PDA

View Full Version : Sasaki to Pii-chan

MFauli
Fri, 01-05-2024, 04:59 PM
Even though Sasaki's droll corporate life is constantly filled with work, it leaves him tired and unfulfilled at the end of every day. In search of some companionship to fill the emptiness in his life, he visits a pet shop on a whim, not realizing he's about to change his life forever. After settling on an adorable bird and bringing it home...his new roommate reveals that it's actually an incredible sage from another world who promptly bestows Sasaki with supernatural powers as well as the ability to cross between worlds. All Sasaki wants to do is use these newfound powers to live in peace and comfort, but there are more than a few colorful characters who might get in the way of that...

---------------------------------
---------------------------------

Episode 1:

That double-episode went by really quick. While it felt a bit rushed at times ("oh, here's my restaurant now"), this anime is very enjoyable so far. I love how ever character other than Sasaki appears to have some secret about him/her. The sudden Yandere-school girl cracked me up, LOL. Also, that we have both psychics AND magic users is very interesting. I always wanted something like that in a shounen-show like HXH or Naruto, different systems existing at the same time.

Dunno how this turns out, but with this very strong start, I had to make a thread.

PS: On the negative side, the English localization is really bad. So many changes in the translation, but the worst one is "Peeps". It's super irritating hearing "Pii-chan" while reading "Peeps". And why, even? "Pii-chan" should be perfectly fine for Western audiences, too.

neflight86
Mon, 01-08-2024, 10:51 PM
I was also pleasantly surprised by how much fun this was. Characters have some humor to them, but act more or less like adults. It begins with a 'start from zero isekai money making', then introduces a similar, but different 'magic' of our world (and the localized conflicts of that) at the exact same time (along with cute co-worker), and then the Yandere school girl at the end with none of them ever interacting yet; save it for later. With that much potential drama and intrigue stocked up, I can confidently get hyped for future developments. I just hope he didn't have to leave his regular job. This reminds me of a less autistic/more serious Isekai Ojisan.

MFauli
Fri, 01-12-2024, 02:40 PM
Episode 2:

Well, that was a fun episode again. Not much Pii-chan, though! While I realize this is more on the light hearted side, it's a bit dumb that those enemy psychics didn't kill anyone despite that being the expectation based of what Sasaki's colleagues were saying. Feels like a convenient way to justify having friendly talk with the enemy afterwards.

I really love the existence of different systems, though. Sasaki being a mage in a world of psychics is somehow really cool.

Oh, and making Hosizaki 16 years old must have been done to piss off the woke crowd, lol. There was no reason to not have her be a proper adult, but nah, let's make her an underage school girl. Lol.

neflight86
Fri, 01-12-2024, 03:52 PM
I like their dynamic, and look forward to wrestling with this evil psychics organization. It was unrealistic for the officers to all survive when bested that thoroughly, but it fits the tone of the show so far.

I thought we would be unpacking the Yandere before introducing magical girls. I feel like the author might have decided early on to mesh these elements together and focus on making the interactions that might naturally follow the meat of the series, which I'm down for.

On a side note, it does seem like he is no longer working at his old company, which is too bad, because they were the only ones who might have shared his love of cute animals.

MFauli
Fri, 01-12-2024, 05:46 PM
Was that a magical girl? Seemed to me like some alien/dimension traveller. But not sure.

neflight86
Sat, 01-13-2024, 12:08 PM
I was going by outfit alone.

MFauli
Fri, 01-19-2024, 04:47 PM
episode 3:

Another enjoyable, way too short episode. I LOVE how this anime does so many things, the only negative is that there's literally not enough time to touch upon each in every episode. This would be better in the form of like 4 movies 2hours each.

Anyway, got quite serious suddenly. And then the end. As the fantastic ending seems to tease, the princess will become Pii-chan's student. I assume he wants to enable the daughter of his dead friend to be able to defend their country in the future. If the ending is anything to go by, lots of fun to come. I wonder if she'll be allowed to go to our world.

Also, Pii-chan is such a birb <3

David75
Sat, 01-20-2024, 07:57 AM
That middle aged man is an illegal to bang teenager girl magnet...

neflight86
Sat, 01-20-2024, 11:42 AM
Based on the ed, the wand the daughter is holding looks like the one a magical girl would use.

