PDA

View Full Version : Jujutsu Kaisen

Munsu
Mon, 10-05-2020, 11:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpO6APNqY1c

Negative human emotions - regret, bitterness, shame - are the source of all curses that infest the world and hide in everyday life, leading to death in the worst cases. Yuji Itadori, a particularly strong young man, attempts to save a friend from a curse, only to wind up consuming the special grade "Finger of Double-Sided Lodging" curse. With this curse now sharing his body, he is mentored by the curse expert Satoru Gojo to transfer to the Tokyo Metropolitan College of Arts and Science, which specializes in curses. Only a curse can eliminate another curse, and Yuji's career as a cursed person who must exorcise curses has now begin.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=22944

Read a few chapters of Jujutsu Kaisen, so don't have a good grasp on how it'll go, but could be fun and have some good action.

MFauli
Tue, 10-06-2020, 04:44 PM
episode 1:

maybe the anime i enjoyed most from the new season so far. Didnt like how quickly the hero doesnt care about his dead grandpa anymore, but that aside it was enjoyable. Even got a scene where a youkai groped the girl's boobs, nice, lol. Anyway. I'm always skeptical of these occult anime, because they tend to be very samey and generic. This one made a nice first impression, I'll be watching next episode.

Munsu
Tue, 10-06-2020, 09:25 PM
episode 1:

maybe the anime i enjoyed most from the new season so far. Didnt like how quickly the hero doesnt care about his dead grandpa anymore, but that aside it was enjoyable. Even got a scene where a youkai groped the girl's boobs, nice, lol. Anyway. I'm always skeptical of these occult anime, because they tend to be very samey and generic. This one made a nice first impression, I'll be watching next episode.

Seems more like a battle shounen series than anything.

neflight86
Wed, 10-14-2020, 10:12 PM
Ep2

Condensed shounen... I like it. It reminds of Enen no Shouboutai with the 'fast leveled' main character not starting at the bottom. I like it so far. Some really nice cuts of animation and the story so far is... unobtrusive, is the best way I can describe it. Not a focus, but serves its purpose without getting in the way or being bogged down by exposition. Recommended.

David75
Fri, 10-16-2020, 01:40 PM
At least we do not get tens of eps or more with MC trying to master the spirit within.
Here, he's strong enough to shut it down. At least for now.
We'll see how the animation compares to GOH and if they can control the power progression.

MFauli
Wed, 10-21-2020, 05:45 AM
Episode 3:

And dropped.

Sorry, but I just cant bear this bs main character. when he punched a hole through the wall, that's when I shut down the video player. :/ He's supposed to be a beginner. He's supposed to be a normal school boy who should be both scared and in awe of all the things he gets to see. He should be deathly scared of the impeding death sentence.

Instead he acts like the teacher, nothing fazes him, and he fighting like a pro.

I don't care about any pseudo explanations for all of that, it's just super badly presented and I hate it.

Why do so many anime fail to display proper human emotions?! This is most often evident when a close person dies. Irl you'd start crying, stop caring about your surrounding, and hide yourself for a long time. In anime, the death of a close person is more like a 5-minute boost for the hero's power with a "cool" angry-stare added. Ironically, One Piece is one of the very rare anime that got grieving over a dead person right.
But it's not just death. When a normal person sees monsters, ghosts, magicians for the first time, the reaction would be enormous! Yet in anime, it's like "oh, cool, magic! Oh fuck, monsters! Gotta find a way to fight them!" :/

Really tired of that shit

DarthEnderX
Wed, 11-18-2020, 10:22 AM
Sorry, but I just cant bear this bs main character. when he punched a hole through the wall, that's when I shut down the video player. :/ He's supposed to be a beginner.Did you miss the part in the first episode where he threw a shotput, like, double the distance of the world record, while not even throwing it right?

He's been superhuman from the start. There's probably a reason for it. Probably related to his parents that his grandpa wanted to tell him about but didn't get the chance.

Munsu
Sat, 12-05-2020, 07:05 PM
Episode 3:

And dropped.

Sorry, but I just cant bear this bs main character. when he punched a hole through the wall, that's when I shut down the video player. :/ He's supposed to be a beginner. He's supposed to be a normal school boy who should be both scared and in awe of all the things he gets to see. He should be deathly scared of the impeding death sentence.

Currently catching up, and saw your post...but man it's like you didn't watch the first 2 episodes. This comment is completely nonsensical.

Not sure if the anime would improve for you after, but your take on this particular issue is way off.

MFauli
Sun, 12-06-2020, 06:26 AM
Currently catching up, and saw your post...but man it's like you didn't watch the first 2 episodes. This comment is completely nonsensical.

Not sure if the anime would improve for you after, but your take on this particular issue is way off.

My posting is based on watching the first 3 episodes.

Munsu
Sun, 12-06-2020, 10:26 AM
My posting is based on watching the first 3 episodes.

My comment as well, and your appreciation indicates that you ignored a lot of factors that happened prior to said scene in earlier episodes. In fact, the whole first episode setup was to show how he he possessed superhuman strength, speed, etc. all unaided. So that you took exception to him breaking a wall on episode 3, and this is after he's gained more power, just seems dubious. To say nothing on how you characterized the main character which again ignores everything that was portrayed prior to that scene.

I don't mind that you didn't like it, but just that it was THAT scene, and the (wrong) reasons you give for having a problem with that scene, is suspect. As I said, the show might not get better for you after, but I think it's a bad take to take exception to this in particular, especially since you were apparently loving the series up to that point.

Anyways, good luck tomorrow.

MFauli
Sun, 12-06-2020, 10:41 AM
My comment as well, and your appreciation indicates that you ignored a lot of factors that happened prior to said scene in earlier episodes. In fact, the whole first episode setup was to show how he he possessed superhuman strength, speed, etc. all unaided. So that you took exception to him breaking a wall on episode 3, and this is after he's gained more power, just seems dubious. To say nothing on how you characterized the main character which again ignores everything that was portrayed prior to that scene.

I don't mind that you didn't like it, but just that it was THAT scene, and the (wrong) reasons you give for having a problem with that scene, is suspect. As I said, the show might not get better for you after, but I think it's a bad take to take exception to this in particular, especially since you were apparently loving the series up to that point.

Anyways, good luck tomorrow.

I didn't like how he just started fighting in episode 1, either :/

Munsu
Sun, 12-06-2020, 12:23 PM
I didn't like how he just started fighting in episode 1, either :/

Well, you didn't comment on it and what happened in episode 3 was no different than what happened in episode 1. In fact it was a less impressive feat than what was featured in episode 1. So that you were already able to jump that supposed hurdle and still call it "maybe the anime i enjoyed most from the new season so far", but just because he broke a wall in a future episode you stop watching it seems silly. But oh well, to each his own.

Munsu
Mon, 12-07-2020, 08:03 PM
Alright, I'm up to date now... thought I'd do a roll call, who's watching this series currently or am I alone?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-07-2020, 08:54 PM
Present.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 12-09-2020, 01:59 AM
I am also doing that thing.

neflight86
Wed, 12-09-2020, 07:55 AM
*raises hand*

There just isn't a lot to talk about, but this current fight is okay- I just don't know enough about the characters to be very invested, so it (the fight) will thrive by the rule of cool alone.

Munsu
Wed, 12-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Yeah, we haven't spent enough time with him... but I love the character so far.

https://i.imgur.com/LZNZ72Q.png

DarthEnderX
Thu, 12-10-2020, 12:44 PM
Overtime!

shinta|hikari
Thu, 12-10-2020, 03:09 PM
I wonder is he is going to die or get horribly injured by a soul hit...

Munsu
Fri, 12-18-2020, 10:01 PM
Episode 12:

Man, I loved this episode... freaking intense and violent. The head-butting sequence was awesome.

David75
Sat, 12-19-2020, 02:18 AM
Fight scenes are entertaining and nice looking. That show isn't my cup of tea, but I keep watching for the art and fights.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-26-2020, 10:41 AM
I'm starting this now because I came across some fight scenes that were actually pretty decent in terms of looks.
And I'm out of shows to watch and for some reason don't feel like starting Attack on Titans - not sure why, maybe because I didn't quite like the idea of another civilization across the ocean that seems to be doing just fine. The show kinda lost all the "we are going to be consumed and the world will end" feeling.

Will try to catch up.

Munsu
Sat, 12-26-2020, 10:57 AM
I'm starting this now because I came across some fight scenes that were actually pretty decent in terms of looks.
And I'm out of shows to watch and for some reason don't feel like starting Attack on Titans - not sure why, maybe because I didn't quite like the idea of another civilization across the ocean that seems to be doing just fine. The show kinda lost all the "we are going to be consumed and the world will end" feeling.

Will try to catch up.

Just a side note, last season of Attack on Titan's animation is being handled by the same studio as Jujutsu Kaisen, and looks like they've been given the greenlight for Chainsaw Man. They're giving them some hyped up projects, and although I haven't watched the last Attack on Titan, they're doing a damn good job with animation on this show. They've been doing great work for years so good for them.

Episode 13:

Well, looks like the end of this arc. Really cool fight to watch, but disappointed we didn't see it through to the end. I was kinda hoping that some low level character would have killed Mahito once he went to the sewers, would've been a fitting end. Not sure how it went on the manga, but also felt like the final scenes were rushed just so that we could end this arc. Also was hoping we could see more strategy used between Itadori and Nanami, particularly since at the end of the previous episode he said he was going to teach him through the fight how to take him down... but nothing was explained, they just went about it as normal.

