PDA

View Full Version : Dark Gathering

neflight86
Thu, 07-13-2023, 12:37 PM

"After a devastating encounter with a restless spirit, ghost-fearing psychic Gentouga Keitarou became a shut-in to avoid additional spectral catastrophes. But no man is a haunted island, and Keitarou eventually reintegrates with society by getting a part-time job as a tutor to the child prodigy Houzuki Yayoi. Yayoi isn't just an academic genius, though. She's a talented psychic medium hell-bent on finding the malevolent spirit behind her mother's disappearance, and she's gravely determined to drag Keitarou into her terrifying world of grotesque supernatural phenomenon.

Source: HIDIVE"

Genre(s): Horror, Thriller, Comedy

Barely scraping by, the sinister end of the episode saved it for me. To start, a bog-standard setup of pairing a shut in (who attracts ghosts) meeting deadpan loli who wants to find ghosts; hijinks ensue. It was nice that the double pupil character design was actually addressed in the episode. Silly confrontations at the telephone booth with no appreciable tension for the first 90% of the episode followed by some mild empathetic loli backstory was losing me, but when Eiko tipped her hand at Keitarou's contradiction... that might have bought one more episode out of me for potential intrigue. Not recommended thus far.