PDA

View Full Version : Oshi no Ko

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-12-2023, 03:47 PM
Oshi no Ko

https://i.imgur.com/f3VwS0X.png

Description: "In the world of showbiz, lies are weapons." Gorou works as an OB-GYN in the countryside, a life far removed from the entertainment industry. Meanwhile, his favorite idol, Hoshino Ai, has begun her climb to stardom. The two meet in the "worst possible way," setting the gears of fate in motion!
(borrowed from MangaPlus)

-----------

First episode is 1 hour and 20 minutes. Strongly recommend everyone watch it.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 04-13-2023, 02:05 AM
Goddamn! That took a lot of turns!

David75
Thu, 04-13-2023, 08:57 AM
Goddamn! That took a lot of turns!
Felt like being in Takumi's passenger seat against God Hand.
Not sure the show can live up to it's intro.
I overlooked all the shortcomings, lots of them actually, and fully enjoyed what was brought to me.
After watching anime for so long, you think you can't be surprised or have fun... well it still happens !

neflight86
Thu, 04-13-2023, 11:07 AM
... That took a lot of turns!

...what he said!

I remember trying and dropping this manga a few years ago, which covered about the first 15 minutes of this episode. It was truly galaxy-brain to make this a five episode length prologue, because I wouldn't have made it to the actual story if I had to wade through multiple episodes to reach the real hook of this show.

"Twisted". That's the one word descriptor I'd use to describe everything here. That, and maybe "cynical". I'm typically put off by people worshipping idols so fervently, and that being taken seriously- I'd prefer it as the butt of a joke, but here our main character is a hopeless idol fan/degenerate. I like that his reasons are expounded upon as carrying on the enthusiasm of a lost patient, so he is a little less embarrassing, but his whole character still put me off out of the gate.

I also had to hand wave his poor decision making of chasing out the stalker into the woods to die a mysterious death like a true chump. Run time suggests that when he awoken as a baby, the first episode should have ended, and I would have been good to drop this just like in the manga... but the show went on.

I applaud the show concealing its hand so well for the first hour of its runtime. The childhood years seemed like some basic (boring) wish fulfillment at first, but slowly peeled back the layers of slime that compromise the idol gig (and by association the entertainment industry as a whole). I was wondering what the narrative point of all the positioning, character development of the suuuuper ditsy mom and struggle was, but now I get it, and I'm stoked to continue.

They gambled and it payed out for a very interesting setup to what could be an excellent mystery/thriller or perhaps a hybrid story if more focus is put on the daughter. I'm in.

Because they fit nowhere else in my thoughts: Manager's wife is easily best girl in this series- she's true to her trashy personality and still remains cute, sincere, and redemptive (coming to see the two as her own children even when her life course didn't go as hoped). I love it, though I don't expect her to have a prominent place in the show going forward. Also, the director's 'drinking buddy' conversations with a 3 year old being swept under the rug as 'a sign of the times' is so negligently Japanese I can't help but chuckle at them.

After watching anime for so long, you think you can't be surprised or have fun... well it still happens !

Spoken like a sage!

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-13-2023, 03:26 PM
"Twisted". That's the one word descriptor I'd use to describe everything here. That, and maybe "cynical". I'm typically put off by people worshipping idols so fervently, and that being taken seriously- I'd prefer it as the butt of a joke, but here our main character is a hopeless idol fan/degenerate. I like that his reasons are expounded upon as carrying on the enthusiasm of a lost patient, so he is a little less embarrassing, but his whole character still put me off out of the gate.
That right there is the whole theme of the series. The narrator stated it right from the very beginning, the entire entertainment world is built on lies, fully self-aware, and only the audience is left out of the loop when they willingly choose to do so and believe all the lies they're shoveled.

Ai in particular gets a full character arc on how her life was built on lies. She's honestly a bit of a sociopath throughout the arc, but she also knows it. She's never been loved and has no idea how to genuinely show it, but was more than happy to feed the Lie of Love to her audience in the hope that the lie would eventually be made real. Her initial motivation to have children was a mistake, because she was hoping to be forced into the position of loving them and finally learning what it meant. She was deathly afraid of it being a lie, which means she'd be as irredeemable as her own mother. Thankfully, her worries were just in her head, and she got what she wanted all along, if bittersweet.

Aqua and Ruby have the same thematic core problems. Ruby was abandoned, though not as completely as Ai was. She's also not sure if it is okay to actually strive for what she wants, and we saw that in the dance practice scenes. Aqua is so damn good at lying, that he is starting to lose a sense of what's actually true. His genuine love for Ai has twisted into a weird self-destructive desire for revenge, and he's also been lying to Ruby to keep her "innocent," like Sarina was to him. He just doesn't know that she isn't either, because he couldn't make the connection that she really is Sarina, and he didn't know her quite as completely as he thought.

The scene with child-actress Arima Kana was a different perspective on lies, one for good. The Director lied to Kana and used Aqua to do it, in order to break Kana of a budding pattern of arrogance that would only hurt her career in the long run (like many child actors who get full of themselves and then find all their roles vanish). He used non-actor Aqua to humble Kana. She broke down because her pride was shattered, but desperately asked for more takes, which will only make her better.

Death BOO Z
Sat, 04-15-2023, 09:02 AM
can't write as much as others, but I really love the manga, and the first episode didn't disappoint. they did an amazing job with Ai.

the visual moment of turning the camera at the room after the stab was great, I hope we get more of those shots.

Kraco
Sun, 04-16-2023, 01:43 PM
The doctor ran after the exceedingly shady stalker and got killed. That was so unnatural that I had to pause the video for a while and recall Ryll praising this series, to keep watching. I was wondering why the series had such a trash isekai quality setting for the MC, but then the last line (not including post-ed) "And now, I begin my revenge play" was from an edgelord revenge isekai. Makes sense.

Yeah, the various twists will allow me to keep watching. Especially Ai dying. I didn't see that coming. I also didn't foresee the Japanese police actually finding the apparent murderer. That was the biggest twist, knowing the world-famous incompetence of what goes for the police force in Japan. But then again, it was also a setting for Aqua's real revenge against the mastermind, presumably the biological father, so that much had to happen.

Ai was an interesting character. Narcissist sociopathy arises from not knowing any love in childhood and thus desiring it (and basically any attention, admiration, etc), selfishly, in adulthood, no matter the cost. Ironically such people can make great idols, actors, politicians, and so forth precisely because they stop at nothing to capture people's attention, but at the same time they couldn't care less about all of those people's own wishes or needs, which allows them to keep going and rise very high, never getting satisfied and always renewing their ambition. Ai certainly wasn't a dangerous example of the disorder, but she was an example nonetheless.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 04-17-2023, 02:16 PM
I also didn't foresee the Japanese police actually finding the apparent murderer. That was the biggest twist, knowing the world-famous incompetence of what goes for the police force in Japan. To be fair, it's not like they caught him. He killed himself.

The stalker was the source of many a relief twist for me.

At first I was like, "Oh no, his twin sister is the stalker. He musta killed himself right after killing the doctor to make all this happen." But then, no.

And then I was like, "Oh no, their father is the stalker." But then, no.

I'm a little annoyed that they're holding off on revealing the identities of the twins to each other. Seems like something they would have EVENTUALLY talked about by the time they were teenagers.

Kraco
Mon, 04-17-2023, 03:29 PM
I'm a little annoyed that they're holding off on revealing the identities of the twins to each other. Seems like something they would have EVENTUALLY talked about by the time they were teenagers.

Yeah, it seems almost impossible. They were both diehard fans of Ai in their past and new lives. So, they would obviously talk about her with great obsession. Anyone who's really thrilled about something will keep prattling about it heedlessly, given an audience, until they may, or may not, suddenly become aware of it and stop themselves. If there are two people, or more, sharing exactly the same source of eagerness, nothing should stop them. So, it's quite remarkable they didn't spill the beans even if they never consciously meant to.

I'd say the only reason is that there's a certain kind of wall between them. I'm not going to say dislike, but just the fact they already lived one life and formed their own personalities, separate from each other, unlike siblings normally growing up in the same household. So, actually all they shared was their fandom, they weren't real siblings, even if they share the same blood biologically. It was like two strangers forced to live in the same house for years, both having quite different personalities, which caused clashes. So, I suppose their discussions tended to be "professional" (if you can call fandom that), without anything personal in them, aside from opinions.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 04-19-2023, 12:44 PM
episode 2: much more ruby centric. it's nepo-babies time!

I like the OP, a good mix of peppy and dark. the visual of the ED with aqua being in a movie fit the theme.

not that much of visual episode, though.

Kraco
Wed, 04-19-2023, 02:06 PM
I can understand Aqua's behavior quite well, based on the first ep. Even if he doesn't know Ruby is the kid he once lost as a doctor, he still knows he doesn't want to lose another important person. He's also pretty disillusioned because he was already old enough in his previous life, so he was never going to live the dream-filled teenage years for a second time. Especially after he watched Ai getting murdered. Ruby, or rather Sarina, died quite young, so she's now living her teenage years for the first time, so obviously she's going to have her head in the clouds. That's a truly fundamental difference between the two.

Nevertheless, I feel like the director was saying something important to Aqua, so it's a crying shame the I-don't-care mother interrupted them time after time. I don't understand how the director can keep living in the same house with her. There are lots of abandoned houses/apartments all over Japan, including Tokyo, due to the shrinking population, so he should get a place of his own. It's not like a director needs to live in the middle of Tokyo anyway. He's not going to direct movies in his own house, and where he edits them afterwards doesn't matter one bit.

It's difficult to expect overly exciting school time from Aqua, though. Having been a physician in his past life, he must have cleared everything, including university, decently enough, so it must be annoying for him to go through it again. I doubt he finds the other students that interesting either, having an adult's mind himself.

David75
Wed, 04-19-2023, 02:18 PM
light or dark eye... easy to understand.
I didn't think about how Aqua wants to protect Ruby teenage days. And I'm pretty sure he knows full well she's Sarina. She didn't confirm, but he asked... So protecting her teenage years (and everywhen after...) is even more important to him.

Regarding his inability to enjoy a second teenagehood, I hope Kana can unlock that. Ruby and Aqua have star eyes, Kana has got galaxy eyes, don't know if there's a meaning/destiny with those, but I hope she can push him hard out of his self inflicted misery.

At least studying will not take much of his time, so he should enjoy all kind of good experiences teenagers and students may have.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 04-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Nevertheless, I feel like the director was saying something important to Aqua, so it's a crying shame the I-don't-care mother interrupted them time after time. I don't understand how the director can keep living in the same house with her. There are lots of abandoned houses/apartments all over Japan, including Tokyo, due to the shrinking population, so he should get a place of his own. It's not like a director needs to live in the middle of Tokyo anyway. He's not going to direct movies in his own house, and where he edits them afterwards doesn't matter one bit.

is that really a thing? I think the population shrinking mostly effects the outskirts, not the large towns (which draw in the few youths that do live). city center is always going to be expensive.