Regardless, looks like we'll be beginning a tournament arc next. Those are always hit and miss, but glad to be around the other students once again, though I figure we'll be without Itadori for a bit until he makes his presumed surprise appearance.

Loving the action regardless, and also glad to see Itadori is not a character that stays in the dumps for long.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-26-2020, 05:29 PM
What the heck is going on with this superb animation.
I really love the shots and just about everything about it.

The opening already got me and I thought it would obviously go to a different standard after the first 2 episodes but I was wrong.

Some blunders aside, this MC is like a strictly better version of Shiro from Fate and the demon inside him is a strictly better version of the 9 tails.
I love this show.

watched all 13 episodes.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 12-28-2020, 01:16 AM
The opening already got me and I thought it would obviously go to a different standard after the first 2 episodes but I was wrong.
Yeah, from the OP I assumed the sad kid was gonna join the school. But it seems like he died instead...

neflight86
Wed, 12-30-2020, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I kept thinking 'How are they gonna save him so he can join the destined group?' after he got transformed.

Some real good animation cuts here, but the power scaling is still a bit off due to the rapid story pacing.

Munsu
Thu, 12-31-2020, 07:14 AM
Not something I caught, but it seemed like in the OP there was a slight change in the animation in which Itadori instead of just falling asleep in the end, now he does so with a tear in his eye.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-04-2021, 01:47 AM
I just watched ep 1-13 due to Christmas haitus.

1) MAPPA doing some good work. This show is so pretty to watch. They whole critical hit marker flashing up before each critical hit ended up being pretty dope. It's like when someone yells out their special attack, but more suited to our poor guy working overtime.

2) Story is good enough and there aren't any obvious immersion-breaking plot-holes so that's good. I particularly liked that Itadori realised Sukuna is just a curse in the end. Hopefully that realisation carries forth and they don't end up being buddies like some other shows.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 01-04-2021, 02:17 AM
Nah man, he's gonna tame that Demon Sukuna inside him someday. And take on his 20 Fingered Demon form!

Munsu
Sat, 01-16-2021, 09:01 PM
After 3? weeks, episode 14 is out...

A bridge/setup episode. I liked how the reunion was handled, found it funny. Also, liked how the Kyoto side is so blatant about their intentions, no mincing words. Also feel like Gotou throwing those theories about someone who's a traitor is a complete red-herring right now. But we'll see. Glad to be back, next episode looks to be action packed. Also new OP/ED.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-17-2021, 03:43 AM
Also feel like Gotou throwing those theories about someone who's a traitor is a complete red-herring right now. I mean, it's not. They've shown us the traitor sorcerer several times already.

Munsu
Sun, 01-17-2021, 07:45 AM
I mean, it's not. They've shown us the traitor sorcerer several times already.

He's already been expelled (or is considered dead, can't recall) from the organization, so he's hinting about someone else. What I meant is that by he bringing up the topic now it's supposed to make us suspect the Principal of Kyoto and the likes, and we shouldn't.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-17-2021, 10:51 AM
Hmm, I assumed that guy was working from inside the organization.

Munsu
Sun, 01-17-2021, 01:59 PM
Hmm, I assumed that guy was working from inside the organization.

I think he was the perpetrator, one of the top Jujutsu Sorcerers, I think mentioned some episodes ago that caused some sort of big catastrophe or a massacre. If it isn't him, then curious who they were talking about, don't recall the name used when they mentioned it, but I got the impression that it was him.

KrayZ33
Mon, 01-18-2021, 05:10 PM
He can't be just "expelled" because then he wouldn't have to work in secret like that

"I can't be seen talking to demons" etc.
Is what I remember him saying (or at least something similar to that)

But sure, at this point, everything goes.
He could have his "own" group working against the schools.
So when the demon said to him something along the lines of "is it okay to use the fingers you had so much trouble to aquire" (unless I'm totally making this up right now) then that demon could actually refer to him as an "outsider" and not to him as a "member of the high council", which I thought he was on.

Munsu
Mon, 01-18-2021, 06:00 PM
He can't be just "expelled" because then he wouldn't have to work in secret like that

"I can't be seen talking to demons" etc.
Is what I remember him saying (or at least something similar to that)

Maybe the context is of him being seen at all or drawing attention to himself (particularly if he's believed to be dead)? And worse if they connect him to the sudden rise of curses.

But sure, at this point, everything goes.
He could have his "own" group working against the schools.
So when the demon said to him something along the lines of "is it okay to use the fingers you had so much trouble to aquire" (unless I'm totally making this up right now) then that demon could actually refer to him as an "outsider" and not to him as a "member of the high council", which I thought he was on.

All I recall is that there was a reference to someone that went berserk or something, and I figured it was referring to him. But could very well be someone else.

As for the fingers, what was mentioned if it was OK for them to give the school the fingers they worked so hard to acquire, he said it was fine since Itadori absorbed it anyways (which is their aim), so he has no problem taking the other finger. Furthermore that he's working on some ploy regardless... last episode he mentioned he was going to infiltrate or steal them or something. I think the context in that part was because the school wasn't giving them to Itadori and that they may kill him.

Regardless, things should clarify themselves soon enough. In all, I just don't think he's the character who's going to be the traitor. I think he's already not part of the organization and may be thought as dead or a criminal as it is.

neflight86
Wed, 01-27-2021, 03:21 PM
ep15

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that beyond some good action animation and a high body count, Jujutsu Kaisen doesn't have much going for it in the landscape of modern shounen, but I gotta tell ya... That whole scene where the muscle dude was fabricating a 'high school bro backstory' with Yuji (his new fetish buddy) had me in stitches from the moment I realized what it was- and kept getting funnier as it dragged on scene to scene.

Well played, show; well played... I feel a spark of endearment toward you.

Weird how he is already being told his unique (delayed curse energy impact) technique is apparently inherently weak and already needs improving; that usually occurs after a character scores a win or two with a signature move.

Munsu
Wed, 01-27-2021, 03:43 PM
ep15

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that beyond some good action animation and a high body count, Jujutsu Kaisen doesn't have much going for it in the landscape of modern shounen, but I gotta tell ya... That whole scene where the muscle dude was fabricating a 'high school bro backstory' with Yuji (his new fetish buddy) had me in stitches from the moment I realized what it was- and kept getting funnier as it dragged on scene to scene.

Well played, show; well played... I feel a spark of endearment toward you.

Weird how he is already being told his unique (delayed curse energy impact) technique is apparently inherently weak and already needs improving; that usually occurs after a character scores a win or two with a signature move.

I forgot to talk about this episode. I think it was a mistake how they went on to develop this event. We had a lot of tension going into the fight, now it seems like there's nothing at stake. Hope some developments remedy that. Honestly, one of the few episodes that disappointed me. But yeah, I kinda enjoyed that full delusion that dude went into, and nice action when available.

Just feels like we're in a long ass introductory phase still plot wise.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 01-27-2021, 05:20 PM
I KINDA saw it coming, like a long time ago. When they first introduced the fact that this guy's opinion of people is based on their taste in women, I immediately predicted that Yuji was gonna say something that would immediately make him like him when asked(though, without the elaborate false memory).

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-27-2021, 10:55 PM
I KINDA saw it coming, like a long time ago. When they first introduced the fact that this guy's opinion of people is based on their taste in women, I immediately predicted that Yuji was gonna say something that would immediately make him like him when asked

Same. When he's so polar like that, someone's going to give the correct answer and win him over.

Divergent fist has pluses and minuses. The double hit is a nasty surprise because most people will guard against the first hit, so the second lag of energy takes them by surprise. Keeping up your guard for longer than expected would throw your timing off as well.

On the other hand, if your punch and curse energy are both weak-ish individually, then someone with innately high resistance will just feel like they're getting hit by two weak attacks. One would think that syncing both attacks together so they spike in unison would yield the best result. It takes it from being a strange attack with weird timing to being a properly strong attack.

neflight86
Thu, 01-28-2021, 08:44 AM
I guess what is strange to me is that Goto (the strongest person in the series currently) said that attack was very good, and now muscle dude is refuting that. By shounen timing logic, the last person to make a statement (about strength) is usually the most correct, but I'm not sure how to reconcile the contradiction given their standings...

At the same time, Goto is a bit of an airhead who might say things flippantly, but he also oversaw Yuji's training earnestly, so I'm not sure if this is the author pivoting for power up opportunities, or a genuine wrinkle in how this power will be shaped.

David75
Thu, 01-28-2021, 12:14 PM
Goto saw potential, my way of seeing that attack combo is a bit like a missile exploding before impact having a greater destructive power than synchonised or post impact detonation.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 01-29-2021, 04:31 PM
I guess what is strange to me is that Goto (the strongest person in the series currently) said that attack was very good, and now muscle dude is refuting that. By shounen timing logic, the last person to make a statement (about strength) is usually the most correct, but I'm not sure how to reconcile the contradiction given their standings...
Maybe it's good for reasons that Todo doesn't consider to be important.

The double hit seems to work great on curses, and is good for catching targets off guard, but it lacks pure power, which is probably the only thing Todo respects.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-30-2021, 01:53 AM
Episode 16

---------------------

Goto probably said that because it was the best option for Itadori at the time.

But as Toudou said, pure strength is what'll help you defeat the strongest opponents. A strange attack will help you defeat middle tier opponents who are already susceptible to your weaker attacks more efficiently, but it's the strong attack that will win you a battle you'd otherwise lose.

