PDA

View Full Version : Isekai Ojisan

MFauli
Wed, 07-06-2022, 06:04 PM
Seventeen years ago, Takafumi's uncle fell into a coma, but now he's back like a man risen from his grave. Soon, Takafumi discovers two bizarre things: His uncle treasures video games above all else, and, while comatose, he was actually transported to another world as some heroic guardian! Now, not only does Takafumi have to room with an uncle who is literally magical, he also has to catch the guy up on two decades of history—smartphones, high-speed internet, modern anime tropes...and the traumatic outcome of the '90s console war!

-------------------------------
-------------------------------

Episode 1:

That was just super enjoyable from start to finish :D

First of all, I like that this isn't just gags only like so many comedy anime do it, there's serious parts, too, and scenes develop quite naturally.

Secondly, I love how how his coma time comes into play with the present time. "He went to coma before the concept of Tsundere became widely popular", omg, I burst out in laughter :D And then his SEGA-fanboy-ing, hahaha. While I have always been a Nintendo-fan, it's still fun seeing this hardcore-SEGA fan reminiscing old SEGA-stuff ^^

And then I'm glad that they'Re actually showing scenes from the isekai, too.

The one thing I'm not sure about is whether the whole series takes place inside the appartment (which lots of gag series do) or whether they leave the house often, too, and exerpience stuff outside. I'd hope so.

The ong thing I found kinda silly was how overplayed his supposed ugliness was. He didn't come off as specially ugly from what we could see. Not sure why the isekai people reacted so negatively to him. And holy shit, lol, that girl offering up to be raped by him as a reward, rofl. And he got no idea what it meant.

If this anime can keep it up, it's gonna be fantastic. Also I hope the elf girl somehow can follow him to the real word, I wanna see a happy end here.

Ryllharu
Wed, 07-06-2022, 06:47 PM
Too bad netflix has the license. They won't air it for another two weeks since they don't understand how simulcast works.

KrayZ33
Thu, 07-07-2022, 02:56 AM
This is fun.
I feel bad for the poor guy, but damn, the "he's ugly" joke is amazing.

Ryllharu
Thu, 07-07-2022, 02:25 PM
Found some rips today.

The ong thing I found kinda silly was how overplayed his supposed ugliness was. He didn't come off as specially ugly from what we could see. Not sure why the isekai people reacted so negatively to him. And holy shit, lol, that girl offering up to be raped by him as a reward, rofl. And he got no idea what it meant.

If this anime can keep it up, it's gonna be fantastic.
The uncle did say that everyone in the other world is supernaturally attractive by our standards. So the uncle, being like a 4/10 by our world's standards, was monstrously ugly by theirs.

Best girls of the season are all in this show. Four equally Best Girls.

The series is top tier, but keep in mind the general level of misunderstanding that the uncle had in the other world and his lack of awareness of all the isekai archetype tropes that we know. What sets this apart is the art style, the fact that he's a returnee with all his powers, he's also essentially a coma victim in terms of our own world, and it's also a retrospective perspective on his experiences in the other world.

There's a lot of erased memories in his notebook that he's keeping track of with tally/hash marks. The subtext of this series is does not come off as a particularly happy one.

neflight86
Fri, 07-08-2022, 09:10 PM
It was a slow burn, but by the end of this first episode I was enjoying it.

I shouldn't have approached this as a typical deconstruction or trope-bingo isekai comedy/parody. There was certainly more substance here than most, but the gags, as they were, took longer to build than I would like. The heart is there, though, and I'm really looking forward to what they do with this setup now that the setup is effectively done.

MFauli
Wed, 07-13-2022, 03:18 PM
Episode 2:

Way too short. Damn, this was fun. The girl adds a whole new level of fun :D

Burst out in laughter when the uncle started talking about Evangelion, rofl.

