PDA

View Full Version : Reincarnated as a Sword (TV)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-28-2022, 02:55 PM
https://i.imgur.com/KFYJpoi.jpg

Alternative Title:
Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita (Japanese)
転生したら剣でした (Japanese)

Plot:
Reincarnated as a sentient weapon with memories of his past life, but not his name, a magical sword saves a young beastgirl from a life of slavery. Fran, the cat-eared girl, becomes his wielder, and wants only to grow stronger, while the sword wants to know why he is here.

Tags: Fantasy, Isekai.

Links: Official (https://www.tenken-anime.com/), ANN (https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=24757), AniDB (https://anidb.net/anime/16785), MAL (https://myanimelist.net/anime/49891/Tensei_shitara_Ken_Deshita).

---------------------------------

Up to episode 4 now.

This show is very enjoyable. The sword is OP, but the growth comes from Fran, who is cute as fuck. The mentorship dynamic extends to the other cast as well. The whole pull of the show is just us watching Fran grow through the eyes of Teacher.

The music too is lit as hell. Very Fairy Tail-esque.

ED is cool. OP is more forgettable.

I don't get the scabbard gimmick. Teacher can use his telekinesis to self deploy regardless of whether the scabbard splits open.

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-28-2022, 03:31 PM
the growth comes from Fran, who is cute as fuck.
This.

I don't get the scabbard gimmick. Teacher can use his telekinesis to self deploy regardless of whether the scabbard splits open.
Because it looks cooler splitting open.

I like Fran's noble goals of wanting to get strong herself instead of only relying on Teacher. It's consistent with her ultimate goal of being the first black cat to evolve.

I was surprised by the depth of the lore they wedged in during episode 4. Very Delicious in Dungeon for their pantheon.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-28-2022, 11:54 PM
S'fine. Itsanother iseki.

Kraco
Sat, 10-29-2022, 02:00 AM
This is indeed a surprisingly enjoyable watch. It's pretty much 100% stock fantasy, but there are a few things easy to enjoy, for me personally: If you consider Fran the MC, then there's no harem, there are no slaves owned by the MC, the MC doesn't want to live an eternal slow life, the MC is very focused, and there's growth involved to get stronger, not instant OP from episode 1. Of course if you consider the sword the MC, then things are not that simple, but it's kind of hard to sympathise with a sword, so Fran it is for me. The sword is just a supporting secondary main character, despite being the primary point of view holder in the show.

Yeah, it doesn't hurt Fran is cute and her personality pretty adorable.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-29-2022, 02:11 AM
Fran has that loli enthusiasm. Her "Oooh" gives off Renge (Non Non Biyori) vibes, and her "Waku Waku" for adventures is similar to Anya's (Spy X Family).

Anya/Borf have a co-dependant relationship, and if you imagine Renge got isekai'ed and had to make her way home, while Candy Store got turned into a sword/encyclopedia, this would be it.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-29-2022, 07:57 AM
Episode 05

-----------------------

Cliffhanger occurred right after the demon used Skill Taker, but if he used it on Fran (who is merely sharing skills with Teacher), would it even work? I'm hoping it doesn't, and that that would the the crutch that allows Fran to beat an otherwise much higher demon than she'd be able to take on normally.

The flow of the battle was weird. Fran learned to be careful, but then they rush forward for curry. The demon had already acknowledged that he was weaker than her in sword skills but indulged her again anyway. I feel that if the hand swiping moment was meant to instill growth, it hasn't exactly worked.

Fran's "must push forward" mentality has gotten her off ground-zero, but she needs to keep herself alive.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-29-2022, 10:00 AM
I'm sticking with SubsPlease and the official Japanese release, instead of the Chinese early broadcast, so I'll be a week behind from now if Buff is gonna watch the early releases.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-29-2022, 12:03 PM
Did my previous post disappear, or did I forget to hit post?

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-29-2022, 12:15 PM
There's a post in the Chainsaw Man thread that is probably it.

Kraco
Sat, 10-29-2022, 12:32 PM
I'm sticking with SubsPlease and the official Japanese release, instead of the Chinese early broadcast, so I'll be a week behind from now if Buff is gonna watch the early releases.

Yeah, I'll also keep watching SubsPlease.

David75
Sat, 10-29-2022, 01:05 PM
Did my previous post disappear, or did I forget to hit post?

Yeah, you posted in the wrong thread and the answer is that subsplease download from a source that is late by a week compared to others.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-29-2022, 01:06 PM
Yeah, you posted in the wrong thread and the answer is that subsplease download from a source that is late by a week compared to others.

Kinda. BiliBili is a week ahead of Japan for some unconscionable contract reason.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-29-2022, 08:20 PM
There's a post in the Chainsaw Man thread that is probably it.Oh dear!

Kraco
Wed, 11-02-2022, 01:15 PM
Cliffhanger occurred right after the demon used Skill Taker, but if he used it on Fran (who is merely sharing skills with Teacher), would it even work? I'm hoping it doesn't, and that that would the the crutch that allows Fran to beat an otherwise much higher demon than she'd be able to take on normally.

