PDA

View Full Version : One Piece

Pages : [1] 2

DarthEnderX
Sun, 06-30-2019, 01:45 AM
So even though we have a subforum for One Piece, only, like, 3 users ever bother to use it.

So since making a Fairy Tail thread in the main forum seems to have worked out pretty well, I thought I'd do the same for One Piece. And decided now is a good time since it's the beginning of a new arc, and one the series has been building up to for awhile now, the Wano Kingdom.

---

Okay, the animation for the waters leading into Wano that are made to look like old Japanese art was freaking gorgeous in this episode.

Also, did Nami use Soru there for a second? It was during a gag moment, but it was even accompanied by Soru's usual sound effect.

Assertn
Sun, 06-30-2019, 02:01 PM
So even though we have a subforum for One Piece, only, like, 3 users ever bother to use it.

So since making a Fairy Tail thread in the main forum seems to have worked out pretty well, I thought I'd do the same for One Piece. And decided now is a good time since it's the beginning of a new arc, and one the series has been building up to for awhile now, the Wano Kingdom.

---

Okay, the animation for the waters leading into Wano that are made to look like old Japanese art was freaking gorgeous in this episode.

Also, did Nami use Soru there for a second? It was during a gag moment, but it was even accompanied by Soru's usual sound effect.

Nami awakens soru due to Luffy shenanigans. I could see it.

neflight86
Sun, 07-07-2019, 10:31 AM

One Piece finally went full-on weeb. I like the new aesthetic. Like a water paining. I wonder if that refplects how Oda drew this arc or something. Also, the pacing and content were very good. How long can Toei keep it up? I do like the not-japan theme a bit better than the not-candyland we've been in for the last year.

Assertn
Mon, 07-08-2019, 12:34 PM
FYI, the last episode that had Zoro was on Feb 12, 2017. Man, I missed that guy.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 07-09-2019, 01:53 AM
Yeah, dividing the crew for two arcs was interesting at first, but it lasted way too long.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 07-14-2019, 12:49 PM

---

Hot damn, new OP AND new commercial bumpers. After all this time.

So freaking great to have Zoro back.

Little concerned though that we might have AGAIN, just done the thing again where we sent half the crew off on a separate adventure and we had to come up with an excuse to pass Luffy between the two groups so he remains in focus.

I was really looking forward to the crew getting back together in this arc, but we've split off AGAIN, and worse, spit off into the SAME two sets of people. So we aren't even getting any fresh character interactions.

neflight86
Mon, 07-15-2019, 07:04 AM
I hope they still meet up soon. I don't expect Luffy to take on Kaido's crew and Wano with a less than full force - that's what happened in Whole Cake Island leading to a retreat.

Assertn
Tue, 07-16-2019, 03:14 AM
Man, these episodes have all been so well animated, and barely anything has even happened yet. Hopefully the trend continues for the rest of the arc.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 07-16-2019, 12:44 PM
It's almost as if Japan is going all out for the Japan arc...

Assertn
Tue, 07-16-2019, 12:52 PM
Gotta sell it to the weebs!

Assertn
Sat, 07-20-2019, 10:20 PM
Barf, preview for next week looks to be an awkwardly shoehorned filler mini-arc.

Prof. Chaos
Mon, 07-22-2019, 04:27 PM
Honestly, I was surprised they didnt try to shoehorn in a small filler or two before Wano. The manga just got to Wano in July 2018.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 07-30-2019, 03:25 PM
Seriously, WHY wouldn't you put them just a few episodes earlier at the arc break? Why would you start a brand new arc, then add in fillers a couple episodes later?!

It's not even like the filler takes place during the arc, it's a completely unrelated side-story!

neflight86
Sun, 08-11-2019, 06:37 PM

After the unfortunate filler arc, it picks back up right where it left off, and the superior animation persists. This might be a new golden age/arc for the One Piece anime.

I feel like Basil is going to be an ally, because of how mysterious I remember him being at Shabody.

Assertn
Wed, 08-21-2019, 01:23 AM
Damnit Luffy, just give Zoro the sword. Ahh so frustrating. FYI, if you recall from way back in Logue town, the cursed sword Zoro gets from the shopkeep was Sandai Kotetsu, the weakest of the 3 cursed Kotetsu swords. And finally, 800 episodes later, the one Luffy has now is Nidai Kotetsu, the 2nd strongest.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-25-2019, 02:35 PM
Damnit Luffy, just give Zoro the sword. Ahh so frustrating.RIGHT?!

FYI, if you recall from way back in Logue town, the cursed sword Zoro gets from the shopkeep was Sandai Kotetsu, the weakest of the 3 cursed Kotetsu swords. And finally, 800 episodes later, the one Luffy has now is Nidai Kotetsu, the 2nd strongest.I'm curious which of his 3 swords he's going to end up losing in this arc so that he starts using that one.

Or if he's just going to start carrying around more than 3 swords now.

My current theory is that Zoro will end up returning Shusui to Wano because it's such a treasure to them.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-22-2019, 01:23 PM

---

I am a little bit curious as to how this lion guy and this lion are sharing a body. Tama needs to toss an orb into that lion's mouth.

Luffy knowing all about sumo was a bit surprising. I love his "Always beats Usopp" in his status box.

Assertn
Sun, 11-10-2019, 02:33 AM

---

I am a little bit curious as to how this lion guy and this lion are sharing a body. Tama needs to toss an orb into that lion's mouth.

Luffy knowing all about sumo was a bit surprising. I love his "Always beats Usopp" in his status box.

Welp, you called it on the dango taming a smile fruit user

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-10-2019, 12:56 PM
That Romance Dawn special was fun. Nice to see One Piece's rough draft animated.

neflight86
Sun, 11-17-2019, 03:54 PM

...you can't just name drop like that and not elaborate on Roger's and Whitebeard's interactions with Oden...

I'm betting the actual setup gets revealed/fleshed out as part of the battle with Kaido (assuming it ever starts).

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-22-2019, 02:00 AM

---

Well that was one-sided. Luffy spends two episodes beating the shit out of Kaido, only for Kaido to no-sell it, and then get one-shotted.

Clearly, Luffy is going to need a pretty huge power up before this arc is over.

I'm not even sure what the rebels PLAN is with Kaido. No matter what else their rebellion does, if they can't stop Kaido, they can't win.

And short of knocking him in the water, I'm not sure how you can stop him.

Although, they DID just reveal that this is also the land of Kairoseki...so maybe that's their plan.

Assertn
Sun, 12-22-2019, 10:20 PM
I was just thinking, is Kaido actually a devil-fruit user? Momonosuke ate the dragon fruit, and I wouldn't think there's two of them. I get that maybe it's a SMILE fruit, but SMILE users tend to have weird hybrid forms, like Spandem. Obviously Kaido wasn't a dragon that ate the human fruit, as that's Chopper's, but maybe it's just a thing in the One Piece world where some mythical race of dragons exist that can take on a human form? Kaido has already demonstrated that not even he can kill himself, so I'm inclined to think he wasn't ever a normal human to begin with.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 12-23-2019, 01:53 PM
I was just thinking, is Kaido actually a devil-fruit user? Momonosuke ate the dragon fruit, and I wouldn't think there's two of them. I get that maybe it's a SMILE fruit, but SMILE users tend to have weird hybrid forms, like Spandem.I'm pretty sure they already said that Momonosuke's fruit is a SMILE fruit.

Kaido has already demonstrated that not even he can kill himself, so I'm inclined to think he wasn't ever a normal human to begin with.As we've already seen with Marco, when you have a mythical zoan, you gain all the powers of that creature(flames, regeneration, flight, etc).

I assume Kaido's fruit isn't just "dragon", but like, "immortal sky dragon.

neflight86
Wed, 12-25-2019, 08:52 AM
They could say there are multiple types of dragons, and he just got an s-rank one, like how Rob Lucci had a high tier cat zoan fruit.

My hope now is that somehow Big Mom shows up (followed after the straw hats) and creats the necessary chaos for this to even be a battle. She called ahead and RSVP'd like a proper guest. Aside from Kaido, there aren't any factors in Wano the Straw hats (as a group) can't deal with, now that they are time skip cranked, so throwing another yonkai at him is the obvious 'solution'.

How long are they gonna drag out how no one died in the dragon blast reveal, I wonder?

DarthEnderX
Wed, 12-25-2019, 02:10 PM
Didn't they already say Big Mom was mobilizing to go there?

I'm hoping for a huge 3-way battle between Kaido, Big Mom and the Strawhat Alliance, that ultimately ends with Law and Kid as the new Emperors.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 01-13-2020, 04:29 PM

---

Well that was a fun intermission.

Nice to see Blackbeard finally has a proper beard.

neflight86
Mon, 01-13-2020, 07:06 PM
Teach is actually a pretty good hype man, all things considered...

I don't remember Moria being that compassionate to his crew; even lieutenants, but it was still a cute little "Well if that's all it is, we're good!"

Absolam confirmed (non flashback) kill number 3 in One Piece?

Tease on, Oda... I can wait you out...

DarthEnderX
Tue, 01-14-2020, 02:50 AM
Absolam confirmed (non flashback) kill number 3 in One Piece?3rd one I know of.

Assertn
Sat, 01-18-2020, 01:27 PM
I count 4. Ace, Whitebeard, Pedro, and Absolam.

neflight86
Sun, 01-19-2020, 10:49 PM
Are we sure Pedro is dead?

Looks like this prison will be the muscle "training" Luffy needs to actually put a dent in Kaido in round 2, if Kidd is getting to eat that much more than him.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-26-2020, 01:29 PM

---

Yeah, I dunno how they're lifting those bricks. The cuffs don't just negate their powers, it also saps their strength.

Real talk, these prison guards are WAY too lenient.

Like, they don't HAVE to give them that much food! They make up the rules!

And why the hell would they need "proof" to punish the prisoners?!

These guards are ridiculously non-corrupt for the circumstances.

Are we sure Pedro is dead?As sure as we were about Pell. So...*shrug*

Looks like this prison will be the muscle "training" Luffy needs to actually put a dent in Kaido in round 2, if Kidd is getting to eat that much more than him.Yeah, we're definitely going to get a Rock Lee weights moment when those cuffs come off.

