PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Anime Season: Spring 2022

Ryllharu
Sun, 03-20-2022, 07:34 AM
New season basically starts in two weeks (some of three), so I'm going for it.

https://anichart.net/Spring-2022

Ryllharu
Sun, 03-20-2022, 07:52 AM
This season has a number of absolutely definites, but I think it is a little light on the maybes.

Definites:
SPY x FAMILY - Without question my most anticipated. The series is funny, has that rare retro styling we haven't really seen since like...Black Cat and some grungy grimdark crime series. The cast looks phenomenal, and Cloverworks are splitting the series into multiple cours to ensure they keep up the high quality.

Koi wa Sekai Seifuku no Ato de - My second most anticipated, also without question. This one really surprised me that it got an anime. This is Super Sentai (Power Rangers) romance parody. Yes. And it is amazing. The animation also looks particularly stellar. The comedic timing looks to have been preserved as well.

Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san - Another endearing romance in the vein of Sono Bisque Doll, Horimiya, and Nagatoro, this series focuses on character development between a fairly wimpy male lead and his 'way too cool' girlfriend. Not so much a beta and out of his league, but a lot more like Horimiya or a delinquent romance, just reversed. It is played straight, and sweet. If you liked Tonikaku Kawaii, you may like this one too due to the similarities they share in tone, but I prefer this series over Tonikaku Kawaii.

Machikado Mazoku S2 - I picked the first season up months after it aired, and it is really dumb, and cute.

Date A Live IV - Because I must.

Maybes:
- Kono Healer, Mendokusai - This seems to be pretty popular in the "teasing" genre, but the majority of those series fall flat for me within a few episodes.
- Deaimon - Slice of Life and maybe also coming-of-age cooking series at a traditional confection shop? I guess worth a try.
BIRDIE WING: Golf Girls' Story - This appears to be Hot Shots Golf, the anime. I just have to know.

edit:
I'm not watching the numerous continuations of series I dropped or never picked up. Like Bookworm, Shield Hero, Kaguya-sama, or Komi-san. There's a lot of prominent series this season.

MFauli
Sun, 03-20-2022, 08:46 AM
Let's see:

- Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 2 (I will hate it, I will watch it)
- Kaguya-sama Season 3 (super hype)
- Summer Time Render (good animation, looks intriguing. Blonde girl is ugly, though)
- Honzuki Season 3 (biggest show of the season for me. Loved everything so far, hope they make good progress)
- Aoshi (a good soccer anime would be nice after so long, but I hope there's not too much "cute boys" stuff)
- Dance Dance Danseur (Man, I'll give it a try, but 1.) "cute boys" stuff with lots of crying, ugh, and 2.) random line in the lower half of their eyes, why?!)
- Love All Play (why so many badminton anime now? Anyway, this one looks best yet tbh)
- Kyoukai Senki Season 2 (season 2 ended with a surprise, so looking forward to this)
- Isekai Quartet movie (woah what's that. nice)

So much comedy this season :/ Totally not in the mood for that. Also, what is it with Japanese writers creating stories where the hero becomes gay by force? Gaikotsu Kishi-sama turns the hero into a skeleton, yet puts a hot girl with him. It's Overlord and Slime all over again. Can these writers PLEASE leave their heroes' libido intact for once? But that would lead to, gasp, proper romantic developments. Can't have that!!1 /s

Probably gonna drop several of these, but 2 guaranteed great anime is already more than I could have hoped for.

Edit: Wow, Ryll, you're pretty much my anime-villain, lol. Polar opposites in taste ;D

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-20-2022, 11:46 AM
I'll be watching:

Shield Hero: Sure.
Love Is War: Fuck yeah!
Spy Family: I've heard good things
Komi Can't Communicate: Sure.
Yuusha, Yamemasu: Sounds fun

Gaikotsu Kishi-sama sounds exactly the same as Overlord...

Ryllharu
Sun, 03-20-2022, 01:03 PM
Edit: Wow, Ryll, you're pretty much my anime-villain, lol. Polar opposites in taste ;D

I would say it is because my tastes have evolved over time, but looking at the top 3 thread, it is actually pretty consistent for the last decade.

Shame I burned out on non-parody shonen and seinen series like...12 years ago.

MFauli
Sun, 03-20-2022, 01:30 PM
I would say it is because my tastes have evolved over time, but looking at the top 3 thread, it is actually pretty consistent for the last decade.

Shame I burned out on non-parody shonen and seinen series like...12 years ago.

I mean, I like a good comedy anime, but these are really rare imo. Kaguya is great, so I'll watch it, but for the rest .... I'll wait for your impressions. Not jumping into an unknown comedy series.

Kraco
Sun, 03-20-2022, 03:14 PM
Honzuki.