The flow of the battle was weird. Fran learned to be careful, but then they rush forward for curry. The demon had already acknowledged that he was weaker than her in sword skills but indulged her again anyway. I feel that if the hand swiping moment was meant to instill growth, it hasn't exactly worked.

I'm trying to write the weirdness in the fight under "they both are noobs and arrogant", but it's kind of difficult. Why didn't they kill the goblin summoner first? It was a weakling thing that could have been one-shotted. Doesn't everyone know to try to remove the summoner first, only then try to fight the summoned beast, if at all possible? On the other hand, if a skill's name is Skill Taker, it shouldn't take a Sherlock, not even a Derrick, to figure out what the skill is going to do, most likely. But then again, it's Japanese, so I guess the kanji for "skill taker" could also mean "quacking duck", or whatever.

At the end of the day, Fran is still a kid, like those other adventurers noted, and the sword is too powerful for its own good: it grew arrogant, believing it can handle every situation with ease. Thus, when a surprisingly challenging situation occurs, it hasn't really got any experience, instincts, or mental faculties to deal with it.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 11-02-2022, 02:24 PM
At the end of the day, Fran is still a kid, like those other adventurers noted, and the sword is too powerful for its own good: it grew arrogant, believing it can handle every situation with ease.In fairness, he SHOULD have been able to in this situation. It's obviously unusual that this demon is so many classes higher than everything else in the dungeon, including the boss that summoned it.

And when the fight started going badly, he tried to get her to teleport out. But she's not havin' it.

Kraco
Wed, 11-09-2022, 01:11 PM
Episode 6

- - -- --

This was quite a good fight, all in all, if you ignore how it took ages for the Sword to notice that killing the summoner usually gets rid of the summoned creatures, even more so in this case where the summoner could only summon the demon due to being the dungeon master.

Quite convenient that they need a test subject for the skill taker, and then the next moment an obnoxious test subject appears on its own. Assuming that thing has any skills worth stealing.

David75
Wed, 11-09-2022, 01:53 PM
Episode 6 was last week... Episode 7 was some hours ago.

Maybe some gotwooters should try new sources :p

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-09-2022, 09:21 PM
Let me know if you guys start watching the latest sources. Otherwise I'm posting my impressions one week later.

I did feel sorry for the Demon. He was a pretty good sport all and all, but then we decided to take his summoner hostage. Yes he wanted to kill a town and thus he is morally bad etc.

Kraco
Thu, 11-10-2022, 01:47 AM
I did feel sorry for the Demon. He was a pretty good sport all and all, but then we decided to take his summoner hostage. Yes he wanted to kill a town and thus he is morally bad etc.

No need to feel sorry for him. If he had been desummoned by killing the summoner, then he might be miserable, but now he died like a real warrior because he died in combat, before the summoner. Sure, he was forced into a defensive position before that, to shield the goblin, but for most of the fight Fran had been in that position, under the demon's superior firepower, so it was nothing unfair.

Ryllharu
Thu, 11-10-2022, 04:08 PM
I'm just glad Fran got scolded for rushing ahead without the rest of the part and caused more of a danger to herself and everyone else for doing so. She deserved that.

As for the episode sources...no thanks. The translation on the early chinese broadcast is notably worse. I'm sticking with the Japanese air date.

Kraco
Thu, 11-10-2022, 04:33 PM
I'm just glad Fran got scolded for rushing ahead without the rest of the part and caused more of a danger to herself and everyone else for doing so. She deserved that.

Perhaps this once was fine, but not in the future. The other adventurers should have noticed earlier that Fran is a solo adventurer primarily interested in getting stronger on her own. The guild is not an army, so there shouldn't be such a strict command structure. If Fran risks herself, that's her own business, but I don't see how she would have been risking anyone else. If any noobs had got anywhere near the demon, they would have been instantly killed. Even a bit stronger adventurers would have likely suffered greatly. Fran probably saved folks by pushing forward on her own. The musclehead adventurer, who gave the lecture, was just too full of himself to care to see or think.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 11-10-2022, 04:41 PM
Same, translation of Japanese sources is already bad. I don't want to handicap myself by not watching the Japanese voices.

They scolded Fran... but if any of the others had been there, even Dondy, they would've died against the demon.

Ryllharu
Thu, 11-10-2022, 07:22 PM
They scolded Fran... but if any of the others had been there, even Dondy, they would've died against the demon.

The musclehead adventurer, who gave the lecture, was just too full of himself to care to see or think.

Donadrond is in the high level 30s. Fran went from Level 12 to 25 by clearing the dungeon. Donadrond would have been fine. It's also literally his job to prevent junior adventurers from getting over their heads and getting themselves killed prematurely.

Exactly what Fran appeared to be doing, and exactly what she did do in the fight, getting her hands hacked off in the process.

