PDA

View Full Version : Vinland Saga

Munsu
Sun, 07-07-2019, 02:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8hK-KBRjs

Thorfinn is son to one of the Viking's greatest warriors, but when his father is killed in battle by the mercenary leader Askeladd, he swears his intent to have revenge. Thorfinn joins Askeladd's group in order to challenge him to a duel, and ends up caught in the middle of a war for the crown of England.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=20778

Vinland Saga is my most anticipated series this season, based on a manga from the same mangaka of Planetes. Looks like it's well animated, so have high expectations for it.

neflight86
Sun, 07-07-2019, 09:03 AM
I heard that the first three episodes might be dropping at once, so that would make for a tantalizing premiere.

Like Berzerk, this series undergoes a transformation after its first major arc, so parallels could be drawn there if you were looking for them. I wonder how far this adaptation will go?

Munsu
Sun, 07-07-2019, 10:47 AM
I heard that the first three episodes might be dropping at once, so that would make for a tantalizing premiere.

Like Berzerk, this series undergoes a transformation after its first major arc, so parallels could be drawn there if you were looking for them. I wonder how far this adaptation will go?

It's 24 episodes. I don't recall how long the first major arc (not sure if this was the first all told, but we know what you mean) was in the manga, but assuming there's enough content (and I think there is), I hope the whole 24 episodes is the first arc and leave it at that. That leaves it at a very good stopping point, and from there decide if they want to do a sequel for the rest or just leave it there.

I just don't know if there's any other good stopping point. If they go beyond the first major arc, I think everything will be rushed and suffer for it.

And yeah, I've heard the same, that it's dropping 3 episodes today, so hopefully it's true. And I'm also reading that Amazon Prime may be simulcasting, or is it only in JP?

Munsu
Sun, 07-07-2019, 12:22 PM
Yep, first 3 episodes are indeed out:

https://www.amazon.com/Somewhere-not-here/dp/B07TVV16BV/

Sapphire
Sun, 07-07-2019, 07:18 PM
Wow Amazon.com, I feel like this is so legit.
Thanks Munsu!

MFauli
Mon, 07-08-2019, 07:55 AM
Episode 1-3:

I like it. Episode especially flew by in no time.

One point of criticism: I hated the very first scene when Thors killed 1,5 boats' cews with no effort at all. I know that 95% of all actiin-anime do this, but after the many Berserk-comparisons I expected more grounded, realistic action.

Btw we all agree that Thors is a walking death flag, right? All I see when I look at him is Mufasa 🙈

And Ari will die, too. Which sucks, because I like him ;/

Munsu
Mon, 07-08-2019, 11:29 AM
Episode 1-3:

I like it. Episode especially flew by in no time.

One point of criticism: I hated the very first scene when Thors killed 1,5 boats' cews with no effort at all. I know that 95% of all actiin-anime do this, but after the many Berserk-comparisons I expected more grounded, realistic action.

Btw we all agree that Thors is a walking death flag, right? All I see when I look at him is Mufasa ��

And Ari will die, too. Which sucks, because I like him ;/

Berserk with grounded, realistic action? Hmm...

And who here compared it with Berserk anyways?

MFauli
Mon, 07-08-2019, 11:40 AM
Berserk with grounded, realistic action? Hmm...

And who here compared it with Berserk anyways?

Stop saying 'here', there's anime talk elsewhere and EVERYONE was comparing this to Berserk.

Munsu
Mon, 07-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Stop saying 'here', there's anime talk elsewhere and EVERYONE was comparing this to Berserk.

Well, it's being discussed 'here', can't tell where you're coming from if you don't clarify who "EVERYONE" is as the only mention on Berserk 'here' didn't have to do with anything but structure.

Regardless, the points stands of a Berserk comparison leading you to believe that the action should be grounded and realistic.

Kraco
Mon, 07-08-2019, 01:52 PM
I don't see how this would be any less realistic than Stallone single-handedly defeating a whole company of enemies in any of his numerous action movies. That's just how you make a tough hero character.

This seems to be going pretty decently. Production values aren't terrible at all. The English scanlation is obviously fully English, so it's interesting to listen to the dialogue, which has all the Japanese expressions and such, which got lost in the translation. A bit like watching the Japanese Skyrim gameplay, I guess.

MFauli
Tue, 07-09-2019, 06:55 AM
19 days until episode 4, wtf. Why release 3 episodes at once then? These fuckers ...

And Jojo and Kidou Senshi Gundam also 19 days ...

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-09-2019, 09:07 AM
It sucks that a saint like Thor is so gonna die.

And now the kid won't know what his dad wanted to say to him. He'll have to get back to his mother for that.

KrayZ33
Wed, 07-10-2019, 11:33 AM

Doesn't change the fact that Guts is literally known as the guy who fought and killed 100 men.

So... what's that thing about being "more grounded" and "realistic" about?

MFauli
Wed, 07-10-2019, 12:34 PM
Doesn't change the fact that Guts is literally known as the guy who fought and killed 100 men.

So... what's that thing about being "more grounded" and "realistic" about?

Didn't know there were Berserks in Vinland Saga 🙄

KrayZ33
Wed, 07-10-2019, 01:17 PM
What are you even talking about.

It's not even funny anymore, you should know that berserkers are skandinavian... but that's not the point.

You aren't making any sense. You said you thought Vinland Saga's action would be similar and more "grounded" and "realistic" just like Berserk. Berserk isn't any of that, not even close.

Well, I'll go ahead and consider your last post as a way of saying "Damn, you guys are right, I'm a big doofus - I was talking out of my arse there." and will ignore your flimsy attempt to somehow justify that nonsense with even more nonsense

- No problem.

Anyways, I really enjoyed this show so far. Sure thing, this show could've had more realistic fights but overall it's not ridicilous over the top either.
I do love their clothing and rather realistic approach of that.
The common folk is clothed in rather diverse armor and weaponry, that is very cool, just like it should be. On top of that, the characters are all memorable so far and hardly any "look-alikes" too.
What a blast to look at, it seems anime doesn't need blue and pink hair to distinguish the main characters from the rest.

I really hope that the kid MC will grow up to be a decent bloke and not be dumb as a rock and follow his fathers legacy in some way... and I sure hope to see more of that some sweet sweet viking armor along the way.

The OP gave away what will happen to the kid though and those enemies in front of them right now though and it already saddens me that it looks like he's going to be some kind of nordic-ninja. Silly.

If this show is good enough, I'll probably end up buying TW: Thrones of Britannia on a whim at some point.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-12-2019, 11:31 PM
I'm wondering how a battle deserter managed to take his royal wife and kid with him. That last part kinda makes things hard.

neflight86
Thu, 07-18-2019, 07:19 AM
My guess is she 'dissapeared' one night. That is what probably tipped off Floki.