Assertn
Wed, 01-29-2020, 02:11 AM
Oh just thought of another one: Lola's Dad

DarthEnderX
Sun, 02-09-2020, 03:38 PM

---

I can't tell how villainous this chick is supposed to be. On the one hand, she's being shitty. But on the other hand, the people she's being shitty to are also pretty shitty. But someone who says "I hate poor people" is probably not a goodguy.

Was Caribou's little story arc there one of the cover stories from the manga? Seems like the kind of thing that would have been.

neflight86
Sun, 02-09-2020, 04:26 PM
Caribou should have had his own series, from how chock full of adventure that flash-scene was.

Looks like Wano is steeped in even more 'gilded evil' than most of the kingdoms the straw hats venture to if even the local villains are plotting against each other's machinations. I was worried Oda might have the desire to make Wano a more symathetic Japan surrogate due to him being a native, but he isn't pulling punches so far (Kaido isn't the only one behind these problems; corrupt people themselves are bringing suffering upon others).

DarthEnderX
Sun, 02-09-2020, 11:36 PM
I looked it up, it was one of the cover stories in the manga.

I wish those at least got an episode like that first Buggy one did, instead of being handwaved the next time the character shows up. The anime is so desperate to stall for time, it makes NO sense to skip them.

Assertn
Mon, 02-10-2020, 02:13 AM
I looked it up, it was one of the cover stories in the manga.

I wish those at least got an episode like that first Buggy one did, instead of being handwaved the next time the character shows up. The anime is so desperate to stall for time, it makes NO sense to skip them.
Yeah, you'd think so. The pacing of the cover page stories might be a little jarring, though, since it's just a bunch of one-off frames. They also tend to be a bit on the goofier side, if that's even possible. I'm actually surprised they even recapped it at all this episode, since they never bothered to with any of the other cover page stories (like Wapol becoming a king again, Hatchan escaping from the marines, etc).

neflight86
Sun, 02-23-2020, 03:05 PM

My hype is through the roof. My favorite dysfunctional family returns!

I thought the master builder would play a bigger role, for some reason... poor Franky.

The laughter village was sweet on the verge of insidious.

Story pacing with multiple characters hasn't been this good since... Water 7?

DarthEnderX
Thu, 02-27-2020, 02:07 AM
Always liked Mother's Basement's anime videos, so I'm pretty happy he's getting into One Piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHGO9JyTLYE

Assertn
Mon, 03-16-2020, 02:20 AM
Oh damn... episode cliffhanger is hype!

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-16-2020, 03:17 AM

---

Didn't take him long to give up denying his family's power.

neflight86
Wed, 03-18-2020, 07:00 AM
He denies their bonds, but no reason to ignore a free powerup.

Linlin's adventures in Wano finally begin!

DarthEnderX
Wed, 03-18-2020, 08:39 AM
Linlin's adventures in Wano finally begin!If she wasn't so goddamn important I'd say it feels like Cover Story material. :p

DarthEnderX
Sat, 03-21-2020, 09:43 PM

---

Hell yeah! Sanji got his invisibility power after all!

He better NOT redesign that suit though! It looks rad!

neflight86
Sun, 03-22-2020, 10:50 AM
Page 1 unexpectedly tough. Was he a headliner?

One of my favorite shounen tropes, the full panel introduction of an enemy force (shogun's ninjas) was, as always, a delight to behold. Hope Robin has been sharpening her tongue better than her espionage skills during the time skip, if she gets a chance to talk her way out.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-22-2020, 12:39 PM
With Sanji doing the secret identity thing(which I still don't fully get), I hope Sogeking makes an appearance in this arc.

Assertn
Mon, 03-23-2020, 02:07 AM
Law being a comic book nerd is great, though how did stealth black end up as a fictional character? Sanji got disowned as a kid. When would there have been anyone touting the #3 battle suit, let alone why would the suit even have existed back then? Did Judge make an invisible suit to represent the son that disappeared? Or did the comic writer make up the #3 character to fill the gap in the lineup, and Judge liked the idea and copied it for Sanji? I mean there's so much to assume to reach a point where the family preemptively went through the hassle to make a custom raid suit for the son they were, just days prior, so ready to sacrifice to Big Mom. I suppose we're not supposed to think about that too much, eh?

With Sanji doing the secret identity thing(which I still don't fully get), I hope Sogeking makes an appearance in this arc.

The idea is that X-Drake (and maybe Hawkins?) are on their way, and since they are both members of the worst generation, they would likely know who Sanji is. Truthfully, Luffy, Law, and Zoro have all been identified already, so I'm not sure why it would be a shock for them to find Sanji, but I think they're still banking on the enemy thinking it's some random encounter and not part of an elaborate coup.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-23-2020, 02:53 PM
Or did the comic writer make up the #3 character to fill the gap in the lineup, and Judge liked the idea and copied it for Sanji?I think it's this one. They have a team of sentai villains that goes 0, 1, 2, 4. It makes sense that there would be a 3. And that he would be one of the missing colors(either Black or Yellow).

It's just serendipity that they went with the color that's already associated with Sanji, and the power that he always wanted.

The idea is that X-Drake (and maybe Hawkins?) are on their way, and since they are both members of the worst generation, they would likely know who Sanji is.I would buy that...if Sanji didn't have a wanted poster. And is in no way disguising his face as the soba cook. Literally ANYONE should be able to see Sanji and know who he is. That's the entire POINT of a wanted poster.

Now, I could buy that maybe this particular guy doesn't pay attention to wanted posters, but anyone in Kaido's organization might, so not having an ACTUAL disguise is...I just don't get it.

At least Usopp wears a fake beard.

And that's ignoring the fact that all of them have their real names IN their fake names! Again, the names that are on their wanted posters!

Assertn
Mon, 03-23-2020, 03:04 PM
Now, I could buy that maybe this particular guy doesn't pay attention to wanted posters, but anyone in Kaido's organization might, so not having an ACTUAL disguise is...I just don't get it.

At least Usopp wears a fake beard.

And that's ignoring the fact that all of them have their real names IN their fake names! Again, the names that are on their wanted posters!

Sanji's hair was feudal-japanified, I guess? They all have slight modifications to their appearance. It's basically the equivalent of Superman wearing glasses.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 03-24-2020, 03:19 AM
It's basically the equivalent of Superman wearing glasses.Well...yeah. But pretty much everyone in the world agrees that that's dumb and wouldn't work at all.

If that's Oda's goal then...good job I guess?

DarthEnderX
Sat, 03-28-2020, 10:45 PM

---

Well, THAT certainly changes things.

Assertn
Sun, 03-29-2020, 10:15 AM
Leave it to Oda to hit ya with that curve ball.

Chopper recognizing Big Mom made me think for a sec to as to whether Chopper was part of the Whole Cake Island arc or the Doflamingo fight arc. Turns out he was at Whole Cake Island and did see Big Mom firsthand. Was he really so inconsequential that whole time?

neflight86
Sun, 03-29-2020, 10:56 AM
Top shelf cliffhanger!

I guess Robin was catching up on Shippuden during the whole cake island arc...

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-29-2020, 03:19 PM
So...taking bets. What do you think the odds are Big Mom makes a face turn? Like she befriends the Strawhats while her memory is gone and it sticks even after she gets it's back.

Or does she go right back to being awful when her memory comes back at a climactic moment during the upcoming war?

DarthEnderX
Sat, 05-02-2020, 10:10 PM
Has Covid actually caused One Piece to go on hiatus? The next episode doesn't even appear to be on the schedule.

neflight86
Sun, 05-03-2020, 11:53 AM
I think so. I heard they basically restarted airing the Wano arc saga until further notice.

Assertn
Mon, 05-11-2020, 02:40 PM
well, considering how slow the manga is going lately this is probably for the best

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-11-2020, 05:04 PM
Consider how shitty the pace has been with the anime for years, it's something they should have done years ago.

Assertn
Thu, 05-14-2020, 06:37 PM
Consider how shitty the pace has been with the anime for years, it's something they should have done years ago.

Manga's been frustrating, too. It's pretty rare to get more than 2 consecutive weeks of chapters before a break.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-14-2020, 08:13 PM
Manga's been frustrating, too. It's pretty rare to get more than 2 consecutive weeks of chapters before a break.Is that a Covid thing? Or has it been going on for awhile?

Assertn
Sat, 05-16-2020, 11:46 PM
Is that a Covid thing? Or has it been going on for awhile?

Oh it's been a thing for a long ass time. But it might be a little worse now.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 07-12-2020, 03:04 AM
So, I got bored and decided to catch up on the last few One Piece movies that I had skipped.

Most of them were the usual garbage Shonen Jump movies.

The most recent one though, Stampede was rad as shit!

Instead of wasting a bunch of time on a stupid plot nobody cares about anyway, it's spends all of maybe 10 minutes setting up the story, and then spends the next hour and a half on just endless kickass fight scenes with every cool character in the series you can imagine! Like for reals, maybe 50 of them!

And even that 10 minute plot...kinda interesting.

Assertn
Sun, 07-12-2020, 04:40 PM
Well I found out apparently 3 more episodes came out since last I watched, so that's nice. If it feels like you missed some plot details, though, don't worry, it's not because the show was on hiatus for so long, it's because it actually was like that in the manga, too.

-----
That being Law's friends getting captured, Kaido somehow knowing about the tattoos, Zoro's sword randomly stolen, and Kidd escaping the prison.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 07-13-2020, 02:11 AM
Pretty sure Kidd escaping happened before the hiatus.

---

But yeah, letting Luffy out of the cuffs was really dumb. Like, do none of them know who he is?

"If we give this guy being called the 5th Emperor his powers back, we'll totally be able to kill him with some jobbers with swords."

DarthEnderX
Thu, 07-16-2020, 03:41 AM
Can I just reiterate how frustrating it is that Jinbe was invited to the crew SIX ARCS ago and STILL isn't with the crew yet!

Now we're stuck in the middle of the Japan arc and the Strawhat that ALWAYS dresses like he's Japanese isn't even there! What the actual fuck!

neflight86
Sat, 07-18-2020, 09:17 AM
Looks like Toei forgot to send me a message when they began airing new episodes again, those sillies!

I'll take Queen letting Luffy out of the cuffs if it saves a two episode long mini arc of Raizo getting him the key. hope Luffy's new technique or w/e is flashy...

Was the Kappa character mentioned before?