Since the others care about her, they rushed after her thinking she was pressing too far and would get herself killed, so they wanted to make sure she wasn't going too deep too quickly. In doing so, they also had to rush past the enemies she left alive because they didn't have useful skill crystals.

The audience and a dwarf blacksmith know she has a superpowered weapon looking after her, but nobody else does. They think she's a junior spellsword who just passed her adventuring exam and had barely proven herself an F-rank adventurer.

Fran and Teacher in their haste caused the others to rush after them, endangering the lives of the others as well as her own.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 11-10-2022, 08:43 PM
Donadrond is in the high level 30s. Fran went from Level 12 to 25 by clearing the dungeon. Donadrond would have been fine. It's also literally his job to prevent junior adventurers from getting over their heads and getting themselves killed prematurely.

Dondy is still a C class adventurer, while the demon is a B level threat. Remember that Fran, in her lower leveled state, beat Dondy quite handily, without even showing off most of the sword's powers. In contrast, she barely survived the demon even with the sword taking matters in its own "hands". I highly doubt Dondy would be okay against the demon even if his level is high. Levels aren't much without the stats and skills to match it.

While it is clearly his job to protect, none of them expected a B rank demon to show up in a goblin cave. The only thing I can see Dondy aiding with is forcing everyone to retreat.

Kraco
Fri, 11-11-2022, 02:56 AM

It's his job because he has made it his job. His very behavior revealed that explicitly. Fran doesn't give a damn about his job, nor does great many other adventurers, I bet. From Fran's pov, the dude is someone trying to hold her back and slow down her progress toward her dream. All she needs is the sword.

Exactly what Fran appeared to be doing, and exactly what she did do in the fight, getting her hands hacked off in the process.

It's her business. She's the kind of person who rushes forward and subjects herself to deadly dangers to grow stronger. She would be dead without Teacher, but she has it, so that's it.

Since the others care about her, they rushed after her thinking she was pressing too far and would get herself killed, so they wanted to make sure she wasn't going too deep too quickly. In doing so, they also had to rush past the enemies she left alive because they didn't have useful skill crystals.

They can be worried about her and push forward, but they should have advanced rapidly anyway, Fran or no Fran. The guild is a collection of independent entrepreneurs, who decide for themselves what they are doing. Sure, it's humane to try to look after someone, but at the end of the day, they are all responsible for themselves and have got no one but themselves to blame if they meet an unhappy ending.

The audience and a dwarf blacksmith know she has a superpowered weapon looking after her, but nobody else does. They think she's a junior spellsword who just passed her adventuring exam and had barely proven herself an F-rank adventurer.

They knew she had already earlier wiped out an army of goblins, alone, saving that group of adventurers she sent back to give the report, while Fran herself remained to slaughter the goblins.

Fran and Teacher in their haste caused the others to rush after them, endangering the lives of the others as well as her own.

It was their decision to make haste, to chase after Fran. They could have as well progressed normally, at whatever snail's pace was their plan, and leave Fran to deal with Fran's problems, since it was Fran who decided to leave everyone behind. That would have been the more responsible choice, but since they didn't do that, I reckon they didn't actually risk much, contrary to your estimation.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-11-2022, 03:17 AM
Same, translation of Japanese sources is already bad. I don't want to handicap myself by not watching the Japanese voices

They speak Japanese.

The subs are fine.

Seeing Fran early > slightly worse subs

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-11-2022, 03:29 AM
Donadrond is in the high level 30s. Fran went from Level 12 to 25 by clearing the dungeon. Donadrond would have been fine.Donadrond's level doesn't take into account Teacher's power. Teacher was killing C-rank monsters on his own, with no wielder.

Fran is 25 on her own. With Teacher's power, who knows what their effective fighting level is.

Ryllharu
Fri, 11-11-2022, 03:37 AM
Donadrond's level doesn't take into account Teacher's power. Teacher was killing C-rank monsters on his own, with no wielder.

Fran is 25 on her own. With Teacher's power, who knows what their effective fighting level is.
Experience makes a bigger difference than you're making it out to be. Fran, cute as she is, is rushing too fast toward her dream. Even Teacher has pointed it out to her. Fran has great instincts, but she lacks the experience to meet her full potential and the way she rushes cost her her hands as the most concrete example. She panicked, froze from the shock, and nearly died.

We've seen how the contrast of how Donadrond fights when he gets surprised by an opponent's strength.

It's his job because he has made it his job. His very behavior revealed that explicitly. Fran doesn't give a damn about his job, nor does great many other adventurers, I bet. From Fran's pov, the dude is someone trying to hold her back and slow down her progress toward her dream. All she needs is the sword.

It's her business. She's the kind of person who rushes forward and subjects herself to deadly dangers to grow stronger. She would be dead without Teacher, but she has it, so that's it.
This is some DPS > Healer bullshit mentality and the same shitty rationale behind it.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-11-2022, 04:33 AM
This is some DPS > Healer bullshit mentality and the same shitty rationale behind it.

