PDA

View Full Version : So I'm a Spider, So What? - Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Munsu
Thu, 01-07-2021, 03:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZE4ZZiXBQY

After a Japanese classroom was destroyed by a mysterious explosion all the students reincarnated as humans on a fantasy world except for a female student who had the lowest reputation on the classroom, she was reincarnated as a spider monster. Being the weakest monster on the dungeon she need to survive using all her human intellect and courage.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=21180

So I'm a Spider, So What? (Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?) starts tomorrow, and while I was quite worried when the first PV came out (couple of years ago I think), seeing this trailer got my hopes up. The CGI looks much better from what I can tell. I'm a big fan of the light novel, so hopefully this adaptation doesn't crap on it.

Admittedly, part of the charm and what makes the series good is the narrator, so it looks like they'll be keeping a lot of the introspection so that should help (I think). Other than that, hope the action is good and that they don't fuck it up like these LN adaptations usually do *crossing fingers*. I just know this is a hard one to adapt.

So in all, I'm quite excited now... though still being prepared for the worst.

#NaiWa~

MFauli
Thu, 01-07-2021, 04:27 PM
ok, that trailer was so dumb im gonna give it a try. But I already know ill be disappointed when she wont kill and eat her former classmates.

Munsu
Thu, 01-07-2021, 05:15 PM
ok, that trailer was so dumb im gonna give it a try. But I already know ill be disappointed when she wont kill and eat her former classmates.

Just skip it.

Munsu
Fri, 01-08-2021, 01:52 PM
Just watched the first episode, better than I expected... so hopefully it'll do good. Loved the OP/ED, and looks like it's not shying away from gruesome scenes, so that's a plus. Not a fan of CGI, but I didn't have a problem here. The original preview was incredibly bad, but I think this turned out good instead. "Nameless" was quite fun, hoping to see more sarcastic remarks in the future.

The other plot with the other reincarnations is going to need some adjusting to since we're getting a lot of name drops so it can be confusing and I'm not sure how much time we'll spend with them or how things are going to be balanced out, though didn't care much for how they were introduced... they seem boring for now.

One thing I'm unsure of is the MC moving her mouth while talking. I'm not certain she's actually talking, I think she's doing some internal monologue. But entertainment/fun wise, her moving her mouth works better I think. Maybe she think she's talking, while she's really not? I really don't recall if she has the ability talk as a monster, but seem they're capable of speech as we saw with the other pet monster.

But yeah, loved the OP.

Looks like it has 24 episodes announced, so that at least promises us that this is not merely a series to market the LN and we might get a decent adaptation of the story out of it.

In all, pleased so far. Hope you guys enjoy it some.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 01-08-2021, 03:30 PM
Fucking bullshit. Everyone knows slimes or rats are the weakest monster. Spiders have poison and web attacks.

Munsu
Fri, 01-08-2021, 03:38 PM
Fucking bullshit. Everyone knows slimes or rats are the weakest monster. Spiders have poison and web attacks.

Spiders are OP!

Well... maybe this dungeon doesn't have slimes or rats?

Kraco
Fri, 01-08-2021, 04:39 PM
I don't even recall the manga adaptation having the castle scene with human reincarnations, but maybe it did. It has been years, after all. Nevertheless, I suppose it would be useful to show how short a stick Kumo happened to draw. Underlining it by comparing the delicious looking dishes to Kumo eating the disgusting, poisonous raw frog monster was a nice detail.

The manga version is one of the more entertaining isekai I'm reading. I don't think I'll mind this anime either based on this first ep. Animating the spiders traditionally would have required a Type-Moon class budget, so I understand why it's so obvious CGI.

Munsu
Fri, 01-08-2021, 05:50 PM
I don't even recall the manga adaptation having the castle scene with human reincarnations, but maybe it did. It has been years, after all. Nevertheless, I suppose it would be useful to show how short a stick Kumo happened to draw. Underlining it by comparing the delicious looking dishes to Kumo eating the disgusting, poisonous raw frog monster was a nice detail.

The manga version is one of the more entertaining isekai I'm reading. I don't think I'll mind this anime either based on this first ep.

I'm trying to recall from the LN as well, not sure if they had first met in the school they mention they'll be just starting together or prior to it. But yeah, as you mention, I think part of it was to show the lavish lifestyle these guys have and their apparent important roles they should occupy in the future for humanity in contrast to the lowly monster that has to eat disgusting monsters and family members to survive.

One thing I'll mention, is that I don't recall (at least in the beginning) Nameless being so energetic and upbeat. Yes, she at times shows some excitement, but never got the vibe of happy-go-lucky I'm currently perceiving.

Animating the spiders traditionally would have required a Type-Moon class budget, so I understand why it's so obvious CGI.

Did you manage to watch the first PV? It was so bad that I have to think it was a strategy to set low expectations on the animation.

Anyways, the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hyDlt_yvv4

MFauli
Sat, 01-09-2021, 12:35 AM
First episode was okay. Her being fine eating raw spider corpse was a bit too rushed imo.

I just wonder how thin you can stretch the premise of the show. So far it's almost a carbon copy of Slime isekai.

Whatever, I'll watch episode 2 for sure.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 01-09-2021, 01:30 AM
So far it's almost a carbon copy of Slime isekai.I like that she's not instantly OP like Slime.

She even tried to copy Slime's Sage ability and it ended up being useless. :p

David75
Sat, 01-09-2021, 02:09 AM
Rimuru started from even below 'nameless'. And we've had a proper animation for his slow and long initial growth and learning process.
The main difference, after ep1, is that Rimuru had a very easy and full of OP level-ups cave because/thanks to Veldora.
It's probable Kumo will eventually be OP too, but it feels like the pacing will be a little different.
As of yet, that first ep didn't give me enough to really want to watch ep2.
I'll watch it anyway, but first ep was boring for my tastes.

Kraco
Sat, 01-09-2021, 02:26 AM
Did you manage to watch the first PV? It was so bad that I have to think it was a strategy to set low expectations on the animation.

Actually, I don't honestly remember if I did. Now that I (re?)checked it out, I can certainly see the problem. It looks like a Nintendo Switch game, or something. It's quite interesting how the studio was planning to build hype with such material.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 01-09-2021, 03:18 AM
The main difference, after ep1, is that Rimuru had a very easy and full of OP level-ups cave because/thanks to Veldora.
Yes. That IS the difference. Rimuru was essentially invincible by the end of the first episode.

Hopefully Spider takes a much longer time to get that way, if ever. Because that's the point when the story no longer matters, and you're JUST a gag series after that.

Munsu
Sat, 01-09-2021, 05:25 AM
Her being fine eating raw spider corpse was a bit too rushed imo.

I don't mind it for pace, but I don't recall it coming that easy when I read the LN, even though she was grossed out by it... I think they needed to do a better job of illustrating that plenty of time had passed, or that she was at her limits and at her wit's end for her to "indulge" in such an act. That's how I recall it, but my memory may be failing me.

Yes. That IS the difference. Rimuru was essentially invincible by the end of the first episode.

Hopefully Spider takes a much longer time to get that way, if ever. Because that's the point when the story no longer matters, and you're JUST a gag series after that.

So I'm a Spider, So What? is more of a Lit-RPG type of series where there's a lot of focus on the leveling up process, though it's pertinent for the full series, I very much doubt the anime can go the route of spending the same amount of time in that process, particularly early stages. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the first 12 episodes are focused on the grind as she goes about fighting stronger opponents.

As Slime is mentioned, for obvious reasons due to similarities, that story doesn't feature much of the struggle to get stronger, this one will do some power-leveling. Personally I enjoy that a lot, but at the same time i can see how reading (watching) a character power-leveling can be a bit dull as well. As I said, a lot of the charm of the series was the main character's narration/introspection and that should keep things entertaining if handled well.

Honestly, it's a shame that we're having So I'm a Spider, So What?, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, and Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation airing in the same season.

MFauli
Sat, 01-09-2021, 06:20 AM
I like that she's not instantly OP like Slime.

She even tried to copy Slime's Sage ability and it ended up being useless. :p

I mean, she awakens poison/acid immunity the moment she gets hit LOL. That's kinda op.

Munsu
Sat, 01-09-2021, 06:27 AM
I mean, she awakens poison/acid immunity the moment she gets hit LOL. That's kinda op.

Not immunity, resistance... but skill unlocked so probably a matter of time. That said, we don't know the rules of this world yet.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-09-2021, 01:00 PM
Rimuru gimps himself whenever he isn't using Water Slice. Have you ever seen it blocked? Me neither.

Spider is fun. It also helps that it's cute.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 01-09-2021, 02:55 PM
I think they needed to do a better job of illustrating that plenty of time had passed,Yeah, cause the spider segments kinda give the impression that the whole thing was taking place over, maybe, a day?

But then you get to her other classmates, and it's obvious they've been in their bodies for awhile now.

I agree. Though if that's normal for the world, then it's technically not OP as anyone can do it.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-10-2021, 11:11 AM
I assume this is following the novels and not the manga then. I understand the manga cuts a lot out, and even then it is a slow half-chapter monthly update.

Munsu
Sun, 01-10-2021, 11:22 AM
I assume this is following the novels and not the manga then. I understand the manga cuts a lot out, and even then it is a slow half-chapter monthly update.

Haven't read the manga, but I would assume the light novel will be the main source for the adaptation.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-10-2021, 01:01 PM
I enjoyed the first episode a lot, despite being utterly spoiled by asshole comments on manga sites (so I will obviously be refraining from speculating on plot or developments). That said, it doesn't reduce my enjoyment in this case, and has me looking forward to a lot of stuff based on the OP.

The acceleration of pacing over the manga will be welcome. That fight against the frog would have been months of chapters.

Seriously...so many asshole LN readers on manga adaptation comment sections the last few years. "Guessing" at the plot. Slime Tensei was spoiled for me the same way, again, thankfully without diminishing my enjoyment.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-10-2021, 01:10 PM
Months of fighting the frog? Inspired by Dark Souls.

Thankfully that isn't the case here.

Munsu
Sun, 01-10-2021, 01:49 PM
I enjoyed the first episode a lot, despite being utterly spoiled by asshole comments on manga sites (so I will obviously be refraining from speculating on plot or developments). That said, it doesn't reduce my enjoyment in this case, and has me looking forward to a lot of stuff based on the OP.

The acceleration of pacing over the manga will be welcome. That fight against the frog would have been months of chapters.

Seriously...so many asshole LN readers on manga adaptation comment sections the last few years. "Guessing" at the plot. Slime Tensei was spoiled for me the same way, again, thankfully without diminishing my enjoyment.

I haven't been reading many mangas, and honestly never a manga adaptation of a light novel that I recall, but it's the same with One-Punch Man with the Murata remake. Thankfully, there's not much to spoil there other than creating anticipation for things to come.

But yeah, outside of forums where things are usually better controlled, the net is littered spoilers everywhere and as you say, particularly in the comment sections of chapter releases of a manga.

I've seen a lot of talk about fighting the frog, but I honestly don't recall the fight from the LN lol.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-10-2021, 01:49 PM
@Buff:
The manga is published in half-chapters, monthly. The fights are very detailed. Like Munsu said, it's a LitRPG.

MFauli
Sun, 01-10-2021, 02:03 PM
I haven't been reading many mangas, and honestly never a manga adaptation of a light novel that I recall, but it's the same with One-Punch Man with the Murata remake. Thankfully, there's not much to spoil there other than creating anticipation for things to come.

But yeah, outside of forums where things are usually better controlled, the net is littered spoilers everywhere and as you say, particularly in the comment sections of chapter releases of a manga.

I've seen a lot of talk about fighting the frog, but I honestly don't recall the fight from the LN lol.

Tbh even that is too much of a spoiler for me >___<

But yeah, spoilers suck, especially when they're random and you cant defend against. I'm reading the Baby Steps manga that is still in the process of being translated and there were a few close calls. Fortunately the community is nice and puts warnings in the comments, like "be careful, someone spoils something below".

Munsu
Sun, 01-10-2021, 02:20 PM
Tbh even that is too much of a spoiler for me >___<

But yeah, spoilers suck, especially when they're random and you cant defend against. I'm reading the Baby Steps manga that is still in the process of being translated and there were a few close calls. Fortunately the community is nice and puts warnings in the comments, like "be careful, someone spoils something below".

I meant more in that One-Punch Man I don't care too much about the plot, so there's not much to spoil for me... I try not to enter the comments section much regardless. But in general I agree. More of a comment of how I view that particular series than resembling my stance about spoilers.

I know some blatantly spoil, even being sneaky about it, but since becoming a LN reader and having an awareness on how much I hate spoiling, it's honestly a difficult balancing act when discussing something and trying not to give too much away.

Thankfully, most of the things I discuss anime wise I've read the source material quite a while back, so many details of the beginning are a blur to me, so it's like watching something new for the first time.

It was quite tough in GW in the early years when we had more manga readers around, with Naruto/Bleach in particular. Though we've been a bit more laid back in recent years, we really do have some of the strictest spoiler rules around. I mean, in theory we don't even allow spoilers within spoiler tags, or warnings, or changing font colors, etc... just have to be careful on how we phrase things and discuss things.

MFauli
Sun, 01-10-2021, 03:03 PM
Hah, I remember those times. But it worked surprisingly well. I don't think I was ever spoiled Naruto by a manga reader. Unless they were sneaky enough to "predict" stuff. ;>

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-10-2021, 04:18 PM
I don't think I was ever spoiled Naruto by a manga reader. Unless they were sneaky enough to "predict" stuff.I remember all those predictions about Black Zetsu being a thousand year old alien lady...

Munsu
Fri, 01-15-2021, 10:40 AM
Episode 2:

Didn't enjoy it as much as the first episode, and have a bit of a gripe with the change in personality of the main character vs. the light novel from what I can recall. Here we have a seeming happy kind of character, but in the LN her personality wasn't that energetic at all (though her narration was a bit). Instead she was very sarcastic about things and how she viewed everything, also she suffered from more stress. Also, they removed her signature catch-phrase which she used often "nai wa"... at least I haven't heard it yet.

We're rushing through the grind so far, probably that is inevitable, but we don't get a sense of he struggles so far. Hopefully this pace works for the best.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-15-2021, 11:06 AM
If this grind ends up any slower I'd kill myself. I'm happy with this pace as an anime watcher.

I think I heard "nai wa" at least once this episode, but it could have been the OP/ED. It's certainly not "-datebayo" frequency. I too enjoyed this slightly less than the previous episode, but it's hard to say if that's because we're covering similar ground to ep1, or if I'm viewing this in comparison to other series.

Munsu
Fri, 01-15-2021, 11:52 AM
Just more the glossing over of he struggles more than anything, but it's inevitable.

David75
Fri, 01-15-2021, 01:42 PM
We got a better understanding of who's who, where they're from and how they are.
All in all the 'social structure' of the previous world/classroom has been kept in the new world. I'm not even sure the chibby dragon is an exception.

What feels strange is the contrast beetween our MC past life behaviour/character and now that she's a spider.
Or it might just be my interpretation of the two or three short scenes we've had from a past life.

Kraco
Fri, 01-15-2021, 06:49 PM
Maybe I should check the early manga chapters to see if she was so happy-go-lucky over there as well. However, she certainly wasn't any giant of intelligence, if memory serves, so maybe this is fitting in that sense, regardless of nuances. That being said, she's learning even in this anime. It's either learn or die, so of course she would be learning.

It's pretty funny to even suggest evolving routes to the pet dragon. Kumo needed to go through 10 level ups to get the first chance. Unless the dragon evolves just by eating and growing up, with no exp gain, I don't see how she's going to evolve at all by being a pet.

Munsu
Fri, 01-15-2021, 07:31 PM
Maybe I should check the early manga chapters to see if she was so happy-go-lucky over there as well. However, she certainly wasn't any giant of intelligence, if memory serves, so maybe this is fitting in that sense, regardless of nuances. That being said, she's learning even in this anime. It's either learn or die, so of course she would be learning.

It's pretty funny to even suggest evolving routes to the pet dragon. Kumo needed to go through 10 level ups to get the first chance. Unless the dragon evolves just by eating and growing up, with no exp gain, I don't see how she's going to evolve at all by being a pet.