Ladies and gentlemen... I present to you... Askeladd. Possibly my favorite singular manga character of all time. I don't really like his voice, but I'm hoping to get used to it. It actually makes him seem more unassuming than he really is, but that also plays into his character; someone who wants to be perceived as 'weak'.

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-28-2019, 01:06 PM
Episode 4

----------------------

man, the combat with swords in this show is so much better than the one handed ninja-katana stuff you usally see.

Quality wise, this short duel on the boat reminded me of Sword of the Stranger

neflight86
Sun, 07-28-2019, 07:34 PM
It was animated well. I actually forgot the fight went on after Askeladd's first sneak attack; beceause he already recognized he was out of his league I thought.

"I cant surrender in front of my men" won him the fight. lol

MFauli
Tue, 07-30-2019, 06:33 AM
The fight against Askeladd was good.

But this anime has a big problem with proper 'power levels'. Even Guts had trouble in this 'fight against 100'. Thor just defeated 28 guys with just his fists, without breaking a sweat, and, hell, withlut even looking. It felt like I was watching 'Dragon Ball: Vikings' for the first half of the episode. Defeaing 28 guys can be okay, but at least present it *a bit* more believable. I thought about recommending this show to my brother who rarely watches anime these days, but when he sees that fighting scene, he'll laugh, say 'that's why I've grown out of anime' and quit it. And I couldn't blame him.

Btw: Someine really needs to check ships before sailing off, lol :D

KrayZ33
Tue, 07-30-2019, 10:09 AM
'that's why I've grown out of anime' and quit it. And I couldn't blame him.

My favorite argument for this is always:

"uhum, yet you watch "The Matrix" or, Bruce Willis movies such as "Last man Standing" and all that.
Or movies such as Troy etc." or any of the comic-hero movies these days.

Not that I wouldn't love to see more of a struggle like during the duel but in terms of powerlevel, it should be seen as "professional boxer vs some random street thugs".

I don't like the "powerjumps" though

MFauli
Tue, 07-30-2019, 10:18 AM
My favorite argument for this is always:

"uhum, yet you watch "The Matrix" or, Bruce Willis movies such as "Last man Standing" and all that.
Or movies such as Troy etc." or any of the comic-hero movies these days.

Not that I wouldn't love to see more of a struggle like during the duel but in terms of powerlevel, it should be seen as "professional boxer vs some random street thugs".

I don't like the "powerjumps" though

I mean, Vinland Saga gave me the impression that it tries to depict a more grounded vikings life. Not sure why you'd compare it to action-flicks. When I'm watching Dragonball, ridiculous shit is ok. When I'm watching Monster, it's not.

If I took Hollywood movies to compare VS's general atmosphere to, I'd choose movies like The Patriot or Braveheart - stories where the hero killed countless foot soldiers, but had to work for it.Unfortunately, not the case in this anime.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-30-2019, 03:28 PM
I was slightly annoyed at the medical portrayal in Monster, as if medical miracles and performances are entirely controllable and dependant on a doctor's skill. That's not true.

neflight86
Tue, 07-30-2019, 06:55 PM
Isn't creating animation tightly tethered to physical realism as an inalienable rule at least to some degree kind of defeating the point of animation?

Enjoy what you watch because you like it. Don't try to watch anime in spite of it being anime; just watch something that suits your current tastes better. If someone feels like anime is for a younger crowd, it isn't worth the effort to 'change their mind' when there is so much media vying for our attention. Production of television and movies could stop dead right now and we'd all have a lifetime of media we haven't consumed yet; no reason to force a single show on someone.

//rant

You could argue that an elite Jomsviking could hold his own against a few disorganized pirates on tiny ships that reduce their number's effectiveness.

MFauli
Tue, 07-30-2019, 07:51 PM
You could argue that an elite Jomsviking could hold his own against a few disorganized pirates on tiny ships that reduce their number's effectiveness.

And I said that. But even an elite fighter will have to show some effort and not be literal Son Goku. 💁

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-11-2019, 01:50 PM
Episode 6

--------------------------

This has become rather grim. Thorfinn is becoming a monster just so he can fight a "fair duel". What is a duel like that worth when you betrayed everything else just to achieve that.

neflight86
Sun, 08-11-2019, 05:16 PM
Askeladd is history's finest middle manager. Not too concerned with the underlings, but he looks out for them when his department's well being is at stake.

Nice twist on the 'nursed an enemy who became our savior' (he was no savior) story so common in anime.

MFauli
Mon, 08-19-2019, 06:45 AM
Episode 7:

Berserk-level bad animation and Naruto-running almost made me quit not even 2 minutes in ��

And even though Im repeating myself: The way "important" characters are overpowered ruins any feeling of danger. As it was presented, Thorfinn could have killed all enemies by himself :/ I dont understand why the mangaka thought this to be bettter than depicting the cruel, gruesome, scary reality of fighting to the death. The hero would win either way, but id be so much more satisfying to see a hero having to put in some real effort rather than slashing away opponemts like its a Musou-game.

Ah, sigh. Ill probably get shit on for that opinion again, but I cant help but feel somewhat disappointes.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-19-2019, 08:06 AM
I didn't mind it much. In real life opponent skill can easily be outmatched by increasing your numbers, but that doesn't stop Jackie Chan's movies from being entertaining.

I get your whole "make it harder for the MC" thing, but if it meant this scene was going to be dragged out then I'll take what we got. Take me to their dual already.

KrayZ33
Mon, 08-19-2019, 10:38 AM
Oh man!

That episode was awesome.
Can't say I'm a fan of him killing people left and right like that (the first one losing his fingers was good, they should have let him kick the others off the walls etc.) but the whole battle was fun to look at.
I like how the battles are being pictured in this show.
The armor, the weapons, the shields. It fits so well.
I also like how the Vikings look so unique and that they go all the way to show that in every scene. They aren't in uniform, each and everyone wears whatever he owns.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-25-2019, 12:57 PM
Episode 08

-----------------------------------

Thorfin man... I thought you were better than that. Ah well.

Bjorn's comment didn't make sense to me this episode. Thorfin jumped backwards to soften the blow from Boss fellow. That didn't seem to have anything to do with daggers being good super close.

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-25-2019, 01:47 PM
I'm glad that Thorfin is still far to inexperienced for this thing.

The portrayal of war and looting in this show is amazing. I just love it. I believe it captures the viking-stereotype extremely well.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 08-28-2019, 11:47 PM
Watched all of this today. Pretty slow at first but enjoying it now.

Every time Thorfinn says, "My dad only lost cause you took me hostage!", I want someone to go, "So if you hadn't been there, he wouldn't have died."

Berserk-level bad animationFuck you. Berserk wishes it was getting this treatment.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-29-2019, 04:11 AM
"My dad only lost cause you took me hostage!", I want someone to go, "So if you hadn't been there, he wouldn't have died."