Oh, and the old Sega magazine with the ranking :D

They should put in a HXH reference, something that actually is still running >_>

KrayZ33
Thu, 07-14-2022, 02:59 PM
I was just about to say that in episode 2, the jokes felt lame and I wondered how this show will remain entertaining - it was slightly funny but the sega jokes get old real quick.... that's when the girl showed up.

Ryllharu
Thu, 07-14-2022, 03:43 PM
Three of the four best girls already getting screentime and it is only episode 2.

Fujimiya is the best of the best girls though. I love her sharp expressions the most. The absolutely glare she's giving off when she finds the stray hair on the floor (which is obviously the uncle's, hahah). Also her sullen side glance expression when the uncle comes in the balcony door (both the up close detail and even better the lower fidelity wide shot a second later). Visual comedy here is absolutely on-point.

The little details on the worldbuilding are really good. This episode just low-key told us how the Uncle can do magic in both worlds.

neflight86
Fri, 07-15-2022, 09:19 AM
Still great entertainment. I'm a sucker for the super dense Ojisan and want to hear more of his misadventures. With the new girl came a (needed) new dynamic and I couldn't be more invested in what happens next.

MFauli
Wed, 07-20-2022, 02:55 PM
Episode 3:

Another fun episode, but I had hoped the real elf would come to the real world instead of a transformation.

Also, ultimately uncle is another "gay hero" which is super frustration. He could have "had" that elf girl :/

Oh, and wtf: I thought that ugly kid was uncle as a child. Did the girl undergo transgender surgery or what?!

Ryllharu
Wed, 07-20-2022, 06:22 PM
Obviously Fujimiya was a late bloomer.

Honestly, one of my favorite traits of the series is that the Uncle just stops listening to the Elf all the time when she's talking. That kind of neglect-play is guaranteed to work on anime tsundere. And of course, it does here too.

I love the way the series deals with worldbuilding exposition because the Uncle does. not. care. They've even set that personality aspect up because he dislikes RPGs. He ignores her when she's dropping lore, he ignores the quest-like prompts and just goes and kills the boss outright, etc. But instead of coming off as a shitty person, he just comes off as either a driven person or one who inherently knows he's so overpowered that he can just do what he wants to experiment out of sheer curiosity, and he's up front about that too.

It makes it refreshing.

I wouldn't say he's the usual asexual protagonist. He doesn't recognize the tropes, and he is so narrowly focused on Sega and wanting to get home that he ignores all the advances. He actually has a reason, instead of the usual where they are interested in girls, want them, but ultimately do nothing with them. The uncle actively thinks the Elf hates him because she shit talks him all the time.

He's just socially inept, like with the youtube comments. But that was then, in the other world. He catches up fast in the present, like with the scenes with Fujimiya. Takefumi has the same problem the uncle had in not recognizing the affection.

MFauli
Thu, 07-21-2022, 04:57 AM
I just can't get over the "omg he's so ugly" scenes. Calling him orc-face and people seriously thinking he might be an orc. The anime does a really bad job at portraying this believably in any way.

neflight86
Thu, 07-21-2022, 01:50 PM
That was established in ep1. Everyone there was gorgeous, and anyone who doesn't meet that standard might as well be an orc. No need to explain it further.

Most all of the jokes are unique and I really appreciate the effort of coming up with fresh material like this. The metacommentary about youtuber life and what makes a video viable are especially funny. I also loved Ojisan dropping the aunt act but not transforming back and everyone just rolls with it. Great stuff.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 07-23-2022, 11:44 PM
He doesn't LOOK like an orc though. He looks more like a goblin, or possibly a ghoul.

They should put in a HXH reference, something that actually is still runningIf you can call it that...