Don't know how you came to that conclusion.

Kraco is saying that Fran can be reckless, but she can because Teacher keeps her alive. There's no ">" involved.

Ryllharu
Fri, 11-11-2022, 04:48 AM
I said Fran deserved to be scolded for what she did. The characters in the anime agreed, including Fran reluctantly.

Fran cares about the people in the town. They care about her, and the risks she took deserved a scolding.

Nobody else seems to agree here, because the rest of you have blinders on looking at the outcome that she defeated a demon "so it all works out." The ends did not justify the means. That was the whole point of her getting scolded.

The series is about more than Fran and Teacher getting stupid skills and levels. That's what makes a LitRPG series like this tolerable. It's also heavily about Fran's personal growth. It's like the rest of you forgot what happened in every preceding episode.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-11-2022, 05:11 AM
I get the whole "be careful, don't rush" thing. Nothing about her action was right. Rushing forward is wrong. Not teleporting out is wrong.

I don't get how it has anything to do with DPS (players) being more important than healers. I understood the conversation until you brought that up.

Ryllharu
Fri, 11-11-2022, 05:13 AM
A specific response to a specific argument made by Kraco. The attitude those types of players have equates to the current emotional and tactical development place Fran was in.

She's not fine because she has Teacher. She's only alive because of him.

Teacher knows this distinction is a problem. Fran doesn't yet, but she's getting very close. What was she going to do with herself if he really fell apart for good? Or even if he slips from her grasp again and he's stuck in mana-draining mud again.

Kraco
Fri, 11-11-2022, 05:40 AM
A specific response to a specific argument made by Kraco. The attitude those types of players have equates to the current emotional and tactical development place Fran was in.

She's not fine because she has Teacher. She's only alive because of him.

Teacher knows this distinction is a problem. Fran doesn't yet, but she's getting very close. What was she going to do with herself if he really fell apart for good? Or even if he slips from her grasp again and he's stuck in mana-draining mud again.

Let me tell you this: If Fran followed Donadrond's advice, she might as well forget about her (and her parents') dream of proving the black cat tribe (or whatever was the name) can evolve. Would Donadrond care about it? No. I bet Donadrond's race can evolve just fine with some steady (and safe) work, but it's not so for Fran's folks, as far as she and her parents believe, and by the looks of it many others as well. She needs to push herself this much to achieve anything. There have been a couple of scenes of Teacher protesting against it, but in the end Fran always made Teacher see the light. Because it's the only path forward that she can see.

Losing her hands was nothing but a valuable lesson for her because Teacher was there to heal her. So, it's no big deal. In the first place, she would have been long dead already without the sword. Those two are a single unit. It's not about what Fran can do, it's about what Fran+Teacher can do. Donadrond doesn't have a clue, and I don't think he wants to get a clue either.

David75
Fri, 11-11-2022, 07:37 AM
I come after the battle, but in the end both POVs are true: Fran was egoistical and exposed herself to danger and nearly got killed saved by Teacher's OP healing powers.
But if she didn't do what she did, no evolution and no one could beat that demon, so a disaster would happen.

I guess some would be in the no risk no gain camp, and the others in the be careful and always think teamwork camp

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-11-2022, 10:35 AM
They speak Japanese.

The subs are fine.

Seeing Fran early > slightly worse subs

I thought they were Chinese voiced!? Where do I get these early releases?

Ryllharu
Fri, 11-11-2022, 10:46 AM
Nyaa has the bilibili rip subs.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-11-2022, 11:50 AM
I don't get how it has anything to do with DPS (players) being more important than healers. I understood the conversation until you brought that up.I'm not sure the metaphor is 1:1, but I think what they're referring to is how shitty DPSers will do whatever they can to maximize their damage, including standing in attacks they're supposed to avoid. And when they die, they blame the healer for not being able to keep them alive.

I bet Donadrond's race can evolve just fine with some steady (and safe) work, but it's not so for Fran's folks, as far as she and her parents believe, and by the looks of it many others as well. She needs to push herself this much to achieve anything.Does she? It's never happened before. So how do you know if pushing herself has jack shit to do with her evolving?

David75
Fri, 11-11-2022, 12:17 PM
I thought they were Chinese voiced!? Where do I get these early releases?
NC-RAWS, nyaa.si

Most of the time chinese subs are first so you have to select the language you want of which english.
For Reincarnated as a sword, UHD ai upscale and 600 to 900MB encodes.
Other shows with a 1080p rez are from under 200MB to 600MB from B-Global source. CR source files are always over 1GB

Kraco
Fri, 11-11-2022, 12:43 PM
Does she? It's never happened before. So how do you know if pushing herself has jack shit to do with her evolving?

I don't know, but she seems to believe so. Teacher has hesitated every now and then, but Fran keeps telling it that she must press on. What's the alternative?

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-11-2022, 08:49 PM
I don't know, but she seems to believe so. Teacher has hesitated every now and then, but Fran keeps telling it that she must press on. What's the alternative?Use Thunder Stone?

