PDA

View Full Version : Broadband or 56K?

hiroshi
Sun, 12-14-2003, 09:23 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>some people CANNOT get higher then dail up because of where they live there for &quot;getting a job&quot; wouldn&#39;t really help them any would it? thats being a bit ignorant.</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>

Ok. this was made in the Sig rules2 thread. I would like to point out, that if you have access to a telephone line. You can get broadband. DSL and ADSL supplies this ability as i&#39;m sure you know. DSL and ADSL are considered a form of broadband. If you mean that they wouldn&#39;t be able to earn enough for broadband (and if so i&#39;m being very ignorant for which i apologise for), then i can only wonder as to why they are surfing at all? For it is in fact more expensive to support dialup, than DSL or ADSL in todays standards.

(EG: In the UK. A 56k account per month is about £10 per month. Or for Pay as you go, it&#39;s something ridiculous like 10p per minute. whilst a a 60k [or around?] is also just £10 per month on DSL, and pay as go is not an option. But then, if they were using pay as you go and had to spend less than £10, i doubt severly, that they would be at this website, seeing as this website is mostly associated with downloading anime/manga one way or another. Even if they did happen on this site, they wouldn&#39;t bother signing the forum with a limit of cost like that, because they wouldn&#39;t have time to mess around with that sort of stuff.)

Also, i would like to point out that in actual fact, the majority of people are on broadband. It&#39;s now a statistical fact. Ever since the release of the first P2P application (Wasn&#39;t that Napster? I don&#39;t really know but as far as i know?), there has been an increased demand for faster internet capabilities. With this demand came faster services, which resulted in the slower services, becoming slightly cheaper with each new release of broadband technology. Seeing as DSL and ADSL now cost practically the same as Dialup, the majority of people who can&#39;t afford broadband like Cable connections, etc. Pay for broadband such as DSL or ADSL, which for the same cost as a 56k is 10kbits faster in speed. Even for the poorest of countries, if they can afford 56k, then the majority of those that can afford a 56k at all go for DSL/ADSL because it&#39;s the most economical thing to do with cost and access. It&#39;s now the Minority of the worlds population that uses a 56k, and that&#39;s only because they don&#39;t realise they could get better service for the same cost.

just to prove my point here. I would like everyone to state if they have Broadband (DSL, ADSL, Cable, T-Connection, Satellite, etc), or if they still use a dialup modem of some sort (excluding DSL/ADSL, because the modem digitises the information before it is sent out, it therefore counts as broadband.).

I bet the majority of ppl here use broadband. I&#39;m confident on this matter, and if i&#39;m wrong, then i&#39;m a very very stupid, ignorant, and overly confident.

[Prays to god he isn&#39;t wrong now, and sweats it out a little.]

(Please don&#39;t take any of this personally btw. I just feel like there is misinformation roaming around. If i am incorrect, please feel free to flame me and make a total idiot of me. Mocking is also allowed, but only if i&#39;m wrong =P )

[edit: Removed HTML Tags, as they didn&#39;t seem to work]

DB_Hunter
Sun, 12-14-2003, 09:28 AM
Whats the cheapest broadband in the UK (I mean atleast 500 down)?

hiroshi
Sun, 12-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Perhaps BulldogDSL or something like that... i can&#39;t remember the exact name or the website. But i remember they were by far the cheapest DSL company around. They even offered 2MB, 4MB and a 6MB connection if you lived near London (or a London Exchange).

I shall check it out for you though if you want. See if i can locate the website.

Krbadass
Sun, 12-14-2003, 09:32 AM
I use comcast cable.

hiroshi
Sun, 12-14-2003, 10:15 AM
Oh yeah, i forgot O_o;;

I have a 1mb cable connection.

Darkflare
Sun, 12-14-2003, 10:51 AM
problem is you cant always get dsl. such as me, they said there was something installed on our phone lines that would disrupt the dsl, therefore we got cable. but, a factor in dsl is also distance from the CO. if you are too far, you cant get dsl. if you live in a place where there is no cable tv, you cant get cable. satellite is fast but it pings horribly.

hiroshi
Mon, 12-15-2003, 07:43 AM
&gt;_O;

I had wirtten a load of info, but i lost it all when i pressed the backspace twice and found my Internet History pop back two pages. (sigh)

[cut short]
So far the majority here have stated that they use broadband, so at least that hasn&#39;t been disproven. I read in an article some statistics on the people who have access to the internet, if they used broadband or dialup. This was done using various websites, voting methods, email, and other various different methods.

I am perplexed by your DSL/ADSL problems, and it&#39;s a new learning experience for me in that area. I had never heard of such problems before.

(This was a lot longer, a lot more informative, and a lot more sucking up to you people than it is now. But what they hey, i lost it all and i&#39;m lazy.)

meh.... http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/huh.gif

KDM
Mon, 12-15-2003, 07:53 AM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Darkflare &#064; Dec 14 2003, 09:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>-snip-
satellite is fast but it pings horribly.</td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
*imagines the latency*
http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/blink.gif http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/blink.gif

I have cable. Optimun Online.

