PDA

View Full Version : Burning to DVDs

hahman14
Sun, 12-28-2003, 05:51 AM
i was wondering if some1 could help me find a program to help me burn some of my naruto eps. some r in .rmvb and some r in . avi . any help would b appreciated

hiroshi
Sun, 12-28-2003, 08:41 AM
hehe.. you know. I had exactly the same problem as you once. I had a decent program, but everytime i put a few episodes on, the entire DVD would be totally taken up. Then i found the best software for getting those episodes on a DVD. Wanna know what it was? WindowsXP =P

Before you start burning though, you may want to take these things in mind:
1) Is the player or DVD-ROM that the DVD will be played on, compatible with your DVD type of Burn.
2) What type of Format should you do on that DVD before you burn anything on?

A DVD is similair to a harddrive, in that it has to be formatted before it can be written to, if it is the first time it's ever been written to.

(Your OS Installation automatically does this in the background, so don't tell me you don't format first ¬_¬ )

To fit the maximum amount of information on as possible, it's best if you are able to format your DVD to a DVD+ type (If your DVD Burner can burn that type). Find out what your friend or whoever you're giving these to (if not keeping them yourself), will be using to view the information on the DVD. Then find out what type of DVD that particular player/ROM is compatible with Here ('http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Compatibility.asp?mid=0&sid=2&aid=59'). Then once you know what it's compatible with, format the DVD accordingly. I use InstantWrite Format for this, you can probably find and download it using a P2P application. It would be in a package called: "Instant CD+DVD". But the default software you got with your drive will probably have some sort of formatting tool. Unfortunately i cannot give you the specifications as to your type of format required, as it's in my instantwrite format help file, thus i shall give a brief outlay:

CD-R: UDF 1.51
CD-RW: UDF 1.51
CD-MRW: UDF 1.51
DVD-R: UDF 2.01
DVD-RW: UDF 2.01
DVD+R: UDF 2.01
DVD+RW: UDF 3.01
DVD-RAM: UDF 1.02

Then simply go to your DVD Drive in windows, open your Blank Media just like you would a CD in Windows to explore it, then select the files you want burned and drag them into the DVD Window. Windows will automatically start burning away as soon as you've let go of the files.

However, Windows does not buffer the information during this process, so i wouldn't advice doing anything. So far i've had 100% success in all my burns, but i don't want to take the chance by making my computer churn away whilst it's burning. Besides, the less you do, the quicker it burns.

hahman14
Sun, 12-28-2003, 09:18 AM
thanx i think i got it, ill actually b getting the dvd burner soon but ive been reading and hearing that u need certain software and certain formats so i was a bit confused. if it all works out ill at least let u know

hahman14
Mon, 12-29-2003, 03:47 AM
oh alright thanx for that, now i have a new ques. ive noticed that the .avi version run a lot slower than the .rmvb when played on the computer. will this be fixed when the episodes r burned?

hiroshi
Mon, 12-29-2003, 01:53 PM
Well, if you want to make flashy DVD Menu systems, then yeah you will need software. But the software will probably come with the DVD Burner anyway, and if it dosn't you could try out the program i use.

But the software i use dosn't seem to like burning normal files on like that. That's why i prefer to use the default windows system. So you don't really need software as such, but it's up to you.

As for the formats, well i've explained it a little, and i've even supplied a link to a website which should explain the difference between the formats to you. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/happy.gif

Yeah, tell me how it goes. I would appreciate that, thanks http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/happy.gif

hahman14
Tue, 12-30-2003, 06:33 AM
we bought the burner but the thing where u said about using the burning program that came with the xp doesnt work. i drag the movie onto the drive and nothing happens how do i do this!!!

hiroshi
Wed, 12-31-2003, 12:29 PM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>oh alright thanx for that, now i have a new ques. ive noticed that the .avi version run a lot slower than the .rmvb when played on the computer. will this be fixed when the episodes r burned? </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

No, in fact the difference may even be a lot more noticable (sp?) once you&#39;ve burned it. Because the access speed to your Harddrive is a lot faster than to your DVDs.

Sorry, i&#39;ve been away for 2 days. With it coming to the new year and everything. Anyway...

It should burn automatically as long as you&#39;ve formatted the DVD before hand. What UDF Format did you use before you dragged things in? Also, should it still not do anything even if you&#39;ve formatted and dragged everything in. Try either:

1) Right clicking your DVD Burner and click on a new option &quot;Burn Media to DVD&quot;.

or if that option hasn&#39;t appeared, go back into the DVD and click on one of the menu&#39;s at the top. Can&#39;t remember which one it is, but it may have &quot;Burn&quot; there somewhere. Or on the left hand side where all the detailed information is displayed, depending on your folder view type.

If you still can&#39;t burn anything, then try downloading the Instant CD+DVD software and try the process again. Perhaps it&#39;s due to the burning software, although i think it&#39;s unlikely.

Tell me if this solved your prob, sorry it took so long to get back to you =/

hahman14
Thu, 01-01-2004, 10:25 AM
actually nevermind I got everything down perfectly thanx for ur help. YAY I got Naruto on DVD