Ryllharu
Fri, 07-29-2022, 02:15 PM
Eps 4

FYI, due to a COVID outbreak at the studio, episode 5 will air 17th August

----------

Fujimiya is the best of the best girls. I appreciate the childhood tormentor/guardian/friend dynamic, but unfortunately, she seems to have friendzoned herself. Bonus points that she's an ugly duckling who grew up hot after she hit college age. Fujimiya actually covers quite a bit of shoujo romance manga tropes, which is a nice compliment to the otherworld girls who are all some shonen romance tropes. Her attempts at seduction backfiring, hell even her being the initiator in the majority of the scenes, feels fresh. They're not forced gags, they're adorable awkward first romance.

Elf's translucent dress ftw. And the soft protest noises in her dere mode are even better. A truly god-tier tsundere who drops in volume the more dere she gets.

His motto being from Puyo Puyo is actually a good one. Risky half-fills of the screen are the current Vs strategy even.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 07-29-2022, 11:35 PM
I too was like "You sent him your middleschool photo?! You trying to get him on the registry?!"

neflight86
Sat, 07-30-2022, 10:48 AM
The memories are hilarious, but they make me crave some of his snubbed ladies to make the cross over with him, and the hijinks they would bring.

MFauli
Sat, 07-30-2022, 12:01 PM
I enjoy 99% of this show, but that Fujimiya is supposed to be that school kid is just dumb imo. It's a totally different person that cannot be explained away with "well, she grew up and changed". It's not funny either. No idea why they keep doing this.

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-30-2022, 12:20 PM
Hard disagree.

It's very funny. And it's called puberty and a new haircut.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 07-30-2022, 01:05 PM
It's a totally different person that cannot be explained away with "well, she grew up and changed".Yes it can. I knew several people like that.

I swear, sometimes it feels like you've never met a real person before.

MFauli
Sat, 07-30-2022, 02:39 PM
I haven't met people that completely changed like that, so to me it's too unrealistic to be funny, especially repeatedly. We all know examples like Haley Joel Osment, but even he has the same general appearnce kid or adult, doesn't matter. I don'T know. This "joke" just feels gross, like Fujimiya underwent surgery or something. Can't help but now enjoy this joke. Fortunately, the other jokes are great.

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-30-2022, 02:42 PM
I mean, just look up "Ugly Duckling Before and After" for the easiest examples.

It very much happens.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-01-2022, 08:15 AM
Even googling that term, the transformations are believable and are done through make up, a haircut, weight loss, and just normal aging through puberty.

In this case, Fujimiya looks like a wrinkly, ugly, 40-year-old man and then became a normal anime woman. I understand it is intentionally hyperbolic, but if we judge using what we are presented, she must have had extensive plastic surgery to achieve such a transformation.

EDIT:
I just realized Fujimiya showered and still looked like herself, so she didn't even have makeup on to achieve her transformation, making it even more likely she had cosmetic work done.

To be clear, I still find the joke funny, especially because the difference is so extreme. It is definitely not realistic, though, if surgery didn't happen.

KrayZ33
Mon, 08-01-2022, 02:26 PM
Just why do we even (semi-seriously) discuss this....
Might as well go all the way "when she hit MC, that would've hurt in real life and he'd probably have to go to the hospital"-something-something
It's a joke and that's it. I have no flipping idea why this joke is any less believable than all the other ones so why did it even come up. Or... I know why it came up :rolleyes: but ....you know what I mean.

MFauli
Mon, 08-01-2022, 02:40 PM
Just why do we even (semi-seriously) discuss this....
Might as well go all the way "when she hit MC, that would've hurt in real life and he'd probably have to go to the hospital"-something-something
It's a joke and that's it. I have no flipping idea why this joke is any less believable than all the other ones so why did it even come up. Or... I know why it came up :rolleyes: but ....you know what I mean.

A forum about anime exists to write about thoughts relating to anime. These threads exist to share thoughts about ongoing episodes. Thoughts can be about obersvations praise criticism, etc.. And I criticize this particular job, while praising other elements. But for WHATEVER reason, you cannot cope with someone not liking that particular joke. I find it a bad joke, because she's literally a different person in those flashbacks. Not an "ugly duckling" situation. And a punch to the face is a regular occurrence in anime. A character looking entirely different as a kid is something I've never encountered to this degree.

