PDA

View Full Version : Bit download problems

Shadow_X
Thu, 01-22-2004, 10:35 AM
So I'm going around trying to download some anime. When I click on the button to download it, it autimaticly extracts the files from online and shoves a DivX window up. It then says Failed to open file. Please check that it is a valid AVI or MPEG-4 file. Now I know that my comp isn't going to download some 150 mg.'s of info instantly(In my dreams) so I tryed to download from source to my hardrive. Again it instantly downloaded it and pops up with the same screan.

How do I properly extract the files anyone?

thanks for any help.

sarf
Fri, 01-23-2004, 11:47 AM
Try downloading a BitTorrent client and following some instructions I've posted here ('http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7131') - please post to this topic and report your success/failure!

Good luck!

Sarf
---
"Well, it looks like blind, screaming hedonism won out."

Shadow_X
Mon, 01-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Well, Its working now, and I'm able to download anime and convert it onto my comp. Well, I don't know much about downloading anime but is it supposed to take 3 hours to download one episode from a series? It was averageing 20 kb/s. Is that low or is it normal?

sarf
Mon, 01-26-2004, 12:06 PM
20 kb/s might be good or bad depending on your connection. Tell me more about that and I may be able to answer you (using an ADSL router, behind a firewall, using a 56.6K dial-up et cetera).

Sarf
---

Shadow_X
Thu, 01-29-2004, 02:06 AM
Well, Now I'm averageing about 10k/s. I'm useing cable internet. Comcast to be spacific. On other programs that I download, I average about 140k/s. But anime just takes longer I guess.

sarf
Sat, 01-31-2004, 11:48 AM
Hmm... perhaps you are using some sort of firewall? Your cable-modem might be acting as one... open up ports 6881-6999 if that is the case.

Other than that, maybe you are downloading torrents that do not have much bandwidth associated with them? This is often the case when downloading old torrents (and quite the reverse situation takes place with new and popular things).

Sarf
---
It's always easier to just fall than to try to climb.

Shadow_X
Wed, 02-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Well, now some files go @ 40k, some @ 1k. Just depends on the seeds and peers. BTW, what is the difference between seeds and peers. From what I can see seeds are more important but I don't know what they mean. I know it has something to do with how many computers it can find with the info on it but the exact details behind what seeds show and peers show is unkown to me.

Well, thanks for all the help sarf, I really apritiate it.

Shadow_X
Mon, 02-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Well, Now I have another problem. So there I am trying to download the first 10 Nurato episodes from this site, and I click and start to download. The meater says it's going to take about 12 hours, so I minimize it and let it cool for a while, I come back and it says it froze 45 min. into it. Well, it keeps freezing and I have to keep downloading it in 45 min. sections. Now it's not always 45 minutes, sometimes it's more or less. It really depends on how often I check up on it and if I let it sit there for to long it freezes as well. So is this normal?

tokijin
Tue, 02-10-2004, 02:26 AM
umm....ur problem with the bt freezing might be the tracker not u so maybe u should try to find them on a different tracker if at all possible (not that i really know much about bt anyways)

i got a problem my self....no matter how many peers or seeds im connected to i almost always get a speed of 1-2 kps which is horrible i used to get a max a 15kps which from what im seeing on other forums is nothing compared to others...i've tried everythin

I've opened up the necessary ports for my router, i've disabled the firewall on the router, i us windows xp and the internal firewall it was isnt enabled so its not that, and probably a few things i cant think of now is there anythin else i can do to pick up my speed even a little bit

o and i use shadows experimental client....hmmm i think i covered all the necessary info...o and i have a belkin router http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif i think thats all now

can anyone help me out???? please....???

Shadow_X
Tue, 02-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Ha, I think I got this one!

So it seams that you have all your cards layed out correctly and all your softwear is in order. So that means it might be your hardwear. Maybe you have really low RAM? What is your current RAM? And you do have cable internet right?

tokijin
Wed, 02-11-2004, 09:08 AM
well....the only other dl program i've ever used is kazaa and i dont think the two programs can really compare but i do get better speeds with kazaa sometimes...

with my current bt im uploading at 8kb/s and downloading at 0kb/s my max upload is 15 kb/s (at least thats my understanding of it)....im connected to 7 peers and 7 seeds....

i have only tried the official bt client and also some other experimental client but not much difference....the first client i used was workin pretty well for a while but i dont remember which one it was (i think it was the 3.3 experimental from scarywater site)

Shadow_X
Wed, 02-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Well, if non of the other clients work, and your softwear is in order, then it has to be your hardwear. But the softwear section is VERY broad. So we'll keep looking there untill were positive. I've come across quite a few different BT clients, so try them all and see what works. At this moment I'm useing Shadows Experimental and getting an average of 40 k's out of it. On the Nurato series I'm getting an average of 80 k's sometimes It even goes up to 130 k's. But I'm useing Internet Explorer and have a DSL Cable conection. I try'ed putting in a different port on my proxy server that Sarf suggested but thats all I have done and these are the results I'm getting.

Power PMV
Wed, 02-11-2004, 01:20 PM
BitTorrent speed doesn't have much to do with RAM, it just depends on the conexion and seeds. What is your speed with other downloading programs? Have you tried another BT client? Are you uploading a lot (i.e. Almost all of your bandwidth)?