Another great episode, though. The world(s) feel alive and distinct, and MC is just along for the ride.

MFauli
Sat, 01-20-2024, 12:51 PM
That middle aged man is an illegal to bang teenager girl magnet...

Let's not be like outrage-Twitter.

The princess in the end makes no advances at him. Judging by the great ending, she'll become a student of Pii-chan's,

MFauli
Fri, 01-26-2024, 08:25 PM
episode 4:

honestly, im happy that viscount was still alive. Good guy, good leader.

Pi-chan casually promising Sasaki to teach him the flying spell was nice :D And I liked how the viscount and prince were impressed at Sasaki's wealth of spells. Can't wait for the moment when Sasaki shows that off to the psychiscs :D

Speaking of which: This anime better get 100+ episodes or we won't get anywhere, lol.

MFauli
Fri, 02-02-2024, 06:26 PM
Episode 5:

Worlds colliding!

Hoshizaki being 16 still kinda makes everything more uncomfortable, lol. Not only her associating with Sasaki, but now tricking a slightly younger boy into a relationship just for her mission. Poor boy.

Not a fan of the "no killing" when killing is a thing otherwise in this world. And the magical girl is dumb if she kills ALL psychics just because some killed her family.

Edit: Also what happened to the plane? Did Sasaki just forget about it? :D

neflight86
Wed, 02-07-2024, 11:25 AM
Hoshizaki definitely has some judgement issues with her manipulative plans and how she charges head first into an opponent that easily beat her, twice.

I wonder if there is any relation between the Yandere and the magical girl? That there are seven and apparently known about in the psychic world is amusing to me in a "author-kun doesn't want to spend too much time introducing this" kind of way. I like the interplay here and they might as well add in mutants, demons, or something else; Why not?

The only thing that is really stretching the believability of the story is the pretext that these supernatural entities are being covered up when entire planes and craters happen on the reg.

Speaking of arial confrontations, surprising that we never hear or see the other magic user that fought Pii-chan above the battlefield in ep 4. Also, for some reason, I like the way this was handled better than in... Slime season 2 even though the scenarios were very similar. I don't feel like Sasaki's character was compromised even though he essentially drew the same conclusion that Rimuru did in slime isekai. Here, Pii did the deed and mentioned that there was no need for them (the soldiers in the army) to suffer even though they were all going to die. The same cavalier attitude towards death, but just that hint of remorsefulness and no thin rationalization kept me from turning on Sasaki as a genocidal maniac with a God Complex. Him gushing over his cute little bird also humanizes him.

Obviously vastly different shows, but the similarities I thought might be worth mentioning since I was bellyaching about that at the time.

Also, looks like the ED wasn't prophetic; no signs of teaching the little miss magic.

MFauli
Fri, 02-09-2024, 09:46 PM
I see woke people on social media shit on this show for "middle-aged man with young girls romance", yet here I am and I'm gonna be upset if there WON'T be some romance with one of the girls towards the end :P Y'all need to stop saying "kids", all girls so far are of legal age of consent, ignoring that they're drawings anyway.

The boss excusing his surveillance cameras was bs, though. First of all, gay or not, spying on people isn't ok. Secondly, being gay means your spying on men is problematic. And saying "ah, but it's ok because you're not my type" is TOTALLY not an excuse. Should have just been blunt and said "so what? safety measures are necessary", the end.

And I still don't get why Sasaki was in fincanial worries. What kept him from bringing some gold from the isekai and sell it in Japan? Easy money.

Also, looks like the ED wasn't prophetic; no signs of teaching the little miss magic.

Yeah, that's a bit of a bummer. Instead of a proper story getting going, we're still getting those disjuncted scenes of stuff happening out of the blue.

David75
Sat, 02-10-2024, 05:10 AM
I don't know rules for selling gold in Japan, here in France there is administrative stuff to make it legal and if you start selling too much, well it can be a problem if you're not a pro with even more stringent sets of rules.