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-01-2022, 03:05 PM
It's a gag, and one you both (MFauli and shinta) are taking far too seriously.

Do you think a character's face transforms into a Joestar or Kenshiro when they parody those? Do girls eyes go completely white when they give an homage to Glass Mask?

It's a gag.

Fujimiya's plumper face, contorted expression from a sneer, and her hideous bowl haircut from elementary school is obviously exaggerated for effect. It explains why her middle school femininity and now college age sexual appeal doesn't really work on Takefumi. She's liked him the whole time. She bullied him because that's what stupid girls do to the boys the like. The exaggerated features emphasize that.

She didn't get plastic surgery, wtf is wrong with the both of you?! It's stylistic.

When the Uncle described how everyone in the otherworld is exceptionally attractive by our standards, the art leveled up to show it and the bandits turned into ikemen for a flash. The otherworlders don't morph back and forth.

If you personally don't find it funny, I'm leaving that up to cultural differences in humor. We encounter those issues all the time across many series.

MFauli
Mon, 08-01-2022, 03:24 PM
All I'll say is that I've never seen this kind of joke taken that far. For example, take Great Teacher Onizuka. In comedic scenes, this anime distorts the characters' face, going from anime faces to "realistic" Japanese faces. But even there, they're still recognizable as the same person.

In Fujimiya's case, it's not just a distortion. It's completely different face. A different person. Hence why the gag didn't land with me, because it's so cheap to just use a completely different face. It'd be funnier if she was recognizable, but way uglier. I mean, ffs, I thought her younger self was the younger version of the uncle ...

We don't need to make this a long debate, but I don't understand why I cannot express my opnion on it without someone attacking me.

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-01-2022, 03:32 PM
We don't need to make this a long debate, but I don't understand why I cannot express my opnion on it without someone attacking me.

Because you express your opinion in absolutes (emphasis mine).

[It is] a totally different person that cannot be explained away with "well, she grew up and changed".

An absolute statement being: assertion by the author that some fact or idea is absolutely, undeniably true

If you make declarative statements like this, expect an appropriate response in kind. When you double-down, so will others, because now you've started a discussion about something specific. It's not an attack, it becomes a debate.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-01-2022, 04:08 PM
@Ryll - You didn't read what I said.

I specifically mentioned that I understand it is intentionally hyperbolic. I was just saying if we are going on what was depicted alone, it is unrealistic to say it was a natural transformation. I also specifically said I found it funny and like the joke.

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-01-2022, 04:28 PM
Which I was happy with until I read your edit.

On one hand, we might as well bicker about stupid shit like this because of the two-week delay until the next episode.

On the other hand, we should be focusing on the post-credits Deathtrap Dungeon content of episode 4. The stomach touching somehow more erotic than any intentionally-ecchi series in years.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-01-2022, 04:54 PM
My edit did not negate my previous statement, just added info about make up aiding before and after transformations significantly.

The rest of my statements were working under the untrue premise that the transformation should be realistic, which it intentionally isn't, as I specifically mentioned. A hypothetical, per se. I obviously don't think that cosmetic surgery had any part in this joke.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-02-2022, 02:19 AM
I don't get why Uncle's memory-playback uses otherworldly incantations while everything else works in Japanese. Even memory-erase works in Japanese. Seems like an inconsistency done for purely stylistic purposes.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 08-02-2022, 09:08 AM
It's a joke and that's it. I have no flipping idea why this joke is any less believable than all the other ones so why did it even come up. Or... I know why it came up :rolleyes: but ....you know what I mean.It effects MFauli's dick, so it inevitably has to turn into an argument.

"The hot chick wasn't a hot child. I find that unrealistic! Mreaaaah!"