Power PMV
Thu, 02-12-2004, 04:10 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tokijin @ Feb 11 2004, 08:08 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> well....the only other dl program i&#39;ve ever used is kazaa and i dont think the two programs can really compare but i do get better speeds with kazaa sometimes...

with my current bt im uploading at 8kb/s and downloading at 0kb/s my max upload is 15 kb/s (at least thats my understanding of it)....im connected to 7 peers and 7 seeds....

i have only tried the official bt client and also some other experimental client but not much difference....the first client i used was workin pretty well for a while but i dont remember which one it was (i think it was the 3.3 experimental from scarywater site) </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
what is your conexion? what is the fastest you download from a website or in Kazaa? I think that if your conexion is bad you should upload very little while you are downloading (make uploading 1 k so that all the bandwidth can be used for downloading) but then try to leave it uploading after it is done so that more people can dowload it http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/wink.gif

sarf
Fri, 02-13-2004, 02:36 AM
I recommend people to use the original BitTorrent 3.3 client - I have noticed a significant difference in the speeds I get with it compared with the speeds I get from Burst&#33; and Shad0ws client (and I still don&#39;t know why http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/sad.gif ).

BitTorrent uses algorithms that ensure that people who upload stuff to others get to download the file faster, so strangling your upload speed might not be the best idea.

Sarf
---
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

Hakeem_21
Mon, 02-16-2004, 10:07 AM
I need the best bittorent out there. Can somebody help me fast so i can download Naruto,PMK.

bitwar
Tue, 02-17-2004, 06:58 AM
Hey, I&#39;ve run into this problem about four times now, and three within the last 2 days. The files download to where I&#39;m 95-99% done, and then it locks up with the estimated time remaining climbing. I let it go and nothing happens for a whole day, I cancel out and come back and it refuses to connect to peers. One of the files, I just deleted the partially (mostly) completed file and started all over again and I connected to peers right away. And then 95% of the way through, it locked up again. What the hell is going on? I had this happen on tv-nihon&#39;s torrent site once, and yesterday and today on this site&#39;s Read or Die TV torrents (episodes 2 and 3). It&#39;s not that no one&#39;s on to get the file from, because there was a 2 minute gap between quitting episode 2, deleting the partial file, and starting again, and once I started (as I stated earlier) I connected right away. I&#39;ve downloaded other files from both this site and others. I successfully downloaded Rod TV episode 1 (while downloading 2 at the same time) and also a couple of Naruto episodes. Is trying to download two different files at once screwing something up? http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/unsure.gif HELP&#33;&#33;&#33;

Sergeant Chia
Tue, 02-17-2004, 07:34 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bitwar @ Feb 17 2004, 05:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Hey, I&#39;ve run into this problem about four times now, and three within the last 2 days. The files download to where I&#39;m 95-99% done, and then it locks up with the estimated time remaining climbing. I let it go and nothing happens for a whole day, I cancel out and come back and it refuses to connect to peers. One of the files, I just deleted the partially (mostly) completed file and started all over again and I connected to peers right away. And then 95% of the way through, it locked up again. What the hell is going on? I had this happen on tv-nihon&#39;s torrent site once, and yesterday and today on this site&#39;s Read or Die TV torrents (episodes 2 and 3). It&#39;s not that no one&#39;s on to get the file from, because there was a 2 minute gap between quitting episode 2, deleting the partial file, and starting again, and once I started (as I stated earlier) I connected right away. I&#39;ve downloaded other files from both this site and others. I successfully downloaded Rod TV episode 1 (while downloading 2 at the same time) and also a couple of Naruto episodes. Is trying to download two different files at once screwing something up? http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/unsure.gif HELP&#33;&#33;&#33; </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
I had a similar problem, turned out that my router was the main problem. I hadn&#39;t opened the proper ports that BT needed to run properly. I thought I had, but I did it completly incorrectly.
I checked D-Links site (maker of my router) and it actually had directions on how to open the ports properly for Bit Torrent.
After that, not only did things download correctly. but they were also much MUCH faster.

I don&#39;t know if you have a router or not, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

bitwar
Tue, 02-17-2004, 07:44 AM
I have a 2wire DSL modem. I don&#39;t know where to find anything about ports. I was talking to someone online and lookign around the forums more. I guess people just don&#39;t have the full files for the episodes I want. So I&#39;m downloading the huge-o episode 1-13 batch. hopefully people on there have the whole thing of that. Otherwise I&#39;ll be very not-happy about this. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif Oh well. Thanks anyways. (Keep Rod TV 1-13 seeded&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/mf_laughbounce2.gif )

chaos4ever
Sun, 02-22-2004, 02:41 AM
for incomplete downloads, check if there are any seeds or if there the number of distributed copies is &gt; 1. if there are no seeds and there is no more than one distributed copy, you won&#39;t complete the download. Also, there are some peers that have really slow uploads to your computer, especially if it&#39;s a high peer to seed ratio, and if there distro volume is low, so it would take awhile to complete the download. it took me two weeks to download a complete series because of the terrible ratio (somewhere on the order of 300:5 or something)

chaos4ever
Sun, 02-22-2004, 02:42 AM
for incomplete downloads, check if there are any seeds or if there the number of distributed copies is &gt; 1. if there are no seeds and there is no more than one distributed copy, you won&#39;t complete the download. Also, there are some peers that have really slow uploads to your computer or they cap the number of people the upload the file to, especially if it&#39;s a high peer to seed ratio, and if there distro volume is low, so it would take awhile to complete the download. it took me two weeks to download a complete series because of the terrible ratio (somewhere on the order of 300:5 or something)