PDA

View Full Version : Dosanko Gal wa Namara Menkoi

neflight86
Tue, 01-09-2024, 02:13 PM

"* Based on a romantic comedy manga by Ikada Kai.

High school boy Tsubasa moves to Kitami City up in Hokkaido, where he meets a "gal" at a bus stop. The sight of her standing alone against the white snowscape, bare-legged despite the freezing cold, captures his heart.

Source: Manga Plus"

Genre(s): Romantic Comedy

Research (https://subsplease.org/shows/dosanko-gal-wa-namara-menkoi/)

Adaptation of a pretty wholesome romance manga with the lewd dialed up a bit. I think the manga started this way, but the fanservice (outside of Fuyuki's general character design) drops of pretty quick. Don't imagine I'll watch much as the story isn't very dramatic and I've already read it (love me some gals), but it is a good, naturalistic romance story for those who haven't.

Ryllharu
Wed, 01-10-2024, 04:21 AM
Now, I don't think this is a particularly good series. It is deeply bland in my opinion.

That said, the subs are trash and a perfect example of the recent localizer controversy across anime subs.
Bottom left is the official mangaplus translation, and the bottom right is a not-great fan scanlation.

KrayZ33
Wed, 01-10-2024, 06:23 AM
oh god....

oh my god... As if the "FIRST NAME BASIS, OH MY GOD" isn't already annoying enough for us "westerners".
Now they even put emphasis on it to make it look even more alien?

Yeah, and they wonder why people scream how they would prefer AI translations over this.
I'm not an expert when it comes to slang, but isn't "whack" = "lame" or something to that extend?
Does it even fit??? Because that's certainly how rappers used it back when I was listening to that music.
Or did it go a 180° and that's now "super hip, and cool"

neflight86
Wed, 01-10-2024, 09:59 AM
Bottom left is the official mangaplus translation, and the bottom right is a not-great fan scanlation.

Eww. I didn't notice but should have the unnatural language and forced vernacular.

David75
Wed, 01-10-2024, 02:10 PM
As a long time listener, I get that many subtleties do not get translated well or at all.
That was the case for that scene. In the last 3 years it's been worse and worse.
In some anime you get a 10 second monologue subtitled with 2 or 3 short lines. The general idea is there, but you lose the nuances and tones.

Ryllharu
Wed, 01-10-2024, 03:36 PM
I'm not an expert when it comes to slang, but isn't "whack" = "lame" or something to that extend?
Does it even fit??? Because that's certainly how rappers used it back when I was listening to that music.
Or did it go a 180° and that's now "super hip, and cool"
It still very much means, "strange, in a crazy and negative unexpected manner. A response to something done with bad taste."

Yes, it doesn't fit at all. This is absurdly white people somehow managing to completely misuse African-American Vernacular English despite some of the vocabular used here to have been fully absorbed by American English in the 1990s to force a (bad) pun in there that doesn't exist in the original.