Kraco
Wed, 04-19-2023, 03:17 PM
is that really a thing? I think the population shrinking mostly effects the outskirts, not the large towns (which draw in the few youths that do live). city center is always going to be expensive.

In the past I watched a Youtube short video from a foreigner looking person living in Japan. He talked about it and how he bought an abandoned house in Tokyo for a price that sounded quite unreal (like, cheap). He needed to do extensive renovations, but that's often the case with houses where a couple lived till they died of old age. Of course it was just a Youtube video, so there's no verified credibility, but it did sound valid when watching it. If you are willing to live outside of the cities, you can apparently get a big house practically for pocket money.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 04-19-2023, 04:53 PM
I wrote something else and it got deleted, then someone posted a video about houses costing 20k (https://youtu.be/3MlPegqbDf4)

it doesn't say it happens in tokyo, but we're already getting off-course.

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-19-2023, 06:39 PM
I like how we progressive go from Miyako lounging around and contemplating selling the secret, doing the books in the past (proving she was actually competent beyond her vocalized desire to hang out with pretty boy talents) to fully running the company now. She's grown into a truly loving parent for those two, who looks out for them in a quite direct way. She challenged Ruby's dreams in a more direct and methodical manner to show she looks out for them. That's effective character development by showing things rather than shitting out tons of exposition.
She's a real pro about their work now.

Aqua on the other hand, is a bastard about it, but he does love his sister dearly and genuinely. He doesn't want her to screw herself over going with some trashy underground groups, and especially doesn't want her going into the Idol Meatgrinder (they're not really shy about how that was an attack on Yasushi Akimoto's groups like AKB48/Sakamichi/dozens of others). The kind where you're either at the top risking semen-covered handshakes from fans, or out in a matter of months and off to the AV circuit. Cheery and very prominent on television, ads, and public events, but ruthless and soulless on the inside of the super groups with almost no chance to stand out.

He's probably misguided in his overprotectiveness though. He thinks the whole burden is on him to avenge their mother, and wants Ruby strictly innocent and out of it to live her happy life out of showbiz. Which one, she clearly is willing to risk it despite being a subpar singer, and two, between the toddler flame-wars and some of the other super creepy stuff Ruby said as a baby, Sarina had plenty of darkness to her too. They should be working together, but Aqua has a dumbass attitude of self-sacrifice in their collective vengeance that I'm not thrilled about.

Kraco
Thu, 04-20-2023, 07:17 AM
He's probably misguided in his overprotectiveness though. He thinks the whole burden is on him to avenge their mother, and wants Ruby strictly innocent and out of it to live her happy life out of showbiz. Which one, she clearly is willing to risk it despite being a subpar singer, and two, between the toddler flame-wars and some of the other super creepy stuff Ruby said as a baby, Sarina had plenty of darkness to her too. They should be working together, but Aqua has a dumbass attitude of self-sacrifice in their collective vengeance that I'm not thrilled about.

He probably feels more like Ruby's guardian/dad than brother. He was already 30 years old (or something) when he died, but he knows Ruby was much younger. So, he's trying to protect her happy childhood, like a responsible adult should. Watching AI get murdered by "a fan" must have affected his image of the idol industry exactly as one would expect.

I wonder how the Japanese justice system works. Did they get any compensation money from the murderer?

Death BOO Z
Thu, 04-20-2023, 12:14 PM
I don't think so. Ai was an orphan living on her own without family, the twins are registered under the directors' family. they couldn't sue without going public. and I don't think the family of the murderer could even pay that much, and a trial would be the worst possible thing for everyone to endure. they would try to say that Ai has partial responsibility because she opened the door or something like that.

something else: in the manga, one of the twitter comments accuses Shinzo Abe (the Japanese prime minister) as being weak on crime. this did not age well, and they were right to remove it from the anime.

Kraco
Thu, 04-20-2023, 02:15 PM
I don't think so. Ai was an orphan living on her own without family, the twins are registered under the directors' family. they couldn't sue without going public. and I don't think the family of the murderer could even pay that much, and a trial would be the worst possible thing for everyone to endure. they would try to say that Ai has partial responsibility because she opened the door or something like that.

Even if they are registered, now, under the Saitou name, the government obviously would know the truth. I believe privacy laws actually are pretty strict in Japan, despite lots of scummy yellow press, so they might have sought compensation without needing to expose themselves. Although that being said, what's the damage anyway when the mother is dead and cremated? I wouldn't count on the murderer having any family. He looked like a total loner, psycho otaku. He probably didn't possess anything valuable, but at least they could have taken what was there to take. Unless he had inherited a lot of money. If he owned a considerable inheritance, then I guess his relatives that would directly benefit might have tried to fight it. But it's pretty hard to fight against a murderer's victims, to defend the murderer, who had even killed himself and thus won't testify anymore. I doubt it would work even in the USA, which famously is governed by lawyers, let alone elsewhere.

David75
Thu, 04-20-2023, 02:27 PM
For now we think Aqua's genitor is the mastermind because Aqua thinks so.
The problem is that he never had any screen time that we are aware of at least.

So I guess that ep was to show the state of that world when Aqua is 15 before we start ?

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-20-2023, 03:47 PM
Even if they are registered, now, under the Saitou name, the government obviously would know the truth. I believe privacy laws actually are pretty strict in Japan, despite lots of scummy yellow press,
They still use the Hoshino surname, but they would be in the Saito Family Registry instead of the Hoshino Family Registry now. That said, we don't actually know if Ai was also in the Saito Family Registry as she was abandoned and Ichigo was her official guardian already. I don't believe the public knew Ai's surname, or if they did, it wouldn't matter.

Their family name all has the same Kanji and reading. Ai's stage name was the same katakana as her real name. Aqua and Ruby have Kanji real names and katakana stage names and neither includes their surname.

Japanese laws aren't just strict. Even if something is TRUE, but damaging to someone's reputation, they can sue for damages. In the US, libel (printed slander) is only awarded if lawyers can prove the journalist/author knew what they printed (or said) was false. If it was true, libel/slander laws do not apply.

But Aqua, Ruby, and Miyako are currently hiding that the twins are Ai's children. No one knows Ai had children except for the senior staff of Ichigo Productions, the dead murderer, and the twins' father. Possibly not even the police.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 04-20-2023, 11:14 PM
So I assume the plot about the twins tricking her into thinking the gods sent them was just dropped.

Kraco
Fri, 04-21-2023, 01:54 AM
So I assume the plot about the twins tricking her into thinking the gods sent them was just dropped.

Only a religious fanatic would bother to keep believing such a thing. It was a shock in the beginning, with really small kids speaking like that, but when years roll by without anything else happening, who would keep thinking about it? Especially after Ai was murdered shortly after. You might say that Miyako grew up as well and the advice she gave Ruby is actually something she follows herself.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 04-21-2023, 12:15 PM
Only a religious fanatic would bother to keep believing such a thing. It was a shock in the beginning, with really small kids speaking like that, but when years roll by without anything else happening, who would keep thinking about it?But...what's the alternative explanation? The kids talked like full-grown adults before the age of 1 because...? That doesn't just go away.

That's like being like, "Well, I met an alien 10 years ago. But I haven't seen an alien since then so...I guess they don't actually exist." No, you'd remember that shit and wouldn't just let it go if it didn't ever come up again.

In fact, it would be weird that she wasn't constantly bringing it up! Like "Hey! Where's the famous boyfriend you promised me! I thought you were sent by gods or something!"

Even if they eventually got tired of pretending and come clean, the truth is JUST AS RIDICULOUS as the lie they told!

Kraco
Fri, 04-21-2023, 12:36 PM
That's what I'm saying. When the years went by without anythings special happening, she probably also downplayed the whole incident in her mind. Like, sure, the little kids talked very fancily, but perhaps not quite as remarkably as she thought. Maybe she was just so shocked that their talk sounded far more profound than it was. Aqua aside, Ruby has probably been acting exactly her age for many years already, and at this point Aqua isn't anything unimaginable anymore, either. Furthermore, Miyako has probably been exceedingly busy with running the shaky business, so she's likely lacking the energy to think about it anymore.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-21-2023, 12:50 PM
I actually think she still believes they are sent by God, but since God hasn't complained yet, she figured she is doing a fine job so far. She hasn't thrown them out for a hot dick yet, at least.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 04-21-2023, 12:54 PM
In fact, it would be weird that she wasn't constantly bringing it up! Like "Hey! Where's the famous boyfriend you promised me! I thought you were sent by gods or something!"

Even if they eventually got tired of pretending and come clean, the truth is JUST AS RIDICULOUS as the lie they told!

I don't think she believes they remember that, she probably thinks they were possessed at that time, and some outer being was talking to her through them, rather than them being conscious as babies.

BUT... they did continue to talk with her later on (that's how they got her to bring them to the show where they did the light sticks dance), so she might believe they are aware of that talk.

of course, another explanation is that she failed. she was tasked by the gods to protect Ai and her babies, and she failed. Ai is dead. she squandered her chances (and lost her husband), she is lucky to be alive after such transgression towards the heavens. maybe she even took the twins as her kids to show the gods she repents and protect her life. maybe she believes that her second marriage will come eventually.

I don't believe either of those explainnations.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 04-21-2023, 08:40 PM
she squandered her chances (and lost her husband), she is lucky to be alive after such transgression towards the heavens.To be fair, she didn't want her husband.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 04-26-2023, 11:00 AM
episode 3.

I'm having trouble with Arima's cutesy voice. it's too childlike, and there isn't enough of a difference between when she turns it on and off. I liked how they depicted the "bad acting" scenes with very flat audio and without any punctuation in the dialog.

David75
Wed, 04-26-2023, 01:36 PM
Most of the ep was built around the need to see Aqua and Kana blow the stage with an amazing performance, probably making that last episode something to move the internets and maybe even start a reboot of the show futher down the line.
But of course, it was the cliffhanger, saw it coming.
Ok that's my interpretation with what I felt...

I have to say they use several tones of humor, from light to dark, stereotypes and everything. Caustic depiction of the acting and idol business, but very nice to watch and enjoyable.

That dedication, 4 years to get to the correct pin number...

Loved the intro movie, was afraid the rest of the show would be stale, it is actually without Ai, but it is enjoyable. So let's see what the cliffhanger is about.
Might also be some kind of trap: scene happened, fans loved it, but we the audience will never see it.

I'm not super interrested in the detective part of the show. But it is a driving force for Aqua and the story, so deal with it.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 04-26-2023, 01:47 PM
I'm not entirely sure I'm going to keep up with this. I originally watched this because it was by the same author as Love Is War. But it doesn't actually have any of the things that I like about Love Is War.