This anime kicks ass. I like the fights, the art style and the characters in general are pleasant to watch. There's not a single character on screen that I wish never had any screen time.

Munsu
Sat, 01-30-2021, 08:44 AM
Honestly, I could've done without the whole s.Cry.ed like mecha, but man I loved Panda. Found it funny that the mission is to kill Itadori, but Toudou goes and tells his new bestie that he's going all out, try not to die.

KrayZ33
Sun, 01-31-2021, 03:58 AM
I like how Mecha-dude switched his tactics nonchalantly from being offensive to elusive without saying anything before Panda started pointing it out.
Kinda cool overall.
Really love the fights too. They are so "diverse". Weapons, abilities, they all have different fighting styles and methods and you can actually see it during the fight much more clearly than in other shows.

neflight86
Mon, 02-01-2021, 12:31 PM
Episode 16

Goto probably said that because it was the best option for Itadori at the time.

That makes the most sense, but I found the timing a bit off. Usually, when shounen main character develops a new killer technique, it is useful at least during one fight or arc before the paradigm shift calls for a refinement. Yuji never even used it in a fight and it is already the old model? Just strikes me as odd...

Good fight for the panda, and I'm glad to know what he actually is, now. I typically wish for some form of power rankings in these battle scenarios- an old habit I've been trying to kick- but the ones in this show confuse me a bit at a glance. The grade is the level of cursed spirit that they can comfortably take on, so they are a bit stronger than those? I suppose that doesn't apply to how they should match up to each other (jujutsu sorcerers). What was the point of this event again, narratively?

For some reason, I thought this was going to be a tournament arc before last episode, but this show moves way too fast for that, I guess. I'll make an effort to enjoy this for what this is, instead of the older shows it sometimes reminds me of.

Munsu
Mon, 02-01-2021, 12:44 PM
For some reason, I thought this was going to be a tournament arc before last episode, but this show moves way too fast for that, I guess. I'll make an effort to enjoy this for what this is, instead of the older shows it sometimes reminds me of.

I thought the same, but I like this better... even though it's technically kinda of a tournament arc, but would've liked or would like to see more group battles instead of individual fights.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 02-01-2021, 03:28 PM
Usually, when shounen main character develops a new killer technique, it is useful at least during one fight or arc before the paradigm shift calls for a refinement. Yuji never even used it in a fight and it is already the old model?Didn't he use it to great effect against Mahito?

Munsu
Mon, 02-01-2021, 03:56 PM
Didn't he use it to great effect against Mahito?

That's something that's been bothering me too, I seem to recall it was effective there as well. Maybe it was also because of the bad match-up he was for him, but it's something that isn't fitting for me in the narrative. Guess we'll see if it's elaborated further.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 02-01-2021, 04:00 PM
I believe it had to do with Mahito's specific nature. The "You can't hurt me unless you hit my spirit core" and something about his special punches allowed him to strike through to his spirit core.

And also the whole "I can't shapeshift his spirit or Sekuna will fucking kill me" bit.

So A. He can't use his main ability on him, and B. He has attacks that can actually hurt him. Just an overall bad matchup.

neflight86
Mon, 02-01-2021, 04:24 PM
...holy moly... I forgot he had and used it during that (Mahito) fight. I rescind my comment. I forgot that fight even took place somehow. I guess other elements of the confrontation took my attention away; the pieces all fit together nicely now.

I think in my mind I thought he wasn't allowed to fight in public since his training because he was supposed to be dead. Whoops. Perhaps because (and this is no excuse or complaint) this show moves so fast I can actually get jumbled as to when events happened.

KrayZ33
Sat, 02-06-2021, 06:22 PM
Episode 17:

Oh wow... look at them go. This was a full episode worth of both action and some background story.
Really awesome.
Loved the fight between Maki and Miwa

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-06-2021, 06:56 PM
Poor Miwa, she knew she was fucked xD.

There's quite a lot of difference in grading amongst all the competitors. Given that there's not very many students at all (only 3 First Graders were enrolled at Tokyo this year), the currently participating students probably form the bulk of students overall (I'd say at least half). Normally it'd be strange to send a mixture of weak and strong participants for a "tournament", but if that's all they've got then that stands to reason. It's officially an exchange event after all.

I can't wait to see Itadori vs Toudou again.

Munsu
Sat, 02-06-2021, 07:01 PM
Agreed, the Maki vs. Miwa fight was awesome, not necessarily because it was a good fight, but all the effects while fighting in the water and the tricks Maki deployed were great to see.

Man, Maki is such a badass... I wonder how the new revelations would affect the Panda rankings and if they do affect it, why Panda didn't judge her appropriately based on what we've seen?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-06-2021, 07:14 PM
Agreed, the Maki vs. Miwa fight was awesome, not necessarily because it was a good fight, but all the effects while fighting in the water and the tricks Maki deployed were great to see.

Man, Maki is such a badass... I wonder how the new revelations would affect the Panda rankings and if they do affect it, why Panda didn't judge her appropriately based on what we've seen?

1) I think Panda rankings just went by official rankings. For example, Curse Voice fellow is strong against curses, but against humans he plays support/sneak attack. Or in this case, not at all - he's just going after the actual goal. Maki can't kill curses without a cursed weapon (can she even make her own cursed weapons, or must she be forever reliant on someone else even if it's a merchant/smith?)

2) I think it was also deliberately there to alter our expectations given that we know Maki vs Miwa was going to happen.

Munsu
Sat, 02-06-2021, 07:42 PM
1) I think Panda rankings just went by official rankings. For example, Curse Voice fellow is strong against curses, but against humans he plays support/sneak attack. Or in this case, not at all - he's just going after the actual goal. Maki can't kill curses without a cursed weapon (can she even make her own cursed weapons, or must she be forever reliant on someone else even if it's a merchant/smith?)

2) I think it was also deliberately there to alter our expectations given that we know Maki vs Miwa was going to happen.

Well, all the instructors agree that she should be second grade, and he who spends a lot of time with her should know better.

That said, when he showed the rankings he mentioned "By my guess, this is where EVERYONE stands", so it very well could be that his guess was only for the other school solely and went with official rankings for his school. I had interpreted it as he was assigning levels to everyone, including Maki, based on his experience.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-07-2021, 05:44 AM
Well, all the instructors agree that she should be second grade, and he who spends a lot of time with her should know better.

That said, when he showed the rankings he mentioned "By my guess, this is where EVERYONE stands", so it very well could be that his guess was only for the other school solely and went with official rankings for his school. I had interpreted it as he was assigning levels to everyone, including Maki, based on his experience.

He went with official rankings period. Even against the enemy he was guessing their official rank. Many know that Maki is as good as 2nd Grade, but they all refer to her as 4th grade because that's what her rank officially is.

The point of that scene was to show relatively strength (albeit incorrectly), and to make us think that both Panda and Maki were punching above their weight in their respective fights.

Based on these fights, I'm guessing that you have to be at least S grade to use Domain Expansion properly.

neflight86
Mon, 02-08-2021, 04:19 PM
Some good fights that only skimp on the emotional investment. My all-time favorites, because they go slower, feel like more buildup which makes the payoffs more impactful due to the context. For better or worse, Jujutsu isn't interested in laying that groundwork very thoroughly, but that can be refreshing in its own way.

Munsu
Fri, 02-12-2021, 10:28 PM
Episode 18:

Another awesome episode, and the stakes have been raised. Rocker grandpa, and Gojo's jokes in this one were good too.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-12-2021, 10:41 PM
I still have no idea how such a cookie cutter shounen show got such a huge budget. Maybe there will be something different down the line, but so far, this is following the Naruto character and plot formula very closely.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-12-2021, 10:50 PM
I still have no idea how such a cookie cutter shounen show got such a huge budget. Maybe there will be something different down the line, but so far, this is following the Naruto character and plot formula very closely.

I hated that the tournament didn't get finished in Naruto, and I likewise disliked that it got disrupted here as well.

But.. you know, they fixed some things here. Like, Naruto isn't obnoxious. Sasuke isn't a dick. Sakura isn't fawning all over him, though is still crass. Kakashi is still hot and masked. Tenten and Rock Lee got rolled into one. Hinata is still best girl. Neji can go fuck himself.

Usually these shows have to kill the strong protective mentor to make the plot proceed, but I hope they don't do that here.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-12-2021, 11:16 PM
Who is Hinata?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-12-2021, 11:41 PM
Who is Hinata?

That's Miwa.

Yeah, I know. Not much of a comparison besides timid and best girl.

But if you've played Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm, then you'd also recognize that both girls have an ultimate attack where they lay a barrier around themselves - and anyone that goes inside gets hit.

Munsu
Sat, 02-13-2021, 12:22 AM

Well, it was a popular manga and very likeable characters. From a plot point, nothing new, just well executed... at least to my liking. I don't know how the future of the series looks, but I was seeing it hyped up even before the anime was announced for quite a while.

Plus it has the horror element to it with actual gruesome imagery, few feature that combo.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 02-13-2021, 03:47 AM
I hated that the tournament didn't get finished in Naruto, and I likewise disliked that it got disrupted here as well.
Same. Gives me blueballs.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-19-2021, 08:39 PM
Episode 19

---------------------------------------

"They killed your friends, but worst yet they disrupted our honeymoon. I can see why you'd get angry"

Fucking Toudou, he's that crazy bitch that also ends up being hilariously chummy with when they happen to side with you.

Let's just not forget that despite being so nice to Itadori he was a complete dick to Megumi.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-19-2021, 11:06 PM
Toudou is nuts and should die.

