PDA

View Full Version : Patlabor!

Poiple Weezard
Fri, 02-13-2004, 10:49 AM
Sweetness to all degrees! During the summer when Otakon had their late-night showing of Patlabor WXIII, I was a little miffed that I had to leave early and missed it. I stopped off at my local anime rental place on my way home though and watched it that night. I was astounded at the depth of the storyline and the presentation. This wasn't just a good anime. This was a good movie for anyone. I saw this as a new gateway anime for people who like serious movies or cop dramas

Six months later and I just rented and watched Patlabor Movie 1. The animation isn't nearly as good, but that's fine with me considering it was made a decade and a half ago. For quality comparison, even on DVD its on par with Akira VHS. The characters, storyline, and presentation may be even better in this one, its really hard to tell.

At this point, I'm going to purchase Patlabor Movie 1 and order a Patlabor WXIII 3-DVD Ultimate Edition. Are the series, OVA's and 2nd movie on the same level as these? Should I rent them, buy them, or ignore them entirely?

hiroshi
Sat, 02-14-2004, 02:37 AM
Wth?! You can buy the box set for this for mega cheap! It's like some kind of Budget DVD which no-one seems to want. You're saying it's that good?

Damnit man, i've got to get it now. Why the hell is it going for so cheap?! It's like only £10 in your average retail store >_<;

($18.91 USD)

Uzumaki Naruto
Sat, 02-14-2004, 02:40 AM
dammit everytime i try to watch this dam movie im always falling asleep during the middle of the movie and just when it was getting to the good part of the dam movie to i hate it when that happens i curse them for showing it so dam late at night http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/dry.gif

Kumiriko
Sat, 02-14-2004, 02:55 AM
Ok. thats just a tad creepy. Patlabor2 the movie, i have seen it like 4 times but i dont remember the ending. it is like it dint have one. am i insain?

Poiple Weezard
Sat, 02-14-2004, 08:03 AM
When I say box-set for the ultimate edition, it has the DVD itself, a DVD of extras and a DVD labeled Mini-Pato (i think, may be misremembering it).

Its three DVD boxes wide. If its less than $20, its probably just the movie itself.

hiroshi
Sat, 02-14-2004, 08:46 AM
Nope. The Box Set i mentioned also has 3 DVDs in it.

Wth?! O_O;

Poiple Weezard
Sat, 02-14-2004, 08:53 AM
Why do you keep saying "With?"

EDIT: It would be nice if you could provide a URL for your "average retail store". Every place that I've checked online has it between $45-60

hiroshi
Sat, 02-14-2004, 10:05 AM
wth = What The Hell
there is a lack of an 'i' because it isn't a word, but a short-hand for a short sentence.

I can't remember the name of the shop i go to, but it's a huge book shop. I get a lot of anime from there for £10, but Patlabor is the boxset with 3 DVDs for £10 instead of a single DVD, unlike the other more popular animes.

The same applied to "Virus", which was why i bought it. Because it was a boxset of 3 DVDs for damn cheap http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/happy.gif

Next time i go, i shall take note of the name and give their website add.

Poiple Weezard
Sat, 02-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Sorry, my vision is slightly off. Coulda sworn I had seen an 'i'. Anyways, I double checked everywhere online for the prices. Please make certain that you are referring to the Patlabor WXIII Ultimate Edition box-set, also known as Patlabor Movie 3 or Patlabor Wasted Thirteen.

Cheapest place that I found it on my recent search had it for $39.99, but they aren't a reliable seller. Even amazon had new copies for over $35 at the cheapest. Most have it between $45-50.

hiroshi
Sun, 02-15-2004, 07:38 AM
oh right. In that case no. It's the original Patlabor in a BoxSet of 3 DVDs.

It isn't the 3rd movie. Sorry, i assumed you were talking about the first one from the topic title +_+