PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Stone

Pages : [1] 2

MFauli
Sat, 07-06-2019, 04:10 AM
One fateful day, all of humanity was petrified by a blinding flash of light. After several millennia, high schooler Taiju awakens and finds himself lost in a world of statues. However, he’s not alone! His science-loving friend Senku’s been up and running for a few months and he's got a grand plan in mind—to kickstart civilization with the power of science!

------

Episode 1
-----

I thought this would be one of the more popular anime this season. Don't want to hog all these threads, so guys, go create some! ;o

I'v read 30 chapters or so of the manga, so I'll keep quiet for now. First episode was entertaining. The hero is just as ridiculous as I remember, lol.

One thing that bothers me again: They fucking were conscious for all of the 3700 years?! Any mind would go crazy! Oh well.

David75
Sat, 07-06-2019, 06:56 AM
It's damn clear that being stuck 3700 years without any stimulation would make anyone crazy.
At first I thought only humans suffered the Stone effect, because of the dog scene. Then there's the swallow scenes. It matters because the idiot catches a boar at some point, they need food after all and even if plants were not peteified, we humans need flesh.
Feels a bit gay too with the adam/eve scene being embarrassing :rolleyes:
Main girl feels a bit strange/ugly.

It seems that light passed through walls or the likes. I wonder if it worked deep underground, it might be it was there for a long time. Just saying, it might be some humans were not affected for many reasons.

Last but not least, 3700 years would level 99% or more buildings of the last 200 years I think. It feels like most buildings were in too good of a shape.

Munsu
Sat, 07-06-2019, 10:28 AM
It would be one of the more popular series, but the first episode was boring, so didn't care for it for now. Will have to wait for more episodes to come out to see what the hype is all about.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 07-06-2019, 11:08 AM
The premise is very interesting, but yeah, I also have a huge problem with them being conscious during their petrification. There's no real reason to have done that either. It just make it stupider.

Was also weird how the episode makes it seem like the tough guy is the main character, but the OP makes it clear that the science guy who seems like he might become an insane villain is the main character.

MFauli
Sat, 07-06-2019, 12:47 PM
The premise is very interesting, but yeah, I also have a huge problem with them being conscious during their petrification. There's no real reason to have done that either. It just make it stupider.

But then how can you show how badass he is because of counting all those years!!1

David75
Sat, 07-06-2019, 02:19 PM
As a genius scientist, he probably could remember some astronomical ways to get current date...

MFauli
Sat, 07-06-2019, 02:37 PM
As a genius scientist, he probably could remember some astronomical ways to get current date...

Thate what I expected, yes. We didn't need the exact date, so if he just said 'these stars are slightly different, about 3500-4000 years have passed. Let's say 3700."

neflight86
Sun, 07-07-2019, 08:58 AM
Pure edutainment shounen. I'll vouch for it though as a manga prophet. The story is more interesting than just info dumps and they incorporate 'science' well into what they are trying to accomplish.

Ryllharu
Mon, 07-08-2019, 07:53 PM
There are actually a lot of edutainment series this season.

This (primitive technology), the girls stranded on an island "Sounan desu ka" (more survival skills), and "Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru" (proper exercise techniques).

All of them are well cast, entertaining, and funny.

Personally, I found the "stuck conscious for 3700 years" thing quite endearing. Taiju's love is all consuming, and Senkuu's faith in him was not misplaced. Right before the petrification, he bet the others that Taiju would confess, and he did, even after 3700 years of thinking of nothing else. So Senkuu left him a note right where he was sure that Taiju would find it.

That's friendship and trust right there.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 07-09-2019, 01:56 AM
Even though he could have left the note in the cave he obviously put him in.

Ryllharu
Tue, 07-09-2019, 03:09 AM
Taiju wasn't going to hang around in the cave. He was going right for the camphor tree.

He was also clearly moved. He didn't wash up perfectly centered in the cave, being dripped on by the magical mixture...AND gently put down on a bed of hay to keep him from being damaged.

David75
Tue, 07-09-2019, 08:18 AM
Regarding NanKilo, just be careful with some explanations. For example squats and knee position, I think I read some research with different views...
Back to stone:
Surprise Dr Stone would place the idiot under that dripping liquid since he discovered the effects long after that.
Is it possible someone else did place him there ? And that someone knew about that liquid properties, maybe by realising they were the first to get out thanks to it ? And they may have done the same with Dr Stone at the begining of spring ?

DarthEnderX
Tue, 07-09-2019, 10:27 AM
Taiju wasn't going to hang around in the cave. He was going right for the camphor tree.

He was also clearly moved. He didn't wash up perfectly centered in the cave, being dripped on by the magical mixture...AND gently put down on a bed of hay to keep him from being damaged.That's what I'm saying. Senkuu woke up first, found Taiju, and set him up in the cave.

Since he knew Taiju would wake up there, he could have just left the message there. And I mean, like, a big, obvious message that he wouldn't miss.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 07-13-2019, 12:21 PM

---

Well, this guy's certainly gonna be a problem.

MFauli
Sat, 07-13-2019, 12:27 PM
That guy is the reason why I can't enjoy this story as much as I would be able ti without him.

Forget about them being middle schoolers: NO human being could fight and win against a lion barefisted. Let alone against an entire pack.

For a story that puts so much emphasis on science, I don't get why the mangaka thought this would be a good idea

DarthEnderX
Sun, 07-14-2019, 01:27 AM
He could have at least, like, kept some of the stone on his body to fight with. Could have protected him from a few hits, and stone covered fits could have more believably killed a lion.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-14-2019, 04:03 AM
Right, because a TV celebrity "strongest primate" high schooler beating a lion is the immersion breaking part of a series where people and birds worldwide are turned to solid stone which transforms instantly into a thin shell they can be broken free of when a small quantity of bat urine and alcohol is dribbled on them.

MFauli
Sun, 07-14-2019, 06:05 AM
Right, because a TV celebrity "strongest primate" high schooler beating a lion is the immersion breaking part of a series where people and birds worldwide are turned to solid stone which transforms instantly into a thin shell they can be broken free of when a small quantity of bat urine and alcohol is dribbled on them.

One is the premise of the show, the other is a random decision.

Generally, eff off with the 'one element is fantasy? Then EVERYTHING can be fantasy!!1' argument.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-14-2019, 08:13 AM
He was already introduced in the first episode as someone super strong. They BOTH had their reservations about reviving him. The immediate situation forced their hand. He is blatantly set up as the antagonist. Using a lion shows that neither of the other two protagonists will ever be able to defeat him head on, even with their better endurance or superior intellect or technological advances. They're allied only out of necessity.

It's why Senku is building a crossbow.

Yeah...very random decision.

MFauli
Sun, 07-14-2019, 08:20 AM
A guy killed a lion barefisted and intimidated the other lions to the point they ran off.

Yes, it's fucking random as random could ever be. I enjoy the story, hence having read 30 chapters of the manga, but this guy is one of the low points of this series. :/

DarthEnderX
Sat, 07-27-2019, 12:14 AM

---

Short series!

David75
Sat, 07-27-2019, 06:36 AM
-—-—-—-—-—–—-—-—-—-—-—–—-—-—-—-—-—–—-—-—-—-—-—–—-—-—-—-—-—–—

Dr Stone... so he probably figured a way to stonify parts of his body, so he did his neck and the blade angle was exactly so it bounced instead of sending deadly waves through the skull...

That or just a what if scene and we get the real one later. For some reason I think the blonde girl is the one saving his ass, either actively or just by being there and distracting Tsukasa.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-31-2019, 08:09 AM
I guess this anime just takes liberty with the animation regarding the petrification process.

The broken statues clearly just look like rock all the way through.
People breaking out seem like they're encased in a thin layer of rock.

If both are taken to be true, then the specimen must become rock thoroughly, only to be reversed upon application of the acid mix. In that case, it'd be strange for the transformation to take place from the inside out.

David75
Fri, 08-02-2019, 10:27 AM
New ep out

-—--—--—--—--—--—--—--—--—--—--—--—--—--—--—-

For some reason I was not far off.
I think he never got rid of the stone up his neck when he finalized the magic water because he already had contact with Tsukasa and thought that could be useful.
Also I forgot the repair process.
All in all, every bit was there including him cracking his neck.

As for depth of stonification, I guess people on the verge of getting out of it only have a thin layer remaining. Others are probably to wait a lot more... Or maybe a fully stonified body is proof that person is already dead, which would take into account the ability to count each second for 3700 years :D or introduce an even less scientific concept: soul.

Oh by the way, the escape and all was way too long. Even repairing the damaged vertebrae would not compensate for a brain deprived of oxygen and nutrients for that long.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-02-2019, 01:56 PM
Episode 05

------------------------

Well done David.

The whole petrified thing has its own issues.

For example, did Senku have petrified skin on his neck, or was his neck petrified at that spot all the way down to this spinal cord? Are they implying that mending the skin above the spinal cord fixes that as well, or was it only fixed because the entire structure was stone and thus now repaired?

If the latter, then that would imply that Senku's spinal cord was still functional despite being petrified.

("Cervical nerve" doesn't make much sense in English. I'm going to guess they meant the cervical portion of his spinal canal. Technically with a severed cervical spinal cord you can still live since your vertebral and carotid arteries are intact - but if he was hit with such force then the vertebral arteries being intact would also be somewhat unlikely.

The heart can still beat, but without C3-5 your diaphragm would likely stop contracting - and they hit him quite high up at the base of the foramen magnum there).

