PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screen of Death when waching anime

Evil_Sasuke
Sat, 01-17-2004, 03:06 AM
Everytime i try to watch anime and some other divx files while playing the video will stop, and then the screen pops up and restarts my comp. It happens everytime. Can n e 1 help me?

EnergyCallingMe
Sat, 01-17-2004, 03:09 AM
let me guess the sound still plays but ur monitor is all black and shut off am i right ?if so i have somethign that fixes hehe used to happen to me all the time

Xollence
Sat, 01-17-2004, 03:28 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FlatulationNoJutsu @ Jan 17 2004, 04:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> well i can recommend a few things, though they might not work.
first: try reinstalling whatever media player you are using.
second: try reinstalling the codecs or maybe even get some other ones (www.3ivx.com)
third: go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp ('http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp') , choose your country, install the client, and scan your hard disk(s). hey, viruses can be ass minstrels these days so it wouldnt hurt to scan. btw, this site has the newest stuff for scanning and its free too.

if none of these three suggestions help at all, please respond and i shall concoct another plan http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
If that doesn&#39;t work you should just reformat your hd. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif

WAveOfFire
Sat, 01-17-2004, 03:41 AM
OR&#33;&#33;&#33; get this great codec pack

ffdshow best thing out there. Has codecs for pretty much everything

Legato 2057
Sat, 01-17-2004, 03:47 AM
It must be the anti-anime update that Bill Gates created...

Evil_Sasuke
Sat, 01-17-2004, 04:57 AM
Nope everything shuts off at one time and restarts

FlatulationNoJutsu
Sat, 01-17-2004, 05:53 AM
well i can recommend a few things, though they might not work.
first: try reinstalling whatever media player you are using.
second: try reinstalling the codecs or maybe even get some other ones (www.3ivx.com)
third: go to http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp ('http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp') , choose your country, install the client, and scan your hard disk(s). hey, viruses can be ass minstrels these days so it wouldnt hurt to scan. btw, this site has the newest stuff for scanning and its free too.

if none of these three suggestions help at all, please respond and i shall concoct another plan http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Crimson_Behelit
Sat, 01-17-2004, 06:56 AM
Just wondering, did this problem start occurring AFTER you installed Media Player 9?
Installing Windows Media Player 9 might have been your biggest mistake...
You are aware that Media Player 9 allows Microsoft to check what media files are in your computer right? Sneaky bastards even say it &quot;carefully worded&quot; in the license agreement. In addition, once installed, it is virtually impossible to uninstall Media Player 9. Your only hope of uninstalling it is doing a system restore and that&#39;s only useful IF you were thoughtful enough to make restore point prior to installing Media player 9. Not only that, but Media Player 9 is BUGGY AS HELL when compared to Media Player 8, or even Media Player Classic for that matter. At this point, it&#39;s actually not a bad idea to do a fresh install of Windows. But before you do, try installing &quot;Divx Player&quot; from http://download.divx.com/player/DivXPlayerInstaller.exe ('http://download.divx.com/player/DivXPlayerInstaller.exe') just to see what happens. If that program doesn&#39;t work and you are still getting the blue screen of death, then I am afraid reinstalling XP might be your only option my friend. Just remember, if you reinstall XP, AVOID MEDIA PLAYER 9 AT ALL COSTS&#33;

Crimson_Behelit
Sat, 01-17-2004, 07:25 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Evil_Sasuke @ Jan 17 2004, 03:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Nope everything shuts off at one time and restarts </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
More information would be helpfull. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif
What type of machine to you have? &quot;cpu type, ram, chipset, sound card&quot;
What operating system are you currently using?
What video player software are you using?
Have you tried other video players?
Does it only happen with certain videos, or all videos?
Do other programs produce the blue screen of death? http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

The more complete the information, the easier it is the solve your problem. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Evil_Sasuke
Sat, 01-17-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info, I have to put all my stuff on cd and restore my system. Thank you

Evil_Sasuke
Sat, 01-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Sony Vaio Laptop
Amd Athlon 1.4 Ghz
256mb ram
ATI 3d rage Mobility M1 graphics chip
Im using WIndows Xp
I use Windows Media player version 9
Yes I have tried different video players: Radlight, BSplayer, Real One
It only happens when it I watch Divx it says a memory dump happens then restarts

