PDA

View Full Version : Genjitsu no Yohane -SUNSHINE in the MIRROR-

neflight86
Thu, 07-13-2023, 09:40 AM

"The "story no one knows about a girl everyone knows" reimagines Tsushima Yoshiko, the school idol afflicted with chuunibyou (adolescent delusions of grandeur), as a fortune-telling girl. The story is set in Numazu, a scenic harbor town surrounded by the sea and mountains. Ever since she was little, the girl Yohane has never fit in, and has always felt apart from everyone in town. Her aspirations and true place in this world lie elsewhere.

Source: ANN"

Genre(s): Slice of life, Fantasy, Sentai, Mecha

1-3

Not quite what I expected... but sort of? I went in thinking this was a P.A. Works show, but have since been corrected. It had me fooled: cute girls kindling friendship in a quaint village- the only thing missing was that this wasn't a real Japanese backwater town being low-key promoted... All the other hallmarks were here- good characterization, animation that goes hard but not too hard, and a varied cast with lives outside of their screen time.

Bratty disillusioned girl tries to make it big in the big city and, running out of time and money, return home to her humble waterside village where she plans the next phase of her life while reconnecting with the local other cute girls her age. Until the end of episode 2, this was mostly fluff, but once the supernatural elements started taking center stage culminating in a small scale monster battle, things looked up for a bit. While it is still cute, I'm not convinced that this production crew/studio will make anything worthwhile out of this setup, but I'm willing to find out. Cautions recommendation.