I wonder how many from that boat aside from Leif realised that Thors expected himself to die in battle ever since he left Vinland (or at the very least, expected to serve in military without ever being able to return to his peaceful Vinland life again, which was why giving his life to Askeladd at that point wasn't such a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

This is especially the case if you think that Floki would be backstabbing him at every opportunity during the war as well.

KrayZ33
Sun, 09-15-2019, 01:42 PM
Episode 10

------------------------------------------------------

I just love this show.

MFauli
Sun, 09-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Episode 11:

Seriously?! THAT is supposed to be a shocking twist? Lol

KrayZ33
Sun, 09-22-2019, 02:02 PM
Hmmm? What are you trying to say.

I'm actually glad that they remembered to animate the 2 missing fingers throughout this episode.

MFauli
Sun, 09-22-2019, 05:17 PM
I'm saying that it was obvious that the 'prince' actually was a girl

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-22-2019, 11:13 PM
Is he? I thought they were just commenting on how bishi he is.

MFauli
Sun, 09-22-2019, 11:55 PM
I thought so. Oh well. (i don't know the manga, so no spoilers here)

KrayZ33
Mon, 09-23-2019, 12:07 PM
I'm more or less not seeing it because Canute as a girl would make no sense.

In Fate, King Arthur being a girl pretending to be a man made sense because they were in need of a man holding the crown for stability etc. etc.

But here? "He's" the second in line, the King has no need for a weak successor and it would only hurt the kingdom.
How or with whom would he switch places anyway? Unless he has a twin sister and it's her we are seeing right now, it wouldn't be possible. After all, the hair doesn't grow over night and in the end he'd still look like a girl.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-23-2019, 02:19 PM
It should also be noted that Vinland Saga's world is loosely based on actual history, with many characters being actual historical figures.

So even if you aren't a reader of the manga, you can know things about certain characters and events just by knowing history.

KrayZ33
Mon, 09-30-2019, 11:46 AM
Episode 12

---------------------------------------

Can't help but think that this show keeps on being interesting. Even when they don't do much and march for a whole episode. The stuff that is happening in the background and on the side manages to hype me up for the next episode. I like the way it tackles all kind of different topics, such as danes who are slowly being drawn to christ.
I'm glad it's 24 episodes

MFauli
Tue, 10-01-2019, 11:47 PM
I like it, but had very different expectations. Instead of Berserk minus fantasy, I got Dragonball Vikins Editions. That's fun, too, but initial comparisons made by other people made it harder to get into.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 10-02-2019, 03:58 AM
Instead of Berserk minus fantasy, I got Dragonball Vikins Editions.That's stupid. It's 100% the former, and it's dumb to come away thinking it's the latter...

MFauli
Thu, 10-03-2019, 11:44 AM
That's stupid. It's 100% the former, and it's dumb to come away thinking it's the latter...

It's 100% not

KrayZ33
Thu, 10-03-2019, 11:56 AM
How is it not?
How is it even remotely close to Dragonball but not Berserk?

Just because they can jump 6 meters instead of 3?
Or cut through 5 people?
'Guts' what happens in Berserk?

MFauli
Thu, 10-03-2019, 01:09 PM
How is it not?
How is it even remotely close to Dragonball but not Berserk?

Just because they can jump 6 meters instead of 3?
Or cut through 5 people?
'Guts' what happens in Berserk?

Guts is the main character and THE point of the series: He's a human who's so inhumanely seeking to become stronger that he slowly but surely surpasses human limits.

In Vinland Saga, EVERY person who's Important has super-human strength to the point where I had to laugh out loud (Thorkell throwing stoned all the way abive the river onto the enemy camp? Lol).

It's literally polar opposites:

Berserk: grounded world with some fantasy
Vinland Saga: fantasy with the visual coating being our real world

KrayZ33
Thu, 10-03-2019, 01:50 PM
*sigh*...

oh man, if you could only see the irony, you'd be so embarrassed.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 10-03-2019, 02:01 PM
In Vinland Saga, EVERY person who's Important has super-human strength to the point where I had to laugh out loud (Thorkell throwing stoned all the way abive the river onto the enemy camp? Lol).Yeah dude. They're fucking VIKINGS! This is one million percent historically accurate.

MFauli
Fri, 10-04-2019, 12:56 AM
Yeah dude. They're fucking VIKINGS! This is one million percent historically accurate.

Ok, Dr Stone!

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-06-2019, 01:03 PM
Episode 13:

new OP new ED,

I like the ED. The OP not so much.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-17-2019, 11:56 PM
Episode 18

------------------------

Well that doesn't make much sense. The prince had an epiphany, sure... but.. yeah, I don't even know where to start taking this apart.

Thorfinn vs Thorkell was exactly like a boss battle. Good stuff.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 11-18-2019, 02:10 AM
It's like he went from zero to Griffith in less than 30 minutes.

MFauli
Mon, 11-18-2019, 04:24 AM
I wish the Berserk comparisons would stop :z the 2 series are tonally polar opposites.

KrayZ33
Mon, 11-18-2019, 04:41 AM
Then stop comparing them? Lul wut

It's not like we were the ones who went in here expecting "berserk minus fantasy"
At the same time, Vinland Saga is most definitely not the polar opposite of Berserk.
Hyperbole much?

MFauli
Mon, 11-18-2019, 08:04 AM
Hyperbole much?

I HATE YOU, DAD!

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-01-2019, 02:28 PM

---

Oh yeah! He gettin' so Griffith!

Sucks about Bjorn, I liked that character. But I guess he'd be redundant with Thorkell around.

KrayZ33
Sun, 12-01-2019, 04:22 PM
These episodes end so fast.

I do hope they'll announce a season 2.
And that the next season has the same quality.

MFauli
Sun, 12-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Askeladd almost activating Super Saiyajin 🤷*♀️🐧

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Episode 21

These episodes end so fast.

Damn right.

Askeladd losing his only friend and loyal backing plus showing that he's lost his near-perfect technique all in one scene.

Thorfinn picked one bad day to duel.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-08-2019, 06:05 PM
I'm always surprised by how much time has actually passed in this series. Like I get Thorfinn has gotten older, but apparently it's been almost a decade now. Alotta, like, year-long timeskips between episodes.

And Thorfinn is like, the exact same shitty kid he's been since year two...

I'm sure for a minute there MFauli was getting ready with some "told ya so"s, until they revealed the Prince(ess) was a double. :p

MFauli
Sun, 12-08-2019, 08:32 PM
I'm always surprised by how much time has actually passed in this series. Like I get Thorfinn has gotten older, but apparently it's been almost a decade now. Alotta, like, year-long timeskips between episodes.

And Thorfinn is like, the exact same shitty kid he's been since year two...

