PDA

View Full Version : Social system in Naruto

Gai
Sat, 02-21-2004, 11:28 AM
Does anyone else ever wonder about the morality of the social system used in Naruto? I mean, the government recruits children to turn them into weapons. The government takes money in exchange for protection, theft, and even murder. Were the First and Second Hokages heroes, or just mob bosses? What kind of life is left for these ninja children? They will kill or be killed until they are killed. You don't see many old ninja teaching at the academy.

Perhaps more importantly, what kind of society do we have that would so inculcate an upstanding youth like Rock Lee that he'd be willing to risk his very life just to become a ninja?

Haku no Fuyu
Sat, 02-21-2004, 11:33 AM
Ummm.......you do realize that they ARE ninja...
They aren't technically history's A-students.

Ugh....those eybrows...

Haku no Fuyu
Sun, 02-22-2004, 02:31 AM
They are trying to appeal to the young teen audience with this show. What fun would it be to see a show just about Kakashi and Gai? ......
Disregard what I just said...
That would be pretty cool...

Noonan
Sun, 02-22-2004, 02:53 AM
Actually it fits the Midieval / Renaisance mindset fine - the Kids are 13+ by the standards of those areas they are becoming adults and would be apprenticed off to a tradesman or married off possibly.

Keep in mind that the Ninja Villages apparently also serve as the Military of thier country in this world.. so thier ethical set is much closer to a budo/spartan thing rather than a modern western ethical set.

Everon
Sun, 02-22-2004, 03:36 AM
yeah, I'm new to anime, so when I first saw Naruto, it was episode with the fight between Hinata and Neji. For me it was a bit of a shock to watch little children fight each other. I didn't know any storyline, so I felt horrible when I saw the adults just standing there.

Its still a little wierd to watch the episodes -- seeing little kids fight to the death isn't something I'd call normal.

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Keep in mind that the Ninja Villages apparently also serve as the Military of thier country in this world.. so thier ethical set is much closer to a budo/spartan thing rather than a modern western ethical set. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

Keep in mind that these &quot;Ninja Villages&quot; are fantasy. Which means they were created for our entertainment. It doesn&#39;t matter whether or not Kishimoto created a world that reflects a spartan culture, what matters is, &quot;does this type of violence fit our ethics?&quot;

Chi Chi
Sun, 02-22-2004, 04:36 AM
Everon, if that is so, I&#39;d never watch the images of child soldiers in Africa.

Insomniac
Sun, 02-22-2004, 08:49 AM
The government doesnt recruite them, they choose to go through the academy.
Its THEIR decision from the beginning.

Aion
Sun, 02-22-2004, 08:52 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Crimson_Behelit @ Feb 21 2004, 11:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>government recruits children to turn them into weapons</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>government takes money in exchange for protection, theft, and even murder.</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

Welcome to the United States of America. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
Gold.

Insomniac
Sun, 02-22-2004, 09:34 AM
i think you&#39;re missing the fact that not everyone in the Naruto world is a ninja, its a voluntary thing unless the family demands it - not the government

Haku no Fuyu
Sun, 02-22-2004, 10:01 AM
The Ninja villiages are not part if the government. They are on level with it.

Insomniac
Sun, 02-22-2004, 10:04 AM
the villages are the government, they&#39;re the millitary too.

PSJ
Sun, 02-22-2004, 11:05 AM
umm this is an anime show. if you are concerned about stuff like that check the real world. and it is supposed to be a ninja anime. by the time ninjas were in use 13 year olds were practicly adults. what kishimoto did to naruto was that he made the ninja world a little more modern he didnt change the roles of the ninjas.

Uzumaki Kakashi
Sun, 02-22-2004, 11:51 AM
dude it is just an anime. who cares that much as long as it is enjoyable.

Gai
Sun, 02-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Well, really, what kind of choice do the kids have when they have to decide whether or not to go to the ninja academy when they&#39;re only seven years old? A child that young can basically be convinced of anything.

