PDA

View Full Version : Bullbuster

neflight86
Mon, 10-16-2023, 12:17 AM

"A young engineer named Okino Tetsurou who has developed the new robot Bullbuster is transferred to Hato Industries, a company that exterminates harmful animals. There, the company and its president Tajima Kouji are up against a mysterious lifeform named "Kyoujuu." As a small business that is always finding itself short on money, Hato must always account for every expense such as fuel and pilot labor. And of course, missed shots are not tolerated. The company is always stuck between their ideals of Kyoujuu extermination and the reality of the economy.

Source: ANN"

Genre(s): Mecha, Office, Drama

Research (https://subsplease.org/shows/bullbuster/)

A plain concept that should be boring, and at face value, it kinda is... But at the same time, I had a lot of fun with the characters and their interplay. While still a little over the top (this is anime, after all), character introductions and motivations were great and fitting for a 'mom and pop' style mecha outfit. Money is tight, personnel stretched somewhat thin, and the dangers of UMAs can wear down anyone.

The early conflict of getting Okino 'climatized' to his new co-workers who's motivations differ from his own is handled, twice over, in a way I can appreciate. Firstly, his own enthusiasm for his ideas and how they can benefit the company aren't immediately trash canned in the face of the sentimental argument of 'not underestimating the danger and havoc caused by those beasts'. It also doesn't 'side' against the old ways that may or may not have contributed to the company's current financial crisis. Both perspectives gain respect for each other, and the way it is done is great: they get frustrated and talk it out. This here is what I expect out of anime with working adults telling a serious story: the emotional maturity to say what they mean and work things out for mutual benefit.

That said, I can't say this was amazing, but it's clearly in my strike zone.