PDA

View Full Version : Yumemiru Danshi wa Genjitsushugisha

neflight86
Tue, 07-18-2023, 09:58 AM

"Sajou Wataru is madly in love with his classmate, Natsukawa Aika, to the point where he daydreams about them being together and constantly pesters her for attention. One day, however, Wataru realizes that he isn't right for a relationship with Aika, and so he begins to keep an appropriate distance. Confused by his sudden change in behavior, Aika becomes convinced that Wataru hates her now. A mixed up comedy of errors ensues.

Source: Ani-One"

Genre(s): Comedy, Romance, Drama

1-3

A pleasant surprise, for sure. The synopsis, while correct, doesn't really capture the mood of the show that I find so appealing. At first, this is a story about someone falling out of love after years of rejection, and I'm down for the twist. Invest your limited time where it counts, and MC finally realizes that when a girl says no for so long to the point of it being rote and a classroom in-joke, it might be time to move on. All would be fine, but of course main girl is a giga-closet-tsun and immediately is confused that her abuse no longer attracts her only love. Heh... there's a bit of catharsis seeing this comeuppance... but the show wisely doesn't center all of its interactions on such garnish; there's a more complete meal on the table.

My favorite rom-coms from recent years have been the more unabashedly cynical ones like SNAFU, Bottom Tier Character Tomozaki-kun, and to a lesser extent, last season's Oshi No Ko. I guess realist perspectives resonate more with me, and Yumemiru Danshi wa Genjitsushugisha is such (it's in the title). The interactions and side arcs with other girls have more meat than simply fawning over the protagonist (actually addressing problems with some nuance) and the story feels richer for it. Recommended.