Sanji in the bathhouse; we must be nearing the end because it looks like one straw hat has gotten their dream. All Blue can't compare to full view... Sanji is in an odd spot right now where I can't place his power with the new suit because he can't seem finish a fight right now. Is he stronger than supernovas or not?

I wonder if Hou will get buff again after some proper nourishment, or if his place is now charismatic figure head.

When did this guy steal Zoro's sword again?

Assertn
Sat, 07-18-2020, 10:44 AM
Sanji in the bathhouse; we must be nearing the end because it looks like one straw hat has gotten their dream. All Blue can't compare to full view... Sanji is in an odd spot right now where I can't place his power with the new suit because he can't seem finish a fight right now. Is he stronger than supernovas or not?
All Nami > All Blue. Sanji has usually been comparable to Zoro, even though he never got any credit. If Zoro was a supernova pre-timeskip, then Sanji definitely has to be close to that.

Was the Kappa character mentioned before?
I think it's been mentioned by now that he's one of the 9 red scabbards that Kinemon's been looking for.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 07-18-2020, 03:02 PM
Sanji in the bathhouse; we must be nearing the end because it looks like one straw hat has gotten their dream. All Blue can't compare to full view... Sanji is in an odd spot right now where I can't place his power with the new suit because he can't seem finish a fight right now. Is he stronger than supernovas or not?He was probably stronger than some of the Supernovas before. Sanji never gets the same recognition as Luffy or Zoro because he keeps himself much more low-key than they do.

Or at least, he did before the Whole Cake thing...

I really want to see a Soba Mask/Sogeking team-up.

neflight86
Mon, 07-20-2020, 09:13 AM
Calling it now; when Zoro needs a quick power up in the future sometime, he's just gonna open that other eye and reveal it's been closed as part of his training.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 07-20-2020, 09:58 AM
Is that a...thing? Does closing one eye work the same as wearing weights or fighting with your offhand?

"I trained myself to see one-eyed, so now when I open this eye, I see TWICE as good!" And would that even help? He's a swordfighter, not a sniper. :p

Assertn
Mon, 07-20-2020, 11:12 PM
Is that a...thing? Does closing one eye work the same as wearing weights or fighting with your offhand?

"I trained myself to see one-eyed, so now when I open this eye, I see TWICE as good!" And would that even help? He's a swordfighter, not a sniper. :p

Maybe he's storing up observation haki into that eye :^)

neflight86
Tue, 07-21-2020, 06:13 AM
Depth perception, yo. That plus it would make a cool reveal while also suggesting none of his post time skip opponents had even seen/been worthy of his 'final form'. Has he even actually struggled with any of his fights since the New Line? Does Hoardy count?

DarthEnderX
Tue, 07-21-2020, 08:16 AM
Who was his main enemy in Dressrosa? Pica? I don't remember if that was a challenge for him or not.

neflight86
Tue, 07-21-2020, 12:24 PM
I recall all of Zoro's fights being more or less time-wasters or annoying more than actually dangerous to Zoro. Even Pica never got off a single good attack on him.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 07-21-2020, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure Zoro has had a GOOD fight since Mr. 1.

The Kaku fight started out good, but then turned into a comedy bit once Sogeking got involved.

Edit: Oh, the other thing I learned watching that last movie is that the One Piece island is apparently called Laugh Tale, not Raftel. As it's name is shown written out on something.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 07-27-2020, 10:35 AM
Not really related to the current episodes or anything, but I have a working theory that I kinda want to put down here in case it ends up being true.

So one of Kaido's deals is that he is supposedly immortal. But we don't quite know why yet. It's probably not because of his devil fruit, because that's a zoan-type. So unless his specific dragon is, like, "immortal dragon" or something, then it's something else.

On the other side of this, you have Law's Devil Fruit, the Ope Ope no Mi. Which, allows the user to take things apart and swap them around at will within a certain area. But it was stated in the Dressrosa arc that one of the things the fruit can do is make someone immortal. But it was never really explained HOW. How do you make someone immortal just by moving things around.

Now, to be fair, the Ope Ope no Mi has some pretty abstract applications of "moving things around". Like being able to swap two people's minds. So it could be something as equally abstract as "removing their mortality". Either way, doing so supposedly kills the user.

So my theory, is that Kaido is immortal because a previous Ope Ope no Mi user made him immortal. In which case, I wonder if, as the current user, Law has the ability to make Kaido mortal again by reversing the process. Which would seem pivotal for the conclusion of this arc.

That's all. If this all turns out to be true than I'll feel smug about having figured it out.

neflight86
Mon, 07-27-2020, 06:03 PM
And smug you should feel if so, because that makes a lot of sense... I totally forgot about that benefit of the op-op fruit. If I recall, that requires the user to trade their life, correct?

Oh, and Sanji's admission fee buildup: 10/10; would peek again.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 07-28-2020, 12:30 PM
And smug you should feel if so, because that makes a lot of sense... I totally forgot about that benefit of the op-op fruit. If I recall, that requires the user to trade their life, correct?That particular operation does, yes. Though I can't figure out why it would based on what we know.

If you're putting some one else's life inside the patient, that shouldn't make them immortal, just extend their lifespan. And why would it have to take the user's life? Why couldn't it be from anyone in the Room?

DarthEnderX
Sat, 08-01-2020, 10:21 PM

---

So that uh...that new OP's got some stuff in it.

Are we not supposed to know that the woman with Zoro is Komurosaki? The show seems to be treating it like it's a reveal.

Meanwhile, Luffy trying to Kamehameha. But doesn't Zoro already know how to do that?

Assertn
Sun, 08-02-2020, 01:00 AM

---

So that uh...that new OP's got some stuff in it.

Are we not supposed to know that the woman with Zoro is Komurosaki? The show seems to be treating it like it's a reveal.
At the end she reveals herself as Hiroyi, not Komurosaki, though.

Meanwhile, Luffy trying to Kamehameha. But doesn't Zoro already know how to do that?

Eh, you mean with the sword projectiles? Well, technically Usopp developed a form of observation haki before any other strawhats back in Dressrosa, and Sanji is still the only strawhat that can geppo. Each the strawhats have been dipping into different skill trees.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-02-2020, 01:34 AM
Oh, also neat reveal that Shisui is black because it's got permanent Armor Haki.

At the end she reveals herself as Hiroyi, not Komurosaki, though.I also figured THAT out awhile ago too because the first time they talked about Momonosuke having a sister they smash cut to Komurosaki right after.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-23-2020, 02:23 AM

---

Pretty ballsy of Oda to just now start introducing Hadokens/Rasengans 900+ episodes in.

Kind of annoyed that this is still considered Color of Armaments Haki though. It's completely different in form, philosophy and effect. Why didn't he just make it a different Haki type?

Also, blue-haired yakuza guy. Since Komurosaki isn't dead, it's not really supposed to be a secret that that guy is actually a goodguy, right?

Is Kaido's castle a giant Oars skull? It has the exact same horn shape.

So does Kaido in fact. Is Kaido some kinda half-Oars?

Assertn
Sun, 08-23-2020, 10:26 PM
Is Kaido's castle a giant Oars skull? It has the exact same horn shape.

So does Kaido in fact. Is Kaido some kinda half-Oars?

Like an Oars in an Oars? That would be something...
Well, Moria did have a run-in with Kaido in the past, and he was surprised to find Oars Jr. among Whitebeard's crew. It seemed to me like he was surprised that the lineage still lived on. I'd go with the horns just being part of him being a dragon and all. Also, the entire crew is pretty much horn-themed.

The Color of Armaments haki having the ability to shockwave into enemies is nothing new. Sentomaru did demonstrate that back before the timeskip, really. Though at this point, I wonder what other upgrades Luffy can get after this.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 08-24-2020, 12:21 AM
I'd go with the horns just being part of him being a dragon and all.I mean, unless he's just hanging out in his half-beast form, he shouldn't have horns at all. As when you're in you're original form, you normally have no zoan-like features.

The Color of Armaments haki having the ability to shockwave into enemies is nothing new. Sentomaru did demonstrate that back before the timeskip, really.Yes, but it ALWAYS should have been a separate Color. It just feels like patchwork writing that it's not.

Though at this point, I wonder what other upgrades Luffy can get after this.Well we know that you can "awaken" Devil Fruits for new powers, and he hasn't done that yet.

Assertn
Mon, 08-24-2020, 01:27 AM
I mean, unless he's just hanging out in his half-beast form, he shouldn't have horns at all. As when you're in you're original form, you normally have no zoan-like features.
Perhaps, but some characters seem to default to a hybrid form. King seems to usually be in hybrid, too, considering he always has his wings even as a human. Hell, even Chopper is in hybrid form like 90% of the time.

Well we know that you can "awaken" Devil Fruits for new powers, and he hasn't done that yet.

This is true

DarthEnderX
Mon, 08-24-2020, 01:52 AM
King seems to usually be in hybrid, too, considering he always has his wings even as a human.I thought he was some kind of Sky Islander. His wings are feathered, not Pterodactyle wings. Or he's a tengu. If Wano has Kappa, it probably has tengu too.

Hell, even Chopper is in hybrid form like 90% of the time.I guess. But if Kaido was in hybrid form, I would think he would have more than just horns.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 09-12-2020, 10:26 PM

---

His real name musta been Shimotsuki D. Yasuie, cause he died smiling!

Glad they finally explained something about them fruits. So there's a 90% chance of you getting fucked. Glad that's the case, that there's a very real drawback to the artificial fruit. I really don't like that it's even possible in the first place.

Assertn
Sun, 09-13-2020, 10:53 AM
I'm glad we're done with the two half-episodes of cry-laughing so we can move on with the damn plot!

neflight86
Sun, 09-13-2020, 03:12 PM

The laughter village was sweet on the verge of insidious.

I feel validated in my unease, but this episode still dragged a tear out of me- makes me wonder if One Piece, despite all its problems, has been airing for twenty years for a reason...

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-13-2020, 05:36 PM
Also nice to know Kaido's forces have a bunch of giggling shitheads in it. :p

Assertn
Mon, 09-14-2020, 07:13 AM
Also nice to know Kaido's forces have a bunch of giggling shitheads in it. :p

Yeah, imagine leading a crew of beast pirates, except 90% of them are just cackling hyenas.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-21-2020, 02:13 PM
Damn, why haven't I seen these till now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO5H_5HgDhk

DarthEnderX
Sun, 10-04-2020, 06:01 PM

---

Oh sheeeeeit. Killer got a raw deal. I guess we already know which 1st Mate Supernova is stronger.