Remember how he tried to crush Itadori's head against a tree with his foot and thought he succeeded, and was disappointed it was so easy?

Yeah, fuck Toudou.

Munsu
Fri, 02-19-2021, 11:22 PM
Agreed, but he's bringing legit humor... Itadori buying into his "best friend" routine was golden. That said, didn't like when they switched it to calling themselves brothers.

Was it me, or were the colors and animation different than the usual?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-20-2021, 07:27 PM
Agreed, but he's bringing legit humor...

Was it me, or were the colors and animation different than the usual?

Agreed that he's hilarious to watch.

I didn't notice anything different about the animation.

KrayZ33
Mon, 02-22-2021, 03:49 PM
Agreed that he's hilarious to watch.

I didn't notice anything different about the animation.

looking back to check and I don't quite see anything different either, it's probably due to the sun setting this time that it looks a bit different.
Before that, it was mostly daylight or nighttime, never twilight or anything like that.

But jesus. Looking back at all the fight scenes in this show so far. They sure are sweet and fun to look at.
I didn't quite like this one as much as the others, but still.
Feels more like a movie than a series.

And it's not even delayed into 2 cours or anything, they are airing these episodes back to back every week.
Awesome job there.

Just for the lols, I googled "x gon give it to ya jujutsu kaisen" and as expected, I found exactly what I wanted to find :D. hilarious scenes.

Munsu
Mon, 02-22-2021, 03:58 PM
looking back to check and I don't quite see anything different either, it's probably due to the sun setting this time that it looks a bit different.
Before that, it was mostly daylight or nighttime, never twilight or anything like that.

That's the conclusion I landed on as well when Buff said he didn't notice anything, that and maybe effects of the barrier as well.

neflight86
Tue, 02-23-2021, 07:34 AM
Toudou is nuts and should die.

Remember how he tried to crush Itadori's head against a tree with his foot and thought he succeeded, and was disappointed it was so easy?

Yeah, fuck Toudou.

I think Gojo said that decent sorcerers are all eccentric, to varying degrees. On that front, Toudo is on-brand.

Some more great cuts here. I'm also impressed this comes out weekly. The 'bruhser' makes me smile every time.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-26-2021, 02:19 PM
Episode 20

------------------------------

Another delightful episode.

Maybe the tournament will continue after all. There's no point sending students on an investigation while they interrogate the craftsmen dude, so might as well have them finish. It'll just be hard to score this event.

As for the whole swapping thing.. there's only really so many options for you to try (when he was bluffing that he could only personally body-swap). If Itadori was about to land a punch onto Hanami, body swapping Toudou and Hanami makes zero sense. Of course he wouldn't do that.

Edit: Ah yes. The preview answers my continuation question.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 02-26-2021, 11:19 PM
That was a great fight sequence!

KrayZ33
Sat, 02-27-2021, 06:37 AM
That was hilarious.

The BGM during Gojou's attack was kick-ass.

Next ep is going to be jujutsu-baseball.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phqPyCUF5Fk

jesus, this is awesome.
So quick to make a cover too.

Munsu
Sat, 02-27-2021, 11:33 PM
While I've been enjoying this, I thought this fight was dragging too much. Part of what has been making this show good was the great pace it had, particularly during fight sequences.

That aside, really enjoyed the episode particularly learning a bit more about Toudou and how he processes things in his fictitious imaginary world.

And Gojo is so fucking OP, it's great... but I think they're setting him up to die eventually, which will be a shame since he's such a cool character to have around. But if we have enemies just as strong, then maybe he'll stick around to balance things out.

Gives you some perspective on how strong Sakuna most be.

Munsu
Sun, 03-07-2021, 05:42 PM
Episode 21:

Well, this certainly was a complete anti-climax. That said, I can honestly say I loved the baseball sequence even if I thought it was going to be idiotic, I thought there was some comedy gold there.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 03-07-2021, 06:01 PM
Nice pitch.

neflight86
Sun, 03-07-2021, 10:12 PM
Yeah; the "nobody likes Todo" joke finally wore me down and I laughed at his ridiculous personality. I liked how even his player introduction card mentioned his delusions of being old pals with Yuji.

I wonder what the last few episodes of this season are going to be now that the big confrontation is over?

Munsu
Mon, 03-08-2021, 12:00 AM
Yeah; the "nobody likes Todo" joke finally wore me down and I laughed at his ridiculous personality. I liked how even his player introduction card mentioned his delusions of being old pals with Yuji.

I wonder what the last few episodes of this season are going to be now that the big confrontation is over?

I also liked how Itadori seems to acknowledge that he was under some sort of hypnotic spell LOL.

As for what's left, I'd imagine a mini arc featuring one of the curses that was stolen.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-20-2021, 10:41 AM
Episode 23

-----------------

Well, the episode itself didn't explain why Megumi doesn't use his Domain Expansion. Satoru said he limits himself, and Megumi's answer was something like "to be a team player". Unless he has no control of his Domain, or his shadows indiscriminately attack things inside, I don't see how those things are at all mutual.

Munsu
Mon, 03-22-2021, 12:13 AM
Episode 23

-----------------

Well, the episode itself didn't explain why Megumi doesn't use his Domain Expansion. Satoru said he limits himself, and Megumi's answer was something like "to be a team player". Unless he has no control of his Domain, or his shadows indiscriminately attack things inside, I don't see how those things are at all mutual.

Yeah, his development in this episode is dumbfounding, cool action aside... But curious about his backstory, particularly about his parents. Hope to see more of his step-sister in the future too.

Munsu
Fri, 03-26-2021, 04:19 PM
Episode 24:

And so ends the first season, I liked this episode quite a bit and just have two words for it: Itadori Roll!

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-26-2021, 07:26 PM
Yeah, his development in this episode is dumbfounding, cool action aside... But curious about his backstory, particularly about his parents. Hope to see more of his step-sister in the future too.

I rewatched his scene and Gojo's explanation.

So it seems that Megumi has a trump card that is rather suicidal (Sacred Treasure something, that made the special grade jump backwards in fear when he considered activating it). And for that reason apparently, he doesn't try to do anything particularly exciting because he would rather coordinate with a team and also thinks about ensuring he's around to sacrifice his life with that technique if need be.

In episode 23, he considered activating the technique, but gave up and decided to try winning instead of throwing his life away, and this managed to activate his domain for the first time.

Anyway.. ep24 was nice. This series has been fun and I'm looking forward to the next season. Please don't decide to change studios and ruin it like OPM.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 03-26-2021, 11:58 PM
Goddamn, that fight was fantastic!

Nothing rules harder than action synced up to the music.

Kugisaki got to be super cool for once.

Sekuna eating the finger was lol

Munsu
Sat, 03-27-2021, 12:16 AM
Best part of the last episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxrTu7fT1FY

neflight86
Mon, 03-29-2021, 08:23 AM
Best part of the last episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxrTu7fT1FY

While I agree Ippo is typically the best part of any anime, I don't get the connection?

Great fight, animation, and pacing. Jujutsu Kaisen consistently exceeded my low to middling expectations and delivered very solid entertainment weekly. This may be the new 'traditional' shounen standard for ultra condensed storytelling and production. Some vague power interactions and fuzzy world building were small prices to pay for the bombastic cuts we got each week.

Munsu
Mon, 03-29-2021, 09:18 AM
While I agree Ippo is typically the best part of any anime, I don't get the connection?

Great fight, animation, and pacing. Jujutsu Kaisen consistently exceeded my low to middling expectations and delivered very solid entertainment weekly. This may be the new 'traditional' shounen standard for ultra condensed storytelling and production. Some vague power interactions and fuzzy world building were small prices to pay for the bombastic cuts we got each week.

When they turned the tables on the bad guys, he did something that reminded me of the Dempsey Roll on the little brother (green one) at around minute 8:12.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-29-2021, 03:46 PM
Indeed. I knew the move you meant.

I feel like this episode dispels any notion that Kugisaki is this series' Sakura. ...while also showing that she's maybe kind of a psycho.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-30-2021, 01:29 AM
Indeed. I knew the move you meant.

I feel like this episode dispels any notion that Kugisaki is this series' Sakura. ...while also showing that she's maybe kind of a psycho.

She's Inner Sakura.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-20-2022, 11:16 AM
Jujutsu Kaisen 0 Movie BD link (~30GB) (magnet:?xt=urn:btih:5f7881639824fde61627ec710416d f66246b7a0e&dn=%5BTTGA%5D%20Jujutsu%20Kaisen%200%20%282021%29% 20%28Movie%29%20%5BBD%20Remux%5D%20%5B1080p%20True HD%20AVC%5D&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fnyaa.tracker.wf%3A7777%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.stealth.si%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fann ounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.torrent.eu.org%3A451%2Fanno unce)

^ magnetic link.

------------------------------------

-Young Maki was hot.

-Otherwise, pretty enjoyable, well animated but not-ground-breaking movie. I wanted to see what made the whip special.

-I'm pretty sure Suguru was supposedly killed, so the one we see in the main series is an actual curse rather than a human?

-Oh, and did the Shinji vibes hit hard? It should. It's Ogata Megumi (https://myanimelist.net/people/287/Megumi_Ogata) voicing him after all.

KrayZ33
Sat, 10-01-2022, 03:01 PM
I think it was pretty bad for a movie.

The fact that they went through almost a year of training like that didn't feel right.

And his demonic possession was cool when he entered the classroom and then relatively "harmless." and not really scary anymore. He had it all under control so easily.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 07-06-2023, 11:21 PM

---

Prequel season huh?

