PDA

View Full Version : Ebay.com

itachi_
Fri, 02-20-2004, 05:46 AM
I wondering some things about ebay, you canadians and americans are probably familiar with that site, and it's easy for you to shop there... Is it safe there, good dealings or is the whole site some big BS, like the info that the owner of the stuff has wrothe, is it some kind of check on them ? or do they offen trick you with money and the paysystem? there are a lot of things that i want to buy but i don't know, things there seem a little bit strange, like this yankees baseball with signatures, is it a real one or just a fake, how could i know..

Vagabond
Fri, 02-20-2004, 06:03 AM
meh you never know. Usually though there are like stars or something next to the persons name to tell if they are credible or not. I would think ebay is pretty reliable though.

KakashiSensei
Fri, 02-20-2004, 06:03 AM
Honestly I personally dont trust A site that caters to honestly of the average person. I mean its a great place for some people. But ebay just gives people a place to sell the stuff they dont want. there is no real company. But i have heard of very few complaints from my friends who shop on there. Actually no one really complains.

itachi_
Fri, 02-20-2004, 06:05 AM
yeah, i'm worried if I do buy things there and they have said the quality is "Exellent", "Very Good" and when i recieve the package then it looks like a rag or something, just bad!

Vagabond
Fri, 02-20-2004, 06:28 AM
Well what are you trying to buy? For something like a signed baseball, I personally wouldn't buy something like that online. The signature may look real but it may just be a print.

Uzumaki Kakashi
Fri, 02-20-2004, 06:40 AM
i have bought only one thing off of ebay. i was giong to buy a limo from ebay but when we drove to mass to see it it sucked.

instead i got a limo from a dealer. anuyways its hard sometimes to sell stuff. like i wanted to sell 1000 something pokemon cards but it didnt work out. i got them from my little bro and my cousin and i was going to sell them and split the money but i couldnt sell them.

rEkKaShInObI
Fri, 02-20-2004, 07:29 AM
good/bad

Xollence
Fri, 02-27-2004, 02:10 AM
If they cheat you, you can report them and eBay will investigate.

Swallow Your Soul
Fri, 02-27-2004, 02:41 AM
Generally ebay is a cool place, though here in the UK a lot of stuff is cheaper on play than it is on ebay 2nd hand! I've only been ripped off once on ebay and that was only for something small.

However, a mate of mine wanted to get a DVD writer, he knew he could get the standard model of the one he wanted in Manchester for about £80, but he found the advanced one on ebay, for which he bidded on and paid £105 for it when he won the auction. However, when it arrived in the post, it was not the one the seller had advertised, it was the bog standard one that my friend could have bought for 80 quid! He has complained to ebay, but the seller just came back with some bullshit that isn't even relevant to the situation, and so far ebay have done fuck all in trying to help my friend (who isn't exactly in the money) to get his money back or to punish the seller.

Be careful with who you deal with! Personally I wouldn't buy anything really big off there, just anime DVDs etc that are such a rip off in the shops (*cough* HELLSING *cough*) that you don't have much choice, or manga (if you look hard you can find some well ace stuff - I got 40 old manga comics containing Appleseed, shitloads of others and the entire story of Akira for like £7.

So in short, 99% of the time you will get a fair seller, theres just a few who are total twats...

EDIT - *wonders why the pound sign shows up as a question mark*

EDIT2 - quoi?? Now it shows up as a pound sign! WTF

hiroshi
Fri, 02-27-2004, 07:31 AM
Actually Ebay is very good. People tend to be scared of it, due to what appears to be the lack of security. I mean, you're only trusting another guy just like you after all, how do you know the guy won't rip you off?

Well firstly, if you read Ebay's statement when signing up, then as soon as a deal is made, they are obligated to follow it through. If it isn't, then you have legal rights to take them to court, thus ensuring that they won't rip you off in that sense.

The other thing, is about the quality of the product. It's true that sometimes there are people out there that try to rip you off in that sense, and thus i would never buy something like a car, etc. Where the product can be given in a shoddy state. But i would however, buy say computer hardware which cannot be sold in any worse condition than a 'working' condition.

You can normally trust all things that say "Buy now", because they are normally first hand equipment being sold through a third party (The person advertising). Also there is a grading system, go for people with mostly positive comments, if a guy has a ton of negative comments, i wouldn't trust him at all. If he has no comments, then don't trust him either. A seller should put his profile up with positive comments by buying things first, before trying to sell instantly with no comments at all.

I've bought many things across ebay, i got my GBA from there, my GBA Flash Cartridge from there, my IDE to USB 2.0 HardDrive case from there. Just watching the positive to negative rates, and you'll be fine.

But i would watch out for the Post and Packaging btw. Some sellers try to rip you off by putting an ultra low price for a product, but then charge a ton on post and packaging, making the product more expensive than retail. So always keep an eye on the post and packaging.

r3n
Fri, 02-27-2004, 08:14 AM
ive ordered quite a few different things off ebay, all of them without fault. jst make sure ur buying from someone who has a selling history, rather than a nooby