If you do, report back... maybe what's missing for me is the sarcastic aspect. I mean, I do recall her in the beginning being energetic at times, and also being pumped up with the whole RPG aspect of this life, but it was counter-balanced with the sarcasm and struggles she faces. Maybe missing those elements just lets us see the "happy" moments without much consequence or reflection when things don't go her way... and maybe some self-deprecating humor or astonishment at all the shit she has to face (here's where her missing catch-phrase usually comes in)? I mean, she often just says fuck it and goes with the flow, but not so cheerful about it I believe.

But honestly, I don't recall my earlier impressions all that well, maybe this idea of her is more influenced by the more recent volumes. But regardless, if she's that happy-go-lucky or not, the other missing aspects that I feel counter-balance that I think are missing.

Or I can be talking out of my ass have it all wrong, who knows!?

Regardless, I like that we're seeing violent action.

And yeah, have to wonder how the pet dragon will level up... since she's just being lazy there. Regardless have to wonder, if they're a higher being, if they'll require more XP than a spider to level up and evolve.

Kraco
Sat, 01-16-2021, 07:10 PM
I reread a few early chapters of the manga and, honestly, it's quite difficult to say. She's not that different, but it feels like there's more tomfoolery in the anime. However, that might simply be the result of the anime being animated and voiced. Different media alone could affect the impression somewhat. Still, regardless of the reason, it does seem like Kumo in the anime might be a little bit happy-go-luckier.

Munsu
Sat, 01-16-2021, 08:51 PM
I reread a few early chapters of the manga and, honestly, it's quite difficult to say. She's not that different, but it feels like there's more tomfoolery in the anime. However, that might simply be the result of the anime being animated and voiced. Different media alone could affect the impression somewhat. Still, regardless of the reason, it does seem like Kumo in the anime might be a little bit happy-go-luckier.

Yeah, I think you pinpointed the issue... like she's coming off like more of a ditz. And it's like we're seeing just about every stray thought she has expressed. But whatever, not going to dwell much on that from now on, I'm sure once things get more heated some of that should be restrained... I think. But I miss some of the sarcasm, that's part of what made her a great narrating voice.

neflight86
Wed, 01-20-2021, 08:23 AM
Haven't started this season of Slime, but the two eps of this definitely feel adjacent in tone. Nothing too serious except for the snake battle, so the tension is low, but still enjoyable. I've more or less come to terms with the CGI. I hope she doesn't meet her classmates for a while, as there is no decent context to do so. I also like that the dragon is a bit repentant of her bullying, and her idle mind has drawn a karmaic connection to her pet-status, whether it be true or not.

Other students don't seem evil, and just living their best life now, along with elf sensei. So the isekai extended to everyone in that classroom, specifically? That seems so contrived, I would rather it not be explained going forward.

Kraco
Wed, 01-20-2021, 08:59 AM
I also like that the dragon is a bit repentant of her bullying, and her idle mind has drawn a karmaic connection to her pet-status, whether it be true or not.

That's kind of... "Oh, no! I was reborn as a dragon! Woe is me! Dragons are often the most powerful species in traditional fantasy and folklore, sometimes even worshipped as gods. This must be a punishment for the sins of my previous life!" If she wasn't a pet, she would live in the wilderness or a dungeon, so you might say the pet status is a big plus, although not for level ups. All in all her lamenting was nothing but self-pity, not even regret, if you ask me.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 01-20-2021, 03:16 PM
"Oh, no! I was reborn as a dragon! Woe is me! Dragons are often the most powerful species in traditional fantasy and folklore, sometimes even worshipped as gods."Unlike the MC, she doesn't strike me as the kind of character that would be well versed in fantasy tropes. The stuck up mean girl probably doesn't play a ton of DraQue. :p

Kraco
Wed, 01-20-2021, 04:57 PM
Unlike the MC, she doesn't strike me as the kind of character that would be well versed in fantasy tropes. The stuck up mean girl probably doesn't play a ton of DraQue. :p

Haha, true enough! I bet she would have liked to be reborn as a noble daughter, so that she could have been a villainess. She would have loved to bully an innocent commoner girl, who somehow could join an academy traditionally only open for nobles.

KrayZ33
Thu, 01-21-2021, 04:45 PM
Hmmm. This show is interesting, but I kinda worry about what will happen or what the goal of this story is going to be.
In the end, she is a spider and even if she gets super strong, she won't really be able to live a normal life anymore, nor will she able to meet up with of her classmates who seem to have been turned into humans, mostly.

And basically, they have been in this new world for ~15+ years now?
Are we looking at 2 different points of time?

Spider Stuff = immeadiatly after what has happened in school
Human stuff = 15+ years later?

Munsu
Thu, 01-21-2021, 05:47 PM
Hmmm. This show is interesting, but I kinda worry about what will happen or what the goal of this story is going to be.
In the end, she is a spider and even if she gets super strong, she won't really be able to live a normal life anymore, nor will she able to meet up with of her classmates who seem to have been turned into humans, mostly.

Well, they have a pet dragon... so never say never.

Kraco
Thu, 01-21-2021, 05:56 PM
Aren't the other students plus teacher also looking for the still missing reincarnators? The pet dragon has already showed them the result might be something else than a human as well. So, it's indeed excellent luck for Kumo that the pet dragon is there. But then again, Kumo herself would have no idea the others did reincarnate. I guess it would be 50-50 for her, to either think about it or not. One thing is sure, however: She might not want to live the rest of her life eating poisonous frogs like a real spider.

Ryllharu
Thu, 01-21-2021, 07:47 PM
For all she knows, her classmates hatched right along side her.

Munsu
Thu, 01-21-2021, 07:49 PM
For all she knows, her classmates hatched right along side her.

Maybe she ate one (Kin Eater).

DarthEnderX
Thu, 01-21-2021, 08:44 PM
She might not want to live the rest of her life eating poisonous frogs like a real spider.She gonna eventually evolve into some kinda Drider and become a Demon General.

Munsu
Thu, 01-21-2021, 09:44 PM
She gonna eventually evolve into some kinda Drider and become a Demon General.

Never heard of a Drider before, so this is some sort of D&D term?

https://i.imgur.com/DDp3PLl.jpg

DarthEnderX
Thu, 01-21-2021, 11:50 PM
Nso this is some sort of D&D term?
Yeah. I suppose the more universal term you'd find in anime would be an Arachne.

KrayZ33
Fri, 01-22-2021, 09:08 AM
Well, they have a pet dragon... so never say never.

Oh wait, she can *actually* speak? I thought the reaction of the human would've been different if he heard a spider talking to him.
They were just doing "grunting" noises and they were *really* weird compared to your usual voice acting in anime for scenes like that one, so I kinda interpreted it as "I am Spider and can't understand Human"

Munsu
Fri, 01-22-2021, 10:23 AM
Oh wait, she can *actually* speak? I thought the reaction of the human would've been different if he heard a spider talking to him.
They were just doing "grunting" noises and they were *really* weird compared to your usual voice acting in anime for scenes like that one, so I kinda interpreted it as "I am Spider and can't understand Human"

Well, it's either a skill or an inherent characteristic of higher species like the reborn dragon. Will have to check how the dragon was doing it to compare, but too lazy to go back and check.

At least that confirms that she's not talking out loud... or at least if she thinks she is, she just saying gibberish and we simply have access to her inner thoughts. Honestly didn't give it too much thought on that scene with the spider and the humans, good catch.

Kraco
Fri, 01-22-2021, 11:43 AM
Episode 3

- - - -

Now, for sure, I can say Kumo is a lot more foolish than in the manga adaptation. And I'm not a fan of that difference. In fact I reckon I'd drop this anime if it wasn't for those classmate parts that don't exist in the manga at all. Still, I guess I could always hope she becomes less foolish in this anime as well, making it more bearable. That being said, I can see the anime is cutting away material from Kumo's adventures to dedicate time to the classmates.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-22-2021, 12:15 PM
At the Episode 03 mark, Slime is better.

Kumo feels less like a story and more like watching someone play a game. The story is with the classmates.

MFauli
Fri, 01-22-2021, 01:08 PM
Episode 3

- - - -

Now, for sure, I can say Kumo is a lot more foolish than in the manga adaptation. And I'm not a fan of that difference. In fact I reckon I'd drop this anime if it wasn't for those classmate parts that don't exist in the manga at all. Still, I guess I could always hope she becomes less foolish in this anime as well, making it more bearable. That being said, I can see the anime is cutting away material from Kumo's adventures to dedicate time to the classmates.

Lol, opposite for me :D

I *love* how happy this spider is. This is so cute. Gives fat birb-feelings (Shield hero). I actually hated how the majority of the episode focused on the class - they didnt doanything interesting and it's dumb that the teacher died so easily, yet the students won. Meh. In-before arguments.

So about the spider scenes:

1.) Shouldn't she know plenty of small cravisses and holes where a littw spider like hers can hide from people? Baka kumo

2.) Actually, why hasn't she left the cave? Was that explained? If not, it's weird she'd prefer the creept, dark, monster-filled cave. Not that I can't think of reasons not to go outside, but it should be mentioned imo.

3.) The dragon at the end gives me the feeling that it's conscious. I can't imagine her defeating a level 39 monster, so I expect her to become friends with the dragon. Just my prediction, I don't know the manga.

Munsu
Fri, 01-22-2021, 02:44 PM
At the Episode 03 mark, Slime is better.

Kumo feels less like a story and more like watching someone play a game. The story is with the classmates.

Haven't watched the 3rd episode yet, but this series does in fact have a lot of grinding, particularly in the early volumes. Her story will arrive later indeed, but world wise the classmate's story serve that purpose to give us more insight into that world. But things should get more interesting sooner rather than later on her side of things, depending on the pacing... and honestly not sure what the correct answer is in regards on how to pace these portions.

1.) Shouldn't she know plenty of small cravisses and holes where a littw spider like hers can hide from people? Baka kumo

2.) Actually, why hasn't she left the cave? Was that explained? If not, it's weird she'd prefer the creept, dark, monster-filled cave. Not that I can't think of reasons not to go outside, but it should be mentioned imo.

3.) The dragon at the end gives me the feeling that it's conscious. I can't imagine her defeating a level 39 monster, so I expect her to become friends with the dragon. Just my prediction, I don't know the manga.

Many of your questions/observations should be explained eventually.

About the spider, is she actually that small? I mean, I would suppose there's a difference between a regular spider and a spider that's actually a monster. So while she's small, is she small enough to fit into small crevices? I don't know, animation wise she doesn't look all that small to me. Will go back to hunt the episodes where she meets the humans and compare how small she actually is. I think she was spotted fairly easily as it is.

Kraco
Fri, 01-22-2021, 02:50 PM
She's the size of a very large dog, I'd say. However, considering crevices and holes, her body shape actually wouldn't serve her well in escaping humans, unless she found a long tunnel, not a dead end, which would allow her to run normally but humans would need go through on all fours. Another option would actually be to use her ability to climb on walls effortlessly. Of course it would require vertical shafts or large spaces.

MFauli
Fri, 01-22-2021, 02:54 PM
A large dog?! I'd have said a small dog/large rat. Would also make sense in comparison to the snakes, unless those are giant snakes. And she was like below the humans' knees from my impression. "large dog' size would be a shocking revelation to me :D

Kraco
Fri, 01-22-2021, 03:29 PM
A large dog?! I'd have said a small dog/large rat. Would also make sense in comparison to the snakes, unless those are giant snakes. And she was like below the humans' knees from my impression. "large dog' size would be a shocking revelation to me :D

Haha, I think we just consider different dog sizes as large or small. Maybe it was medium dog size, then? I don't think the dungeon has any living creatures that aren't bloated in size.

Munsu
Fri, 01-22-2021, 03:45 PM
Watched quickly a bit in episode 2, I'd say the spider may be the size of a Chihuahua... I think this was pre-evolving, not sure if she changed sized some.

But who knows, could've been an animation miscue.

Kraco
Fri, 01-22-2021, 04:29 PM
At least in the anime, she's roughly the same size as the indestructible egg. The egg was roughly the same size as the adult man's torso, maybe a little bit bigger. So, yeah, not a big dog. A medium dog.

I checked the egg scene in the manga as well. Not much different. Still, that's a big spider, nonetheless, even if not gigantic like the mother spider.

Munsu
Fri, 01-22-2021, 06:33 PM
At least in the anime, she's roughly the same size as the indestructible egg. The egg was roughly the same size as the adult man's torso, maybe a little bit bigger. So, yeah, not a big dog. A medium dog.

I checked the egg scene in the manga as well. Not much different. Still, that's a big spider, nonetheless, even if not gigantic like the mother spider.

Maybe it was the angle that I saw. Regardless, it's not really a SMALL creature all told.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 01-22-2021, 09:05 PM
I was expecting more from her evolution based on the ED, but I guess she's not at that stage yet.

In fact I reckon I'd drop this anime if it wasn't for those classmate parts that don't exist in the manga at all.That's weird, cause I don't give a SHIT about those segments, and whenever they're on I just wanna get back to the spider.

But, anime has to waifu, so I just have to sit through that boring crap.

David75
Sat, 01-23-2021, 01:24 AM
I'm a bit tired of her cave slow grinding and she's still extremely weak compared to anything in that cave and humans.
I don't see myself watching this for a long time if the pace doesn't pick-up.
Her former classmates story was dull. Two key points were so poorly animated/framed I'm not sure what happened and why we got that result:
-teacher fatal blow: what was that, what attack did that, why did that dyno not fire that attack again at students ?
-chibi dragon vore: we had what, less thant 10/20 frames when she jumps and bites and she easily bites that monster that killed a teacher ? I could just accept she's that strong already and it seems the focus was on her being a monster and probably her fear of losing her humanity. But I'd like such an important scene to be better animated.

MFauli
Sat, 01-23-2021, 02:31 AM
Her former classmates story was dull. Two key points were so poorly animated/framed I'm not sure what happened and why we got that result:
-teacher fatal blow: what was that, what attack did that, why did that dyno not fire that attack again at students ?
-chibi dragon vore: we had what, less thant 10/20 frames when she jumps and bites and she easily bites that monster that killed a teacher ? I could just accept she's that strong already and it seems the focus was on her being a monster and probably her fear of losing her humanity. But I'd like such an important scene to be better animated.

Fully agreed.

Kraco
Sat, 01-23-2021, 05:41 AM
I was expecting more from her evolution based on the ED, but I guess she's not at that stage yet.

That's weird, cause I don't give a SHIT about those segments, and whenever they're on I just wanna get back to the spider.

But, anime has to waifu, so I just have to sit through that boring crap.

In fact I don't, either, find those classmate parts objectively speaking all that entertaining. It's just that the manga has made me invested in the story in general, so those parts that don't exist in the manga, they kind of feel like extras/bonus episodes for me, so I can watch them for the sake of learning more about the world. Kumo's own parts in this anime, however, feel quite a bit inferior to the manga, so I'm not enjoying them all that much. It's all about what I'm used to: I'm used to how she is and how her adventures are depicted in the manga, so the differences in the anime rub me the wrong way.

Munsu
Sat, 01-23-2021, 07:18 AM
I'm a bit tired of her cave slow grinding and she's still extremely weak compared to anything in that cave and humans.
I don't see myself watching this for a long time if the pace doesn't pick-up.
Her former classmates story was dull. Two key points were so poorly animated/framed I'm not sure what happened and why we got that

Agreed, the CGI was bad for this dragon. Made it comical.

result:

I believe it was some sort of breath attack, not sure if it was a different element than the fire one we saw afterwards which was indeed used but the student MC blocked it with his special sword or something. And if it wasn't, it looked like a major ability regardless. And I think it was going to use another of those moves again when the student MC saved the hot-blooded dude, but it was hard to tell.

That aside, it's not really about "using it again", if we see the stats from our spider, there are Magic Points and Stamina Points to consider, which seems to be integral to how the world works.