I hope Chopper can, like, come up with a cure for that at the end of this arc.

So...how long has Sanji been able to use Armament Haki? This is the first time I noticed him using it, but, since his legs are normally covered, I guess he could have been using it for awhile and I wouldn't be able to tell.

Back when he was fighting Vergo, I remember his leg bones fracturing trying to kick through Vergo's Armament Haki, so I'm guessing at the very least he didn't have it yet during Punk Hazard.

neflight86
Sun, 10-11-2020, 12:24 PM
During PunkHazard, he mentioned observation haki while looking for something underwater, so he must have been familiar with armament at the time.

I really like what the character Big Mom does for One Piece; she's a great chaotic neutral/evil force that can influence the story in a way typically Luffy only gets to. I also can't believe her appeal to get the bean soup to the poor town that was kind to her got me misty- the woman who killed her own son about 100 eps ago looked very sympathetic (her dissapointed face didn't hurt, either).

I look forward to this new Haki upgrade because I like the sakura blossom effect. I hope there are more permutations of Haki like this.

Assertn
Sun, 10-11-2020, 01:10 PM
Fun fact, Ryuo, the samurai version of Haki, translates to "flowing sakura." Really loved the flowing sakura animation of Luffy's arms at the end there.

Would be interesting to see more permutations, but the ranged haki attacks were just another one of those things Oda teased long ago. The only remaining spike I'm still waiting for are the awakened fruit powers.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 10-11-2020, 06:11 PM
During PunkHazard, he mentioned observation haki while looking for something underwater, so he must have been familiar with armament at the time.Knowing one doesn't automatically mean knowing the other though. Usopp has Observation Haki but no Armament Haki.

Fun fact, Ryuo, the samurai version of Haki, translates to "flowing sakura." Really loved the flowing sakura animation of Luffy's arms at the end there.

Would be interesting to see more permutations, but the ranged haki attacks were just another one of those things Oda teased long ago. The only remaining spike I'm still waiting for are the awakened fruit powers.I just wish it was it's own Haki type, and not just a different application of Armament.

Oda is bad at categorizing things. Like how there's only 3 devil fruit types. Elemental, animal and EVERY OTHER POWER IN EXISTENCE.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by Hunter X Hunter there.

neflight86
Tue, 10-20-2020, 07:11 PM
I'm most impressed that Queen got up after taking on Mom. I suppose she wasn't actually using her full evil strength, though...

Assertn
Sun, 01-10-2021, 10:14 AM

Holy shit this is like a movie-quality episode.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-10-2021, 02:35 PM
BIG NEWS! It seems like they're obviously trying to make it seem like Sabo died, but I think that's a fakeout. I think the news is that Sabo killed Kuma. He couldn't save him, so he put him out of his misery.

I'm kinda glad they went though all the Warlords and Former Warlords, cause some people I was watching with needed a refresher at this point.

Also, didn't mention it last week, but goddamn, fucking Enma. Nice replacement for Shisui.

I was a little disappointed that they didn't also give Zoro Kitetsu 2, because I hoped he'd eventually have all 3. I realize that would have given him 4 swords, but he could always swap them out for different situations. Enma doesn't seem like an everyday kind of sword. :p

I was watching Chopper watching Luffy try and master Ryou, and I'm kinda hoping that Chopper also picks it up. As he already has a bunch of sakura-themed attacks. I'm just imagining Kokutei Cross becoming a straight up Hadoken. :D

Assertn
Sun, 01-10-2021, 06:44 PM
BIG NEWS! It seems like they're obviously trying to make it seem like Sabo died, but I think that's a fakeout. I think the news is that Sabo killed Kuma. He couldn't save him, so he put him out of his misery.

I love Morgans for this episode. Dude is so passionate. The resistance seemed a bit concerned about Sabo, so not sure exactly. Maybe we'll get Battle of MarineFord 2 with Luffy and and his 6000 allies charging in. I wonder which detail Cipher Pol was trying to cover up, and which detail Wapol was leaking (didn't Wapol's intel come up *after* Morgans declared two front-page-worthy news headlines?)

Apparently this will somehow present an opportunity for Blackbeard, though. And XDrake and Coby are schemiing something too.

I was watching Chopper watching Luffy try and master Ryou, and I'm kinda hoping that Chopper also picks it up. As he already has a bunch of sakura-themed attacks. I'm just imagining Kokutei Cross becoming a straight up Hadoken. :D
Chopper has yet to learn any haki as far as I can tell. His post-timeskip has been lackluster.

Assertn
Sun, 01-10-2021, 09:01 PM
Welp rewatched the episode, a few details I noticed.

First of all Morgans mentioned that a murder definitely took place. It could be Kuma, but it likely involved Sabo somehow. Something bad definitely happened to Sabo, as Dadan and that bar chick were upset about it.

The announcement to abolish the schichibukai is not what Cipher Pol tried to cover up, so it mightve been the Sabo news.

Something bad must have happened to Alabasta very recently. I thought it might've been about the Crocodile arc, but Garp apparently got some new intel while escorting the fishmen back home.

Blackbeard found an opportunity to get something the Navy wants, apparently. I wonder if a schichibukai is in possession of it.

Still no idea what Wapol's intel could be.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 01-11-2021, 12:54 AM
Chopper has yet to learn any haki as far as I can tell. His post-timeskip has been lackluster.True, but it's maybe possible to learn Ryou without learning the others first. As Zoro may have been using it as far back as Alabasta.

Something bad definitely happened to Sabo, as Dadan and that bar chick were upset about it.They could just be upset that he's a murderer.

neflight86
Thu, 01-14-2021, 07:37 AM
Sabo is probably real-dead.

957 is just an embarrassingly high effort episode. It is essentially one of those mid-arc recap episodes, but the production really is a notch up from what we've been seeing, even in the Wano arc thus far. Very entertaining, and I love world building anyway, so this makes for a great transition.

"Big News" Morgan also has 'big fists' in those wings...

Are any of the Warlord positions empty as of this occurrence? We have Hawkeye, Boa, Weevil, Buggy, and anyone else? Is this a Navy or Pirate HR blunder?

DarthEnderX
Fri, 01-15-2021, 01:22 AM
Sabo is probably real-dead.That would be real fucking stupid.

Introduce important character.

Reveal they're already dead.

Reveal they didn't die after all, and are now SUPER important!

Kill them offscreen an arc later.

Are any of the Warlord positions empty as of this occurrence? We have Hawkeye, Boa, Weevil, Buggy, and anyone else?Those were the only 4 still active, as Law and Doflamingo hadn't been replaced yet, and Kuma still technically held his position.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 01-16-2021, 10:45 PM

---

Holy hell, lore dump!

Dunno if I like 3 of the Emperors being from the same crew. Kinda makes the world feel small.

New D. though!

Assertn
Sun, 01-17-2021, 02:36 PM

---

Holy hell, lore dump!

Dunno if I like 3 of the Emperors being from the same crew. Kinda makes the world feel small.

New D. though!

Well, we are currently in the New age of Pirates, ever since Gold Roger made his declaration of One Piece on the execution platform. Maybe there were a lot fewer pirate crews before then. So many other old-timers were linked to Roger's crew, too. Shanks, Buggy, Crocus, Raleigh, Oden...

neflight86
Tue, 01-19-2021, 10:14 AM
That is an interesting note (by Assertn), that piracy as a community exploded in size due to Roger's marketing of the One Piece... meaning an explosion of pirate activity since.

I thought for sure that Shiki the Golden Lion was just a filler character for movie 10. Good to see him made more official (He was also mentioned in Impel down). I hope we get to meet more of the big name pirates...

I wonder why the government did away with the Warlords when they needed all of them just to fight off one Emperor's crew, but now two are allied? I get that Fujitora hates the concept/system, but he doesn't have that much sway nor authority I didn't think.

Also, Garp is apparently strong enough to be a full on fleet admiral? He settled for two ranks below because the dragons are so slimy?

Rocks pirates captain; show me the body or he's probably still alive.

I'll gladly take a few more world building episodes like this until Wano Act 3 starts.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 01-19-2021, 03:53 PM
I thought for sure that Shiki the Golden Lion was just a filler character for movie 10.10 is one of those movies where Oda came up with the character designs and the general plot. So it makes sense he'd insert him into the lore.

I wonder why the government did away with the Warlords when they needed all of them just to fight off one Emperor's crew, but now two are allied? I get that Fujitora hates the concept/system, but he doesn't have that much sway nor authority I didn't think.I mean, they made it pretty clear. The various world rulers voted on it. When two of those stand up in front of the others and are like "Hey, yeah, so...these Warlords basically destroyed two of our countries." it makes sense that you might get enough of the other rulers to go "Whoa, that could be MY country. This system doesn't seem to be working."

And it REALLY doesn't. They've had, like, SEVEN Warlords betray the government in just the last two years. It's ridiculous.

That said, I DO feel like it's a little unfair to the Warlords that actually held up their end. I feel like a better compromise would have been "Okay, we're not going to appoint any NEW Warlords. But the 4 remaining ones can keep their title."

Assertn
Tue, 01-19-2021, 06:36 PM
I'm surprised the WG didn't just order the schichibukai to suicide-mission into Wano and be rid of them that way.

neflight86
Tue, 01-19-2021, 09:08 PM
I mean, they made it pretty clear. The various world rulers voted on it. When two of those stand up in front of the others and are like "Hey, yeah, so...these Warlords basically destroyed two of our countries." it makes sense that you might get enough of the other rulers to go "Whoa, that could be MY country. This system doesn't seem to be working."

And it REALLY doesn't. They've had, like, SEVEN Warlords betray the government in just the last two years. It's ridiculous.

My understanding is that it (the Warlord system) was the creation of the WG. I guess I don't see the world government as being especially receptive to its member's influence. I always looked at it as a big brother type "we offer you protection (the navy), so you do what we say" kind of arrangement of puppet masters more than an actual democratic body. It is apparently ruled over by a shadow council and is involved in all sorts of shady stuff, not the least of which being having a century of history wiped, and an island buster called for trying to recover it. I'm surprised a mere vote could change a system that has been in place to maintain the power balance like that.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 01-20-2021, 01:17 AM
My understanding is that it (the Warlord system) was the creation of the WG. I guess I don't see the world government as being especially receptive to its member's influence.I...think those rulers ARE the WG. The Marines are just the military. They're specifically NOT in charge(they answer to the Celestial Dragons and the Five Elders). The country leaders are the ones that set policy.