MFauli
Fri, 08-02-2019, 06:53 PM
See, that's why killing a lion with bare hands was good - I can accept this bs without being upset 🙈

Tbh I didn't understand it in the manga and I don't here. Hopefully next episode goes into full detail about Senku's survival.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-03-2019, 01:48 PM
From a science point of view, the other thing that I found amusing was that Senku was revived with acid under a downpour when earlier he explained how accurate that concoction's concentration had to be to have any effect at all.

neflight86
Sat, 08-03-2019, 05:18 PM
From a science point of view, the other thing that I found amusing was that Senku was revived with acid under a downpour when earlier he explained how accurate that concoction's concentration had to be to have any effect at all.

I presumed that was the perfected mixture they had in a bottle. It had been a few days since they separated from Tsukasa, after all.

Kind of funny that Senku's revival flashback just showed us actually exactly what we already figured happened from the first time we saw him in the stone world... but it wasn't boring, so I don't mind spending half an episode on it...

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-04-2019, 11:58 AM
I presumed that was the perfected mixture they had in a bottle. It had been a few days since they separated from Tsukasa, after all.

By downpour, I meant that they used the mixture while it was raining.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-04-2019, 12:29 PM
My main disappointment is that since they ran off, Tsukasa is the only one that's still going to be there when the blond girl shows up, which means she's probably going to end up on the villain team.

David75
Sun, 08-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Feels like Tsukasa isn't too sociable...
But if finding a valuable partner would help him against the trio and maybe have a better story in the end.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-04-2019, 05:25 PM
Feels like Tsukasa isn't too sociable...
But if finding a valuable partner would help him against the trio and maybe have a better story in the end.I mean, he wouldn't have needed the formula from Senku if he wasn't planning to gather more people.

You know, just a whole tribe of kids that want to murder billions because some drunk guy yelled at them once.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-10-2019, 06:13 AM
Episode 06

-------------------

I see they had the whole stone petrifying thing all figured out. They addressed pretty much all my concerns and "plot holes".

And the new girl. She's cute. Good times ahead Senku.

David75
Sat, 08-10-2019, 08:14 AM
Kohaku basically said: " I want your genes for my future babies" :cool:

David75
Mon, 08-19-2019, 01:25 PM
I'm lagging quite a bit waiting for x265 encodes... but seems no one has bumped that thread up yet.

-–—•—–--–—•—–--–—•—–--–—•—–--–—•—–--–—•—–--–—•—–--–—•—–--–—•—–-

Once you understand that show isn't purely about science, but more a nice way to talk about science, it's easier to watch.
I enjoyed that ep quite a bit. Had laughs even.
Too bad the op spoils so much.

So I guess Senku wants to grow and extract some penicilium next ep. Fairly easy if you don't mistake other molds, some of them being dangerous.
Also, I don't like the fact he thinks of a cure before examining the patient. Sure Chrome/(Soma's grand'grand'grand......'child ?) might have described symptoms that feel like. Penicilin works against lots of common bacteria a primitive group will face, even more so if said group doesn't know soap or something similar. So why not start there.

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-19-2019, 05:28 PM
Because penicillin is HUGE? It's like the cornerstone to our current state of civilization.

And there's also been 3,700 years for whatever bacteria there might be causing it to lose any resistance to the stuff.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-20-2019, 07:55 AM
I had something to say when he mentioned "antibiotic" like it was just one thing (no doubt it'd be penicillin without examining the patient indeed), but then...

... fuck it. Bring on the penicillin. It's probably the only thing he can make anyway so why the hell not. Most people who've read a bit about penicillin know it comes from a mould, but no one has a clue about how cephalexin, vancomycin, ciprofloxacin or meropenum are made (including myself).

So for story's sake.. yeah, let's just keep it to penicillin. The bigger issue is going to be dosing.

MFauli
Tue, 08-20-2019, 09:07 AM
So what do you do with the mould then? Eat it? And only a specific kind of mold?

Asking for when I have to survive by myself

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-20-2019, 09:21 AM
No idea. I print scripts and say "Take that to pharmacy".

MFauli
Tue, 08-20-2019, 10:44 AM
Youre such a tease ;o

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-20-2019, 10:49 AM
I realized just now that Dr. Stone sounds like a drug dealer's alias...

David75
Wed, 08-21-2019, 02:11 AM
Indeed, a drug dealer. He already has booze by the way :cool:
From what I read/know, without a microscope, it's difficult to distinguish Penicilium from another more dangerous mold. Colors are a little different, and there are some diffferences in aspect and/or a white ring.
So unless there's a sure way to grow the right mold* and/or checking you have the right one, it's quite risky.
When you are sure you have penicilium, you can ingest it as is. Strong taste, but not dangerous.
How do I know ? Tested it myself several time from chilhood, probably when I was a baby even...
It is in relation with the '*', making bluecheese is a way to get penicilium. I eat some quite often and it's a custom to give some to young babies to help them digest milk... Bluecheese is a way, though I do not know wether bluecheese has to be tested against lethal toxins if you mess the process.
Since it's been made for a long time before science knew about bacteria, I guess people had ways to check by controlling temperature/light/humidity/smell during the whole process.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 08-21-2019, 11:11 AM
I always just remember the moldy pizza joke from the TMNT movie.

"Do you like...penicillin on your pizza?"

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-23-2019, 01:07 PM
Episode 08

-------------------

Ooooh, they're going with sulfamethoxazole drugs instead. Interesting move, that was unexpected.

Senku makes a good point - a world without good food is pretty shitty.

Ryllharu
Fri, 08-23-2019, 03:21 PM
I thought they were going to go with Senku tearing up a little bit from the nostalgic taste. Was pleasantly surprised he found it gross and unsatisfying.

Rice is probably a lost cause for now, due to its very specific growing needs, and the domestic version being traced to a single event, but Wheat should still be around. Same with Corn.

David75
Fri, 08-23-2019, 03:40 PM
I understand why the long route : even more processes to use/master and above all everyone in the village will be put to good use eventually. Two birds with one stone.
Silly show, but fun :D

DarthEnderX
Fri, 08-23-2019, 09:35 PM
Really fun episode.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-23-2019, 11:34 PM
To make up for the complete lack of manpower I expected Senku to use a waterwheel of some description, but this builds rapport with the village so fine.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 08-24-2019, 10:59 AM
Real talk for a second...

Do the women in this show look really weird to anyone else?

It's like they have the Big Eyes Small Mouth button cranked up to eleven.

David75
Sat, 08-24-2019, 11:13 AM
Art is weird yes. Changes quite a bit depending on scene and theatrical effect.
Even Yuzuhira felt strange from ep 1. I feel like the artist prefers bromances...

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-24-2019, 11:54 AM

A little (the distances between their eyes are a little wide), but they're hot so it's all cool.

MFauli
Sat, 08-24-2019, 05:35 PM

One Piece exists, so Im used to exaggerated women in anime.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-24-2019, 09:14 PM
Anime faces are so unrealistic.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-30-2019, 09:30 PM
Episode 09

--------------------------

So under the brilliance of Senku sensei they not only made a lightbulb, but made it bright and tall enough to be a lighthouse. This was a thoroughly enjoyable episode as always. I actually thought Senku was going to impress liar dude with antibiotics (after all, who wants to die from a urinary tract infection), but electricity in general also works.

It's also much readily obtainable according to his roadmap. I didn't realise how long this was actually going to take episode-wise.

MFauli
Sat, 08-31-2019, 05:49 AM
And now Tsukasa sees the bright light and comed kill him 🤔

DarthEnderX
Sat, 08-31-2019, 02:36 PM
Have I mentioned yet that I don't see the logic of having his friends spy on Tsukasa?

MFauli
Sat, 08-31-2019, 04:33 PM
Have I mentioned yet that I don't see the logic of having his friends spy on Tsukasa?

Also, with how super human Tsukasa has been portrayed as, I doubt that new magician guy could convincingly lie about Senku's situation.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-31-2019, 09:22 PM
I dunno. Magician dude has been very obviously shallow, but if he's as good as he's supposed to be then he might actually be able to play psychological warfare decently. There isn't really much to lie about re: "I didn't find any evidence of Senku being alive".

It's not like Tsukasa had definite proof to begin with.

Assuming Tsukasa stayed at the original batcave, he should be days travel away and shouldn't be in visual range.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 09-06-2019, 01:15 PM

---

I feel like telling him Senku is definitely dead is way more suspicious than saying he just found nothing. Like, what's his evidence?

Also, where are Senku's friends? Weren't they supposed to be with Tsukasa?

MFauli
Fri, 09-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Yeah, that was dumb. Is he gonna claim 'i searched the whole world and no trace of him'? :/

Also i feel being able to create blood bags is far too advanced for that guy to pull of.

Ryllharu
Sat, 09-07-2019, 05:17 AM
Tsukasa must kill several of animals a day to feed his growing army, and even if Gen was bad at handicrafts (and as a magician he is probably skilled at making his own prop stuff anyway), there's a master of crafts around. She doesn't care what he wants non-leaking bags for...

neflight86
Sat, 09-07-2019, 12:10 PM
Tsukasa already believes Senku is dead and buried. To not find him above ground is to re-assure he is dead; Gen knows this and the reason for the assignment. It makes sense to me to pair those phrases "I didn't find him. He's definitely dead (like we believed)."

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-07-2019, 12:19 PM
Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. The only one with that level of confirmation would be Tsukasa as he's the one who felt the blow to Senku's neck. Gen himself shouldn't really display any level of certainty about Senku's death.

Ryllharu
Sat, 09-07-2019, 03:23 PM
It's a stone age world, with wild animals all over the place. If the other two returned to Tsukasa's nation, and Gen doesn't find Senku alive anywhere, his body was carried off and eaten. The end.

It might have been better if Senku tore off a chunk of his coat with an animal skull, dirtied it up, and handed it over. But that isn't the deal Senku made with Gen. Any kind of trickery is more likely to make Tsukasa suspicious.