As for the chibii dragon, it looked quite nonsensical and that aside, agreed... it looked like an important scene which lacked better execution. I would like to go back and read this portion in the light novel, at least the chibi dragon attack and see how it happened. Feels she took it down too easily. For someone we've been assuming has been lazy and not leveling up, it seemed to kill that dragon with ease.

Other than that, I think it failed to ingrain the horror of the world to these students which seem naive to this point.

Honestly, show seems slow right now, but it really is trying to fit in a lot of content rapidly so that we may get more into the story quicker.

And man, was that teacher weak... hope that's not the norm.

She looked bigger in comparison to the humans in this latest episode.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-23-2021, 12:40 PM
The progress within the manga is so glacially slow, I will take anything that adds to the overall plot more.

David75
Sat, 01-23-2021, 03:35 PM
Thanks Munsu for the details.

Isekaļ slices of life from all classes of human and monster perspective with slow grinding... could it be a description of that show ?

Munsu
Sat, 01-23-2021, 04:33 PM
Thanks Munsu for the details.

Isekaļ slices of life from all classes of human and monster perspective with slow grinding... could it be a description of that show ?

I guess in part it could look that way, but we're still in the introductory phase... which indeed has plenty of grinding, at least from the spider perspective. There's always going to be a bit of that element, and a bit of slice of life... but without saying much, we should see plenty of action.

The only aspect I'm really unsure right now is about the humor because our spider had a funnier more sarcastic personality, I just hope we eventually get to see that side of her better. Since I said from the beginning, a lot of the charm (light novel wise) was how great of a narrator she was and I know that's hard to adapt. But we'll see.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-24-2021, 01:39 AM
The progress within the manga is so glacially slow, I will take anything that adds to the overall plot more.The problem with that is that takes the part I care about, Spider's progression, and makes it take even longer.

Instead of cutting boring spider parts and replacing them with boring human parts, just cut the boring spider parts and replace them with double spider progress!

MFauli
Fri, 01-29-2021, 12:46 PM
Episode 4:

Man, I just love this spider. You know, her beating all these stronger by herself is bullshit, sure. But I allow it because the alternative would have been some lameass "somebody coming to the rescue" or even worse "some contrieved coincidence saving her". So I prefer this Guts-100-men fight solution. Although I gotta admit: When she had half her body bitten off, surviving that and fighting on was a little bit too bs, lol. But ... I allow it!

Happy spider makes me happy.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 01-29-2021, 03:19 PM
That was a great goddamn episode!

She's using strategy to beat things above her level, so she's leveling so fast she's basically using leveling up like a healing potion. :p

Make sure to watch after the credits. Looking forward to her next form.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-29-2021, 05:31 PM
I'm just glad they covered all this in a single episode.

This was like four-six months of the manga, and the monkeys were annoying as fuck.

edit: I think I was right the first time, 6 months

Kraco
Fri, 01-29-2021, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I don't mind the monkey escapade being over in a single episode.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 01-29-2021, 06:56 PM
I'm just glad they covered all this in a single episode.

This was like four-six months of the manga, and the monkeys were annoying as fuck.Th-this is a monthly manga...right?

Munsu
Fri, 01-29-2021, 08:30 PM
Although I gotta admit: When she had half her body bitten off, surviving that and fighting on was a little bit too bs, lol. But ... I allow it!

Doesn't she have like pain resistance or something like that? She's been gaining quite a few resistances, can't recall... but if she does, that may explain some of it.

David75
Sat, 01-30-2021, 01:28 AM
So we'll get a full season of that slow grinding levelling ? Dropped...

MFauli
Sat, 01-30-2021, 03:24 AM
Doesn't she have like pain resistance or something like that? She's been gaining quite a few resistances, can't recall... but if she does, that may explain some of it.

When half your body is missing, I'd assume it's less about pain and more about ... basic function. 😅

Munsu
Sat, 01-30-2021, 08:47 AM
So we'll get a full season of that slow grinding levelling ? Dropped...

Not going to lie, we still have some episodes to go of the grind, but I don't think it'll go on THAT long... I think it's going fast paced in that regard to get into the more story-plot of the series sooner. But we'll see. But LitRPG is not for everyone and since she's basically in a 24/7 monologue right now it can get monotonous for some.

When half your body is missing, I'd assume it's less about pain and more about ... basic function. ��

You know, started reading a bit about spiders in general and it's quite something what one can find, some things that are happening here that we give credit to power-ups and skills and what not, may actually be real characteristics of spiders. For example, I don't know if everyone that levels up gets to go back to full health like our spider here does, but just as an example real spiders (at least some of them) are able to regrow their legs and probably other parts of their body.

And even if she feels pain, I mean, she was about to pass out as she mentioned, I figure the pain a spider may feel about losing limbs may not be compared at all with how a human would feel it, and this isn't even taking into account whatever skills/resistances she has gained along the way.

David75
Sat, 01-30-2021, 11:48 AM
I'm considering the actual pace and the level ups she needs to get to lazy pet dragon.
I might be wrong but the dragon our spider just met is not stronger that the one the lazy pet one killed in a single bite.
Spider is level 10, those dragons are level 31/37 from memory. Lazy pet could be at least 40, but probably more as that one felt like a simple low level physical attack. Not something elaborate and using several techniques combined with magic. Only core basic strength.

So we have at least 2 eps of pure boring cave grinding ? maybe 5? maybe till the end of the cour at ep12?
That's a lot more than I can endure :(
But I understand other profiles will love that show as is.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-30-2021, 12:16 PM
It's going much faster than the manga, but if LitRPG slow grinding is not for you, I would not feel bad about dropping it.

MFauli
Sat, 01-30-2021, 01:04 PM
I'm considering the actual pace and the level ups she needs to get to lazy pet dragon.
I might be wrong but the dragon our spider just met is not stronger that the one the lazy pet one killed in a single bite.
Spider is level 10, those dragons are level 31/37 from memory. Lazy pet could be at least 40, but probably more as that one felt like a simple low level physical attack. Not something elaborate and using several techniques combined with magic. Only core basic strength.

So we have at least 2 eps of pure boring cave grinding ? maybe 5? maybe till the end of the cour at ep12?

Give me more "pure boring cave grinding" if it's as great as this last episode <3

Munsu
Sat, 01-30-2021, 01:11 PM

Well, each time she evolves she resets to level 1... of that particular species. So that's something to consider. I'm not sure if she can continue leveling up a species if she doesn't evolve. I think she's currently a small taratect, on that regard I'm not sure if she can become a level 40 small taratect, so levels can be a bit deceptive... though maybe having high level is a sign that a species is intrinsically strong and allows you to level up that much.

Can't recall how stats change after evolving, but I don't recall her becoming weaker after evolving even if having a lesser level.

I just think more than the grind, that she's only there talking to herself with no interaction with other characters or humans may be making it more tedious, particularly if you're not invested in these types of stories.

David75
Sat, 01-30-2021, 02:34 PM
Well it's possible the higher the race, the more steps you need to level-up
And maybe the adjective is a multiplier of ten:
-small is 1 times ten
-no adjective is 2 times ten
-medium 3
-large is 4
-huge is 5
Or any idea that explains 10s for spider-chan, 29 for the humans in the cave, 17 for mantis or orher species, 31 for the cave dragon, 37 for the school outdoor training incident.

And you're right, monologue and no social interaction might not be my thing in anime.

Kraco
Sat, 01-30-2021, 03:07 PM
I refuse to believe the outdoor student training incident dragon was a tough one. The fight was lousy and just how fricking strong would the lazy pet dragon need to be to slay a formidable dragon just like that, huh? The students didn't look strong at all, no matter how you evaluate them. The training they were doing looked like nothing beyond very basic.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 01-30-2021, 04:07 PM
So we'll get a full season of that slow grinding levelling ?The entire reason I'm here.

Don't even know wtf you're talking about with "slow grinding". Went up, like, 5 levels in one episode in a giant cool fucking battle.

Spider is level 10, those dragons are level 31/37 from memory.That's because the level of one monster isn't the same as level 1 of another monster.

Remember that she already WAS level 10 once, and then evolved and that reset her back to level 1, without her getting any weaker. So a level 1 Small Lesser Teresect is stronger than a level 10 Small Teresect. So direct level comparison isn't really relevant.

Pet Dragon might still only be level 1(or was before she killed that dragon), but is an incredibly powerful monster type.

Give me more "pure boring cave grinding" if it's as great as this last episode <3
https://media1.tenor.com/images/a84b119df9a4092576da54db9f39089c/tenor.gif?itemid=5224958

Munsu
Sat, 01-30-2021, 04:08 PM
And you're right, monologue and no social interaction might not be my thing in anime.

From a LNs standpoint, it was not an issue (for me) because she's a great narrator (better than we've seen in the anime) and from the start I mentioned that this was something that was going to be hard to adapt.

I mean, I don't know if in the end this series will work for you either way, but internally I'd just hate to see you drop it before things actually develop beyond her monologues, but I understand why this wouldn't work for everyone.

David75
Sun, 01-31-2021, 01:53 AM
Okay I'll wait... maybe :p
@Darth: slow as she levelled up a number of times but still feels very weak if my assumptions are correct. And we have been shown no ways of comparing her to her former classmates. It's not even sure they'll meet before the end of the cour, eventhough we know they are trying to find everyone from that school.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-31-2021, 04:12 AM
@Darth: slow as she levelled up a number of times but still feels very weak if my assumptions are correct.*shrug* She just killed, like, 100 monsters that were all higher level than her at the start of the battle. Doesn't seem that weak to me.

It's not even sure they'll meet before the end of the cour, eventhough we know they are trying to find everyone from that school.Honestly, I was looking forward to there being some kind of racist conflict between them and her when they finally met again. But they ruined that by already giving them one of their classmates as a monster. So that's already a thing they know about and accept. Which defuses any of the tension.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-31-2021, 04:32 AM
*shrug* She just killed, like, 100 monsters that were all higher level than her at the start of the battle. Doesn't seem that weak to me.

That should have given her more levels.

Using the landside for situational advantage was smart, but I wouldn't call that strong.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-31-2021, 12:25 PM
She couldn't have done it without her crazy strong webbing, and tons of it. The fact that she has that is powerful.

neflight86
Mon, 02-01-2021, 12:17 PM
This is the first episode I've genuinely enjoyed from end-to end. If this level of action/spectacle is where this show is heading, I look forward to what's coming.

I'd hate the constant monologue if I didn't find her voice to be cute.

Munsu
Fri, 02-05-2021, 02:53 PM
Episode 5:

More of the same from the spider side, though we get a bit more technical on how the skills in this world work. Comedy wise, I thought this was quite on-point and enjoyed that aspect. From the other reincarnators' side, we see that the dragon chick is indeed strong, despite being low-level in her species, particularly when compared with our spider that has been leveling up like crazy. Also, it looks like there's an organization (religious fanatics) that hunt down people who have acquired the Taboo skills (or is it title?). Anyways, last scene after the ED looks promising, seems like we have a setup for one of the first real noteworthy engagements (monkeys aside)... at least I hope.

Ryllharu
Fri, 02-05-2021, 03:35 PM
It was definitely interesting.

I laughed hard thinking a lot of the skills she's recently acquired make her sound like she's becoming a demon lord, and sure enough, Level 1 Demon Lord got added to the list.

I kinda assumed she would acquire Gluttony after devouring that entire catfish and vowing to exterminate the entire species because they taste good.

As for the other kids which is all new content for me as a manga reader (which only follows Kumoko's direct POV with only a single side chapter thus far), the religious angle certainly is fascinating. She's not crazy, it sounds like she is literally hearing the voice of God in this world telling her what to do and how to act. "Murder anything with Taboo as a trait." Meaning Fei and Kumoko are both enemies of this world's God, and that aligns with Kumoko becoming a demon lord. So all the kids and their teacher actually grew up from birth in this world as well, they just retained all their memories from their past life. The one girl was tossed into a convent and has since gone full cultist...and coincidentally worships his brother as the human Hero.

KrayZ33 brought it up before, but it certainly would make sense that we're looking at different timelines, or at least everyone was reincarnated at different times. Fei seems to have been born more recently than the other students.
When is Kumoko's taking place then? We have to presume she's 'younger' than the other human/elven students.

His brother has entered the Labyrinth and all the way down to the layer Kumo's story is on right now. But is it at the same time?

MFauli
Fri, 02-05-2021, 03:46 PM
Timelines absolutely must differ, although I'm curious to find out why kumo has been born later, assuming she'll meet Julius next episode. Maybe she actually died multiple times and was re-re-re-re-etc-born? Lol

Also I LOVE how the battle theme starts out sounding like when Neo fights Agents in Matrix. Hilarious.

Kraco
Fri, 02-05-2021, 03:50 PM
Yeah, the dragon reincarnator indeed seems strong. I have to wonder exactly how. At least we can deduce the human reincarnators (and the dragon girl?) have been living in that world since their birth, though, so they obviously have a giant head start compared to Kumoko. How long has Kumoko been around? A month? In that sense, time wise, the dragon girl (what is she, Ryuuko?) being ahead is not so unfair, but it still doesn't explain how she gained experience. Nothing indicates she has been going out to fight strong opponents. Did she just level up by loitering and studying?

Based on the student's earth dragon fight alone, Kumoko should have a huge actual combat experience edge, if nothing else, should they ever meet. In a certain sense an intelligent monster with zero combat experience can be less dangerous than a more animalistic monster guided by instincts. Naturally a monster with intelligence and experience is the most dangerous of all. Although the dragon girl was highly effcient and decisive when she finally decided to fight.

The religious nutjob girl is annoying. Although when she started to talk about the taboo skill holder witch hunt, I was glad. Not only would she oppose Kumoko, she's even opposed to Fei (though she doesn't know it yet). That sort of conflict among them is jolly good!

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-05-2021, 03:55 PM
Her design works so well as a Nendoroid.
This was also an enjoyable episode.

https://i.imgur.com/GX3881o.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/x4nRHev.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/BHc3hjS.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/VCSdGBj.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/M1zvFa8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5AdBZnK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AvLLnTY.jpg

MFauli
Fri, 02-05-2021, 04:12 PM
OMG, that nendo is too perfect

DarthEnderX
Fri, 02-05-2021, 04:59 PM
Well, her new form is kinda goofy(little jester poofs all over it...), but it's still not the one she has in the ED.

She's not crazy, it sounds like she is literally hearing the voice of God in this world telling her what to do and how to act.Uh, yeah, that's the computer that talks to them when they level up/attain skills. She's just the only one too stupid to realize it's not god.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-05-2021, 05:19 PM
Well, her new form is kinda goofy(little jester poofs all over it...), but it's still not the one she has in the ED.

Uh, yeah, that's the computer that talks to them when they level up/attain skills. She's just the only one too stupid to realize it's not god.

Yeah but it give instructions, let alone tell you to kill people with certain attributes.

Munsu
Fri, 02-05-2021, 06:13 PM
Yeah but it give instructions, let alone tell you to kill people with certain attributes.

Well, add to that that it seems that there's a whole religion behind it, so not the only one too stupid mind you.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-05-2021, 06:53 PM
I meant to say that the voice doesn't tell people to kill Taboo users or give instructions - so I initially didn't even think that they were worshipping the Lvling up voice.

But now I see that that is indeed what they're on about.

Now for someone so devoted to the voice (and presumably the UI), not getting Appraisal just sounds dumb.

Munsu
Fri, 02-05-2021, 07:05 PM
I meant to say that the voice doesn't tell people to kill Taboo users or give instructions - so I initially didn't even think that they were worshipping the Lvling up voice. But now I see that that is indeed what they're on about.

Yeah, that's pretty much what they're doing... assuming they also hear the SAME voice. If you go back to the episode where they're doing magic target practice it becomes more evident that's her intention.

Now for someone so devoted to the voice (and presumably the UI), not getting Appraisal just sounds dumb.

Agreed, seems like one of the skills that should be prioritized, particularly if they have some sort of Inquisition going. But we really haven't learned much yet of how skills are acquired with skill points besides what we've seen our spider do, and also we don't know if everyone has access to the same skill set menu.