That first episode WAS a crazy roller coaster. But I'm not really invested in what's going on now, and the show isn't really funny at all.

Kraco
Wed, 04-26-2023, 02:43 PM
It seems to me Arima is actually teaching Aqua lesson, not in acting but in living. Aqua has dedicated his life to hunting down the biological father and on the side is trying to prevent Ruby from falling into the traps of the idol industry, but it means he's not living for himself at all. Arima, however, despite having the fall of her reputation and poor success in the entertainment industry as a result of that, is still trying to push forward and actually enjoy her life. It would be easy to start hating the acting world when subjected to cheap projects where nobody else gives a shit, but considering how she chased after Aqua and kept tryint to talk to him, I'd say she's not letting it get under her skin. How life treats you often depends on how you treat life. That's the lesson Aqua should try to learn. Unfortunately nobody can tell him that he only lives once, so he needs to take everything out of it.,

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-27-2023, 08:20 PM
Arima is the premiere teen actor. She's a pro, she downgrades her acting to make a successful production instead of acting to her limit to the point of making the rest of the mediocre cast look even worse, and she facilitates and smooths out collective egos and personalities on a working set. She would be a joy to work with on any production, good or bad. She has clearly developed a lot of techniques and professional philosophies that make her successful on her own to the point she went freelance.

But...she's horrible at personal management. She's getting abused by the producers in fulfilling filmset roles they're supposed to be doing. She's not putting her all into performance to challenge others to match her. She's being underpaid. And she eats horribly at her dank and depressing home life. She's managing herself, so that also means she's really just taking any job instead of pushing for the great roles, like Japan's promotion-heavy industry works. She's probably getting other roles stolen from her by worse actors. She implied her mother used to do the same to her superior-actor competitors when she was younger, because that's the way Japan's industry does work.

She said her parents retired to the country. But that sounded like a lie. Did they take a good chunk of her trust fund money? Did they separate so they wouldn't have to interact?

Death BOO Z
Wed, 05-03-2023, 02:17 PM
episode 4.
I liked how Arima's inner voice sounded, and there was some difference between the good and "bad" acting. the knife licking was a bit too much.

School ruby was kind of funny.

Kraco
Wed, 05-03-2023, 04:14 PM
Yeah, Aqua having been a physician with a career in his previous life, how could he possibly be too afraid or embarrassed to approach some high school students to talk to them. Of course he already has kind of a career in this life as well, even if it's just a cover for his investigations. But the fact it's a cover for him to be able to hunt for the biological father would only make him bolder. Ruby might actually already be a minor, rank-and-file idol if Aqua hadn't kept stopping her, so that whole scene was a little bit unfair.

One ruthless thing about the episode was Aqua acting the role of a stalker attempting to stab a girl. That hits pretty close to home, huh.

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-03-2023, 05:21 PM
I like when Ruby is particular blunt with how socially awkward Aqua is. She cuts right to the bone when she does, and they end up having a nice back and forth tease going on that feels like siblings.

At least in some ways, it does show that they've grown closer with each other and consider each other family, even though as far as we know, they've never shared their former identities with each other.

They have their secrets, but care for each other nicely.

It's also funny that Aqua keeps getting work while not wanting any, but Ruby needs time to launch her career.

Kraco
Thu, 05-04-2023, 05:32 AM
I like when Ruby is particular blunt with how socially awkward Aqua is. She cuts right to the bone when she does, and they end up having a nice back and forth tease going on that feels like siblings.

Ruby herself is plenty socially awkward, due to her nature of wanting to worship the ground a little bit famous people walked on.

David75
Thu, 05-04-2023, 12:16 PM
weak idea: Ai's lover (father to Ruby and Aqua) is related to Sarina.
Why, just a hunch, for some reason Sarina felt like she had a complexion of a blond haired girl.
That could explain why Ai ended up in that clinic, Ai learned of the place/area from the father or connexions.
Related to Sarina: familly ? not mandatory, just a circle of friends or acquaintances but from the same origins is enough.
Again, just a weak idea.

Kraco
Thu, 05-04-2023, 01:31 PM
weak idea: Ai's lover (father to Ruby and Aqua) is related to Sarina.
Why, just a hunch, for some reason Sarina felt like she had a complexion of a blond haired girl.
That could explain why Ai ended up in that clinic, Ai learned of the place/area from the father or connexions.
Related to Sarina: familly ? not mandatory, just a circle of friends or acquaintances but from the same origins is enough.
Again, just a weak idea.

Yeah, at the end of the day, those two were quite random people. They were Ai's fans, but that's about it. Doc's death was related to Ai, but Sarina passed away earlier due to her illness. Of course if the villain in the shadows was Sarina's father, and thus a much older man, perhaps in some twisted manner the man might have had something against Ai, because Sarina was such a big fan. But yeah, I don't really see it. It could be something more complicated, but for the time being I expect it to be just some media mogul, who couldn't resist having sex with a rising idol, but later started to fear for his own reputation. The kind of man who would have attented Epstein's parties.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-04-2023, 06:48 PM
Yeah, at the end of the day, those two were quite random people. They were Ai's fans, but that's about it. Doc's death was related to Ai, but Sarina passed away earlier due to her illness.The other thing they have in common is the proximity of their deaths to wear the twins were born. It was all in/around the same hospital.

David75
Thu, 05-04-2023, 11:55 PM
Coincidences... Sarina has been a die hard fan from Ai's begining. Ai comes to that remote clinic.
I know, circumstantial evidence... weak signals.
I think that Sarina's character would've been as good if she loved other idols and her top was another one.

neflight86
Fri, 05-05-2023, 08:21 AM
2-4

Just caught up. I was afraid after the premier that this would nosedive into 'high school life' too much and take away the individuality of the show. Thankfully, I couldn't be more wrong. I have a near opposite reaction as Darth: I find this compelling, but I can't describe why. Yes, the mystery is and has been a "B" plot for the last three episodes, but there are no signs of it dropping off, and we do have some progress so far. The characters, Aqua in particular, are still carrying the show for me. His interactions are just... interesting, I guess.

I'm morbidly curious how his dating reality show will turn out, and the Arima arc was more insightful than I was expecting. Solid all around so far.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 05-05-2023, 10:14 AM
I have a near opposite reaction as Darth: I find this compelling, but I can't describe why.It's still a good show. It's just not what I wanted when I click on something "from the creator of Love Is War".

Kraco
Wed, 05-10-2023, 12:31 PM
Episode 5

- - - -

Aqua really got himself into a zero budget reality tv show. It seems like a pain mentally, but at least it hardly requires any preparation or practice. Too bad he doesn't really have any intention to be an actor. Anything helps to get his face and name out there, but it's wasted if he doesn't want to go out there, in TV and film projects. But who knows, perhaps he will hear some names as a reward that will force him to keep acting. If he ever landed a role in a hospital drama show, he would ace it, haha.

Ruby and Kana certainly needed to put in more effort than Aqua. I'm not sure if their intended audiences will have any overlapping whatsoever, but perhaps Pieyon's audience willl be able to tell those two really went all out and didn't try to take it easy. Nothing less would do since muscles never betray you.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 05-10-2023, 02:23 PM
I love how Yumi switched her voice mid sentence and started sounding more endearing.
most visually interesting shot was the pieyon training, I wish the silloutes were more distinctive.

I agree that it's not clear what "people on set" means, they were alone, one static camera and then he had to move it for the face reveal.

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-10-2023, 05:16 PM
It's kinda a huge deal when Aqua admitted inwardly that he wasn't lying that he thinks of Kana as cute. Guess you can't shake that first childhood crush.

The dude has frequently professed that his only love is Ai or sibling-style affection for Ruby, and Sarina before.

He's so manipulative and clinical about interacting with women (hence the getting stabbed at night comment from the three), it becomes really interesting that Kana and Aqua actually relax their public personas around each other. They just don't even attempt to lie, persuade, or seduce one another like most people do day to day. Kana is shown to be sweet, friendly, a bit of an airhead, and receptive towards others (even outside the profession), when her real personality is quite shrewd, calculating, and strategic, much like Aqua's own.

I guess Ruby wasn't wrong that Kana attracts creepy types of otaku...

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-11-2023, 12:36 AM
So...the star eyes are just, like, metaphorical, right?

Cause when a character says "Something about them reminds me of Ai...", I'm like, "Yeah, no shit. What could it be?"

Ryllharu
Thu, 05-11-2023, 05:35 AM
So...the star eyes are just, like, metaphorical, right?

Cause when a character says "Something about them reminds me of Ai...", I'm like, "Yeah, no shit. What could it be?"

Yes, metaphorical. Probably best way to equate it is the stars represent some level of inherent charisma and personal magnetism that Ai possessed. A "star power" or "stage presence" and an intense desire to be admired/loved, preferably on stage. Ai, Ruby, and Aqua are always going to be people that your attention will drift towards.

When it goes black, it's more like an inner fire. Not always murderous hate, but a will to crush someone. Using that natural charisma for negative means.

Ruby and Aqua are about half as inherently charismatic as Ai was (hence each one gets one), but still much moreso than most others.

Similar effect is Kana's galaxy within her pupil.

No supernatural powers behind it, just artistic license.

Kraco
Wed, 05-17-2023, 12:20 PM
Episode 6

- - - -- - --

This was like a lesson on what not to do online. It was kind of ironic because it was such a tiny, zero budget production, so at the end of the day, nobody would really care. It would have hardly changed anything if Akane wasn't so eager to keep delving into that scummy feedback. The only real problem was her agency, which probably isn't doing well financially and is thus too desperate to get everything out of its idols, to the point of using the idols in productions they were ill suited for. It's quite obvious Akane shouldn't have participated in that unscripted reality show. Every scene of her showed she's a person who needs to prepare and train well beforehand (which is why she's taking notes all the time). That's the opposite of what that reality TV production required. I imagine she's now fired from her agency. That, of course, allows her to be recruited by Saitou's company. It's pure karma that Aqua's the one getting all the girls to fill the ranks. After all, he's the one who stopped Ruby from joining other agencies out there.

Now that it's over, I wonder if Aqua really gets any usable information. I imagine not. It would be too soon. Or maybe he gets merely a hint that will take a whole lot of work and time to figure out.

David75
Wed, 05-17-2023, 01:03 PM
Aqua could use Akane but I wonder what value she has as an idol and if she's not just dead as an artist.
Ruby was a hard working talent unable to get to higher levels, so it was a good choice to get her because of her potential.
Akane is just a hard working, straight laced nice girl, we understand through flashbacks she has the passion and probably is good if working hard, but that might not be enough.
At least from what I got from watching that episode.