David75
Sun, 09-08-2019, 09:02 AM
Weak episode.
Antibiotics will probably take all remaining episodes to be done.
Tsukasa's kingdom had some Hokuto no Ken vibes mixed with HxH.

All in all not much to write about that ep, maybe focusing too much on Gen is a bit irritating to me.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-08-2019, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I guess they could just be ugly, but a lot of the dudes in Tsukasa's "no adults" kingdom look like some adult-ass adults.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-08-2019, 06:41 PM
It's a stone age world, with wild animals all over the place. If the other two returned to Tsukasa's nation, and Gen doesn't find Senku alive anywhere, his body was carried off and eaten. The end.

It might have been better if Senku tore off a chunk of his coat with an animal skull, dirtied it up, and handed it over. But that isn't the deal Senku made with Gen. Any kind of trickery is more likely to make Tsukasa suspicious.

It's more about saying "I don't see evidence of Senku being alive" as opposed to "Senku is dead". Unless you see a body (and you'd expect Taiju to have buried him since he's a bro), you can't really prove the latter.

Don't forget that Senku survived in this Stone Age World by himself for the first year or something.

Ryllharu
Mon, 09-09-2019, 04:02 PM
I'm not.

Taiju and Yuzuriha aren't trustworthy. That's the whole point of sending Gen out to see if those two were lying about Senku's death.

Seriously, what is so difficult for you to grasp here?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Seriously, what is so difficult for you to grasp here?

No.

If you send me out to see if some dude is alive and I couldn't certify him, I come back and tell you "I've found no trace of him[1]", not "He's dead", let alone "He's dead, without a doubt." That's why Sunrisen from the dead is a thing.

[1] He did in fact say "Senku-chan was gone without a trace", he just didn't leave it at that.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 09-13-2019, 04:19 PM

---

Man, I am just enjoying the hell out of this series.

That whole Mecha Senku segment just felt like "Let me show you my Warcraft build tree."

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-13-2019, 09:45 PM
It was a little weird seeing Chrome shocked by thingo's muscles. You know, having personally tied him up and everything.

The food stall is so important as far as hiring labour goes xD

neflight86
Wed, 09-18-2019, 06:37 AM
It always tickled me that Kaseki's motivator is "I can't stand to watch you do this so bad! Gimme that!"

DarthEnderX
Wed, 09-18-2019, 03:52 PM
It also helps that he really is an artist and the idea of working in a new fascinating medium is genuinely appealing to him.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-27-2019, 11:08 AM
Ep 13

------------------------------------------

Alright, Kamen Spear: Kinro was pretty cool.
After all this, I wonder if Kinro will even lose on purpose so Chrome can marry her.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 09-28-2019, 12:39 PM
After all this, I wonder if Kinro will even lose on purpose so Chrome can marry her.Kinro isn't going to beat Magma...thats why the episode ended before the match was called. There's going to be a turn.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-30-2019, 08:07 PM
Is this worth watching? What genre does this exactly fall into?

DarthEnderX
Tue, 10-01-2019, 01:54 AM
Is this worth watching? What genre does this exactly fall into?
It's a shounen series, but it's equivalent to battles is very atypical.

It's been very fun so far.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-04-2019, 10:12 PM
The premises of this show are all utterly absurd. Outside of the really obvious ones, did Tsukasa not realize that even if they did revive a bunch of geezers, they wouldn't have any actual power? Oligarchic power existed because of long-time built social structures. If you restart society, old people are just that... old people, who are more likely to die because they are old.

I'm only watching because of Kohaku waki.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-05-2019, 04:11 AM

---

New intro! I see katanas!

MFauli
Sat, 10-05-2019, 07:09 AM
When your opponent is frozen for 1 minute ... why not beat him up instead of trying to make him burn 🤦*♀️

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-05-2019, 07:24 AM
There's no guarantee that he'll stand still for 1 minute if his alternative is a loss while being beaten with a stick. Right now Magma is interpreting this as a free rest with no risk which makes him compliant with the bluff.

Personally my issue is that one doesn't stand still while their clothing gradually heats up to 300c.

David75
Sat, 10-05-2019, 07:53 AM
Per Jesper ruling, one could argue Suika's helmet isn't a piece of clothing anymore, but another weapon when used as Chrome did.
True thzt Magma's tigh should have had a reflex when exposed to that hot spot.
I also wonder about his clothes being that dry when he wore them for consecutive matches. Do not underestimate sweat quantity/mass.
Just try running with absorbing clothes under an water/vopor tight jacket. I did, and the damn clothes weigh a lot after a 1 hour run :cool:
They are also far from dry.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-05-2019, 09:23 AM
Because ScIeNcE!

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-05-2019, 12:19 PM
Chrome used the helmet as a weapon, I agree. However I don't think it's against the rules since it was there since the beginning of the round and both parties had equal opportunities to access it. It's as if it was a spear left over from the previous fight.

neflight86
Sat, 10-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Also, I don't expect the stone age referee to understand that the helmet (lens) actually caused the fire.

The heat was only focused on a tiny point on the surface of the material; he wouldn't have necessarily felt it beforehand, like how a pot holder insulates the feeling of heat.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-05-2019, 03:05 PM
So what do you guys think, does Senku just forfeit from here on out? Or does he play it to the end for some reason?

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-16-2019, 05:15 PM
I'm only watching because of Kohaku waki.

One thing I've finally realised from Kohaku Dr Stone is that I'm a leg man.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-18-2019, 12:41 PM
Episode 16

------------------------

What I didn't like about this was that Senku was already aware of a "global petrification phenomenon" prior to all this. He should have at least told his buddy about this after they both broke free, even if it wasn't immediately useful.

We should also send at least one hot person in space at any one time. This anime shows why.

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-18-2019, 08:17 PM
Legs are just an extension of the glorious hips.

Senku did tell him about the swallows, what he had found, and that he had noticed it before the big event. That was during the episode where they were both making the batch of the serum.

What was he supposed to do about it before any of this?

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-18-2019, 08:41 PM
Well ain't that a bitch.

Of course this means that Senku village must be pretty inbred.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Legs are just an extension of the glorious hips.

Senku did tell him about the swallows, what he had found, and that he had noticed it before the big event. That was during the episode where they were both making the batch of the serum.

What was he supposed to do about it before any of this?

I forgot that he mentioned discovering swallows prior to the event, or that he was researching it prior.

I just remembered him dripping acid onto birds post freezing.

David75
Sat, 10-19-2019, 02:52 AM
Well ain't that a bitch.

And that everyone in the village is a n^th generation nephew or sharing genes, Senku being that n^th gen uncle. Talk about ancestor seniority here :cool:

MFauli
Mon, 10-21-2019, 12:48 AM
Well ain't that a bitch.

So like half of the USA then 💁🐧

DarthEnderX
Mon, 10-21-2019, 09:25 AM
I don't know what those emojis mean...

Wait...have I asked this before? I feel like I've asked about the penguin emoji before...

MFauli
Tue, 10-22-2019, 12:40 AM
Penguin = awkward/weird/lol

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-25-2019, 12:24 PM

---

Feels.

Anyway, looks like Tsukasa wasn't fooled at all. Either that of he just wants to conquer the village just because.

Either way, its katana time!

MFauli
Fri, 10-25-2019, 01:20 PM
Man, I really didn't care about these 2 flashback episodes.

Ofc Senku will find a way, but really, what'd he do right now? Tsukasa coukd be at the village in day. Senku doesn't have any weapon ready yet.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Well obviously he's not going to GET there until Senku has made the stuff he needs(ot, more likely, he'll get there just as Senku is about to finish his final weapon, and the other character will have to hold off the army so that he can finish right in the nick of time).

That said, we've also been given our larger series goal now. Senku is going to have to make it to South America at some point.

MFauli
Fri, 10-25-2019, 03:28 PM
That larger goal is kinda obvious, too, isn't it? He'll send out a reverse-petrification beam and everyone suddenly unfreezes. Wonder if the series can manage to insert some meaningful unpredictability at this point.

Ryllharu
Fri, 10-25-2019, 06:26 PM
1) How the hell do you get some of the resources Senku is going to need?
2) The village is guarded, specifically from outsiders. 3500 years and there's only ONE village of about 50 people? I don't buy it. There are other people out there.

David75
Sat, 10-26-2019, 12:13 AM
3700 years is enough to build a large population.
Also, they had the knowledge technology/science exists. So it's a bit hard to swallow they didn't start to rebuild some of that from the very start. The ones coming back to earth are astronauts for God sake. They are among the better minds, super trained, able to perform many tasks to completion. They have two docs, a former teacher and scientists and they are not able to build/start something the first 10/20 years ? Not even able to pass that knowledge to the first children ?

As for the beam: good luck managing several billion people waking up naked in the middle of nowhere, when over 50% of them are city animals and do not know the first thing about survival.
You really need to do it at a manageable pace, by building everything you need slowly. Bonus: stone people can wait a very long time if they are not broken, so you have time to bring them back.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-26-2019, 12:37 AM
2) The village is guarded, specifically from outsiders. 3500 years and there's only ONE village of about 50 people? I don't buy it. There are other people out there.They made a point to have the Russian couple leave the island first, and never return. So they COULD have had more kids elsewhere. Though that community would just be even MORE inbred...

You really need to do it at a manageable pace, by building everything you need slowly. Bonus: stone people can wait a very long time if they are not broken, so you have time to bring them back.Not to mention, bringing back civilization all at once with a reverse beam kind undermines the entire theme of having to rebuild civilization from scratch.

MFauli
Sat, 10-26-2019, 12:54 AM
1) How the hell do you get some of the resources Senku is going to need?
2) The village is guarded, specifically from outsiders. 3500 years and there's only ONE village of about 50 people? I don't buy it. There are other people out there.