Ryllharu
Fri, 02-05-2021, 08:10 PM
We can assume there's some sort of interlocking skill tree. But I guess is it:

a) As stupidly intertwined as Shield Hero's or a handful of other power-fantasy isekai series, where only the protagonist is smart enough to figure out that if you get level 2 of these four skills that most people think are "useless," it unlocks level 1 of this overpowered skill that is otherwise hidden entirely?

b) Fairly linear and branches build on branches, but convoluted for how to acquire the base skill in the first place?

c) Do most skills only come from evolutions, and the pool increases with each evolution?
(In that case, what is the human 'evolution' path?)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-05-2021, 08:37 PM
Human evolution would be classes. Well known Mercenary vs Lesser Know Hero etc..

Munsu
Fri, 02-05-2021, 09:09 PM
Human evolution would be classes. Well known Mercenary vs Lesser Know Hero etc..

Well, wouldn't that be just "titles"? So within this system, not really an evolution as other species are doing, just gaining a title that may give stat/skill bonuses, just as other species seem to have... at least our spider and the dragon chick have manage to acquire titles. Not sure if they are the exceptions because of being reincarnations though.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-05-2021, 10:12 PM
Well since you don't physically "change" as a human as far as species etc go, you just change classes.

Titles would be achievements that you end up doing, like Kin Easter/Slayer, or Demon Hunter etc.

Classes would be actual categories that tie you to various kills and stats. eg Knight, Paladin, Wizard.

Within that group, you have qualifiers "Weak Knight" vs "Strong Knight"

You'd also have subcategories of knights "Lesser Knight", "Great Knight".

I suppose fame would be better linked with being a title that gives bonuses, as opposed to a class.

Munsu
Fri, 02-05-2021, 11:30 PM
Well since you don't physically "change" as a human as far as species etc go, you just change classes.

Titles would be achievements that you end up doing, like Kin Easter/Slayer, or Demon Hunter etc.

Classes would be actual categories that tie you to various kills and stats. eg Knight, Paladin, Wizard.

Within that group, you have qualifiers "Weak Knight" vs "Strong Knight"

You'd also have subcategories of knights "Lesser Knight", "Great Knight".

I suppose fame would be better linked with being a title that gives bonuses, as opposed to a class.

Well, since you mentioned "Hero" (a lesser known kind), that to me seemed to entail some sort of Title.

Now if we go by classes as you say, the way you mention it, then that's a possibility. That said, have we've been shown any human's stats yet, to see if they indeed have classes (within the system, not merely something you call yourself or role)?

DarthEnderX
Sat, 02-06-2021, 12:08 AM
I meant to say that the voice doesn't tell people to kill Taboo users or give instructions - so I initially didn't even think that they were worshipping the Lvling up voice. No, what I think is happening is that there is a regular-ass religion with a god that she was raised in. Then she hears the system voice and then goes "This must be god!"

And I DON'T think the voice is telling her to kill people. The way it seems is the voice tells her about skills, she sees one called Taboo and thinks "God is telling me this is taboo. So it's forbidden. So everyone that has it must die." because she's a fanatical psycho.

also we don't know if everyone has access to the same skill set menu.Are we sure the locals even HAVE the voice? Maybe the system is only accessible by otherworlders.

And even if they did, without our real world video game context, yes, locals would assume the system is a god.

Well, since you mentioned "Hero" (a lesser known kind), that to me seemed to entail some sort of Title.In JRPGs though, "Hero" is usually a class. Especially in Dragon Quest, which is the main influence for all these isekai.

Munsu
Sat, 02-06-2021, 12:18 AM
No, what I think is happening is that there is a regular-ass religion with a god that she was raised in. And as someone from another world, she hears the system voice and then goes "This must be god!"

And I DON'T think the voice is telling her to kill people. The way it seems is the voice tells her about skills, she sees one called Taboo and thinks "God is telling me this is taboo. So it's forbidden. So everyone that has it must die." because she's a fanatical psycho.

Went back to watch the scene, and you may have point. I was under the impression that it was a religion thing, but at no moment did she mention that the religion Followers of the Word of God itself banned Taboo, just a personal view of hers.

That said, we haven't seen the characters act as if the system voice is unique for them right? That would be something to look out for.

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-06-2021, 06:31 AM
No, what I think is happening is that there is a regular-ass religion with a god that she was raised in. Then she hears the system voice and then goes "This must be god!"

Good point, and makes a lot more sense than what I proposed.

It is a bit sad though that the other kids were like, "She wasn't like this at all before, it's because she was abandoned by her parents here right away who tossed her into a convent." While they're all princes and princesses and nobles and stuff.

I wonder how that makes their elven teacher feel? She's finding them somehow, pointing out that she's definitely missing a few.

edit: Sometimes it feels like Fei is the only one actually aware of how unbalanced things are across their classroom's reincarnation. The guy turned into a princess is like..."uh, well, at least I get to still hang with my best bud!"
Obviously Kumo does too, but she's completely isolated.

David75
Sat, 02-06-2021, 07:04 AM
Isn't Kumoko's name spoiler for anime only people like me ? unless this is just a practical name everyone uses now ;)

Feels like we could get out of that cave... at last !
Good food at last, though we have now ways to know how spider taste buds work.
Kumoko has speed nearing Fei's, now she needs to level-up all other stats.
But her cave seems to be the perfect leveling place... should she survive.

I wonder if the story will really play with what it means to be human.
Fei is an example, but we could also argue that Kumoko has to survive as a spider monster, won't she forget what being human means/feels like at some point ?
I think it was also a small point/question Ains had at some point in Overlord

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-06-2021, 07:15 AM
Isn't Kumoko's name spoiler for anime only people like me ? unless this is just a practical name everyone uses now ;)
Great news! "Kumoko" is an unofficial name, collectively used by the audience for convenience.

It's just 'girl spider'.

Her official credited name is 'watashi' or simply 'I/me' as the first person narrator.

Kraco
Sat, 02-06-2021, 07:34 AM
I definitely do think the religious girl is somewhat mentally broken. She's a good example of not being able to deal with memory retaining reincarnation. It wouldn't surprise me if she could deal with it so badly that it's the very reason she was abandoned by her parents. Maybe she started talking "nonsense" to the parents about Japan and whatnot, and the parents were worried and ultimately horrified enough to abandon her. They might have thought she's possessed. She's also the perfect candidate for religious brainwashing if she can't deal with reality and thus needs something extremely solid and unquestionable to rely on, which is typically a god/religion. Under such circumstances, it makes more than perfect sense for her to view the system voice as the voice of a god. Along the lines DarthEnderX said, she would naturally go out of her way to interpret everything she heard and saw from a point of view that reinforces the faith she needs for (psychological) survival.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-06-2021, 02:58 PM

She calls herself Kumoko-san in the ED as she sings.

David75
Sat, 02-06-2021, 05:32 PM
Didn't watch the ED entirely (or even just listen carefully)
As for the name, yes I knew the simple and befiting meaning :D

DarthEnderX
Sat, 02-06-2021, 06:26 PM
Obviously, she's going to remain nameless until she runs into Rimuru.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 02-12-2021, 11:06 AM

---

SPIDEY-SENSE!

Okay, that's the form from the ED, and it looks rad.

The split mind thing also explains another part of the OP and ED.

Munsu
Fri, 02-12-2021, 11:59 AM

---

SPIDEY-SENSE!

Okay, that's the form from the ED, and it looks rad.

The split mind thing also explains another part of the OP and ED.

Looks like there's a Demon Lord that hunts down monsters that get too powerful for her liking or not under her control, this episode seems to foreshadow what will happen as our spider keeps getting stronger.

With that said, is the Demon Lord and Hero related somehow, or can she manipulate events to make use of this Hero (who I assume is supposed to hunt her) to do her biding from the shadows?

Anyways, great to see more powerful characters introduced. At first I thought the Hero was after our spider or maybe after Mother, and honestly was hoping he'd be more powerful.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-12-2021, 04:12 PM
Who is "Mother"?

The jokes in this episode were on point. All the "Let me explain" parts were also done well.

The earth dragon's cute af. Just a big talking pet lazing around. :3.

Also, Kumoko's speed is now 1300.. that's pretty rad.

Munsu
Fri, 02-12-2021, 04:43 PM
Who is "Mother"?

The huge spider that lay the eggs she was born from, who was then eating them and tried to eat her.. She called her Mother or some such.

Also the monster spider that was killed in this episode was talking, interesting.

The jokes in this episode were on point. All the "Let me explain" parts were also done well.

The earth dragon's cute af. Just a big talking pet lazing around. :3.

Also, Kumoko's speed is now 1300.. that's pretty rad.

The delivery of the jokes have been better as has her sarcastic commentary. I thought the same with the dragon, and I forget how big she's gotten from when she began.

Honestly, there's some much visual and text input in this episodes, I'm really ignoring all the skills/stats as they're presented. It was something huge I paid attention as I was reading the LN, but can't be bothered with the anime.

Kraco
Fri, 02-12-2021, 04:50 PM
Anyways, great to see more powerful characters introduced. At first I thought the Hero was after our spider or maybe after Mother, and honestly was hoping he'd be more powerful.

Didn't he think the white spider's stats must all exceed 2000, yet he wasn't overly concerned about it? He's pretty powerful already. He could have killed Kumoko without breaking a sweat. Kumoko needed to give her all to beat the eel, whose highest stat was just under 900. Of course now Kumoko evolved, but is still far from the white spider.

Munsu
Fri, 02-12-2021, 04:58 PM
Didn't he think the white spider's stats must all exceed 2000, yet he wasn't overly concerned about it? He's pretty powerful already. He could have killed Kumoko without breaking a sweat. Kumoko needed to give her all to beat the eel, whose highest stat was just under 900. Of course now Kumoko evolved, but is still far from the white spider.

I'll just quote myself from the next post I wrote:

Honestly, there's some much visual and text input in this episodes, I'm really ignoring all the skills/stats as they're presented. It was something huge I paid attention as I was reading the LN, but can't be bothered with the anime.

I'm not saying he isn't powerful though, just that if he had this much trouble against this monster even with a full party, I would've hoped he was even stronger. I mean, usually heroes (sometimes along with party members) are on par or close to it to fight against a Demon Lord... or maybe this spider was THAT strong and that's why the Demon Lord got interest in it to dispatch it.

So maybe that's the context I wasn't considering, maybe this spider was special in its own right and could make even a Hero struggle.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-12-2021, 05:37 PM
He did have trouble killing it, and required a significant distraction.

For something with base stats of over 2000, it had pretty shitty durability though. Once its speed was nullified it was toast.

MFauli
Fri, 02-12-2021, 06:05 PM
Was that demon lord at the end even talking about that white spider? I thought she meant Kumoko, albeit it was delivered subtly. Or do you infer that from the white spider being distressed at some point? My first association was that the white spider felt Kumoko's presence, in a subtle way to hype up our favorite spider girl. Although being scared of the demon lord probably makes more sense.

Anyway, god, I love this anime so much. You'd think watching all the level ups and power stats being explained would get boring, BUT IT DOESNT. I could watch this anime for hours. If this was a real video game, it'd be super fun because of the fast pace and the lack of stupid grinding.

Although I gotta criticize Kumoko a bit: She really ought to stop fighting enemies that are several levels above her own. Like, it always ends well somehow, but realistically, that's not how you'd do things. For her, it's not a game after all. There's no shame in grinding on some lower level enemies.

Her new look that was teasted in the opening looks super cool.Really looking forward to the moment when she finally meets her past fellow students. ALTHOUGH: We talked about different time lines before, right? What if that white spider WAS Kumoko after all? That's why it could speak. Maybe that's her end form when the negative effects (that surely will become a thing at some point) of her proud/heretic/demon lord skill accumulate too much. God, that would be bitter if we basically got to see the end of the anime and then in episode 12 she crawls up to the location where Julius and his party were and the series ends like that. >_<

Munsu
Fri, 02-12-2021, 06:51 PM
Was that demon lord at the end even talking about that white spider? I thought she meant Kumoko, albeit it was delivered subtly. Or do you infer that from the white spider being distressed at some point? My first association was that the white spider felt Kumoko's presence, in a subtle way to hype up our favorite spider girl. Although being scared of the demon lord probably makes more sense.

That's a very good point, hadn't thought of that. It could very well be a red herring and the Demon Lord is talking about something completely unrelated.

Anyway, god, I love this anime so much. You'd think watching all the level ups and power stats being explained would get boring, BUT IT DOESNT. I could watch this anime for hours. If this was a real video game, it'd be super fun because of the fast pace and the lack of stupid grinding.

Although I gotta criticize Kumoko a bit: She really ought to stop fighting enemies that are several levels above her own. Like, it always ends well somehow, but realistically, that's not how you'd do things. For her, it's not a game after all. There's no shame in grinding on some lower level enemies.

Well, that's the point of the last few episodes. She fell to some floors of this dungeon which only have strong monsters. If she goes back to where she was she'll find stronger monsters, if she keeps heading to the upper floors (where she was at the beginning but fell from), she'll have to go through this magma level which is her natural enemy. Point being, there's not much lower level monsters around for her to defeat, she's had to rely on luck and wits to get by.

Her new look that was teasted in the opening looks super cool.Really looking forward to the moment when she finally meets her past fellow students. ALTHOUGH: We talked about different time lines before, right? What if that white spider WAS Kumoko after all? That's why it could speak. Maybe that's her end form when the negative effects (that surely will become a thing at some point) of her proud/heretic/demon lord skill accumulate too much. God, that would be bitter if we basically got to see the end of the anime and then in episode 12 she crawls up to the location where Julius and his party were and the series ends like that. >_<

Holy shit, she's dead!

MFauli
Fri, 02-12-2021, 07:09 PM
Well, that's the point of the last few episodes. She fell to some floors of this dungeon which only have strong monsters. If she goes back to where she was she'll find stronger monsters, if she keeps heading to the upper floors (where she was at the beginning but fell from), she'll have to go through this magma level which is her natural enemy. Point being, there's not much lower level monsters around for her to defeat, she's had to rely on luck and wits to get by.

Hm, I had thought of this world being like a video game, where enemies will respawn after some time, so Kumoko could just keep beating these ape monsters or feed of the lava fish monsters. But that's maybe too gamey, yeah.

Holy shit, she's dead!

Ikr?!

Although I wanna think of a happier option here: The white spider is a physical manifestation of Kumoko's split personality that was introduced in this episode. Basically, Julius defeated a mirror/clone of Kumoko. All assuming that we're witnessing different timelines.

Munsu
Fri, 02-12-2021, 09:19 PM
Hm, I had thought of this world being like a video game, where enemies will respawn after some time, so Kumoko could just keep beating these ape monsters or feed of the lava fish monsters. But that's maybe too gamey, yeah.

Well, those apes were too strong for her as it were, she was lucky to come out alive. Also it's not like she's particularly looking for strong monsters, some she couldn't avoid like this latest one.

Not sure about the respawn thing, didn't think of that, but I think you're underestimating the level of the ones she's defeated in the last episodes. That said, at least in the current floor she got the trick down of depleting their MP.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 02-13-2021, 03:53 AM
Future Kumo, Ghost Kumo...

Boy, you guys are reading a lot into the fact that the white spider looks like the same species as Kumiko.

Hm, I had thought of this world being like a video game, where enemies will respawn after some timeWhen monsters respawn in video games, it's normally assumed that those are different monsters replacing them. It's not the SAME monster coming back to life.

Kraco
Sat, 02-13-2021, 04:51 AM
Boy, you guys are reading a lot into the fact that the white spider looks like the same species as Kumiko.

Aren't they all the same species? They just evolve randomly every 10 levels. The gargantuan mother and Kumoko are still the same species, even though Kumoko has turned into different looking things a few times. It wouldn't surprise me of that whole huge dungeon only had a single giant spider species occupying it, with myriads variations. That being said, Kumoko hasn't really needed to fight other spiders that much.

MFauli
Sat, 02-13-2021, 05:01 AM
Omg, what if the white spider was Kumoko's child? 🙈 Although that'd only work if spiders could procreate asexually, as I doubt Kumoko would want to have sex with some spider, eww-lol.