I'm sure for a minute there MFauli was getting ready with some "told ya so"s, until they revealed the Prince(ess) was a double. :p

LOL, I was tricked for a moment, too :p

KrayZ33
Sun, 12-22-2019, 04:26 PM
Episode 22:

I need more episodes!

Askeladd is probably the most fun character I've seen in a while.
It's getting really intense.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-24-2019, 03:31 PM
This show taught me that Artorius is an old timey way to say Arthur.

So now I think Artorius of the Abyss in Dark Souls is a Ghosts 'N Goblins reference.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-29-2019, 01:22 PM
Episode 24

-----------------------------------------

What an ending.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-29-2019, 02:33 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this. And the fact that the last episode was called End of Prologue...that has me excited as hell for season 2.

MFauli
Sun, 12-29-2019, 05:41 PM
No idea who that guy with the short orange hair at the end is supposed to be.

Janice
Sun, 12-29-2019, 10:46 PM
Amazing episode. I remember when the manga reached this part, and I thought "woah, this was all just the prologue?"

Also, It's confirmed that Season 2 won't start in 2020, so it'll probably be the end of 2021 or 2022 til we get an animated continuation.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-29-2019, 11:11 PM
No idea who that guy with the short orange hair at the end is supposed to be.Pretty sure most of those clips at the end were alluding to future arcs.

MFauli
Mon, 12-30-2019, 12:03 AM
Amazing episode. I remember when the manga reached this part, and I thought "woah, this was all just the prologue?"

Also, It's confirmed that Season 2 won't start in 2020, so it'll probably be the end of 2021 or 2022 til we get an animated continuation.

Ah, the good ol' AoT strategy: Wait so long for the continuation that people have moved on and don't care much when it eventually airs again.

;i

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-30-2019, 12:42 AM
Many series of old had sequels years apart. Apparently it helps with pacing and burnout of animation staff so that's fine. I've never encountered a sequel where I then thought "It's been too many years, not watching."

DarthEnderX
Mon, 12-30-2019, 01:19 AM
Ah, the good ol' AoT strategy: Wait so long for the continuation that people have moved on and don't care much when it eventually airs again.And because the result is no compromise in quality, when it finally finishes, it will a complete package free of blemishes, that will likely be an unqualified classic, forever.

MFauli
Mon, 12-30-2019, 02:37 AM
And because the result is no compromise in quality, when it finally finishes, it will a complete package free of blemishes, that will likely be an unqualified classic, forever.

Chihayafuru S3 sucks. I don't know if it's because the manga got shit, too, or because the anime ruined it. But clearly there's no universal 'more time = no compromise'.

KrayZ33
Mon, 12-30-2019, 09:42 AM
Chihayafuru S3 sucks. I don't know if it's because the manga got shit, too, or because the anime ruined it. But clearly there's no universal 'more time = no compromise'.

If you don't even know the source material, why do you use it as an example. It completely invalidates your statement.

MFauli
Mon, 12-30-2019, 10:05 AM
If you don't even know the source material, why do you use it as an example. It completely invalidates your statement.

It's irrelevant to the issue?

DarthEnderX
Mon, 12-30-2019, 12:57 PM
Chihayafuru S3 sucks. I don't know if it's because the manga got shit, too, or because the anime ruined it. But clearly there's no universal 'more time = no compromise'.Well obviously the thing being adapted maintaining it's quality is a prerequisite. Can't make good anime out of crappy manga.

I'm looking at you, Bleach.

KrayZ33
Mon, 12-30-2019, 01:22 PM
It's irrelevant to the issue?

No.

What Darth said.
Otherwise it'd sound like the animation studios decide on what the story is about and what events are up next.

KrayZ33
Wed, 06-08-2022, 10:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL0tEVZACiU

lets go.

neflight86
Thu, 06-09-2022, 03:07 PM
Never finished the first series, but I read most of the manga (years ago) and the story takes... an unexpected turn.

I've heard that events in the anime are starkly different from the Manga at the end of the first season, so I'd be curious to see how it gets adapted from here.

KrayZ33
Thu, 06-09-2022, 11:33 PM
Never finished the first series, but I read most of the manga (years ago) and the story takes... an unexpected turn.

I've heard that events in the anime are starkly different from the Manga at the end of the first season, so I'd be curious to see how it gets adapted from here.

That... makes me want to rewatch the anime.
I don't remember it being different, but I hardly remember the exact details.

Pretty sure it ended with the assassination of the king and the same amount of people are dead.

MFauli
Mon, 01-09-2023, 03:29 PM
Season 2 Episode 1:

For one: Again, a recap would have been nice. I have no idea who that guy is and why Thorfinn ended up as a slave.

For two: Darwin Award, anyone? That first 10 minutes was so dumb that, had it been a new anime, I would have dropped it. Mother says "run, once you're in the forest, keep running!". What does the daughter do? Stops running. Runs back. And then she AND her brother lose all their IQ and fucking KEEP sitting next to the dying mother, even after they became aware that deadly villains are approaching. That was so utterly infuriating. A momentary reluctance to leave your mother, yes, I get it. But both sitting there until the villains stood right behind them, wow. That's literally giving up on life.

Really ruined this origin story, because of how dumb it started. :/

Episode 2 will be the real start, I guess. Although I don't get why Thorfinn would stay a slave. Unlike this dude, he's a seasoned fighter. Give him any blade and he's a killing machine.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 01-09-2023, 11:50 PM
Yeah, TF wasn't a slave at the end of S1, right?

Guess they'll have to flash back to it later.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-11-2023, 09:56 AM
Yeah, TF wasn't a slave at the end of S1, right?

Kinda, but not really.

-Dad got recruited for a war. Dad said no.
-People attacked.
-Dad was a boss but Thorfinn snuck on board and Dad had to trade his life for Thorfinn's.
-Thorfinn joined the "pirates" as their bitch for opportunities to kill Askeladd.
-Old trader friend has been looking for Thorfinn since.
-Askeladd is secretly a Welsh royal/spy or something and ultimately seemed to think that Canute would make a good Danish king while his dad was shit.
-Askeladd killed the Danish king.

-so I guess Thorfinn was then rounded up and sold as a criminal slave?

DarthEnderX
Wed, 01-11-2023, 12:58 PM
I thought the understanding was that, after the prince killed Askeladd, that Thorkell and Thorfinn were basically supposed to become his entourage.

