PDA

View Full Version : Similarities

Raven
Sat, 01-03-2004, 10:19 AM
This has probably brought up 1000000000000 times before but I can't remember, so I'll do it again....

Before I ever heard of Naruto I was a big Love Hina fan, and I was pretty familiar with all the characters including Shinobu-chan.

Then I started watching Naruto, and what the hell! There's a character called Hinata that looks exactly like Shinobu in every way, she's extremely shy like Shinobu, she has the same voice-actor, and the name 'Hinata' is the same name as the lodge that Shinobu lived in, the 'Hinata Inn'.

This has GOT to be intentional. Anyone else noticed this?

Like I said, it's probably been brought up before, if so I apologise.

joker-kun
Sat, 01-03-2004, 11:52 AM
I havent watched Love Hina, but i noticed in Wolfs Rain on SOME scenes the flower maiden looks very much like Hinata, butfor your point it does sound intentional

Darkflare
Sun, 01-04-2004, 11:04 AM
they might have named then hinata because of their personality. just look up the word hinata and i got

[hinata] (n) sunny place/in the sun/(P)

sunny...hmm

Poiple Weezard
Sun, 01-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Except for the fact that Hinata isn't a very sunny person in Naruto. She's a bit gloomy. And in Love Hina, her name isn't Hinata, the name of the place is Hinata Inn. Her name is Shinobu.

Darkflare
Mon, 01-05-2004, 06:11 AM
hinata is not gloomy, and you know what i meant. hinata inn is supposed to be pwnage hot springs and stuff. you get the drift. and dont you say you dont because i know you want to.

Poiple Weezard
Mon, 01-05-2004, 07:05 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Darkflare &#064; Jan 5 2004, 05:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> hinata is not gloomy, and you know what i meant. hinata inn is supposed to be pwnage hot springs and stuff. you get the drift. and dont you say you dont because i know you want to. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
Sorry to take this argument to a &quot;Is Not&#33;&quot; &quot;Is Too&#33;&quot; state, but Hinata is definetly gloomy. She is continually depressed. That doesn&#39;t mean that she doesn&#39;t want things to go well for herself and her friends, she&#39;s just not outwardly positive most of the time.

If her name does mean sunny, I think its meant more ironic than representative.

Kn1ves
Mon, 01-05-2004, 08:18 AM
LOVE HINA IS THE BEST&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*takes deep breathe* WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*faints*

Raven
Mon, 01-05-2004, 01:08 PM
Yeah but all I&#39;m saying is, I think it&#39;s too big to be a co-incidence, it would have to be intentional, right?

Poiple Weezard
Mon, 01-05-2004, 01:19 PM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CmDr_RavEn @ Jan 5 2004, 12:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Yeah but all I&#39;m saying is, I think it&#39;s too big to be a co-incidence, it would have to be intentional, right? </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
Not necessarily. What were the production and animation groups for each of the anime, and for the manga? What was the timing? Was Love Hina already put into anime format by the time the Naruto manga started? How common of a name is Hinata?

Chances are that its a coincidence. They don&#39;t look that similar considering they&#39;re both just animation.

Theories can be fun. Sorry to go against your theory.

hiroshi
Tue, 01-06-2004, 02:10 AM
My Theory:

There was once an anime with a character who had the name Hinata. Her personality was extremely shy, and yet strong inside. This idea was very popular amongst many artists and the general public, as it was viewed as cute and brought up many strong points about a persons character. Such as, do not judge a book by it&#39;s cover and the such.

This resulted in many recreations of that character. Nobody really wanted to change the look because it was cute and nobody could come up with a cuter look which fitted that personality so perfectly. Nobody wanted to change her personality, because it fitted the look so well and it was so popular amongst the Japanese General Public. Nobody wanted to change the name, because if you&#39;re going to use a character from other animes (with permission), you must keep the name the same or you will be editing the production, which is illegal unless the author allows it. But the author is afraid that editing the characters name, would destroy the spirit and origin of the character. Thus on legal issues, to keep the person the same, with the same personality, they are not allowed to change the name.

