PDA

View Full Version : may be a dumb question

ssjtrunks585
Mon, 01-26-2004, 03:47 AM
thanks for telling me the extra port range, i actually just realized them in the preferences menu for the client, so my bad there...i opened the extras, and its still going really slow, so i think im gonna get rid of Shad0w's client and go back to the regular 3.3...i shouldn't have messed with a good thing, lol

ssjtrunks585
Mon, 01-26-2004, 12:34 PM
i had the original BT 3.3, and I opened the ports. i usually get between 200-300 kb/s everytime i dl something. Recently, i got Shad0w's experimental client to see what it was like, but now im lucky to even get 100kb/s...are there oher ports, or am i just getting worried about nothing but a slow server here?

sarf
Mon, 01-26-2004, 01:31 PM
The difference between Shad0ws client and the original client is that the original client only uses up to 9 ports (by default) while Shad0ws client uses up to 119 by default (I think... or that might have been caused by Burst!). This determines how many simultaneous BT transfers you can have going at the same time.

If you are interested in exact port numbers, the original BT client uses 6881-6889, and Shad0ws client (or Burst! or whatnot) uses 6881-6999.

The slowdown you notice seem strange - have you tried downloading the same torrent (or restarting it) with the original client? Oh, and note that when you connect to a torrent with more than 40-60 seeders/leechers you will get a random selection of seeders/leechers from the server (probably using some sort of load-balancing algorithm).

Sarf
---
Occam was never the target of a conspiracy.

sarf
Sat, 01-31-2004, 11:52 AM
Strange. I have noticed little difference between Shad0ws client and the original client. Oh well, I'll test it myself (and I'll thank you properly if I get better speeds too http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif ).

Just a last minute note - you can do some pretty strange/advanced thing with Shad0ws client - check out the preferences and fiddle around with them a bit to see if you can get better performance.

Sarf
---
It's an Elder Thing -- you wouldn't understand.

sarf
Wed, 02-11-2004, 06:06 AM
I've been testing this out - it really seems as if BT v3.3 is faster... but I still want all the fuzzy gadgets of Shad0ws client! http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Oh well... now I get my daily dose of fully legal material faster - thanks!

Sarf
---
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.