MFauli
Mon, 01-16-2023, 06:34 PM
Season 2 Episode 2:

Good episode. Interesting to watch. There's only two things I gotta criticize:

- that tiny piece of bread and cheese. It's physically impossible that 2 grown men survive on that for their daily meal. I'm gonna pretend that they get more somewhere
- the pacing is slow. This will be an anime that's great for bingewatching, but the weekly wait will be terrible

Still, I'm invested in the characters again. I guess I'm a bit wary of how this episode was SUPER happy, food bringers aside, compared to the first episode. Either the master isn't as friendly as it looks right now or the farm is about to be attacked and this time Einar will finally fight back with Thorfinn's help.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 01-17-2023, 12:16 AM
- that tiny piece of bread and cheese. It's physically impossible that 2 grown men survive on that for their daily meal. I'm gonna pretend that they get more somewhereI assume there's more than 1 meal.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-21-2023, 09:07 AM
Finally some action based on next week's preview. I'm yawning during this farming simulator. Meanwile Einar's integrity goes out the window because he didn't want to complain in front of a woman. lol.

MFauli
Mon, 01-23-2023, 12:19 PM
Season 2 Episode 3:

Ugh, taking the entire episode to get to that point. Pacing feels glacial rn.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-23-2023, 02:21 PM
Ooh so Thorfinn has amnesia?

Well... fuck. This is going to take a while to get over then. It's not like he chose farming or something. He got into this because he didn't know/remember any better.

Fox kinda fucked up. Yes he made the comment of accusing the slaves of plotting to run away. But he did note that they're the Owner's property. They're not his to freely cut up. How does he even intend to explain this to the boss if Thorfinn dies from sepsis?

DarthEnderX
Mon, 01-23-2023, 03:24 PM
Ooh so Thorfinn has amnesia?I was wondering. Although it's not really clear. All his said was he had a dream of something he shouldn't forget.

MFauli
Tue, 01-24-2023, 12:28 AM
Oh, I thought the dream referred to Thorfin having a premonition about getting killed by Kitsune.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 01-24-2023, 05:00 AM
I thought Thorfinn dreamed of his past horrors, none of which he actually remembers when he's lucid, thus explaining why he's an obedient little farm boy these days.

And hence next week's title "Awakening" with a montage of Snake fighting/training him.

It doesn't make much sense for people to wake up and go "Oh, I just had a dream. I shouldn't forget that dream". Established prophets do that, but only when they've experienced proof that their dreams mean something.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-30-2023, 03:56 PM
Episode 04

--------------------------

Hmm...

So last week (subtitles aside - just listenning to the audio) he said something like "There's something I mustn't forget. That's the type of dream I had I feel", which is effectively their translation.

The episode title for Ep04 was Awakenning.

After the fight, Thorfinn told us about his past and seems like he remembers everything. His demeanor doesn't change though, which would suggest that he hasn't acquired any new information or memories.. so now I think he doesn't have amnesia.

MFauli
Mon, 01-30-2023, 08:24 PM
Man, they really should have made a movie instead of a series. Pacing has slowed down from glacial. It's all very good content-wise, but wow, an entire episode spent on getting treatment and sleeping.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 02-06-2023, 03:30 PM

---

One of the things I like about this show is I honestly have no idea where it's heading.

Like, is Canute being set up to be Thorfinn's Griffith? Or his king? I don't know. S1 talked about Vinland like it was the One Piece. And in S2, it hasn't even been mentioned.

MFauli
Mon, 02-06-2023, 04:19 PM
Tbh was this episode needed? An entire episode spent to show how Canute became king. Yet they casually fast forwarded 1 year and then another 7 months. Could have just summarized everything in the first 3 minutes.

Usually I'd agree with DearthEnderX' stance, not knowing where a story goes is a good thing. But here I'm wondering what they'll try to make us care about when they so easily skip a year of preparations for poisoning Ethelred, then skip a, as described, tough war against the new king. Like, that "tough war" is what we got to see in s1. Why should I care about any upcoming war when it could be just easily fast forwarded?

The little I believe to predict: The big guy, forgot his name already, will become Canute's enemy and probably team up with Thorfinn and Einar at some point. I just don't know what their reason for war will be, because Canute seems to be a peace-loving king in the greater scheme.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 02-08-2023, 06:58 AM
This episode was better than the previous 3.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 02-20-2023, 11:43 PM

---

I'm thoroughly with mfauli now. Shit needs to start happening.

MFauli
Tue, 02-21-2023, 02:32 AM

---

I'm thoroughly with mfauli now. Shit needs to start happening.

I just want Thorfinn to go supersaiyan. Kill the son, kill the guards, kill everyone who's a shitty person. Then meet Torkell and go on a 3-men war against pretty King.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 02-21-2023, 02:41 AM
What I assume is going to happen is some shithead war is going to sweep through and kill most everyone and destroy the farm. And then our two main characters are going to end up fighting as part of Snake's band.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 02-22-2023, 06:49 AM
Oh shiiiit, that girl is the mistress. Surely the old woman must know this.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-06-2023, 02:08 PM

---

While I appreciate Thorfinn's character arc, "pacifist viking" seems like it would make for a really boring story going forward...

MFauli
Mon, 03-06-2023, 02:35 PM
An ENTIRE episode on a dream. Sigh. As I've been saying and as has become more clear with each episode: This season 2 should have been a movie. The pacing is terrible for a weekly anime series.

Also, Thorfinn learnt the WRONGEST lesson from this dream. Never hurt anyone again? Yeah, either he's gonna have the next trauma real soon or this anime becomes a borefest now.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-06-2023, 02:44 PM
An ENTIRE episode on a dream.I mean, it was a VERY cool dream sequence. It's just left the character in a very uninteresting place.

Like, if he was just swearing off killing, that'd be one thing. But swearing off VIOLENCE? That just doesn't seem viable for a show.

Even Vash the Stampede still fights people.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-09-2023, 02:20 AM
I don't think a movie would have done this justice. The pacing is slow because his life currently is slow. Condensing all the season's worth of things he's learning on a farm into 2 hours seems wrong. The dream itself would have taken half an hour.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 03-09-2023, 08:01 AM
Also think maybe Mfauli is overestimating this show's popularity if he thinks it warrants a movie. They don't just make movies out of whatever they want. Even if a particular chunk of a show would really work as one.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-20-2023, 02:09 PM

---

Well, it took all season, but they FINALLY introduced an actual conflict.

MFauli
Mon, 03-20-2023, 04:57 PM
So much time wasted on that awful clown, sigh. I hate characters like him, dumb but in a position of power where they can kill other, good people.

I don't understand the requisition of Ketil's farm. Ketil already pays Canute tribue. If he wants more, he could demand that without requisitioning Ketil's farm.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-20-2023, 06:14 PM
I don't understand the requisition of Ketil's farm. Ketil already pays Canute tribue. If he wants more, he could demand that without requisitioning Ketil's farm.Yeah, I don't really get it. But they've already established that Canute is a huge piece of shit that murders willing allies rather than dealing with them and then handwaves it as "necessary".

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-23-2023, 01:33 PM
So much time wasted on that awful clown, sigh. I hate characters like him, dumb but in a position of power where they can kill other, good people.

I don't understand the requisition of Ketil's farm. Ketil already pays Canute tribue. If he wants more, he could demand that without requisitioning Ketil's farm.

