PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Anime Season Spring 2021

MFauli
Sun, 02-28-2021, 10:22 AM
It's less than a month until the Spring season starts with Boku no Hero Academia Season 5, so let's do this.

Based on AniChart, I'll give these shows a try:

- Boku no Hero Academia 5 (yeah, I hated season 4, but if I'm bored I will probably keep watching. And get angry.)
- Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san (I'm following rev_say_desu's youtube channcel and wanna see what his favorite character is all about lol)
- Fumetsu no Anata e (trailer doesn't tell me anything, but looks kinda interesting. Unfortunately, all episodes drop at once, so this won't make for much discussion I guess)
- Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu S2 (can't have a season without a controversiol "i cant believe this isnt hentai" anime anymore)
- Zombie Land Saga S2 (first season was fun. Hope animation is better)
- Shaman King (I hated the original manga, but after so many years, I feel kinda nostalgic and will give this a chance. Never finished the story)
- Megalo Box S2 (sure. Although I have no idea why this anime needed a sequel lol)
- Hige o Soru, Soushite Joshikousei o hirou (generic romance anime, I'm in the mood for it)
- 86 (i have a hunch that this might turn out super boring and predictable, but whatever)
- Mars Red (I'll support this for the rare adult-featuring anime alone, but it also looks rather good)
- Shakunetsu Kabaddi (sports anime, duh ...)
- Kyuukyoku Shinka (isekai, duh ...)
- Bakuten (sports anime, duh ...)
- Super Cub ( yeah, I need some slice of life, too)
- Cestus: The Roman Fighter (synopsis sounds great ... then you watch the trailer and its CG, ugh. Let's hope the latter doesnt ruin it, scenario sounds awesome)
- Knights of Sidonia movie (apparently a new story following an alternative path, interesting)
- Neon Genesis Evangelion Rebuild 3.0+1.0 (I mean, it's slated for March again ...)

Continuations:
- Kumo desu ga
- Slime Tensei

I'm sure I'll drop a lot of the above after episode 1, but there's a chance it's gonna be another good season. Wait, Mushoku isnt there. Looks like it'll continue in July, meh :(

Munsu
Sun, 02-28-2021, 10:34 PM
86: Eighty Six is highly praised, so hopefully it'll be good. I haven't read it, but I believe shinta does.

https://anichart.net/Spring-2021

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level - should be a nice slice of life isekai if you like that kind of thing.

Eden's Zero - newest series from Hiro Mashima (Fairy Tail, Rave Master)

Shakunetsu Kabaddi - sports, so will give it a try.

How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord - never finished the first series. Didn't think much of it at the time, so probably won't get back to it.

Zombie Land Saga - didn't watch the first series, so won't be watching the sequel, is it any good?

Shaman King (2021) - will watch for sure, even if it's just for nostalgic reasons. I believe it'll be more faithful to the manga, since I think halfway through in the original it deviated. Many of the same VAs are returning, hopefully the new ones don't mess it up.

NOMAD: Megalo Box 2 - liked the first one.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched! - from Akatsuki Natsume (Konosuba/Hataage!)

Other than those observations, will need to check the rest to see what are they about to decide. Of course, will watch all the usual sequels like My Hero Academia and whichever other is returning.

Edit: Some more that will deserve a look from me...

This ones look to be the better ones:

To Your Eternity: Fumetsu no Anata e

Jouran: THE PRINCESS OF SNOW AND BLOOD

MARS RED

Shadows House

Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s Song

Full Dive: This Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Shittier than Real Life!

These others I may give a look anyways:

Tokyo Revengers

The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent

Dragon Goes House-Hunting

Cestvs: The Roman Fighter

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-01-2021, 11:06 AM
I don't see anything there that interests me except Hero Academia and the fact that Slime and Spider are continuing.

Also, look at that Spider poster with all those dumb fuckers I don't care about all over it!

Ryllharu
Sat, 03-27-2021, 12:57 PM
So I can keep track more than anything:

Koi to Yobu ni wa Kimochi Warui - This could be an immediate drop or I'll give a chance. Older guy creeping on a high schooler like she's his soul mate, but presented as a comedy. It seems to be well received as a manga...

Sayonara Watashi no Cramer - I've kind of been feeling a sports story recently, and girls soccer might be the change of pace for me to actually try another one. Depends on how much drama they inject it with though, since the last one involving volleyball went over so well.

Hige o Soru. Soshite Joshikousei o Hirou. - Bizarrely, yet another series this season where an older guy and a high school girl are brought together, this time with cohabitation. I'm honestly a little creeped out that this appears to be a theme this season, but this one seems to be the "deal with this situation somewhat more seriously, in a non-creepy way," in contrast to the other.

Seijo no Maryoku wa Bannou Desu - A shoujo isekai!

Slime Taoshite 300-nen, Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita - Iyashikei isekai. I read quite a bit of this as a manga, and enjoyed it, stopping when I heard the anime was in work. It's cute, light, and low stakes. Don't expect much to happen in this series aside from some gags. This is very much a Non non Biyori/Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou type slice of life, just fantasy instead of real life or scifi.

Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - Honestly, just seeing what all the fuss is about. I don't know if it will pass the three eps test for me though. Teasing series don't do much for me, and I dropped Tejina senpai because even at half-length, this type of series has a short welcome for me.

edit:
How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord S2 - The first season was trash, but it was okay trash and I did finish it. Might as well carry on.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 03-27-2021, 01:05 PM
Edit: Nevermind

KrayZ33
Sat, 03-27-2021, 01:37 PM
- Fumetsu no Anata e

seems to be the most interesting show next season for sure. But who knows how good or bad it will turn out to be.
I really like the voice actor of the "god" character in that show
Kenjirou Tsuda

- Hige wo Soru. Soshite Joshikousei wo Hirou.
sounds funny. I doubt anything romantic will come out of it but I'll give it a try.