Kraco
Wed, 05-17-2023, 02:10 PM
Aqua could use Akane but I wonder what value she has as an idol and if she's not just dead as an artist.
Ruby was a hard working talent unable to get to higher levels, so it was a good choice to get her because of her potential.
Akane is just a hard working, straight laced nice girl, we understand through flashbacks she has the passion and probably is good if working hard, but that might not be enough.
At least from what I got from watching that episode.

I bet her lousy agency and manager simply couldn't put her to work that actually suits her, and train her in a way that would foster her talents. The new group at Strawberry Productions is, so far, a pair of people who haven't really got anything in common, and if Akane is included, it still won't have anything in common. It wasn't formed by seeking girls with a personality and skills for a certain kind of plan. So, to be successful it needs to operate in a way that uses the individual skills of those girls, even if their best skills are different. Not an easy job, but if Saitou has what it takes, it could work splendidly.

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-17-2023, 05:36 PM
Akane is strictly an actress. Mostly theater (and specifically not musicals), which isn't implied as well here as it is in the manga of these chapters.

It is interesting that Yuki, who is a model and self-admittedly is terrible at acting, is a natural for reality television, while Akane and Aqua, both actors by trade, are pretty shit at it. Yuki knows how to set up and stage events that the crew are eager to film, and propel herself into the spotlight.

Mem very readily took over the role of fluffy comedy relief and palate cleanser from the cloying romance the others are going with.

The quick cuts imply that this was considered a big break for Akane by her agency's management, but it was always a bad fit because of her preparation methods that Kraco noted.

As a note, if you weren't aware, this plot is based off a real-life incident: The series Terrace House and pro-wrestler Hana Kimura's suicide.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-18-2023, 12:23 AM
I wish more shows had banger EDs like this one, instead of doing bland songs...

David75
Thu, 05-18-2023, 12:33 AM
Great singer, very well written song and music combined with good and synchronised visuals, all of which perfectly tells the pitch of the show. That opening strikes many levels of greatness in 88 seconds.

I need to watch the ending too, for some reason I haven't been able to yet.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-18-2023, 12:40 AM
It does that thing where it's a banger, and the song plays over the last few seconds of the show before switching to the credits.

It's no Roundabout. But it get's you pumped for the next episode.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 05-18-2023, 11:00 AM
I like the ED, it's a layer of indirection, we watch Aqua watch the credits of his life, which emphasizes his distance from his life and emotions, and relates to AI and how she also felt lost in her lies and afraid of not being able to have genuine emotions.

neflight86
Thu, 05-18-2023, 04:14 PM
A.I may destroy humanity, but social media long before justified it.

Akane, liker her lack of presence suggests, snuck out of nowhere this episode to steal the central drama. I didn't even realize she was a main girl through the op or anything. Aqua was a bit serendipitous to catch her, wasn't he? He had shown roughly zero interest in her this whole time, but I guess was keeping tabs on her mental health? Did I miss something?

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-18-2023, 04:39 PM
Did I miss something?You did not. The show gave no indication that he was paying her any attention.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-18-2023, 06:42 PM
It was probably just anime protag luck stat. Reminds me of Kuzuma.

Kraco
Fri, 05-19-2023, 02:53 AM
I explained it to myself by guessing Aqua was also part of that PM group and kept reading the messages, including the one where Akane said she will be going out to get food in the middle of the rain/storm. If Aqua had previously used his detective skills to figure out where Akane lives, he could have potentially gone out to look for her by checking the nearest convenience stores. Otherwise it would certainly be pure main character luck, even if that bridge happened to be along Aqua's regular route to the director's home office.

neflight86
Fri, 05-19-2023, 06:48 AM
Okay, I know the story demanded that he save her so I'm not surprised by that, but Kraco's explanation fills the gaps well enough to satisfy me on a plausibility level.

David75
Fri, 05-19-2023, 09:56 AM
The narration was done by Aqua in fine detail about how she was falling deep into the flamepit. I was more wondering wether they'd let her die or have her rescued, I made the link with her short apparence in the OP, but was not sure which route they'd chose.
To me the show could work either way, since Ai was killed and we've had her full last moments.
So Akane's suicide used for the show was possible.
But Aqua saving her was also possible and better meshes with the idea Aqua should start to save lives, as he was a doctor but didn't save neither Sarina's, nor his own life. I can't blame him for Ai though.

MFauli
Fri, 05-19-2023, 02:04 PM
Aaand I'm caught up. Fwiw, the 9-score on MAL is nevertheless ridiculous, but it's fun to watch anime for sure.

My biggest fear since the twist of episode 1 is, however, that Aqua will not actually kill their father and that that piece of shit gets away thanks to some excuse. EVEN if he wasn't responsible for Ai's death, best case scenario is that he left his children knowingly alone for their entire lifetime. There's no non-bs answer that would make this okay. As much as I enjoyed watching these episodes, if the father gets away with it or even turns out to be a "nice" guy, it'd probably ruin the entire story for me. This asshole must pay.

As for episode 6, normally I'd be upset that a show wouldn't let a character die. It's the usual choice. However, her suicide was telegraphed so much that her being saved was actually the more surprising outcome, so I'm okay with it. And Aqua being the savior gave me chills, lol, dunno why.

And yeah, it's convenient how he found her and all, but I agree that you *can* find some explanation if you take into account Aqua's detective nature, so that's that.

Thx for the recommendation, guys.

David75
Fri, 05-19-2023, 02:57 PM
Oh, and Aqua being a stalker again... explains why he was there :-)

Kraco
Fri, 05-19-2023, 03:45 PM
My biggest fear since the twist of episode 1 is, however, that Aqua will not actually kill their father and that that piece of shit gets away thanks to some excuse.

I don't want the man to get away with it, but I most certainly don't want Aqua to kill him. What the heck. He would be a murderer after that. At least I see in the story a conscious attempt to make Aqua live this second life for real, not just for revenge. He's surrounded by people trying their best and working hard to succeed in their dreams, but Aqua himself is only living for the past and the dead. At least he's also working hard as a side effect, which is a big plus. I do want him to find the biological father, whether he's the culprit or not, but I also want the dude take his life seriously for his own sake. Becoming a couple with Kana would be a nice bonus.

Harrumph... It's always so difficult to use the name "Kana" to refer to anime characters. "Kana" means chicken in Finnish.

Ryllharu
Fri, 05-19-2023, 04:02 PM
He's surrounded by people trying their best and working hard to succeed in their dreams, but Aqua himself is only living for the past and the dead. At least he's also working hard as a side effect, which is a big plus. I do want him to find the biological father, whether he's the culprit or not, but I also want the dude take his life seriously for his own sake. Becoming a couple with Kana would be a nice bonus.This is the biggest difference between Aqua and Ruby at the moment.

She's moving forward and on with her new life, finally able to realize the dreams she was denied in the last one, while Aqua is tormented, mired in, and honestly held back by his revenge plot.

He's had tons of direct tutoring from a talented director, done loads of backstage work since he was an elementary schooler, but he has this isolating legitimately insane focus that's holding him back on everything else. He can't enjoy acting (even though Ai dreamed that he would). He sucks at making friends despite being good at making professional connections.

But it never seems like he enjoys himself...ever.

Maybe only when he's teasing 'Loli-senpai' with his sister.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 05-19-2023, 09:19 PM
I don't want the man to get away with it, but I most certainly don't want Aqua to kill him. What the heck. He would be a murderer after that.If he actually got Ai killed, I'd give it a pass.

If he's just a deadbeat dad, then that'd be...excessive.

She's moving forward and on with her new life, finally able to realize the dreams she was denied in the last one, while Aqua is tormented, mired in, and honestly held back by his revenge plot.To be fair, Ruby didn't have to watch Ai get brutally murdered.

MFauli
Fri, 05-19-2023, 11:57 PM
I don't want the man to get away with it, but I most certainly don't want Aqua to kill him. What the heck. He would be a murderer after that. At least I see in the story a conscious attempt to make Aqua live this second life for real, not just for revenge. He's surrounded by people trying their best and working hard to succeed in their dreams, but Aqua himself is only living for the past and the dead. At least he's also working hard as a side effect, which is a big plus. I do want him to find the biological father, whether he's the culprit or not, but I also want the dude take his life seriously for his own sake. Becoming a couple with Kana would be a nice bonus.

Harrumph... It's always so difficult to use the name "Kana" to refer to anime characters. "Kana" means chicken in Finnish.

From what I gathered after the first episode, Aqua was about to commit suicide when Ai died, but then the thought of avenging Ai came to his mind and now his entire raison d'etre is to kill the bastard father.

Whatever happens, I just don't want some saccharine "oh, the dad is a good guy after all"-twist, because no matter what, no he's not a good guy.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 05-21-2023, 01:24 AM
because no matter what, no he's not a good guy.No matter what? What if he didn't even know about the kids?

MFauli
Sun, 05-21-2023, 02:25 AM
No matter what? What if he didn't even know about the kids?

He did, though? She literally called him on the phone in one scene.

IF he didn't know, then Ai would be a dumb slut and it'd ruin the entire anime.

David75
Sun, 05-21-2023, 02:52 AM
Would that mean Aqua is using the wrong phone ? Oh, or just that the call history was so short the number was not there anymore.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 05-21-2023, 07:12 AM
He did, though? She literally called him on the phone in one scene.Oh right, I forgot about that.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-23-2023, 04:19 PM
Would that mean Aqua is using the wrong phone ? Oh, or just that the call history was so short the number was not there anymore.

We don't have direct evidence that she called him using that phone. We're presuming the dad's number resides in that phone, but what we saw was that she called a person about the kids using a public payphone. Aqua not finding the dad's number in that phone would not surprise me.

And Aqua being the savior gave me chills, lol, dunno why.

Because he's got his "Black Star" activated, meaning he's motivated by revenge right now for whatever reason. From the artistic cue, it's suggesting that his reason for saving her is not entirely altruistic.

And he found her because he's doing his "reading intent" thing. MEM and him were worried about her.

The ED's a banger. The OP has that discordant vibe to it, but the ED is what hypes me up for the next ep.

MFauli
Tue, 05-23-2023, 04:51 PM
Had the urge to rewatch the ending scene just now.

What makes it so impactful is that due to how this show started and isn't shy of killing characters, the expectation really was: Yeah, this Akane-girl is a random, unimportant side character, she will now die and this is gonna be a trigger event for the story so that other, more important characters can grow.
But then Aqua saves her. And suddenly, as if Neo came and changed the Matrix, EVERYTHING changes, because now Akane is not anyone, but someone. Her being saved came unexpected and gave life to a new, now important character. And it makes everything that's coming less predictable.