Was the death of those 2 who went with a boat hard-confirmed or did they just assume they're dead because they never returned? If so, there's your source for another village - a more incest-y village ;i

Edit: oh, there was a new page 🙈

Btw just realistically speaking, don't you need like 28 people minimum to have a sustainable/growing population? I think I've heard that somewhere.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-26-2019, 01:44 AM
Btw just realistically speaking, don't you need like 28 people minimum to have a sustainable/growing population? I think I've heard that somewhere.I've heard like 4000 if you want to avoid the effects of inbreeding.

David75
Sat, 10-26-2019, 10:29 AM
Back to our astronauts:
-Why the hell would you send your only two docs on a quest for medication ? Send one of them with someone else more suited with nav or other strenghts.
-stonification stopped Humanity, but technology is still there everywhere ! Ok, a large portion of it is quickly disabled because of high maintenance needs. But you have thousands of motor tools/cars with full tanks of gasoline that will start in less than a minute even 2 or 4 years after stonification. Many cars are fairly easy to open and start even without keys.
Ok they are on an island with no tech, tough luck. But you have months/years to find ways to go to a better area.
Then you can use everything that's available and you do not start with zero tech/knowledge and endup miserable like Ishigami Village.
They had at least 10 to 20 years with astronauts: people trained to face challenges, find solutions, use technology, manage goals to completion.
In that time frame they had a giganormous source of tech and resources to use and teach their children how to use them and keep knowledge and even improve it. Then 3700 years to arrive to Senku getting out of his stonification.

I understand that Senku needs to start from stoneage to make a better story. But that backstory is flawed.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 10-26-2019, 11:42 AM
I understand that Senku needs to start from stoneage to make a better story. But that backstory is flawed.Agreed. They should have just been descended from other people that were freed the same way as Senku, too long after all signs of civilization decayed, and without Senku's knowledge of how to rebuild it from scratch.

Not to mention the ridiculous coincidence of the only survivors including his dad, and him just happening upon his dad's descendants.

MFauli
Sat, 10-26-2019, 01:16 PM
I'm glad i stopped caring about logic ever since Tsukasa killed a lion with bare hans ;o

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-27-2019, 01:31 AM
It's kind of weird that the Priestess is forced to keep the origin story largely to themselves. So Daddy's gift is the story that they survived, noticed the beam came from South America, and they fucked hard to give him some much needed manpower.

Funnily enough, they lost a lot of skill by the time it came to building Daddy Senku's tomestone...

Most importantly, Senku isn't blood related to any of them so every girl is fair game.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 10-27-2019, 03:48 AM
Most importantly, Senku isn't blood related to any of them so every girl is fair game.Kohaku definitely seemed worried for a minute when she thought they might be related.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-27-2019, 06:31 AM
-Why the hell would you send your only two docs on a quest for medication ? Send one of them with someone else more suited with nav or other strenghts.

As a modern doctor, I can say that being in the wilderness without modern pathology labs, imaging equipment, medications or operating theatres makes a doctor pretty worthless. I can tell you that you probably have a particular illness based on physical history and examination, but any treatment aside from stabilisation of a fracture or "Keep patient warm, rehydrated and comfortable" would be fairly impossible. We don't know how to make drugs from plants and operating is near suicide.

David75
Sun, 10-27-2019, 07:09 AM
In the context of what I wrote, I was thinking on a broader sense: do not loose both docs when we know plenty of tech is still available everywhere.
But you are right in the anime context on a stranded island with no tech available hundreds of miles around... Modern docs are pretty much like race horses: useless outside of their field.

MFauli
Sun, 10-27-2019, 08:33 AM
Kohaku definitely seemed worried for a minute when she thought they might be related.

Which made little sense, considering everybody in the village is more closely related to each other than Senku ever would.

With only 3 couples originally, it's a village where cousins, nieces and uncles, nephews and aunts, and maybe even 'worse' had offspring with each other, it wouldn't have worked otherwise .

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-27-2019, 08:53 AM
It makes sense that they didn't couple up but actually had the females breed with all the males.

This show is so dumb.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-27-2019, 09:11 AM
I assumed both doctors left together in case one of them died. It was going to be a long rowboat trip to find antibiotics that hadn't expired, and were the right ones.

Like Senku said with Ruri, it was a total gamble. If he made sulfa drugs and it was TB and not pneumonia, he would have killed her.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-27-2019, 09:46 AM
Like Senku said with Ruri, it was a total gamble. If he made sulfa drugs and it was TB and not pneumonia, he would have killed done nothing for her.

Small, but important difference.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-27-2019, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I'm not a doctor, so I'm trusting what the show says.

That said, how do you think the entire village would take it, including Chrome and Kohaku?

DarthEnderX
Sun, 10-27-2019, 02:33 PM
But you are right in the anime context on a stranded island with no tech available hundreds of miles around...To be honest, they never should have set themselves up on an island to begin with.

I mean, they made it TO that island to begin with, they should have been able to make it to the mainland if they'd all worked together, and they should have STARTED their lives there, instead of waiting for shit to get bad to try and make the trip.

MFauli
Fri, 11-01-2019, 01:02 PM
Episode 18:

I hate how the heroes aren't handing out lethal attacks. These enemies are attacking with the goal to kill them, so answering with deadly force is the only correct way - especially when you're the weaker one.

David75
Fri, 11-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Well, Senku wants to save humanity.
Tsukasa's scumbag detector is extremely efficient...

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-03-2019, 02:29 AM
Yeah, I'm actually quite pleased that Tsukasa actually did acknowledge that "You didn't find a body. So you can't say for sure that he's dead."

MFauli
Fri, 11-08-2019, 01:48 PM
Episode 19:

Sigh
Whatever weapon is gonna be easier to make than A CELLPHONE. facepalm. Not mention why doesn't he call it a walkie talkie? Because there's no.way he'll be able to program software.

The worst part was the bs survival of the death gas by the 2 villains, though. They had no idea about what's coming, but just got out of the way right on time :/

David75
Fri, 11-08-2019, 03:00 PM
walkie talkie yup. Or even portable two-way radio station.
I remembered a movie where a student from the 40's builds a campus radio with almost nothing... and google tells me it's a foxbole radio.
And Senku already has all the bits and pieces available.
Two ways isn't even that important.
And I can see foxhole radio working quite well outside the buzzing world we live in.
Even a morse radio would suffice and you can learn morse quickly.

In fact it's far more feasible than the antibiotics route he chose...

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-08-2019, 04:26 PM
Did I see a fucking integrated circuit on that roadmap??

I'll need to add popcorn to my shopping list next week.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-08-2019, 07:37 PM
I always cringe whenever I hear Tsukasa waxing about his ideals.

His ambition is downright idiotic. He basically clumped all adults as corrupt, and all young people as pure, which is utterly moronic. He also seems to think that reviving older people will automatically allow them to take advantage of non-existent technology and rule them again, which makes no sense because the tools for them to do that are gone. Younger and stronger people will have the advantage.

Also, he seems to be forgetting that the young people he is saving will also grow old... His entire character (and by extension, most of the plot of this show) is absolutely bonkers and dumb.

That said, I should've expected as much from Tsukasa, the strongest highschooler.

Also, the village should have bows by now, right? Why wouldn't Senku teach them that?

Because if they had bows, they could've just killed spear dude and fire girl while they are sitting ducks on that tree. Heck, even just throwing stones at them can kill them at that point because falling = death.

Ryllharu
Fri, 11-08-2019, 08:39 PM
I always cringe whenever I hear Tsukasa waxing about his ideals.

His ambition is downright idiotic. He basically clumped all adults as corrupt, and all young people as pure, which is utterly moronic. He also seems to think that reviving older people will automatically allow them to take advantage of non-existent technology and rule them again, which makes no sense because the tools for them to do that are gone. Younger and stronger people will have the advantage.

That said, I should've expected as much from Tsukasa, the strongest highschooler.
Tsukasa is an amazingly written rival character.

He almost perfectly represents the attitude of rebellious youth.
"If only we were in control and did things differently, we could build a better or even perfect society!"

You hear that sentiment all the time from older high schoolers, idealists at universities (young and old), and entitled people just entering the workforce. Does saying it that way make me an old fogey? Sure does!

Where Tsukasa is foolish isn't his warnings about those who enjoyed power wanting it back...he's a prime example of the very warning he repeats. No, he's wrong about thinking he can stamp out scientific progress and that maintaining the status quo of total anarchist freedom will make an ideal world. He can't stop progress. At all. It crops up naturally.

Ruri is the only one who knows all 100 stories, so she does know what the world may have once been like, and how to stay safe. But Chrome started experimenting right away from an early age. Like stated in the acid episode, Senku knew that even if he died, Chrome would still ultimately start the seed of a new civilization. Suika figured out how to make glasses for herself. Kohaku was well on her way to discovering treatments for her sister through experimentation. An artisan, given the right inspiration, will figure out how to create masterpieces.

It's not Senku and Tsukasa who are polar opposites. It's Tsukasa and Chrome. Idealistic youth, both going in totally opposite directions.

Senku is just Ishigami Village's cheat code.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-08-2019, 09:15 PM
Amazingly written for children, I guess. That's not a hit on you (ya old fogey), but simply stating the target audience of this story.

Of course people who previously had power want it back, but how will they do that if they will die out or get killed even before anyone re-invents guns? The entire premise of Tsukasa's fear is hogwash.

Nothing he says makes any sense, which in itself makes sense, because he is still a child.

EDIT:
Also, how did the muscle hogs not die after getting hit by a spear from glasses dude? I didn't get that at all.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 11-09-2019, 03:19 AM
The worst part was the bs survival of the death gas by the 2 villains, though. They had no idea about what's coming, but just got out of the way right on time :/Well, they saw the good guys suddenly run up a tree, and they did the same. Also, the gas masks were clearly visible.