Edit: and he probably wants to stay low with his new job and everything related to his isekaï life

neflight86
Tue, 02-13-2024, 05:49 PM
I agree that selling precious metals suddenly and openly could cause all sorts of problems, including the 'where did you get this?' kind. An intermediary is essential to Sasaki's wealth building. I'm more surprised that the new recruit had her own organization turn on her. What crime did she commit? Shouldn't they be more concerned with opposing the magical girls?

MFauli
Sun, 02-18-2024, 12:31 AM
Episode 7:

WELL, WELL, WELL! Look who´s suddenly selling gold, lol.

Fun episode, although Sasaki should be more careful in the presence of a prison guard, that guy might stab him with his sword before Sasaki can roll out any smart words.

The princess coming to the real world was a nice turn, especially since she's immediately meeting the psychic girl. Should be fun :D And damn, a young girl seeing our entertainment-riddled world, I doubt she'll want to go back :D

neflight86
Tue, 02-20-2024, 10:46 AM
Wonder if the bird has memory erasing magic?

Things are about to get messy, but if only Sasaki and Peeps can freely travel between worlds, this kind of ends here, does it not? Nice of the psychic to assume the existence of a 'fairy' world already, or was that part of their conversation last episode?

MFauli
Sun, 02-25-2024, 04:19 AM
Episode 8:

Really, I need to say that what other people criticize about this show, I absolutely celebrate. There's always so much going on and you never know what will happen next <3.

Honestly, I wish that Sasaki and Shizuka become a couple. She's hundreds of years old, right, so no complaints here :P Although Pi-chan's curse seems a little too much. Come on, just make it a curse that prevents her from acting maliciously, no need for the "turning her into a lump of flesh", omg.

The princess was a bit too easily satisified imo, a girl from her world would be much more interested in our world, but I guess pacing demanded it to be a shortened affair, not too much complaining from my side.

Thinking about it, I have no idea how this anime will reach a satisfying end in its last 4 episodes, though. Hope it won't be too open, but there's no real goal for Sasaki atm.

neflight86
Tue, 02-27-2024, 12:07 PM
Damage control is all he's doing this episode.

I didn't think about it, but a satisfying ending in four more episodes doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Too bad Pii-chan doesn't know any memory altering magic.

MFauli
Fri, 03-01-2024, 11:04 AM
Episode 9:

Well, that was an uneventful episode. I guess at least we now know where this is gonna end: Rescuing Marco from execution.

I feel like Sasaki is holding back way too much, though. So many easier ways to rescue Marco. And why is he taking a taxi when Pii-chan could just teleport him, especially since time is important? weird.

MFauli
Fri, 03-15-2024, 11:33 AM
episode 11:

Yeah, there's no way we'll get a satisfying ending with only 1 episode remaining. I kinda don't need a second season either, so, yeah. It was a fun ride, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone considering how it goes nowhere.

As for this episode, letting this super powerful murderer just go was super frustrating. Unless you're Pii-chan, the most powerful sorcerer ever, how do you even defeat that guy?

MFauli
Fri, 03-22-2024, 11:51 AM
Episode 12/FINAL:

Well, that was that. You'd think a season 2 was a sure thing after that end, but probably not.

Really got angry when they let the magical girls just get away. WHY? The whole encounter was meaningless this way. And I hate Sasaki being nice to them. They're here to KILL psychics and everyone who gets in their way. I'm really growing frustrated to this "only cute girls count, adult male characters are okay to die" shtick in anime. And why didn't Hoshizaki wear a helmet, just so we could see her cute face? sigh.

Glad it's over and I hope no s2 is coming.

MFauli
Sun, 03-24-2024, 02:08 AM
Season 2 announced ... why?! >_>

shinta|hikari
Sun, 03-24-2024, 11:02 AM
I'm glad there is a second season. I need more young girls loving ojisan anime.

neflight86
Wed, 03-27-2024, 09:58 PM
Just caught up. Pretty good, and I'd give a limited recommendation to a seasoned anime fan that knows how these kind of shows can... meander to their next major arc.

I like that they just keep adding additional multiverse character genres without regard for how to 'balance' them until they meet. Demons now, and angel folk by proxy. Though the kuudere next door was going to reveal to be a magical girl, but no; new faction in the world's most cursed apartment building.

The tone is somewhat lighter than I'd hoped, a mfauli mentioned, but the story (concept, really) is interesting enough to continue next season.