PDA

View Full Version : Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Pages : [1] 2 3

Munsu
Tue, 04-09-2019, 02:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IpLFq8Ics

* Based on an action fantasy shounen manga by Gotouge Koyoharu.

Since ancient times, rumors have abounded of man-eating demons lurking in the woods. Because of this, the local townsfolk never venture outside at night. Legend has it that a demon slayer also roams the night, hunting down these bloodthirsty demons. For young Tanjirou, these rumors will soon to become his harsh reality...

Ever since the death of his father, Tanjirou has taken it upon himself to support his family. Although their lives may be hardened by tragedy, they've found happiness. But that ephemeral warmth is shattered one day when Tanjirou finds is family slaughtered and the lone survivor, his sister Nezuko, turned into a demon. To his surprise, however, Nezuko still shows signs of human emotion and thought... Thus begins Tanjirou's request to fight demons and turn his sister human again.

Source: Viz Media

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=21101

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba is airing, first episode was good enough for me. Comes from ufotable, so just what you can expect from it, high production value, decent music, good animation (with the caveat of having CGI tolerance).

At the very least, it seems like it'll have good action.

MFauli
Fri, 05-03-2019, 06:04 AM
Ok, this is rather fun to watch. But the super smell is super dumb :/

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-03-2019, 12:15 PM
Interesting use of the water effect, but I hope it doesn't become a trend for anime in general.

Ufotable's gotten better at expressive faces since the last time I checked out their stuff. The CGI is still jarring, but it's not the worst out there.

I wonder how they'll get around the sister problem. She obviously hibernating because she hasn't eaten any humans. We're not told of any substitute food. Slayed demons turn to ashes, so she'll have to be given a fresh one somehow if we're to go down that route.

Eating humans would be a no-go, since this Morphed Demon would suggest to us that the more humans you eat, the less human (and more demonic) you become. The MC may at one stage give her some of his own blood, but that's as far as it'd go.

Ryllharu
Fri, 05-03-2019, 02:32 PM
I thought they said the more humans you eat, the more powerful they become. Some get monstrous, some gain powerful spells. Inhumanity/demonic/deformed isn't a requirement. The many-armed one just was or even chose to be that way.

neflight86
Fri, 05-03-2019, 03:05 PM
Much better than the (generic) first episode led me to believe. The training was surprisingly low key, and the main character doesn't come off as particularly talented or possessing any combat oriented traits (just good "smell"). With confirmed 24 eps, I am confident to settle in for the long haul.

KrayZ33
Sat, 05-04-2019, 12:44 PM
So.. did we get a glimpse at the 5th survivor and I missed it?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-04-2019, 12:55 PM
I didn't see it in the episode. I'm going to guess it's the boar-mask fellow in the OP/ED.

I'm glad the MC was a boss and nearly crushed the guy's wrist. What a dickhead.

KrayZ33
Sat, 05-04-2019, 01:09 PM
It's hard to believe someone like him would put up with demon-slayer training, even if by chance other teachers aren't *that* strict.

neflight86
Sat, 05-04-2019, 03:06 PM
Maybe he's the self taught genius type?

KrayZ33
Sat, 05-04-2019, 03:33 PM
Well, it's just a guess from what we've seen, but it looks like you have to be chosen by a demon slayer to undergo training. And typically, he was suprised by MCs grip... not something I'd expect to happen if he's truely a genius.

I kinda liked the fox mask btw... they look cool, I want MC to wear one again, but this time, to actually hide his face. Though I have to say, that enchantment didn't seem to offer much protection.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-12-2019, 01:32 AM
I really don't like that they're now going with big-boss Demon being the only one to reproduce. The MC can get as hurt and harmed as he wants now without fear of becoming a demon himself.

If it's just the one guy making new demons, then either:

1) He's working overtime producing new demons, or
2) The Demon Slaying Corps slays really low numbers

If it's 1), you'd think that a large organisation would be able to track his movements from town to town and aim to lock him down. The fact that they can't move in sunlight is a huge quarantine and screening advantage for humans.

KrayZ33
Sun, 05-12-2019, 02:50 AM
Ya, I don't like that idea either.
On the other hand, it's rural Japan, he can probably move around and spread the "virus" and before the demon corps knows what's going on, he is already gone again.

I liked the combat in this episode, it looked awesome.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-12-2019, 03:45 AM
I don't like it either, but it does make sense. He's been around for decades at this point, and Japan would have been completely overrun if they could all spread it.

I think the author swung too far in the opposite direction, but they had to deal with it somehow.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Nezuko's muzzle is also largely a gimmick since it serve no real purpose. It doesn't control her bloodlust (if any), and if she wanted to eat someone she has the strength and intelligence to remove it. It's still cute in its own way and might prove to strangers that she willingly wears this as a show of good will (and a way to add visual interest to her character), so fine.

I liked the combat in this episode, it looked awesome.

To add a positive note, I like her kicks. They have no technique to them at all. Just a straight up, brute-force kick. Cute when it needs to be (little jump-kicks as she opens doors), or brutal when it should be.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-12-2019, 03:19 PM
Nezuko's muzzle is also largely a gimmick since it serve no real purpose... and if she wanted to eat someone she has the strength and intelligence to remove it.
You sure? She drools like crazy in berserker mode. It gives her something to bite on, if nothing else.