They're gifts, not a tax. They're given voluntarily in order to curry favour with the king. If the king doesn't give him any benefits, I'd either choose to gift more to see if it pays off, or decide to pay the bare minimum (if any at all) to avoid wrath.

If the king goes to demand more things from him (and effectively taxing him unfairly without giving him appropriate benefits) then he's placing himself at conflict with Ketil. If it's going to be conflict, he might as well take it all. He's also deliberately going after folks who can't fight back.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 03-28-2023, 11:27 PM

---

That went way cooler than I expected. I was expecting something much grimmer.

MFauli
Wed, 03-29-2023, 03:52 AM
I don't get it. So Thorgil would have let his cousin die?

DarthEnderX
Wed, 03-29-2023, 03:03 PM
I don't get it. So Thorgil would have let his cousin die?Probably? In case it wasn't obvious, dude is a hardcore warrior and lives by a warrior code.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-03-2023, 02:58 PM
The dude's also sharp as fuck and smelled the trap.

-------------------------

Episode 13

Oof, and Einar just got cockblocked hard.

MFauli
Mon, 04-03-2023, 05:15 PM
Tokage deserved to die, actually I'm annoyed the other 2 escaped death. What an utmost DUMB way to alarm the enemy and even give him the moment of surprise. Wow. They wanted to die.

Hopefully Galdar survives and frees the girl.

And pussy-Thorfinn needs to stop. I SO want him to slash some enemies, impress everyone and become their hero. Killing to defend yourself and others is not wrong, he must learn that.

The dude's also sharp as fuck and smelled the trap.

Oof, and Einar just got cockblocked hard.

Now and for the past 3 years.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-03-2023, 05:28 PM
Now and for the past 3 years.

I mean yeah.. but for the past 3 years it's "oh he owns her, he's allowed to like her. She's doing this as his property. I'll try to free her and we're good."

Now her husband rocks up, and when he opens his mouth we learn he's actually chad as fuck.

The upside for Einar is that the dude's got a bounty.

MFauli
Mon, 04-03-2023, 06:51 PM
I could see Galdar dying, though. When the episode started, I was confused like "wtf, did a time skip happen?!", because he looked like Einar with long hair. So the visual similarity might come in handy to replace the real husband ;>

MFauli
Mon, 04-10-2023, 01:28 PM
episode 14:

At this points it feels like this anime is trying to "oscar bait", lol. Not only is the pacing still snail speed, but the characters' decisions are too realistic now imo.

Yes, it's totally plausible for these characters to react they do. "This is how real people are", sure. But I must say ... this is anime. If we cannot have alternatives to ultra-realism here, then where at all?

Ofc, the situation is still on-going, so who knows what's gonna happen, but if Galdar is executed, then why spend so much time on it? I really hope something happens that avoids Galdar's execution. Actually, one possibility comes to mind: If Ketil's viking son (whatshisname) returns in time, maybe he'll grant Galdar freedom if he helps fight against the king's approaching forces. It's either that or Thorfinn doing something.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-10-2023, 06:12 PM
Your argument is that "This is too realistic, anime needs to be less realistic"?

MFauli
Mon, 04-10-2023, 06:14 PM
Your argument is that "This is too realistic, anime needs to be less realistic"?

No .........

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-10-2023, 07:04 PM
Then I don't understand your opinion about this episode.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 04-10-2023, 11:00 PM
Actually, one possibility comes to mind: If Ketil's viking son (whatshisname) returns in time, maybe he'll grant Galdar freedom if he helps fight against the king's approaching forces.I thought the same thing.
Provided he's sane enough to accept a deal.

Your argument is that "This is too realistic, anime needs to be less realistic"?If the realism isn't interesting, then...kinda?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-11-2023, 04:40 AM
I thought the same thing.
Provided he's sane enough to accept a deal.

The king's sending the elites over though. I'm assuming the elites are all Snake-level, in which case Galdar isn't going to be much use. The farm's security forces are going to be pretty screwed.

As for Galdar, well the wise thing would be to make a run for it during the conflict, but it doesn't sound like his wife wants to leave anymore.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-11-2023, 02:33 PM
As for Galdar, well the wise thing would be to make a run for it during the conflict, but it doesn't sound like his wife wants to leave anymore.Only because she thinks it'll be a safe place to raise her child. If the Canute is coming to kill everyone, that's not really the case anymore.

I wonder if her original son will be anyone important. Maybe he's the fake Thorfinn that's hanging with Leif. :p

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-11-2023, 02:52 PM
Only because she thinks it'll be a safe place to raise her child. If the Canute is coming to kill everyone, that's not really the case anymore.

The dude being a fugitive and a vastly different person to who she knew remains unchanged though. As for her son, no idea. Fake Thorfinn has the wrong hair and seems a bit too old for the role.

MFauli
Tue, 04-11-2023, 02:59 PM
Oh, you guys believe that Galdar's and Arnheid's son is still alive?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-11-2023, 03:10 PM
Oh, you guys believe that Galdar's and Arnheid's son is still alive?

I actually didn't give it much thought until DE mentioned the possibility. And now I just consider it a possibility because we didn't see him die.

The dude was a baby when he was kidnapped though, so I don't know if reuniting them is going to have any real point. He won't remember shit.

MFauli
Mon, 04-17-2023, 05:55 PM
episode 15:

Man, fuck you, Snake, you are the bad guy here. Every dead man on your side is a win.

Really hope Galdar and Arnheid can escape, but this anime hasn't exactly had lots of happy ends.

Thorfinn continues to be annoying. His reasoning is as dumb as "if you're not tolerant to the intolerant, you're intolerant yourself". Ugh. Fighting to protect is a-ok.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 04-17-2023, 09:53 PM
Goddamn vikings are so fucking stupid. Those guards deserved that.

Thorfinn continues to be annoying. His reasoning is as dumb as "if you're not tolerant to the intolerant, you're intolerant yourself". Ugh. Fighting to protect is a-ok.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-22-2023, 11:18 PM
Snake is fine, but his guards are tasteless.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-24-2023, 02:59 PM
S2E16

The hype music and cliffhanger was so tense. Can't wait till next week.

I'm glad Askeladd is still mentoring Thorfinn. That guy is still badass even when he's dead.

MFauli
Mon, 04-24-2023, 08:01 PM
DEAR GOD FUCKING FINALLY!!!11

Although I still don't quite trust the cliffhanger, pls actually continue the fight, Thorfinn >_>

See Arnheid's and the old guy's reaction was so nice, haha :D

I'm a bit confused though why Thorfinn didn't try to talk to Snake at all. Not a single word. Something like "Tell me why you fight these 2 people who love each other and only want to live together so hard" or "can't you see you'Re wrong?" or "your men died because they're bringing evil to the world". Something. Anything. Although the line I wished Thorfinn to shout the most was: "I don't want to kill you!!!1" as he struggles with his pacifist wish. Would have gotten a nice reaction out of Snake for sure ^^

Anyway, looking forward a lot to next week. Pls don't be a full-episode flashback ...