Also, he seems to be forgetting that the young people he is saving will also grow old... His entire character (and by extension, most of the plot of this show) is absolutely bonkers and dumb.100%.

And the worst part is, he hates all adults cause, like, some drunk guy yelled at him once. Like, wtf dude.

MFauli
Sat, 11-09-2019, 05:16 AM
Well, they saw the good guys suddenly run up a tree, and they did the same. Also, the gas masks were clearly visibl.

"This wind ... death" clearly happens before either Suika gets up the tree nor gas masks are visible nor Senku shouts 'get in the tree'.

It's bs.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 11-16-2019, 02:48 AM

---

It's cool that Chrome is at the point where he's inventing things on his own now, even if they HAVE already been invented before.

Hydroelectric Power does seem pretty damn important.

MFauli
Sat, 11-16-2019, 04:10 AM
Also seems obvious. Senku is stupid when necessary for the plot I guess :i

Speaking of which: The whole 'we'lll beat them with communication!' Is so dumb 🙄 If Tsukasa, spear guy and acrobat girl + some mob attack, Senku and everyone will just get murdered asap. Hell, Tsukasa would do it all by himself.

David75
Sat, 11-16-2019, 05:16 AM
I was a little bit angry at the scenarist to take that long to let go of manpower for mechanical tasks, because it is fairly low tech compared to drug chemistry.
But I guess the point is Chrome and others from the tribe have to grow technically and start experimenting and create new stuff with the knowledge they acquire with Senku.
And even if the waterwheel is fairly low tech, it took hundreds of years before it was really useful, reliable and knowledge/experience allowed for better adaptation to where the intended use was.

As for information being key, even Hyoga pointed that out. My guess is outside the trio, no one is really strong and anyone can switch side... And even that pink girl might switch at some point, or she becomes key to have Hyoga switch. Although my guess is he won't for the balance of the story.
No one being really strong outside the trio enables to strike isolated groups whenever possible when they do chores outside camp for example.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-16-2019, 07:45 AM
The only reason the village survived the earlier fight was because the spear was sabotaged. Replace one spear, and the Tsukasa's team would be winning again in wet weather.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-16-2019, 08:17 AM
Speaking of which: The whole 'we'lll beat them with communication!' Is so dumb ��
You are severely underestimating how much power instant communication has in warfare. Even moreso when it can't be intercepted.

Have you even watched Girls und Panzer? They devote two entire episodes to it.

MFauli
Sat, 11-16-2019, 12:24 PM
You are severely underestimating how much power instant communication has in warfare. Even moreso when it can't be intercepted.

Have you even watched Girls und Panzer? They devote two entire episodes to it.

Ok:
- Tsukasa attacks Senku
- Senku talks over phone
- Senku is ripped apart

:/

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-16-2019, 07:27 PM
Tsukasa never gets to Senku because Senku is always aware of his location with the use of scouts and spies.

That said, Tsukasa's "strategy" to wait is idiotic. He and spear guy are enough to apparently wipe-out huge swathes of humans. Just attack during the night and silently kill the two bridge watchers, or swim to the island, climb in, and assassinate Senku.

For a show that tries to pretend its heroes are "smart," it is dumb as bricks.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 11-16-2019, 07:50 PM
I will say, they talk about how defensible the village is, but it seems like most of Senku's Kingdom of Science stuff is located OUTSIDE the village. So it seems pretty vulnerable.

Also seems obvious. Senku is stupid when necessary for the plot I guess :iI'm sure Senku was planning to get around to it when it became part of the build order, but his surprise was that Chrome went out and did it on his own.

As for information being key, even Hyoga pointed that out. My guess is outside the trio, no one is really strong and anyone can switch side... And even that pink girl might switch at some point, or she becomes key to have Hyoga switch. Although my guess is he won't for the balance of the story.
No one being really strong outside the trio enables to strike isolated groups whenever possible when they do chores outside camp for example.I honestly think that at some point, even Tsukasa is going to switch sides. Because he feels very much like a "first arc" villain, and not a big bad for the entire series.

Tsukasa's idea of civilization is honestly really dumb, and he has a "might makes right" mentality. And I think once he's beaten, he'll just join up with Senku. Because he already likes and respects Senku, and is only his enemy because their ideas for civilization are incompatible.

MFauli
Sun, 11-17-2019, 05:46 AM
And yet Tsukasa has murdered people ...

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-17-2019, 10:50 AM
And yet Tsukasa has murdered people ...Right. Just like half the allies of every shounen protagonist ever.

Tsukasa is your Vegeta/Sasuke.

MFauli
Sun, 11-17-2019, 12:00 PM
Right. Just like half the allies of every shounen protagonist ever.

Tsukasa is your Vegeta/Sasuke.

Being a trope doesn't mean It's ok.

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-17-2019, 12:12 PM
Being a trope doesn't mean It's ok.

Tropes aren't inherently bad writing.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-17-2019, 01:06 PM
I think Mfauli isn't criticizing tropes per se, but that it being a trope doesn't make it okay for murderers to become allies.

neflight86
Sun, 11-17-2019, 02:33 PM
I thought the waiting to attack was also because of the gunpowder bluff. Tsukasa needs to revive more meat shields to take on guns.

Hydro power is good, but not urgent, as they have very little to use electricity on currently (no pun intended). Sulfa drugs, however, were on a time crunch due to the dying onee-san.

Still makes enough sense to me.

MFauli
Sun, 11-17-2019, 02:47 PM
Tropes aren't inherently bad writing.

Where did I say that?

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-17-2019, 03:48 PM
I think Mfauli isn't criticizing tropes per se, but that it being a trope doesn't make it okay for murderers to become allies.*shrug*

Senku is extremely pragmatic. Tsukasa's strength(and manpower) would be extremely useful to him if he can convince him to join him.

Tsukasa IS a piece of shit. But he's the kind of piece of shit that would go "I was defeated, therefor my ideals must have been wrong."

His view of civilization is also not conducive to him being a long-term antagonist. Because he's unwilling to develop technology, the only way he can increase his threat is to add more people to his army, which just isn't interesting to do over and over again.

"Well, we defeated Tsukasa and his hundred person army with the power of science! But next year, he'll come back with FIVE hundred people! Time for more science!"

That's not good writing.

MFauli
Sun, 11-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Good writing would be: 'We've killed Tsukasa! Now let's move on!'

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-17-2019, 10:18 PM
Or he killed himself after defeat, cause Senku doesn't kill.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-18-2019, 12:06 AM
I thought the waiting to attack was also because of the gunpowder bluff. Tsukasa needs to revive more meat shields to take on guns.

But that counter was already learned.

Senku uses Gun.
Bad boys use Rain
Senku uses Katana.
Bad boys use Spear.
Senku activates his trap card "Minus Spear"
Bad boys make a new spear.

/Repeat from the top, without the trap card.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 11-18-2019, 02:57 AM
Maybe it's a drought after that night until spring? /s

That said, they really can just sneak into the island at night and climb up. Ninja girl did it. Tsukasa and spear dood can do it too, and the two of them can wipe them out right now. Guns only mean anything if you have normal human abilities. Killing lions with bare hands, dodging crossbows, well, guns mean shit unless you charge at a line shooting at you.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 11-18-2019, 03:21 AM
Well, the thing about Senku is, even if it's not gunpowder, it could be something else. They're being overly cautious because who knows what crazy shit he's built in the few days they've been gone! Maybe he, ya know, invented umbrellas to keep his guns dry!

That or, ya know, so the plot can happen.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-22-2019, 06:43 PM
Episode 21

---------------------------------------

According to the stats screen, Gen has 5 attack power, Suika has 3, while Senku has 1. Even Senku should have the same as Suika to be honest.

Kohaku having 20K HP is broken as hell.

David75
Sat, 11-23-2019, 02:20 AM
Wait for Hyoga and Tsukasa's stats...

MFauli
Sat, 11-23-2019, 03:09 AM
Wait for Hyoga and Tsukasa's stats...

Stats: unknown

*looks up walkthrough*

"Beating Tsukasa: Have to wait for story event"

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-06-2019, 11:30 AM
Episode 23

---------------------

So when they said cellphone, they meant a giant radio that sits on the back of a trolley instead of everyone's pocket. I feel misled.

David75
Fri, 12-06-2019, 12:28 PM
So it's a PR:Portable Radio like in PC:Portable Computer...
But they need at least 2... or more for the multiple groups they will probably need to fight.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 12-06-2019, 03:36 PM
Maybe.

It's possible what he's built is actually the cell phone tower, and the actual receivers don't need to be that big.

MFauli
Fri, 12-06-2019, 03:53 PM
I still don't get how this is gonna help them against Tsukasa. Anybody who meets Tsukasa is dead ...

Maybe.

It's possible what he's built is actually the cell phone tower, and the actual receivers don't need to be that big.

That's what I thought, yes. Like, this is the main station and the phones themselves are simple wire devices or whatever.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 12-07-2019, 03:39 AM
Maybe they'll be smart and just shoot Tsukasa...

I mean, I realize he was bluffing about having firearms before, but he could obviously EASILY make guns now.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 12-14-2019, 03:15 AM

---

Aw damn, we're stopping the season THERE?!

Least we went out on some more feels.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-14-2019, 05:04 AM

---

Aw damn, we're stopping the season THERE?!

Least we went out on some more feels.

Yeah, the song was great.

And it turns out that really was just one big transmitter/receiver. I thought maybe the 800 small batteries that Senku asked thingo to make were for smaller units, but no...
--maybe it'll have just enough power to be a receiver but I don't know.

I never paid much attention to the post-credit warnings, but it's funny. Don't go looking for sulphuric acid yourselves kids!

MFauli
Sat, 12-14-2019, 09:30 AM
Wait, that's it? Is it continuing?