Really good writing on that part.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-24-2023, 10:57 AM
Episode 07

--------------------

Because he's got his "Black Star" activated, meaning he's motivated by revenge right now for whatever reason. From the artistic cue, it's suggesting that his reason for saving her is not entirely altruistic.

And I'm wrong again. It was just lighting/charisma at play.

"I'm... good at acting. I'll give it a shot."

Akane profiling Ai, then becoming her was scary as fuck. And professional. I'm going to struggle to see how this works on camera though since the audience has already seen a season of how she acts. Doing something so completely different can't be seen as natural or genuine. Faking authenticity is the whole idea of these shows.

edit: forgot to mention that wall..

https://i.imgur.com/FFHkUbs.jpg

Death BOO Z
Wed, 05-24-2023, 12:00 PM
that's a lot of chromo printer paper... can't be cheap to print out all the photos.

if Ai was an active idol, it would be easy to find magazines with her photos, but the library won't let her destroy stuff from 15 years ago...

neflight86
Wed, 05-24-2023, 12:44 PM
That ending scene was more hype than anything Demon Slayer has put out this season.

Akane is going to be a great addition, and her psyche-profiling gave us some good insight into Ai's life that I don't think we got a clear picture of before.

David75
Wed, 05-24-2023, 01:23 PM
I admit I had teary eyes when AI ressurected through Akane's acting.
Akane is now becoming useful. Her profiling is something Aqua might need to find his father.

Kraco
Wed, 05-24-2023, 02:41 PM
Damn, I couldn't even have imagined this kind of plot development. It was funnier because Aqua dismissed the whole idea of someone imitating Ai, yet was so shocked by the result. It's no wonder Akane has been called an excellent theater actor a couple of times now. She has the skills and dedication to really become someone else for a play, even if her own personality is just too nonexistent for a show. The way she analysed and researched Ai got some psycho vibes.

It's not necessarily a huge problem if she's quite different suddenly. After all, everybody knows she attempted suicide and was absent for an episode (or a few). The audience would rather have expected her to not come back at all or to come back with a visible difference, I'd say. Although I suppose a difference this huge might not have been expected.

I can't help but feel Kana was talking through the fourth wall a little bit by saying Akane not dropping out might not be good for Kana herself. If Akane captures Aqua's attention like nobody ever has, because of her Ai impersonation, Akane's existence next to Aqua ought to fade.

MFauli
Wed, 05-24-2023, 05:54 PM
Omg, that ending scene was so hype :D It was 99% predictable, but seeing it happen plus Aqua's reaction was priceless. Akane's investigation that went so deep that she actually got close to what happened to Ai for real was crazy, haha. I really hope she joins their idol group. Can't wait to see more of her. I also wonder if there's a downside to her Ai-mode, like, maybe she can only hold it for a short time or so, because otherwise Ruby is screwed, lol.

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-24-2023, 07:50 PM
It's no wonder Akane has been called an excellent theater actor a couple of times now. She has the skills and dedication to really become someone else for a play, even if her own personality is just too nonexistent for a show. The way she analysed and researched Ai got some psycho vibes.
They've been setting it up for a while now, but it isn't nearly as nefarious or creepy as it looks.

Akane is a Method Actor.

She took exhaustive notes on literally everything all the time. She does psychoanalysis on Ai. She burns every experience she has into fuel for her acting in the future. She's following Strasberg.

On the other hand and remarkably someone who actually respects Akane when she is coerced into admitting it, Kana is very overt this episode and previous ones that she doesn't give a shit what anyone else thinks about her. But she pays a lot of attention to people around her. That's indicative of the Meisner Technique.

The series very methodically set up the pair as polar opposites in their respective techniques and approaches to the craft. Rivals in both acting styles and as women in a personal interest in Aqua.

It's easy to forget that the real veteran of the entire cast is Kana. She's been continually acting since she was very young. The others started later (Akane) or took breaks (Aqua). They all call her senpai because she is in every aspect of the entertainment world.

MEM-cho got to shine a little with her mastery of the internets, heh. Streamers aren't all looks if they want to really be popular. She knows her shit and she invests in her equipment.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-25-2023, 03:07 AM
I'm concerned now that Akane's skill at profiling is going to lead to her figuring out who Aqua's father is, and that's going to get her killed...

That ending scene was more hype than anything Demon Slayer has put out this season.I'm tellin' ya, it's the music drop!

Kraco
Thu, 05-25-2023, 04:19 AM
I'm concerned now that Akane's skill at profiling is going to lead to her figuring out who Aqua's father is, and that's going to get her killed...

That would certainly help Aqua to track down the man. It's already lucky to get away with a murder (even in Japan with its incompetent police force), but if you do it twice, it's better not to waste time on planning the future anymore. Technically the man didn't murder Ai, and I suppose he wouldn't directly murder Akane either, but with Akane he might need to become more involved. Ai was a bigger celebrity, plus the whole family thing was good fuel. Finding a suitable loser to kill Akane could be more difficult and thus more involved. The windbags attacking her online would be no good.

MFauli
Thu, 05-25-2023, 04:21 AM
Let's speculate together (only those who don't know the manga or otherwise, pls): What are possible excuses that would make the father of Aqua and Ruby NOT seem like a total asshole (and possibly murderer)?

Zinobi
Thu, 05-25-2023, 04:27 AM
goat anime. i hope aqua and ruby's dad get got ya feel me. ��
unless it wasn't him... i hope the killer gets got. yup.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-25-2023, 08:39 AM
What are possible excuses that would make the father of Aqua and Ruby NOT seem like a total asshole (and possibly murderer)?If he was somehow completely unaware that Ai was having his kids.

Otherwise, he is at best, a deadbeat dad. At worst, a conspiracy to commit murderer.

neflight86
Thu, 05-25-2023, 09:15 AM
Let's speculate together (only those who don't know the manga or otherwise, pls): What are possible excuses that would make the father of Aqua and Ruby NOT seem like a total asshole (and possibly murderer)?

Not many are viable. His interactions in the prologue were phone conversations that made him aware that Ai has kids and established he didn't really want anything to do with them. Maybe if he was in some shady dealings, in danger himself, and didn't want to drag her into it by being near, but that is a weak (and altogether too Jdrama) plotline to entertain seriously given what we've seen.

Good thing is that vigilante justice has a much lower burden of evidence.

Kraco
Thu, 05-25-2023, 10:03 AM
The father could be a married man and his wife is a yandere. So, the father might have just been super careful and thus not willing to meet the kids, lest the scary wife finds out. She found out anyway and arranged Ai's murder.

I don't really believe this theory to be it.

David75
Thu, 05-25-2023, 10:42 AM
Akane will probably be both a very good profiler/detective to help aqua, but also a very good bait if she can copycat Ai to genius levels.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 05-25-2023, 10:46 AM
why not something supernatural?

maybe the story Ruby told the presidents wife (current president, Miyako?) ends up being true and they really are birthed from the gods? and that's why they had to be reincarnated, because a union between a god and a mortal can't create new souls.

David75
Thu, 05-25-2023, 11:33 AM
It's true that Sarina and that Doc reincarnated as Ruby and Aqua... and being able to hold a high level discussion at 2 or 3 years of age is already un natural.
But somehow they've kept the supernatural limited to just that, some arm twisting for the pitch and keep a shorter timeframe for the story.
They could totally use that card again, but it doesn't feel like they will. That would be a shame if they did because almost every character with some developpement already feels OP.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-25-2023, 12:19 PM
It was used as a gag pretty much and now the wife has adapted. It doesn't seem like she cares anymore about dating hot guys.

MFauli
Thu, 05-25-2023, 12:59 PM
- if the father was married already, he's cheating scum
- if Ai got pregnant by a god and died because such union is deadly, the god is scum
- if the father was in danger himself, Ai probably wouldn't have had his number, plus he sounded grumpy on the phone, not "I'm in danger"
- if contact would put Ai and the children in danger: still, why the grumpy phone reply, and also, come on. You cannot claim to care about your family when you NEVER see them in 5+ years

I remain with my hope that there won't be any excuses and he gets what Aqua has coming for him. Whether it's death or prison, whatever.

Ryllharu
Thu, 05-25-2023, 03:48 PM
I'm not allowed to participate. :(

It was used as a gag pretty much and now the wife has adapted. It doesn't seem like she cares anymore about dating hot guys.

Miyako is the unsung hero of the series imo.

She loves the two wholeheartedly.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-25-2023, 06:39 PM
The father could be a married man and his wife is a yandere. So, the father might have just been super careful and thus not willing to meet the kids, lest the scary wife finds out.That would still mean the guy cheated on his wife with a teenager. Which would make him still a total asshole.

It's true that Sarina and that Doc reincarnated as Ruby and Aqua... and being able to hold a high level discussion at 2 or 3 years of age is already un natural.
But somehow they've kept the supernatural limited to just that, some arm twisting for the pitch and keep a shorter timeframe for the story.I'm honestly surprised that the fact that Aqua is a fully-trained doctor hasn't been used more. You'd think that would have uses.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-25-2023, 06:42 PM
Edit: Doublepost

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-26-2023, 04:49 AM
I can tell you that doctor knowledge in real life wouldn't help much if I decided to be an actor right now (medical drama aside). It'd help me with STEM subjects, but that's about it. Maybe I could call out someone's bullshit when they try to scam me with healthcare stuff, do basic life support or deliver a child when no one else is comfortable, but I can't see it being useful when people don't come to me for an examination or when I can't order tests / medications aside from the above.

For example, when Ai was stabbed all Aqua could do was go "GG".

I did wonder initially whether the kids were the producer's since they're blonde and Ai is not, but it has to be some other blonde guy for all the events to make sense. Producer's leaving after Ai's death looked a little suspicious but I think it was just for the sake of having Miyako and the children form a family unit with Aqua being the primary male of the household.

MFauli
Fri, 05-26-2023, 06:23 AM
I can tell you that doctor knowledge in real life wouldn't help much if I decided to be an actor right now (medical drama aside). It'd help me with STEM subjects, but that's about it. Maybe I could call out someone's bullshit when they try to scam me with healthcare stuff, do basic life support or deliver a child when no one else is comfortable, but I can't see it being useful when people don't come to me for an examination or when I can't order tests / medications aside from the above.

For example, when Ai was stabbed all Aqua could do was go "GG".

I did wonder initially whether the kids were the producer's since they're blonde and Ai is not, but it has to be some other blonde guy for all the events to make sense. Producer's leaving after Ai's death looked a little suspicious but I think it was just for the sake of having Miyako and the children form a family unit with Aqua being the primary male of the household.

"Being a doctor irl is useless in everyday life" is oe of the weirder takes I read on this forum. ;>

Death BOO Z
Fri, 05-26-2023, 06:37 AM
I think him being an adult did actually help with Akane, probably made him more aware of how life can be seen for teenagers and how social media works. maybe also being a doctor helped, but I argue it's more that he has life experience.

as for hair color, unless explicitly stated to be blond, I don't trust the colors I see. they all actually have black/brown Japanese hair, unless someone outright claims otherwise.