- NOMAD: Megalo Box 2
that's a guarantee from my side, I liked the first one.

- Kyuukyoku Shinka Shita Full Dive RPG ga Genjitsu Yori mo Kusoge Dattara
preview looked funny and silly. Will try it out

- Seven Knights Revolution: Eiyuu no Keishousha
maybe. I thought it's related to the mobile game at first but I doubt it.
Will give it a few episodes

- 86: Eighty Six
probably. It sounds interesting for sure

- Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu
the first one was funny enough.

- Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san
maybe, depends on how crazy it is

-Boku no Hero Academia 5
that's for sure.

Munsu
Sat, 03-27-2021, 02:06 PM
86: Eighty Six is highly praised, so hopefully it'll be good. I haven't read it, but I believe shinta does.

https://anichart.net/Spring-2021

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level - should be a nice slice of life isekai if you like that kind of thing.

Eden's Zero - newest series from Hiro Mashima (Fairy Tail, Rave Master)

Shakunetsu Kabaddi - sports, so will give it a try.

How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord - never finished the first series. Didn't think much of it at the time, so probably won't get back to it.

Zombie Land Saga - didn't watch the first series, so won't be watching the sequel, is it any good?

Shaman King (2021) - will watch for sure, even if it's just for nostalgic reasons. I believe it'll be more faithful to the manga, since I think halfway through in the original it deviated. Many of the same VAs are returning, hopefully the new ones don't mess it up.

NOMAD: Megalo Box 2 - liked the first one.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched! - from Akatsuki Natsume (Konosuba/Hataage!)

Other than those observations, will need to check the rest to see what are they about to decide. Of course, will watch all the usual sequels like My Hero Academia and whichever other is returning.

Edit: Some more that will deserve a look from me...

This ones look to be the better ones:

To Your Eternity: Fumetsu no Anata e

Jouran: THE PRINCESS OF SNOW AND BLOOD

MARS RED

Shadows House

Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s Song

Full Dive: This Ultimate Next-Gen Full Dive RPG Is Even Shittier than Real Life!

These others I may give a look anyways:

Tokyo Revengers

The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent

Dragon Goes House-Hunting

Cestvs: The Roman Fighter

Added a few after watching some trailers.

- Seven Knights Revolution: Eiyuu no Keishousha
maybe. I thought it's related to the mobile game at first but I doubt it.
Will give it a few episodes

All I've read seem to say it's indeed from the game.

Kraco
Fri, 04-02-2021, 09:32 AM
I doubt I'll end up watching much more than those continuing from this season, plus "Isekai Maou". "Cestvs: The Roman Fighter" could be interesting, but from what MFauli said, if it's all cheap CGI, it might not work.

I'm reading the manga of "Hige wo Soru. Soshite Joshikousei wo Hirou". It's quite interesting, but not necessarily anything stellar or deep. Back at Mangadex, mods needed to keep removing comments when some people couldn't behave like civilised human beings. That was nearly as interesting to observe as the chapters themselves. I might or might not have a look at the anime. It's probably not the kind of story that would bring you back for a reread/rewatch.

MFauli
Fri, 04-02-2021, 10:38 AM
I watched Mars Red episode 1. Insane presentation, feels like a movie. Story and characters intriguing, but also tiresome. I had to force myself to finish the episode. Will watch another one before deciding whether I drop or not.

Ryllharu
Fri, 04-02-2021, 11:06 AM
Koi to Yobu ni wa Kimochi Warui is pretty funny after all. It's reads like a red flag in the description, but his behavior is clearly illustrated as horribly wrong.
I would wait until next week though, because whatever early premiere they did has a egregiously bad sound mix on the voices, as if they were recorded from each actor's apartments with a laptop. I hope it is just the one-off episode, and the normal broadcast eps are fine. It's seriously distracting and comes off really poor quality.

Or they were recording remotely or with some strange setup for the pandemic, who knows. But it is bad.

edit: It has a very Wotakoi (https://anidb.net/anime/13293) vibe. So if you liked that, you might like this.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-02-2021, 02:01 PM
It is essentially showcasing pretty privilege.

Ryllharu
Fri, 04-02-2021, 02:48 PM
It is essentially showcasing pretty privilege.
Elaborate?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-02-2021, 02:50 PM
His actions would normally get an unattractive male reported to the police and a restraining order, but since he is extremely attractive, his actions are just "disgusting".

fireheart
Fri, 04-02-2021, 03:59 PM
Haven't really been following or trying to watch anime for a pretty long time now, most shows I've just skimmed a bit here and there but watched a few first episode now without really knowing anything about any of the shows. It's nice not knowing ahead of time, it's a hit and miss but that feeling of discovering something is great. Mashiro no Oto is that show for me, a bit of humor every once in awhile, some serious topics and nice music. I think it hits especially hard now during the pandemic because it's easier to feel detached and empty so a show about rediscovering your passion and finding your color feels perfect.

David75
Sat, 04-03-2021, 02:56 AM
Watched ep 1 for these:
-Mars Red: Monster of the week ? probably. Was different, artistically tiring.
-Jouran: Gratuitious violence, even if not that graphic, is not my thing. I'm torn because I like the melancholy atmosphere around the MC.
-Koi to yobu: MC female does not have anything I can be interested in yet, male MC is obnoxious.
-Mashiro no Oto: for some reason I like shamisen and koto. The show did deliver more strings than the last koto show we had. That first ep felt rushed though. I don't even remember if we've been told male MC's age. Probably around 18.
Also the timing for the : " I told her I'd break your arm" scene felt bad.
Of the 4 shows, the only one I have at least 98% certainty I will follow till the end of the season.