*sigh*

This isn't retelling the movie, like Demon Slayer does, is it?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-07-2023, 01:04 AM

---

Prequel season huh?

*sigh*

This isn't retelling the movie, like Demon Slayer does, is it?

You mean the Jujutsu Kaisen 0 movie? If so, this would be way before it.

neflight86
Sun, 07-09-2023, 06:34 PM
Haven't seen the movie, but this was a great start to a flashback arc that I had low expectations for (only because it is a flashback; haven't touched the manga).

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-15-2023, 12:03 AM
Episode 26

----------------------

I do enjoy how much Gojo reminds me of Kakashi. I still enjoy the little analysis of techniques during fights.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 07-15-2023, 02:25 AM
Personality-wise, he's nothing like Kakashi.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-15-2023, 02:39 AM
Personality-wise, he's nothing like Kakashi.

Yes. I agree that his personality is quite different.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-20-2023, 01:30 PM
Episode 27

----------------------------

That was tight. Even though I got spoilt about some of the events that happened in this episode, it was still thoroughly enjoyable.

I was expecting Fujishiro to play "dirty", but I didn't expect him to have a Heavenly Pact like Maki. I wonder how he sees curses though since he's not wearing glasses. Presumably he sees them since he's using them and also gauging when Gojo uses his technique. His skills are pretty sick though, and reminds me a lot of a Mage Killer from another well loved series (https://myanimelist.net/anime/10087/Fate_Zero).

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-03-2023, 04:47 PM
Episode 28

---------------------------------------------------

Geto suffered from burnout, and the primary reason is that his technique is actually unpleasant to use. Gojo fixed his with reverse curse technique so now he gets no brain fry. If the opposite happened such that Geto managed to make his curses taste good (and enjoy his job) while Gojo didn't fix his brain drain (such that increasing work is taxing for him), they could have easily arrived at each other's mindsets. Gojo was already undisciplined. Geto wouldn't be any stronger, but he'd think it'd be viable to work harder than to kill every non-sorcerer.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 08-04-2023, 12:04 AM
I really don't think overwork was the primary motivation for Geto's turn.

Anyway, I watched the movie recently, and this arc pretty much leads directly into it.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-04-2023, 12:44 AM
Overwork was totally the cause. He felt tired and his work was unpleasant since it felt like swallowing shit all day. He's also working solo so enjoying time with colleagues is also not a thing anymore for him.

Contrast this with the junior who he was talking to - that guy gets assignments as well, but he's happy to help out. Geto's sick of this shit. Yuki then tells him that there's a way out, which he sees as being completely viable. The mistreatment of the kids in the village was the straw that broke the camel's back.

If Geto orgasms every time he eats a curse I doubt he'd feel anywhere near as bitter about all this and would happily continue to work.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 08-04-2023, 12:54 AM
Straight up disagree. It's just silly to think if curses tasted good, he'd just be totally okay with the fact that all the humans he meets are pieces of shit and all his friends keep dying to save them.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-04-2023, 02:44 AM
Not all humans he meets are shit, but his experience clouds that since all jobs for him are shit - just more or less.

His friends are dying because they're not strong enough. Nanami asks whether they could just leave it to Gojo - but that question can be extended to all the S class as well. Geto is strong enough that he's rarely in mortal danger - hence the school has him working alone. They could also just leave it to him as well.

Geto would not be "totally okay" with the fact that his colleagues are dying. He'd find the situation acceptable enough that he would feel he could work harder (or just continue working) while he lets Yuki find another solution (like waiting for another Heavenly Pact candidate to show up and be studied). He'd find killing humans morally wrong because he'd be able to hold out until a solution avails itself.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 08-04-2023, 03:54 AM
Geto would not be "totally okay" with the fact that his colleagues are dying. He'd find the situation acceptable enough that he would feel he could work harder (or just continue working) while he lets Yuki find another solution (like waiting for another Heavenly Pact candidate to show up and be studied). He'd find killing humans morally wrong because he'd be able to hold out until a solution avails itself.Disagree.

"I'm gonna exterminate 99% of all people."

"...he's just overtired."

Ridiculous.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-04-2023, 01:56 PM
"I'm going with the easiest method of eliminating new curses because I don't think we can continue this marathon"

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-10-2023, 04:04 PM
MAPPA is taking a three-week-long break to prep for the upcoming arc. Luckily, after this, the series will resume to air on a weekly basis.

Although the Shibuya Incident arc is supposed to debut on 10 August, it will only broadcast a recap of the Hidden Inventory/Premature Death arc. On 17 August, there will be a recap of Season 1 and the prequel movie. Lastly, there won’t be any broadcast on 24 August due to other programming.

Therefore, the Shibuya Incident arc will make its debut in Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 Episode 6, which will air on 31 August. The arc will run for 18 episodes, covering the 58 chapters of the manga.

https://www.dexerto.com/anime/why-isnt-there-jujutsu-kaisen-season-2-episode-6-this-week-2244230/

MFauli
Sat, 08-26-2023, 08:59 AM
Finished season 1.

I really must say this is one of the more overhyped anime. No idea why it's so popular. My main criticism is:

1.) The story feels rushed. It often makes sudden jumps between episode, making me feel like I missed a whole episode. It also doesn't take time to properly build up and end scenes, like, they spent half an episode on a baseball match and then suddenly the big inter-school tournament was finished. ok.

2.) The characters are all so bland. Not bad. But bland. Like, I feel what the author was going for, but instead of, again, taking the time to build them up, they're being treated as if you're supposed to know them.

3.) Villains being portrayed in sympathetic manner. Not only do the curses manage to escape again and again, but also do we see them in their villain hideout, hanging around like friends. Idon't care one shit about their "friendship" when we just went from them committing gruesome massmurders.

4.) The power scale is completely fucked up. The first mission is an s-rank. And then they keep running into s-ranks. What's the lower ranks for? So that a video game can be made, featuring a lot of low-rank grind? :/

The animation is quite good and for all my complaints, it was an easy watch, I didn't have to force myself to keep watching, so that's that. From what I've heard, the movie Jujutsu Kaisen 0 is a must-watch before proceeding with season 2, so I'll do that.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-26-2023, 12:54 PM
I see you don't like antagonists doing non-evil things.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-26-2023, 07:50 PM
He can't relate to them that way.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-27-2023, 12:39 AM
I really must say this is one of the more overhyped anime. No idea why it's so popular.Honestly, I was pretty meh on it till that episode 24 fight.

It was a real "Demon Slayer Ep 19" moment.

From what I've heard, the movie Jujutsu Kaisen 0 is a must-watch before proceeding with season 2, so I'll do that.Actually, I would recommend watching the first 5 episodes of S2 first. THEN 0. Since that's the order of events.

MFauli
Sun, 08-27-2023, 04:59 AM
Just finished the movie. That was a lot more enjoyable than season 1, lol. Although villains are again being portrayed as sympathetic despite being murderers. That scene where the sorcerer school's manager guy asks the two shit girls "you're still children, right. You can change", right after they hanged innocent people in the street behind. Fuck them. And later, Gojo literally tells Geto that ALL the big villains managed to escape. That is so cheap.

Reminds me of a certain recent big case in the Detective Conan-manga that was resolved in a total bs way.

STOP TREATING VILLAINS WITH SYMPATHY.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-27-2023, 01:50 PM
bottomtext

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-27-2023, 05:45 PM
Maybe that's a roundabout way of asking to be treated with sympathy.

neflight86
Mon, 08-28-2023, 08:54 PM
Just watched the movie, and it did make the rest of the world somewhat more engaging by giving the characters more screen time and development. For some reason, I thought it involved the grown up version of that martial artist's kid (being enrolled at Jujutsu high), and was waiting for that the entire time, but that's not a big deal; just backstory on what could have been another protagonist.

Why? Villains having more than one dimension - being the hero of their own story - is leagues more interesting than being insane, plain evil, or mustache twirling caricatures. You wouldn't say the same about the Spiders in HxH, would you? Opposing philosophies, circumstances and broad misunderstandings make deeper, richer conflicts in stories. Is the problem that you are afraid someone will mistake the bad guys for the good guys or something?

MFauli
Tue, 08-29-2023, 05:56 AM
Just watched the movie, and it did make the rest of the world somewhat more engaging by giving the characters more screen time and development. For some reason, I thought it involved the grown up version of that martial artist's kid (being enrolled at Jujutsu high), and was waiting for that the entire time, but that's not a big deal; just backstory on what could have been another protagonist.

Why? Villains having more than one dimension - being the hero of their own story - is leagues more interesting than being insane, plain evil, or mustache twirling caricatures. You wouldn't say the same about the Spiders in HxH, would you? Opposing philosophies, circumstances and broad misunderstandings make deeper, richer conflicts in stories. Is the problem that you are afraid someone will mistake the bad guys for the good guys or something?

The spiders in HXH are, even when they have a short, light-hearted scene, always depicted as psychotic, brutal, gruesome killers. I cannot remember any prolonged scene where they're shown just having fun.

And it's got nothing to do with "one dimension"; if you show me someone brutally murdering dozens of people in one scene, then a happy beach scene with lots of laughing at a later time, I'm not gonna jive with that. Especially when the villains keep getting away without any loss on their side.

