PDA

View Full Version : BT extremly slow for everything

kage_kun
Wed, 01-14-2004, 09:51 AM
my downloading rates on the BT have been really slow lately. this started around late last year, but i didn't think much of it. so i was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem as i am by have extremly slow connection. the fastest i will get now is like 7k/sec if i'm lucky and it won't even keep a constant speed. any help would be appreciated.

Legendary Nin
Thu, 01-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Do you have a firewall? If so,try opening up the ports b/t uses.Or it could just be a tracker with very few seeds.

Vagabond
Thu, 01-15-2004, 10:14 AM
How fast is it supposed to go. The average speed for me is like 17k/sec.

hiroshi
Sat, 01-17-2004, 04:52 AM
Perhaps many of the people downloading are at that percentage. In which case, the amount of sources you can download from is greatly reduced and dependant on the seeders rather than the downloaders themselves.

At the beginning, your download runs off the original seeders AND the people downloading. As you download more and more, the people who are downloading run out of information that your client dosn't already have. As this happens, the amount of sources you can download from decreases, until you've caught up with everyone else.

Due to the small number of seeders in comparison to downloaders, it's quite possible to end up stuck at the same point as everyone else. Because so many people are depending off those small seeders at that point, it means the transfer rate is going to greatly decrease, because those few seeders are getting like a hundred of so people downloading off them or whatever, thus less bandwidth to dedicate to you.

That's why you always get messages about keeping your finished download window open. Because if you close it, you stop sharing it because the tracker no longer sees your IP Address. Everyone seems to ignore the message and simply clear their completed downloads. frigging... basts. You would have more seeders if ppl would simply leave the finished file alone. >_O

Madox
Sat, 01-17-2004, 11:39 AM
I have been having the same problem today, i usually get around 30 k/s, but now it peak at 11k/s. I checked my ports and all the usuall and still no such luck. Now my d/l is stuck at 80% http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/mad.gif

Xollence
Wed, 01-21-2004, 02:37 AM
Do you mean for Gotwoot torrents or bt in general? I've been getting no less than 100kbs for most of the anime files. Are you using a wireless router?

hiroshi
Wed, 01-21-2004, 07:30 AM
That's because there is only 10 people to 100. That's basically the bandwidth of those 10 people divided by 100. So it would be like this:

Bandwidth of 10 people = B

B / 100 = Your download rate.

You're getting 1 tenth of the total bandwidth available to download. It's no surprise you're going to be downloading so slow with so few seeders and yet so many leechers.

jasmullin
Wed, 01-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Same for me. I used to get speeds from 40 to 80 kps one most files, but starting a few weeks ago (about the time the new offical torrent came out) only small files (200 or less) we'll get any more the 10kps. Right nowI"m trying to get Love Hina ogm torrent. The site says there at least 10 seeders and more the 100 leechers but I'm stuck at less then 5kps

I have tryed many clients (Offical, Expermeantal, Shadow, Torrent storm ect) but none seem to do anything.

It seems to me that a lot of people have been having tha same problem right. Some places say that the offical torrent doesn't work perfectly or something, but I'v one pick up bits and peices about it. Does anyone know what it happening?

Pebble
Fri, 01-23-2004, 06:19 AM
I'm using a router (not wireless), and I haven't really seen any difference before and after opening the specified ports.

I recently tried to use the new Shadow BT client, but perhaps because of default configuration (which I don't understand well), it happened to download less than the original client (something around 1-5k with a 512k DSL connection).

Now I'm using the classic BT client again, however my download rate has always been varying between 1k and 60k, while my upload rate is almost always at 15k http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/tongue.gif
So just be patient and let the little client do its job, you'll only enjoy the movie more http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif

When it's finished, I usually have downloaded as much as I've uploaded. That's how it should be for everyone, I think. ^^

Oh, and I don't find GotWoot trackers slower than others, though there were some servers down recently.

sarf
Fri, 01-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Please remember to limit your upload speed to leave about 1k (or 10%, whichever is higher) for low-level TCP/IP ACKs (... basically, each packet that your computer gets has to be acknowledged - if it isn't, it will be presumed lost, thus reducing your download speed).

If you do not leave "room" in your upload speed for this, you will have poor download speeds, since BitTorrent automatically uses your upload speed as well as your download speed (unlike other protocols).

Sarf
---
Sin that pays its way can travel freely, and without a passport; whereas virtue, if a pauper, is stopped at all frontiers.

joker-kun
Tue, 02-03-2004, 12:47 PM
It really does depend on the anime, if its an anime with alotta clients then it should go fast, if its still going slow then somethings wrong, also try using theshadow bt client (go to animesuki homepage).

Krbadass
Wed, 02-04-2004, 02:50 AM
And answered... BT is slow for everyone.