MFauli
Fri, 05-26-2023, 06:39 AM
Twist: They actually both dye their hair, because Ai did it to their babies because she found it cute, and they keep dying their hair out of habit ;>

Also to hide from their biological dad!!1

Kraco
Fri, 05-26-2023, 06:47 AM

We have already seen how it helps Aqua: He has the self-confidence, calmness, and maturity of a professional, despite being a teenager as far as anyone else can tell. Of course those traits could also come from many other professions+enough age, but a doctor is quite a good background for it, for various reasons, since it's about meeting people with troubles in their life, even up to death, and trying to solve those problems, with possibly high stakes. It does contain quite hard and advanced studying, as well. In my opinion this does show successfully in Aqua's behavior. If you compared that to Ruby, who died as a teenager, the difference is big. Of course this did lead to Aqua being mostly a creepy role child actor, and later he does consider his acting flexibility quite set in stone as well.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-26-2023, 08:26 AM
His calmness and everything is mostly to do with him being an adult who had a decent education, but not specifically about him having medical knowledge. Ruby's a kid who had an illness that meant she stayed in a hospital all day watching videos.

Aqua could have been an engineer, banker or a programmer at a firm prior to dying and it wouldn't have made a difference so far. Being an adult with a prior education helped Aqua. People skills in medical professionals are a bit of a hit or miss, even though we're technically taught it. (Even then it's basically "Listen to people" and "be empathetic")

neflight86
Fri, 05-26-2023, 01:32 PM
Aqua's biggest 'cheat skill' in his reincarnation is his seasoned professionalism and life experience combined with and tempering his cynicism paired with his outward experience; that specific combination is unforeseeable and catches everyone off guard so far. Kids don't talk like that, no matter how edgy they want to be.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-30-2023, 08:43 AM
Episode 8 is being delayed by a week. Sad news.

Kraco
Tue, 05-30-2023, 09:33 AM
Episode 8 is being delayed by a week. Sad news.

Damn, that's evil.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 05-30-2023, 01:16 PM
I'm surprised there haven't been at least 3 delays, since they opened with a 4x long episode.

MFauli
Wed, 05-31-2023, 03:11 PM
Anyone seen this episode 7.5?

Death BOO Z
Wed, 05-31-2023, 03:32 PM
skimmed through it.

a clipshow / plot summary with some "commentry" by the main duo voice actors.

I don't think it's worth the time.

Kraco
Wed, 05-31-2023, 03:35 PM
Anyone seen this episode 7.5?

I watched it with a lot of skipping. It's a recap with some superficial interviews with Ruby and Aqua's voice actors. The episode was obviously thrown together very quickly. If it had had a lot more interviews with all the essential VAs, it might be worth something, but as it is, I can hardly recommend it. A waste of time.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 05-31-2023, 04:02 PM
maybe they had to do some last minute editing and record new lines for episode 8?

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-31-2023, 06:18 PM
maybe they had to do some last minute editing and record new lines for episode 8?

Universal issues across the anime industry more like. There's more series than ever each season, and the industry as a whole is struggling to keep up. Recaps are back in a big way to allow for some flexibility in the schedules. Or still reeling from the occasional covid delay.

That said, if this was a normal series, we'd actually be at episode 10.5 as of last week, since we got an 85 minute episode "1".

shinta|hikari
Wed, 05-31-2023, 08:05 PM
What's the news on anime industry in general? Any risk of a downturn in quantity and/or quality any time soon?

Kraco
Thu, 06-01-2023, 12:43 AM
What's the news on anime industry in general? Any risk of a downturn in quantity and/or quality any time soon?

Anime industry could actually turn up the technical quality with generative AI, if they wanted to do it. VAs are famous (within the fandom), so it could be risky to try to replace them, apart from some single line background characters, but it would help a whole lot with the graphical side of the work, I reckon. Maybe they are already doing it.

Ryllharu
Thu, 06-01-2023, 05:10 PM
They could probably cut out the in-betweeners with AI, but that also kills their pool of potential future key frame animators.

The abomination that Corridor attempted to shill saying they "made their own anime with AI" when they were actually overlaying live action shots with shitty anime AI filters makes enough of a point that it is a shit idea. There's plenty of funny AI Anime memes out there, but the anime industry should be smart enough not to squeeze out their future workforce.

Topics like this are things that Oshi no Ko likes to cover, but we'll see if they ever do.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 06-01-2023, 05:46 PM
AI is far too immature for the uses a lot of people imagine for it. Eventually we will get there, but not just yet.

Kraco
Fri, 06-02-2023, 12:58 AM
AI is far too immature for the uses a lot of people imagine for it. Eventually we will get there, but not just yet.

From the current point of view, automotive and mass production technologies were far too immature when Ford launched his factory, but somehow he still made history and changed the transportation world.

I don't know if you have been browsing imageboards of late, but AI generated anime style images are getting quite convincing. They would be very convincing in anime where the quality requirements aren't as high as in individual drawings. It would, potentially, allow lower budget shows to have decent action scenes, instead of the typical ones where all the opponents are "politely" standing still until the hero has beaten all of them. That being said, I do see Ryll's point as well, but in a budget-constrained world, you might not have a choice.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 06-02-2023, 03:15 AM
.... It would, potentially, allow lower budget shows to have decent action scenes, instead of the typical ones where all the opponents are "politely" standing still until the hero has beaten all of them.

I'm not sure it's a bad thing.
it also happens in dialogs (in [oshi no ko]) and it's a bit jarring that all the other characters freeze when someone is talking.

but it might be a good thing. or at least better than the alternative.

if the other characters moved during the dialogs, it would just be distracting, imagine them visibly breathing, what's the point? it doesn't add anything to the story, it's bussiwork for nothing. if there was a point to show the other characters reacting to it, the storyboard would have included a reaction shot.

same thing with fight scenes, the goal shouldn't be realism, it should be telling us something (or showing use something cool), so if the actions of the other opponents isn't relevant to that, then it's not worth the effort animating them - the active parts of the picture tells us what's important to look at, more actions is sometimes just a visual mess.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-02-2023, 04:28 AM
AI pictures need a fair bit of checking currently. I've seen pics of people with extra boobs or legs that go nowhere etc.

Kraco
Fri, 06-02-2023, 05:11 AM
AI pictures need a fair bit of checking currently. I've seen pics of people with extra boobs or legs that go nowhere etc.

You see that even in traditionally animated cheap shows, haha.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-02-2023, 11:26 AM
I am very familiar with AI art and generative AI in general. The vast majority of people tend to overestimate what they can do partly because they don't understand how they work.

Ryllharu
Sat, 06-03-2023, 11:25 AM
The tech behind them also does not replace proper basic composition and basic scene framing skills.

EX-ARM's anime is a good example of when all the required skillsets aren't present.

The author of Oshi no Ko (Akasaka Aka) is pretty upfront that the artist of the series (Yokoyari Mengo) is the main influence on the end result each chapter. She's very good at the overall scene composition to the degree that it influences the story beats back.

Death BOO Z
Sat, 06-03-2023, 04:33 PM
the first AI anime will probably some slow life isekai jiggle fest.
- introduce loli,
- go outside to the planes
- have her frolick with fantasy nature
- picnic
- onsen

MFauli
Sat, 06-03-2023, 05:26 PM
Or the first AI anime will actually look better than all the dreck we get nowadays and leave a shock in the industry, lol.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-04-2023, 12:09 PM
AI supported artists? Great!

AI only writing and art? Incoherence.

MFauli
Wed, 06-07-2023, 11:37 AM
episode 8:

oh come on! I wanted them to date for real :( Wondering how quickly things proceed from here, only 3 episodes left. If Akane's investigation skills are supposed to come into play, there's not much time left. Next week should be about the meeting with that guy, I guess.

Adding Memo to the agency was a nice move, though. I'm not that fancy about her, but she grew on me and it'd be nice to keep her around.

David75
Wed, 06-07-2023, 11:40 AM
Episode 8:
Akane is confirmed as a genius profiling actor. So much so she clearly overpowers Aqua in profiling Ai.
Aqua clearly wants to use Akane's gift. I just wonder how he will do that. He can't just ask Akane for details/ideas/input to solve a very old murder... well even more edgy: to find a puppet master who manipulated the murder into doing it, twice since he also killed Aqua's former life.
It's possible we'll get more nuggets from that director and it will be easier to see paths Aqua could use.
For now I'm still a little worried Akane's Ai has excited the pupetter again...

Kraco
Wed, 06-07-2023, 12:52 PM
Hah, I thought Akane would be the one to join the agency, after Aqua saved her life, but I'm glad to be wrong. Akane has her own acting career, and it was more important for her to get over the whole incident, not use Aqua like some kind of crutch. Being frank about the relationship also works toward that goal.

As good as Akane's profiling and acting skills are, she couldn't possibly imagine Aqua would be Ai's child. It's quite funny to try to act like a guy's mother to seduce the guy. If Akane ever learns the truth, she might feel embarrassed enough to label it as her dark history.

I hope Kana happens to hear, as soon as possible, that Aqua going out with Akane is a work relationship.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 06-07-2023, 01:06 PM
wait, three episodes left? that seems a bit too few.

(plus, I think the correct cutoff point for the season should be at around episode 15/16, depending on how they pace the story)

I liked how Arima is one the "I don't watch reality shows and need everyone to know about it" people.

Ryllharu
Wed, 06-07-2023, 07:25 PM
Kana is best girl for Aqua (Miyako is still Best Girl overall).

I hope Kana happens to hear, as soon as possible, that Aqua going out with Akane is a work relationship.

If she was a little bit smarter in terms of relationships, Kana would realize that Aqua basically confessed to her on their mini-date playing catch. Kana is the only girl he feels actually comfortable with. He's not friendzoning her, he outright told her she's the one he actually trusts with his true feelings. Yuki or Ruby would probably recognize it instantly if they witnessed it. She playfully teased back about the preference for older girls than him comment, but I'm pretty sure he was serious, and I don't think he was referring to Ai. He looks to the girls in his class as potential friends for Ruby, with his dispassionate eye. But he pays attention to Kana. Kana is a pessimist and misinterprets their entire little date.

Sure he gets flustered around Akane, but he also has no idea what kind of relationship he ultimately had with Ai. He was a fan, then he was her son. Was it ever a romantic longing? Did his time as her son kill the psudeo-romantic vibe fans have with idols? Did he develop an Oedipus Complex? He gets mixed up seeing Akane do the Ai-act that Akane thinks he likes, but that's because he's never fully settled on what his relationship with Ai was, he never got the closure either.