Obviously, the Celestial Dragons have even more authority, but they don't seem to care about actually running things. They just want all their desires met.

Assertn
Wed, 01-20-2021, 01:17 AM
While Tenryuubito definitely have overriding power over the kings, as evidenced by Charloss trying to take Shirahoshi, they are generally treated like spoiled babies otherwise, and don't seem to be involved in international decision-making. The kings themselves are portrayed as the primary governing body in regards to the "empty throne" that is meant to represent how no single person governs over them, but of course we know that there is someone in the shadows pulling the strings. I wouldn't be surprised if this was all going according to their plan, too.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 01-20-2021, 07:40 AM
Yeah, they supposedly have a lot of faith that the Science Unit is going to pick up the Warlord's slack. But we haven't seen anything from them since the introduction of the Pacifistas. Who are, as of this time at least, no longer a real threat to our main characters, or anyone on their power level.

neflight86
Wed, 01-20-2021, 08:27 AM
I totally didn't catch that Sentoru(sp?) and the pacifistas were that science unit. In that case, I suppose their promotion to primary peace keepers is the WG deciding that pirates, in all forms, are an outdated concept that should be put to rest, which is a sentiment the navy has had for quite a while.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 01-20-2021, 03:12 PM
I totally didn't catch that Sentoru(sp?) and the pacifistas were that science unit.I mean, I'm only assuming that's who Fujitora was referring too. That's the only "Science Unit" we've been introduced to.

neflight86
Sun, 02-14-2021, 11:32 AM
961-962

A great flashback so far, as there are/were many blanks to fill in about Wano's past, and how Odin came to be Shogun. I loved the scene where his vassals/samurai finally began to measure up to his own imposing figure. It felt great to see.

Any time Whitebeard is in One Piece, my SMILE fruit activates and I get hype.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 02-15-2021, 01:40 AM
Shit's great. I don't recognize two of Oden's subordinates though. Glasses guy and Kiku's older brother.

Assertn
Mon, 02-15-2021, 11:27 AM
Shit's great. I don't recognize two of Oden's subordinates though. Glasses guy and Kiku's older brother.

Glasses guy is the member that Kinemon has given up trying to find in the present day. Kiku's older brother has been shown in the present already, but as a minor character a while back. It'll make sense with more flashbacks.

Puppystorm and Kittyviper are kawaii AF.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 02-27-2021, 09:56 PM

---

Goddamn, Oden is like the most Luffy-ass character ever.

Interesting that Momonosuke's mom is seemingly from the Void Century.

Holy shit, kid Blackbeard looks like Usopp!

Assertn
Sun, 02-28-2021, 09:44 AM
Ahaha, I was just thinking that. Oden gives no fucks.

neflight86
Sun, 02-28-2021, 09:30 PM
...the similarities are striking, but I guess the nature of their goals, and base intelligence differ a bit.

Surprising that Monomosuke's mom wasn't a Wano native.

Whitebeard is great to watch. All of that power, and he isn't a megalomaniac. I'm really looking forward to how Blackbeard's story goes, which I hope we get to see.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 04-03-2021, 11:09 PM

---

Goddamn this has been a trip. Laugh Tale...

That said, they seem to be hinted that Luffy might be some kinda destined chosen one. And I don't like that, that shit kinda ruined Naruto.

I kinda got misty when the original ED theme kicked in...

Did Roger's VA change? He sounds completely different from how he sounded in the intros of the early episodes.

Edit: Yeah, the first guy died. Too bad, the new voice just doesn't have the same gravitas...

neflight86
Sun, 04-04-2021, 10:09 PM
One advantage that One Piece has over many shounen contemporaries is that it never forgets its roots in adventure. It maintains the spirit of adventure so unabashedly that the audience feels like it is also exploring this huge, weird world. It feels good and makes the lore so much more richer than petty small scale conflicts or isolated story beats.

Does the old crone with Orochi have the same devil fruit that Bon Clay did? The power seems very similar...

DarthEnderX
Mon, 04-05-2021, 02:20 AM
I still wanna know if Roger had a fruit. We haven't seen him use one, but he still might.

Does the old crone with Orochi have the same devil fruit that Bon Clay did? The power seems very similar...
Pretty sure it has the same name.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 04-09-2021, 02:54 PM
So looking back at this flashback, we have a good idea of some things for Luffy's path now.

Luffy already has the Zou and Big Mom Road Ponyglyphs. It's a pretty safe bet that, by the end of Wano, he's going to have the Wano glyph.

But we saw from the flashback that the last Ponyglyph was on Fishman Island, but Luffy was already there, and there was only one glyph there. So somebody took the Road Glyph. My bet is that Shanks has it.

They also revealed that there's a place where the Log Pose paths end. Lodestar, which is essentially the last island before Laugh Tale.

Luffy has already said that he intends to have a showdown with Shanks. I could see that happening at Lodestar. Maybe they have a Davey Back Fight, where the winner gets all the Road Ponyglyphs.

But before they get to Lodestar, there HAS to be an Elbaf arc. There just has to.

Assertn
Sun, 04-11-2021, 10:51 AM
But we saw from the flashback that the last Ponyglyph was on Fishman Island, but Luffy was already there, and there was only one glyph there. So somebody took the Road Glyph. My bet is that Shanks has it.

I'm trying to remember, where was the 4th when Roger was looking for them? Because I assume Big Mom wasn't in possession of hers at the time. It's entirely possible that Big Mom has the fishman one, considering that she "claimed" the island after Whitebeard died.

Edit: Ah, so, Big Mom's poneglyph is actually hinted at from Jinbe's cover story adventure (https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Solo_Journey_of_Jinbe,_Knight_of_the_Sea) that took place before he alliied with Big Mom. Which means the anime will probably never show this story.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 04-12-2021, 12:40 AM
I'm trying to remember, where was the 4th when Roger was looking for them? Because I assume Big Mom wasn't in possession of hers at the time.It was. He specifically said he already got took a copy from her.

Ep. 967 at 11:50

DarthEnderX
Sun, 04-25-2021, 12:42 PM

---

Jesus fucking christ, Oden DESERVES to die. I can't BELIEVE how fucking stupid he is.

"Yeah, I'm just gonna honor this ridiculous deal with this duplicitous piece of shit that lied to everyone in the country and murdered my father. I'm SURE he'll uphold his end."

Fuck, that's frustrating. I could understand if he just lost because Kaido was too strong. But to lose everything because of his own overwhelming stupidity is just frustrating...

Especially the fact that, he had him. Orochi was right there, in HIS town, in front of HIS retainers, when he told him "Yeah, I'm not keeping that promise" and Oden didn't kill him right then and there.

neflight86
Sun, 05-02-2021, 08:26 AM

At least he lost due to deception at the end anyway.

That face fruit user is really carrying team Orochi at this point.

Assertn
Sun, 05-02-2021, 12:18 PM

At least he lost due to deception at the end anyway.

That face fruit user is really carrying team Orochi at this point.

Not to mention the barrier guy that was the only reason Orochi didn't die on the spot. Now both of those devil fruits are possessed by allies of Luffy.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 05-02-2021, 01:51 PM
And this episode made me realize that Oden is supposed to be an Ishikawa Goemon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishikawa_Goemon) reference.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 05-29-2021, 10:57 PM

---

*phew* Flashback finally over.

So, now all of Oden's retainers are accounted for. Glasses guy is yakuza who was obvious goodguy, and also the real Robin Hood guy. And older brother ladyboy is still off being one of Whitebeard's captain.

Interesting that one of them is a secret badguy though. That should be interesting.

Assertn
Mon, 05-31-2021, 11:30 AM
Interesting deviation of pacing with this episode. The Denjiro reveal and spy scene are a little more out of left field in the manga, though they did a good job with the details here. Nice wrap-up to the longest flashback sequence ever.

Probably safe to rule out Inu, Neko, and Kawamatsu as possible spies, though, since I doubt their parents were likely theatrical performers living in Wano, heh. Also rules out Shinobu, which, at the time, was my suspicion of being the spy.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-31-2021, 02:20 PM
I'm glad he made it clear it was one of the people on the execution platform. So that it rules out being some incidental side character.

The setup though also makes it hard to be mad at whoever it is when they reveal them though, because it establishes that they are an utterly broken person.

So instead of being all "How dare you betray them soandso!" I'm just gonna be like, "Oh man, that poor dude."

Assertn
Mon, 05-31-2021, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I'm guessing they didn't have enough backstory remaining to fill an episode, so they went a little out-of-order on some of the reveals and details.

neflight86
Tue, 06-01-2021, 01:31 PM
Great wrap-up for a better-than expected flashback arc. Can't wait to see what happens next- and the eventual spy reveal. That implies that one of his retainers was murdered and replaced, right? And since Bon Clay has the impersonation fruit now, there's no way its the same old lady character, but someone completely different?

DarthEnderX
Tue, 06-01-2021, 02:00 PM
Great wrap-up for a better-than expected flashback arc. Can't wait to see what happens next- and the eventual spy reveal. That implies that one of his retainers was murdered and replaced, right?The spy has been in place all the way back since Orochi was just a servant borrowing money from Oden. That suggests that the person in question has been a spy the whole time.

Assertn
Fri, 06-04-2021, 07:51 AM
Great wrap-up for a better-than expected flashback arc. Can't wait to see what happens next- and the eventual spy reveal. That implies that one of his retainers was murdered and replaced, right? And since Bon Clay has the impersonation fruit now, there's no way its the same old lady character, but someone completely different?

Naw, Kaido mentions to Udon during his execution that he had killed the old lady for meddling with their battle.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 06-04-2021, 09:50 AM
Not that Kaido is exactly trustworthy.

Like, all of this shit about tricking the entire country of Wano was his plan to begin with. So he's not some honorable warrior that wouldn't stoop to lying.

poopdeville
Fri, 06-04-2021, 05:04 PM
I decided to start watching this again, starting from the end of Water 7/Enies Lobby. I'm at the Whole Cake Island arc. I know Mom is a bad guy, but she's pretty awesome. She has the whole chaotic neutral + unreasonable pirate thing going on, like Luffy does. (Though, again, she is bad and definitely abuses people)

Oh yeah, Dressrosa was awesome. I'm glad Fujitora wasn't one of those absolute justice assholes.