Hard to answer given they haven't even explained how it works for the races that DO evolve.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-11-2022, 10:38 PM
I think Kraco's point is since the pair protags don't have that knowledge, they are just going with what common sense or intuition tells them. Getting stronger usually involves pushing yourself beyond your limits, so that is what they are trying.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-12-2022, 02:31 AM
Looks like it's now 3v3 for Early vs Late release watchers.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-12-2022, 04:11 AM
Then I'm out of this thread. I'm still watching it, but the fucked-up release schedule has generally made this series impossible to discuss (and not just here). If they weren't offset exactly a week, it might be more tolerable, but it feels like trying to discuss a series where the LN or manga readers are spoiling every post.

David75
Sat, 11-12-2022, 04:45 AM
I didn't participate much, after all because of time zones I watch anime almost immediately when they are available.
So I always wait for anyone to update a thread before I participate.

Regarding that show, I don't think I spoiled anything.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-12-2022, 04:57 AM
I didn't participate much, after all because of time zones I watch anime almost immediately when they are available.
So I always wait for anyone to update a thread before I participate.

Regarding that show, I don't think I spoiled anything.

I'm not saying anyone has, but it feels like it, because the early release watchers literally know how things unfold that the official release watchers might want to speculate on. You have a week forward worth of information.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-16-2022, 12:21 PM
Episode 7

---------

Fran isn't in a naked apron getup, but damn it looks like one.
How they pulled it off as cute without being inappropriate is impressive.

Lie Detect also buffs lies. That's quite a skill. Though is everything a skill in this show? Such that you can steal MANNERS from soneone?
I guess it's up to the author.

Skill Taker and Parallel Minds aside, I want that unlimited fridge space with infinite expiry date. That's just so practical.

Kraco
Wed, 11-16-2022, 02:49 PM
The Japanese really love these experience points based level up game systems. It can work in a scripted game, but when you actually have it in a functional universe, like these isekai mostly try to depict, it's unbelievably stupid. Like here the ugly dude formed a party and then just sat on his fat ass, having other party members do all the work, yet he got stronger as well, thanks to the experience points system. "Nothing wrong about that," said almost every isekai author.

Lie Detect also buffs lies. That's quite a skill. Though is everything a skill in this show? Such that you can steal MANNERS from soneone?
I guess it's up to the author.

It could be that fool only could act somewhat civilised because of the skill. Without it, he reverted to his very basic and natural character, which was utterly barbarian and uncouth. If he had actually been a civilised person from the beginning, chances are the skill either wouldn't have existed at all for him or there wouldn't have been such a big change. Who knows how that skill system works. In the first place, to go back to the beginning of my post, if you have skills, you might as well have a skill based level up system, not an experience points based one. Experience points with skills can be even worse if you can level up skills purely by using level up bonuses, without ever doing any practice. I just watch the show for Fran and adventure, I try not to think too much about the mechanics.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 11-16-2022, 05:18 PM
Considering the long cooldown on Skilltaker, I feel like Fran wasted hers.

The Japanese really love these experience points based level up game systems.It's difficult to overstate how much the Japanese really love Dragon Quest.

Kraco
Thu, 11-17-2022, 01:24 AM
Considering the long cooldown on Skilltaker, I feel like Fran wasted hers.

Yeah, it did feel a bit like that, but on the other hand, it apparently was her dream to be able to behave in a refined manner, even if it's hardly useful in a full-time adventurer's everyday life. It's, perhaps, not all that surprising considering she was a slave. If she saw wealthy, free people from far away interacting with their peers and how they were totally different from a lowly slave, it's not so strange. In the modern world we can have a barbarian like Trump be a millionaire and the president of the most powerful country in the world, but if we jump back a century, the nouveau riche still often wanted to emulate the old noble ways at least superficially, and if we go back even further, there was real desire for all the people who managed to amass some wealth to actually be accepted by the noble aristocracy, which led to impoverished nobles sometimes saving themselves by deigning to allow a rich merchant family to marry into their noble family.

David75
Thu, 11-17-2022, 02:31 AM
I guess for that show also most of you are a week late ?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-17-2022, 09:03 AM
I guess for that show also most of you are a week late ?

This show?

David75
Thu, 11-17-2022, 09:28 AM
Discussions were about ep7 and ep8 was out yesterday.

Kraco
Thu, 11-17-2022, 10:31 AM
Discussions were about ep7 and ep8 was out yesterday.

If you start to discuss the one week in advance Chinese schedule episodes, I'll just drop out of the thread. It's not against the rules, so you just have to make the decision. By the looks of it, Bill seemed to decide to only talk about the episode in the Japanese (and American) schedule, so for the time being I'll participate.

David75
Thu, 11-17-2022, 12:00 PM
Easy, I was just asking and like I wrote in the other thread with the same problem, I always wait the discussions to be about the right episode.