MFauli
Sat, 04-03-2021, 04:03 AM
Kabbadi episode 1:

Whatever series. Very dumb sports. Does that exist irl? The whole chanting "Kabbadi!" while entering the opponent's half of the playing field is really dumb. But it does all the typical sports anime things, so I might keep watching if I'm really bored.

David75
Sat, 04-03-2021, 11:01 AM
Kabbadi sport is very simple, but you quickly understand that you need to have incredible amounts of strenght/speed/cardio/reflexes and stamina. And since the principles are very basic, strategies and fast decision making are crucial.
But IRL I think it works a little like sumo: you have many variants of almost the same thing and you are interrested only if you have passion and/or culture for the activity/sport.

That anime reeks of male hormones and sweat to the max.

I do not see myself watching it past ep3 for those reasons.

MFauli
Sun, 04-04-2021, 12:57 PM
btw does anyone know whats different about the new Shaman King anime? Is it literally just a better looking version or will there be content differences similar to the 2 versions of HXH and Fullmetal Alchemist

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-04-2021, 12:58 PM
The manga is long over, so it won't diverge like the original. Most of the original cast returned. Based on some untranslated previews I've seen, they intend to be completely faithful to the manga. Even down to the big heads, small bodies art style.

So FMA:B treatment.

Munsu
Sun, 04-04-2021, 01:39 PM
btw does anyone know whats different about the new Shaman King anime? Is it literally just a better looking version or will there be content differences similar to the 2 versions of HXH and Fullmetal Alchemist

I think it's going to be a faithful adaptation from the beginning.

From what I've read, the show will be fansubbed if not mistaken. The subs I intend to watch are going to release a better version later, so I'm waiting for that.

Personally don't have much expectations, will watch mostly for nostalgia.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-04-2021, 02:41 PM
Watching for Anna.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-04-2021, 03:01 PM
Watching for Anna.

Literally the best reason right there.

Though the doctor's storyline is worth it too.

The downside is the opening arc is weak compared to the later stuff.

Munsu
Sun, 04-04-2021, 03:03 PM
Watching for Anna.

Didn't want to say it aloud, but yes... main reason.

MFauli
Wed, 04-07-2021, 05:29 AM
Hige o Soru episode 1:

I really hate the premise. This kinda situation just DOES NOT HAPPEN irl. When an underage girl asks you to let you stay at your place, your first reaction would be to call the police. Her saying "but my parents hate me so I cant stay there!" is not a valid reason for you to do anything. If she's abused, she can tell child services. If she just doesn't like it at home ... tought luck if she's 14 or younger, but apparently she's 16 or 17, so she could leave from home anytime she wants, unless that's different in Japan. And the whole "sell my body" thing, wtf. Seek a job like every other 16yo who doesnt continue going to school!

And the hero must be the cringest gay guy ever. "Shes not my body type". Wat. Her body is literally perfect. And you have trouble finding a gf. You don't get to have standard higher than THAT, fucking lol.

Despite these negative words, I kind of enjoyed the overall atmosphere, so Ill give it the 3 episode treatment and decide then.

Kraco
Wed, 04-07-2021, 07:32 AM
Hige o Soru episode 1:

I really hate the premise. This kinda situation just DOES NOT HAPPEN irl. When an underage girl asks you to let you stay at your place, your first reaction would be to call the police. Her saying "but my parents hate me so I cant stay there!" is not a valid reason for you to do anything. If she's abused, she can tell child services.

That unrealistic setting is just something you have to accept with these types of stories. It's a fictional setting, just like in a shounen series with monsters suddenly appearing and high school kids needing to fight them to save the town. If he took her to the police or just ignored her (before or after talking to her), like would realistically happen, there wouldn't be any story.

MFauli
Wed, 04-07-2021, 07:54 AM
That unrealistic setting is just something you have to accept with these types of stories. It's a fictional setting, just like in a shounen series with monsters suddenly appearing and high school kids needing to fight them to save the town. If he took her to the police or just ignored her (before or after talking to her), like would realistically happen, there wouldn't be any story.

The issue is: I've seen many similar anime, except the protagonist is totally oblivious of the implications of taking in a stranger young girl. This guy, Yoshida, makes it overly clear that this is wrong and could get messy ... and then does it anyway. It makes no sense this way.

There are ways to do it even with taking reality into account. For example, she could have lied and told him she's living by herself already. Or her parents abuse her, but she cant prove it, so she needs a place to stay. Or blackmail him and say "if you wont let me stay here, ill call the police and tell them you assaulted me". So many way, both positive and negative.

But his "oh well, ill take her in anyway" atittitude was dumb. If at least he banged her. At 16, she'd be legal in Japan, right? Anyway. I'll see how this goes.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 04-07-2021, 08:35 AM
Watching for Anna.Googled who this was.

Every single google image, resting bitch face.

Kraco
Wed, 04-07-2021, 08:48 AM
You just said it: The only way for that to realistically work would be for the MC to be a scumbag fuckboy who just wanted to take advantage of her. Just like the dudes she has previous lived with, apparently. No amount of other plot devices would matter in a civilised, developed country, under such circumstances. It doesn't matter what she says, either, but she needed to say, more or less, what she did for her to be a victim kind of character with a decent personality. Your suggestion would make the series nothing but a run-of-the-mill hentai title. I'm sure you'll find ones with that exact story in great numbers out there.