But he never really relaxes around Akane, even if that's what she desires back from him. He always does and always has relaxed around Kana.

Lastly, why would Aqua even go on a skip-school date with Kana before immediately getting into a professional fake marketing relationship? Could be that he wants his first date to be a real one, and his line at the end of the scene all but confirms it.

The whole mini-date was a test to confirm that he isn't attracted to Akane that way...well, you can't test against one thing without a genuine control sample.

neflight86
Wed, 06-07-2023, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the breakdown. Most of the subtext surrounding skipping school flew right over my head.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 06-08-2023, 01:06 AM
Hah, I thought Akane would be the one to join the agencyDidn't watch the OP very closely then huh? :p

Kraco
Thu, 06-08-2023, 02:03 AM
Didn't watch the OP very closely then huh? :p

Yeah, you could say I skip the OP quite closely.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-08-2023, 07:00 AM
Didn't watch the OP very closely then huh? :p

I watched it but it still didn't register.

What I did notice was that they translated the lyrics for episode 7, but just went with Romanji for episode 8, and it looks weird.

I'm glad the relationship turned out how it did. Akane having Aqua fall for her face persona won't have any healthy results.

MFauli
Thu, 06-08-2023, 08:24 AM
Aqua could at least bang her a bit, come on :(

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-08-2023, 09:39 AM
While Aqua worked out that he didn't have romantic feelings for Akane (while using Kana as a comparison), he didn't actually confirm his feelings about Ai.

And as great a profiler as Akane is, it still visibly hurt her to hear him decline her out loud. :(

The author of Oshi no Ko (Akasaka Aka) is pretty upfront that the artist of the series (Yokoyari Mengo) is the main influence on the end result each chapter. She's very good at the overall scene composition to the degree that it influences the story beats back.

Dude I was wondering why this show's character designs looked familiar. It's Kuzu no Honkai's (https://myanimelist.net/manga/44929/Kuzu_no_Honkai) artist.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 06-14-2023, 11:53 AM
episode 9.

weird scene with Mem looking at the computer with her reflection in the background. there's also some trivia about the book arima is reading, with it being about a slug who was named after the concept of a computer network (the internet). 40,000 yen is about 300~ us dollars, which is really expensive. Kana's song looks like it was used as an ED for an anime. also about Kana - her hair is colored more strongly in the bottom, so it seems like she's depressed.

Kraco
Wed, 06-14-2023, 12:38 PM
Aside from judging her singel skills too harshly, I reckon Kana was mostly correct, as far as the professional side goes. She might be suffering from the Mark Hamill disease: No matter what she's been doing since, she will forever remain a child actor, but since she's no longer a child, she's history. Hamill was known for a single role and never really could get over it in his career. It's a rather common nightmare for young actors, so I don't see why it couldn't work like this for Kana as well. That being said, I suppose she's being extra harsh because of what happened with Aqua. Aqua doesn't seem to understand it, which makes things even more awkward for Kana.

It turns out the producer didn't know all that much. He might be onto something with the theater group, but it's obviously not what he thinks. Ai never fell in love with anyone, so perhaps the theater merely made Ai realise that she could pretend to be everything she isn't, make her life a theater play. Thus her copulation partner doesn't need to have anything to do with Lala Lai. It could, though, if it had happened to be convenient for her.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-14-2023, 03:25 PM
there's also some trivia about the book arima is reading, with it being about a slug who was named after the concept of a computer network (the internet).

I don't know the trivia, but when I checked that scene I realised that Aqua was reading the same book on that bench at school.

Kana's song looks like it was used as an ED for an anime.

When it was played I expected it to be the stand-in ED for this episode actually.

That bigshot girl mentioned eyecandy and all, and the eyecandy this episode was definitely Kana's waki.

Ryllharu
Wed, 06-14-2023, 07:56 PM
Kana is bitter and hard on herself because of the dark period in her career, but she's very obviously a prolific generalist.

Since her released singles are in the karaoke catalog and span quite a number of years, even recent, she spent time attempting to break out of her acting rut with music and obviously enjoyed it.

As much as she gripes about it, being in B Komachi is a dream for her, and certainly a chance to reset her career and springboard back into acting at a later date.

MEM is a big win for them as well, since she has considerable self-promotion experience. MEM deserves a lot of respect for putting both her brothers into college.

Ruby even tried to tell Kana that Aqua complements girls extremely rarely, and correctly determined that his 'attraction' towards Akane is probably due to her imitation of Ai and little else. Ruby knows her brother by now. His weird obsession with Ai doesn't map over to Kana in any aspect whatsoever. Aqua's attitudes toward Kana are unique and come from a place of sincerity.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-15-2023, 12:53 AM
I tried to figure out the similarities between Kana and MEM, since Ruby put them into the "type of girls my brother likes", based on the fact that he invited them to joint B Komachi. Appearance aside (short hair), I only got as far as that they're somewhat insightful and not ditzes or overly naive and girly.

MFauli
Thu, 06-15-2023, 03:23 AM
I'm not sure I understand the whole "who will be center" discussion. Doesn't Ruby HAVE TO be it? She wanted to be the new super star in the vein of her mother and idol. I never entertained anyone else but her. If she's just a side-girl within the new B Komachi, then how she's gonna achieve her goal?

I tried to figure out the similarities between Kana and MEM, since Ruby put them into the "type of girls my brother likes", based on the fact that he invited them to joint B Komachi. Appearance aside (short hair), I only got as far as that they're somewhat insightful and not ditzes or overly naive and girly.

Similarity: They all know what failure/defeat is. (plus, they're hot, lol)

Kraco
Thu, 06-15-2023, 07:30 AM
I'm not sure I understand the whole "who will be center" discussion. Doesn't Ruby HAVE TO be it? She wanted to be the new super star in the vein of her mother and idol. I never entertained anyone else but her. If she's just a side-girl within the new B Komachi, then how she's gonna achieve her goal?

It's not like she can tell the other two that only she can be the center piece. Of course now Kana said she's not interested, but Ruby is actually a pretty idealisic, naive girl, so it might be difficult for her to give her all as the main idol of the group if she knows Kana is actually much better and more deserving. MEM, however, is as serious as Ruby is, so she can't simply be pushed aside. They didn't join to merely become Ruby's helpers or sidekicks. If Ruby wants to be the main girl, she needs to beat and convince the other two.

neflight86
Thu, 06-15-2023, 08:50 AM
Love how they handled the 'center' discussion and reveal. A cynical and frustrating girl, indeed.

The deadpan delivery of the prestigious girl was a welcome surprise, and I'm glad it won't be the last we see of her. It's too bad Kana doesn't see the forest for the trees when it comes to Aqua, but I suppose part of being in love is letting your emotions cloud your rational judgement to a degree.

It turns out the producer didn't know all that much. He might be onto something with the theater group, but it's obviously not what he thinks.

Why do you think that? Is it because of the timing? She may not have conceived until after leaving the place, but she still could have met someone there, I think.

Kraco
Thu, 06-15-2023, 12:42 PM
Why do you think that? Is it because of the timing? She may not have conceived until after leaving the place, but she still could have met someone there, I think.

He said Ai fell in love in the theater group. We know she didn't recognise the emotion of love until the moment she was bleeding to death. So, the producer is assuming there must be such a significant person somewhere out there, but we know Ai just needed someone to inseminate her. Of course there could have, potentially, been a little more to it than that, such as trying to judge whether the man was at all trustworthy, but there was no love since she was incapable of it.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-15-2023, 12:48 PM
Before the reality show started, the producer said he knew Ai was seeing a guy behind her production company's back. "Know" and "presume to know" are different things I suppose, but that's what he's getting at anyway.

While I don't think Akane is a good partner for Aqua, I do like her overall and I'm glad this gives a reason for Aqua to actually mix into her circle instead of just asking her to profile Ai.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 06-16-2023, 01:51 AM
I'm not sure I understand the whole "who will be center" discussion. Doesn't Ruby HAVE TO be it? She wanted to be the new super star in the vein of her mother and idol. I never entertained anyone else but her. If she's just a side-girl within the new B Komachi, then how she's gonna achieve her goal?From a narrative perspective, obviously, she's the main character, she should be the lead.

But from a logical perspective...if she's not a good singer, it wouldn't make sense for her to be the lead.

Ryllharu
Fri, 06-16-2023, 03:49 AM

The center is obviously the most critical to a idol group's success. Especially in the huge groups, the center actually has to be talented, while the others can be merely eye candy and get maybe one real line in a given song.

If a group's center sucks at something (e.g. Ruby and singing), then they won't obtain or retain any fans because they don't have any talent. They're just pretty girls bouncing around on stage. They won't have any longevity. So their center needs to be the best in the group at singing, dancing, and interacting with the audience while they're on stage to maximize their engagement.

B Komachi is a small enough group that the center doesn't overshadow the rest of the group, so it's not like Ruby won't get focus time. Ai was a good example of someone so domineering in her stage presence that the other members of B Komachi aren't named at all. Like the enormous idol groups, they don't matter and often rotate out. The revived B Komachi is a bit more equal.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 06-16-2023, 05:42 AM
He might still be hiding stuff. he probably didn't lie and told the truth about the theater time, but it's possible that he has suspicions or thoughts that he kept to himself. maybe he talked to Ai over the phone and heard something. saying that Ai was involved in the theater is possibly industry knowledge so he doesn't mind sharing it, but if he and Ai talked in private outside of work, then that's much more sensitive information, and he'd only share it with someone he trusts and for business advantage.

edit:
Aqua's type:
- hot/cute
- hiding a sharp tongue / vicious personality
- failed at least once and got back up.

this covers Kana, Mem, but also Akane and Ruby.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-21-2023, 12:03 PM
Episode 10

-------------------

lol, are the subs trolling or something? One week they go with OP/ED translations and the other week they'll go with romanji. I didn't think Aqua had that much stamina to do Pieyon's workouts.

I didn't expect Ruby to actually love her doctor. Interesting dynamics. I don't see a love triangle starting here though, since they're already family now.

Kraco
Wed, 06-21-2023, 02:40 PM
I didn't think Aqua had that much stamina to do Pieyon's workouts.

He didn't really need to do Pieyon's real workout, he just needed to last as long as the girls. Since he's a fit guy, I don't see how it would be a problem: Men are naturally stronger than women, after all.

It's funny that during this ep I started to think Pieyon must be Aqua, but I couldn't figure out how the dude could possibly have time for that. It's Pieyon's full career (or at least a significant side job), so there's no way Aqua would have all that time available, even if he could use the money. The answer was quite obvious, naturally, when it was revealed.