Crimson_Behelit
Sun, 01-18-2004, 07:07 AM
Hmmm, I would tend to agree with Hiroshi. Usually, when you see the blue screen of death in XP, it is in fact a hardware problem. But like Evil_Sasuke said, it only happens when he plays divx files. That would lead me to believe that the problem is associated with his media player 9 installation. Such a problem might include...
A. Two programs that just don&#39;t like each other.
B. A program trying to use an area of the ram that is already used.
C. A corrupted program.
But Hiroshi is right, a hardware problem is entirely possible. Luckily, something like that can be easily checked with a stress test. You could run the Final Fantasy 11 benchmark in high resolution mode or take the most demanding 3d game you can find and run it with all the graphic settings at full. Stressing your hardware to it&#39;s timing limit will instantly reveal if it has any hardware problems. Personally, I still don&#39;t think hardware is the problem. Watching a episode of Naruto for example, would only push the a CPU of that type to a 50-55% load. Simply starting windows is a bigger stress on the system then running a divx file. If is was a motherboard problem, I think he would have noticed a lot more blue screens of death before now. If it is a hardware problem, it&#39;s more likely to be something like a flaky stick of ram.

hiroshi
Sun, 01-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Meh...

Ok. There is one hardware which could depend on what you run. The HardDrive itself.

If the HardDrive itself is messed up, your PC might blue screen you when it tries to run over corrupted information, and shut your PC down to prevent any harm from coming to your hardware. I had this problem once myself.

Obviously, movie file types take up the most information &quot;side by side&quot; on the harddrive. Like a stream of information. Whilst something like a game is dotted all over the harddrive because a number of different files are used in conjunction with each, and no single file is as big as a movie file.

If your computer dosn&#39;t blue screen during the running of games, then it&#39;s quite possible that your harddrive is messed up. How many HardDrives do you have?
If you use two harddrives. Take out the second harddrive and try to get along without it for a few days. If it&#39;s ok, then it could possibly be your primary harddrive (The one with the OS on). If it is, it&#39;s a lot more hassle to figure out because it would mean installing the OS on the other drive simply to test it ¬_¬;;

Actually a better idea.... Go to my computer, right click a harddrive, go to properties, go to tools, and click on scandisk and auto fix errors. It will then ask you to restart the computer in order to run the program, say Yes and restart. Now WATCH THE SCAN&#33;&#33;&#33; It may take a while, but at a point in the scan you may end up with a TON of tunacations (sp?). If you get loads of them in a row, your harddrive is definitly messed up. But it WILL NOT STOP during the scan. Even if it finds something wrong, it will just trunacate it and carry on and because it&#39;s trunacated it you won&#39;t know if it was the problem even if you do a second scan&#33; So you MUST watch it the first time around.

I had this problem once myself as well as my motherboard. Jeez... when you have two hardware failures at the same time, it makes your diagnoses impossible i tell ya. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Edit:
I find it unlikely to be Media Player causing the blue screens, seeing as it&#39;s an integrated part of windows. Microsoft have made it so if an integrated part of the OS fails, all it does is shut down or reboot. Ever seen your Desktop disappear and reload before? That&#39;s because an important program has failed in the background, but instead of a system freeze like the older OS&#39;s, it simply reboots all the components related to it, including the failed program. That&#39;s why it&#39;s so unlikely to be WMP, or a software related thing.

Crimson_Behelit
Sun, 01-18-2004, 09:11 AM
It is true that windows XP is normally quite stable in that when a program produces error, it trys to restart all assosiated programs and refreshes the desktop. But this is not ALWAYS the case. The simple fact of the matter is, a blue-screen can be a memory allocation error, or bad memory, or bad hardware, or bad drivers, or programs stepping on each other, or a dll/other file that was overwritten by an older version during a software install, or a whole bunch of other things. Without the actual error codes generated by the blue screen, it is very hard to figure out exactly what the problem is. I only say that based on the information that Evil_Sasuke has given, it seems likely to be a software related problem. And if that problem started occuring AFTER he installed WMP9, then it is VERY likely that the problem is WMP9 related.

hiroshi
Sun, 01-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Sorry but it sounds like a hardware failure. What OS are you using?