You'd need to alter the setting considerably otherwise. One easy solution would be for those two to know each other previously, have some kind of family connection. If he then knew she comes from a really broken family, he might feel the need to take care of her for who she is, knowing that sending her back would be bad. That actually happens in RL, at least very temporarily, although still repeatedly. Usually the officials will get involved sooner or later.

There are plenty of series where an adult (or almost an adult) starts to look after a previous unknown kid. It's an exceedingly commonplace theme in LN/manga/anime. Sometimes it tries to be realistic with formal adoption/guardianship, sometimes it doesn't and the audience just has to accept it. For what's it worth, I actually like the theme, although I hate it if it ends like the Usagi Drop manga.

MFauli
Wed, 04-07-2021, 09:21 AM
You just said it: The only way for that to realistically work would be for the MC to be a scumbag fuckboy who just wanted to take advantage of her. Just like the dudes she has previous lived with, apparently. No amount of other plot devices would matter in a civilised, developed country, under such circumstances. It doesn't matter what she says, either, but she needed to say, more or less, what she did for her to be a victim kind of character with a decent personality. Your suggestion would make the series nothing but a run-of-the-mill hentai title. I'm sure you'll find ones with that exact story in great numbers out there.

You'd need to alter the setting considerably otherwise. One easy solution would be for those two to know each other previously, have some kind of family connection. If he then knew she comes from a really broken family, he might feel the need to take care of her for who she is, knowing that sending her back would be bad. That actually happens in RL, at least very temporarily, although still repeatedly. Usually the officials will get involved sooner or later.

There are plenty of series where an adult (or almost an adult) starts to look after a previous unknown kid. It's an exceedingly commonplace theme in LN/manga/anime. Sometimes it tries to be realistic with formal adoption/guardianship, sometimes it doesn't and the audience just has to accept it. For what's it worth, I actually like the theme, although I hate it if it ends like the Usagi Drop manga.

Actually, I have never seen an anime like this where the protagonist goes ahead and bangs the girl. It would have felt refreshing if he actually had taken her up on her offer. Considering she stayed with many guys before, shes basically a worn out slut at this point anyway.

That aside,theres just better ways to do it. Like, the guy could drive her home and if the parents are truly so bad, he could take her back with him. Or speak with the parents and offer to take her in officially. Anything, really, except taking in a stranger teenage girl thats on the run (whether someone seeks her or not doesnt matter).

MFauli
Wed, 04-07-2021, 03:01 PM
Mashiro no Oto episode 1:

That one was weird, but oddly relaxing and with that end I must keep watching. Although this mc does something I hate: "I have nothing" - yeah, except exceptional music skills which is actually something you can always fall back on both to make money and find friends. Oh well.

Not sure how I see the scummy bf. On one hand I hate him and I hate how both she and the mc let him stay around them so forgivingly, on the other hand I like that a "bad" character isn't immediatly thrown in front of the bus and might develop into a more interesting character in the future.

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-08-2021, 03:45 AM
Ishikawa Yui's performance in Seijo no Maryoku wa Bannou Desu is top tier. She's using a much more mature sounding voice than Mikasa in AoT or Violet Evergarden and it is incredible. So many of her roles have the same base sound to them going all the way back to her debut in Heroic Age; generally emotionless or gentle and wilty sounding.

But here, it's full of life and a really enticing level of charm and levity to her character that's really selling the series for me all on her own.

The fact that it's a shoujo isekai is just icing on the cake.

KrayZ33
Thu, 04-08-2021, 04:37 AM
Ishikawa Yui's performance in Seijo no Maryoku wa Bannou Desu is top tier. She's using a much more mature sounding voice than Mikasa in AoT or Violet Evergarden and it is incredible. So many of her roles have the same base sound to them going all the way back to her debut in Heroic Age; generally emotionless or gentle and wilty sounding.

But here, it's full of life and a really enticing level of charm and levity to her character that's really selling the series for me all on her own.

The fact that it's a shoujo isekai is just icing on the cake.

Is that show a shoujo-harem with 1 female and 4 male characters?
I can't find anything about this show other than what is on Anichart and it looks like a "1 girl and 4 prince-dreamboys" series when I look at the "supporting" cast and the trailer, and it seems like each one of them is too busy doing the "^_^" face infront of the lady to have any meaningful character.

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-08-2021, 05:04 AM
It is a shoujo isekai...so...probably yes.

Are shoujo isekais and shoujo re-do's always harems? Mostly.

Are 90% Garbage selection of them better than 90% of shonen isekais? Yes.

Kraco
Thu, 04-08-2021, 06:48 AM
Is that show a shoujo-harem with 1 female and 4 male characters?
I can't find anything about this show other than what is on Anichart and it looks like a "1 girl and 4 prince-dreamboys" series when I look at the "supporting" cast and the trailer, and it seems like each one of them is too busy doing the "^_^" face infront of the lady to have any meaningful character.

Your analysis/guess is 100% spot on.

There's a certain flaw (by design) in the series, which partially ruins it for me, personally, so I hesitate to watch the anime. I might have a look at the first ep to listen to the voice actors.

KrayZ33
Thu, 04-08-2021, 07:57 AM
Ugh.. okay.. juck.

it doesn't help that in these shows the male cast is often very pushy as seen in the trailer already, with the handkiss and stuff. I can handle 1 - but not like... 4 of them.
It's not intended for me, but I don't know how I could enjoy a show like that if the male cast is so "dreamy", how is someone supposed to build up a "relationship" with that character archtype.

I kinda like shoujo that isn't going in that direction as much... like "Orange" for example.