Kraco
Sat, 02-13-2021, 07:24 AM
I currently believe there's no major timeline async between the human scenes and Kumoko. I have no particular basis for this, but since, I heavily assume, the humans (and elf) were actually reborn in the new word, just like Kumoko, they would have needed many years to reach a relevant level of development. Kumoko, being an evolving monster, apparently didn't. If she had gone for a different path, she would now be as big as a house, after all. So, they would now be kind of equal maturity wise. You might claim the students have double the mental age, but I'm sure it's not so simple or straightforward if you start from a baby again. They very much don't act like it, at least. Although I don't know how the elf teacher fits in. Did she reborn even earlier?

If the student scenes were from the past, wouldn't they be geezers if Kumoko ever meets them, like you'd assume she will in a story like this? If the scenes were from the future (they were born at the same time with Kumoko), it feels kind of pointless because it would take many years for them to be able to interact with Kumoko in a relevant manner, plus if Kumoko keeps up the current speed of development, she would be like a god compared to them.

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-13-2021, 05:02 PM
Aren't they all the same species? They just evolve randomly every 10 levels. The gargantuan mother and Kumoko are still the same species, even though Kumoko has turned into different looking things a few times. It wouldn't surprise me of that whole huge dungeon only had a single giant spider species occupying it, with myriads variations. That being said, Kumoko hasn't really needed to fight other spiders that much.

I kinda wish they did a better job explaining Kumoko's evolutionary tree. They didn't even tell us what the other option was this time, she just picked the first one she looked at.

The teratects get pretty big, and her mother is a huge teratect, but Kumoko keeps staying small like she discussed.

Munsu
Sat, 02-13-2021, 05:22 PM
I kinda wish they did a better job explaining Kumoko's evolutionary tree. They didn't even tell us what the other option was this time, she just picked the first one she looked at.

The teratects get pretty big, and her mother is a huge teratect, but Kumoko keeps staying small like she discussed.

I think she just saw "small" and went along with that regardless, which she has been doing at every evolution chance.

But regardless, if you go with a different evolution side of the tree, can you still be considered the same species?

Kraco
Sat, 02-13-2021, 05:57 PM
But regardless, if you go with a different evolution side of the tree, can you still be considered the same species?

That's actually a very good question, despite what I said earlier. I was only thinking of the genetics, but in fact originally a species was defined to be a group of organisms that can and may breed with each other and produce fertile offspring. Now, that's the real question mark what comes to those giant spiders. I believe Kumoko is already in the rare territory, so if she can't breed with the less rare ones, chances are she simply wouldn't find a spider-man to produce offspring with.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-13-2021, 08:36 PM
chances are she simply wouldn't find a spider-man to produce offspring with.

/cue disappointment-from-MFauli.

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-13-2021, 09:14 PM
One of the skills she's passed on a few times so far is "egg laying."

She may not need anything more than that.

...which is horrifying in its own way when you think about it. What other monsters can just acquire it?

Munsu
Sat, 02-13-2021, 09:45 PM
One of the skills she's passed on a few times so far is "egg laying."

She may not need anything more than that.

...which is horrifying in its own way when you think about it. What other monsters can just acquire it?

So you're telling me she has the ability to have infinite fried eggs, and no need to worry to hunt monsters for self-sustenance and she hasn't realized it yet!?

DarthEnderX
Sat, 02-13-2021, 11:27 PM
Aren't they all the same species?I mean, they all seem to be teratects, yes. But Kumiko looks much different now than she used to. She's got scythe arms and a spikey black shell.

The white spider looks exactly the way she does now only it's, ya know, all white. And it doesn't have her chibi face.

They didn't even tell us what the other option was this time, she just picked the first one she looked at. Yeah that bugged me too!

MFauli
Sun, 02-14-2021, 03:38 AM
/cue disappointment-from-MFauli.

Lol

Message too short blabla

MFauli
Fri, 02-19-2021, 01:21 PM
episode 6:

not sure if i like that administrator revelation. so they might literally be inside a video game? Now I kinda expect some dumb overarching plot.

also, it jeopardizes all the grinding and skill unlocking when there's some person that just randomly listens to players' requests and gives them what they want ... or might take away stuff unfairly. Hope it's being used carefully.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 02-19-2021, 01:57 PM
not sure if i like that administrator revelation. so they might literally be inside a video game? Now I kinda expect some dumb overarching plot.

also, it jeopardizes all the grinding and skill unlocking when there's some person that just randomly listens to players' requests and gives them what they want ... or might take away stuff unfairly. Hope it's being used carefully.Completely agree on both counts. Both of these things undermine huge parts of what I like about this show.

David75
Fri, 02-19-2021, 02:20 PM
I guess the professor/elf caping her students stats/skills might be a way to keep their profiles low so that they are not targets for those admins/players. Maybe explains some of the 4 reincarnated deaths ?
There's also the higher lever spider pruning we've seen last ep.
Some higher level users probably have very long range sensing and can kill anything going past some level to stop any threat at a very safe level.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 02-19-2021, 03:55 PM
I guess the professor/elf caping her students stats/skills might be a way to keep their profiles low so that they are not targets for those admins/players. Maybe explains some of the 4 reincarnated deaths ?Though, in a world for of dangerous monsters. It stands to reason that, statistically, some of them would just die growing up in it.

Kumoko herself is incredibly lucky to have survived when she was just starting out. If everyone else didn't come back as some noble or elder dragon, they you can imagine them just, like, growing up on a farm and getting sick and dying.

MFauli
Fri, 02-19-2021, 04:05 PM
but how does the teacher even know about all the students? apparently she knows about kumoko, too? and then wont tell the others about her, for "reasons" :/

Kraco
Fri, 02-19-2021, 05:09 PM
It's interesting the humans are already so high level, with so many skills. I guess merely growing up and training, going to school, and such gave them all that. They couldn't have done much else since this trip as well was only supposed to have weak monsters present. Kumoko has had to defeat real, relatively strong monsters to get where she is now, yet she's not necessarily stronger than the students based on stats alone. She might have weirder skills and a whole lot more battle experience, though.

but how does the teacher even know about all the students? apparently she knows about kumoko, too? and then wont tell the others about her, for "reasons" :/

Or she knows about everyone on the humanoid side, plus the dragon that's pretty obvious hanging around them. So, by the process of elimination she would know the rest have to belong to the monster side. This would mean she merely knows some of them were reborn as monsters but not exactly what they are.

also, it jeopardizes all the grinding and skill unlocking when there's some person that just randomly listens to players' requests and gives them what they want ... or might take away stuff unfairly. Hope it's being used carefully.

Not necessarily. Kumoko still has to grind. If there had been an evolving skill after Appraisal 10, she would have got it. But she still needed Appraisal 10. Unless there are other conditions, I'd suppose anyone with Appraisal 10 & Detection 10 will also get the new next level skill. And some juicy Taboo to go along with it. However, it's also possible few would fulfill the additional conditions, such as Taboo already at a certain level.

At the end of the day the new world is what it is, and we are only learning it bit by bit. It was very game-like from the beginning, though, so nothing happening here is a huge surprise.

Ryllharu
Fri, 02-19-2021, 07:30 PM

I would actually think more that the "Adminstrator" like whoever this 'D' is, cursed her, Cassandra (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra) style. She may know exactly where they all are, has been granted some degree of power to rebaseline them, but if she actually says anything other than, "It's a secret-desu~" they wouldn't believe her anyway. The evasive and roundabout way she was saying things when Schlain and Katia were probing her made it come off that way to me.

She is their former teacher. Perhaps she was granted with some powers to watch over them like she used to, since she said she feels responsible for them still. Kumoko bitched and got a new superpower, I bet if Oka had begged, or sobbed, or whined hard enough, she got a similar but doomed power.

Go too far over whatever "line" there is, and Oka is able to use her supervisor powers.

Kumoko is arguably much farther over the taboo line, she just hit Level 8 Taboo. I guess we'll find out how "taboo" being on the demons' side is, or if Kumoko and Fei really are across the line all on their own.

edit:
I guess the next question after that is will Kumoko and Fei get so powerful that Oka can't do anything to them because she'd have to physically or magically stop them first?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-19-2021, 09:52 PM
And yet despite all this she hasn't managed to figure out spell casting yet.

Vision powers were pretty cool but.

Munsu
Fri, 02-19-2021, 11:38 PM

Obviously, it's a secret.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 02-19-2021, 11:52 PM
I gotta say, I already love the interactions between the brains. This show needed that.

I'm excited for he going full Beholder with 8 eye beams!

At the end of the day the new world is what it is, and we are only learning it bit by bit. It was very game-like from the beginning, though, so nothing happening here is a huge surprise.Lots of isekai take place in game-like worlds without actually BEING video games. Slime, KonoSuba, Shield Hero, Girls in a Dungeon, etc.

David75
Sat, 02-20-2021, 01:12 AM
Since there's a video-game background looming around, it could be elf-sensei was playing said game prior to the collective death of that classroom ?
Also, numbers were only stating that one classroom. But since the incident felt like a huge explosion, or at least a wide area/volume catastrophe, the whole school body is dead I guess.
Would it be possible there's a comp beetween classrooms ? Former teachers being captains ? Or if not a comp, teachers have meetings and think strategies to find their students, protect them in that new world and groom them so that they can survive longer ?

Kraco
Sat, 02-20-2021, 03:50 AM
Lots of isekai take place in game-like worlds without actually BEING video games. Slime, KonoSuba, Shield Hero, Girls in a Dungeon, etc.

Yeah, but it still seems pretty funny that an isekai with lots of game-like elements would by some kind of subversion of what we know if it actually was a game, regardless of if it seemed to be a reincarnation/summoning isekai, not something entered as a game originally. It's far more strange, in my opinion, to have the usual game elements in what ought to be a fully functional, steady fantasy world. That being said, if the game world is your whole reality, is it still relevant to call it a game world, despite all the weird things like interfaces, experience points, system voice, etc?

MFauli
Sat, 02-20-2021, 09:28 AM
Btw was has always bothered me: Isn't the english title of this anime, like, REALLY bad? "So I'm a spider, so what?". Why is there a second "so" at the beginning? Wouldn't it sound much better if it was "I'm a Spider, so what?"?

English isn't my native language, so maybe someone else can chime in and say something. But to me, that "so" in the beginning sounds like a bad amateur translation.

Kraco
Sat, 02-20-2021, 09:53 AM
Btw was has always bothered me: Isn't the english title of this anime, like, REALLY bad? "So I'm a spider, so what?". Why is there a second "so" at the beginning? Wouldn't it sound much better if it was "I'm a Spider, so what?"?

English isn't my native language, so maybe someone else can chime in and say something. But to me, that "so" in the beginning sounds like a bad amateur translation.

I would barely know enough Japanese to buy ramen in Japan, so I have to ask: Are the "ga" and "ka" in the Japanese name related to your question? Like, could you say it repeats something in a similar manner to how the English title repeats "so"? If they are, then I'd understand the English title, although otherwise I fully agree with you. I guess, generally speaking, it's trashy looking on purpose.

Btw, there's another isekai series (no anime), called "Murabito Desu ga Nani ka?" Its English translation doesn't have the first "So", it's just: "I am a villager, so what?"

Munsu
Sat, 02-20-2021, 10:45 AM

Can't say if it's an accurate translation or not, but this little two letter word is very versatile, which can have multiple uses and meanings.

In the context of this sentence, if you read it with a bit of sarcasm makes better sense. Like the first part is like an "Apparently I'm a spider..." like pondering something absurd, then she goes quickly to "so what?" to accept it her happy go lucky way. That's ONE way to look at it.

But it's really not weird from an English standpoint, particularly if we give it a more colloquial use and trying to give it a more comedic inclination.

MFauli
Sat, 02-20-2021, 01:35 PM
I would barely know enough Japanese to buy ramen in Japan, so I have to ask: Are the "ga" and "ka" in the Japanese name related to your question? Like, could you say it repeats something in a similar manner to how the English title repeats "so"? If they are, then I'd understand the English title, although otherwise I fully agree with you. I guess, generally speaking, it's trashy looking on purpose.

Btw, there's another isekai series (no anime), called "Murabito Desu ga Nani ka?" Its English translation doesn't have the first "So", it's just: "I am a villager, so what?"

The "ga" here simply means "although" and the "ka" is the usual question-particle that's usually omitted in spoken Japanese.

"Kumo desu ga" = "Although I'm a spider"
"Nani ka" = "is something?" aka "so what?"

The "so" at the beginning of the english title just sounds bad. Dunno. If you guys don't think it's weird, I guess I'm wrong.

David75
Sat, 02-20-2021, 01:42 PM
Not a native English speaker, but I understand the "So I'm a spider" as "Oh, I'm a spider" with a notion of surprise. Then counterbalanced by the so what ?, leaning towards "so be it"

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-20-2021, 03:25 PM
Being overly focused on the title of a series where the protagonist gets excited about talking to herself and doing tons of chuuni things.

Nai wa.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 02-20-2021, 04:43 PM
Nai wa.

Weeb.

The title should be "I'm a spider, so what?" or "I'm indeed a spider, got a problem with that?" to make it sound more natural. The two "so"s sounds and reads wrong.

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-20-2021, 05:02 PM
Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, a whole lot of you seem to have a particularly strong aversion toward English's many empty or otherwise meaningless reduntant words and phrases that really just don't mean much of anything at the end of the day.

MFauli
Sat, 02-20-2021, 06:40 PM
It's just bad/wrong 🤷*♀️

If it was 'so I'm a spider, so what', i'd expect this in Japanese:

"Saa, kumo desu ga, nani ka?'

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-20-2021, 07:49 PM
The title could just as easily be "So I'm a spider. What about it?"

"So" in front of a sentence is really not all that rare. Grammatically not great, but colloquially fine.

MFauli
Sat, 02-20-2021, 08:13 PM

"So" in front of a sentence is really not all that rare. Grammatically not great, but colloquially fine.

Pls read what I wrote. I criticize the double usw of "so". That's what makes it sound bad.

Munsu
Sat, 02-20-2021, 09:01 PM
It's just bad/wrong 🤷*♀️

And since when are Japanese titles translated exactly the same? I mean, the premise of your problem with the title was not that it was translated wrongly, but that it made no sense in English... and on this particular regard, you'd be wrong. It's perfectly fine in English.

#AttackOnTitan

MFauli
Sat, 02-20-2021, 09:10 PM
And since when are Japanese titles translated exactly the same? I mean, the premise of your problem with the title was not that it was translated wrongly, but that it made no sense in English... and on this particular regard, you'd be wrong. It's perfectly fine in English.

#AttackOnTitan

Is it "perfectly fine" though? If I were an English teacher, I'd put a red marker on that first "so" and write a comment next to it saying "try to avoid repeating the same word in the same sentence".

shinta|hikari
Sat, 02-20-2021, 09:15 PM
I agree with Mfauli. Just removing the first "So" is enough to make it better without losing any accuracy. The translation is lazy.

Munsu
Sat, 02-20-2021, 09:16 PM
Is it "perfectly fine" though? If I were an English teacher, I'd put a red marker on that first "so" and write a comment next to it saying "try to avoid repeating the same word in the same sentence".

We're not writing an essay or thesis or anything. It's just a title and a phrase mentioned colloquially just fine. This is not worth the discussion.

I agree with Mfauli. Just removing the first "So" is enough to make it better without losing any accuracy. The translation is lazy.

No one is really disputing that there weren't better alternatives, or that the translation is as accurate as it could be though. The basis of his complaint was that it sounded bad, as in it made no sense in English... as if the first "So" couldn't convey a different meaning than the second one. Or that in English no one can put sentences like that together, particularly colloquially.

The first "So" DOES convey a different meaning, that it had better alternatives? Sure, but that's a matter of taste. For titles, sometimes the repetition is what brings it to life and makes it stand out... kinda like an internal rhyme.

I mean, if all this discussion is simply to lead us to believe that there were better ways about it, then...OK, sure? Good job everyone.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 02-20-2021, 10:55 PM
I mean, if all this discussion is simply to lead us to believe that there were better ways about it, then...OK, sure? Good job everyone.

Thanks. I find it compelling to give my opinion about translation matters given my study and experience. Maybe it might even help others interested in learning Japanese.