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-02-2022, 10:24 AM
Agreed. The only reason I can come up with is that the Icuras Elran spell is an internally applied spell and doesn't use the spirits of the world. His other spells use spirits of the world to manifest, and the modern world's spirits understand only its own languages.

Ryllharu
Tue, 08-02-2022, 03:02 PM
His memories are from that world, so he uses that language to bring them up. It's consistent, pretty sure.

Except for the one time he used it to erase remembering SEGA no longer makes consoles, but that was also the pilot, so we can forgive it.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-02-2022, 03:18 PM
So if he were to replay memory from yesterday, he'd use Japanese? Not sure if we'll ever see this tested.

Forgot to mention, skulling a can of 5% shouldn't be impressive.

MFauli
Wed, 08-03-2022, 12:55 AM
It effects MFauli's dick, so it inevitably has to turn into an argument.

"The hot chick wasn't a hot child. I find that unrealistic! Mreaaaah!"

The only one's obsessed with my dick are you and Kray. Wtf is wrong with you.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 08-03-2022, 02:43 AM
His memories are from that world, so he uses that language to bring them up. It's consistent, pretty sure.In the first episode, they established that using the language of the other world doesn't work in this world. But using Japanese does. It's the first thing they establish about him using magic here.

But then he keeps using spells after that using the otherworld language...

Wtf is wrong with you.Well, there's this guy on a message board I use that constantly complains about the absolute dumbest shit imaginable. It's pretty constant. And he's usually a real creep about it. Just a real waste of everyone's time.

Other than that, things are pretty good!

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-07-2022, 11:11 AM
No episode this week?

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-07-2022, 11:18 AM
No episode this week?

Nope. Requoting the note I put which got buried in the discussion.

Eps 4

FYI, due to a COVID outbreak at the studio, episode 5 will air 17th August

DarthEnderX
Mon, 08-22-2022, 11:08 PM

---

Back and funny.

MFauli
Tue, 08-23-2022, 09:31 AM
First half was funny with the ice girl. Second half was whatever. The "orc" joke just doesnt connect with me.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 08-24-2022, 10:57 PM

---

Knowing how Mfauli feels about protags that pass on opportunities, this show must infuriate you. :p

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-25-2022, 11:21 AM
The comedy is on point.

Rabbits being evil maneaters was some Re:Zero kind of twist.

Tsundere Elf > Mabel. The latter's laziness and weirdness makes her less pleasant to deal with, especially now that we know Elf's hostility towards Uncle is 100% warranted after their first meeting.

MFauli
Thu, 08-25-2022, 01:27 PM

---

Knowing how Mfauli feels about protags that pass on opportunities, this show must infuriate you. :p

I mean, I'm used to it at this point. But them, the things I'd do to Mabel. She's perfect <3

"I'll go with you. But you have to wait until night, because I'm a nightowl and take a nap until then" LOL

DarthEnderX
Thu, 08-25-2022, 06:55 PM
This feels different than the usual "hero that just doesn't care about girls".

You know that Uncle would be down, he's just too stupid to see the runway lights being laid out for him.

David75
Thu, 08-25-2022, 10:52 PM
That show was fun... but it needs to shift the repetitive nature it set to something else.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-25-2022, 11:36 PM
With the reveal that his spell casting is actually a result of his language skill allowing communication with spirits, the fact that he now chants in Japanese makes less sense.

On one hand, fictional Japanese "spells" are often chanted in Japanese rather than some fictional language in contrast to how European spells are chanted in anime (though sometimes they just use German for this, but whatever). Thus, Uncle summoning fire using Japanese makes sense.

However, if the barrier to magic use lies in communing with spirits, then his translation skill itself should not allow him to use spirit-based magic any more easily than any other Japanese-speaking person.

Also, if all spells of his are performed by simply asking a nearby spirit to perform said task, it means that memory recall should be in Japanese as well. There is no evidence that he has a spirit living within him from another world that responds to jibberish.