Or.. is that other female-isekai from like two season ago considered a shoujo show too? That one was fun... the one where she got reincarnated as the villain of her favorite novel-game.

MFauli
Thu, 04-08-2021, 08:21 AM
A handkiss is "pushy" to you? rofl

Kraco
Thu, 04-08-2021, 08:53 AM
It's not intended for me, but I don't know how I could enjoy a show like that if the male cast is so "dreamy", how is someone supposed to build up a "relationship" with that character archtype.

Lots of shounen series have plenty of dreamy girls flocking around the male MC, so I guess it's the same.

Or.. is that other female-isekai from like two season ago considered a shoujo show too? That one was fun... the one where she got reincarnated as the villain of her favorite novel-game.

I reckon most of the so called villainess series, plentiful in numbers, are shoujo or josei, but there have been some seinen ones as well. I bet shounen ones are there, too. With Mangadex down, it's considerably hard for me to check the various series I'm familiar with, so I'll just have to rely on my poor memory. Of course if you do have a shounen/seinen isekai series with a female MC, you won't as likely have the reverse harem going on, at least not nearly to the degree shoujo/josei would have. It's otherwise a harder sell for the intended male audience, who's usually not interested in a sausage party as a romantic thing. With the harem aspect lessened, the "dreamy" aspect will be reduced naturally.

Haha, yeah. According to my experience, in shoujo/josei, if the dude is handsome and dashing enough, sheer rape is nothing but a little bit forceful greeting. If the same happened in popular shounen/seinen, the author/publisher would receive death threats.

KrayZ33
Thu, 04-08-2021, 08:57 AM

Uhm....yes? Especially since he kneeled down in the trailer
It's quite literally a declaration of love in that case, especially if we consider etiquette in a medieval/pre modern setting.
And even when he doesn't, you don't really think a japanese person would give her hand in approval to be kissed just like that?
Which means the character usually *takes* it and kisses it (even though you are not even supposed to touch the hand with your lips) without the woman actually offering it.

Not to mention the implication itself - servitude, worship, reverence, adoration.
Way over the top in basically all scenarios other than a marriage proposal and very insincere.

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-08-2021, 10:23 AM
I reckon most of the so called villainess series, plentiful in numbers, are shoujo or josei, but there have been some seinen ones as well. I bet shounen ones are there, too. With Mangadex down, it's considerably hard for me to check the various series I'm familiar with, so I'll just have to rely on my poor memory. Of course if you do have a shounen/seinen isekai series with a female MC, you won't as likely have the reverse harem going on, at least not nearly to the degree shoujo/josei would have. It's otherwise a harder sell for the intended male audience, who's usually not interested in a sausage party as a romantic thing. With the harem aspect lessened, the "dreamy" aspect will be reduced naturally.
There's literally hundreds across all three languages, haha. The Villainess ones are most popular in China and Korea, the Life redo ones are popular in all three, and China has a special subgenre involving Bossy CEOs somehow.

In terms of seinen appeal? The strict separation doesn't really matter anymore, especially with so many series skipping magazine publication and going online. Three off the top of my head with reverse harem implications:
- Koushaku Reijou no Tashinami (Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter) is at the top of the list. The manga is in a seinen magazine. I really hope it gets an anime someday. There's a central romance, but there are a decent amount of admirers and otome-game style alternate options in the series.
- Bakarina (as mentioned above) manga adaptation is from a josei magazine, but has wide appeal. The spinoff "Hard Mode" series is online.
- A Stepmother's Märchen is online, so who knows, but it seems to have signifantly broad appeal.

But yeah, most are light smut, targeting female readers.

Kraco
Thu, 04-08-2021, 03:36 PM
- Koushaku Reijou no Tashinami (Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter) is at the top of the list. The manga is in a seinen magazine. I really hope it gets an anime someday. There's a central romance, but there are a decent amount of admirers and otome-game style alternate options in the series.

I was actually remembering that was seinen, but I checked it before writing my previous post. Any kind of romance is actually in the background, which is a 100% shounen/seinen characteristic and the total opposite of most shoujo. Josei can be a bit more flexible, but I doubt to the extent of Koushaku Reijou no Tashinami. That series is about court scheming, politics, trade, governance, spying, and such. If it was shoujo/josei, the female MC actually wouldn't be doing 10% of all the stuff she's doing now, having instead dudes all around her doing the stuff for her.

I'm happy the strict separation isn't as strict anymore these days, but there's still something there. I don't mind that. It's just natural.

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-08-2021, 04:16 PM
That series is about court scheming, politics, trade, governance, spying, and such. If it was shoujo/josei, the female MC actually wouldn't be doing 10% of all the stuff she's doing now, having instead dudes all around her doing the stuff for her.
You really need to start reading A Stepmother's Märchen and more modern josei/shoujo. They're not all passive otome game style with men throwing themselves at the protagonist. Looking into it further, KakaoPage that hosts the series, is almost entirely shoujo. But it certainly isn't a series that I'd call a shoujo anyway, definitely josei. Yes, it is a redo series and not a isekai, but all the same.

For example, Margaret as a shoujo magazine has always been full of active leads.

MFauli
Fri, 04-09-2021, 06:17 AM
Do we really not have a thread for Zombieland Saga? I was sure we discussed the first season. Anyway, just watched episode 1 of Season 2, the first half was whatever, but the second half managed to get to the sweet spot.

KrayZ33
Fri, 04-09-2021, 08:55 AM
double post

I'm pretty sure the search-function in this forum is busted and doesn't work anymore. I can basically not find anything at all if it's a little older.
Or maybe the standard setting has something enabled that I'm not seeing that prevents it from finding anything you actually want - like a timespan or something.