I need to mention a Detective Conan-spoiler from manga volume 100, so beware spoiler if you aren't up-to-date with DC:
So FBI-agent Camel barely survived and swam to some small island. All the "men in black" are hunting him down. Near the end, they're standing in sight of Akai's sniper rifle, he could have easily shot several of them. Why didn't he? The lame excuse is "had he shot any of them, the rest might have started to shoot back and yadyayada". Pure and utter bs. An entire arc where several FBI-agents were murdered by the "men in black", and not a single of the bad guys got shot? That's pure bs.

And that's exatly the same "treating villains with sympathy" bs I was talking about. These murderous assholes deserve punishment, but the author is so deadset on showing us that they're "friendly" that he forgets about it. Same with Jujutsu Kaisen: We see that silver-haired dude gruesomely shrink and enlarge innocent people, leaving them to a terrible death, only for him to walk away scoff-free, laughing with his "friends" in their beach hideout. Fuck that.

neflight86
Tue, 08-29-2023, 09:01 AM
The spiders in HXH are, even when they have a short, light-hearted scene, always depicted as psychotic, brutal, gruesome killers. I cannot remember any prolonged scene where they're shown just having fun

If you read the manga, or the anime ever gets another season, you'll find they get an entire arc devoted to filling them in (backstory) and giving them sympathetic traits, even having fun with each other. I also don't think they are depicted as brutal, psychotic killers exclusively, even during what was animated.

...And that's exatly the same "treating villains with sympathy" bs I was talking about. These murderous assholes deserve punishment, but the author is so deadset on showing us that they're "friendly" that he forgets about it. Same with Jujutsu Kaisen: We see that silver-haired dude gruesomely shrink and enlarge innocent people, leaving them to a terrible death, only for him to walk away scoff-free, laughing with his "friends" in their beach hideout. Fuck that.

Is what you desire more swift punishment? Modern media in the last 10 or so years has taken to delaying evil comeuppance for entire seasons of material to tease the audience along and make it more satisfying (see GoT; the villains had their way for 4 whole seasons before their karma came home to roost, or started to). This is shounen anime, they (the bad guys) will either lose or lose and become allies by the end of it, no doubt in my mind. If their loss and punishment isn't up to your particular requirements for cruelty, well... I don't know if there's any helping that.

To be clear, I'm not in love with JJK as a whole, but I think villains are one thing it does very well.

MFauli
Tue, 08-29-2023, 10:22 AM
If you read the manga, or the anime ever gets another season, you'll find they get an entire arc devoted to filling them in (backstory) and giving them sympathetic traits, even having fun with each other. I also don't think they are depicted as brutal, psychotic killers exclusively, even during what was animated.

Is what you desire more swift punishment? Modern media in the last 10 or so years has taken to delaying evil comeuppance for entire seasons of material to tease the audience along and make it more satisfying (see GoT; the villains had their way for 4 whole seasons before their karma came home to roost, or started to). This is shounen anime, they (the bad guys) will either lose or lose and become allies by the end of it, no doubt in my mind. If their loss and punishment isn't up to your particular requirements for cruelty, well... I don't know if there's any helping that.

To be clear, I'm not in love with JJK as a whole, but I think villains are one thing it does very well.

I've read the HXH manga (not the latest chapter, I think). The Spiders are never depicted as truly "good" or friendly, they always keep their dangerous aura from when they were first introduced.

And while, yes, some villains should receive punishment quicker, my point is that they're depicted as friendly, as people that you want to hang out with when they're not murdering. Not doing this wouldn't make them one-dimensional. The Akatsuki from Naruto are actually a great example - as long as you ignore filler-content and Kishimoto's love for Sasuke. They're always clearly painted as villains, but definitely aren't one-dimensional or "mustache swirling".

neflight86
Tue, 08-29-2023, 01:32 PM
I think there's a nuanced divide between portrayed as evil versus being simply being dangerous/intimidating. Of course there can be both, but I think the JJK villains with high functioning minds (not mob plain curses) act upon reason before simply hatred or ill-will. You can hold conversations with them before the (inevitable) fight, and they even have some charisma. Taking that away would just make the exchanges so flat and uninteresting.

MFauli
Tue, 08-29-2023, 02:45 PM
Don't get me wrong: It's okay to elaborate on the villain side, show us what they do. But when they're shown as silly goofers, that's what I can't stand. It reminds me of Bleach, in the worst way.

If villains are being shown as "nice", then it goes counter to their entire being, like, WHY ARE YOU MURDERING PEOPLE IF YOU'RE SO NICE?!?

DarthEnderX
Tue, 08-29-2023, 05:58 PM
If villains are being shown as "nice", then it goes counter to their entire being, like, WHY ARE YOU MURDERING PEOPLE IF YOU'RE SO NICE?!?Because they're bigots. They're only nice to their own people.

You act like that's weird, or even not totally realistic.

The real world is full of people who are like "I love hanging out with my own people!

But those other people...they're scum, and the world would be better off without them..."

It's like the entire basis for bigotry. And bigotry is the core of the villain's motivation in JJK. "Humans are vermin that deserve to be exterminated."

MFauli
Tue, 08-29-2023, 06:50 PM
But why must WE see that, Darth?

You might say "to see how fucked up they are", but that's not true. They're depicted way too friendly for that. No, the real reason is that the author "likes" his villains and doesn't want to kill them. That's why the keep getting away. That's why they're having innocent fun when they're not out killing people. It's that. Bleach did the same shit. Boku no Hero, too. And I hate that.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 08-29-2023, 09:20 PM
But why must WE see that, Darth?

You might say "to see how fucked up they are", but that's not true. They're depicted way too friendly for that. No, the real reason is that the author "likes" his villains and doesn't want to kill them. That's why the keep getting away. That's why they're having innocent fun when they're not out killing people.*shrug* I like having greater context into characters' lives.

Cause villains ARE characters, like it or not. We aren't dealing with Foot Clan robots here.

neflight86
Wed, 08-30-2023, 09:33 AM
No, the real reason is that the author "likes" his villains and doesn't want to kill them. That's why the keep getting away. That's why they're having innocent fun when they're not out killing people. It's that.

That is pure speculation. One could argue the author fleshes out the villains and/or allows them to escape justice to keep tension present in the story or because it is a lot of work making and establishing new characters (not to mention the extra time spent in the story itself), so why not get some mileage out of them instead of just killing them off or having them be captured and no longer affect the plot? They got a good fan response? There are plenty of good reasons an author might keep a workhorse antagonist around; not simply because they have accidentally brainwashed themselves into the villain's ideology and like them better than their protagonist. Surely you agree that can be a possibility?

shinta|hikari
Wed, 08-30-2023, 11:03 AM
While I understand the author's idea of expanding villain backstories, I just kinda want them dead and then move on to the next baddie.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-30-2023, 11:55 AM
I personally quite like when the final boss has been in the story since the beginning, or near the beginning. It irks me when some stories introduce the final big bad in the final few episodes of a series - where the fuck were you prior to this? Gundam shows in particular piss me off when they do this.

Very long running series are a bit different. It'd be weird if Buu was sitting around during the Vegeta/Nappa arc.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 08-30-2023, 06:54 PM
WHEN THE FUCK IS THIS SHOW COMING BACK?!

Very long running series are a bit different. It'd be weird if Buu was sitting around during the Vegeta/Nappa arc.It's kinda hard to do when the author hasn't even conceived of the final villain, because they have no idea what the final arc is going to be.

Contrast that to, say, One Piece. Where, it may have taken a while to introduce Blackbeard(or ages to introduce Imu), but you get the impression that Oda always intended for(at least one of them) to be there at the end.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-01-2023, 01:43 AM
Episode 30

------------------

That homage to Evangelion goes as far as to use a similar drum motif as his theme. Nice.

It doesn't sound like he's losing out from his abilities just because they fixed his body though. That's pretty OP if he survives - being able to control any puppet from all of Japan.

On the other hand, if he no longer produces any cursed energy and can only use the remaining 17 years (or less) worth that he's built up then that'd be pretty interesting and balanced.

neflight86
Fri, 09-01-2023, 08:02 AM
He goin' die. Traitors always do.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-01-2023, 08:57 PM
He goin' die. Traitors always do.

Miwa flashing in front of his eyes was the death flag for me.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-07-2023, 01:02 PM
Episode 31

-----------------

The feels hit a bit because Miwa's such a nice girl. The scene where she talked to Mechamaru's puppet and flash to his larger puppet's "corpse" was well done. That said, we didn't see a full corpse of Mechamaru's body proper, but the white spirit guy doesn't seem like the type to leave them alive either. After they both did a fakeout on each other, he'd be even more dead set on making sure Mechamaru's dead.

As for the second half of the episode, the old Zen'in head is called "Special Grade 1", but not "Special Grade". So there's another incremental step around Grade 1 (Semi-Grade 1, Grade 1, Special Grade 1, Special Grade"

Edit: the giant middle finger attack. Lol

neflight86
Sun, 09-10-2023, 10:31 PM
I'll give benefit of the doubt due to the length of (real) time since we've seen those characters and assume there was any on memorable interactions or relationship hinted at between those two before shoehorning in Mechamaru's farewell/death scene. Otherwise, yes, that scene was nice mostly due to Miwa.

If I'm remembering correctly how domains work, I hate the concept as applied in JJK. Simply: "If you're in my domain, I win and my attacks ill always hit you unless you have a 'bigger' domain or some other mcguffin the author had to retcon in (simple domain) to make the fight appear interesting." I'd love to be remembering it wrong, but that is supremely unsatisfying and a lazy way to 'normalize' conceptual powers without putting thought into how they might interact... but on the other hand, if you don't apply a baseline for outlandish abilities you run the risk of jojo fights where everything is unpredictable and whatever may come feels arbitrary as well...

