PDA

View Full Version : question

Raven
Sun, 02-01-2004, 02:21 AM
I think this has been discussed before, you just need to do a search - but:

I think kun is mainly used for young boys, or possibly those who are below you in rank or stature, or those who are younger than you.

San might be used for males or females, it's a general title that is more formal than kun or chan.

Chan is usually used for younger girls, but it can be used for males if the user is a very close friend or just being stupid.

Sama is for someone of high esteem, somebody who is a leader or well respected. Someone of a higher rank than you.

Please feel free to correct me anyone because this is only my own personal understanding of it.

Uzumaki Naruto
Sun, 02-01-2004, 02:31 AM
yea thats wut i believe it to be but im not really sure but ima wait and check and c if anybody else knows the answer to it but thanks anyways http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Assassin
Sun, 02-01-2004, 03:34 AM
im pretty sure CmDr_RavEn is rite....the only thing i would add is that kun can also be used when refering to males ur own age....same with chan.

atleast thats what i've seen in anime's http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

migawari
Sun, 02-01-2004, 05:59 AM
standard textbook defs:

-kun : mr.;ms. (used in adressing younger people or colleagues in place of -san or -sama)

-san : mr.;mrs.;ms.

-sama : mr.;mrs.;ms. (formal)

-chan : used after a person's given name to express intimacy and affection.

r3n
Sun, 02-01-2004, 07:48 AM
ah yeah i wanted to know that too, i always thought it was similar to french, and looks like it is. you have different versions of a verb when talking to some1 who is older and u respect, and for when u are talking to some1 the same age or youger than you.

Uzumaki Naruto
Sun, 02-01-2004, 01:58 PM
ok who in here is good in japanes, well heres my qestion how do u know when to adress someone with the sama, kun, san, for example, if u were to say o lets say, umm akira san or hokage sama, or sasuke kun, how do u know when to use them??