Even if the Author decided it was ok, it&#39;s best not to change it when everyone is so familiar with the character. Also, on an additional note, Japan is in the far east, and isn&#39;t it the place of the rising sun? (The sun rises and looks so beautiful when it does too), thus both representations of the name, in itself represents the people of Japan. &quot;Sunny Place/In the Sun&quot; both represent Japan very well due to the fact that Japan is mostly in the sun a lot of the time, and is a very sunny place.

This concept is very ironic amongst artists. Because the character that represents the Country, is very shy and yet so strong on the inside. The character is also very kind, supportive, but not very confident in themselves and rely on others to support her. Japan reflects this very well. It&#39;s kind of like a statement. Japan may seem small, and it may be isolated, but it is a strong country inside. The people are kind, and will support their allies with honour. They may also be stating something about the confidence of the people living in the country, or of the country as a whole. As to what that last one is, i&#39;m not specifically sure.

The character, the name, and the look. Are all part of a bigger idea. A representation of Japan, the people, as well as being popular at the same time =P

Poiple Weezard
Tue, 01-06-2004, 06:04 AM
Its a wonderful theory, and it looks like you put a lot of work into it, but have you actually watched Love Hina? We are not talking about two characters with the name Hinata. There is only one, and she came second. Love Hina has a place named Hinata Inn, where the anime takes place, and the character in question with this discussion, Shinobu, is only one out of 8 or 9 main characters there, so there is not an unusually strong relationship between the character and the place in that anime.

Death BOO Z
Tue, 01-06-2004, 06:20 AM
oh, if we&#39;re going into the similrites, why couldn&#39;t you bring something stronger into the equasion?
like the fact all hermon (lots of girl and one guy) have a Shibou-like girl in them?
or how all the old guys are perverts? why all wolfish guys are Kiba (fang)? why all the girls have a large chest in shonen...

if anything, it&#39;s just japneeze anime fandmuntals (god, i need to learn to spell, i meant basics, anyway), just like in amrican high school comedies the vice prinicpal is always black...

BTW: could one of the mod&#39;s edit the post that&#39;s enlarging the page?

hiroshi
Tue, 01-06-2004, 06:24 AM
I didn&#39;t put any thought into it at all XP
Yeah i&#39;ve got the series but i totally forgot. Because i&#39;m baka like that, i often stupid little things like that confused =/

But my theory about the representation of Japan still works. Hinata in is the &quot;Sunny Place&quot; meaning and Hinata Inn could be &quot;In the Sun&quot; meaning. Perhaps the first part of the theory dosn&#39;t work anymore, but it dosn&#39;t change the theory about the representation of Japan with Hinata the character from Naruto being shy and everything.

As for Hinata Inn, well in a way that part still kind of works too. It&#39;s isolated from the rest of the village, it isn&#39;t side by side another building for instance. It&#39;s pretty damn strong, as it lasts all that damaged caused. I guess shyness is an emotion, but then again it&#39;s also something a person does when they don&#39;t want to be seen, and i guess Hinata&#39;s positioning dosn&#39;t make it the best place to be seen does it? o_O;

Anyway, the theory on the representation of Japan is still strong, even if the first part totally failed =P

hiddenpookie
Tue, 01-06-2004, 12:19 PM
my theory: who cares?

Kn1ves
Wed, 01-07-2004, 01:00 PM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hiddenpookie @ Jan 6 2004, 09:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> my theory: who cares? </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
I concur

the 1st theory was too long to read

NarutoOtaku
Wed, 01-07-2004, 01:19 PM
First of all, every kind of anime is connected somehow. Not in plot-wise, i mean.

For example, I am sure that everyone of you has at least heard the name Sakura more than once in an anime or two. There is also the title &quot;Honky Tonk&quot; that was shown in Cowboy Bebop. GetBackers had it for a small restaurant just called Honky Tonk.

So, you should know by now that they will use names more than once in any kind of anime.