Spy x Family. I'll watch at least the beginning. Depending on how the anime adaptation feels like.

Tate Yuusha. I might watch or might not watch. I've been somewhat losing interest in the manga.

The World of Otome Games Is Tough for Mobs. One of my favourite isekai at the moment, so I'll at least have a look at it. It's interesting because the MC is both highly amusing and annoying.

There are a few other fantasy/isekai I'm familiar with, but I won't probably watch the anime adaptations. They are too mediocre as stories.

KrayZ33
Mon, 03-21-2022, 03:44 PM
Tate Yuusha (yay)

Kaguya Sama (yay)

This Overlord isekai sounds fun
And I guess I give this Otomege Sekai a try, just to see tsundere stuff.

and I'll at least give some sports anime a try.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 03-23-2022, 04:22 AM
Spy x family. Trailer was funny.

These look kinda interesting:
Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san
Kakkou no Iinazuke
Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
Deaimon

Aoashi - sports anime with Production IG might be good.

Some other series here and there that might be interesting but I probably won't try until some word of mouth incites my interest.

neflight86
Thu, 03-24-2022, 09:40 AM
High hopes for:

Spy X Family: Manga was great; series looks no worse

Honzuki no Gekokujou S3: With baited hopes that this season might finally see some more progress toward her goal of many books.

Tomodachi Game: Not seeing any trailers, I cannot speak for the production or adaptation, but the manga is a juicy treat for swindler style series, where no one can be trusted, and situations turn on their head from one moment to the next. Think Kaiji or One Outs. My dark horse hopeful, because Okuruto Noboru have only done middling isekai mush and game adaptations mostly.

Koi wa Sekai Seifuku no Ato de: What few chapters I read were very cute, fun and I suspect this will be a fun take on a Sentai rom-com. Bonus points for the main pair already being in a relationship as the series begins.

Kunoichi Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi: Another fun series from the author of Takagi (teasing) but with no teasing in sight. Cute girls doing ninja, with one of them (really) wondering what boys are like.

Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story: Looks absolutely ridiculous, in the non-self aware way I love anime to flaunt. Will probably be bad, but I will feast on the potential cringe of making golf hip, my fellow kids.

Will try but won't get my hopes up:

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai(s3): Will probably be good, but I am skeptical at how fresh this setup can remain at this point. I'd love to be wrong about that.

Kakkou no Iinazuke: How high can a harem really expect to go? I read half a chapter a while back and... can't remember much.

Gaikotsu Kishi-sama, Tadaima Isekai e Odekakechuu & Yuusha, Yamemasu & Otome Game Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu: All three are fant-i-seaki with demon lords, overpowered main characters, and small twists unique to each one, but the mangas all came off as pretty average. One is MMO-reincarnation, one a hero makes nice with the villains, and the last an otome game reincarnation, but as a guy mob character who steals the show anyway (and his awful/evil little sister is along for the ride). That market is well served this season.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari(s2): A standard power fantasy now that the relatively one dimensional conflict has been swept away and the shield hero is no longer ostracized- now the weight of intrigue rests entirely on the strength of the story.

Surely I'll watch more, but those are what stick out to me.

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-06-2022, 04:27 AM
BIRDIE WING: Golf Girls' Story - This appears to be Hot Shots Golf, the anime. I just have to know.
Okay...so it really is an unlicensed gritty anime version of Hot Shots Golf. And it is damn entertaining.

You really have nothing to lose watching the first episode.

This is good sports anime. Heightened reality (without suspending disbelief too much and plays itself absolutely serious while being slightly ridiculous), straightforward and simplified character archetypes to account for a presumably exhaustive cast, competitive and charismatic leads, the action is front and center, and closing out the first episode with initiating a rivalry from a chance encounter.

It's dumb and I already love it.

Kraco
Wed, 04-06-2022, 01:12 PM
Maybe Deaimon will be one of my favourite shows this season. I don't know why I paid it no attention when browsing through the list. After all, it more or less belongs to the same category as Aishiteru ze Baby, Usagi Drop, and Barakamon. Maybe the description didn't really make me realise it.

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-06-2022, 04:45 PM
Maybe Deaimon will be one of my favourite shows this season.
I'll be happy enough to appreciate that the voice actors for Kiritsugu and Irisviel are husband and wife again. :p

But the soft color palette is perfect for a series with this subject matter.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-06-2022, 10:07 PM
Kiritsugu and Irisviel are husband and wife again.

There is justice in this world.