Ryllharu
Fri, 08-26-2022, 04:42 AM
You're looking at it wrong.

His request was, "If only I could speak their language, we could understand each other."

So the absent system god just gave him everything in the simplest way possible. Anything, including spirits in both worlds, can understand him.

Other series play with the idea that universal language is OP, and it is.

Tsundere Elf > Mabel. The latter's laziness and weirdness makes her less pleasant to deal with, especially now that we know Elf's hostility towards Uncle is 100% warranted after their first meeting.
It's not even a question. Elf kept his sweatshirt from three years ago in mint condition and uses it as her sleepwear.

I do think some of it is the performance. I generally don't like Yuuki Aoi when she plays whiny characters and find her significantly grating when she plays these archetypes.

Mabel is annoying when she's whining or begging, but cute otherwise.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 08-26-2022, 12:14 PM
Other series play with the idea that universal language is OP, and it is.It's why Cypher seems like one of the weakest X-Men at first, but is actually extremely powerful once they explore what his ability actually means.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-26-2022, 07:10 PM
You're looking at it wrong.

His request was, "If only I could speak their language, we could understand each other."

So the absent system god just gave him everything in the simplest way possible. Anything, including spirits in both worlds, can understand him.

I don't understand this.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-26-2022, 07:34 PM
Same. Ryll wasn't gifted the same skill by god.

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-27-2022, 04:29 AM
Mabel's ancestor asked for a weapon to kill god. He got it and killed god. Those deity powers still exist, but no brains behind them, they work like an answering service.

Uncle got the answering service instead, asked to be able to speak languages, and the system gave him the ability to speak with ANYTHING, including things that wouldn't normally be able to understand human languages, and that power works across worlds.

Uncle speaks their language. Spirits and moonbeams don't speak in the traditional sense, but they do now to the Uncle.

The end. It's not that hard.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-27-2022, 08:27 AM
So you are saying when he was speaking to the moonbeams, we hear it as Japanese, but he was actually talking in moonbeam language? The Japanese we heard was just convenience of the playback, just like the other characters?

So essentially, every time he speaks with something and they understand it, he is actually conversing using their language intentionally. I say intentionally because when he first woke up in the modern world, he tried to cast spells but failed because he used fantasy language. That means he CAN make mistakes and use the wrong language, despite the fact he knows ALL languages (not sure if only in the fantasy world or also modern world). Is this understanding correct?

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-27-2022, 10:56 AM
He speaks, they understand. Don't think too deeply about that.

In the first episode, he spoke with the intention of speaking to the spirits because he was very well versed with them after 17 years, and realized that the spirits on Earth aren't the same as the ones on the Other World. He switched, and his requests ended up functioning the same way. Magic.

He explicitly mentioned that he eventually figured out his magic (asking spirits for help) isn't the same as the magic that the Elf does or that anyone else does. Because they don't speak to the spirits of their world. He does.

Why is the memory magic different and still uses otherworld spirits? Who cares. An answer I made up just now, yet plausible, is he is asking memory spirits which aren't elemental spirits and they're all the same.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-27-2022, 12:47 PM
In the first episode, he spoke with the intention of speaking to the spirits because he was very well versed with them after 17 years, and realized that the spirits on Earth aren't the same as the ones on the Other World. He switched, and his requests ended up functioning the same way. Magic.

This part is actually what is making it difficult for me to accept that "simple" explanation. If when he speaks, they understand, then this scene shouldn't have happened. He could just say whatever, and the spirits of Earth or whatnot should've understood. The fact that he had to switch languages and speak in Japanese is in direct contradiction to the fact that he can be immediately understood just by speaking due to his skill.

David75
Sat, 08-27-2022, 10:14 PM
When he was beaten by the rufians when he first arrived in that isekai, he was not understood at first. So he needs to actively think/do something. Can't remember the details though.

