PDA

View Full Version : Seijo no Maryoku wa Bannou Desu

neflight86
Sat, 04-17-2021, 08:36 PM

"* Based on a fantasy shoujo light novel series written by Tachibana Yuka and illustrated by Shuri Yasuyuki.

Sei, a 20-year-old office worker, is whisked away to a whole new world. Unfortunately for Sei, the ritual that summoned her—meant to produce a "Saint" who would banish the dark magic—brought two people over instead of one. And everyone prefers the second girl over Sei?! But this is just fine by Sei, who leaves the royal palace to set up shop making potions and cosmetics with her newfound magic. Business is booming, and this might not be such a bad life, after all...as long as her supposed Sainthood doesn't come back to haunt her.

Source: Seven Seas Entertainment"

Genre(s): Fantasy, Isekai, Romance

1-2

Our main lady was transported to an alternate world where her new occupation, after being passed over for being a saint and no way home, is to make potions with a little extra kick. I'm guessing this is a reverse harem show, but it is very pleasant in a quaint way like the beginning of Ascendance of a Bookworm. The overall tone is very gentle, and little is bound to jar you, but it is a nice little respite from all of the grim dark murder-thons this season. I hope the rude red-headed prince isn't a romantic interest/candidate down the like, as his character is jarringly pushy compared to the other male leads, but his character design suggests so...

It is a bit silly to me that no one in this world ever thought to use herbs in cooking, but I can forgive that if Sei gets to wife it up a little bit more.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-18-2021, 05:19 AM
I've seen some complaints that the series does short timeskips for Sei to do work or proceed along a set of events, and honestly...totally fine with it. Skipping the uneventful parts is efficient writing. It's nice sometimes for creative works to call it out so that we're not getting disoriented.

I'm a little baffled that her entire harem so far already seems to realize that Sei is the real deal, and not the other girl like the Prince thinks. This must be some political BS going on.

Sei makes super potions. Sei can make food that super powers the knights. Pretty sure that the guard captain noticed that her mere presence is driving off the monsters, just like the Saint is supposed to do.

Meanwhile the other girl can cast healing spells and is being coddled in the palace by the prince. They didn't really explain who the hell Liz actually is, but I'm guessing the new girl they're talking about at the academy is the other "saint."

It is a bit silly to me that no one in this world ever thought to use herbs in cooking, but I can forgive that if Sei gets to wife it up a little bit more.

It doesn't surprise me. Tomatoes were considered poisonous because they look like nightshade. The biggest thing that kept people from using spices in cooking is that they were expensive.
"A Germanic price table of AD 1393 lists a pound of nutmeg as worth 7 fat oxen."

Meanwhile, if herbs and potions are really the only medical application these people have, they're going to save them for that. Some herbs grow constantly, others are really only harvestable once per season and then are dried until the next crop.

It is a little ridiculous that they just never used herbs and spices and all the food is horribly bland, but I guess that's solved now!