PDA

View Full Version : Undead Murder Girl Farce

neflight86
Tue, 07-18-2023, 09:01 AM

"The 19th century — a world inhabited by vampires, golems, werewolves and other paranormal creatures. Immortal beauty and disembodied head Rindou Aya, along with half-human-half-demon "Demon Killer" Shin'uchi Tsugaru and her loyal maid Hasei Shizuku, travels through Europe as supernatural detective "The Cage User," solving supernatural mysteries while she searches for her lost body.

Source: Crunchyroll"

Genre(s): Mystery, Supernatural, Action(?)

1-2

Glad I gave this a second episode, becuase the first one was less interesting as it was mostly setup. It also wasn't indicative about what the show brings to the table. I had to double check that this wasn't written by Gen Urobuchi because the dialogue felt so similar to his; characters bantering why waxing philosophic... it got the job done but didn't inspire.

Thankfully, once the second episode began and the first mystery afoot, things became so much better. I owl eyed at the sudden and unwelcome end of the second ep and had to double check that the runtime wasn't truncated. The highest praise I can give, really. Ryll has been singing its praises in the seasonal thread, and is correct. Give this a try if you like mysteries and a decidedly less... anime take on the supernatural.

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-22-2023, 06:52 AM
Yeah, this is my favorite series of the season at the three-episode test mark.

I do wish they had solved the mystery by the end of this episode, but I like the way it is progressing nevertheless.

The dialogue is very snappy, the voice performance is exceptional even from the smaller-part characters, the episodes fly by because the pacing is nearly-perfect and the dialogues make it very engaging.

It's a well-crafted mystery series. I love the level of detail in bringing up that silver burns the vampires even through gloves in eps 2, but Aya was watching every vampire's hands the entire dinner to see if she could spot any scarring and found none, thus eliminating the family members from being the direct participant in the wife's murder...except that's not entirely true (as pointed out by other posters on other forums).

It's one thing for a mystery series to tell us after the fact, but you can go back in this episode and see the camera linger on the vampire's hands as they ate.

I'm also a fan of the main trio's dynamic. Aya and Tsugaru constantly cracking jokes and puns with each other while Shizuku follows along in complete disgust of their wordplay.

neflight86
Sat, 07-22-2023, 08:47 AM
Forgot to update after ep 3 myself. Really great and pulled the 'wait, its over?' again. Impressive so far and screen time isn't wasted to pad out the mystery, and remembering that this will be one of many is exciting by itself.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-29-2023, 02:44 PM
Ep 4

----------------

Interesting series. The setting etc and little-girl-solving-cases reminds me of Gosick while the verbal sparing reminds me of Bakemonogatari.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 07-29-2023, 07:37 PM
And I love that the show had the subtlety not to go back to the Elder Son to show how much the Oni-Killer was holding back when Elder Son threatened and choked him. We viewers know the Elder Son is shook after seeing Oni-Killer's true power, but we never get to see that because ultimately it does not matter in the face of the current tragedy.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-02-2023, 04:09 PM
Episode 05

------------------

I wasn't actually expecting Holmes. He's less likable here than in the novels.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-06-2023, 12:20 PM
I wasn't actually expecting Holmes. He's less likable here than in the novels.

He's best when he isn't likeable at all in my opinion. It's what makes his dynamic good.

Downey Jr. played him insufferable (correctly). Cumberbatch did as well. And the late Yuko Takeuchi did too in the genderswapped jdrama.

It's very amusing watching him and Aya detective-spar just immediately upon meeting.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-26-2023, 04:33 PM
Episode 12

--------------

The werewolf story's become much more complicated than I thought. I find this series quite good, but the pacing means I often forget about it and end up watching this in blocks of 3-4 episodes. So, essentially in arcs.

Ryllharu
Tue, 09-26-2023, 05:17 PM
Not that this season has a lot of good offerings, but this is by far my favorite show this season.

The chemistry and banter are always good.

But yeah, there's a lot of horrible angst in the werewolf story. I'm honestly astonished it devolved into a bloodbath so quickly, but that seems to have been the intention all along.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-28-2023, 12:04 AM
Episode 12

-------------------

I found it hard to believe that Rosa mistook her own daughter despite her keen sense of smell. You could say it was because she sat in the flowers which were maybe strong smelling, but that's it.

Also, Banquet was supposed to be there to capture a werewolf for their experiments. They beat the Insurance dudes but then just backed off. There was no signs that they captured a werewolf at all per their plan, and also had the perfect opportunity to catch the golden one.

Ryllharu
Thu, 09-28-2023, 04:27 AM
Yeah, I was surprised it didn't end with Moriarty capturing Jutte as a means to show that he was outsmarting Aya as revenge to them ruining their plan in London previously.

Jutte was spending time every day with Louise in the cave to wash off the werewolf/villagers smell. She had time to directly get some Louise stink on her before heading back up the cliff.

I kinda wanted to see the old werewolf hag die, but I guess Jutte's true revenge is leaving her alive knowing that the old lady exiled the perfect eugenic werewolf's mother and she's been wrong for decades.

I was also surprised at the way the Carmilla/Shizuku fight went. Looks like Carmilla awakened something in Shizuku that she doesn't really want to admit.

This series was my favorite of the season. There wasn't a lot of competition, but this one would have held up in a much stronger season too.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-28-2023, 12:22 PM
Jutte was spending time every day with Louise in the cave to wash off the werewolf/villagers smell. She had time to directly get some Louise stink on her before heading back up the cliff.

What do you mean? How would Louise stink help her?

Ryllharu
Thu, 09-28-2023, 04:15 PM
What do you mean? How would Louise stink help her?

Rosa mistook Jutte for Louise despite her sensitive nose.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-29-2023, 11:31 AM
I thought the whole cave thing came after the mistake.

-Rosa and Jutte lived in the village.
-Rosa mistook Louise for Jutte in the forrest.
-Louise outed Jutte so she wouldn't be abandoned.
-Rosa was burned to death. Jutte went to the werewolf village to live as Nora.
--------timeskip-----
-Jutte returned to human village and kidnapped Louise
-Louise was in the cave for 1.5 years.
-Jutte played the roles of Louise and Nora for 1.5 years.

-Murders happen and so forth.

Louise in a cave should not have impacted on Rosa's mistake.

Ryllharu
Fri, 09-29-2023, 11:32 AM
Oh, we were talking about two different incidents. I'm back on the same page now.