PDA

View Full Version : Shy

neflight86
Thu, 10-19-2023, 05:34 PM

"Earth was on the brink of a third World War when super-powered individuals came forth from each country around the globe, ending the conflict and ushering in a new era of relative peace. Among those heroes, Japan is represented by a timid young girl known as "Shy." She may spend more time worrying about her own shortcomings than she does battling villains, but she'll show the world that despite it all she still has the heart of a hero!"

Genre(s): Drama, Action, Superheroes

Research (https://subsplease.org/shows/shy/)

Bored to tears. An unfortunate waste of some pretty okay animation. Do you like lots and lots of feelings in your superhero shows? Enough feelings to make Deku embarrassed? I've long since passed saturation with modern marvel/dc media, but this left even me thirsty for more action, less talk.

Shy is simply... insufferable as a protagonist unless perhaps you've never once witnessed crippling social anxiety in anime, in which case you might find the novelty interesting... which is no one reading this. All of her lines take about twice as long as they should due to stuttering and hesitation while she blames herself for all the bad in the world, apparently. If you can watch the first episode and not roll your eyes at her self depreciation after saving someone (with powers that look like they come more from her suit than herself), you're a more patient person than I.

Plain cast of boring characters, battles about 'getting hit until our feelings connect', and vague platitudes about 'making the world a better place' belong in something that looks much uglier. Pass.