PDA

View Full Version : Kenja no Mago: Wise Man's Grandchild

Munsu
Mon, 04-29-2019, 09:45 AM
https://i.imgur.com/jy9bTDx.jpg

A powerful wizard and sage comes upon a baby whom he adopts and names Shin. The baby is actually a man from our world reincarnated into the sage's world. The sage raises Shin, separated from the rest of society, and teaches him in the ways of magic. It is only when Shin turns 15 years old and sets out on his own journey that the sage remembers that he forgot to teach Shin the common sense and ways of this particular world. And so, Shin goes the capital of the Alsheid Kingdom to enroll in the capital's magic academy.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=21419

I'm up to date with Kenja no Mago: Wise Man's Grandchild, and not going to try and convince anyone who's not watching to give it a shot because so far I think it's overall a silly series. Just decided to create the thread after watching the final scene of episode 3, it really surprised me and came out of nowhere for a series like this.

I know there's at least someone else watching.

I feel it has the same atmosphere as Kyo Kara Maoh without the shounen-ai antics so far.

KrayZ33
Mon, 04-29-2019, 10:09 AM
I like the spellcasting in this show.

the storytelling and the setup itself is horrible though.

MC being from our world is pointless, in fact the story would've made more sense, and would've been better, if he wasn't.
And characters are still able to make jokes and laugh after beheading a classmate/kid that transformed (unwillingly, he was basically tricked into it) into a demon.

I dislike the author for jumping onto the isekai train just like that, when he could've had an original story within some kind of mythical medieval paralell world.

That "talented magician in training" - "demon hunter" stuff would've been so much better if it were build up in a more serious manner, like that one show a few years ago with the witch in the woods... Maria the Virgin Witch - I believe?

Man, that show had interesting characters.

David75
Mon, 04-29-2019, 01:54 PM
Interresting characters ? who ?
Yup, MC forced to behead Kurt was a surprise.
Domestic Violence too.
I agree with everything else.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-29-2019, 02:11 PM
Maria was pretty "interesting" in unadulterated form.

MFauli
Mon, 04-29-2019, 03:46 PM
I watch it. Also it's a wholly generic, rather bad series.

Agreed, the isekai premise is so unneeded. Nothing would change if he didn't come from our world. Reminds me of that other anime where someone was reborn as a silver-haired boy in a fantasy world and started designing mecha for the kingdom. At least there it was the reason for his different mecha designs, because he used to be a gundam fan in the real world.

KrayZ33
Mon, 04-29-2019, 03:58 PM
Interresting characters ? who ?

The mercenary guy that killed his commander, the church dude, that celtic demon/god thingy etc. etc.
But literally everyone was meaningful and interesting enough.
Even the succubus that was used to exhaust military leaders so they won't feel the need to go to war.

That anime was brimming with charm like a disney/ghibli movie.

Quite the opposite of this one, which is so generic and pointless that you can't help but think it's written by some 12 year old. It's some kind of fan fiction... sure, I can watch it... but it has absolutely no worth whatsoever.
It's following a certain checklist, and it's doing that in a rather obvious fashion, as you can already tell by the fact that it's isekai, even though it doesn't add *ANYTHING* at all.

The show Mfauli mentioned -> at least the dude brings technology
Overlord -> at least it's his character - and thus he has some kind of status attached to that - also a game
Slime -> technology
Smartphone -> Smartphone - I believe it was a game?
Oda nobu-smthing -> dude knows how history played out

etc. etc.

this one? Dude is *reborn* as a baby, somehow does retain some kind and some intelligence of his former life, but nothing specific about how to behave in public or something, but hey, he brought laserswords from star wars, ain't that funny.
Yet none of that was by any means necessary because magic exists.
He was trained by two of the strongest mages in that timeline anyway, so obviously he'd be a prodigy if you give him some kind of "natural talent" and it would've been the same outcome - just cut away the first 5-10 minutes and noone would've noticed.

In fact, him not knowing "common sense" would actually be more believable then.

