PDA

View Full Version : Boukensha ni Naritai to Miyako ni Deteitta Musume ga S Rank ni Natteta

neflight86
Fri, 10-20-2023, 01:36 PM

"The life of an adventurer isn't always a glamorous one. Belgrieve finds this out the hard way when a deadly encounter robs him of his leg and the ability to pursue his dreams not long after setting off for fame and fortune. But fate isn't finished with this retired adventurer! While gathering herbs in the wilderness, he discovers an abandoned baby girl and names her Angeline after deciding to raise her as his own. Angeline grows up to become a top-tier adventurer in her own right, yet after venturing out into the world and making a name for herself, fame, fortune, and power hold no allure for the accomplished S-rank adventurer: her heartfelt wish is for nothing more than to see her father again."

Genre(s): Fantasy, Action, Comedy

Research (https://subsplease.org/shows/s-rank-musume/)

Not a great show, but it won me over pretty early by being fun and largely wholesome. That the father/daughter combo can exist and function just fine without each other and their relationship isn't in any way fetishized makes this go down much smoother. Yes, there is some hero worship that culminates in a bunch of 'oooh's and 'ahhh's, but it didn't bother me as much as I figured it would. Ange is a cute spoiled daughter figure and manages to bounce off of Belgrieve great even through letters alone, making the reunion in episode 3 more heartwarming. This show also understands that a meal is much better when complimented with side dishes so the flavor doesn't get old; the side cast are used well and compliment the world building. 'Competent' and 'comforting' are the greatest praise I can heap on this.

David75
Sat, 10-21-2023, 12:57 AM
The art felt right too, at least first episode since budget struck after that. There's a 90/00 feeling to it.
I had higher hopes after ep1, liked the wait for the reunion. Now that it's done I do not have any hopes other than some adventure slice of life father con show.

neflight86
Sun, 10-22-2023, 09:57 AM
Yeah the episode after the reunion didn't have the same drive as the initial 'quest', but I have hope the rest will be adequate.

I forgot the greatest fantasy in this entire show is the supposition that a 12-17 year old girl would want anything do do with her father, har har!

David75
Sun, 10-22-2023, 01:02 PM
I totally get you on that fantasy, just that said girl is more like a 4 to 7 year old when with her papa hahaha