Assertn
Fri, 06-04-2021, 10:38 PM
I decided to start watching this again, starting from the end of Water 7/Enies Lobby. I'm at the Whole Cake Island arc.

Wow, that's a pretty intense marathon. Yeah, Linlin is chill, as long as you...
1) Never try to leave her territory
2) Give up some of your soul as tax
3) Don't get in her way when she has hunger pangs
Other than that no biggie!

DarthEnderX
Sat, 06-05-2021, 09:47 PM

---

Well that mystery was short lived.

Some new scenes in the OP this week.

Assertn
Sun, 06-06-2021, 09:10 PM
I was trying to remember how they resolved the Sunny getting blown up, but I guess it was Franky and Usopp being like, "Just a quick patch job, no biggie."

DarthEnderX
Mon, 06-07-2021, 02:21 AM
The Sunny is made of, like, God's Wood. I'm pretty sure hand grenades wouldn't do shit to it.

neflight86
Mon, 06-07-2021, 07:40 AM
I guess Kanjuro was the only one with a devil fruit power, so I should have guessed. I like that even his poor drawing was canonically deception as well. Nico will be disappointed. His motivation seems a little underdeveloped due to the brevity of the backstory, but it does tie up some story questions (like Jack getting to Zou). Pretty shrewd of Orochi to have a plant on the ground floor like he did. Was his name suggesting he is a member of Orochi's clan?

Assertn
Mon, 06-07-2021, 09:13 AM
Was his name suggesting he is a member of Orochi's clan?

Yep, he's from the same clan as Orochi and the two geezers.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 06-07-2021, 01:49 PM
I guess Kanjuro was the only one with a devil fruit power, so I should have guessed.Kinemon has a devil fruit. He can change objects into clothes.

neflight86
Mon, 06-07-2021, 02:30 PM
Oh.My.Gosh; He did... Top three least utilized devil fruits in One Piece?

DarthEnderX
Mon, 06-07-2021, 02:50 PM
Well...it doesn't have a lot of uses.

"Am I wearing clothes already? Yes? Then I don't need to use this."

Also, I don't think I've ever seen Sunny use it's cannons before. I didn't even know it HAD them. I though it just had the mouth beam.

neflight86
Tue, 06-15-2021, 08:19 AM
...they must have started animating that back when Dressrosa was airing.

I wonder if Law is actually stupidly competing with Kidd and Luffy, or goading them into attacking targets he's selecting?

Assertn
Tue, 06-15-2021, 11:06 AM
...they must have started animating that back when Dressrosa was airing.

I wonder if Law is actually stupidly competing with Kidd and Luffy, or goading them into attacking targets he's selecting?

The supernova trio being competitive seems like a throwback to Shabondy to me. Already been 11 years goddamn.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 06-15-2021, 09:38 PM
The supernova trio being competitive seems like a throwback to Shabondy to me. Already been 11 years goddamn.Ever since that scene first aired, I've been predicting Luffy, Law and Kid would become future Emperor's.

And if they take out Kaido and Big Mom here, they will be(though Luffy still needs to duel Shanks).

Assertn
Wed, 06-16-2021, 09:22 AM
Ever since that scene first aired, I've been predicting Luffy, Law and Kid would become future Emperor's.

And if they take out Kaido and Big Mom here, they will be(though Luffy still needs to duel Shanks).

Kid especially seemed branded as the "anti-Luffy" during his early reveal. He would make for an ideal rival if not for the other ideal rivals already existing in this series, lol. I still want to see a Luffy vs Smoker rematch, though I doubt that will happen at this point.

neflight86
Wed, 06-16-2021, 12:08 PM
I'd like that rematch too, but I think he got jobbed on Punk Hazard by Doflamingo...

poopdeville
Tue, 06-22-2021, 01:03 AM
Still watching whole cake island. Tea party ruined. Bege is a pretty good shot. Katakuri is pretty good but somehow less scary than Mingo. Why doesn't Luffy use the same trick on Katakuri he used on Enel's mantra? He can't even land a punch right now. He's getting his ass handed to him.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 06-22-2021, 01:59 AM
Why doesn't Luffy use the same trick on Katakuri he used on Enel's mantra? Well, it doesn't work, for one.

Gomu-gomu-no-duuuuuuuh...is neat, but you can't attack back. So it's not that useful.

neflight86
Tue, 06-22-2021, 08:17 AM
Katakuri's observation haki is on a totally different level (can see the actual future) than Enel, who was more or less reliant on his fruit power. No sir, a better solution is required.

poopdeville
Tue, 06-22-2021, 04:37 PM
Fair enough, but it hasn't even occurred to Luffy to try it on the O.Haki users.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 06-26-2021, 09:34 PM

---

FINALLY! The most Japanese-ass Strawhat shows up in the Japan arc!

Assertn
Sun, 06-27-2021, 12:28 PM
Episode went from "meh" to "oh fuck yeah" in the last 2 minutes, lol. How many years has Oda teased the Jinbei addition?

DarthEnderX
Sun, 06-27-2021, 01:11 PM
Episode went from "meh" to "oh fuck yeah" in the last 2 minutes, lol. How many years has Oda teased the Jinbei addition?I mean...he's technically already been IN the crew for years now. Fucker just won't get on the goddamn boat.

neflight86
Mon, 06-28-2021, 07:54 AM
...and we're fighting rain... Momonosuke is being noble... Wano weapons are high quality (sniper cannons)- funny that that was all that was needed to put everyone in a tight spot.... but then...

Jimbei Hype! Nothing less than a full force for this battle. Awesome. Was there theoretically one more space left in the crew, or are we all aboard now?

DarthEnderX
Mon, 06-28-2021, 10:43 AM
Was there theoretically one more space left in the crew, or are we all aboard now?Luffy said he wanted 10, but he doesn't include himself, so he's got one slot left.

Still hoping Carrot gets the nod.

Assertn
Fri, 07-02-2021, 11:04 PM
Every crewmate also has to have a utility function in addition to combat ability, though. So far we have:
Captain: Luffy
First Mate: Zoro
Chef: Sanji
Navigator: Nami
Sharpshooter: Usopp
Doctor: Chopper
Archaeologist (shhh): Robin
Shipwright: Franky
Musician (Most important role): Brooke
Helmsman: Jimbei
Electrician(?): Carrot

DarthEnderX
Fri, 07-02-2021, 11:32 PM
CarrotLookout.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 07-10-2021, 09:25 PM

---

Man, what an expensive looking episode for no big fights taking place.

I'm glad they didn't toast without Carrot. :p

Assertn
Sun, 07-11-2021, 11:24 AM
Man, what an expensive looking episode for no big fights taking place.
Yeah, but a lot of nice setup, too. Showed all the key groups of Kaido's army, and Luffy's decision to postpone the kanpai was dope. Really gives the feeling like they're going to succeed in taking down some yonkous this time.

I'm glad they didn't toast without Carrot. :p
Gotta wait for the most important character to join :rolleyes:

neflight86
Tue, 07-13-2021, 08:24 AM
The craft on display is just unnecessary. That single cut of Sanji wobbling across the screen to the toast had more frames than most episodes did during Whole Cake island... That and the introduction of Kaido's (other) lieutenants and a Queen AMV? Don't spoil me! We still have 400+ episodes to go!

This did really remind me that they are going to be fighting two Yonkous at the same time and they have no choice but to win. After this arc, there won't be many credible threats left to the Straw Hats.

Assertn
Tue, 07-13-2021, 09:07 AM
There's still the admirals, cp0, the mysterious WG leaders, and, of course, Blackbeard. Considering any single arc can take 2 years, that leaves us with a lot of episodes left.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 07-13-2021, 02:57 PM
There's still the admirals, cp0, the mysterious WG leaders, and, of course, Blackbeard. Considering any single arc can take 2 years, that leaves us with a lot of episodes left.I'll be surprised if the Admirals, CP0 and the WG leaders don't end up being a single arc.

I'm definitely expecting one of the last two arcs of the series to just be the World Government War arc.

neflight86
Tue, 07-13-2021, 03:17 PM
I group Cipher Pol 0 with CP9; which is to say pre timeskip levels of strength, given how CP9 was touted as the best. If I recall, they needed all three admirals, dozens of vice admerals, and around 5 warlords to fend off one emperor's crew + allies, so I rate their strength lower, but we never got a clear read on the combined strength of Whitebeard's buddies. The WG leaders and their hidden muscle (not the navy) could still be scary, I suppose, but we saw Fujitora get boxed into the ground by a half dead Newgate, so I'd put admirals well below Yonkais.

All that to say, once Strat Hats can beat Big Mom and/or Kaido, not much can touch them in a fair fight.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 07-13-2021, 11:03 PM
I group Cipher Pol 0 with CP9; which is to say pre timeskip levels of strengthNo,they're definitely on a much higher tier. Lucci and Kaku were the big badasses in CP9, and are, like, the rookies in CP0

neflight86
Wed, 07-14-2021, 08:42 AM
Good to hear, and it makes sense story-wise, but do you recall where that was established?

DarthEnderX
Wed, 07-14-2021, 03:24 PM
Good to hear, and it makes sense story-wise, but do you recall where that was established?That CP0 is stronger? Or that Lucci and Kaku are in CP0?

Either way, the answer is no. Although the first sentence of their wiki page is "CP-0, more properly known as Cipher Pol Aigis Zero, is the strongest intelligence organization among Cipher Pol."

Maybe that just means their intelligence is stronger. But I assume they mean fighting strength.

neflight86
Wed, 07-14-2021, 04:01 PM
It makes me very pleased to hear that my boy Rob *insert profanity* Lucci might come back into the show now, if he's a member of 0.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 07-15-2021, 12:38 AM
It makes me very pleased to hear that my boy Rob *insert profanity* Lucci might come back into the show now, if he's a member of 0.Lucci was in the most recent movie.

neflight86
Thu, 07-15-2021, 08:04 AM
Yeah, and I think he had a bit with Sabo in the Gold movie, as well. I specifically meant back into a full cannon arc (even though Gold was essentially an arc). Such a cool character design for my taste.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 07-17-2021, 10:32 PM

---

Jinbei in the intro group shots now!