Munsu
Sat, 02-20-2021, 11:45 PM
Thanks. I find it compelling to give my opinion about translation matters given my study and experience. Maybe it might even help others interested in learning Japanese.

I have no problem with discussing whether the translation is accurate or not, in fact I welcome it. It's the idea that a sentence constructed as it was in English is intrinsically wrong, which was the meat of what was being discussed, which is in dispute. That's two different issues. Going beyond what is meant literally, we should always be aware that there are nuances in Japanese that are can't be properly conveyed by a straight up translation, and that's where editorial freedom comes in. Pretty much true for all languages.

Not that I'm disputing that aspect (or anyone that I'm aware of), and I'm not disputing that it could have a more appropriate straightforward translation (which again isn't in dispute)... what was being disputed was that merely having "So" two times in the title just made it a English error outright, also the insinuation that both times it was used it conveyed the same meaning, so one could substitute the other (it doesn't).

And now I feel like shit for overusing "dispute".

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-21-2021, 03:10 AM

Pls read what I wrote. I criticize the double usw of "so". That's what makes it sound bad.

----------------------------

Why is there a second "so" at the beginning? Wouldn't it sound much better if it was "I'm a Spider, so what?"?

The "so" at the beginning of the english title just sounds bad. Dunno

Your specific criticism is that the unnecessary "So" is the one in front. My specific response to this, is that keeping the first "So" and dropping the second works fine.

Similar uses in English can be "So I fucked up. And?"

MFauli
Sun, 02-21-2021, 07:21 AM
----------------------------

Your specific criticism is that the unnecessary "So" is the one in front. My specific response to this, is that keeping the first "So" and dropping the second works fine.

Similar uses in English can be "So I fucked up. And?"

No :/

Both you and Munsu interpret my postings in bizarre ways :(

As I wrote several times by now: Having 2 "so" in such a short title just sounds bad. That you could change the second "so" is true, but then the translation would be less precise. The first "so" simply doesn't convey anything that's present in the Japanese title.

Again, and that's gonna be the last time: The first "so" just sounds bad. This is a professional company doing translations for fincancial gain, so I figure they'd want the best possible translation, not just one that "still makes sense". Therefore, "I'm a Spider, so what?" would have been the more professional translation. That's it.

No one is really disputing that there weren't better alternatives, or that the translation is as accurate as it could be though. The basis of his complaint was that it sounded bad, as in it made no sense in English

That is incorrect. My complaint was about it sounding bad, yes. Not that it was un-understandable in English.

Munsu
Sun, 02-21-2021, 10:01 AM
No :/

Both you and Munsu interpret my postings in bizarre ways :(

As I wrote several times by now: Having 2 "so" in such a short title just sounds bad. That you could change the second "so" is true, but then the translation would be less precise. The first "so" simply doesn't convey anything that's present in the Japanese title.

Again, and that's gonna be the last time: The first "so" just sounds bad. This is a professional company doing translations for fincancial gain, so I figure they'd want the best possible translation, not just one that "still makes sense". Therefore, "I'm a Spider, so what?" would have been the more professional translation. That's it.

That is incorrect. My complaint was about it sounding bad, yes. Not that it was un-understandable in English.

That's what happens when you continue to move the goalpost in your arguments, which is customary at this point. It makes perfect sense in English, you even admitted that you were WRONG if there was no problem with that type of structure of English (that's why you asked the question in the first place)... discussion on that aspect should've stopped there. But your stubborn streak flared up and doubled down on it being improper English, then mixed it with how it's wrongly TRANSLATED and doubled down once again on that aspect later.

Arguing about the English component and how it was bad grammatically and so forth after multiple posters showed you how it was not a problem should have ended the discussion on that regard. If you wanted to later focus on how it wasn't translated as accurate as possible just because they added a bit more flavor (in their opinion) using an additional "so", well.. so be it. But in the end, much ado about nothing really... it's one of the least egregious translations in the history of Japanese title translations for the kind of hoopla it has created in this thread.

And that's all I'll say about this and won't respond to other replies.

Is it next Friday yet?

Kraco
Sun, 02-21-2021, 11:16 AM
And that's all I'll say about this and won't respond to other replies.

That's good because you are wrong here. It's a style error to have the "so" word twice in the same sentence. I can also guarantee it was told to you back in school, unless your English teacher was a very peculiar person walking their own path in life and language. Well, like I said before, it must be intentional with this series, seeing how the style is kind of kitschy. The original name is already provocative, so the English version is merely taking it a step further, making it sound like spoken language.

Ryllharu
Sun, 02-21-2021, 11:46 AM
In writing, it is bad. In speaking in casual tones, it is fine.

Native English speakers have ZERO problems with this title. Especially the monoglots.

Translation is always stages of interpretation, edit, and occasionally, rewriting from on culture/audience to another. Literal translations are invariably poor translations, actually no better than fully embellished and retwisted translations.

Munsu
Sun, 02-21-2021, 12:01 PM
That's good because you are wrong here. It's a style error to have the "so" word twice in the same sentence. I can also guarantee it was told to you back in school, unless your English teacher was a very peculiar person walking their own path in life and language. Well, like I said before, it must be intentional with this series, seeing how the style is kind of kitschy. The original name is already provocative, [so the English version is merely taking it a step further, making it sound like spoken language.

Damn, picking this point in time to argue against me when I can't reply!!! And bringing a new argument while you're at it LOL. But calling my stance wrong, then I'll just add a bit since I didn't discuss this with you previously, and purely on the technicalities of English as a written and spoken language.

I'll just point out that we mentioned colloquially many times during the discussion, also too much is being made out of rules used mostly for essays and thesis and other types of formal writing. In narration and rhetoric there are a myriad of of literary devices in which repetition is used... and we're talking about a title from an entertainment medium here. So there's really no "style error" as you call it (well there is, but it's subjective), it is very dependent on how formal of a work we're talking about and what the intention of the repetition is all about. But yes, in general, repetition should be avoided when possible, particularly if there are perfectly good synonyms that can be used as substitute (which I believe many of us have agreed to already). And I'd be the first to criticize a novel when a word is overused, but... from there to it being WRONG in English, then that's a step too far.

In fact, if this was a formal essay or thesis, I wouldn't use even one instance of "so" anywhere.

I think now I've touched upon all the elements of interest. Don't agree, that's fine, but wrong it isn't.

MFauli
Sun, 02-21-2021, 01:08 PM
Well, I hope Mushoku is spicy again this week so we can talk about that instead of this lol

DarthEnderX
Sun, 02-21-2021, 07:24 PM
Since there's a video-game background looming around, it could be elf-sensei was playing said game prior to the collective death of that classroom ?
Also, numbers were only stating that one classroom. But since the incident felt like a huge explosion, or at least a wide area/volume catastrophe, the whole school body is dead I guess.Or they aren't dead at all and just got, like, sucked into a virtual world.

Them dying in "a mysterious flash of light" is a hell of a lot less conclusive than the usual visit from truck-kun.

It's far more strange, in my opinion, to have the usual game elements in what ought to be a fully functional, steady fantasy world.I completely agree and kinda hate it when they do that.

The title should be "I'm a spider, so what?" or "I'm indeed a spider, got a problem with that?" to make it sound more natural.
"Yeah I'm a spider. Big whoop. Wanna fight about it?!"

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/754/FamilyWhoop.JPG (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJimiVFCjJ0)

Munsu
Sun, 02-21-2021, 08:03 PM
If there's a D, does it give more credence that the religious fanatic girl is not all that crazy? At least as far as hearing the Voice of God, she's batshit crazy regardless.

Ryllharu
Mon, 02-22-2021, 04:08 AM
Is she hearing D or Binchou-tan's narrator like Kumoko?

I guess the latter?

Munsu
Mon, 02-22-2021, 08:32 AM
Is she hearing D or Binchou-tan's narrator like Kumoko?

I guess the latter?

Hmm, have we seen any the other characters hearing anything? I thought we had, but now I'm not sure. We know they seem to be in the same system, but it'd be interesting if they're hearing a different voice.

Regardless, does it matter what she's hearing at this point? The existence of a an administrator who can hear and manipulate the system in return already is big step in her favor vs. others that dismiss it.

neflight86
Tue, 02-23-2021, 02:34 PM
I can only watch someone else read stats for so long... The story did just get a leap more interesting with the introduction of an admin-type entity. That it listens to the spider's feedback is curious, but it was an effective reveal for maximum emotional impact. This does raise questions like the nature of their existence here and so on, which would be nice if they were at least touched on this season.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 02-23-2021, 03:44 PM
I can only watch someone else read stats for so long...Not me. That's the shit I'm here for.

Well, the reading of it and making funny comments on it and then pondering the possibilities of it.

neflight86
Tue, 02-23-2021, 04:00 PM
Yeah, there's certainly an audience for it, and I can't claim to not enjoy game-like manipulations if I loved HxH and such, so I can see this being in many people's sweet spots. In a way, its almost like a character builder in an Elder Scrolls game with all of the boring grinding bits cut out.

MFauli
Tue, 02-23-2021, 04:22 PM
Not gonna lie: I'd watch 2 hour movie without break that only consists of Kumoko grinding, fighting stronger enemies and upgrading her skills in-between fights.

... make it 3 hours.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 02-23-2021, 10:14 PM
You guys are nuts. I skim through most of Kumoko's stat scenes, but I do watch the battle scenes.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 02-23-2021, 10:21 PM
Stop making me agree with you MFauli.

"Today on Kumiko's Lets Plays..."

Buffalobiian
Wed, 02-24-2021, 02:32 AM
This does raise questions like the nature of their existence here and so on, which would be nice if they were at least touched on this season.

During one of Kumoko's unlocks (where she got rid of her headache), the world was clearly a digital construct, so there's our answer at least - assuming it wasn't animation liberty.

MFauli
Fri, 02-26-2021, 12:13 PM
Episode 8:

WTF

How about no?!

DarthEnderX
Fri, 02-26-2021, 12:39 PM
I'm sure it's a fakeout.

I wanna know what her 4th mind is for! lol

Looks like a nerd, but she already has an info mind and a magic mind.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-26-2021, 01:21 PM
We've already established that while she has MP she can't die.

So either teacher is lying, or Kumoko is out of action in a temporary manner, like in an Astral (?Hell/Abyss) plane or something.

MFauli
Fri, 02-26-2021, 01:30 PM
On another topic: That lava dragon totally is one of her school mates, probably the light brownd-haired one they showed in the flashback.

Ryllharu
Fri, 02-26-2021, 01:44 PM
I kind of hate the Middle Stratum magma-level stuff. We know she's not going to die here, so there's no tension at all with every battle she's in here being a deathtrap. Everything on this stratum can survive in magma, Kumoko can't. It's gotten really old, really fast.

The sooner the story leaves for another level, the better.

Any guesses at who the big titty goth vampire at the end of the last episode is in the Japan flashback? They could be telegraphing pretty hard with the gloomy student (who did have a fang too), but Katia used to be a boy, Fei used to be the bully girl who liked Shun. Both Wakaba and the gloomy student didn't say a word, nor did the other girls bullying Wakaba.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 02-26-2021, 03:37 PM
On another topic: That lava dragon totally is one of her school mates, probably the light brownd-haired one they showed in the flashback.Wouldn't it be able to talk then? The other schoolmate that's a monster can talk, so I assume they all can.

Ryllharu
Fri, 02-26-2021, 03:43 PM
Wouldn't it be able to talk then? The other schoolmate that's a monster can talk, so I assume they all can.
Fei can speak human for whatever reason, or maybe we think she can and she's also speaking to the reincarnated students telepathically or something. Or in Japanese, who knows.

Kumoku can't speak human, or at least she can't speak the native language. The humans in the episode with the egg sounded like gibberish to her.

Kraco
Fri, 02-26-2021, 05:05 PM
So either teacher is lying, or Kumoko is out of action in a temporary manner, like in an Astral (?Hell/Abyss) plane or something.

I can't decide between lying or not knowing. She might lie to make it easier for the students, and to free them from the thought that any random monster they fight in the future might be a fellow classmate. Such a fear might lead to hesitation, which at a critical moment might prove fatal. On the other hand, maybe whatever source of/method of gathering information the teacher has simply tells her that Kumoko is dead, and she believes it.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 02-26-2021, 11:22 PM
Fei can speak human for whatever reason, or maybe we think she can and she's also speaking to the reincarnated students telepathically or something. Or in Japanese, who knowsIf she was speaking telepathically, A. Her mouth wouldn't move and B. They should have explained that.

Kumoku can't speak human, or at least she can't speak the native language. The humans in the episode with the egg sounded like gibberish to her.I just assumed that's because she doesn't know their language, having grown up in a cave and all.

I'm assuming she can still speak Japanese.

I just honestly have no idea why Mfauli thinks that dragon is a classmate.

MFauli
Sat, 02-27-2021, 07:37 AM
I figure someone who communicates telepathically would still use his mouth out of habit. It doesnt need to be lip-less like in other series.

I just honestly have no idea why Mfauli thinks that dragon is a classmate.

Because after an episode that kinda focused on a flashback of one specially upright, likeable, competent classmate, the episode ends with Kumoku surprised about how unusually intelligent the lava dragon is. The impression that gave me was: oh, so that dragon possesses human smartness like Kumoko, that's why he knows how to avoid her poison attack and strategically destroyed the cones that Kumoko used to stand on.

I mean, maybe it's just a smart monster, but I instantly associated that classmate, especially with all the talk about missing classmate. Would be kinda cool if Kumoko found a friend, too.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-27-2021, 09:19 AM
In general the monsters seem uncharacteristically smart in this show anyway.

The monkeys coordinated attacks against Kumoko on the wall.

Many other encounters seemed to have the monsters react appropriately (running when its friend got killed etc).

The only obvious dumb thing was when one of the lava monsters went onto land when it ran out of MP when its mobility is shit.

Kraco
Sat, 02-27-2021, 09:31 AM
Would be kinda cool if Kumoko found a friend, too.

That dragon would make quite a murderous friend.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 02-27-2021, 11:17 PM
I suspect that the reason the dragon was all fucked up an hates Kumiko so much is because it was attacked by that white spider and it thinks she's it.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-28-2021, 07:54 AM
I think it was just attacked in general.

There were corpses all around, presumably from a giant fight earlier.

Kraco
Fri, 03-05-2021, 04:02 PM
Episode 9

- -- - -

So there is a major time async going on, after all. Apparently the human academy scenes are whopping 15 years in the future. It would suggest all the isekaied folks of that class were born at approximately the same time. It's quite a weird way of telling a story, with a 15 years of difference between the two stories, yet they are all the time mixed together in the episodes. I can kind of understand now why the manga adaptation hasn't included those student scenes at all. It probably wasn't a super difficult decision even if the novel did have them mixed together like the anime (though I wouldn't know).

Now we are left wondering what Kumoko is in that 15 years in the future world. Considering her speed of progress, you'd think she would be at least as powerful as that demon lord, who obviously is also some kind of spider creature.

It's a relief to know the timelines now, for sure, nonetheless.

Ryllharu
Fri, 03-05-2021, 04:16 PM
Pretty nuts episode.

Timeline wise, it means Kumoko and the rest of the class were born around the same time, 15 years prior to the current school timeline. No idea what it means for their teacher or the demon chick that recruited the asshole guy.
It also means that Fei is the youngest or even the last student to be reincarnated.

With Julius dying, that also means the demon lord perspective is the same time as the magic/hero school. Only Kumoko's is super early, since Fei was that egg, and the spider silk scarf was made from Kumoko's silk. Also shows us that while Kumoko is expressive and cute from her perspective, she's very spider-looking from human perspectives.

The meat of the reveals is probably D and the other administrator guy. He's sitting on the Demon Lord's council now. His discussion with the demon lord feels strongly like a red herring to me, about how they met all these years ago and who ever could have imagined their relationship would work out the way it does.

So...D doesn't own this world, but she's acting as an evil deity to this world, fucking with it for her own entertainment. The other guy specifically got tipped off when the dragon died, but not anything else Kumoko has killed so far. So he's associated with dragons? Therefore Fei? But he's working with the Demon Lord in present day?! So many more questions than answers!