That schedule thing is a bit of a problem. Also I wonder if the subs are really different/better the week after. But that's another subject altogether.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 11-17-2022, 02:23 PM
Same here, I don't talk about an episode unless it is already in active discussion.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-17-2022, 09:30 PM
Yeah my comment was written last week. I've got Episode 8's initial impression saved on a notepad for next week.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-18-2022, 01:26 PM
Easy, I was just asking and like I wrote in the other thread with the same problem, I always wait the discussions to be about the right episode.

That schedule thing is a bit of a problem. Also I wonder if the subs are really different/better the week after. But that's another subject altogether.I mostly wait for the Subplease release just cause that's convenient for me. And Subsplease is basically NA streaming rips.

Only exception atm is Bleach, cause...that's not on Subsplease.

David75
Fri, 11-18-2022, 10:15 PM
Subsplease: very large files...

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-19-2022, 02:23 AM
Subsplease: very large files...

For most of their shows it's like 700MB, but weirdly for this show it's 200MB or so.

Meanwhile when I download the early releases I am sometimes left with just 4K sources that are 1GB. I get them anyway.

Kraco
Sat, 11-19-2022, 03:40 AM
I still keep downloading 720p versions! I started doing that all those years ago, when I was watching a dozen shows a season and archived them all. So, no amount of HDD space available was ever enough. Nowadays I seem to find it difficult to keep watching more than three shows, but I still stick to the 720p versions, like I always did. I guess I could switch to FullHD.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-23-2022, 09:28 AM
Episode 08

---------------------------------

I thought that Blue Cat would last longer..
..damn...

I'm happy we got back to Happy Fran. That's what I'm mostly here for.

My favourite moment in this episode was how Fran drew Teacher - Swung her sword out into the Dimensional Storage and dumped the scabbord into it. Sick.

Not sure what to make of Amanda yet.

(Having watched an ep or two with both translations, I think that Subsplease seem to localise a bit more with their speech instead of translating more literally. I don't really like that. But they do typeset the status menus when they pop up while Billibilli subs does the bare minimum with that)

Kraco
Wed, 11-23-2022, 12:27 PM
I'd say the Blue Cat was almost more than expected. Honestly, what kind of powerhouse would you expect the runaway idiot son of a noble to be able to hire? He probably wouldn't have been able to get even one of the Blue Cat's calibre if the target wasn't a Black Cat. You need either an uncaring mercenary or a real villain for a random, unjustified act of revenge. With the noble's lack of skills, he couldn't have anymore tricked anyone either. Most villains would just rob the idiot or hold him for ransom. Any truly powerful villain wouldn't bother to listen to him. Hiring a powerful mercery could have already been unattainable for the idiot.

I find Amanda quite amusing and her actions understandable: anyone would be charmed by Fran. That being said, if we had multiple episodes of Amanda stalking Fran, things would turn annoying. But they are already going to raid a dungeon.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-23-2022, 02:10 PM
I think Amanda just saw how powerful Fran is and wanted to fight her to see her true strength.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-30-2022, 10:17 AM
Episode 09

-------------------------

Hahaha, The openning fight was entertaining as hell.
All the type from the Rank E dude's buddies.
Fran being him without the sword, then having to make it all about the sword.
xD.
And the ear twiddle :3

As for Amanda's fight, it only did the following:
-cut Fran's face.
-Have rocks stun her left forearm
-Glanced her abdomen (mana whip version)
-Wind shield (counts as a ?throw)

Yet Fran got knocked unconscious. I can't tell if it's the air shield throw, a whip with paralysis (poison would clash with her character, though paralysis wouldn't), or if Fran just ran out of mana/exhausted from Parallel thought.
Amanda did say that it's supposed to be a 1-hit-KO move though (Subsplease subsequentally calls it a sure-fire kill instead of 1HK)

The examiner guys thought Fran fucked Amanda up lol

Now I get the whole "Don't use fire when there's a forrest thing, but those are fucking rocks. There's nothing "forrest"-y about it The only weird thing is why there are stalagmites without anything dropping from the top.

Kraco
Wed, 11-30-2022, 12:33 PM
It was a funny manzai scene where the adventurers introduced themselves and Fran told everyone she likes to eat curry, only to get straightened out by Teacher noting nobody wants to hear about her favourite dishes. Although that being said, it did look like Amanda welcomed the info. Even if she shouldn't know what curry is.

The fight against Amanda was nothing like the fight against the demon, even though Fran should be a whole lot stronger now. I guess that's the problem with friendly duels. Teacher also didn't participate at all, aside from as a passive sword, probably to keep the whole intelligent weapon issue a secret. But then again, no matter what kind of remarkable finishing move they had come up with, they would have lost anyway because of Amanda's automatically activated life-saving power. Assuming Fran would have still been in any shape to fight, if they had managed to surprise Amanda enough for it to trigger, like happened, after that Amanda would have obviously put all of her Class A skills and experience to use, and it would have been game over in any case.