Anyway, it's a show with an OP MC... to a certain degree, I like that, which is why I'll keep watching until it becomes so much of a pain, where I'll simply stop. Or maybe the animation will carry it and get me through

Kraco
Mon, 04-29-2019, 04:46 PM
This is a super generic series. I'll never really understand how the Japanese decide which LN or manga to animate. There would have certainly been more interesting isekai series than this from my point of view.

At least there's a little bit of potential for romance, even if the main girl is lacking personality, I guess going for the perfect girlfriend trope like Asuna from SAO.

Munsu
Mon, 04-29-2019, 09:22 PM
This is a super generic series. I'll never really understand how the Japanese decide which LN or manga to animate. There would have certainly been more interesting isekai series than this from my point of view.

At least there's a little bit of potential for romance, even if the main girl is lacking personality, I guess going for the perfect girlfriend trope like Asuna from SAO.

I hate the love interest.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-29-2019, 09:48 PM
Why are so many people watching this..?

MFauli
Tue, 04-30-2019, 02:39 AM
Why are so many people watching this..?

Op guy impressing people (and waifus) with magic spells, kinda ok animation. It's getting boring quickly though, as expected.

Kraco
Wed, 05-01-2019, 04:46 PM
Ep 4

- - - - -

No body, not dead.

It's kind of funny that if you look at this episode as an example, Sizilien, who ought to be the main girl, actually contributed the least to anything of all the girls who had some kind of a role in the episode.

KrayZ33
Wed, 05-01-2019, 04:58 PM
What do you mean? In my eyes, no one did anything other than MC and the 2 inspectors.

I guess the 2 new members had "some role"... but the rest?

Kraco
Wed, 05-01-2019, 05:55 PM
They seemed to have some ambitions and interests of their own. Sizilien was just looking pretty and reacting to stuff Shin did or what happened around Shin. As if she indeed is nothing but his girlfriend (however unofficial). Nothing big happened in this episode (aside from the demon dude part), so none of them did anything particularly remarkable, but even if it was just knowing about a restaurant and wanting to taste all kinds of dishes there, it's still something they'd do for their own pleasure alone.

I'm obviously judging Sizilien through a bit harsher lens here, but that's given if she's to be the MC's partner. My ideal fictional couple is one where there's some equality, both have their own things going on, and both can kick ass (in some ways, even if it's so that one is a fighter, the other is a hacker).

MFauli
Thu, 05-02-2019, 12:40 AM
Pls stop calling her 'Sizilien' :/

No idea why the subbers are translating her name to German, when the jap. dub clearly calls her 'Shishirii' aka 'Sicily'. Which also sounds much better. Fuck crunchroll, I guess 💁

Episode was ok. The 'no body' made me sigh out aloud. But I love these magic spells where multiple layers are summoned for more power. Always reminds me of Evangelion when they created multiple AT fields for better protection ❤

neflight86
Thu, 05-02-2019, 07:38 PM
At least he finally used some previous life knowledge (multiple invisible types of light waves combined for his spell) to any effect. This is about where I stopped reading the manga, due to a lack of real creativity or tension. I sure hope this story goes somewhere.

Kraco
Wed, 05-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Ep 5

- - - -

That's one super ugly and useless looking sword. It shouldn't last 10 minutes in a serious fight, but I guess it will because of magic.

MFauli
Thu, 05-09-2019, 01:01 AM
I still don't get it. Is a hilt THAT expensive?! And he's surrounded bu rich, benevolent people 💁

KrayZ33
Thu, 05-09-2019, 09:58 AM
I still don't get it. Is a hilt THAT expensive?!

Think Attack on Titan.

I believe... or rather I hope... that he'll somehow either carry additional blades around or the blade will at least be in stock somewhere for him to use if it breaks.
Probably a lot easier to produce these than whole swords or something.

But in this show? It isn't... just look how stupidly complex and ugly that junk looks. The hilt is so freaking large too, what a horrible design for a sword and blade, most likely extremely unbalanced too.