Btw. question to manga readers: Does season 2 cover the same number of manga chapters as season 1? Just wondering whether the snail pace is the anime's fault or the manga is the same.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-25-2023, 12:18 AM
Something like "Tell me why you fight these 2 people who love each other and only want to live together so hard".Uh, cause he killed 5 of his friends. Duh.

"your men died because they're bringing evil to the world".He's talking to vikings, man. These are people who think dying in battle is the greatest good one can achieve in life.

Curious where Snake is from. Is that a scimitar? Is he Middle-Eastern?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-25-2023, 02:18 AM

Reddit is suggesting that this is his sword, and that seems to fit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramerion

It'd make sense too since the Bible then would probably still be in Latin, making Snake an apt translator.

MFauli
Tue, 04-25-2023, 02:41 AM
Uh, cause he killed 5 of his friends. Duh.

He's talking to vikings, man. These are people who think dying in battle is the greatest good one can achieve in life.

Just for the record: I'm not saying Thorfinn could have convinced Snake with words. I'm just disappointed that Pacifist-Thorfinn didn't even try, no matter how futile.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-25-2023, 03:04 AM
Snake outright said he wasn't here to negotiate and was walking forwards with a sword in hand. 5 guys had already died and Thorfinn knows this guy can fight when he's serious. Judging from the anime, Snake was within striking distance soon anyway.

Timing and all that aside, what was Thorfinn supposed to say to Head of Security on a farm where 5 of them had died to a runaway slave? Thorfinn knew shit went downhill when Gadar killed more people.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-25-2023, 07:25 PM
Just for the record: I'm not saying Thorfinn could have convinced Snake with words. I'm just disappointed that Pacifist-Thorfinn didn't even try, no matter how futile.He could probably tell by sensing his "murderous intent" that it was pointless.

MFauli
Mon, 05-01-2023, 01:18 PM
episode 17 season 2:

Snail pacing x10. This was half an episode stretched to a full one :/ Emotional and all, blablah, yes. But did we really need a full episode on the death visions of a dying side character? Meh

I have to ask: Is season 2 written by a different author? Or did the author look at season 1 and say "wtf is this shit I wrote?!"

It is sooo different and, outisde of pacing, I won't call either better or worse. But how you can change writing that much is just dumb imo. Surely there are lots of people who love either season but not the other one. And we're almost done, no big happenings to be expected at this point.

I hope season 3 comes much faster, because waiting years inbetween seasons only to get something slow as this isnt satisfying.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-01-2023, 06:32 PM
Okay, Miklagard is apparently the viking name for Istanbul.

I have to ask: Is season 2 written by a different author? Or did the author look at season 1 and say "wtf is this shit I wrote?!"According to the author, the story is supposed to be very anti-war. So that 1st season almost feels like it's designed to hook people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7BH6YQeWoI

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-01-2023, 07:46 PM
Okay, Miklagard is apparently the viking name for Istanbul.

Yeah, and capital of the Eastern Roman Empire at that time.

As for pacing, I felt it was fine. Gardar's story is as important as Arnheid's.

The surprising thing to me was that during Gardar's flashback, he'd already killed someone then. Arnheid's reactions prior to this flashback had me thinking that she'd never witnessed any violence from Gardar until now. Him looking like a bit like Einar probably had something to do with it.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-01-2023, 10:24 PM
Disappointed in Snake for letting his guard down. Almost died like his men.

I figure Thorfinn will be taken prisoner, but the boss'll free him when he gets back. Since Leif saved his life and all.

MFauli
Tue, 05-02-2023, 02:50 AM
Nah, I expect Snake to force Thorfinn making some bs choice like "join me and become one of my men or else get killed". Then Thorfinn refuses. Snake will threaten to kill Arneid or his friend, and then before anything is really decided, the village is attacked by the king's forces and Thorfinn either helps fight back on his own, or he uses the commotion to escape together with his friend and maybe Arneid.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-02-2023, 02:55 AM
"join me and become one of my men or else get killed"

Thorfinn is the owner's slave. Snake doesn't get to take him - and protecting a runaway slave doesn't equate to killing 5 lives.

MFauli
Tue, 05-02-2023, 02:59 AM
Thorfinn is the owner's slave. Snake doesn't get to take him - and protecting a runaway slave doesn't equate to killing 5 lives.

wouldnt be Vinland Saga without some unfair bs decisions *shrugs*

^^

MFauli
Mon, 05-08-2023, 12:49 PM
season 2 episode 18:

Ffs, these episodes feel like time traveling: Start episode. Credits start running. Time felt: 1 minute. Actual time passed: 20 minutes :/

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-08-2023, 01:52 PM
Brutal. Utterly brutal.

None of Ketils' decisions were right, but you can see how he came to be.

The focus here was so much on Arnheid that we didn't actually get to see a Leif / Thorfinn initial reunion reaction. Not that I mind, this was more important. Props to Ketil's wife - she's just taken all of this in her stride.

Ironically Ketil is now highly unlikely to negotiate. First son is just happy to fight and second son looks like he might backstab them all at any point to save himself - and also everyone else by extension.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-08-2023, 11:06 PM
The focus here was so much on Arnheid that we didn't actually get to see a Leif / Thorfinn initial reunion reaction. Not that I mind, this was more important.I did! I minded it a LOT! No-selling that moment?! WTF!

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-15-2023, 03:53 PM
S2E19

--------------------

Ah.. the kid died, and so will Arnheid it seems.

I'm satisfied with the reveal of how Iron Fist Ketil came about. I couldn't make sense of how he could have spread that rumour without any major feats. Turns out it was someone else. It'd be cool if we met the real one, but they might be dead already.

Thorgil continues to impress. He thinks about his fights way more than he appears to. Surprise attacks are also not beneath him. What's the most impressive for me is the way that he actually tries to support and nurture his brother while really having no true expectations of him. Thorgil wants his brother to succeed, but also doesn't give a shit when he fails.

MFauli
Mon, 05-15-2023, 06:49 PM
UNfoirtunately, I think he also doesn't give a shit whether he himself succeeds or not. I cannot imagine he'll actually be able to kill Canute, which means he'll probably die. And he's probably gonna be all like "oh well, Valhalla, here I come" and not even lose his smile over dying.

Thorfinn fleeing is ... ugh.

Although I have to say: It looked like NONE of Canute's soldiers was killed in that clash, that's just ridiculous. At least some random arrows should have hit someone on their side.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-16-2023, 12:32 AM
UNfoirtunately, I think he also doesn't give a shit whether he himself succeeds or not. I cannot imagine he'll actually be able to kill Canute, which means he'll probably die. And he's probably gonna be all like "oh well, Valhalla, here I come" and not even lose his smile over dying.