Power PMV
Mon, 12-15-2003, 08:34 AM
I live in dorms in UC Berkeley, so I think that is T3. I&#39;m not totally sure, though.

hiroshi
Mon, 12-15-2003, 08:44 AM
That&#39;s weird. I mean, there are lines now which implement DSL and Voice in one go, and they don&#39;t need to change any of the lines or anything.

I guess EMI is a factor, but i wouldn&#39;t think there would be a strong enough EMI to stop you from having an ADSL or DSL line. Do you live right next to a powerstation or something? If there is a strong enough EMI, then even your voice calls would be affected anyway. You would have a dodgy and crackling line all the time, and mobile phones would be pretty near useless in your area. There aren&#39;t many places that can&#39;t use DSL or ADSL as to my knowledge o_O

Sorry if i&#39;m mistaken http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Satellite does ping as hell, but you can get amplifiers to overcome that easily. It&#39;s very much like using a digital TV. My Grandad has amplifiers all over his house for superstrong signals. They can do the same for Data.

Xollence
Mon, 12-15-2003, 08:50 AM
I pay 40 dollars a month for cable, dial up here is only 10-20.

Serpico
Mon, 12-15-2003, 08:55 AM
You can only get DSL if your are within about 5 miles or the ISP or one of there installed boosters. Also the farther you are from that the slower it will be. If you live in a remote and low populated area odds of having DSL avail is fairly slim.

LordSteelFist
Mon, 12-15-2003, 08:55 AM
I use adsl, u cant get cable where i live http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/mad.gif

Darkflare
Mon, 12-15-2003, 09:40 AM
if they dont see an area as profitable they wont carry dsl there too

KakashiSensei
Mon, 12-15-2003, 09:47 AM
I have a ADSL 3Mbit Line...It flies on Upload and download. I love broadband

XwingRob
Mon, 12-15-2003, 11:45 AM
I got broadband cable.

Elite Hentai
Mon, 12-15-2003, 12:10 PM
I have cable 1,5 Mbit down (just) 128 Kbit up. Still no complaining from provider after I dld and uld many GBs http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/laugh.gif.

Evangelion01
Mon, 12-15-2003, 12:13 PM
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hiroshi @ Dec 14 2003, 08:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Ok. this was made in the Sig rules2 thread. I would like to point out, that if you have access to a telephone line. You can get broadband. DSL and ADSL supplies this ability as i&#39;m sure you know. DSL and ADSL are considered a form of broadband. If you mean that they wouldn&#39;t be able to earn enough for broadband (and if so i&#39;m being very ignorant for which i apologise for), then i can only wonder as to why they are surfing at all? For it is in fact more expensive to support dialup, than DSL or ADSL in todays standards. </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'>
acuualy, having dialup doesnt mean u can get DSL&#33; i had 28.8k until this july due to old phone lines not being able to keep the signal strength. Which is why i couldnt get 56k or DSL. as for affording it, cable is &#036;40 a month, without TV. so price is a factor, dialup cost us &#036;24 per YEAR, not month (so it was &#036;2 a month). Now that im at college i have OC3, and cable at home.

Just wanted to make sure that having dialup DOES NOT mean u can get DSL, even if u can pay for it. (years waiting for us to be able to get it got annoying). And i live almost in Chicago, the suburb that boarders it. It&#39;s not like i dont live in the middle of nowhere.

Elite Hentai
Mon, 12-15-2003, 12:23 PM
OC3? I envy you.

SirCharlesIII
Tue, 12-16-2003, 06:41 AM
i basicly dont have it cause my mom doesnt want to pay for it, its not an issue of location or price (we could afford it) but just...she doesnt need it...and man...its definitly HER house http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/smile.gif...

DB_Hunter
Wed, 12-17-2003, 12:31 PM
I have ADSL, got it originally as an agreement with my two older brothers that I will pay some costs and they will pay the rest.... though that was last year now one of my brothers is paying for it all.... he didn&#39;t used to think we need broadband and used to curse me for tying up the telephone line with 56k dialup to do downloads.. now he sees things my way, even though it may not be from the download angle http://www.gotwoot.net/forum/html/emoticons/mf_gap.gif

DDBen
Wed, 12-17-2003, 12:51 PM
I&#39;m going to close this topic for a couple reasons.

The first is there is no pole and this question basically couldn&#39;t be answered without one.

Second even if this was answered it wouldn&#39;t matter because the rule is there not only for people with dial up but for bandwidth concern. Bigger means that by default we use more bandwidth. Thats atleast the reason for the KB limit.

The size limit is a annoyance factor I don&#39;t care to scroll past 2 page long sigs there not that interesting no matter how nice you make them the 60th time I scroll past them.

Also some people either can&#39;t afford or can&#39;t get broadband. DSL only works for a certain distance from the transmitter and cable requires fiberoptics to be installed so that means 56k modems are required in some area&#39;s.