PDA

View Full Version : Firewalled bittorrent

BadGuy
Sat, 01-17-2004, 06:50 AM
Uuh yeah don't screen this one as a general 'open up those fcking ports' question. I have opened all the ports and it just worked... but right now. BT is giving me the 'yellow' light and slow speeds (even when connected to 8 seeds). Yellow light would mean 'firewalled' uuuh the ports are open and it worked. I rebooted once and now this is happening. I checked my ports and went to see if it routed to the right IP-address and ofcourse check if the IP-address was still correct. Both checked out.

Are there any suggestions? This problem just occured after a reboot and is happening with all trackers.

P.S. Going to try and get a new BT version see if that clears it up.

Rock Lee
Sat, 01-17-2004, 07:06 AM
Lemme guess your using DSL and shadow's client? I had the same problem theres really not away to fix the light thing. Theres an option somewhere to force it to show green even if it thinks its firewalled which si what i used if the light bothers you that much may as well change the option. As far as the speed goes oddly enough turning down my UL helps me out alot. THe reason shadow's sees it was firewalled if your using DSL is because it is behind a router on the ISP end which serves the same purpose. Thats how it was expalined to me by another. As far as limiting the UL goes my Ul caps at some crappy like 15 i turned it down to 10 by setting it to "DSL/CABLE slow" and turning it down to 10kbps i get much better dl speeds that way not sure why but im not gonna complain.

BadGuy
Sat, 01-17-2004, 07:34 AM
Alright... what happend is this when I rebooted some how... My IP got changed by my DHCP server. While it should be binded to the MAC address... Ohwell guess it can't be helped. So I changed the IP in the routing table and things are going sweet as ever. Rock lee... for download you need upload one needs another. To get the right speeds there should be some talk between the client and host. This is why lowering the upload a bit will improve download speeds. I can assure you however that this will have little effect when you are 'firewalled' (downloads going over 18 Kb/s will be rare).

About the isp I know DSL uses routers in their modems. I don't know about special routers that are behind the client though. Don't think there are. Would be more trouble than it's worth. If your ISP supplied your modem. Did you ever try getting another modem/adsl router? That might solve something.