Munsu
Sat, 04-10-2021, 12:15 AM
double post

I'm pretty sure the search-function in this forum is busted and doesn't work anymore. I can basically not find anything at all if it's a little older.
Or maybe the standard setting has something enabled that I'm not seeing that prevents it from finding anything you actually want - like a timespan or something.

Not busted from what I can tell, just doesn't work the way you think it should. Like it searches posts, not thread titles (unless I'm mistaken), it's why when I create a thread I try to include both Japanese and English titles in the OP, so that the quick search function finds it. It's also why I try to include both as well in the thread title, but for Google optimization purposes.

In any case, doesn't seem like Zombieland was discussed in this forum... unless we lost the thread.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 04-10-2021, 02:45 AM
Man...this season is like a ghost town compared to last season.

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-10-2021, 03:29 AM
The first episode of this "Full Dive" isekai or whatever was actually fun.
I wonder how it will go from there, since I haven't even read the anichart article about it I didn't know what I was getting into and I was actually really shocked when the player got his first "title".

I wonder how the NPCs will react and more importantly, how that virtual childhood friend will be included in future episodes.
MCs VA was doing a good job too imho.

MFauli
Sat, 04-10-2021, 04:17 AM
Man...this season is like a ghost town compared to last season.

You mean you havent found anything you like? Or lack of new threads? I'm still waiting to watch some 1st or 2nd episodes before deciding that an anime is worthy a thread here. :>

MFauli
Sat, 04-10-2021, 12:32 PM
Nagatoro episode 1:

Dropped.

That's straight forward bullying. Nothing fun about it. Takagi-san was fun because it was clear that both enjoy each other's presence. The same isnt true here and I dont care about future developments. If this wasnt from the comedy-genre but drama, the boy would kill himself after that severe bullying. Fuck Nagatoro. I guess it's not a good idea to have interest in an anime only because some youtuber hyped it up. Shit series.

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-10-2021, 01:48 PM
That's straight forward bullying. Nothing fun about it. Takagi-san was fun because it was clear that both enjoy each other's presence. The same isnt true here and I dont care about future developments. If this wasnt from the comedy-genre but drama, the boy would kill himself after that severe bullying. Fuck Nagatoro.
While I certainly don't get the appeal of the "teasing" genre as a whole (just like NTR...why?!), Nagatoro-san does actually seem to be one the better examples out of them. So I do sort of understand all the hype and fuss about it now.

You missed the very obvious signs that Nagatoro-san likes her Senpai quite a bit in the first half of the episode alone. She waited for her friends to leave, she quietly looked at his manga draft, she obviously read the whole thing to show some level of interest, she tried to trick him into flirting with her right away, and when he failed and started to break down, she wiped his tears away and asked him to keep her handkerchief as a gift and then was surprised and blushed when he washed it and returned it. That's all in the opening segment. None of that stuff is strictly bully behavior.

She keeps seeking him out solo. Bullies work in packs for support, strength, and tests of loyalty. Especially girls.

She's clearly incapable of handling her feelings, and defaults to well...that.

MFauli
Sat, 04-10-2021, 02:47 PM
While I certainly don't get the appeal of the "teasing" genre as a whole (just like NTR...why?!), Nagatoro-san does actually seem to be one the better examples out of them. So I do sort of understand all the hype and fuss about it now.

You missed the very obvious signs that Nagatoro-san likes her Senpai quite a bit in the first half of the episode alone. She waited for her friends to leave, she quietly looked at his manga draft, she obviously read the whole thing to show some level of interest, she tried to trick him into flirting with her right away, and when he failed and started to break down, she wiped his tears away and asked him to keep her handkerchief as a gift and then was surprised and blushed when he washed it and returned it. That's all in the opening segment. None of that stuff is strictly bully behavior.

She keeps seeking him out solo. Bullies work in packs for support, strength, and tests of loyalty. Especially girls.

She's clearly incapable of handling her feelings, and defaults to well...that.

He cried, ffs. And we got to hear his mind. He was in deep, severe distress. It wasnt fun for him AT ALL.

Come the fuck on ...

David75
Sat, 04-10-2021, 03:16 PM
one on one bullying exists, even girls vs boys. Been there...

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-10-2021, 03:34 PM
Well I'm going to keep watching it.

Half an episode was more interesting from a character development perspective than two entire episodes of Uzaki-chan, aka, the most two-dimensional and intensely boring pair that possibly exists...(edit: and I stomached an entire season and a half of Umaru-chan, which while not a "teasing" series, had the same vibe with a whiny spoiled brat).

Kraco
Sat, 04-10-2021, 03:55 PM
Nagatoro episode 1:

Dropped.

That's straight forward bullying. Nothing fun about it. Takagi-san was fun because it was clear that both enjoy each other's presence. The same isnt true here and I dont care about future developments. If this wasnt from the comedy-genre but drama, the boy would kill himself after that severe bullying. Fuck Nagatoro. I guess it's not a good idea to have interest in an anime only because some youtuber hyped it up. Shit series.

I dropped Takagi-san at some point because I got annoyed by the dude never ever winning a single match of any kind, at least not in a manner where he would have realised he won, since he and Takagi were kind of playing different games. It's funny that if you have a look at the spin-off manga with the two living as a married couple with a kid, Nishikata is actually outwardly showing signs of PTSD.

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-10-2021, 04:21 PM
It's pretty obvious to me already that I'll watch Nagatoro till the end.