Ryllharu
Fri, 09-02-2022, 02:32 AM
Series has entered some kind of production hell from the schedule slips and the COVID quarantines. Episode 8 is delayed until further notice.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 09-02-2022, 10:03 AM
Godammit. I've been checking for the release for days now, and it turns out it was some shit again.

MFauli
Fri, 09-02-2022, 02:24 PM
Series has entered some kind of production hell from the schedule slips and the COVID quarantines. Episode 8 is delayed until further notice.

what about episode 7? Should have been out forever, too.

Ryllharu
Fri, 09-02-2022, 07:55 PM
Episode 7 was delayed a week on East Asian Netflix (where the subbers are getting the rips from).

We should expect it on the 7th.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-07-2022, 06:50 AM
Episode 07

-------------------------

Well there we have it. Turns out the Spirits understanding Japanese was just incidental due to timing. Uncle also didn't have to chant in jibberish for the Isekai spirits to understand him either, presumably. Takafumi can name his spells whatever he wants.

For some reason they drew Fujimiya Sumika as being cute during that flashback when I thought she was supposed to be ugly until the present time. I guess the joke now is that ugly puberty runs in the family.

MFauli
Fri, 09-09-2022, 04:33 AM
Was the hero reveal at the end supposed to impress me or anything? Scene fell completely flat on me.

Also, forgive me for horny, but can SOMEONE pls touch Fujimiya's boobs? They look so nice, even compared to other anime >_>

Was disappointed that they couldn't finally become a couple this episode, come on, all the dude had to do was kiss her and she'd have accepted.

Evil hedgehog was funny.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-09-2022, 05:40 AM
Was the hero reveal at the end supposed to impress me or anything? Scene fell completely flat on me.

It wasn't supposed to impress. It was supposed to be a "Oh, surprise. The hero is a cute girl who struggles to hold a sword."

Ryllharu
Fri, 09-09-2022, 09:33 AM

Also, forgive me for horny, but can SOMEONE pls touch Fujimiya's boobs? They look so nice, even compared to other anime >_>

Was disappointed that they couldn't finally become a couple this episode, come on, all the dude had to do was kiss her and she'd have accepted.
Yes, Fujimiya's chest is nicely drawn without being the silly proportions most anime go to. I said she was the ugly duckling before, and her brother proves it. They just have rough adolescence but turn out alright in the end.

It's still significant relationship progression. Takefumi and Fujimiya both are coming to terms with their feelings for each other faster and with fewer awkward obstacles because they're watching all of the Uncle's social failures in the other world. We go from aloof, to "maybe we shouldn't," for dumb reasons, to actually admitting they really care for each other's company. They're steadily slipping past the friendzone risk.

I guess you should be impressed, but with context. Uncle is probably the strongest being we've seen in the world. Elf is very powerful because she's been adventuring for a long time, and Mabel is from an isekai'd bloodline with cursed artifacts, so she's fairly overpowered herself.

Alicia is the Shining Crusader of humanity. As cleric/white mage whatever, she's presumably very powerful for the average human, but not that impressive compared to the rest of the cast. Her party adventures all over the place and nobody has died, so they certainly can handle themselves as well. She also noticed the Uncle hovering there, but immediately knew what he was doing with the barrier so she has some strong magic senses herself.

EDIT:
October will start the Rebroadcast of Episode 1-7.
Episode 8 is currently tentatively scheduled for November 24, 2022. That means this series is officially out of the rest of this season.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-11-2022, 12:37 AM
Yes, Fujimiya's chest is nicely drawn without being the silly proportions most anime go to. I said she was the ugly duckling before, and her brother proves it. They just have rough adolescence but turn out alright in the end.Well, no. Her brother is the opposite of her. He was a cute kid that became an ugly teen.

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-11-2022, 02:59 AM
Well, no. Her brother is the opposite of her. He was a cute kid that became an ugly teen.