The double edged sword of having strange powers is that they are inherently interesting, but a pain to make interact without being 'cheap'.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Episode 33

-----------------

That was a pretty intense episode. Good stuff.

The maths didn't make sense to me initially, but now it does. He activated the domain for 0.2s, which made everyone catatonic. He spent the next 299 seconds killing while risking the S-class spirits waking up.

But he only needed to "feel" like a minute had passed in order for the technique to activate? That's a little liberal.

I thought Mechamaru died for real. That's a bit of a shame. But as they say, if you don't see the body they ain't dead.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 09-21-2023, 10:47 PM
Nice twist that the villain who's backstory they built up wasn't really the villain.

neflight86
Fri, 09-22-2023, 01:10 PM
When was he shown getting killed, or Goto not attending the burial/creamation? I just watched the movie, so I don't think it was during that, even though they mentioned its protag. Feelin a little confused, here.

I thought Mechamaru died for real. That's a bit of a shame. But as they say, if you don't see the body they ain't dead.

What do you mean? Was he shown alive?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 09-22-2023, 02:10 PM
The voice at the end is Mechamaru.

Geto died, but some curse replaced his brain. Satoru, like a shounen dumbass "genius" just left his body there, instead of torching it or whatever.

neflight86
Fri, 09-22-2023, 05:02 PM
Thanks. Did they ever show his death in the show or movie?

DarthEnderX
Fri, 09-22-2023, 05:46 PM
Thanks. Did they ever show his death in the show or movie?Gojo killed him at the end of the movie. Though it doesn't show the actual death.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-23-2023, 12:00 PM
In this episode it mentioned that Gojo left the disposal of the body to Shouko, so while he didn't just leave it on the street without a care, he also didn't personally make sure it was destroyed.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 09-23-2023, 01:11 PM
In this episode it mentioned that Gojo left the disposal of the body to Shouko, so while he didn't just leave it on the street without a care, he also didn't personally make sure it was destroyed.I wonder if that's a clue to Shoko being some kind of traitor.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 09-23-2023, 08:41 PM
Probably is.

If she failed at the task, she would've mentioned it to Satoru.

BTW, why was Satoru "sealed" and not killed?

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-24-2023, 02:03 AM
BTW, why was Satoru "sealed" and not killed?In-universe, I assume because he's too strong to kill, this was the only way to stop him.

Out-of-universe, so the author can bring him back later.

Given how OP Gojo's powers are, I assume the Big Bad would like to take his body if he can.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-24-2023, 10:34 AM
They don't need him alive to take his body. Geto was dead when he got possessed.

Also, Satoru is just a normal dude if he can't move and his abilities are sealed, so I dunno how they can't kill him at this point.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-24-2023, 11:03 AM
Also, Satoru is just a normal dude if he can't move and his abilities are sealed, so I dunno how they can't kill him at this point.Maybe you can't interact with the sealed target without releasing the seal.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-24-2023, 02:36 PM
That makes sense. They managed to "seal" him because that was the best they could do. If they tried to attack him, his Limitless would render it ineffective anyway, so they had to use a technique that won't be caught by auto-defense. But in the sealed state, they can't do shit to him since he is, well, sealed lol.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-06-2023, 01:02 PM
Episode 35

----------------

Well that was pretty kick ass.

They didn't even show the Senpai's death scene. It's just "yeah we'll gloss over this, you know he's fucked of Toji's here".

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
I wonder if the guy copying his powers will be as competent with them as the original.

Cause that guy beat Gojo, kinda.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-06-2023, 02:36 PM
He beat the older version of Gojo, though. He wasn't even half complete when that happened, no reverse curse or domain. Also relied on a sneak attack to deal a critical blow.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-06-2023, 09:19 PM
He'll need his cursed tools to even stand a chance, and it doesn't look like the reincarnation comes with the storage demon.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 10-12-2023, 01:00 PM
Episode 36

-------------------

Nanami going ham on that guy was so satisfying to watch. The "wall" technique of his is probably just cursed energy reinforcement and the sword guy's output was just that much weaker.

Too bad I'm 100% sure he survived though since his specifically said that his technique helped him survive that otherwise fatal blow, and Nanami hasn't done anything other than punch him thrice. Originally I thought his skill was in dodging, but it must be more than that. I'd guess at moving his vitals, but it looks like Nanami hit his marks.

edit:
Hmm, I guess he did say that "I died. I would have died without my technique" or something, which if translated correctly would suggest that he brings himself back from actual death. Stocking lives also works.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-20-2023, 10:38 AM

---

That musical misdirect was badass.

neflight86
Fri, 10-20-2023, 03:48 PM
Finally... a decent fight in jjk. Hope we get some more.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-20-2023, 05:27 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure what happened at the end there.

Firstly if the blood has a thrombosis risk, it's not really that big of a deal in real life. The explanation sounded like if they tried to use and solidify their blood all round, there's a chance that it'd solidify in the wrong organ and cause a stroke etc - but if that occurred you just need to immediately turn it off and you're fine. The body handles seconds of ischemia just fine. We clot-retrieve hours after the insult with good outcome. If they lose control of the blood once it clots then that's another issue.

But calling a liquid compressible is also physics-bending, so whatever.

On the other hand though, it looked like Sukuna cast a manipulation spell on Choso. Either that, or the way the blood moved was supposed to signify that Itadori was somehow a relative of Choso's.

I also thought Itadori had gotten over his habit of doing weak double-impact punches.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-20-2023, 11:09 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure what happened at the end there.Seemed to me like a 3rd party(possibly the girls), implanted some kind of false memory of Yuji being like a brother to him, which caused him to be too conflicted to finish him off.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 10-26-2023, 10:32 PM
Episode 38

-------------------------

Interesting power-boost for Mei Mei with Bird Strike. Though, if you're controlling the bird, is the bird really the one making the pact? And having a bird's unlocked cursed energy being able to best any modern sorcerer sounds a little too OP for a crow.

The frame thing is kind of cool, but if you learn about it as an enemy you can actually go along with it.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 10-26-2023, 10:59 PM
And having a bird's unlocked cursed energy being able to best any modern sorcerer sounds a little too OP for a crow."Most birds have a full measure of life. But if you can summon it all up, at one time, in one place, you can accomplish something glorious. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-ca7PGMPy0)"

neflight86
Mon, 10-30-2023, 08:00 PM
The crab fight really distills why domain battles are so boring, to beat this dead horse one more time. As soon as a domain is 'used', everyone is screwed except for the new butt-pull methods of avoiding the 'guaranteed-hit' (ugh) effect and searching for an escape. Even a super small domain is enough to strip the primary feature of a domain when its 'fighting' for control at 10 feet wide versus an island and beach? Power scaling be whack.

Okay, enough crying, the disease curse was a little better, even in the domain.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-03-2023, 03:32 AM
E39

------------------

I didn't expect a Sukuna resurrection at this stage of the story.

If Toji is just a zombie that can't converse then that'd be a shame. If the old lady's technique can't terminate then it he should just be normal Toji. I get that it should have no soul, but that was the case when he took over the Grandson's souls in the first place, so if he could talk then, he can talk now. Hopefully we see that next week.

neflight86
Fri, 11-03-2023, 09:50 AM
Toji is an interesting addition to the mix, and I also hope he's not a mindless kung fu zombie.

I forgot about Sukuna. Him killing the girls was begging to be subverted, though. Too bad. That's some more good chaos to the frey.

Of course Jogo came out of nowhere and roflestomped everyone after their near death fight with a spirit just a bit weaker than him. JJK just couldn't help itself- why is almost no one ever evenly matched or close to it?

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-03-2023, 10:58 AM
I'll third the disappointment of Toji being mute now.

Him killing the girls was begging to be subverted, though.I knew they were dead the second she tried to extort him into action by withholding information.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-03-2023, 11:03 AM
I knew they were dead the moment they existed. They literally looked like fodder.

neflight86
Fri, 11-03-2023, 05:40 PM
That's why I expected the twist to be that he didn't kill them.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-03-2023, 07:48 PM
Sekuna doesn't appear to be a Kurama. Don't think they're going to eventually be friends.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-03-2023, 10:56 PM
I mean, Jujutsu Kaisen's twist isn't that it subverts shounen tropes. It's that it likes tragedies.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-10-2023, 04:31 AM
Episode 40

------------------------

That blonde guy that preys on the weak is so detestable. That said, I play that exact style in Overwatch as Sombra, just sneaking around until someone doesn't have their cooldowns and assassinate xD.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-10-2023, 09:20 AM
Disappointing that one of our big cool fights just kinda ends with the guy offing himself. Even if the reason made sense.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-10-2023, 11:11 AM
I did not think that fight was big or cool or even supposed to happen. It was too imbalanced and plot-armor-y. Megumi should've died like 17 times in that fight.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-10-2023, 12:31 PM
I agree in terms of the logic.

If Toji isolated Megumi from the bunch (before Jogo roasted the rest of them) because he thought Megumi was the strongest, then he shouldn't have been holding back and should have pulverised him with that cool-as-fuck barrage he does while holding the enemy down.

On the other hand, if he isolated Megumi because he recognised his son, then the fight shouldn't have actually happened.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-16-2023, 02:02 PM
E41

----------------------------

I had some trouble following this fight, and some low detail shots were noticable. I'm not sure if this is by choice, or if it's due to the strain the MAPPA animators are going through.

