PDA

View Full Version : Dosu and Kishimoto's poor decision?

SDShamshel
Mon, 12-22-2003, 02:03 AM
Now, I love Naruto and all, and I think Kishimoto is great with his characterizations and sheer lack of filler for a manga that's still running, but I always felt that Kishimoto made a serious mistake when he had Dosu killed off.

Dosu, if you recall, was basically the leader of the Sound gennin who participated in the Chuunin exams. His ability was that he could transmit sonic waves through the devices in his arms and do things like mess with a person's equilibrium and cause internal bleeding and such. He attacked the ears, more or less.

He was also VERY capable, and clearly a step above his teammates. He was smart, rational, knew his own powers very well, and knew when to run away. Actually, now that I think about it, had he still lived, he would have had the potential to become a Chuunin.

After the Forest of Death, Dosu wanted to prove to Orochimaru that he couldn't be taken lightly, and that was his goal. Dosu wanted to show Orochimaru that he wasn't just cannon fodder for Orochimaru's purposes. He fought and won his preliminary match against Chouji.

...then he was killed by Gaara for the sake of showing off Gaara's demon.

I feel that they should have used someone else for this, or at least have Dosu severely crippled so he could come back in some form, but for him to have died, I feel it is a character that has been wasted.

Insomniac
Mon, 12-22-2003, 02:47 AM
yeah i felt the same way, Dosu was obviously one of the smartest genins and was capable of making it far.
The ease of how Gaara beat him was simply just to show off his demon put simply, there wasnt even a fight whereas even Sasuke put up a fight.

Insomniac
Mon, 12-22-2003, 03:07 AM
even though he might not have been stronger then Lee or Neji he could have defeated them easily because his version of taijutsu basically means you cant get into hand to hand with him at all or risk a one hit KO.
You cant say that he wasnt strong compared to the others, he was right up there and his intelligence was greater then basically all of them. he was like Shikamaru and Neji combined.

villin
Mon, 12-22-2003, 03:08 AM
Kishimoto needed a sacrifice for Gaara that wasn't going anywhere in the storyline and also someone strong enough to emphasize the of power that Gaara wields. Dosu was the only real choice available. As far as the storyline, Dosu had implied that he would oppose Orochimaru. This is just rediculous and totally unbelievable that a sound genin would be any sort of match for a legendary sennin like Orochimaru. Dosu also filled the 'worthy' sacrifice role in that he demonstrated on numerous occasions his intelligence and strength.

The only other character I can think of that could have been sacrificed is Lee. However, the Gaara/Lee match had already been done and I assume Lee has a significant role to play in the future of the storyline.

Can you imagine how many pissed off people there would be if Lee was sacrificed. http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/blink.gif

samsonlonghair
Mon, 12-22-2003, 04:06 AM
I think that Kishimoto's approach was great. Instead of taking the "Star Trek route" (ie: always killing of the nameless guy in the red shirt) Kishimoto built up a good character. If a character who doesn't matter dies, no one cares. The fact that anyone is unhappy with Dosu's death is proof that Kishimoto did the right thing.

DB_Hunter
Mon, 12-22-2003, 04:40 AM
It was going to be ridiculous that a genin was going to take on a legendary Senin.... but maybe he meant that after a few years he would take him on? BUt then he has no way of knowing if Orochimaru would have gotten stronger.

DB_Hunter
Mon, 12-22-2003, 05:08 AM
Well he didn't do anything smart that I saw.... all he did was think.... what the hell is going on.. I'm gonna find out.... I'll get you Oro.....

chiko^2
Mon, 12-22-2003, 07:55 AM
there isn't much that i can say. dosu was - and still is - my favourite naruto character, so needless to say i (probably more than anyone else) feel his character was wasted, and had he lived he would've made it far. i honestly wanted to see what he was up to. like many people have said, he was obviously very smart and thus knew he couldn't take a sannin on. this leads me to believe he probably had some other plans of proving to orochimaru he wasn't just a pawn. my guess is he planned on kicking sasuke's behind, thus showing orochi that he already had men more powerful than his precious uchiha on his disposal.

also, i really wanted to see what he had in plans for shino. remember, he commented after the zaku vs shino fight that he was going to revenge zaku's loss of arms.

i'm glad to see i wasn't the only one saddened by his death.

AznPerson
Mon, 12-22-2003, 09:48 AM
i think he had too many ppl fighting in the tornement and he needed to kill 1 off lol

Nine Tailed Demon
Mon, 12-22-2003, 10:12 AM
I agree with villin...

spectre270
Mon, 12-22-2003, 01:54 PM
<span style='color:blue'>Dosu was a good fighter but compared to the others in the tournament hewasn&#39;t that strong even though he was strong he loss quickly and died. I don&#39;t think the way that he was killed was wrong I just think that the fight should have been longer.</span> http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/mf_plasmawhore.gif

Assertn
Tue, 12-23-2003, 12:58 PM
well there isnt much he could contribute towards the tournament anymore, and frankly, i felt that he had used up his purpose for a while now. I got bored of his speaker attack thing pretty quickly. Besides, i think that gaara vs dosu match was a nice unexpected twist for viewers. Gotta have those once in a while