What was that retarded opening scene btw.... holy crap...that was unnecessary.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-09-2019, 11:35 AM
Couldn't he just enchant the blade to not break? I mean, he enchants the shit out of clothes and rings and whatever, but the blade breaks easily?

KrayZ33
Thu, 05-09-2019, 11:47 AM
he could do a lot of things... he could also simply not use a blade but a wooden stick, because he cuts with magic anyway

MFauli
Thu, 05-09-2019, 11:59 AM
REASONS, guys.

The quality of light novels, ladies and gentleman 💁

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-09-2019, 01:16 PM
I mean, why even use a stick? Why the heck is he even doing sword combat if he can use extremely powerful long distance attacks instantly..?

WTF am I doing watching this??

KrayZ33
Thu, 05-09-2019, 02:30 PM
The one explanation I can come up with is because he needs to visualize things to cast it.

Maybe the object acts as some kind of anchor for that

And since magic power is involved, using generic anime magic logic, it might not drain as much spellpower as large scale spells.

I have to say though, this is the least interesting Isekai I've seen yet.
The first episode was "okay" (generic etc. but you'd think you can make something out of the setting) and then it got strictly worse with each new one... and now it's already at a point where it can't get much worse.

MFauli
Thu, 05-09-2019, 04:35 PM
The issue is too many isekai anime have basically given up on plot and are the equivalent to the 'cute girls doing cute things' genre - except here it's 'guys enjoying the isekai'.

KrayZ33
Fri, 05-10-2019, 10:49 AM
I'd honestly be happy about the 'cute girls doing cute things' part, but I'm not seeing it in this one ever since Sicily apologized with oscar-acting tears when she "used" MC in episode 1...(or 2?).

I mean, I can laugh when 'cute girls do cute things', as they are unbelievably silly sometimes.
K-On - Minami-ke, Lucky Star, Maiddragon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO4UMrNGKTs), New Game!

Isekai don't feel like that to me at all :(.

I still think the best Isekai was Grimgar, of Fantasy and Ash. No matter how many people complain about "how slow it was", it was at least the most non generic Isekai ever and the characters left an impression.

I'd love more shows about the survival in a new world/game world... but not just in name, like this one. Just take the descprition as an example, from it alone, you'd think he struggles to fit in... but he freaking doesn't. He's so popular, live isn't even a challenge anymore.

Kraco
Thu, 05-16-2019, 11:14 AM
Episode 6

- - -- -

Somehow this anime manages to be even worse than the manga. Or to reword it, this anime manages to really illustrate even better than the manga how bad the story is and how it all depends only on a few superficial things, like being interested in the corny romantic development.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-16-2019, 12:18 PM
I hate the romantic development, I hate the enemies, I hate the characters.

Like I've said so many times before, why the fuck am I watching this?

MFauli
Thu, 05-16-2019, 03:07 PM
I hate the romantic development, I hate the enemies, I hate the characters.

Like I've said so many times before, why the fuck am I watching this?

Lol, you copied my mind.

I really need to stop.watchig anime just because ISEKAI. :/

Kraco
Thu, 05-30-2019, 05:52 PM
Episode 8

- - - -

Holy shit this is terrible. This is taking it to the next level compared to the manga, no doubt. I rarely find anything to complain about voice actors in the original Japanese dub of pretty much any anime, in fact very rarely indeed, but I couldn't help but think the prince's little sister, May, suffered from exceptionally poor voice acting. Maybe it was the VA's first job, who knows, and the director naturally wouldn't give a shit since this series is doomed anyway.

The old man Merlin Wolford is more or less the only character who's worth anything.

KrayZ33
Fri, 05-31-2019, 01:36 PM
I actually managed to stop watching this show after episode 6.
Sounds like I don't miss out on anything, great.

Munsu
Sat, 06-01-2019, 10:47 AM
From all the comments so far, looks like I stopped watching at the right time.

MFauli
Mon, 06-03-2019, 03:51 AM
Last episode was really fun though :D good to see when an anime doesn't just keep teasing a relationship until the very end.

Everyone hiding and watching their love confession was hilarious.