And he knew that Kumoko had something to do with D. He couldn't translate for Kumoko, but D could. Should we take that to mean the reason they all reincarnated here specifically is D?

If she's an evil god, then that might explain why their teacher feels cursed or bound to not actually tell the other students what's up, but she does know where they are. That seems right in line with D's sickly sweet voice, plotting horrendous evil and cruelty for shits and giggles.

Kraco
Fri, 03-05-2021, 04:27 PM
It also means that Fei is the youngest or even the last student to be reincarnated.

No, isn't it that Fei just was developing inside the dragon egg for a longer time than than humans inside a womb or Kumoko inside a giant spider egg? Of course you could say Fei's the youngest if you count from when the eggshell finally cracked and she crawled out, but since we are talking about reincarnations, it's not the best way to count it, I'd say.

Munsu
Fri, 03-05-2021, 04:54 PM
Episode 9

I can kind of understand now why the manga adaptation hasn't included those student scenes at all. It probably wasn't a super difficult decision even if the novel did have them mixed together like the anime (though I wouldn't know).

The only thing I'll say about this particular is that the light novel didn't do it like this. So the anime, manga, and light novel all handled the different plotlines differently, as in when to introduce them and when to change POVs, etc.

MFauli
Fri, 03-05-2021, 06:21 PM
Now we are left wondering what Kumoko is in that 15 years in the future world. Considering her speed of progress, you'd think she would be at least as powerful as that demon lord, who obviously is also some kind of spider creature.

Isn't that the answer already? "Also"? Think closer. That demon lord even used threads like ... spider threads. Kumoko evolving for 15 years and going the demon lord route? I have no doubt she'd end up looking human, that's how it goes, see the lizard girl in Slime Tensei that evolved into a human.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 03-06-2021, 12:16 AM
Okay, lot to unpack there. The two storylines AREN'T synced up, because that scene with the egg happened long before the human part of the storyline(and means dragon girl and Kumiko spawned in the same place). Also, when viewed from the human perspective, Kumiko doesn't have her chibi face. She looks like a normal taratect.

Which means, maybe the White Spider WAS Kumiko. Since her story isn't up to that part in the timeline.

Also maybe dragon girl can't speak afterall? She didn't speak at all to when the brother was talking about her. Has she just been talking to herself this whole time? They made that very confusing if that's the case. Kumiko speaks, but doesn't know the language.

2 of the brains are magic? That's not very interesting... But maybe it means she can cast 2 spells at once.

Isn't that the answer already? "Also"? Think closer. That demon lord even used threads like ... spider threads. Kumoko evolving for 15 years and going the demon lord route? I have no doubt she'd end up looking human, that's how it goes, see the lizard girl in Slime Tensei that evolved into a human.
Agreed. Since there's little indication of what's happening when, the Demon Lord might ALSO be Kumiko. Girl, silk and Abyss powers, knows a Japanese guy, met the dark knight guy a "long time ago"...it all fits.

She seems pretty evil now though if that's her. That's too bad.

Pretty nuts episode.

Timeline wise, it means Kumoko and the rest of the class were born around the same time, 15 years prior to the current school timeline. No idea what it means for their teacher or the demon chick that recruited the asshole guy.
Here's what I'm wondering though, if the characters were reincarnated based on their old ages. All the students were roughly the same ages, so they reincarnated at about the same time.

But their teacher, if she was, say, 10 years older than her students, maybe she was reincarnated 10 years earlier. Which would explain why she knows so much more than them.

Kraco
Sat, 03-06-2021, 03:22 AM

Don't they have a different voice? Of course they could change the voice actor at one point of the story, but I don't think that's it. To me, it feels like a very hasty conclusion to think she's our Kumoko. She doesn't quite fit what I'd have in mind for her, although 15 years is a long time, so anything could happen.

Kumoko undoubtedly will want to reach a humanoid form, that's for sure, since she was originally a human, and I don't think many humans would desire to become spiders. A dragon might seem cool for quite a few, but not a spider. She's also been sticking to the staying small paths of evolution, which also supports it. Traditionally, in East and West, the humanoid form is also considered the superior one. If you have read xianxia, you'd know that from the East, and here in the West, we have the Bible saying that God created man in his own image, meaning humans supposedly are the closest thing to God.

Which means, maybe the White Spider WAS Kumiko. Since her story isn't up to that part in the timeline.

No chance whatsoever. Ignoring the white spider getting killed, it didn't even show the kind of intelligence at all that Kumoko displays in her fights, plus it was far too weak. Like I said, 15 years from the current point, Kumoko should be at least at that demon lord's level. If she was only at that white spider's level, it would indicate she stopped developing very soon after the current point, and actually degenerated because the white spider didn't even show the kind of skills we know Kumoko sports and uses frequently.

But their teacher, if she was, say, 10 years older than her students, maybe she was reincarnated 10 years earlier. Which would explain why she knows so much more than them.

I just suddenly thought about it when writing this comment, but maybe Kumoko taught the teacher the things she knows! I mean, the teacher and the students shouldn't really even be toddlers right now if all of them indeed were born approximately at the same time. That's how fast Kumoko's development is. The teacher is an elf, and traditionally elves get along with the nature and animals the best. Kumoko has already conversed with D and another very high level (dragon?) guy in this ep. Imagine what she will know years from now. If the teacher and Kumoko met, let's say 8 years from the current point, Kumoko could have made the teacher the very special person we have witnessed in the future scenes.

Though naturally that's just a single possibility to explain the teacher's situation.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 03-06-2021, 05:05 AM
No chance whatsoever. Ignoring the white spider getting killed, it didn't even show the kind of intelligence at all that Kumoko displays in her fights, plus it was far too weak.We also only saw the fight from the Hero's perspective. And as they showed us this episode, how Kumiko views things happening looks very different from how others view things.

We also saw in this very episode that she can make illusions that make people think they've killed her.

Like I said, 15 years from the current point, Kumoko should be at least at that demon lord's level.I think you're jumping to conclusions to think that her current point is STILL 15 years in the past. As she lives and grows in the cave, a lot more time could be passing than we realize.

Yeah, the point where the egg was taken was 15 years before where the kids are. But for all we know, this fight with the dragon could be taking place 5 years later. The White Spider fighting the Hero could be her 10 years later. And the Demon Lord could be her 15 years later.

Kraco
Sat, 03-06-2021, 05:17 AM
I think you're jumping to conclusions to think that her current point is STILL 15 years in the past. As she lives and grows in the cave, a lot more time could be passing than we realize.

Yeah, the point where the egg was taken was 15 years before where the kids are. But for all we know, this fight with the dragon could be taking place 5 years later. The White Spider fighting the Hero could be her 10 years later. And the Demon Lord could be her 15 years later.

I most certainly haven't got a feeling of such major time jumps at any point of the story. Her life has been very hectic the vast majority of the time, which means it's going from hour to hour, from day to day at most, as far as I can see.

I'm pretty sure the hero big brother was on the trip to hunt the white spider for all the episodes so far, with the little brother missing his big bro and talking about him until the other students' ears started falling off. Now the big bro came back, briefly, and they met. However, the hero had to leave immediately again. In the demon lord's meeting we got two days of time before a war begins. I'd assume the hero didn't last too many days after that.

MFauli
Sat, 03-06-2021, 06:32 AM
OR (combining theories):

Kumoko *was* the white spider. Either it was her degenerated form, a consequence of the taboo level (raise it too quickly and your turn into a beast) OR she actually didn't die there and just escaped, leaving a perfect kagebunshin to deceive the hero party.

That's why demon lord Kumoko holds a grudge against the hero.

An alternative theory, that incorporates the different voice: White spider was degenerated Kumoko, same as above. BUT: she had laid eggs at that point and the demon lord girl is her offspring. Basically she gave birth to a high-level white spider baby with human intelligence, except that baby would be careful not to raise the taboo level too much, thus keeping her intelligence and using all the years to become a spider demon lord.

David75
Sat, 03-06-2021, 07:19 AM
Demon Lord could be Kumoko ? BTW I kept watching, gets better...
After reading the comments here I rewatched the sequence:
-earrings could be some of her eyes
-eye lashes spikes when she faces you
-the thread she uses and how it snaps feels spider.
-her voice is different except the Juuncho line has intonations that feel almost the same
-when she talks with that guy in armor, she mentions a meeting long in the past. There's no doubt it's the guy that teleported to the cave to check that dragon's death
-she's from the same class as the others, she knows the soon to be dead hero's little brother former world name

The teacher told the others Wakaba is dead because after all she's the last boss. The Human society is built around that: they have to kill the Demon Lord. They are students at a school where they learn how to kill monsters and eventually the Demon Lord.
It's logical to tell them she's dead, in their best interrest.

Also, administrator D set the world that way because after all having former classmates fight to death is a lot more fun.

Now I do not have the will to check if their classroom exploded or something similar happened. Maybe it was only a fade to white.
Then we don't know what kind of collective state can bring so many minds in sync in a videogame like world that still feels real and slow like a real world, but in a fantasy setting.

Munsu
Sat, 03-06-2021, 09:12 AM
I think you're jumping to conclusions to think that her current point is STILL 15 years in the past. As she lives and grows in the cave, a lot more time could be passing than we realize.

I don't know, I think her life and story to this point has been very straightforward to believe her plotline has seen any sort of time jump.

The fight with the hero was indeed in the future, but that's about it. And sure, the Demon Lord scenes are in the future... but when we've seen the Kumoko scenes, there has been no indication of a time lapse.

Ryllharu
Sat, 03-06-2021, 09:16 AM
Removing this content, giving away too much info.

MFauli
Sat, 03-06-2021, 10:25 AM
Thx Munsu, and guys, is it REALLY that hard not to spoil things when you've already read the source material? Come on. :/

DarthEnderX
Sat, 03-06-2021, 10:39 AM
It really does bug me that her 4th mind is just magic again. Her split minds basically allowed her to be an entire JRPG party unto itself. But now her party is like, a Monk, a Scholar, and 2 Black Mages. That's a poorly balanced party!

They could have at least made, like, one a Mage and the other a Cleric.

I most certainly haven't got a feeling of such major time jumps at any point of the story.I hadn't gotten the feeling that that we were jumping around between time periods either until this episode happened. But we were doing in the whole time.

They're apparently intentionally obfuscating how time is passing, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if she's been living in that cave for years already, and we're just getting the highlights of her leveling up and learning new skills.

Kraco
Sat, 03-06-2021, 11:02 AM
I hadn't gotten the feeling that that we were jumping around between time periods either until this episode happened. But we were doing in the whole time.

They're apparently intentionally obfuscating how time is passing, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if she's been living in that cave for years already, and we're just getting the highlights of her leveling up and learning new skills.

But it's not presented in a way that makes you think so, which makes it logical to think it's not so. What comes to the Kumoko vs student scenes, it's actually more logical there's the time async. It means they were all born at the same time (including the time spent in an egg or womb). Without the async, it would mean Kumoko was, for an artificial reason, born like 15 years later. Not that D couldn't have done that just for laughs, but I'd personally try to think D is not messing around with absolutely every detail, as it would make individual struggle less meaningful.

Munsu
Sat, 03-06-2021, 11:23 AM
Thx Munsu, and guys, is it REALLY that hard not to spoil things when you've already read the source material? Come on. :/

It wasn't a source material issue, but it contained info that would ruin speculations outside of what shown in the anime itself and using outside sources. So didn't see it prudent. To be clear, he didn't spoil anything from sources outside of anime... it was in a gray area, kinda like spoiling things from a next episode preview, but going a step further than that. And in general, I thought it would ruin the discussion for you guys. That's all I'll say on that matter.

Ryllharu
Sat, 03-06-2021, 12:38 PM
I'm fine with that decision. The anime itself is loaded with spoilers.

The Opening has showed Julius dying this entire time, ffs.

It's not extremely difficult to put some of this shit together with the school half being shown.

Munsu
Sat, 03-06-2021, 02:23 PM

Too busy listening to the song to actually watch what's going on in the video LOL.

It's not extremely difficult to put some of this shit together with the school half being shown.

I haven't read the manga, but in regards the different plotlines (school vs Kumoko), I felt that the LN did a better job with it. But I think part of the decision of what was decided to do with the anime was heavily influenced by the time constraint of fitting things into a 24 episode season. So in that regard, have little to complaint while still retaining some of the desired effects. But won't say much more on this particular aspect in case some things are yet to be revealed.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-07-2021, 03:57 AM
I'm fine with that decision. The anime itself is loaded with spoilers.

It's not extremely difficult to put some of this shit together with the school half being shown.I find most of it goes by too fast to parse. I got more spoilers out of the ED than the OP. As it gives a lot of focus to Kumiko's current form, and the 4 Kumikos.

Though, I originally assumed the 4 Kumikos was going to be her making up personalities to talk to out of solitude induced madness. :p

Ryllharu
Sun, 03-07-2021, 05:52 AM
Bottom line, do not watch the OP/ED closely after episodes 8 & 9.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 03-07-2021, 10:17 AM
Kumoko is being misspelled here more than Eren (Erin) in the Attack on Titan thread.

Kumo = Spider
Ko = Child, but in this case it's a common suffix for female Japanese names, like Hanako, etc.

MFauli
Sun, 03-07-2021, 10:36 AM
Kumoko is being misspelled here more than Eren (Erin) in the Attack on Titan thread.

Kumo = Spider
Ko = Child, but in this case it's a common suffix for female Japanese names, like Hanako, etc.

thank you. The "Erin" especially is driving me insane, lol.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-07-2021, 12:33 PM

Arin.

neflight86
Tue, 03-09-2021, 08:55 AM
Just caught up on 8-9. Finally, finally, this story is becoming interesting. I know it was building to something. The drop of the 15 year async was a good twist, as was Kumoko's NPC model in the flashback. I felt tipped off that she was the Demon Lord when she mentioned using 'abyss' magic- the magic we just saw her learn/use- to reign in the squabbling generals on top of spider silk. That plus the time gap made for a satisfying 'aha' moment. The following dialogue with horn-dude and I was convinced she is the demon lord- no doubt in my mind.

The language suggests she may be warring on the humans because she feels, left to their own devices, they will genocide monsters, which she has no choice but to be, so an extension of self preservation. She probably had no special love for her classmates who bullied her or turned a blind eye to the same, so becoming the demon lord isn't so far fetched.

Now I'm going to be even more checked out when she is staring at text walls of skills; knowing there is a more juicy plot further down the road.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-09-2021, 08:14 PM
If we're saying Kumoko is the demon lord, then we're saying she killed that spider back a few episodes ago because it was "getting ahead of itself" or something.

The girl who was the 10th group sounded kind of like D.

Munsu
Tue, 03-09-2021, 08:26 PM
If we're saying Kumoko is the demon lord, then we're saying she killed that spider back a few episodes ago because it was "getting ahead of itself" or something.

Could be a red herring, since she seemed to be far away... so she might've been talking about a totally unrelated incident.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 03-09-2021, 08:34 PM
Could be a red herring, since she seemed to be far away... so she might've been talking about a totally unrelated incident.This. Since things aren't happening chronologically, it could be a misdirect to make us think they're different characters.

If the Demon Lord isn't Kumoko, the writers at least want us to think she is.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 03-12-2021, 12:11 PM

Make sure to watch after the credits.

---

So yeah, I guess current Kumo is still 15 years in the past. And the events of this episode are obviously what causes Julius to hunt down the white spider later.

It's also clear now that she can't actually speak, as she made it clear she was yelling at them, but they heard nothing. So it's not just that she doesn't know the language, it's that she can't even vocalize sounds. I wonder if there are skills for that, or if she has to evolve into a humanoid first.

I love though that the Labyrinth monsters are all trying to get away from her. She's only been alive, like, a year, and she's already a legendary monsters.

Killing all those people does feel like a bit of an overreaction though...