I like tsundere, and Nagatoro obviously has interest in MC... it'll most likely lead to change in MCs behavior too.
I'm pretty sure he'll get back at her at some point too. The first episode already felt like it would build up to something like that, and even did already - a little.
And that's where the 'dere' part will kick in. All in all I can already tell that this is most likely just a facade. It's anata baka to the extreme, basically. She seems to be written as a character that would get completely destroyed if Senpai actually told her or saw her do something slightly embarassing, or simply be a bit pushy. At least for a momet - a true Tsundere, as mentioned earlier.

And lets be honest here, Senpai meeting up with Nagatoro will actually do him good and we already see that Nagatoro doesn't truely want to hurt him and even adressed Senpais inability to stand up for himself or to even get angry at something..

In fact, so far I'm looking forward to that show the most out of all the ones I've started this season.
I'll probably start a thread in 1 or 2 more episodes if they remain as good as the first one.

Let's take a look at their interaction and what has happened.

First the manga-reenacting, her taunting him afterwards for not being able to go through with it
Then him drawing stuff, her taunting his inability to go through with, or rather, to do it properly, wussing out on some parts.
Both of these scenes included Senpai's hobbys and even then, he didn't have enough selfesteem to do or to stand up for what he likes, or to do it properly.
And then that very last scene were she told/asked him that he never gets angry about anything.
That scene itself also showed that she doesn't really want to actually "destroy" him mentally or anything.

I think these interactions were rather well "hidden" and tell a story behind the facade of a "weekly episode of character A messing with character B"-story... and that's quite interesting and I'll look forward to how the characters will change over time.

David75
Sun, 04-11-2021, 03:52 AM
You can sugarcoat it as much as you want, or expect what you want of what might happen next.
But this first ep was just simple and hard psychological bullying.
And nope, she's not a therapist trying to point his shortcomings and help him sort them out.
She's depicted as a malevolent person harrassing him, even the art is quite awfull in a very expressive and clear way.

I don't care if she becomes a better person down the line. She is a bully now and she's dangerous now.

MFauli
Sun, 04-11-2021, 04:23 AM
You can sugarcoat it as much as you want, or expect what you want of what might happen next.
And nope, she's not a therapist trying to point his shortcomings and help him sort them out.
She's depicted as a malevolent person harrassing him, even the art is quite awfull in a very expressive and clear way.

I don't care if she becomes a better person down the line. She is a bully now and she's dangerous now.

THank you. Feels really bizarre when people here defend her behavior. There just wasnt anything positive to what she did.

KrayZ33
Sun, 04-11-2021, 06:16 AM

The first ep was just some messing around. If that's considered bullying already, people have to man up.
MC is a wuss and he will die alone and secluded if this keeps up.
And I don't think a bully would point it out the way she did and confronting MC with his own behaviour like that and even point out herself that she has been pretty mean/messing with him if she didn't care.

You don't have to be a therapist to help people. It doesn't even have to be intentional in the first place.
And you saying she isn't helping him is just you saying it, but not actually what has happened in the episode itself, where she clearly did point it out and MC clearly acted accordingly to what is being laid out about him (Avoiding any confrontation whatsoever, not saying anything, not even clearly stating that she should get lost if he didn't like it)
The times where he mustered up courage, Nagatoro was shown to be visibly happy about it too.

During the drawing scene, where Nagatoro sat there for like several hours until he got over himself and decided to draw her.
Or when he wanted her name, for example.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-11-2021, 06:22 AM
THank you. Feels really bizarre when people here defend her behavior. There just wasnt anything positive to what she did.

If you're both going to ignore the tsundere clues, then that's on you. KrayZ33 and I both spelled them out.

The first ep was just some messing around. If that's considered bullying already, people have to man up.
He even noted the difference between how she's bullying him and how it went in the past. She's making him look at her, and softens up when he tries to retreat.

There's definitely mutual stuff going on. Her blush intensifies differently when she's harassing him and when she's trying to trick him into flirting, only to cover it up with more teasing.

MFauli
Sun, 04-11-2021, 06:27 AM
If you're both going to ignore the tsundere clues, then that's on you. KrayZ33 and I both spelled them out.

I'll ignore these "tsundere clues" as much as the protagonist did when he broke down crying. Thank you.

"Man up" - wow, pls never have children.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-11-2021, 06:47 AM
Since Nagatoro discussion should probably go to its own thread, I'll flip this a little then to bring it back up to a higher level:

Why do people like Uzaki-chan and hate Nagatoro-san? Why did people like Uzaki-chan at all?. I can't seem to find a good answer for the latter. Searching anywhere on other forums (since we don't have a thread) and youtube comments...the overwhelming majority of viewers seemed to say this:
1) Uzaki-chan is set in a university setting.
Oh wow, what a great reason. It's not a common setting, sure, but that's a terrible reason. There's better university rom-coms, there's really good high school ones, but there's good office ones too. They drink twice in the series. Oh wow. Love Hina was set in high school and university ronin ages, there's tons of underage drinking in the manga, and coincidentally, it is also a tsundere series and hasn't aged that well.

But most people say this one (and I assume they're actually directly related):
2) They see themselves in Shinichi "Blando McBlando" Sakurai, who's defining traits are: resting bitch face, introvert, and likes doing alone hobbies like playing video games. Slacker style clothing.
Don't take a degree in literature to see why the anime watching demographic is drawn to the series when this is the explanation they give. Vicariously living through male lead.

Like any dating-sim, a lot of viewers are putting themselves in the protagonist's place. One series, 'you' are an introvert that you immediately relate to because O.M.G "That's just like me!" who is being showered with attention from an annoying but attentive extrovert with big boobs. The other, 'you' are being bullied for being meek to the point that 'you' break down to tears.