Now I get the whole "Don't use fire when there's a forrest thing, but those are fucking rocks. There's nothing "forrest"-y about it The only weird thing is why there are stalagmites without anything dropping from the top.

Yeah, that was weird. I was also wondering what on Earth was burning there, since there was nothing but rocks around. It would have been pretty funny if the adventurers had had all of their tents, sleeping gear, and whatnot out, and they were all destroyed in the conflagration.

Out of curiosity, I looked for this scene in the manga, and, lo and behold, they were in an area with trees present. If I had to guess, it was probably such an environment in the novel as well. So, this anime just randomly changed the forest into a rocky desert, yet still had the nonexistent trees catch fire from the spell. A real genius move from the anime studio.

Kraco
Wed, 12-07-2022, 01:44 PM
Episode 10

- - -- -

This is actually the best thing that could happen to Fran. She's got her attitude of pushing forward and never giving up, so nothing will test her true mettle better than this. After all, if her whole prowess depends on wielding Teacher, she's not fully getting stronger as an individual of her own, nor would she prove anything about the Black Cat tribe. A Black Cat wielding a super sword can be strong is not quite the same as a Black Cat being strong. Everyone would question her part in that strong. Of course she's still a kid, so being unreasonable is to be expected, but that makes it all the more important that she can recognise what's her own strength and what belongs to Teacher. Otherwise she will hopelessly get ahead of herself and eventually meet her doom.

Other that all that, I quite liked Fran and Amanda getting along. It was quite funny Fran was just hanging with her most of the time, not participating in the fighting, as if this whole examination didn't have much to do with her.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 12-07-2022, 09:09 PM
Their combination elements reminds me of the one I made up:
https://i.imgur.com/HiCtLNY.png

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-07-2022, 11:31 PM
It was quite funny Fran was just hanging with her most of the time, not participating in the fighting, as if this whole examination didn't have much to do with her.

It technically wasn't her exam because this was a promotion for the 2 Class E groups. She was asked to join just so people will see that her rank isn't boosted. She didn't actually have to prove herself, and really this has happened already.

Kraco
Thu, 12-08-2022, 01:45 AM
Their combination elements reminds me of the one I made up:

It seems to be quite burdensome to come up with these, especially a full spectrum of combination elements.

It found it quite peculiar how, when asked about the magic, Amanda listed the four elements and that's it. Then later, when specifically asked if that's it, she added holy and dark. They might be rare, but you'd think that would make them all the more relevant. Maybe the reality of dealing with children has made Amanda too matter-of-fact. Although that hardly shows in her personality otherwise, such as stalking Fran relentlessly, trying to hug her, and get her to call Amanda a mama.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 12-14-2022, 09:52 AM

---

SIF!

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-14-2022, 11:58 AM
The summon felt a little Deus Ex.

It went berserk, but Announcer doesn't tell you that immediately and also doesn't mention the naming thing.
Once Ammanda tells you that, it gets pacified and Announcer automatically evolves it with excess mana?

The whole "going beyond the limit" thing doesn't quite carry the same weight if Teacher doesn't nearly destroy himself doing so.
I remember when he used all his mana to impale the Greater Demon and simply got lucky in absorbing its stone for mana. We've lost that sense of dread now. And I thought he put all his mana into summoning anyway.. so where's this mana for the elemental sword coming from?

Fran was lucky that the Trickster Spider was more interested in playing than killing. For someone that did such a great job fucking them over with various disarm and teleport spells, it didn't do a very good job when it counted.

Teacher should totally find one of those "instantly rearm" spells now.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 12-14-2022, 11:59 AM
I believe his mana regenerates fairly quickly.

Kraco
Wed, 12-14-2022, 12:32 PM
I reckon using all of his mana was just an expression he used. Kind of like a strong man could use all of his strength to push open a heavy door, but it doesn't mean he would drop comatose afterwards and not move for a day.

I found it hilarious a couple of times during the episode when all the hurry to find Fran seemed to disappear in exchange for magic lectures and whatnot. In the meantime we saw poisoned Fran using her last bits of HP to try to resist the spider monster to live a few minutes longer. That was such an absurd dissonance in how the episode was constructed.

Fran was lucky that the Trickster Spider was more interested in playing than killing. For someone that did such a great job fucking them over with various disarm and teleport spells, it didn't do a very good job when it counted.

On the contrary, I felt like the Trickster Spider was living up to its name. It was enjoying its various tricks and traps more than it would have enjoyed simply killing Fran and the two stooges.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-21-2022, 09:01 AM
Episode 12

---------------------

https://i.imgur.com/zKbK2OI.jpg

This is how I feel now that weekly Fran is no longer a thing.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 12-21-2022, 10:33 AM
Amanda is a killstealing hobag!

Kraco
Wed, 12-21-2022, 11:05 AM
It's not like spider boss would have been reserved for Fran alone, but it was still quite nasty to steal the kill, and destroy the mana crystal, when Fran was already in the middle of fighting the thing and not even losing or anything.