David75
Fri, 03-12-2021, 12:36 PM
Well she's a monster so killing humans...
And 15 years ago from Schlain and the other's perspective is a lot of time considering how fast Kumoko evolves.
Considering she's now a demon lord, I understand why Wakaba is labeled as dead.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-12-2021, 12:49 PM
So it's not just that she doesn't know the language, it's that she can't even vocalize sounds. I wonder if there are skills for that, or if she has to evolve into a humanoid first.

Her magic numbers are already higher than her speed.

At this rate she might as well just get Telepathy than a language skill.

I imagine these episodes would be a typesetting nightmare.

Munsu
Fri, 03-12-2021, 12:50 PM
Her magic numbers are already higher than her speed.

At this rate she might as well just get Telepathy than a language skill.

I imagine these episodes would be a typesetting nightmare.

Would telepathy even matter if she doesn't know the language? I guess only with people from Japan.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-12-2021, 12:52 PM
Would telepathy even matter if she doesn't know the language? I guess only with people from Japan.

Comes down to the question of "Do people think in languages", and conversely "Do people without language think?"

Telepathy would be thought projection, not just "turn my voicemail into brain SMS".

Ryllharu
Fri, 03-12-2021, 02:45 PM
Something sketchy as hell is going on with Schlain's brothers. They gave us no hints at what though, just loads of bad vibes.

I really love the episodes we get that are others' POVs of Kumoko. She's terrifying. She meant well, but is a much bigger threat than she gives herself credit for.

I would assume telepathy in this world would rise above language, but then again, it may not even be an option as a skill. She had literal gods visit her, and one of them who knew Japanese had to translate for her. The "smartphone" may have been doing telepathy for all we know though. I do appreciate that her reaction was basically..."Screw it! It's not worth figuring out right now."

Tying into last week's discussion...now that the ED is translated and subbed...worth mentioning that D's existence was referenced in there the whole time. I wouldn't have caught it without the subs, it is in the rapid-fire sections.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 03-12-2021, 03:31 PM
Well she's a monster so killing humans...She used to be human.

In the absence of an Overlord system enforcing roleplay, you would expect someone to be a little hesitant to kill the race that they used to be.

I could understand if a couple died and she scared the rest off. But she was going for a total party wipe there. Cutting off their escape was a particularly brutal choice.

The show even treats it as sketchy because she tries to kind of talk herself into being okay with it afterwards. "I was justified there, right?"

Kraco
Fri, 03-12-2021, 03:56 PM
She used to be human.

In the absence of an Overlord system enforcing roleplay, you would expect someone to be a little hesitant to kill the race that they used to be.

I could understand if a couple died and she scared the rest off. But she was going for a total party wipe there. Cutting off their escape was a particularly brutal choice.

The show even treats it as sketchy because she tries to kind of talk herself into being okay with it afterwards. "I was justified there, right?"

This was entirely from the humans' point of view, which was, furthermore, underlined by the whole thing being presented as a story of the past recalled by the human wizard. If it had been shown from Kumoko's pov, you could bet your softest spider silk hammock on it looking very different, with the humans being super aggressive and leaving little choice for Kumoko. Even from this humans' pov, it did all start with the geezer wizard going all out to burn the place down.

Kumoko hesitating afterwards, what comes to the justification, is understandable as she did slay a whole bunch of humans, not just one or two. A tough Texas man might be more or less fine shooting one or two burglars invading and trashing his home in the night, but he might still feel a bit off if his home was littered with dead bodies when the sun rises, as if it was a scene straight from Syria or something.

I find the episode especially interesting because it did go into a considerable length to make the view point difference clear, even though we didn't exactly see it from Kumoko's pov, but we can always imagine it. I also imagine she didn't even realise she was cutting off their escape route. It's not like she would have ever left the dungeon, so which route is which for her?

MFauli
Fri, 03-12-2021, 04:07 PM
I agree with Darth here. I'm quite disappointed that she had not hesitation in killing human beings. Even if they attacked first, you'd think a citizen from our world, a child to boot, would still be hesitent to actually commit murder. Considering how overwhelmingly stronger she was than her opponents, she could have done plenty of non-lethal tactics, one being to simply use her threads to immobilize them.

And her not realizing that they cannot hear her? Kinda weak. Had she realized that, and she should have, she could have drawn pictures in the ground or used her thread for creating imagery. Either way: That was a bad first proper encounter with humans and she went full-Overlord, showing zero remorse for having murdered so many people. That disappoints me for the reason that it makes later scenes less interesting. Assuming she truly is the humanoid demon lord, she wouldnt even care about meeting her former classmates now. Just straight forward fighting.

And yes, Julius' brothers are definitely up to something. My guess: They (or at least the cruel one) cannot accept that their younger brother inherited the hero title, and will now try to murder him.

What I must explicitly praise, though: The anime didnt drag out the timeline reveal. Plenty of anime would have waited longer to make the different timelines this obvious, but this one chose the perfect moment to get rid of any pretense and just tell the audience "yeah, there are 2 timelines". Feels good.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-12-2021, 04:09 PM
I would assume telepathy in this world would rise above language, but then again, it may not even be an option as a skill. She had literal gods visit her, and one of them who knew Japanese had to translate for her. The "smartphone" may have been doing telepathy for all we know though. I do appreciate that her reaction was basically..."Screw it! It's not worth figuring out right now

I think it does. At the very least, it's not just a voice transponder.

When the phone first arrived, it simultaneously spoke Japanese and Native.

Kraco
Fri, 03-12-2021, 04:35 PM
I agree with Darth here. I'm quite disappointed that she had not hesitation in killing human beings. Even if they attacked first, you'd think a citizen from our world, a child to boot, would still be hesitent to actually commit murder. Considering how overwhelmingly stronger she was than her opponents, she could have done plenty of non-lethal tactics, one being to simply use her threads to immobilize them.

And her not realizing that they cannot hear her? Kinda weak. Had she realized that, and she should have, she could have drawn pictures in the ground or used her thread for creating imagery. Either way: That was a bad first proper encounter with humans and she went full-Overlord, showing zero remorse for having murdered so many people. That disappoints me for the reason that it makes later scenes less interesting. Assuming she truly is the humanoid demon lord, she wouldnt even care about meeting her former classmates now. Just straight forward fighting.

When you're pushed, killing's as easy as breathing. You reckon she has been pushed enough already?

While it's true you'd expect a stronger reaction from a regular Japanese person from a world resembling ours, there's one crucial factor here you are forgetting: If she still was like that, after everything she has been through, she would be dead and eaten already. Who can count anymore the life and death battles she has been forced to go through? The opponents might not have been humans, but neither is she a human anymore, and in the end I don't think it matters at that point any longer as much as you'd think. Whether you are fighting humans or beasts in a desperate fight mere half a step away from death, you are nonetheless on a first-name basis with Mr. Grim Reaper already. Kill or be killed. She's beyond hesitation already. She's beyond agonising about it afterwards already. If she wasn't, she would go crazy.

Ryllharu
Fri, 03-12-2021, 06:43 PM
I think Fei has telepathy, right? I'm too lazy to go back and check her stats, or if they've even shown her abilities. But the reincarnated kids and Oka can understand her, and nobody else seems to. The others seem to think she's just a well-behaved and precocious pet pretending that it's learning at school alongside its master.

Kumoko's justification is she tried to bitch them out about burning her 'My Home' again, and even as the wizard marveled at the fact she had rebuilt her Traditional Japanese Clanking Tripwires again, the rest of them attacked her because she was once again unable to communicate with them at all, and just loomed there super menacingly from their perspective.

She tried to communicate. She doesn't seem to even realize how badly she fails at that. Which is comedy for the audience, when you think about it. If the summoner guy hadn't punched the wizard, he might have tried some way to talk to her. He was impressed, curious, and a little bit afraid, but mostly fascinated. He wanted to learn how she had gotten the Wisdom skill.

First they assessed each other, she didn't actually attack right away. After that, she used an evil eye when the soldiers drew their weapons at her, we just don't actually know which one, or if Kumoko screwed up again and didn't realize how weak humans are compared to her now, and killed them on accident.

I think she has: Curse (loads of damage), Paralyze (damage, but should be way less than curse), and Heavy (the gravity blasts she used on the summons).

I assume she paralyzed the first soldiers, and either accidentally killed them, or the surviving ones thought she did. She actually sat there while the wizard continued to lose his shit over her impressive array of skills.

Then the summoner punched the wizard. They immediately proceeded to teleport/flee, but the summoner guy attacked her while the wizard cast. This entire incident is his fault when you look from Kumoko's perspective.

As they kept attacking her, she responded with increasingly lethal force. For all we know, she kept trying to talk to them as she paralyzed more and more soldiers, until the dude finally summoned his four beasts.

It was a lethal misunderstanding, and Kumoko is honestly too much of a ditz to realize how insanely strong she's gotten. She's really only a monster from our perspective if she wakes up hungry from her new evolution and eats their corpses, in my opinion. A lot of you are condemning Kumoko for legitimate self-defense and being an idiot who hasn't realized she can't talk (still).

She's still 15 years in the past, and has maybe double or triple the amount of skills that the asshole prince had, and he was aggressively acquiring skills, and had bonuses to get them faster.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 03-12-2021, 06:49 PM
with the humans being super aggressive and leaving little choice for Kumoko.They gave her tons of choice, as, after she took a couple out, all they wanted to do was escape. And she made certain they couldn't.

I also imagine she didn't even realise she was cutting off their escape route. It's not like she would have ever left the dungeon, so which route is which for her?Except for the part where letting them escape so she could locate the entrance was part of her plan. But she could have let most of them go, instead of only 1 and a half.

The opponents might not have been humans, but neither is she a human anymore, and in the end I don't think it matters at that point any longer as much as you'd think.It matters in regards to whether I can still sympathize with and root for the character.

If she's just a monster, I no longer care about her journey.

It was a lethal misunderstanding, and Kumoko is honestly too much of a ditz to realize how insanely strong she's gotten.I'm not sure that excuse flies for someone who is supposedly the Master of Wisdom, specializes in perception, and has 4 minds. She should have complete situational awareness.

Ryllharu
Fri, 03-12-2021, 06:59 PM
They gave her tons of choice, as, after she took a couple out, all they wanted to do was escape. And she made certain they couldn't.

Except for the part where letting them escape so she could locate the entrance was part of her plan. But she could have let most of them go, instead of only 1 and a half.

We probably posted around the same time, so go back and read my post on the last page. I think you're wrong about how it actually played out.

Until she tagged them, Kumoko had no idea how to get out of the labyrinth. She hatched on the upper level, has no idea how big it is even remotely (we know it is continent-spanning from the brother and wizard's perspective), and has spent the rest of her time on the lower and middle levels.

We don't even know if she asked them how to get out before she tagged them. She thought of that when they started to teleport out. You're attributing malice on someone we positively know is an idiot.

I'm not sure that excuse flies for someone who is supposedly the Master of Wisdom, specializes in perception, and has 4 minds. She should have complete situational awareness.
Why do we think that the four parallel minds are actually smart?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-12-2021, 09:36 PM
I don't blame Kumoko at all. They invaded and razed her home, and when she tried to talk to them, they attacked her.

As she said, legitimate self-defense.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 03-12-2021, 10:34 PM
As she said, legitimate self-defense.It's only self defense until they try to flee. And if you prevent their escape, that's no longer self defense. It's revenge.

Why do we think that the four parallel minds are actually smart?You don't have to be smart to be observant, which is literally her specialty.

Munsu
Sat, 03-13-2021, 02:07 AM
It's only self defense until they try to flee. And if you prevent their escape, that's no longer self defense. It's revenge.

When do you presume she knew they were trying to flee? How do you know that she was trying to block their escape? She doesn't know the way out as it is. She only attacked when they attacked her, and this isn't the first time they destroyed one of her homes.

You can see this in multiple ways, killing some of them sends a message to stop fucking with her. Trying to kill all of them means that she could also be worried of the survivors being able to lead bigger parties towards her location (which has already happened to her in the past). There's safety in leaving no witnesses. She could've also meant to not kill anyone, but they attacked her and she underestimated her strength and overestimated that from humans, she did appraisal on the most powerful human wizard after all (who was later doing a massive spell)... and mix that with being angry as fuck, those are the results.

Heck, she doesn't seem aware that they can't understand her or hear her. For all we can tell, they ignored whatever she was saying and attacked her so she defended herself.

But we didn't get her POV, just her aftermath rationalization, something she always does when things don't go quite the way she planned them.

In the end, they were enemies and attacked her. She fought back, don't know more than that. She's been in constant danger and trying to survive since she was born, if you can't sympathize with that just because this time around the enemies were humans... well, that's on you.

Other than that, my appreciation is that she doesn't particularly care about humans, as in she's indifferent to them.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 03-13-2021, 02:22 AM
When do you presume she knew they were trying to flee? How do you know that she was trying to block their escape? She doesn't know the way out as it is.
Why would she block ANY direction unless it was to prevent them from getting away from her?

Escape doesn't just mean "back the way they came" it means "away from her". If she's webbing up passages, it's because she doesn't want them to go where she can't get them.

You can see this in multiple ways, killing some of them sends a message to stop fucking with her. Trying to kill all of them means that she could also be worried of the survivors being able to lead bigger parties towards her location (which has already happened to her in the past). There's safety in leaving no witnesses.Yes. That IS how a complete monster would rationalize it. Thank you for making my point.

he's been in constant danger and trying to survive since she was born, if you can't sympathize with that just because this time around the enemies were humans... well, that's on you.Is that supposed to make me think that position is actually some kind of hot take?

As a former human, she knows humans are thinking, feeling people, and not just animals, like she could have assumed everything else she's killed has been.

Munsu
Sat, 03-13-2021, 02:27 AM
Why would she block ANY direction unless it was to prevent them from getting away from her?

Escape doesn't just mean "back the way they came" it means "away from her". If she's webbing up passages, it's because she doesn't want them to go where she can't get them.

From the aftermath you can tell she simply dropped from where she was hanging and had it mind to "chew them out" for destroying her shit, nothing more nothing less. The old man THOUGHT she was blocking their escape. From her POV, she wasn't really blocking their escape, but again that doesn't answer the question on when she became aware that they were trying to flee, at no point did they did such a thing until they attacked her and she fought back and some ran. In fact, those that ran away she simply "marked".

DarthEnderX
Sat, 03-13-2021, 02:37 AM
Yeah, I actually just rewatched it, and when they said she was blocking their escape I thought they meant she closed the passages. But they just meant she was standing between them and the exit. I withdraw that point.

I was also reminded that Kumo is a lot bigger than I thought she was. Much bigger than she used to be, and I thought she was picking evolutions that weren't making her bigger, but I guess they are a little.

Munsu
Sat, 03-13-2021, 02:41 AM

Yes. That IS how a complete monster would rationalize it. Thank you for making my point.

It's a coping mechanism. But again, I don't think she particular cares, don't mess with her, she doesn't mess with you kind of thing.

Is that supposed to make me think that position is actually some kind of hot take?

As a former human, she knows humans are thinking, feeling people, and not just animals, like she could have assumed everything else she's killed has been.

Yet they're attacking her, so... she has to deal with it and keep surviving.

David75
Sat, 03-13-2021, 03:13 AM
She was human, but now she's some kind of monster and has to fight for survival every second of her life.
She still has most of her human rational wits, but the monster instincts and body will change her.

When that group of humans comes, we have to remember they are searching for a high level monster and are prepared to fight.
They burn her place, they feel hostile and when she arrives they won't change to having tea with a spider monster.

She appraises the group. She knows all the forces against her, gives the group time. But she needs to keep them in sight because even if most of the group members are weak, she fears a coordinated attack.
So she places herself in a position where she can see all of the group and starts disabling them from the weaker ones and up.
Her last attack was extremely powerful and there was a clear intent to kill considering how arms and parts of torsoes disappeared from both guys. We also know that her venom attack probably is her finishing move.

The only thing I'd like to know is what she did with the bodies if she killed all the soldier we've seen falling.
I do not see what she could have done with all those soliders after they wake-up if she only stunned them.
From the mage perspective, he was the only survivor with the other guy he teleported with him.

Again, Wakaba is considered dead, because if her former classmates meet her re-incarnation, they need to fight for their survival without delay caused by hesitation about her beign a former classmate.