MFauli
Thu, 04-07-2022, 07:01 PM
- tried Girl Golf, but the character designs are weird in a weird way, hard to say. And the 3d-course animation is kinda off-putting. Not my type of show.
- Love All Play or whatever the badminton anime is called, dropped. I can't stand these shy, borderline-gay heroes anymore. Especially in realistic settings. It's extra worse here in combination with the hot older sister, guy gives off some severe limp-dick vibes

David75
Fri, 04-08-2022, 09:26 AM
As a (mediocre) golfer I also have a lot I could, but won't say about birdie wing.
It's a bit strange how that episode is so different in tone/setting than the preview we had 2 or 3 months ago.
Could be that two or 3 paths to golf will clash.

Paripi Koumei: angrish songs is hard to listen to

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-09-2022, 04:17 PM
We have never had a thread for Date A Live. :(
I don't know if anyone else even watches it.

I'll make some more threads for different new series in the next couple days unless someone beats me to it.

MFauli
Sat, 04-09-2022, 05:28 PM
Dunno yet if I'll continue watching, so maybe someone else wanna make a thread about it. Anyway:

Dance Dance Dancseur episode 1:

10 seconds in and it shows how a kid became gay. lol, wtf at that scene.:D

And I still hate that random line in the lower iris of the eye. It's such a bs attempt at being unique, even though it's nonsensical.

I have one real problem with this anime now though: So they showed us the pinnacle of ballet in that opening scene ... and it wasn't impressive at all. Sorry, but even if it might be realistic, I expect anime to captivate me in a way beyond that. Welcome to the Ballroom did a much better job here.

Edit:

Watched "Ao Ashi" episode 1. Exactly what you'd expect from a soccer anime.Although it's kinda refreshing to have a hero say "yes, I know I'm an egotistical ass, but I own it and make no excuses about it, so gimme the ball and we'll win!".

The overall quality was nice, though, and I ended up liking the main character. Hm

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-12-2022, 02:04 AM
We have never had a thread for Date A Live.

lol, I assumed that this was an idol show throughout the years and ignored anything to do with it. I see that it's actually not an idol show.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-13-2022, 01:39 PM
You date so you can live. It wasn't the "live show" live but the "living organism" live.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 04-13-2022, 09:37 PM
MB doing his thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuJIjYFzZH4

MFauli
Thu, 04-14-2022, 05:48 AM
Watched Aharen-san wa hakarenai episode 1.

I can see the comedy and I'd like to like this anime. But I got to say: Listening to TWO quiet/monotonous characters for 20 minutes just makes me feel nauseous. :/ This show would be be better imo if the guy talked normally, more cheerful. He's introduced with having had problems with others due to his mean look, but instead of mean look, they should have made him look "normally", but have him "talk in a mean way". Then it'd be way funnier to watch the contrast between someone speaking loud and "mean" and someone barely audible and shy.

Will probably not continue this anime, even though I can see some goodness in it.

PS Oh, also I cal BULLSHIT on Aharen just casually grabbing his arm while walking, and later on even sitting on his lap. It has been established over the course of decades that even just hand-holding is a big deal. This kind of closeness (and I'm aware that figuring out how close to be with others is okay is Aharen's theme) is just unrealistic and made it feel like we're going in the ecchi-anime department.

MFauli
Thu, 04-14-2022, 05:20 PM
Anyone seen Summer Render anywhere?

DarthEnderX
Thu, 04-14-2022, 08:37 PM
Watched Aharen-san wa hakarenai episode 1.

I can see the comedy and I'd like to like this anime. But I got to say: Listening to TWO quiet/monotonous characters for 20 minutes just makes me feel nauseous. :/ This show would be be better imo if the guy talked normally, more cheerful.It's JUST Komi Can't Communicate again, but not as good.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-14-2022, 09:18 PM
It's JUST Komi Can't Communicate again, but not as good. for lolicons.

Fixed that for you.

Kraco
Thu, 04-14-2022, 11:43 PM
I read the Aharen manga. I can't remember if the manga ended already or if I randomly stopped reading at some point. In fact, apart from the basic setting/characters, I barely remember anything much from the series. Nevertheless, I did read it considerably longer than Komi, which I dropped after just a few chapters.

MFauli
Fri, 04-15-2022, 03:54 AM
Fixed that for you.

Guys, you're both scum for fapping to underage school girls :)

/jk

DarthEnderX
Fri, 04-15-2022, 07:08 AM
Aharen doesn't have a Najimi yet to carry the show.

MFauli
Fri, 04-15-2022, 10:42 AM
Ok, I read up on what's going on with Summer Time Render:

Apparently, the anime is airing exclusively on Disney+ Japan, so not even Disney+ worldwide. That means there is not official sub as of yet and apparently Disney will take a little longer for that. Which means our best bet is to wait for good ol' fashioned fansubbing.

