PDA

View Full Version : OGM Groups

Munsu
Fri, 01-23-2004, 03:19 AM
Just out of curriosity, can someone help me make a list of people that release the episodes in ogm...

The ones I know are:

Animehq
Zhentarim
Anime Xtreme
Anime-4ever

Those are the ones I know from the top of my head... can someone help me complete this list...

BadGuy
Fri, 01-23-2004, 08:21 AM
OmegAnime does ogm releases. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Actually what you are looking at are DVD-ripping groups. ogm is just usefull if you have multiple (audio) streams. Which isn't really something you will find on fansubs.

There aren't many groups out there that do decent dvd-rips... AnimeXPlosion does decent ones. Zhenatrim is quite good aswell... Don't know anymore though....

Munsu
Fri, 01-23-2004, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I know what an OGM is, I just want to make a list of groups that make their releases in that format...

Thanks for adding OmegAnime and AnimeXPlosion... oh and thanks for the specification of dvd-ripping groups, maybe someone will understand better this way

anyone else knows more groups?

itachi_
Fri, 01-23-2004, 08:59 AM
I haven't seen .ogm's with subtitles included, only with vobsub that's 100000 hours after the dub.

Munsu
Fri, 01-23-2004, 09:55 AM
that's fine because i never use the dub... if used the dub i would turn off the subtittles...

complich8
Sat, 01-24-2004, 05:46 AM
I know for a while baka-updates was keeping track of dvd rip releases...

might check their site ( www.baka-updates.com ('http://www.baka-updates.com') ) -- they don't have a listing of the file format, but they at least tell you who, what and where.

I'm kinda confused about what itachi said .... but I don't think I'll question it. ogm is good for subripped softsubs (supports rendering .srt files), and good for multi-audio, but other than that is at least as bad a container as avi is. I like mkv for its .ssa support (styled subs instead of crappy single-style stuff), and other people have lots of things to say about it .... but if you're getting ogm's that aren't showing subs and you don't have a little green arrow in the systray (or the option to turn them on in mplayer, or whatever) then you are probably missing some software. I've personally experienced little mistiming in ogm's, largely because most dvd's aren't horribly mistimed.... but a slow system could lag quite a bit, as could a bad player. Check your system load while you're trying to play them, if the subs are lagging consistently.

Munsu
Sat, 01-24-2004, 10:01 AM
humm doesnt ogm support .ssa? At least that's what ahq uses... maybe I misunderstood you

The one hard subs that I hate are the ones that anime-xtreme uses... they seem to have some problems when they say "I"... it always sticks to the word before that or after that, I dont know if anyone experiences the same problem

thanks for baka updates

BadGuy
Sun, 01-25-2004, 06:16 AM
Well Anime-Xtreme is one of the lesser dvd ripping groups they put out some decent stuff but alot is quite crooked. IE timing and quality in general.

Also any mistiming on subs is due to your ogm splitter or vobsub. OGM is quite a pain as a container and not having a recent ogm splitter will mean no subs delayed subs and such.

Uuuh and ogm doesn't 'support' ssa. It can mux .srt files but no ssa files. Atleast I've never gotten that to work (not tried but I'm positive it wasn't an option) also using ssa instead of .srt is just a waste. As the styles and effects .ssa can apply will all just fanish as vobsub would make it all default to the user settings.

Munsu
Sun, 01-25-2004, 07:40 AM
Well, i dont really know how it all works, but how come AHQ uses .ssa files to display the subtittles for their ogm files...

BadGuy
Wed, 01-28-2004, 10:03 AM
you aren't very clear neither. "using .ssa files to display subtitles" first thing would be how do you know they are .ssa files. Because when the file is muxed into ogm (which is basicly what you do with ogm) you can't really see that. Or they may be hardsubbed... Which is generally what you would use ssa for

complich8
Thu, 01-29-2004, 03:24 AM
if that's the case, then the ssa is separate. It's not being contained within the video file itself, it's being packaged separately.

DirectVobSub is really frigging smart, you see. So if you take a .ssa file that's got the same name as your video file (except with .ssa instead of .avi or .ogm at the end), and you stick em' in the same directory, it'll play.

For a fun experiment, rename one of the .ssa's to some hardsubbed video file (say a read or die ep, or some movie, or whatever you've got lying around that's a .avi). Stick it in the same directory as that file, and play that file. Directvobsub will render the subs there, even though the video stream isn't the one it's supposed to go with.

OGM makes that stuff internal, through a process we call "muxing" -- it makes the subtitles into a stream in the file, rather than a separate file. This is nifty, and keeps things cleaner than having two files lying around. But it doesn't support .ssa, so I think groups like ahq are probably stuck with the choice: find a way to convert ssa to srt (this isn't particularly difficult, but you lose a degree of control over the subtitles this way), stop working with .ssa entirely (good solution if you're ripping the subs and not retiming them or doing anything too fancy), go to a different container like mkv, or give you two files for the price of one with a separate script.

Seems like they're picking the last option, from what you're saying. I'd personally probably avoid that, since it seems like kind of a waste of the potential of the ogm container. But that's just my opinion.

Munsu
Thu, 01-29-2004, 03:51 AM
Ok thanks for clearing that up... from what i understand the ogm container cant contain the subtittles of an .ssa file... but with vobsub the subtittles will play...

OK now that that's cleared up... if someone comes up with anymore dvd ripping groups please post them... although the ones posted are actually the ones I was looking for...

BadGuy
Thu, 01-29-2004, 11:36 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (complich8 @ Jan 29 2004, 08:24 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> if that&#39;s the case, then the ssa is separate. It&#39;s not being contained within the video file itself, it&#39;s being packaged separately.

DirectVobSub is really frigging smart, you see. So if you take a .ssa file that&#39;s got the same name as your video file (except with .ssa instead of .avi or .ogm at the end), and you stick em&#39; in the same directory, it&#39;ll play.

For a fun experiment, rename one of the .ssa&#39;s to some hardsubbed video file (say a read or die ep, or some movie, or whatever you&#39;ve got lying around that&#39;s a .avi). Stick it in the same directory as that file, and play that file. Directvobsub will render the subs there, even though the video stream isn&#39;t the one it&#39;s supposed to go with.

OGM makes that stuff internal, through a process we call &quot;muxing&quot; -- it makes the subtitles into a stream in the file, rather than a separate file. This is nifty, and keeps things cleaner than having two files lying around. But it doesn&#39;t support .ssa, so I think groups like ahq are probably stuck with the choice: find a way to convert ssa to srt (this isn&#39;t particularly difficult, but you lose a degree of control over the subtitles this way), stop working with .ssa entirely (good solution if you&#39;re ripping the subs and not retiming them or doing anything too fancy), go to a different container like mkv, or give you two files for the price of one with a separate script.

Seems like they&#39;re picking the last option, from what you&#39;re saying. I&#39;d personally probably avoid that, since it seems like kind of a waste of the potential of the ogm container. But that&#39;s just my opinion. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
Jup jup all true complich8... and it is a waste to put in an extra file if you can just mux it in with the ogm. And ssa is easily converted to srt.

Munsu
Thu, 01-29-2004, 01:06 PM
OK, I wasnt to clear, probably phrased it wrong...

But i know it is a .ssa because you actually see the file... for example when you download from AHQ you usually download a .rar that includes a .ogm file and an .ssa file...

Iskandar Zulkarnain
Tue, 02-03-2004, 02:24 AM
Do these fansub groups have their own website?

Munsu
Tue, 02-03-2004, 08:06 AM
go to www.anidb.net and browse the group lists... they give you their website