David75
Sat, 12-14-2019, 09:35 AM
Wait, that's it? Is it continuing?
Someone didn't watch the ep to the very end...

MFauli
Sat, 12-14-2019, 09:39 AM
Someone didn't watch the ep to the very end...

And now I did!

Ah!

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Dr Stone OST1 (magnet:?xt=urn:btih:da217d3138eac17d4ffff54d49182 63d39f831d1&dn=Dr.%20Stone%20-%20Original%20Soundtrack%20%5BMP3%5D&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fnyaa.tracker.wf%3A7777%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.stealth.si%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fann ounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969%2Fan nounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969%2Fannounce )

Dr Stone OST2 (magnet:?xt=urn:btih:660c2a5f46a24e43a52aabf06aeb4 83a5eb0ca2a&dn=Dr%20Stone%20OST%202&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fnyaa.tracker.wf%3A7777%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.stealth.si%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fann ounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969%2Fan nounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969%2Fannounce ) (the better one)

Munsu
Thu, 01-14-2021, 10:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O08KzyL0ghA

Currently catching up to the first season, but first episode of season 2 is out.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 01-15-2021, 01:17 AM
I feel like their Japan is showing when they're like, "Cup ramen is the key to winning this war!"

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-15-2021, 11:04 AM
I don't expect carrying around waterproof bamboo cups to be light - not compared to actual cup ramen.

Surely bread or jerky is going to be more suited for war rations.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-15-2021, 04:48 PM
The episode was worth it for their smug faces at 18:40 alone.

exglitch67
Sun, 01-17-2021, 04:16 PM
I don't expect carrying around waterproof bamboo cups to be light - not compared to actual cup ramen.

Surely bread or jerky is going to be more suited for war rations.

Not to opine on the usefulness of freeze dried cup ramen as a war ration but bamboo is one of the lightest crafting materials you could find and they only need to bring one bowl per person. Agree jerky likely would of been better but carbohydrates would likely be needed for extended conflicts.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-17-2021, 04:19 PM
Not to opine on the usefulness of freeze dried cup ramen as a war ration but bamboo is one of the lightest crafting materials you could find and they only need to bring one bowl per person. Agree jerky likely would of been better but carbohydrates would likely be needed for extended conflicts.

I guess you "could" freeze-dry ramen from the cup then package them in something else... and hope moisture doesn't get back into it...

It'd decrease its shelf life, but that's moot for guerilla warfare (unless it rains, then good luck).

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-17-2021, 05:14 PM

I thought the cave and the village are weeks apart? The place where Senku was "killed" was already a few days travel from the cave, and after he woke up, the village was a few more away.

It might be a day's travel for Kohaku, but she's well into the superhuman range.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-18-2021, 01:06 PM
I assumed exglitch meant that Team Senku should bring a bowl each along with packets of instant ramen.

I didn't think he meant that they should bring one serving only.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 01-18-2021, 03:33 PM
The whole point of the instant ramen vs jerky/hard tack for rations is the boost morale. Eating delicious, nutritious, hot food will do wonders for motivation and endurance in the cold compared to tasteless rubbery/powdery half-frozen crap.

The main problem I have with the ramen is the need for hot water. You can't exactly light a fire while scouting near or in enemy territory.

Ryllharu
Mon, 01-18-2021, 05:05 PM
I assume it is more of a base camp sort of thing. It's winter, they're going to need fires one way or another. Honestly, not sure how the pink octopus lips girl is not freezing to death.

If there's a bubbling pot of hot water and a well-protected warm fire at their base, someone coming back from scouting can quickly warm up. There's also at least one hot spring along the way.

The real benefits to the freeze dried food is that it's super light, can't spoil because it is dry, and can be reconstituted with just water (plenty of snow for that too).

MFauli
Sat, 01-23-2021, 06:29 AM
Episode 2:

I really hate the super abiliites of the unfrozen people. I'm sorry, but showing that the pink girl used to be an athlete only makes it WORSE, because no athlete can jump from tree branch to tree branch.

It should be people growing up in the wild that have super abilities, THEY are used to survival, fighting wildlife, traversing difficult environments. Instead they come off as sheltered current day-people whereas the unfrozen guys under Tsukasa appear to be perfectly adapted to living in the wild. That's dumb. :/

Dear god, the entire group couldn't catch the pink girl until some super elaborate trick. And now the episode ended with some super-duper bowshooter guy. Bowshooting. Again, something that the wild people should excel at, not some current day guy who won some tournaments.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-23-2021, 11:20 AM
You're complaining about things that are exaggerated for effect, and missing all the very obvious hints the series literally explains to us.

It's pretty obviously acknowledged that Kohaku is physically superior to Homura in every way:
- She has 11x natural vision, a stamina that Homura plainly states seems inexhaustible, and physically overpowers her.
- Kohaku tells Senku that if she was allowed to kill Homura, it would be easy, but they're trying to capture her alive.
- Kohaku is put out of the first fight because Senku blinds her as well with the flare, and it debilitates Kohaku even more because of her super vision.
- Homura's gymnastics completely baffle Kohaku. Flips, jumps, spins, somersaults, Kohaku has never seen any of this stuff before in her entire life, and she doesn't know what to think. Is it an attack, is it an evasive strategy (yes), it's also just mindblowing to her.

Tsukasa knows ALL of the people he's waking up by name. It's just the circles he was part of in the 21st century. He knows everyone with superhuman or peak-level abilities from being on variety shows, exhibition fights, and survivalist events. Of course they're all physically superior, all skilled at survival, or have uniquely specialized skills like Gen. Senku only has Kohaku, Magma, and Gen.

David75
Sat, 01-23-2021, 03:45 PM
Of course there's caricature and exageration in anime, but if you ever have the chance to be very close a world class athlete in action, it trully is incredible and over the top.
Had the experience for volley ball, table tenis, soccer, golf and other sports... yes I loved sports...
It trully is mind blowing the levels of precision, speed, reflexes, strength, so incredible it feels impossible and unreal, yet it happens right before your eyes.

Now it felt like watching Naruto at times :D

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-24-2021, 01:45 AM
Had the experience for volley ball, table tenis, soccer, golf and other sports... yes I loved sports...
What a dork!

David75
Sun, 01-24-2021, 03:51 AM
IKR, what am I doing on a weeb has been bbs ��

MFauli
Fri, 02-12-2021, 07:55 AM
Episode 5:

Man, this show really is such bs. It wants to be scientific on some things, but is soooo unscientific on a ton of others.

When Kinro can fell a tree just with his spear, then why even bother with science? :/

I'm disappointed how much you need to shut off your brain for enjoying it.

And lol at Tsukasa predicting EXACTLY what Senku planned. Sigh. This anime is for 5 yos ...

DarthEnderX
Fri, 02-12-2021, 10:20 AM
When Kinro can fell a tree just with his spear, then why even bother with science?Because then the science thing stops his spear?

And lol at Tsukasa predicting EXACTLY what Senku planned.I mean, *I* predicted that a guy that makes guns could also make tanks next.

My bigger question is, how is Tsukasa making such great tank traps in his kingdom of no tech? Like, collapsible stone floors that look perfect with spike pits inside...

MFauli
Fri, 02-12-2021, 01:59 PM
Because then the science thing stops his spear?p

Yeah, the science where a, what, 2cm thick plastic shield stops a spear that just fell a tree.

My bigger question is, how is Tsukasa making such great tank traps in his kingdom of no tech? Like, collapsible stone floors that look perfect with spike pits inside...

With a spear? Lol

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-12-2021, 11:17 PM
With fingers that can grab and throw trees. Pretty easy to dig holes and sharpen bamboo with superpowers.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 02-13-2021, 03:44 AM
Yeah, the science where a, what, 2cm thick plastic shield stops a spear that just fell a tree.The plastic is just a component. The shield is carbon fiber. Look it up.

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-13-2021, 05:09 PM
I'd struggle to say it is 'carbon fiber' which is actually kinda weak, especially to tearing or cutting. Any impact really. It's strong against tension and bending.

Everyone's seen some idiot's messed up car body kit.

But it is a resin composite armor, which can be quite strong depending on how it is made and layered. It's more like medieval armor such as linens soaked in glues.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-13-2021, 08:39 PM
Put it this way.

The armour is strong.
But not resist-spear-that-falls-trees strong.
But that means the spear was stronger than the tree.

So... whatever.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 02-13-2021, 11:22 PM
The armour is strong.
But not resist-spear-that-falls-trees strong.It stopped the hit?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 02-15-2021, 03:23 AM
It stopped the hit?

What I'm saying is that resin is strong, but it should not be strong enough to resist anything that breaks a tree.

I'm disagreeing with the episode.

However, the issue isn't actually that a resin composite shield stopped a spear. That's perfectly believable.
What's unbelievable is that something that shatters a tree is blocked by said shield. That said.. take a step back. A spear shattering a tree is the real culprit. How does it even do that?

At that point, my brain stopped and accepted the fact that this is anime, people get slammed against rocks, rocks break but their spines don't.. and that's that.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 02-15-2021, 05:24 AM
What I'm saying is that resin is strong, but it should not be strong enough to resist anything that breaks a tree.Like you said, the spear shouldn't be able to break the tree either.

If they exaggerated the effectiveness of the spear, it makes sense to exaggerate the effectiveness of the shield as well.

David75
Mon, 02-15-2021, 11:34 AM
IRL:
Bullet proof vests stop bullets (maybe not all calibers/speeds, but most of them). And it's pretty sure that the impact from a bullet is orders of magnitude higher in energy than a spear.
And bullet proof vest are real life voodoo science to my eyes.
They really do not need to exagerate anything.
But they did.
So instead of cutting a 10cm (4inches) diameter tree in a single spear shot-maybe some very well trained masters of the spear could ?-, he does so with one 3 times the diameter...
As you all pointed out, here is the over exageration.
Next, that a shield can dissipate the energy from an impact, why not. Like a bullet proof vest. That the blade desintegrates at impact, well only in anime...