If it&#39;s XP and you&#39;re getting a blue screen followed by a shutdown. Then it&#39;s DEFINITLY a hardware failure with no doubt about it.

In such a case, it&#39;s either your motherboard or your Graphics card. When i had this problem i found it was my motherboard at an area near my processor. It wasn&#39;t getting the information through properly, it just kept failing.

By formatting and re-installing your OS, you&#39;re simply hiding the problem. The problem will jump back at you later on as you put more stuff on the OS. Basically the more information your motherboard has to pass through, the more likely it will be to fail. I would advice you to take it easy on your comp from here on in, until you figure out the hardware fault and replace the part. Make the computer do as few processes as possible (Don&#39;t put much in the taskbar).

Is it also a packaged computer? If it is, i wouldn&#39;t be surprised at the hardware failure. But you still have a guarantee on it don&#39;t you? Perhaps if the problem persists later on, try sending it back to the company with your problem and they shall try to fix it. If they keep sending it back and say there is nothing wrong with it (Like my company did), then try removing all PCI parts except the essential parts that are required to run the machine, and play games on it or something for a day or 2. If the problem dosn&#39;t appear again, put the PCI cards back in one by one, until it does re-appear. (Always leave the PC on at least 48hrs between each card.)

I still think it&#39;s the motherboard myself, but it&#39;s reasonable to say it could be anything.

hiroshi
Mon, 01-19-2004, 04:53 AM
I can&#39;t actually see where he&#39;s stated that it started happening after installing WMP9, but i can see you suggesting WMP9 as the problem and asking if the problems started after he installed it. Which he never answered.

The only time when you would get blue screens during software problems on XP would be Drivers. Even if you have programs conflicting with each other, if it isn&#39;t anything to do with the drivers, all that will happen is the programs will hang, and prompt you if you wish to close these non-responding programs, OR create a report to send off to Microsoft across the net and close the program for you.

However, i shall leave it as my opinion that it&#39;s hardware rather than software. I won&#39;t argue the case if you wish to defend the fact it&#39;s something to do with WMP again, because i shall leave it to common sense, and i don&#39;t wish to argue on anything. I just simply think it&#39;s a hardware fault.

Crimson_Behelit
Mon, 01-19-2004, 07:47 AM
Great, then it has boiled down to this... You think it&#39;s a hardware problem and I think it&#39;s a software problem. When Evil_Sasuke comes back and says, &quot;damn, doing a clean install of windows xp while avoiding WMP9 didn&#39;t fix the problem, even when I installed DIVX Player&#33;&quot; you will be a diagnostic genius who is obviously better then I am. But that hasn&#39;t happened yet. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif You seem to have a little TOO much faith in windows XP. In my experience with XP, I have found that a lot of problems are caused by updating things that don&#39;t need updating. Ever hear the term &quot;if it&#39;s not broke, don&#39;t fix it&quot;? Well that applies to XP too. I had a friend that had the exact same problem with divx files and it started after he updated WMP8 to WMP9. Sense you can&#39;t uninstall WMP9, his only option was to reinstall windows. His computer wasn&#39;t a laptop, but it had a hardware configuration that was similar to Evil_Sasuke&#39;s. That led me to believe that Evil_Sasuke made the same mistake as my friend. You will notice that when I told Evil_Sasuke about the problems with WMP9, he said &quot; Thanks for the info&quot; meaning what I said must have made sense. He must of realized that WMP9 might be causing the problem, otherwise he might have said something like &quot;hmm, that can&#39;t be the problem because I was having that same problem with WMP8&#33;&quot;. Blaming hardware for a problem should be a last resort unless it is obviously a hardware problem, and this is not a obvious hardware problem. Remember when he said &quot;It only happens when I play a divx file&quot;? Think simple dude.

hiroshi
Mon, 01-19-2004, 08:29 AM
*Not going to argue*
Meh. You made one very important point at least ^^
Who cares what we think right now, we will find out later on =P