So Sukuna in Itadori's body can beat Makora. Meanwhile, Makora can beat a Limitless+SixEyes (but not necessarily Gojo).

Megumi has an interesting suicide attack. So the user can summon a Shikigami as many times as they like, but what's the condition of the "boss fight" ending? If it's death of the Shikigami-or-designated-participants, then you'd always want to fight one with a huge party first to learn its tricks. Once you feel confident, only then should you tackle it alone in order to keep it. For something that adapts like Makora, you'd want to hope that it spawns a new version every time and doesn't learn from your previous attacks.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 11-16-2023, 02:07 PM
Yeah the animation in this episode started to dip a little into Naruto vs. Pain territory.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Episode 42

----------------

Again fights were difficult to follow here. It's like they had key frames drawn but then connected them together with whatever.

It's now watching them fight for fighting's sake rather than being able to actually read everything. These are nothing like the Gojo fights from earlier this season.

I didn't expect Nanami to die. He was a pretty cool character.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-24-2023, 11:35 AM
The reason for the poorly animated fights is because MAPPA, the studio making this, is imploding due to time crunch. The workers lashed out on social media, and you have to note this is a Japanese studio with workers publicly complaining about their employer. They must have been whipped to hell and back for that to happen.

Read a summary here (https://screenrant.com/studio-mappa-why-controversial-anime-animators-overworked-jujutsu-kaisen/).

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-24-2023, 11:56 AM
The reason for the poorly animated fights is because MAPPA, the studio making this, is imploding due to time crunch. The workers lashed out on social media, and you have to note this is a Japanese studio with workers publicly complaining about their employer. They must have been whipped to hell and back for that to happen.

Read a summary here (https://screenrant.com/studio-mappa-why-controversial-anime-animators-overworked-jujutsu-kaisen/).

Yep. Apparently they took on Chain Saw Man when they weren't supposed to, which ate into the production time of JJK S2, according to a reddit thread somewhere.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-24-2023, 01:52 PM
Maybe they shouldna...made a dozen different Chainsaw Man endings.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-24-2023, 02:20 PM
I blame the execs for this. They probably got told by the people in the weeds that there wasn't enough time and people to do these projects back to back and simultaneously but insisted anyway for $$$.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-24-2023, 02:48 PM
I didn't mention it last week, but that Sekuna fight started to dip a little into...Naruto vs. Pain territory.

Hopefully, they touch up the visuals for the bluerays. Lots of shows do that now.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-24-2023, 06:05 PM
I just fucking wish they stop abusing their talent. If these extremely capable animators and other staff quit the industry for good, us fans will be eating shit for a long time, possibly for all time.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 11-30-2023, 01:41 PM

---

Boy! You better not have!

neflight86
Thu, 11-30-2023, 06:34 PM
Feels like she's gonna survive scarred somehow, but we'll see.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 11-30-2023, 07:49 PM
Well she didn't explode at least. Hopefully she'll survive with just some facial scarring.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 12-08-2023, 02:26 AM

---

So she MIGHT not be dead. Which means I MIGHT not have to drop this series.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 12-08-2023, 08:21 AM
She is absolutely dead. She had her head caved in. The guy only said that to make Yuuji fight because otherwise Todo is also dead.

BTW, is there anything stopping Yuuji from just turning to Sukuna again and pawning this dood?

DarthEnderX
Fri, 12-08-2023, 10:56 AM
The guy only said that to make Yuuji fight because otherwise Todo is also dead.Not likely considering he also said it to Todo first. "I used my power on her, but she's probably already dead."

BTW, is there anything stopping Yuuji from just turning to Sukuna again and pawning this dood?Presumably Yuuji. He's not likely to let him out again considering he JUST murdered half a city full of people, no matter how pissed he gets.

I assume Sekuna is the only thing preventing the guy from using his Zone Expansion on them right now.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 12-08-2023, 12:27 PM
Can't Yuuji control him better now that he has gotten over the finger-consumption high? Like, let him out so they survive this, and then seal him back in.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 12-08-2023, 01:56 PM
Can't Yuuji control him better now that he has gotten over the finger-consumption high?How would he know? And why would risk in his current mental state after what Sekuna JUST did?

"Oh shit, I just burned down that orphanage full of kids...but I think I'm going to give this lighter another shot!" Seriously, that's fucking crazy.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 12-08-2023, 02:55 PM
Versus dying and having a cursed spirit kill even more humans? He has done it before, and Sukuna going berserk prior was due to the fingers he consumed. I think it is worth the risk.

Did Yuuji not know Sukuna popped out because of the fingers? If not, I understand him not opting to unleash Sukuna again.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 12-08-2023, 10:40 PM
Versus dying and having a cursed spirit kill even more humans?Sekuna killed way more people today than Mahito.

Did Yuuji not know Sukuna popped out because of the fingers? If not, I understand him not opting to unleash Sukuna again.Well, he was unconscious when it happened, so I don't know how he would.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-09-2023, 01:00 AM
I thought he was conscious when Sukuna is pawning people, meaning he would've heard the conversations with the people who fed him the fingers.

Sukuna killed more people than Mahito as of now. Sukuna has Yuuji limiting him. If Mahito kills Yuuji and Todo, with Gojo imprisoned, well the entire Tokyo Metro area could just be massacred. Who will stop him?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-11-2023, 09:55 AM
Yuuji probably knows he lost control because of the fingers, since he remembers what Sukuna saw (we saw the memory flash into Yuuji when he regained control).

That said, Sukuna has declined helping Yuuji in the past just to watch him suffer.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-11-2023, 10:40 AM
Sure, but he will probably do it if not helping meant Yuuji dying because he will also die.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-11-2023, 11:11 AM
If it was a regular battle, perhaps. But since Mahito is dealing soul damage, Yuuji losing his soul may not mean his body gets wrecked, since the body now houses two souls.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-11-2023, 11:22 AM
Didn't Nobara's head just explode? I think his touch also deals physical damage.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 12-11-2023, 03:27 PM
Didn't Nobara's head just explode? I think his touch also deals physical damage.That's because he used his reshaping ability to reshape his head into...chunks.

But if Mahito uses that power on Yuuji, Sukuna can reach back through the power and kill Mahito, whether Yuuji allows him to or not.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-11-2023, 03:45 PM
So reshaping is what allows Sukuna to counter, but just plain soul damage does not?

DarthEnderX
Mon, 12-11-2023, 07:54 PM
So reshaping is what allows Sukuna to counter, but just plain soul damage does not?In order to use reshape, Mahito's soul has to contact the target's soul, which allows Sukuna to contact him back, and why Mahito can't use his Domain Expansion around Yuuji.

I don't know how Black Flash works. But it's probably just Rasenganing someone with curse energy.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-11-2023, 09:08 PM
Oh, now I remember that Mahito was using the same black flash that Yuuji was using to fight.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-12-2023, 02:09 AM
"Soul damage" to Yuuji was something that was only introduced during this episode I think.

Previously, we had established that:
-Physical damage doesn't really matter to Mahito because if his soul is untouched then he's ultimately safe.
-Yuuji can attack Mahito's soul because having 2 souls in his body means he's always aware of their "outline" per Episode 12.
-Most people are not aware of their own soul's outline, and thus have little resistance to Mahito's Idle Transfiguration.
-When Idle Transfiguration hits, the target's soul is transfigured, which leads to the body being transfigured as well. This can turn them into a monster, or just make them explode.
-Few people survive more than one touch. One of them is Nanami.
-Domain Expansion: Self-Embodiment of Protection hits everything inside, which includes Sukuna if Yuuji was in there.
-Black Flash works when you release your cursed energy within a "trillionth" of a second upon impact with your strike, causing 2.5x damage. So, crit damage. Also apparently causes space distortion.

The fact that Mahito actually does soul damage to Yuuji instead of just physically butchering him though is news to me as of this episode.

The animators did an elevator scene properly this episode.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 12-12-2023, 10:55 AM
It looks like Black Flash is just supposed to amplify attacks. That means the soul damage to Yuuji is more because Mahito also sees the outline of souls (or even beyond that) due to his innate soul manipulation abilities. Yuuji and him are just able to damage souls via punching, regardless of Black Flash.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 12-14-2023, 02:41 PM

---

I swear to fucking GOD if Mahito gets away again...

I think at this point though it's more likely Geto will just absorb him.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 12-29-2023, 12:35 AM

---

Well that's certainly a status quo change.

MFauli
Fri, 12-29-2023, 01:53 AM
This anime is like a worse Bleach :/

"Oh hey, here's a new character who's even cooler" - "No wait, here's ANOTHER new character with an even snarkier grin on his/her face" - "NO WAIT-!"

:/

shinta|hikari
Fri, 12-29-2023, 08:38 AM
It's like Bleach but with endless mostly one-sided fights and random deaths.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-30-2023, 07:55 PM
So... I binge watched this today.
This was 23 episodes of what felt like 90% fights?

I'm kinda exhausted from all the different enemies and fights, but it was rather cool.

The fight against Choso in the subway-toilet and against Mahito who was using this wall-creature to push them against the other side of it was extremely unique in anime and awesome. Such a cool concept.

Season 3 - from what I can tell when I look at the arc-overview - will skip(?) 2 arcs?
Or will they most likely be included up until and including the confirmed "Culling game Arc"

At the very least, I hope they won't skip whole arcs... at the very least, I expect a movie or two.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-30-2023, 10:12 PM
Culling game starts immediately, so those will probably get rolled in.