That's the attitude he should have. What ever happens happens, but do what you can in the moment.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 05-16-2023, 03:53 AM
Thorfinn fleeing is ... ugh.Admittedly boring, but that IS what his character would do now.

MFauli
Mon, 05-22-2023, 12:38 PM
episode 20:

Overall episode good, but:

Either you have to present it better or have Canute die there. That was terrible. There was no logical, plausible way for Canute to survive this. But then they give him superhuman speed. Then his guard returns out of nowhere. And suddenly Thorgil no longer watches his surroundings.

Felt bad. Either present it better or let Canute die.

PS: "He's got only about 100 men with him, I should be fine"- we BERSERK now? lol

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-22-2023, 03:09 PM
Either you have to present it better or have Canute die there. That was terrible. There was no logical, plausible way for Canute to survive this. But then they give him superhuman speed. Then his guard returns out of nowhere. And suddenly Thorgil no longer watches his surroundings.

Felt bad. Either present it better or let Canute die.Coulda at least wounded him. Have his overconfidence cost him a hand or an eye or something.

PS: "He's got only about 100 men with him, I should be fine"What's Mr. Pacifist planning to do? Bleed on 'em to death?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-22-2023, 03:13 PM
"It's only got 100. I've got this"

That flex xD.

That said, from what I've seen so far I'd say Snake/Thorfinn can beat most of the general Jomsviking. You'd need to bring out a named character to be comparable with them. Thorfinn was already a match for Thorkell back in the day.

While I do think that Canute drawing his sword was a good "growth moment" and shows that Thorgill didn't account for Canute's improvement, the fastest thing to do would have been to drop to the ground to avoid the blow. I'm not sure that that would have saved Canute in the long run though, since Thorgill would probably have been able to follow up on it anyway.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-22-2023, 03:48 PM
the fastest thing to do would have been to drop to the ground to avoid the blow.Completely disagree. A skilled swordsman can raise their sword faster than gravity can pull their whole body to the ground.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-22-2023, 04:14 PM
Completely disagree. A skilled swordsman can raise their sword faster than gravity can pull their whole body to the ground.

Assuming you had your hand on the hilt.

To block you have to recognise a threat, register the trajectory of the attack (left vs right), grab your sword, draw and block. It requires lots of visual feedback and steps. I'm not sure Canute is ready for the title of skilled swordsman yet either. Maybe he is.

To drop, you just need to recognise the treat and lose your legs without actually thinking about the attack itself. You also don't need to drop to the ground completely to avoid it. The enemies arms are attached to their shoulders and has maximum range at shoulder height. The issue with dropping isn't the speed, but that it limits your next action and leaves you rather vulnerable.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 05-23-2023, 01:38 AM
You also don't need to drop to the ground completely to avoid it.Sure, but we call that ducking. :p

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-29-2023, 12:36 PM
S2E21

-------------

Oh fuck off. No way that ep was 25mins long.

MFauli
Mon, 05-29-2023, 05:53 PM
So short, indeed :/

Also, receiving 100 punches is bs. Wonder if he has an actual trick up his sleeve. Canute is a bitch, though.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-29-2023, 11:17 PM
So short, indeed :/

Also, receiving 100 punches is bs. Wonder if he has an actual trick up his sleeve. Canute is a bitch, though.

It's going to be just rolling with the punch instead of standing still like a tree.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 05-30-2023, 01:16 PM
Canute is a bitch, though.Canute: "Oh fuck! Thorfinn is here? That guy's a psycho! I gotta get outta here!"

MFauli
Tue, 05-30-2023, 08:34 PM
Canute: "Oh fuck! Thorfinn is here? That guy's a psycho! I gotta get outta here!"

Yeah, he just knew Thorfinn is someone who's got both the arguments AND the power to back them up, lol. Cannot risk being confronted by him. Although I assume that's gonna be the season finale or so.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-31-2023, 01:21 AM
I see you don't watch the previews.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 05-31-2023, 02:30 AM
I see you don't watch the previews.I do not watch the huge spoilers for the next episode. No.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 06-06-2023, 07:34 AM

---

Well, they FINALLY explained how he ended up a slave.

MFauli
Tue, 06-06-2023, 08:41 AM
There's so much time inbetween, that moment fell flat on my. I just thought "ah, guess I missed/forgot that scene".

Otherwise, I had hoped Thorfinn would make a better argument. Well, maybe something happens next week.

Or Thorgill decapitates Canute, now that all the attention is on Thorfinn, and all hell breaks loose, lol.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 06-12-2023, 10:18 PM

---

That climax was a nothingburger. And yet...a tasty nothingburger.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-13-2023, 12:13 PM
I was happy with this, and if no episodes followed I would have still been okay. But now we get to see Thorfinn go home.

MFauli
Tue, 06-13-2023, 12:36 PM
will there be a 3rd season or is this the end of the manga, too?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-13-2023, 02:15 PM
will there be a 3rd season or is this the end of the manga, too?

There's way more manga to go through.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 06-13-2023, 02:17 PM
will there be a 3rd season or is this the end of the manga, too?We're on, like, volume 14 of 26.

MFauli
Mon, 06-19-2023, 07:41 PM
Season 2 - Final episode:

OMG, that no beard-glow up!!1 :D Now he looks like a true rival to Canute, with the same scar, and about to become king of Vinland :D

The welcome wasn't as emotional as I would have liked it to be, but it made sense that nobody knows who that grown asss man is, considering Thorfinn went missing at age 6.

Now the wait for season 3 begins. I hope the pacing gets better and tells more story, but I also definitely want to see how they build the first time in Vinland :D

Buffalobiian
Mon, 06-19-2023, 10:36 PM
It was a good wind-down episode. I didn't care much for the sister. His mother recognising him from "fake Thorfinn" played out similarly to what I had expected in my head (I thought they'd plan the gag first instead of it being spontaneous).

I wonder if the only reason that Thors himself didn't go to Vinland was because he was travelling with a baby already.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 06-20-2023, 03:28 AM
I also definitely want to see how they build the first time in Vinland :DThat's probably a long ways off. It sounds like the next arc is "raising money". Then there's got to be a whole boat arc. And that's assuming nobody actually tries to get in their way.

I wonder if the only reason that Thors himself didn't go to Vinland was because he was travelling with a baby already.Isn't Leif, like, the only person that's been to Vinland and back?

MFauli
Tue, 06-20-2023, 03:56 AM
To me it sounded like Leif has the money already?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 06-20-2023, 04:00 AM
Isn't Leif, like, the only person that's been to Vinland and back?

Maybe? Wouldn't have stopped Thors going if he wanted to avoid people, but I guess he's also counting on everyone thinking he's dead.