No, he's exactly the same. The translation didn't make it exactly clear, but Chiaki is a 4th grade elementary Student. He's probably 10.

Japan uses 6-3-3, so there's no ambiguity when they say he's a 4th grader.

He got an insane and horrible growth spurt just like Sumika did.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-11-2022, 07:49 AM
Yup, they are the same. Cute as tiny kids, goblins in grade school. Unless the bro never grows out of his. We cannot be sure about it.

MFauli
Sat, 11-26-2022, 04:50 AM
According to LiveChart, episode 8 already released, but I can't find it anywhere. Anyone?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-26-2022, 05:04 AM
Raws are out. No Eng subs yet.

David75
Sat, 11-26-2022, 11:49 PM
Only raws ? Hard for groups that only record streams from CR and the likes with international subs and only slap their name on the files...

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-27-2022, 03:45 AM
This one was specifically in netflix jail, so it could be a while before they realize it is on again. There was a two-week delay as it stood.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-27-2022, 06:13 PM
According to LiveChart, episode 8 already released, but I can't find it anywhere. Anyone?Couple on Nyaa now looks like?

https://nyaa.si/?f=0&c=1_2&q=Isekai+Ojisan

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-28-2022, 12:08 AM
ROFL I missed this series.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-16-2022, 09:33 AM
Episode 10

----------------------

So when Ojisan came back he took the hoodie with him since objects disappear when they "die"? That's a shame.

David75
Sat, 12-17-2022, 03:40 AM
How would you rate subs ? Because freeloaders complain a lot about that for that show :D

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-17-2022, 05:07 AM
Seems fine, I don't have any major issues.

I only really complain about subs when:
-they look ugly
-or the cadence seems wrong.
-or the audible Japanese that I happen to understand doesn't match the written English.
-or I'm comparing two subtitle releases and notice their difference, then try to match it with the above to decide on accuracy or appropriateness.

MFauli
Thu, 12-29-2022, 05:26 PM
Episode 11:

"The Heisei era of depression", lol.

I guess episode 12 and 13 aren't out yet, right?

This anime is fun for sure, but I'm still sad it never left the "telling"-level and brought the isekai world's events into the current present. So much potential in bringing isekai characters to our world or Takafumi and his friends going to the isekai.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 12-29-2022, 07:15 PM
12 is out, 13 is delayed indefinitely, by covid, AGAIN.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-30-2022, 04:13 AM
I love the beast hoodie.

MFauli
Tue, 01-10-2023, 07:32 AM
Episode 12:

Sigh. Why does he have to be gay?

https://i.ibb.co/0BjQZH4/Unbenannt.png

neflight86
Tue, 01-10-2023, 09:07 AM
Just dense, remember? The nephew mentioned that he went disappearing about a year before "Tsundere" was a thing in (Japanese) media, and that's why he missed all of the signs- it's a running joke.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 01-10-2023, 09:08 AM
The guy only gets horny for SEGA.

MFauli
Tue, 01-10-2023, 09:11 AM
Just dense, remember? The nephew mentioned that he went disappearing about a year before "Tsundere" was a thing in (Japanese) media, and that's why he missed all of the signs- it's a running joke.

You don't have to understand the concept of Tsundere to pick up on when a girl presses her boobs against you like that, looking at you with such eyes ... >_>

DarthEnderX
Tue, 01-10-2023, 04:07 PM
The guy only gets horny for SEGA.Blaze Fielding and Tyris Flare are the only women for him.

Ryllharu
Tue, 02-14-2023, 04:33 AM
Episode 13 (finale) is scheduled to air on March 8th.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-05-2023, 07:57 AM
Episode 13 (finale) is scheduled to air on March 8th.

Just went and watched it.

One of those "go through the motions and give some closure" episodes. Light on the usual humour. It was a nice touch that all the girls decided to stick with their own version of Uncle's name. I'm still keen for S2.