I don't insert myself in fiction characters. Ever. That's why Uzaki-chan is boring as fuck with no character development to speak of, and Nagatoro-san is actually interesting.

MFauli
Sun, 04-11-2021, 07:05 AM
Since Nagatoro discussion should probably go to its own thread, I'll flip this a little then to bring it back up to a higher level:

Why do people like Uzaki-chan and hate Nagatoro-san? Why did people like Uzaki-chan at all?. I can't seem to find a good answer for the latter. Searching anywhere on other forums (since we don't have a thread) and youtube comments...the overwhelming majority of viewers seemed to say this:
1) Uzaki-chan is set in a university setting.
Oh wow, what a great reason. It's not a common setting, sure, but that's a terrible reason. There's better university rom-coms, there's really good high school ones, but there's good office ones too. They drink twice in the series. Oh wow. Love Hina was set in high school and university ronin ages, there's tons of underage drinking in the manga, and coincidentally, it is also a tsundere series and hasn't aged that well.

But most people say this one (and I assume they're actually directly related):
2) They see themselves in Shinichi "Blando McBlando" Sakurai, who's defining traits are: resting bitch face, introvert, and likes doing alone hobbies like playing video games. Slacker style clothing.
Don't take a degree in literature to see why the anime watching demographic is drawn to the series when this is the explanation they give. Vicariously living through male lead.

Like any dating-sim, a lot of viewers are putting themselves in the protagonist's place. One series, 'you' are an introvert that you immediately relate to because O.M.G "That's just like me!" who is being showered with attention from an annoying but attentive extrovert with big boobs. The other, 'you' are being bullied for being meek to the point that 'you' break down to tears.

I don't insert myself in fiction characters. Ever. That's why Uzaki-chan is boring as fuck with no character development to speak of, and Nagatoro-san is actually interesting.

I didn't watch Uzaki-chan. I watched Takagi-san. Takagi was always making kind-spritied jokes and the boy was confident enough to only see his losses as motivation to get back at her. The boy in Nagatoro is shy, introvert and after that first scene near-suicidal. If this wasn't comedy, but drama, he'd kill himself. Not so funny anymore.

This first episode was infinitely more awful imo than anything seen in Redo of Healer. In that anime, all the cunts are known to be terrible beings and deserve what's coming to them. If you want to Nagatoro-ize Redo of Healer, imagine an anime where the hero just goes around raping women, but not in the sexy hentai-way, but with them crying ,struggling, no moans, just bitter, desperate cries. That's what Nagatoro was for bullying in this episode. It wasn't funny. It wasn't cute. It was just HYPER REALISTIC bullying like people irl experience it everyday and some of us did during their time in school. To reply with "man up" is just gross, imagine telling that a rape victim.

I'm not saying this anime shouldn't exist. I'm anti-censorship. But I personally find it shit and won't be watching it, not when it's labeled as "comedy".

KrayZ33
Sun, 04-11-2021, 07:08 AM
"Man up" - wow, pls never have children.

Please don't talk to me about children or having children, you would be the last person I'd ask for advice.
Senpai is a complete wreck. He had all the opportunities to show some balls but since he never gets out of his shell, he didn't do so.
His whole upbringing was a colossal failure and not standing up for your interests is what gets you into the "bullied" position in the first place, especially when no physical harm is preventing you from doing it.
No one bothers shitting on you or messing with you if you constantly keep fighting back.
I'm not saying it's easy to do but that's what you need to do.
For you, it's obviously easy to accept the victim roll, which is quite ironic considering the duality of it all with the bashful and despicable behavior you show when you dislike a show or disagree with something.

"they are shit" - "it's bullshit" - "they don't deserve to live" Yada yada, etc. etc.

edit:
oh great, thanks for delivering that redo of healer comparison - it's almost too easy...

MFauli
Sun, 04-11-2021, 07:09 AM
Please don't talk to me about children or having children, you would be the last person I'd ask for advice.
That guy is complete wreck. He had all the opportunities to show some balls but since he never gets out of his shell, he didn't do so.
His whole upbringing was a colossal failure and not standing up for your interests is what gets you into the "bullied" position in the first place.
No one bothers shitting on you or messing with you if you constantly keep fighting back. This is a fact.
I'm not saying it's easy to do but that's what you need to do.
For you, it's obviously easy to accept the victim roll, which is quite ironic considering the bashful behavior and despicable behavior you show when you dislike a show or disagree with something.

"they are shit" - "it's bullshit" - "they don't deserve to live" Yada yada, etc. etc.

Nobody should have to do something not to be bullied. wtf

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-11-2021, 07:13 AM
I made a dedicated thread, let's move the discussion there.

KrayZ33
Sun, 04-11-2021, 07:13 AM
Nobody should have to do something not to be bullied. wtf

So what?
Nobody should starve either.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-11-2021, 07:14 AM
edit:
oh great, thanks for delivering that redo of healer comparison - it's almost too easy...
It's really weird that that has become the new baseline comparison for basically any series.

I wonder which website has an overly-detailed 10/10 review on it...

MFauli
Sun, 04-11-2021, 01:21 PM
Super Cub episode 1:

Yeah, dropped. I didn't hate it, but there's laid back and then there's this. The episode could have been as well about her making breakfast and just showing in detail how she buys groceries, puts stuff on the table, cuts the bread, smears butter and marmelade on it, fills milk in a cup, and so on. There's an audience for this, I'm just not part of it.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-11-2021, 02:45 PM
It's an extended Honda ad. Just like One Off was.

Bakuon!! was decent because it had more than one brand involved.

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-17-2021, 04:34 AM
People that know, know:

https://i.imgur.com/Y5TS58R.png