Assertn
Sat, 07-17-2021, 11:54 PM
It makes me very pleased to hear that my boy Rob *insert profanity* Lucci might come back into the show now, if he's a member of 0.

He did show up as CP0 in the show. He was there in Mariejois when Charloss was trying to enslave Shirahoshi.

neflight86
Tue, 07-20-2021, 08:18 AM
Almost as soon as we said it (give or take couple months), Oda gave Kinemon's fruit one last use. Obviously he's lurking in this thread and was reminded about this power by us, and for that, world; You're welcome.

Now that they're reunited, did something happen to Killer that made him go bounty hunter until Zoro beat him? I figure he would have been trying to rescue Kidd from Udon; not hunting down the Komurasaki. I know he got force fed the smile fruit, but other than laughing, does that change a person somehow?

DarthEnderX
Tue, 07-20-2021, 02:38 PM
I believe he was basically being blackmailed, along with all of Kid's crew.

"You work for us now. Do what we say or we'll kill your captain."

He knew he couldn't just run in there and bust Kid out. So until Kid was freed, he had no choice but to do their bidding.

Assertn
Sun, 08-01-2021, 11:31 AM
Goddamn, I just want Luffy to eat all the red bean soup so Tama's squeals can stop piercing my ears.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-01-2021, 12:44 PM
"UMEEEEEEEEE!!!"

neflight86
Mon, 08-02-2021, 07:43 AM
Ok, so theses last two 'aren't we evil?' episodes at Kaido's party were pretty weird for me.

Wasn't Luffy's trademark accidentally saving countries while doing what he wants a a pirate? He missed Nami's backstory at Arlong Park and the trend continued from there where he didn't give two enthusiastic sociopolitical farts about why he's fighting anyone he had a beef with. Arabasta. Skypea. Water 7. Dresrosa. Not in one of those cases did he have some special affinity for the undermined or corrupt local government; the big bad just rubbed him the wrong way somehow or other or hurt one of his friends- not so here. It was weird to see him chastise Kidd with "Don't you know the land of Wano's future depends on this battle"? What? Wherefrom, in the deepest, darkest recesses of his documented autism, did he pull that little nugget from? Everywhere you've been that has been the case and you were unaware and uncaring (pirate life; I fight who I want), so why is this country's politics so important? I get Tama's hardships getting his goat, and that really should have been the long and short of his motivation to beat Kaido...

It felt like a misstep, but the battle goes on.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 08-02-2021, 09:50 AM
I don't think he understands the sociopolitical anything of Wano either. All he knows is his friends Kinemon and Momonosuke want their country back.

Assertn
Tue, 08-03-2021, 05:40 PM
Nah, Luffy already gave the "I'm your nakama" speech to Momonosuke. He didn't even care about the honorifics or Momonosuke's duty as the heir of Wano. He already promised he'd help them with their mission just for the sake of their friendship alone. IIRC, Luffy initially rejected Momo's formal request when he asked back on Zou.

neflight86
Wed, 08-04-2021, 04:21 PM
Yeah; he's doing it for friendship. What rubbed me wrong was mentioning the fate of the land of Wano instead of the suffering of his nakama as if that were his ultimate motivation, which I sorta doubt. I'm actually surprised the concept of this country is even solidly enough in his head to be upset on its behalf (how many times has Luffy, throughout the series, used reductive monikers to reference people and places, but Wano is special enough to have its name remembered?) It just felt out of character to have captain Monkey get mad at pirates for pirating a country instead of serviceable reasons like Tama and Momonosuke. I mean, it is for them, and we got the flashbacks to prove it, but that one line stuck out like a sore thumb. It felt like Kidd was acting more like Luffy than Luffy so far. I guess I'm splitting hairs, then.

neflight86
Mon, 08-09-2021, 10:04 AM
Oh no- I get that supernovas are strong and all, but for Luffy to get straight out coldclocked and needed to be saved from Scratchman feels like some grade-c padding. I'm glad Kidd gave him the old one-hitter-quitter to cap off that eye-rolling scene.

I also enjoyed that both Luffy and Zoro agreed that blowing their cover couldn't be helped if the disrespect of red bean soup was involved.

Does Queen know Drake is a narc?

DarthEnderX
Mon, 08-09-2021, 05:51 PM
I get that supernovas are strong and all, but for Luffy to get straight out coldclocked and needed to be saved from Scratchman feels like some grade-c padding.I looked it up and it totally happens in the manga too.

I feel like Armament Haki would stop those attacks, but since they can't see them, and they can't do full body hardening yet, they're getting though.

Assertn
Tue, 08-10-2021, 09:05 AM
All the supernovas put up a decent fight. Hawkins had Luffy and Zoro on the run earlier in the arc, too.

neflight86
Fri, 09-17-2021, 10:29 AM
I feel like we've met Kaido's kid before. Have we?

DarthEnderX
Fri, 09-17-2021, 10:48 AM
I can't really tell yet, but they aren't familiar.

I can't tell if Yamato is supposed to be a woman in disguise, or if he's another trans character like Kiku...

DarthEnderX
Sat, 09-18-2021, 11:04 PM

---

Lady in disguise it is.

Assertn
Sun, 09-19-2021, 02:23 PM

---

Lady in disguise it is.

Kaido may be a ruthless killer and pirate, and may lock his child in a cell, but it's 2021, so he's gonna respect his son's gender identity, damnit.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-19-2021, 05:49 PM
Lol. Kaido has big Kor energy? :p

neflight86
Sun, 09-19-2021, 07:12 PM
Lol. What's in the log book? That's a flashback I wanna see!

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-19-2021, 10:04 PM
Lol. What's in the log book? That's a flashback I wanna see!We...already did. It's all the stuff in the Oden flashback we just saw, like, 20 episodes ago.

neflight86
Mon, 09-20-2021, 07:46 AM
...then what's the point of Yamato telling us about it (or it even still existing) unless there were a few important details saved for revelations later? Does Luffy need to know about Odin's diary to want to beat Kaido? Yamato was convinced by the boiling oil stunt to want to be Odin, so it wasn't an inspiration, leaving me to assume it still has more information glossed over or omitted from the flashback.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-20-2021, 10:22 AM
...then what's the point of Yamato telling us about it (or it even still existing) unless there were a few important details saved for revelations later?Well, for one thing, WE know about Oden's journey, but the Strawhat's don't. The journal gives the Strawhats a way to learn what the audience knows.

Also...it probably tells where the last Red Ponyglyph is.

neflight86
Mon, 09-27-2021, 08:00 AM
Just one scene with Big Mom was enough for me to get hyped again, not to mention Kaido's little info dump on the ancient weapons. I forgot about those. Save me a trip to the spoiler filled wiki- how many have been confirmed so far in the story?

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-27-2021, 12:36 PM
Save me a trip to the spoiler filled wiki- how many have been confirmed so far in the story?They've expressly said that there's 3.

Poseidon is Shirahoshi's ability to command Sea Kings.

Pluton is...some kinda ship, probably? All we know is it was built in Water 7.

We have no idea what Uranus is.

neflight86
Tue, 10-05-2021, 12:58 PM

Off with his head. Orochi didn't get much of a send off, and that makes a record two confirmed kills in an episode, right?

I kind of preferred the dual messiness of both Orochi and Kaido imposing on Wano. Now that they are effectively rolling into one unit, the defeat of them is a bit too packaged of a solution to all our woes.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 10-06-2021, 02:25 AM
I don't think Orochi is really dead. His fruit is turning into a hydra, so I think it's possible he can survive losing a head.

Assertn
Sun, 10-10-2021, 04:04 PM
Ayoo, bunch of samurai just killed Kaido. Pack it up boys, we done here.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 10-11-2021, 12:37 AM
Uh huh. I'm sure. :p

neflight86
Mon, 10-11-2021, 05:32 PM
...great (animation) cuts though! Better than the sentai transformations they used 'em on last arc.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 11-20-2021, 11:42 PM

---

Woo! 1000!

Back to We Are for the intro again, huh? What's this, like, the 4th time?

Assertn
Sun, 11-21-2021, 09:42 PM

---

Woo! 1000!

Back to We Are for the intro again, huh? What's this, like, the 4th time?

Ahh, 1000. That explains the random strawhat crew montage in the middle of the episode.

neflight86
Tue, 11-23-2021, 12:27 PM
They even said "thank you". Somewhere I thought I heard it was an hour long special; not so. Oh well. It was still a fun little romp, and it starkly displayed that some strawhats have had much more story focus than others.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 11-23-2021, 06:06 PM
Yeah. Anyone that got an Arc in the Grand Line got way more than the East Blueies.

I feel like, as the country Zoro's master's style originates from, Zoro should be getting MORE content in Wano than he's gotten so far.

Assertn
Sun, 11-28-2021, 03:22 PM
Even the flashback of the Oars fight made me think about how much Oda shifts focus on his characters. Remember when Franky used to spontaneously craft stuff, like the bridge or pillar nun-chucks? Now he just uses the same moves before turning into robo-warrior Franky.

neflight86
Wed, 12-01-2021, 09:40 AM
The fake out worked on me. Drake had a nice little hit there. Luffy could use some marine allies- I wonder if more have infiltrated Wano?

I feel like, as the country Zoro's master's style originates from, Zoro should be getting MORE content in Wano than he's gotten so far.

Is that a manga thing, or did they mention post thriller bark that Mihawk is from or studied in Wano?

DarthEnderX
Wed, 12-01-2021, 02:17 PM
Is that a manga thing, or did they mention post thriller bark that Mihawk is from or studied in Wano?Not Mihawk. Zoro's ORIGINAL master. And I guess it's just kind of implied. Since Zoro's master teaches everyone katana-styles, the thing he taught Zoro about "being able to cut nothing, or everything" is like EXACTLY part of Hyogoro's explanation for Ryou.

So my takeaway from that is either Zoro's master was from Wano, or whoever taught him was. Either way, it seems to me Wano is the origin of the philosophies Zoro was raised on.

Assertn
Sat, 12-04-2021, 10:29 PM
Not Mihawk. Zoro's ORIGINAL master. And I guess it's just kind of implied. Since Zoro's master teaches everyone katana-styles, the thing he taught Zoro about "being able to cut nothing, or everything" is like EXACTLY part of Hyogoro's explanation for Ryou.

So my takeaway from that is either Zoro's master was from Wano, or whoever taught him was. Either way, it seems to me Wano is the origin of the philosophies Zoro was raised on.

