PDA

View Full Version : HTML System

hiroshi
Wed, 12-24-2003, 04:08 AM
I am making a request for the ability to use HTML in posts. The current system has serious flexibility issues in the kind of things you could do regarding your font, colour, and style.

For instance, i like fading colours from one to the other, by using the hexadecimal rule of the html colour code system. With the current system you can only use words, and are limited to only a few. The same with fonts, you can specify any font you could possibly want as long as the user reading has that specific font, whilst with the current system it is limited to very few font faces.

Could we put it on a trial basis? Say if the html system is abused, you can stop the system from then onwards. But see how ppl use the system in the meantime? I for one, wouldn't abuse it. I love the flexibility it offers, and hate being restricted =_+;

Xollence
Thu, 12-25-2003, 02:25 AM
I don't know many forums that allow html. There must be a really good reason for it. Besides, having colors is annoying. Who wants to read words in red/yellow/green.

SirCharlesIII
Thu, 12-25-2003, 02:49 AM
yeah but with limited options bring more stability...imagine if you decided to be cool and use an unusual font, but the others didnt have it...i dont want a whole lot of posts consisting of: a?0§)?V+¼í£S$¥¼±¦¶?6â?-6???BcX7M,??+\£?£¦??558? or just a row of those damn boxes

edit: if you dont get many responses, try posting this in the suggestion forum

Assassin
Thu, 12-25-2003, 03:13 AM
ya, i also dont believe its even possible.....but if it is, i'd wouldn't mind giving it a try. assuming it wouldn't be too much work to add/change things

hiroshi
Thu, 12-25-2003, 05:07 AM
¬_¬;

It must be possible, because just about every other board hosting system supports the use of HTML if it is enabled in the boards configuration. There should be a webpage for the main admin (Creator of this board) to access and change options regarding the board. In these options they should have the ability to support HTML if they wished.

The reason it's disabled in a lot of boards, is because a lot of ppl who host boards don't pay for the account. The people who create the board systems (The company) normally only allow you to use HTML if you are a paying customer, as they consider it a premium type of option due to the flexibility it offers.

There are however some who pay, but still don't offer it as an option. Because if you're a very very advanced user in Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) coding, then you could use it to your advantage to attack peoples computers. This rarely ever happens though, due to the securities the company places on the kind of coding you can use in your HTML (EG: Certain HTML codes won't be allowed or converted, such as the refresh command, etc.).

As someone who use to host a board myself, i'm pretty sure the option is there. But i think only the creator of the board can turn it on or off, seeing as it's probably located in the admin configuration page.

So who created the board anyway? o_O

oh and btw... Red, Yellow or green is just your limited amount of colours which you can currently choose from. If you had HTML enabled, you could make any colour you wanted possible. Gold, Silver, Magenta, Baby Blue. Even have glow effects around your lettering using various filters. By using this method, you can also fade from one colour to another really easily, making it look quite stylish and effective.

hiroshi
Thu, 12-25-2003, 09:09 AM
Well it wasn't a suggestion as more of a request o_o;

Yeah, fair enough. But the limitation in colour is really annoying... And if you put a font that a person dosn't have, it normally gets translated straight off as the default HTML font. (Arial). It only screws up in programs when a person dosn't have the font, because they don't have a default font in the language it was programmed in.

Besides, i said you should put it as a trial based thing. See how it works out. Give it a chance o_o;
If it dosn't work, then just put it back again.

JessiA
Thu, 12-25-2003, 10:24 AM
I'm pretty sure the forum coding itself doesn't support HTML. I'm not sure, this is something littlecooldude might know about.

Legendary Nin
Fri, 12-26-2003, 03:47 AM
It'sbetter with the html off.I've seen plenty of vb boards get hacked with it on,and I bet someone would try and hack this site.There is always that crazy anime hacker lurking in every anime board,seriously.

migawari
Mon, 12-29-2003, 01:25 PM
Invision Power Board has an option to turn on html known as the "doHTML" tag.

HTML is annoying in forums, but to turn it on an admin must first edit the "user groups" and enable "can use dohtml" and than also enbale the use of the dohtml tag for the forums.

Here is an explaination: http://www.invisionpower.com/documentation...oc_page128.html ('http://www.invisionpower.com/documentation/ipb/doc_page128.html')