It was, for sure, better for Amanda to see Fran like this and not as a slave, if she's the daughter of two young people Momanda used to know and take care of.

Seems like the series will be getting a second season. Probably summer 2023, if I had to guess. Usually the pause is along those lines.

Ryllharu
Wed, 12-21-2022, 03:28 PM
I'm really not a fan of the wolf, Jet, especially with the reveal that it would be Rank C.

Having another overpowered companion animal throws off the narrative of Fran growing, since it's also absurdly strong, and unlike Teacher, has significantly more autonomy and independent action.

There's no equivalent of having to hide that Teacher is an intelligent weapon, there's no risk of it being helpless like Fran is. Jet is so strong that it negates the opportunities for Fran to develop independently of Teacher. The better solution would have been to have her find a subpar weapon in the trap spider's den, and for Amanda to bring Teacher back to Fran (while still having him reveal himself to Amanda).

It gets even worse that Jet has sky-stepping powers and now also functions as a flying mount for Fran. Especially when the undermine it in the post-credit scene by having her fly on Teacher. Where's the journey aspect now that she has a flying mount that isn't Teacher (using him being a risk of not being able to use him as a weapon at the same time at least has some balance).

Amanda being her parent's previous guardian was much better done, so I have no complaints with that. It builds Amanda's character nicely, and also allowed her to overcome her grief and overprotectiveness by seeing Fran succeed in her parents' stead. Amanda learned to let go, not just for the comedic sake of Fran pouting at her, but also that she can be a mentor instead of just a guardian.

At least there's a 2nd season to look forward to, and hopefully they won't fuck up the airing schedule so badly next time. If we're lucky, it will air at the same time as the Vending Machine Isekai.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-21-2022, 11:40 PM
I have that issue with summons in general, in video games as well. They're very good for engaging ads and trash mobs though, because fuck ads in a boss fight.

I downloaded the soundtrack, and overall I'd say it feels like a less impressive version of Fairy Tail. There are a few tracks that are a banger, but the rest are less so. The character is very similar to FT, whereby I actually stop to think for a second about which OST I'm listenning to. The difference is that FT soundtracks are great from the first to the last track, so in comparison this feels like leftovers by Takanashi Yasuhara.

Regarding subs, I agree that the release scheduled disrupted discussions. After going back and forth between the two releases, I am sure Subsplease is the inferior one though. There's more localisation or just down right errors. Maybe Bilibili reads the source?

They translate more literally (I prefer Urushi than Jet), plus the subs seem to match the meaning more.

I went back to Ep 1:
-Bilibili subbing "Shuntensatsu" while Subsplease used "Heavenly slash" - I do prefer subsplease in this instance.
-Teacher being stuck in the ground and panic levelled fire magic to level 10. Subsplease simply say that he's now got "a new fire spell" while Bilibili mentions that he now has Flame Magic Level 1. Clearly more accurate in the latter.
-Teacher calls Fran Mofumimi, which is left as-is in Bilibili, while Subsplease translates this to catgirl. I'm alright with either version, but it irks me when it should really be Fluffy Ears or something.

I think localisation can be good when it works, it's just that when it doesn't it stands out and my immediate thought is "should have just left it alone". Sentences I feel are beter left alone than localised. Words/nouns really depends.

Subsplease typesetting the status menus is great. I just wished they combined their strengths.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 12-22-2022, 12:31 AM
Subsplease typesetting the status menus is great. I just wished they combined their strengths.Should point out that Subsplease is not actually a fansub group. All they do is rip the official streams from Crunchyroll/Funimation/etc. and post the rips. So Subsplease is usually good quality because it's the official subs being put out by the company.

Kraco
Thu, 12-22-2022, 02:17 AM
I have that issue with summons in general, in video games as well. They're very good for engaging ads and trash mobs though, because fuck ads in a boss fight.

What are these ads you are talking about? It can't be advertisement, haha.

Should point out that Subsplease is not actually a fansub group. All they do is rip the official streams from Crunchyroll/Funimation/etc. and post the rips. So Subsplease is usually good quality because it's the official subs being put out by the company.

Official translations were more often than not guilty of needless localisations. It has certainly got better over the years, at least, or maybe I just don't care anymore. Hard to say. Nevertheless, translating character names is most of the time a bit iffy, unless there's a special consistency and system for the names, like every name is supposed to describe the character in a very descriptive manner. It could be a tribal tradition, for example. The name could be earned later in life due to achievements, like von Richthofen was called the Red Baron. Translating such nicknames could be quite essential.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-24-2022, 11:38 PM
Should point out that Subsplease is not actually a fansub group. All they do is rip the official streams from Crunchyroll/Funimation/etc. and post the rips. So Subsplease is usually good quality because it's the official subs being put out by the company.

I know subsplease is a rip. I refer to them rather than the original streaming service mainly so I don't have to figure out exactly which one is doing this show. And just because they're "official" doesn't mean they're good.

@Kraco: adds as I'm additional NPCs/Spawns.