PDA

View Full Version : Urusei Yatsura 2022

David75
Thu, 10-13-2022, 02:22 PM

My Anime List
https://myanimelist.net/anime/50710/Urusei_Yatsura_2022

Synopsis
Not much is notable about the lecherous Ataru Moroboshi, but his extraordinary bad luck sticks out like the horns in an alien's head. When Earth is threatened by a fleet of alien invaders known as the Oni, Ataru is selected to represent humanity in a duel against one of them. It's a stroke of rare luck for Ataru that the duel is in fact a game of tag, and that his opponent is Lum, daughter of the Oni's leader, who places her personal dignity above victory—as Ataru finds out by seizing Lum's bikini top and with it, victory.

However, misfortune kicks in again when Lum mistakes Ataru's promise to marry his girlfriend, Shinobu Miyake, as the desire to wed Lum herself, and decides she rather likes the idea. Wielding her influence as an alien princess, she moves in with him. Forced to deal with the consequences of his womanizing ways, Ataru must balance his crumbling relationship with Shinobu while keeping Lum happy, all the while flirting with every woman he meets.

It was as "noisy" as I remember that first ep from 35 years ago... And I remember some differences I can mention if no one thinks of them as spoilers or cares.
Will let that remake its chance for a few eps.
There's some good, after all the original run was far from perfect, but there are things I liked better then. Maybe it's because of the first mini arc and I will eventually tune to the new tone.

Kraco
Thu, 10-13-2022, 03:23 PM
At first I thought why not, let's have a look, but then I checked the AniDB page and decided I wouldn't be able to watch anime like this anymore. There just are tropes that are fine for the first 10 years of watching anime, but then they start to get too tired.

Ryllharu
Thu, 10-13-2022, 04:43 PM
It's one of those dated series that still holds up though. Maison Ikkoku does too, even though there are so many derivatives of the boarding house with the young landlady female lead since then. Ranma 1/2 is actually still tough to beat in its sub-genre of martial arts comedies.

I do not think a lot of her newer series hold up, but the main trio of Takahashi Rumiko classic series really do.

Modernizing the animation while keeping everything else matched to 1978 worked out pretty well.