MFauli
Fri, 04-15-2022, 05:04 PM
Gunjou no Fanfare episode 1:

I'll have to watch another episode before deciding to make a thread or not. Was actually quite fun to watch. I just had to laugh: The reason I gave this a try was because of Hiroyuki Sawano. So what scene did his music start playing? When the late guy caught Yu while falling, pink colors in the background, and him being hold like a bride. ROFL. Now I wonder whether this is a full-on yaoi show or not, but I'd watch it either way.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-15-2022, 08:59 PM
I can't watch yaoi shows. I used to watch yuri shows but not anymore.

Kraco
Sat, 04-16-2022, 01:27 AM
I couldn't watch yaoi, or even mere shounen-ai. The closest thing I've ever watched was Kyou Kara Maou from 2004-6. And it was the kind of suggestive shounen-ai at best, where yaoi fans could imagine all kinds of relationships, even though they didn't really happen. Kind of like the Nanoha series for yuri. I know I've read a few short yuri manga over the years, but I can't really recall watching any anime. So, no thanks.

MFauli
Sat, 04-16-2022, 03:04 AM
I can't watch yaoi shows. I used to watch yuri shows but not anymore.

Watched episode 2. This isn't yaoi, at least not by now. Right now, it's at worst the usual "cute boys doing cute boys things" that you see in many anime, including this season's badminton anime. Maybe it'll get worse, but I'm willing to find that out. ;>

MFauli
Fri, 04-22-2022, 10:46 AM
@nefligh: Since you seem to have watched all new anime: which of the ones you saw do you think are must-sees?

Question goes to everyone, though. I could use one more anime, ideally some serious, non-episodic story. thx

neflight86
Fri, 04-22-2022, 03:32 PM
I can't speak for your taste, but the most quality-seeming series I've seen this season are Birdie-Wing, Spy x Family, and Healer Girl.

To pad out what I'd call the second string: Yuusha, Yamemasu, Tomodachi Game, Koi wa Sekai Seifuku no Ato de, and Kono Healer Mendokusai.

MFauli
Fri, 04-22-2022, 05:03 PM
I can't speak for your taste, but the most quality-seeming series I've seen this season are Birdie-Wing, Spy x Family, and Healer Girl.

To pad out what I'd call the second string: Yuusha, Yamemasu, Tomodachi Game, Koi wa Sekai Seifuku no Ato de, and Kono Healer Mendokusai.

Thx.
I'll stay away from Spy for now, might binge it later on.

Bummer that there's nothing serious of quality.

Ryllharu
Fri, 04-22-2022, 07:13 PM
Thx.
I'll stay away from Spy for now, might binge it later on.

Bummer that there's nothing serious of quality.

Why would you stay away from Spy X Family?

If you want something "serious" just watch Kotaro Lives Alone. I don't know why you're hung up on the tone being "serious" when some of the most rewarding series I've been watching recently have been slice of life or dumbass harem series. Simplistic in premise but deeper than I expected them to be. Even more surprising was they were series I scoffed at from the previews.

If anything, slice of life and comedy anime have been maturing at a considerable rate. It's long moved past "everyday life at a family restaurant" that end up being snorefests after they've worn out their welcome and "violent retribution for accidental infringement while being 'quirky'" that fit right in with 90s anime just weirder.

It feels like you're limiting yourself. Comedic anime has been better than it has almost ever been.

MFauli
Fri, 04-22-2022, 07:22 PM
Why would you stay away from Spy X Family?

If you want something "serious" just watch Kotaro Lives Alone. I don't know why you're hung up on the tone being "serious" when some of the most rewarding series I've been watching recently have been slice of life or dumbass harem series. Simplistic in premise but deeper than I expected them to be. Even more surprising was they were series I scoffed at from the previews.

If anything, slice of life and comedy anime have been maturing at a considerable rate. It's long moved past "everyday life at a family restaurant" that end up being snorefests after they've worn out their welcome and "violent retribution for accidental infringement while being 'quirky'" that fit right in with 90s anime just weirder.

It feels like you're limiting yourself. Comedic anime has been better than it has almost ever been.

Slice of life can be fine if it's more serious like Hanasaku Iroha, but if it's more on the comedy side like Barakamon, I'm just not in the mood for it.

I'll wait with Spy, because I'm not in the mood for the spy-theme, but I realize it's probably a high quality-anime, so I won't ignore it forever.

Ryllharu
Fri, 04-22-2022, 07:47 PM
Slice of life can be fine if it's more serious like Hanasaku Iroha, but if it's more on the comedy side like Barakamon, I'm just not in the mood for it.
The word you're looking for is "melodramatic" or if you want to be technical, not strictly coming-of-age, but Bildungsroman.

Therefore, you should be watching Deaimon.

MFauli
Sat, 04-23-2022, 03:45 AM
The word you're looking for is "melodramatic" or if you want to be technical, not strictly coming-of-age, but Bildungsroman.

Therefore, you should be watching Deaimon.

ok, thx.

character limit