Possibly more than implied. The Wado Ichimonji was recognized by Tama's caretaker as a graded sword originating from Wano. Considering that Wado Ichimonji was a sword passed down within Zoro's master's family, they may have had roots from Wano as well.

neflight86
Sun, 01-09-2022, 01:56 PM

After a couple weeks of filler, we got an episode.

New OP isn't my favorite, but I'll have plenty of time to warm up to it.

Akazaya Nine had their moment, but now they're about to get one-shotted by Kaido.

Plague rounds are as dirty as ever- is there any mentioned upgrade for the Ice Oni version aside from cold effects?

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-09-2022, 02:47 PM
I'm not worried about the plague rounds. Chopper is there.

Assertn
Wed, 01-12-2022, 09:45 AM
Plague rounds are as dirty as ever- is there any mentioned upgrade for the Ice Oni version aside from cold effects?

Did the other plague rounds infect peoples' minds, too, or were they being forced to attack each other by the guards? I can't remember.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-30-2022, 01:29 AM
Hey. Adult Swim is airing new One Piece again. I can probably thank the loss of Family Guy for that. :p

Kinda dumb though, because their last run ended at the end of Thriller Bark. And this looks like they decided to start up again at start of the post-timeskip.

Which means to anyone just watching the show on AS...they skipped the Whitebeard War. >_<

neflight86
Tue, 02-01-2022, 10:21 AM
Which means to anyone watching watching the show on the AS...they skipped the Whitebeard War. >_< Criminal.

But who's gonna save the doctor? Giving scratchman the antibodies is so random, it feels like an excuse for filler. Now we gotta find and fight for a mcguffin in the middle of the Wano war?

Nami crying that Luffy would be pirate king was nice. Think Tama will recruit the brother/sister with her mochi powers?

DarthEnderX
Tue, 02-01-2022, 02:14 PM
Tama, in this specific situation, has the most OP fruit on the planet.

neflight86
Tue, 02-01-2022, 03:16 PM
Have there been any other brainwashing/mind control fruits in OP? I recall Mr. 3's partner back in alabasta who used colors to change personality traits or something, and the puppeteer girl in Dressrosa made people lose memories (that must have been the most whack power in OP ever), but can anyone else just make enemies friends without friendship-no-jutsu that we know of?

Did Tama ride the dog across the sea from the port, or were the samurai so soft as to let her onboard twenty episodes ago?

Assertn
Thu, 02-10-2022, 07:09 AM
We know Tama's ability works on SMILE users, but does it work on any zoan type? Would be too easy to just feed Kaido and be done with it. She could enslave Momonosuke as well, and become a shadow dictator of Wano while she's at it.

At the very least, though, she could probably steal Chopper, which would be pretty messed up.

Have there been any other brainwashing/mind control fruits in OP? I recall Mr. 3's partner back in alabasta who used colors to change personality traits or something, and the puppeteer girl in Dressrosa made people lose memories (that must have been the most whack power in OP ever), but can anyone else just make enemies friends without friendship-no-jutsu that we know of?

Sugar's DF lets her create a contract with her victims that they must obey against their will. The reason Kyros was the only defiant victim as the toy soldier was because she failed to issue a contract with him.

There's also this fruit (https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Peto_Peto_no_Mi) from a filler arc.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-06-2022, 12:46 PM

---

Goddamnit, Yamato is totally going to be the next Strawhat, isn't she?

I want Carrot!

Little disappointed in Black Maria's fruit. It's just a spider. Every other Lead Performer or Tobiroppo is a dinosaur or other prehistoric animal. It also appears to be a SMILE fruit. Everyone else has a REAL Zoan fruit.

neflight86
Tue, 03-08-2022, 09:51 PM
Way to cast some shade on Maria; but it does stick out her non-adherence to the theme... I hope Sanji doesn't get stuck with a joke battle, but he can't hit a woman, so his options are limited.

I don't think Yamato will be joining (though I'd be lying if I didn't admit the idea was interesting). Strawhats need more history or at least a couple episodes of tragic backstory to qualify. Luffy's weird that way.

That also being said, I'll posit that Yamato is, by and large, the weakest part of this entire battle for me. Came completely out of nowhere, is bonkers, and has no interesting characteristics or fighting style. She's just diet Kaido. Her devotion to Momonosuke and hatred of her dad aren't interesting enough on their own- I'm still hoping for a lore dump from the margins of Oden's diary to come from her and make her inclusion feel more substantial to the narrative going forward. Probably when this battle is over.

Ace did bring out some more budget, though. I saw those nice frames.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 03-09-2022, 02:09 AM
I find her whole "I'm Oden!" schtick to be really offputting.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 04-11-2022, 08:39 AM
This Toei hack is KILLING me!

neflight86
Wed, 04-20-2022, 11:19 AM

Just one flashback to the golden ages is enough to justify this episode.

Queen has some... interesting powers for a dinosaur. Did most ancient reptiles come standard with automatic weaponry?

Many lore drops this ep as well.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 04-20-2022, 12:20 PM
I don't think we learned anything we didn't already know.

Just glad that we're back!

DarthEnderX
Sun, 04-24-2022, 10:43 AM

---

Holy shit! What an episode!

Assertn
Sun, 04-24-2022, 11:13 PM
Very hype episode indeed. Kinda makes me sad when there's a high production episode, though, because you know they just blew their budget for the next 2 months.

neflight86
Sun, 04-24-2022, 11:53 PM
What did I just watch?

That should have been episode 1000.

If/when One Piece is 'redone' as a Kai version here in a few years, if it could be animated like that... anime wouldn't be niche.

Maybe the Toei hackers chipped in and stole the storyboards, contracted out to independent animators, and re-injected this back in? The last episode with production rivaling this was the finale of the Katakuri fight back in... early 2019? Though Wano as a whole has had better production, this was something else, start to finish!

DarthEnderX
Mon, 04-25-2022, 12:10 AM
That should have been episode 1000.Funny you say that. Because it was apparently chapter 1000 of the manga. :p

Maybe the Toei hackers chipped in and stole the storyboards, contracted out to independent animators, and re-injected this back in? The last episode with production rivaling this was the finale of the Katakuri fight back in... early 2019? Though Wano as a whole has had better production, this was something else, start to finish!I wonder if, during the whole hack delay, the animators just spent a bunch of time polishing the episode.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 05-15-2022, 11:13 AM

---

Pure. Nonstop. Action!

neflight86
Wed, 05-18-2022, 11:30 AM
This might be the best looking CG in anime yet. More upgrades injected by the hackers, I guess.

I'm still waiting for the cutaway that will drown us in crew fights for 12+ weeks. This one can't finish first!

DarthEnderX
Wed, 05-18-2022, 09:55 PM
I'm still waiting for the cutaway that will drown us in crew fights for 12+ weeks. This one can't finish first!Obviously. The Strawhats haven't had ANY one-on-one fights yet, and we have all those Headliners and Tobiroppo left.

neflight86
Thu, 05-19-2022, 08:04 AM
Assuming you haven't read ahead, any predictions on order? Any (potential) fights you are hyped for?

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-19-2022, 08:27 AM
Assuming you haven't read ahead, any predictions on order? Any (potential) fights you are hyped for?Well, the current intro probably spoils some of the upcoming matchups.

It's funny, but it shows just how far ahead those intros go, but the scene we just saw in THIS episode, with Luffy blasting through Kaido's breath in 4th Gear is the final shot of TWO OPs ago!

neflight86
Thu, 05-19-2022, 02:52 PM
Heh, I've been skipping past OPs and recap for so long that I don't even register them as the spoilers they are.

neflight86
Mon, 05-23-2022, 09:02 AM
CP0 has some cool designs. I hope Rob Lucci is somewhere within them.

Dirty cut-off. I wanna see the man-beast form!

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-23-2022, 12:28 PM
Well, again, it definitely wasn't already in the OP. :p

Assertn
Thu, 05-26-2022, 10:51 PM
So... fun fact, Luffy and Law formed their alliance back in episode 594. That means for almost 40% of the entire series so far, they were allies.

Also, Brook joined the crew in episode 381. Which means there are more episodes where he is a crewmate than there are where he isn't a crewmate.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 05-26-2022, 10:53 PM
Goddamn I'll be glad when the Yonkou Saga is over...

DarthEnderX
Sat, 05-28-2022, 09:48 PM

---

I'm SO glad that at least Tama realizes how OP Tama is against the Beast pirates. :p

Assertn
Tue, 05-31-2022, 12:57 AM
She'll have to start a new village for all her pets after this

neflight86
Tue, 06-07-2022, 01:57 PM

Behold, the power of adultery!

Funny sound off of everyone calling out Sanji for calling for help.

Prospero and Carrot's fight should be allocated one scene every 8 or so episodes; it isn't very interesting.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 06-07-2022, 02:20 PM
Funny sound off of everyone calling out Sanji for calling for help.You could tell from the NPCs expectations. Because whatever those were, Sanji was going to subvert it.

If they'd been expecting him to cave, he would have held out. But the minute the minions were all "He's going to refuse to say anything, how noble!" I knew he was gonna cave.

I really hope Robin gets a badass fight scene. She hasn't had one in AGES.

Prospero and Carrot's fight should be allocated one scene every 8 or so episodes; it isn't very interesting.I mean, I'd rather they just do it all at once and finish it.

neflight86
Fri, 06-17-2022, 12:54 PM

If Sanji had ever laid eyes on Yamato, his decision wouldn't have been so pained...

Momonosuke might just be the luckiest character in One Piece, when it comes to women.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 06-17-2022, 01:09 PM
That's because girls treat kids like they're, well, kids.

When Luffy, Usopp and Chopper bust in on Nami in the shower, Luffy and Usopp get the beatdowns. Chopper goes free.

neflight86
Fri, 06-17-2022, 04:11 PM
Chopper is an adult Raccoon, though...

DarthEnderX
Fri, 06-17-2022, 10:30 PM
Nah, he's only...*checks wiki*...SEVENTEEN?!

Assertn
Mon, 06-20-2022, 11:09 PM
Nah, he's only...*checks wiki*...SEVENTEEN?!

Heh, yep. He's a grandpa in reindeer years. Which begs the question: do zoan users just take whichever form has the longer life expectancy? Also, why are both reindeer and human forms grown-ass adult forms, but the hybrid is chibi stuffed animal form?