PDA

View Full Version : Video Question

Drunken_Lord
Thu, 01-22-2004, 08:19 AM
Ok, I've got a Compaq Presario 1200 Notebook with a 500MHz AMD-K6 chip, 128 Mb ram, and a some Cyberblade video card that uses 8 Mb of ram for video. Now, I would think a setup like that would be good enough to play any video file that I want. But whenever I try to play a video, like an .avi or .mpeg, or whatever, the audio always gets ahead of the video (so I hear something then see what it is 5 seconds later). So my question is, what's the best player and/or setup in order for the video and sound to be synched (sp?). Now, I don't care if it skips a couple of frames here and there so long as the video and sound are on the same page. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Notes: I'm running Windows 98SE, and the video players I have tried are Windows Media Player 9, Global DivX Player, and whatever version of Windows media player is in the windows folder. They all eventually get out of sync.

hiroshi
Fri, 01-23-2004, 04:52 AM
I've also had that same problem with my laptop. I've been told it's RAM related, but with 128mb's i would expect you to be able to watch it fine. o_O

It could be simply because you're using Win98SE which has older versions of the default codecs. Try downloading WMP9 codecs separatly and installing them (Not the WMP9 itself but the codecs.).

Also make sure you're not running much in the background, and the taskbar is pretty empty. Also make sure your drivers are up to date, such as your audio and video drivers. Also make sure you have a good up to date version of the codec required to run that particular file installed on the laptop itself.

I wouldn't use anything less than Win2000. Win98 just dosn't cut it in todays multimedia requirements.

Shikai
Fri, 01-23-2004, 05:34 AM
had a prob like that when i was watching rod at a friends place.. Kurenai had dl rod 1 en put it on cd.. but when my friend copied the rod to his HD and played the file, the sound got ahead of the video.. then he played it from the cd.. well maybe this is same case as yours.. other wise I've been no help.. hopefully the next guy knows the right answer

Kurenai
Fri, 01-23-2004, 05:56 AM
Most of the time it is not the hardware that makes the problem but the file it self. Try to time when a word is said and the image that has to be with it appears. Close the program start it up again and see if the time is the same for the word and image. If the times are the same it has to do something the file. If the times are different it has to do with the hardware.
It also makes a difference if you are playing it from cd or from HDD. Cd is most of the time a little slower so try to always watch it from HDD accept for dvds http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif .

Hoop it works out.