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-25-2021, 01:27 PM
S2 Ep 07

------------------------

It's one thing to capture a site, but another to hold it. If the goal is to keep the batcave so you can continue reviving/repairing people (instead of just destroying it and looking for another), then I struggle to see how Senku's team can actually hold off against Tsukasa if that guy rushed him afterwards.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 02-25-2021, 02:45 PM
Was thinking the same thing. If Senku's plan is to run people off in a panic to capture the cave, how does he intend to hold onto it after the panic fades and Tsukasa' regroups them?

Maybe he already has science defenses planned...

Ryllharu
Thu, 02-25-2021, 05:22 PM
I think they only need to run away with a full pot of the nitric acid. The resurrection "etching fluid" is pretty easy to make besides that.

Or maybe, the goal is to actually destroy the cave so Tsukasa can't use it anymore. Senku must know another way to make nitric acid, they already have electricity and know how to make ammonia. I mean, they just revealed he's been using the Master of Handicrafts (Yuzuriha) to piece together broken statues. Senku's been running long-game psychological plays well before Gen switched sides.

MFauli
Sat, 02-27-2021, 09:52 AM
There's so much dumb stuff goung in, but I can't get over how incredibly dumb it is that EVERYONE knows that singer AND likes her.

Like, if I were one of them and Lady Gaga started singing, I'd be like 'so what? It's not not even jpop ...'. That everyone loves her to the degree of instantly switching to Senku is just blergh.

Also, how is it smart to LIE to everyone?! What will they do when they find out the USA aren't there? Even if they don't return to Tsukasa, they'd rightfully be pissed at Senku.

Ugh

neflight86
Sat, 02-27-2021, 01:28 PM
They don't have to like Lillian W, they just have to have enough of them recognize her voice to maker her claims of Tsukasa's empire's days being numbered sound credible. That's the ploy. Its not "I'll sign an autograph for you if you stop helping Tsukasa", its "America is on the way. Tsukasa's empire is not tenable- please assist Senku in the meantime." Her being recognizable is enough, and typically American celebrities are typically world famous due to modern marketing efforts.

Lying is questionable for sure, but their goal is to restore civilization in its entirety, so they can always claim later that this is a step to making that lie come true, if you are feeling generous.

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-27-2021, 01:37 PM
Also, how is it smart to LIE to everyone?! What will they do when they find out the USA aren't there? Even if they don't return to Tsukasa, they'd rightfully be pissed at Senku.

Gen and Senku discussed how the lie will backfire on them either way, episodes ago.

The point is to end Tsukasa's influence and return to an innovation and science-based society that intends to save every petrified human on earth. "Might Makes Right" is currently winning, and Tsukasa intends to kill off all the older people for good so that his "pure" society is all that remains.

This has been explained.

MFauli
Sat, 02-27-2021, 02:48 PM
Gen and Senku discussed how the lie will backfire on them either way, episodes ago.

The point is to end Tsukasa's influence and return to an innovation and science-based society that intends to save every petrified human on earth. "Might Makes Right" is currently winning, and Tsukasa intends to kill off all the older people for good so that his "pure" society is all that remains.

This has been explained.

And what did they decide on that will prevent any severe backlash?

DarthEnderX
Sat, 02-27-2021, 11:10 PM
Also, how is it smart to LIE to everyone?! What will they do when they find out the USA aren't there? Even if they don't return to Tsukasa, they'd rightfully be pissed at Senku.Once they've had cotton candy, ramen and soda again, they'll never go back

MFauli
Sun, 03-14-2021, 08:19 PM
S2-Episode 9:

LOL, Tsukasa is so full of shit. "What would you have done?" How about NOT kill people?!

Also: Really?! Using dynamite to blow up the ground and coincidentially not blowing up his sister?

This anime really requires you to shut down your brain, which is quite ironic considering its "science" angle.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-14-2021, 08:52 PM
Pretty sure spearguy is gonna be our next big bad.

LOL, Tsukasa is so full of shit. "What would you have done?" How about NOT kill people?!
Right? Like if you're worried about resources, all you have to do is NOT wake people up.

David75
Mon, 03-15-2021, 12:43 AM
Well,,we have Hyoga and maybe another time-bomb: other statues start to degenerate or coming back to life. Meaning you need to take care of so many people and Hyoga at the same time.

Ryllharu
Mon, 03-15-2021, 03:31 AM
S2-Episode 9:

This anime really requires you to shut down your brain, which is quite ironic considering its "science" angle.

Right? Like if you're worried about resources, all you have to do is NOT wake people up.
Eh, I don't really have a problem with Tsukasa's excuse. He was playing triage. He is woken up by Senku, thinks he's lost all hope of ever seeing his sister again, and goes into mental triage mode. Saving the human race by picking only the strong, deliberately breaking those older (and in his eyes, selfish and self-centered) people.

But he's as much of an idiot as Taiju, waking up equally self-centered young people like that asshole cop guy, and bloodthirsty others. He gets it right sometimes though, like with the hearing guy.

He's doing the best he can with what he can, like Senku's first year.

Also: Really?! Using dynamite to blow up the ground and coincidentially not blowing up his sister?
Yeah...that one's pretty dumb. The excuse that he can just have Yuziriha piece her back together is a bit of a cop-out excuse around it.
Dynamite is explicitly used to shatter and crack stone slabs. They're claiming that there's bedrock on the top, but soft dirt underneath? That's not how geology works. The shockwave is almost guaranteed to crack his sister's statue.

Maybe if it was 'remnants of hospital roof and floors concrete on top' floods filled in all the rooms with sand...

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-15-2021, 04:20 AM
Saving the human race by picking only the strong, deliberately breaking those older (and in his eyes, selfish and self-centered) people.Yeah, but, again, his argument is "a stone-aged world can't support too many people, so someone has to decide who gets saved." Which, okay, fine, but the stone people don't require any resources. You want to save the young and strong, fine, but you don't have to smash the others. You can just...leave them as statues.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-26-2021, 01:43 AM
Episode 11

---------------------

Well that was decently fun. Super glue does jack shit for wounds that aren't just skin cuts with no tension, but anyway.

Cryo is interesting, but he'd be physically dead in there.. so they're saying that you can revive dead people with petrification.

Kohaku remains ridiculously cute.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 03-26-2021, 02:47 AM
I mean, it has healed fatal injuries in the past. The idea just seems to be "If we keep him from rotting, the stone process will do the rest."

This series is does a really great job of ending on great "to be continued" moments! Season 1 was "The Stone Wars are coming!" and this time it's "The Age of Discovery begins!"

Honestly, after some of the shit he's made already, a boat seems quaint.

I thought at first he might make a boat big enough to take the entire colony, but they can't move Tsukasa, and they aren't leaving him untended. So I'm curious which characters are going to be left behind for the foreseeable future.

Ryllharu
Fri, 03-26-2021, 04:56 AM
I don't know, I felt this series was kind of boring compared to the first, and I'm honestly not sure I will watch any subsequent seasons. Unless there's nothing else to watch in the middle of the week.

It wasn't as bad as Code Geass R2's first half where they redid the entire first season with nation-palette swaps, but a lot of this season felt like a retread. There wasn't that same level of excitement where they are rediscovering new technologies piece by piece, struggling for each vital ingredient.

It felt more like the mini-arc with the mine where, "oh gee, we found nearly every difficult-to-find mineral we could possibly need."

Compare the creation of the vacuum tubes last season to basically any invention this season. There wasn't that struggle and iteration, the learning process in the craftsmanship. Senku knew what part they needed and poof, they had it and they completed it.

I think the only episode that really compares is the Chrome in Prison one, but even then, he's literally handed the secret ingredient.

There's certainly some element of 'Technology Simply Accelerates,' and it builds on itself that makes sense. Senku was solo for an entire year still in the stone age while he was figuring out the revival fluid's first steps to safely bring back Taiju.

There were characters I liked. Characters who were smarter or better at something than the leads. Nikki is a great example, and one of the better additions to the cast. She couldn't be tricked by their technological and psychological bullshit because she was a super fan. And she wasn't angry about them trying to trick her.

But this season didn't really have that spark that the first season had, where I was really fired up to watch the next episode each week.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 03-26-2021, 03:04 PM
There's certainly some element of 'Technology Simply Accelerates,' and it builds on itself that makes sense. Senku was solo for an entire year still in the stone age while he was figuring out the revival fluid's first steps to safely bring back Taiju.Well, this was basically gonna be my argument with your complaint, but you already said it. :p

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-27-2021, 09:25 AM
https://i.imgur.com/O6mNQNa.png

Taiju cosplay on point.

neflight86
Mon, 03-29-2021, 08:32 AM
I don't know, I felt this series was kind of boring compared to the first, and I'm honestly not sure I will watch any subsequent seasons. Unless there's nothing else to watch in the middle of the week.

But this season didn't really have that spark that the first season had, where I was really fired up to watch the next episode each week.

As a manga prophet, allow me to say that the next arc(s) have much less focus on gathering materials and more on the application of scientific principles/equipment, psychology, and tactics. The story will begin to move toward real intrigue going forward, and I believe the hype will return with it. This season was the second half of an arc they couldn't fit into the first season, I would argue, and its pacing suffered for it. After a clean break, the next season should be much better.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 07-10-2022, 09:53 PM

---

I didn't know this was coming back this season.

David75
Mon, 07-11-2022, 05:24 PM
Long and fun first ep

neflight86
Mon, 07-11-2022, 07:06 PM
I thought this was simply a one off movie to introduce/revive that character. I heard the next season isn't until next year.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 07-11-2022, 10:48 PM
Oh...