Haku no Fuyu
Sun, 02-22-2004, 12:44 PM
No they are not (the government part anyway). They mention the Fire country&#39;s Lord. Kakashi also says that they Government and the villiages are separate but equal, and that the villiages DO NOT rule the nations.

Vagabond
Sun, 02-22-2004, 12:47 PM
haha that would be like convincing a child to go to school. No childd would want to. Only the really dedicated ones would go. Also keep in mind not ever student that goes to the academy becomes a ninja. In naruto&#39;s class alone only 9 students became genins.

Crimson_Behelit
Sun, 02-22-2004, 01:00 PM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>government recruits children to turn them into weapons</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>government takes money in exchange for protection, theft, and even murder.</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

Welcome to the United States of America.

MightyDustLoop
Sun, 02-22-2004, 01:25 PM
LMAO

Power PMV
Mon, 02-23-2004, 02:28 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gai @ Feb 21 2004, 10:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Does anyone else ever wonder about the morality of the social system used in Naruto? I mean, the government recruits children to turn them into weapons. The government takes money in exchange for protection, theft, and even murder. Were the First and Second Hokages heroes, or just mob bosses? What kind of life is left for these ninja children? They will kill or be killed until they are killed. You don&#39;t see many old ninja teaching at the academy.

Perhaps more importantly, what kind of society do we have that would so inculcate an upstanding youth like Rock Lee that he&#39;d be willing to risk his very life just to become a ninja? </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
making parallelisms between reality and anime is not a very smart thing to do.

Mgslee
Mon, 02-23-2004, 02:31 AM
You must have more issues with Gun Slinger Girl....

The countries government (Run by Fuedal Lords) is seperate from the military (run by Kage&#39;s)

Ninja academy seems to be regular military type school, but everyone in the village must go since its the only school, but even if you pass you must volenteer to be a ninja (Ninja registration) and even then only a small portion of those volenteers become Genins...

Ethics and Fiction usually never work out... but Naruto has less issues then others IMO

Death BOO Z
Mon, 02-23-2004, 02:32 AM
besides, most of the time, genins won&#39;t get into mission that involve serious fighting and killing, the best they get is a bunch of bandits once in a while...

they become chunin at age 15 or something (most of them, regard this years exam and some super geniouses) and only then they get the chance to kill someone, so it&#39;s really not that diffrenett from being raised in a samurai family or living in a military boarding school.

Mut
Mon, 02-23-2004, 01:20 PM
i don&#39;t even know how to respond to this kind of stuff. this leaves me speechless.

khaodessy
Thu, 02-26-2004, 08:03 AM
like stated b4 you have to look at how the time is placed in naruto its a mix of modern day and b4 modern day. way back then what we would say is a teenager was then a young adult. not to mention they do live in a ninja village so chances of them being ninja&#39;s are very high. all this saying well they are kids this and that your minds are focus on how things are today not how they were.

Stoopider
Fri, 02-27-2004, 02:05 AM
Ninja&#39;s are supposed to flipout and kill people.

Well, they are assassins.

Power PMV
Sat, 02-28-2004, 07:15 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pervert-Sennin Jiraiya @ Feb 28 2004, 10:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gai &#064; Feb 23 2004, 05:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Well, really, what kind of choice do the kids have when they have to decide whether or not to go to the ninja academy when they&#39;re only seven years old? A child that young can basically be convinced of anything. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
you know they have the option of quitting whenever they want... why did you even think about this? i think you need to seperate reality from animation... animation is not real..... </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
exactly, stuff you see in a screen is not REAL&#33;&#33;&#33;

PSJ
Sat, 02-28-2004, 11:31 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gai @ Feb 23 2004, 05:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Well, really, what kind of choice do the kids have when they have to decide whether or not to go to the ninja academy when they&#39;re only seven years old? A child that young can basically be convinced of anything. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
you know they have the option of quitting whenever they want... why did you even think about this? i think you need to seperate reality from animation... animation is not real.....