Something that bothers me since the start though: fuck crunchyroll for changing names to random German. They clearly say 'Sicily' and 'Coral', but the subtitle shows "Sizilien' and 'Koralle'. Sigh

Kraco
Mon, 06-03-2019, 04:39 AM
good to see when an anime doesn't just keep teasing a relationship until the very end.

That's indeed true, but it was so super cringy.

MFauli
Mon, 06-03-2019, 08:43 AM
That's indeed true, but it was so super cringy.

It's anime 💁

(Although I'm like that irl, too. Sans having a girl showing interest in me ...)

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-03-2019, 09:05 AM
Maybe you should stop being cringey then. Fake confidence is still better than none.

MFauli
Mon, 06-03-2019, 09:07 AM
Maybe you should stop being cringey then. Fake confidence is still better than none.

First I need to stop being fat 🤷*♀️💀🙈

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-03-2019, 09:12 AM
Dieting and exercise is the solution.

I lost 18 lbs in the past 3 months just by eating less than usual and doing 4 minute workouts every other day. I love eating and hate exercise.

MFauli
Mon, 06-03-2019, 09:18 AM
Dieting and exercise is the solution.

I lost 18 lbs in the past 3 months just by eating less than usual and doing 4 minute workouts every other day. I love eating and hate exercise.

Nice.

I lost 32kg in the past 3 months, but I'm *really* fat, so It's still a long way.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-03-2019, 10:03 AM
WTF!? 32 kilograms in 3 months??? That's about 3 kilograms per month! That's amazing! But how heavy must you be to be able to lose that much and still be fat?

MFauli
Mon, 06-03-2019, 04:13 PM
WTF!? 32 kilograms in 3 months??? That's about 3 kilograms per month! That's amazing!

Thx, It's even 10 kg per month :p

But how heavy must you be to be able to lose that much and still be fat?

:(

Killa-Eyez
Mon, 06-03-2019, 06:05 PM
Nice.

I lost 32kg in the past 3 months, but I'm *really* fat, so It's still a long way.

Dude! Good for you! I've been struggling with my weight also. Becomes really hard to lose a few kg's, let alone 3 a week for 3 months straight! I discovered in march that I have a slow thyroid though, so kinda explains it. Be happy your metabolism is on point! Keep it up!

Sorry about the exclamation marks. :D

MFauli
Thu, 06-06-2019, 08:27 AM
Shin is a lucky bastard 🙈

Also I love how he's creating a whole ream of op characters.

Kraco
Mon, 06-10-2019, 02:13 PM
Episode 9

- - - -

Considering the atmosphere of the last part of the episode, if Sicily was killed in the next episode and the story turned really dark henceforth, this might be a series worth something. Then, in retrospect, you could say all the mushy cliches of the past episodes were just in preparation for that, to make sure the audience was taken by a surprise.

MFauli
Mon, 06-10-2019, 02:47 PM
Episode 9

- - - -

Considering the atmosphere of the last part of the episode, if Sicily was killed in the next episode and the story turned really dark henceforth, this might be a series worth something. Then, in retrospect, you could say all the mushy cliches of the past episodes were just in preparation for that, to make sure the audience was taken by a surprise.

I thought about that, too. But even then, this anime would only be slightly above average.

Kraco
Wed, 06-12-2019, 05:47 PM
Episode 10

- - - -

The Engrish pronunciation makes the name sound even more corny.

I wonder if the author seriously thought giving the boss villain a supposedly tragic backstory would change anything in a story like this?

MFauli
Sat, 06-15-2019, 04:35 AM
I couldn't skip that flashback fast enough.

I liked how they started flying at the end, exactly what I wanted to happen :D

shinta|hikari
Sat, 06-15-2019, 07:30 AM
did anyone die?

MFauli
Wed, 06-26-2019, 06:04 PM
Final episode:

Generic finale for a generic series.

Kraco
Thu, 07-04-2019, 01:01 PM
Yeah, this was certainly as generic as it can get. At least it didn't have slaves.