PDA

View Full Version : Okashi na Tensei

neflight86
Tue, 07-18-2023, 10:56 AM

"* Based on a fantasy isekai light novel series written by Koryuu Nozomu and illustrated by Shuri Yasuyuki.

Pastry Mille Morteln, age 9, is both his father's heir and the reincarnation of an unfulfilled pastry chef. While he dreams of a land filled with sweet treats, there's a lot to be done first! From learning how to fight, to controlling his new magical talents and doing his best to defend his village from bandits, and yet all he really wants to do is bake the perfect apple pie..."

Genre(s): Isekai, Cooking

1-2

Nothing very new, but the quick escalation into a mini-battle arc was a good twist compared to the typical 'I'm here now, so lets see how I can turn this world upside down with my cheat skills' formula. Yes, his ultimate motivation is to revive Cake Boss (and its cute how his dad interprets his obsession as fitting lord material), but that comes secondary to sustaining his fiefdom from this present crisis. Replication should be very useful skill for a maker of delicacies in the middle of nowhere... Follow up arc and how obnoxious the harem is (let's not kid ourselves) will determine the longevity of Okasha na Tensei.

neflight86
Wed, 08-23-2023, 04:37 PM
3-9

Still a decent watch. I'd most closely compare it to Ascendance of a Bookworm in that the protagonist has a grand hobbyist dream and must painstakingly shape the isekai world itself to make it come true. Politics, adventure and the like are just means to an end. A bit more crude than that, though, yet the supporting characters get some good screen time so the story feels somewhat wholistic.

David75
Thu, 08-24-2023, 12:40 AM
You'd think making sweets and pastries is the main theme, but not at all. A bit lacking because of that, at least I was hoping for more.

neflight86
Fri, 08-25-2023, 12:13 PM
I let the neglect of his actual passion slide because I'm not personally interested in seeing a 'land of sweets'. The political maneuvering is done well enough to remain plenty interesting for me. Were you particularly interested in sweets making, or rather, the anime take on it?

David75
Fri, 08-25-2023, 12:49 PM
The anime take on it, just to follow the theme somehow.
Not the end of the world. This is a nice anime to watch when bored.

neflight86
Fri, 08-25-2023, 04:24 PM
A fair assessment.