I can't say awfully lot would have happened in this episode, but it did build those girls' characters, especially Kana's. It was also a good step in fixing Kana and Aqua's relationship, hopefully.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 06-21-2023, 04:13 PM
1. Aqua looked really buff when first exiting to the balcony.
2. Kana wears a shirt with 'baking soda" written on it, I guess it's a nod to how Ruby kept calling her "girl who'll drink baking soda" all the time.
3. a lot of weird scenes with mirrors, but it doesn't seems to have any meaning to the situation. and the one time that it would make sense they didn't have it (aqua should have been watching Kana through the mirror when talking to piyon)
4. background shift for the dramatic dialog with Ruby and Kana. it suddenly looks like an airport.
5. Ruby was 12, the doctor was the only "youngish" man she knew, her only options were either even older doctors (who were less likely to entertain her weird behavior) or sick patients (young and old).
6. Piyon's audience is elementary school children (same as the audience for Kana's bell pepper workout), it's supposed to be "a healthy level of exercise", and he doesn't need to do it with them everyday.
7. Miyako most likely knew it was aqua, she knows that he likes to wear disguises (when he "scouted" the girl from the group ruby was about to join). she thinks there is something wrong with him.
8. I remembered a thing I heard in some anime, they said there that unrequired lovers are reborn as twins. am I remembering this correctly? is this odd?

Also, remember the early 2000s? we would get karaoke OP with kanji, English and romanji so we could sing along. that was the best times.

MFauli
Wed, 06-21-2023, 05:55 PM
I like to imagine that Aqua was on the verge of death while running together with the girls, wearing that sweaty costume :D

There's gonna be another season, right? No way we'll have a concert performance AND Aqua resolving the Ai-murder case next week.

One slight bummer: When Arima turned towards the camera at the very end, I had hoped that she got "special eyes", too. Not necessarily the same shape as Ai's and her children, but something that emphasized how ready she is now.

neflight86
Thu, 06-22-2023, 09:00 AM
It's funny that during this ep I started to think Pieyon must be Aqua, but I couldn't figure out how the dude could possibly have time for that. It's Pieyon's full career (or at least a significant side job), so there's no way Aqua would have all that time available, even if he could use the money. The answer was quite obvious, naturally, when it was revealed.

Same. A good fake out that held my attention, was novel, and its answer 'fell into place' in hindsight.

I'm surprised Mrs. Owner never made moves on Piyon, as he should be just her type, going by ep 1. Maybe he's already married?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-22-2023, 09:38 AM
1. Aqua looked really buff when first exiting to the balcony.

I thought he was deliberately puffing out his chest, but otherwise appeared slim elsewhere (arms etc).

David75
Thu, 06-22-2023, 01:00 PM
I don't remember Piyeon wearing a jersey, but rather showing all of his body bar his head.
That was my first surprise/doubt.

Ryllharu
Sat, 06-24-2023, 06:26 PM
There's gonna be another season, right? No way we'll have a concert performance AND Aqua resolving the Ai-murder case next week.

One slight bummer: When Arima turned towards the camera at the very end, I had hoped that she got "special eyes", too. Not necessarily the same shape as Ai's and her children, but something that emphasized how ready she is now.
The manga is quite a bit further along, and I'll just say that even a 3rd season wouldn't resolve the revenge plot.

Kana has always had special eyes too, just different from the stars. More like an entire galaxy set within her pupils when she's in her element (acting).

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-28-2023, 10:57 AM
Episode 11

----------------

Good finale. Not blood pumping, but enjoyable and had an appropriate level of closure for stuff we've been exposed to so far
--Kana's stumps and motivations.
--MEM's aspirations.
--Ruby/Aqua getting into the industry and their various motivations for doing so.

Aqua wielding the sticks was a good throwback to when he and Ruby did it at Ai's concert. Pro level moves.

Nice fakeout with the sticks too. There were white in the audience. Kana just couldn't see it through her low self esteem.

Glad to see Kana being happy again after all this. Mitsuki's assist there was noted.

I find Akane quite earnest and sweet, so while I liked seeing her around I did feel bad that she's never going to make it with Aqua (I guess it's a consenting work relationship now and no one's expecting any different). That was all until I saw that she can get (just a little) bitchy with Kana. Now I'm just grabbing the popcorn for season 2.

MFauli
Wed, 06-28-2023, 11:05 AM
One of the worst season finales I've ever seen. Not even a cliffhanger. Just ending the episode like it's a mid-season episode and now we have to hope and wait for another season that might not be coming for over a year. Sucks :/

PS: Akane > Arima

Kraco
Wed, 06-28-2023, 01:10 PM
I didn't expect such a history between Akane and Kana. It would be quite a blow to Akane if Aqua actually started going out with Kana for real, after Akane's own relationship with Aqua turned out to mean nothing romantic for Aqua. Since I supported the baking soda girl as soon as she reappeared, I don't have particular sympathies for Akane, as far as her romantic aspirations go, but due to that historical complication, I do feel a bit bad for her.

That was a pretty good start for the idol group, with Kana finally mentally getting into it being one of the most important details. More experienced idol otaku already could see through her lack of personal motivation during the first song, but likewise could also detect her change. She would have hurt the other two's success as well if she had remained uninspired. Aqua really knew what he was doing.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 06-28-2023, 01:34 PM
the concert animation was gangbusters, completely rock, should have been the OP.

1. another weird mirror scene, why is it like that?
2. the old man idol fan said the exact thing ruby said about Kana having a face Otakus love.
3. those are really large trays of food for the two producers, aren't people supposed to opposite of each other? why the diagonal?
4. waste 1: they should have followed up on the idol who went to see their show, it would have filled up two more minutes
5. a bit anti-climactic, the concert ended and they have to rush to set up the next arc.
6. waste 2: ruby in the cemetery should have been the ending roll instead of credits, it has a good "book end" vibes and will resonate with another scene.
7. this is really a mid-season marking. not a season finale.

really looking forward for the next part!

MFauli
Wed, 06-28-2023, 02:05 PM
https://myanimelist.net/news/69439836

Alright, we'll get a 2nd season, so that makes me a bit more forgiving. Still, I hope it doesn't make a longer break than for one cour :/

Ryllharu
Wed, 06-28-2023, 06:44 PM
PS: Akane > Arima
gtfo.

They not even hiding it anymore that Kana and Aqua like each other, mutually and genuinely. Ruby knew it all along. Best Ditz MEM finally figured it out. Miyako knew all along.

Kana is the only girl who can break Aqua's facade without creating an acted personality. Yes, yes, all people do it, but Kana has always shown him her true self and he's interested because of it.

Akane grew her hair back considerably in the time that she and Aqua haven't met. It's been months. MEM called it, Akane doesn't have much of a chance unless she really starts trying harder.

Akane is also very obviously the loser of their professional rivalry too. Didn't take much for Kana to put Akane into quivering rage. It's subtle, but Akane confirmed it too: Kana is also a better actor. This is coming from someone who most producers call a genius. Akane is considered by most in the business to be a much better stage actor than most of her peers, but Akane considers Kana to be the truly gifted one.

Kana just got screwed by the timing in recent years. Her big roles were when she was a child, and she got typecast. Then her mother and agencies abandoned her when the roles dried up. Akane confirmed that Kana didn't beat her by being pushed harder by Kana's old agency, but that Akane lost numerous times to Kana from talent. Akane got slotted into the theater troupe circuit and got to slowly hone her craft while Kana mired in what she could get as a freelancer.

What Akane is hinting at is that if Kana hadn't been tossed aside for being a child actor, Kana would probably be an untouchable top star. Kana may have gotten eclipsed in the past few years, but Akane is actually afraid of Kana while Kana is her normal arrogant self who hates to lose to anyone.

4. waste 1: they should have followed up on the idol who went to see their show, it would have filled up two more minutes
5. a bit anti-climactic, the concert ended and they have to rush to set up the next arc.
Huge waste. That's honestly one of my favorite one-shot arcs in the manga. Baffling to me that they would cut it despite mentioning Mana by name.

I'm shocked they dove right into the theater arc. It's such a slog.
(FYI for non-manga readers, it is 26+ chapters long, which ended up being almost longer than the previous teen Ruby/Aqua arcs combined and the later chapters coming with an apology/thanks to readers for being patient with how long it was running).
So, on the other hand, I'm also not surprised that they are already substantially compressing it down where they can.

MFauli
Wed, 06-28-2023, 07:07 PM
@Ryll: So basically you're saying Akane is the hard-worker while Kana is a genius. Yeah, I'll keep rooting for Akane <3

Fwiw, I'm not sure either of them will "win", because Aqua has such a clear, mono-thematic goal. Plus he seems to have a dumb morality where he's like "oh no, I'm actually much older, it's wrong to date a high school girl". Which is bs, ofc, but seems to get in the way.

I agree that Kana is at advantage for now, she has more genuine moments with Aqua. But surprisingly, the anime did NOT paint Akane as the definitive loser yet. They leave it open imo, and Akane, in line with her hard worker-attitude, has not yet even started to fight for Aqua's heart.

Points in her favor:
- can help him investigate the case
- can perfectly mimic Ai

Although the latter could easily backfire, ofc, because 1) an act is just an act, 2) Ai was Aqua's mother, oedipus much, 3) Aqua loves Ai as a fan, not with his dick, from what we've seen (gay).

So, yeah, Akane is at a huge disadvantge right now. But this anime has thrown us some curve balls and maybe we'll be surprised again.

Ryllharu
Wed, 06-28-2023, 07:16 PM
@Ryll: So basically you're saying Akane is the hard-worker while Kana is a genius. Yeah, I'll keep rooting for Akane <3
That's the theme of their professional rivalry, yes.

Next season will cover it.

edit: They also use opposing schools of acting, which has been hinted at this season.

Kraco
Thu, 06-29-2023, 12:39 AM

How is Kana not a hard worker if she was tossed aside by the agent and started to, basically, be her own agent by fighting tooth and nail to get any relevant jobs, even if they seemed to be against her personality or were demeaning (like that live action adaptation, where not even the director was expecting any real acting from the actors, because most of the cast weren't, in fact, actors and had no interest in acting). Meanwhile Akane has indeed worked hard as well, but pretty safely by following the professionals' instructions and guidance. When she finally encountered a situation, which was just like a regular day for Kana, as used as she is for shitty jobs, it almost drove Akane to a suicide.

Kana might have been a genius child actor, as far as very young child actors go, but afterwards she has achieved her (limited) success with hard work. Not to mention her genius days were also crushed quite early when she ancountered Aqua. That was the moment she stopped believing in her own genius.

neflight86
Thu, 06-29-2023, 03:37 PM
The cold stop caught me off guard, especially if there was some more fitting padding, like material mentioned in previous posts that could have been more interesting than a recap/aqua mission statement.

That said, bravo! This officially has me enraptured with these characters and I'm stoked to see where this goes. Glad for confirmation of a second season so soon. Will be watching.