PDA

View Full Version : Neji and Shiryu... Kimimaro and Mu?

Wodball
Wed, 01-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Before people start flaming me for starting another comparison thread, please bear in mind that I have searched in about 4 different Naruto forums and found no reference to Shiryu, Saint Seiya, or anything Mu related so I think I might be making new ground or just publicizing other people's thought.

Therefore, I'll apologize in advance for repeating anything already on the forum...

This little comparison require that you know a little about Saint Seiya. I have the DVD's so I can check, but I'm writing this from memory as I don't have a DVD player here. If you need to find some background info, search Google, talk to others on the forum, then flame me. I could preferably do without the last one.

I also post this because Kishimoto makes reference to Saint Seiya to one of his volumes of Naruto, so I think there is sufficient cause to make a connect.

If it's anything I noticed about the Neji and Kidoumaru fight is that it plays out almost hit for hit like Shiryu's fight against Shura of Capricorn. In the anime Saint Seiya, Shiryu is the Dragon Saint who trained up in the mountains and sometimes beats out the main character (Seiya) in terms of intelligence and sheer power. Well, at least, in the beginning.

Neji and Shiryu both start off as super fighters trying to win some tournament. (Chuunin Exam and Galaxian Wars, respectively.) Each one goes up against the main character of the story (The name of the character is the title of the respective manga) and lose at the very last moment because of some fatal flaw. We know Neji's (Actually has two), but Shiryu has a technique flaw. When he charges up for his super move, he raises his hands in a fixed motion, exposing his heart. This is especially bad without his armor, a condition of which he fought in and is forced to fight in a lot later in the story.

They both train like heck and end up going up against a strong guy. This fight is interesting because it does go almost the same way. Here goes.

1. The character says, "He's mine." Other guys agree that goal is important. (Saving Sasuke and Athena... imagine comparing Sasuke to a girl... http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/dry.gif )
2. Even fight for about 2 minutes.
3. Good guy throws a huge attack (64 Hands of Hakke and Rozan Shouryuha) but bad guys isn't hurt at all.
4. Bad guy takes it up a notch, but the good guy busts out his defensive skill. (Kaiten and Dragon Shield, of which both are supposed to be inpenetrable.)
5. Bad guy disables the ultimate defense. (Kidoumaru webs up kaiten, while Shura chops the Dragon Shield in half.)
6. Bad guy stops and figures out a weakness that has been referred to previously.
(Byuakugan blind spot and heart exposure)
7. Bad guy takes advantage of this but can't kill the good guy because the good guy is just that lucky.
8. Good guys are resolved and takes a hit via their weakness. They are temporarily connected to the bad guy. Here Neji and Shiryu both have gaping holes in their chests, but kudos to Shiryu because he has a handblade in his heart!
9. Good guy takes advantage of connection by hurting the bad guy a lot.
10. Good guy severs connection and uses his last energy for a pretty much suicide move.
11. Both bad and good guys lie on the floor coughing blood. Well, except for poor Shura who's pretty dead before he hits the floor.

Granted, this is a formula for a lot of anime and manga fights, but is seems a little odd that so many of the features are so familiar.

Also, something else that's weird... could Kimimaro be a cameo appearence of Mu, the Gold Saint of Aries? (Aside from hair color, which I'm sure will be different.) Just find some picutres online and compare.

Insomniac
Wed, 01-28-2004, 09:51 AM
i guess it could be similiar but it seems like a standard formula to make things more exciting

as for the fight starting off even, Neji had the upper hand from the beginning of the actual fight until he excuted the 64 hands of hakke, after that he started to lose

PSJ
Thu, 01-29-2004, 02:50 AM
post a pic on that Mu guy in saint seiya please.

SygnusKain
Thu, 01-29-2004, 02:58 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pervert&#045;Sennin Jiraiya &#064; Jan 29 2004, 02:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>post a pic on that Mu guy in saint seiya please.</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
http://www.stseiya.com/oro_aries.jpg

Insomniac
Thu, 01-29-2004, 03:02 AM
eh well the only similiarity in appearence between Kimimaro and Mu seems to be the &#39; &#39; on the forehead, Mu looks abit more girly though

PSJ
Thu, 01-29-2004, 06:11 AM
i cant see anything exept his face and a shiny golden armor... isnt there any pics without the big armor? its kinda hard to decide fomr just that pic.

Wodball
Sat, 01-31-2004, 04:54 AM
This might not work, because I&#39;m using my old Yahoo&#33; Group to host the image.

http://f5.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gGAbQKJIAnhO1IDd_Blp9A6HWgvJK8duJe5un-zYLAzQd_Z-rxiK6ckBbKmA_fzqmGkmCPe3tMYcGxB8ekzG/mu1.jpg

http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gGAbQG0UDbxO1IDdmLyn32CUQuJnCnIwtPA6tJR-wIwnFnQOfOx0AOPS4llj34GLwP_0wrOZxVaTTy_2X2Tw/mu2.jpg

If not, I&#39;ll just let the issue go to rest.