PDA

View Full Version : Hakozume: Kouban Joshi no Gyakushuu

neflight86
Sun, 01-09-2022, 09:44 AM

"* Based on a comedy seinen manga by Yasu Miko.

Female police officer Kawai had enough of a career she wasn't even that into and was about to hand in her resignation, when the unthinkable happened—she met the new, female director of her station! And after spending a little time with this gorgeous role model, Kawai realizes that maybe she isn't quite done being an officer after all.

Source: Kodansha"

Genre(s): Seinen, Comedy, Slice of life

Probably my pick for best new show this season so far, I really enjoyed the first episode of public safety officers getting berated and verbally abused for doing their jobs. Enforcing law isn't always easy, and upset people can really lay into you for fines, so my heart goes out to Kawai's plight. The dynamic between her and the demoted CID officer is really enjoyable, and even the other supporting characters have depth and character worth sticking around for. Feel good moments are on point as well. The thing this reminds me most of from recent years is Nami yo Kiite Kure, in tone at least. I recommend you give it a try.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-09-2022, 09:59 AM
This felt like a very grounded version of You're Under Arrest.

It was more or less exactly what I expected it to be, which means it's good, but it doesn't particularly surprise or wow me. It felt more like crew from Wagnaria in the Working!! franchise without the romance. Or maybe Gokusen.

It didn't have that spark that Nami yo Kiite Kure had.

neflight86
Sun, 01-09-2022, 12:32 PM
I could see the Working comparison- I just compartmentalize handling criminal behavior as a different kind of customer service. Never saw You're Under Arrest. Was that 90's?

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-09-2022, 12:43 PM
Yes. An OVA series and then 51 episodes in the 90s, which are all really good. The box sets were pretty cheap when I got them. The later sequels from 1999 and the 2000s are all bad in their own unique ways.

You can watch most of the tv series on youtube now.

Ryllharu
Wed, 01-19-2022, 06:38 PM
Episode 3:

-----

The first half of this episode was deeply boring, but the second half made up for it.

The second half reminded me of the 2nd eps of Fire Force, where the respect for those who have passed along is held paramount and it has a nice emotional hit to it.

neflight86
Thu, 01-20-2022, 09:43 AM
Neither part bored me, but I agree the second half was much more interesting. Disillusioned youth never go out of style.

Agreed on both the respect for the passing, and the second Fire Force episode- it reminded me of as well. The son's recognition of his mother's suffering was impactful.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-30-2022, 04:15 PM
I think I'm gonna drop this.

It's not particularly funny, engaging, or entertaining. To compare it to something I did earlier, is feels more like the third season of Working!! when it started to grow particularly stale. A You're Under Arrest it most definitely is not.

The majority of it is humanizing the police, which is fine, rationale people should already recognize that it is just a job in Japan. or the When it isn't doing that, all the set ups feel like inside jokes that only other Japanese police would find really funny.

They're not really doing much other than exploring the day to day of being a cop in Japan. Kawai kinda hates her job and the tough parts of it. Fuji is a ball-buster and excels at everything. So the female leads don't really have much to their personalities besides a general demeanor while all the male characters are basically interchangeable which is hugely disappointing.

I guess this all makes sense because the author is a retired cop herself, but this feels more educational than it is entertaining.

neflight86
Tue, 02-01-2022, 10:29 AM
I feel ya. It is still plenty entertaining for me, though, and I always welcome more anime with adult characters in adult roles, so I'll stick around.

The (unspoken) suggestion that Dog-sama might just be frolicking was particularly cute. Some, or rather most, police work is pretty mundane.

neflight86
Fri, 02-18-2022, 03:25 PM
5-7

Some more fun shenanigans with reverse molestation shaming, police mixers, and an entire episode of establishing rapport with a witness to get them to open up for that almighty confession. Still entertaining, if not exciting.

neflight86
Tue, 03-01-2022, 04:52 PM

I liked the 'we need a woman to calm us down or this will continue to escalate' shouting match, as an unwritten rule. That made me chuckle.