to get rid of free education. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
That&#39;s really bad.

itachi_
Sat, 02-28-2004, 04:17 AM
Well i have to admit that i really enjoy capitalism, nothing wrong with that.

hachimitsu
Sat, 02-28-2004, 08:25 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Poiple Weezard &#064; Feb 26 2004, 07:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>...I&#39;ve also heard rumors of U.S. high schools that have grades 10-12 and that 9th grade is included in the junior high, but I&#39;ve never had that confirmed....

Each state and county in the U.S. has a seperate School Board, so it can get a bit awkward.

...If the school only has three grades, drop the sophomore status.Â* If the school only has two grades, drop the sophomore and junior statuses...</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
when I was in public school (in Florida) there was

Age..........Nomenclature
03 - 04: Head Start / Nursery School (Preschool)
05 - 05: Kindergarten
06 - 10: Elementary School (grades 1-5)
11 - 12: Secondary Schools (grades 6-7) There were sixth grade centers and seventh grade centers.
13 -14: Junior High School (grades 8-9) <span style='color:purple'>Poiple Weezard, you now have confirmation</span>
15-17: High School (grades 10-12)

note: you started as a sophmore and there were no freshmen. 10 is alsways sophmore, 11 is always junior and 12 is always senior.

And there were no magnet schools; where you went was based on where you lived.
Then either junior college or college and then post-graduate... and then WORK- ugh&#33;

Now they&#39;ve gone back to high schools of 9-12 and generally combine grades 7 and 8 at one school. Also, I believe now in high school if you simply show up doing nothing but drooling, you don&#39;t even have to take final exams. Which irks me.

In FL we have the FCAT which every student must pass to graduate. So mostly the last four years of school are focussed on how to beat the test rather than any actual learning or development of students&#39; cognitive processes.... (state funding for each school is based on how well its students do on the test)

And you&#39;re right, Poiple Weezard, there is a school district for each and every county/parish in the US, and they are comprised of local citizens who must be elected. They basically set the curricula and policies for the all the schools in the district. Which is why you often hear about scary little podunk towns banning the word &quot;evolution&quot; from science classes...

Funding is very complicated, and frankly, I don&#39;t understand it. In FL. new buildings, textbooks, PCs, etc., are generally paid for via property taxes. Therefore, rich counties like Naples have better schools than the poor ones (isn&#39;t that always the way?). The State also kicks in money to pay for teachers&#39; salaries, etc. Not sure where the Feds come into all of it...

Was that way more than anyone wanted to know? Don&#39;t answer.

<span style='color:blue'>PS: I just love to hear about &#39;the stuff of life&#39; from other countries&#33; Even if it&#39;s mudane-like.</span>

Vagabond
Sat, 02-28-2004, 08:51 AM
Alright this is how i think funding works in the US. (note that before i wasn&#39;t faulting bush for everything. I just like to blame him for everything that goes wrong. http://forums.gotwoot.net/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif )

Most of the money for public schools comes from within the school district. I think they get the money from property tax or something. I think the county determines the property tax. The only role the federal government has is the whole no child left behind thing. Basically the schools have to give students tests that the government requires. Also at the end of the school year the school has to give the average grade of all the students in the school to the government. If they don&#39;t do this the government won&#39;t give them the money. The schools run on a very tight budget so they have to give the test even if they don&#39;t want to. I dunno if this is correct but this is what i&#39;ve been told.

hachimitsu
Sat, 02-28-2004, 10:17 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (VagabondLBD &#064; Feb 28 2004, 07:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>(note that before i wasn&#39;t faulting bush for everything. I just like to blame him for everything that goes wrong. http://forums.gotwoot.net/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif )</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
In Florida, we get to blame BOTH Bushes.

Official State Motto:
Shit&#33; Turns out we got the smart one.

Favorite bumper sticker seen recently:
Lick Bush in 2004

Second favorite:
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

Lys
Sat, 02-28-2004, 12:01 PM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JusDaMan @ Feb 26 2004, 03:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> And I dont kno y ppl say public school in US sux... i personally think its mad good. In my school Teachers DONT GIVE A SHIT about wat u do. and we can cut all we want. Also in lunch we gamble, fight, and play rap music all day. its all good. When u see someone u kno give em a pound and say &quot;sup son&quot; or &quot;yo nigga&quot;. Life in Public school is very good. I mean SURE we aint gonna be in college but who gives a dam on wats gonna happen in 4 years. For all we kno US aint gonna be here in 4 years. All we worry about is when we gettin laid.

As the old saying goes (to me anyway): If we the future the future is screwed&#33; </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
That really just confirmed how much public schools suck. Whether you like it or not, school IS/should be for learning. If you&#39;re gonna gamble/fight/play rap music or whatever else, what&#39;s even the point of going? Sure, the future is uncertain. But that doesn&#39;t mean sit around doing nothing because something MIGHT happen that would disrupt the system.

Our schools do have problems. The under-funded ones can&#39;t improve so they get closed, and the people who had to go to those schools have nowhere to go because usually they&#39;re too poor to live in the areas where the good schools are. I&#39;m in college now, and SO GLAD of it. Lots more range of classes too ...

By the way, I&#39;ve heard of a grade 13 in Canada .. do some schools have this or am I just making things up in my head?