----

David75
Mon, 07-11-2022, 10:58 PM
Humm, too bad, it was such a good reintro to that world....

neflight86
Wed, 07-13-2022, 02:24 PM
Just watched the OVA. Great arc and introduction to Ryuusui. The use of money, and establishment of its value, to motivate people and slackers to work extra hard is a fun idea not explored in anime often. One strength of Dr. Stone is that it handles its large cast well and doesn't try to force less important characters to get equal screen time, but most everyone gets some input, which admittedly is easier in a three episode mash up, but that is my impression still. Another strength is the creativity of life threatening 'obstacles' that must be overcome by the crew even in the absence of a philosophical villain or antagonist. Look forward to s3.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 04-06-2023, 10:20 PM
S3 - 01

---

Weird to think they unlocked cars and cell phones before...basic agriculture.

The Minecraft imagery was fun.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-11-2023, 06:25 PM
S3 - 01

---

Weird to think they unlocked cars and cell phones before...basic agriculture.

The Minecraft imagery was fun.

Yeah they went all into upgrades before increasing supply. It makes sense though. The village sorted itself out until now.

With wheat they'll be able to have real ramen instead of that other grain they had.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-14-2023, 02:23 PM
S3E2

------------

The butler was way more entertaining than I expected. When they brought up a "chef" last time I just expected someone who could make food. I didn't expect them to bring in someone who could essentially admin/secretary their worldbuilding efforts.

And cook.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-21-2023, 06:52 PM
S3E3

------------------

I thought it was going to be SOS like usual, but the dashes weren't correct. WHY on repeat was pretty damn ominous. At the same time, this would either be an AI, or a descendant from someone from the past. It would seem strange to routinely petrify/unpetrify yourself to just check on a world you blasted.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-18-2023, 10:54 PM

---

If the island has a petrification beam, then reviving Tsukasa can happen much sooner.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-21-2023, 04:32 AM

---

If the island has a petrification beam, then reviving Tsukasa can happen much sooner.

I'd never actually thought about how animal life has been essentially unchanged despite global petrification. You'd think there'd be some change to them.

Soyuz's story is weird. You can explain it away with him having memories as a child, but if he left the island with his birth mother, then got dumped on a beach to be found by someone from the Ishigami village then he shouldn't have access to his birth name realistically.

David75
Sun, 05-21-2023, 04:34 AM
Soyuz probably was 3 or most probably 4, right when long term memory starts working.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 05-21-2023, 07:11 AM
Soyuz is super weird all over. He's this character that just suddenly appeared and was like "I've been here the whole time, and I have information on the place you're going." It's either suspicious as hell, or a complete ass-pull by the writer.

There's enough named village characters already they could have given this Soyuz plot to someone like Magma or Kinro or something.

David75
Sun, 05-21-2023, 07:28 AM
Or he could have been an escapee they rescue while going there. Trust levels would be the same.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 05-21-2023, 01:02 PM
Or he could have been an escapee they rescue while going there. Trust levels would be the same.Yeah, but then he'd have TOO much information, because he'd be an adult that was fully aware of what was going on on the island.

David75
Sun, 05-21-2023, 01:11 PM
Partial amnesia, one of the many plot tools available.
Probably a bit better than what we had.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-21-2023, 09:57 PM
On the other hand, I'm amused by Amaryllis actually being quite manipulative herself. It sucks a little that her cause at its core is noble and thus a little boring, but that seems to be the trend in this show.
There aren't very many truly evil, selfish bastards. The ones that are actual scum are petty or worthless enough that they don't ultimately pose a threat. Let's see if the new antagonists buckle this trend.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-26-2023, 08:21 AM
Episode 08

------------------

Given that the stone shoots a "light", I wonder if it requires sunlight to work. That leaves the question of how it turns off after an attack to let you touch it again. If it always requires falling into the sea to "block sunlight" then that really makes it inflexible for all but controlling the island's borders.

Going with the grenade idea, it's possible that you have to rub something on top of it to produce a temporary reaction too.

In other news, Senku got kissed by Kohaku, the best girl in the series by a fair margin.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-02-2023, 07:48 AM
Episode 09

-------------------

A few good laughs this episode.
I'm loving the Kohaku focus since she's my favourite. All that said, I still like lioness Kohaku more than cute Kohaku.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 06-15-2023, 12:44 PM
Episode 11

-------------------

Aaaand, that's it. No more episodes till October.

This is a fun series. Some things are not believable, like the mice working without a remote control etc. Byakuya could also have really fucked it all up if he fell forward and smashed that bottle he was putting everything into. But little things aside that I can ignore since this isn't exactly a serious series, I love the general vibe and optimism that seems to carry through the series.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 06-16-2023, 01:48 AM
I'm a little confused as to why Byakuya wouldn't have already sorted the platinum dust into a separate container from the gold dust. It's not like he didn't have the free time.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 10-12-2023, 10:41 PM

---

Oh. This is back already.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-17-2023, 06:01 PM
I liked the quick decision making. Everyone played a part, and even Toddler Memory dude didn't feel like a complete ass pull.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-25-2023, 07:34 AM
S3E13

--------------------

I know they won't kill best-girl Kohaku, but it still hurts to see her get petrified.

David75
Wed, 10-25-2023, 10:25 AM
The Petrification-Depetrification process is a cure-all blessing.
So Kohaku should be even sharper than before.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-25-2023, 11:45 AM
It looks like it cures stuff, but she's not sick. It doesn't enhance, as far as we know.

David75
Wed, 10-25-2023, 01:11 PM
She's healthy, strong, fast, suple and perfect eyesight. But even 2% or 5% boost is good to take.

(Not useful for the story, but curing hidden/dormant conditions is another bonus.)

DarthEnderX
Wed, 10-25-2023, 02:57 PM
One thing that I DON'T like, is that being de-petrified a 2nd time seems get rid of all their cool crack markings. Like Ryusui fingers.

I mean, it makes sense. The cracks in their skin are where the cracks in their statues were. And when they get restored right away, they don't have any cracks in their statues. But it still makes them look less cool.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-16-2023, 12:52 PM
S3E17

-------------------

So the activation is the petrification radius and delay timer - in English! Medusa was created by the evil Americans :P

DarthEnderX
Thu, 11-16-2023, 01:29 PM
So the activation is the petrification radius and delay timer - in English! Medusa was created by the evil Americans :PEvil British. Americans wouldn't use meters. :p

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-16-2023, 02:14 PM
Evil British. Americans wouldn't use meters. :p

Oh yeah. That's true.

I would say that that'd make sense 100% if it weren't for the fact that the Japanese adore the British in general.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 11-16-2023, 03:18 PM
I mean, the person that created the device doesn't even have to be evil. We've seen the amazing medical applications it has. Maybe it just fell into the wrong hands.

At first I assumed that the device on the island was some small, portable version of the one that stoned the planet, but given the reveal of how it works, it's possible whoever had it was just like, "20,000km...10 seconds" and poof.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-23-2023, 11:30 AM
S3E18

--------------

So Hyoga converts to science (or at least accumulated effort), and Senku got a feel for the beam's speed by using others' armlengths and ?set up trap such that after he gets petrified, some nitric acid would drip on him to undo him again (is my guess).

The old man speaking under water felt out of place amongst all the other liberties this series takes.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 11-23-2023, 10:22 PM
The old man speaking under water felt out of place amongst all the other liberties this series takes.
I assume that's why he put it inside his mouth.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-24-2023, 05:10 AM
But that still doesn't allow him to speak, since you can't speak with your mouth closed (normally anyway).

What we've figured out is:
-you don't have to touch it (Ibara triggered it as he dived off the ship)
-you can't trigger it by yelling through a loudspeaker (though certainly Ibara thought you could - hence he freaked out)
-you can't trigger it just with intent (or else Ibara need not put it in his mouth)

David75
Fri, 11-24-2023, 09:12 AM
The input is distance and time.
I'm wondering why time. After all distance is all you need and the device does its job for the set distance.
A delay would be nice tough.
Like 5km, 4 hours.
Just hide it at night and safely escape the island.

So to me it feels like distance/time is the expansion speed. In our case Ibara set 2000m 15 minutes, so 8km/h or roughly 5mph
Which is easy to escape at a slow running pace. I guess Senku had confirmation with the others lining up at fixed intervals.

But the most important thing happening is suika getting petrified. That means she won't need glasses anymore and become the most beautiful loli ever once depetrified. I guess Moz will side the science kingdom when that happens....

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-24-2023, 11:53 AM
The input is distance and time.
I'm wondering why time. After all distance is all you need and the device does its job for the set distance.

The input is the delay.

Size of circle, activate after specific period of time.

The propagation speed remains unchanged. The 15mins thing shown in this episode is Ibara delaying activation by 15 minutes.

But the most important thing happening is suika getting petrified. That means she won't need glasses anymore and become the most beautiful loli ever once depetrified.

That had not occured to me.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 11-30-2023, 01:48 PM

---

I don't understand why the speaker counted the second time but not the first time.

David75
Thu, 11-30-2023, 03:26 PM
It was a lot closer?
I think Senku said that

DarthEnderX
Thu, 11-30-2023, 07:48 PM
It was a lot closer?
I think Senku said thatOh I see. When he said that the first time, I thought he meant cause he tried to do it remotely.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-01-2023, 12:00 PM
Fuck man, Ibara is like that boss that has multiple phases.

Ryusei's been pulling his weight since revival. He thinks on a similar wavelength to Senku and has his skillpoints shifted from chemistry to navigation and its related physics. The modern knowledge means they hatch plans together instead of just Senku leading. Chrome was able to keep up a little previously with his recognition of minerals but we're a little beyond that now.