It serves the same purpose as a piece of wood wrapped in leather. "Bite down on this." [pours iodine on deep wound, prepares bone saw for amputation]

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-12-2019, 10:51 PM
I remember her going out of control during her first encounter with her brother, then drooled like crazy upon seeing the first bloody human corpse (which wasn't her family's) for the first time. We haven't really tested her much since then.. so yeah I guess it's possible for her to go through similar urges all over again.

oyabun
Mon, 05-13-2019, 10:16 AM
I am liking this so far. MC is a mixture of skill, hard work and great physical advantage(his nose). He isn't dumb either. Also Nezuko is so kawaii.

MFauli
Sun, 05-19-2019, 02:13 AM
Another anime that falls apart after a strong beginning. It feels so generic, if not bad, now :/

Issues with this episode:

- what is breathing. I know a lot of anime do a bad job at depicting realistic 'holding your breath underwater', but this was especially bad. "The air at the mountain is thinner!', no it's not you dumbass. The demons didnw even have to attack him, just wait until he runs out of air, THEN attack.

- what exactly was that demon feared of? To be killed by that elder demon? Worked out great, huh? Dumb

- holding a child prevents the hero from attacking the elder demon? Sigh. screw that poor guy who got turned into a demon (and killed for sure) because of that decision. 💁💀

Generally, I'm disappointed what aturn for the ... generic this anime took after the good first episode and the fun training arc. Bummer

KrayZ33
Sun, 05-19-2019, 03:24 AM
Damn, Nezuko looked so cute when MC told her to get back to him. Happy like a dog. SJWs will hate it but god damn... it surely made my day.

Overall this show is amazing. The whole fight was extremely fun to watch.

- holding a child prevents the hero from attacking the elder demon? Sigh. screw that poor guy who got turned into a demon (and killed for sure) because of that decision. ����

what do you mean?

- what exactly was that demon feared of? To be killed by that elder demon? Worked out great, huh? Dumb

It would've been even more dumb if the demon said anything about that guy. That's the biggest issue I have with this show so far. The fact that MC keeps asking the demons about that guy. As if they are obliged to tell him anything, he will kill them anyway, why help him before you die?

But I thought the same.. "what is the demon afraid of?" - and that's exactly what we are supposed to ask ourselves and why that scene existed.

Maybe he got tortured and doesn't want to suffer from whatever happened to him in the past again etc. We'll eventually get more information, it's too soon to judge if that scene was weird or not.

- what is breathing. I know a lot of anime do a bad job at depicting realistic 'holding your breath underwater', but this was especially bad. "The air at the mountain is thinner!', no it's not you dumbass. The demons didnw even have to attack him, just wait until he runs out of air, THEN attack.

Well, it's not like he was swimming in simple water. The demons can breath inside of it too. And "shadows" don't normaly weigh heavily on your body. It's an enviroment created by magic, normal rules don't apply. The demons don't have gills either.

But what I didn't get was the last bit though, because then all of a sudden, he said he couldn't breath. But then again I always thought "I can't breath" in japanese is = ikigadekinai.
Didn't he say "it's painfull" / "It's difficult"? (kurushi)

These are two different things imho. One is basically "I'm out of air" (I'm dying) - the other word is "it's hard/painful (to breathe)" (which is what we already knew and going out of that "swamp" is just logical).

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-19-2019, 07:59 AM
I agree with Krayz's points.

Also, I don't think meeting the final boss this early and having an actual conflict is typical of shounen stories. Most of those take forever to have main heroes and villains meet.

Munsu
Sun, 05-19-2019, 09:00 AM
"The air at the mountain is thinner!', no it's not you dumbass.

Looks like you've never been at high altitudes...

what exactly was that demon feared of? To be killed by that elder demon? Worked out great, huh? Dumb

Yes, it worked out great. He recovered and managed to do another attack, got killed anyways, but not telling was still the right choice in case his last attack worked.

Also, there are things to fear more than death, and we don't know what that demon is capable of.

holding a child prevents the hero from attacking the elder demon? Sigh. screw that poor guy who got turned into a demon (and killed for sure) because of that decision. ����

Generally, I'm disappointed what aturn for the ... generic this anime took after the good first episode and the fun training arc. Bummer

And the problem is? That a rookie Demon Slayer when faced with the big boss who massacred his family and potentially holds the knowledge on how to turn his sister back hesitates because he's confused about his nature? Yeah, that's a BIG problem story wise...

But yeah, let's go find other meaningless little details to complain about to completely discard the series just so you can say "you see, I was right about not wanting to watch this show".

MFauli
Sun, 05-19-2019, 09:13 AM
But yeah, let's go find other meaningless little details

Thx for being the authority on what's 'meaningless little' and what's not ...

KrayZ33
Sun, 05-19-2019, 09:25 AM
I agree with Krayz's points.

Also, I don't think meeting the final boss this early and having an actual conflict is typical of shounen stories. Most of those take forever to have main heroes and villains meet.

Rofl...I'm like "what are you guys talking about"

Now I know what Mfauli meant.. I stopped watching at around 16:13 because for some reason I thought this weeks episode is over when it faded into black.

I even missed sleepy-let-me-drag-you-along-Nezuko, unforgivable!

Considering what we saw there however it's/it would be actually pretty clever to NOT attack the demon, unless you want Tokyo to completely demonize. As far as I'm concerned, this is exactly what the demon wanted to show off to him.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-19-2019, 01:07 PM
I totally didn't expect the meet up with Muzan so soon. I'm pleasantly surprised.

re: "I can't breathe"
-He used up his energy/breath performing the attack. I thought that was appropriate.

re: "fear"
-it's an emotional response drilled into him as opposed to a rational one. Neither decision is a good survival strategy, but Muzan was the scarier of the two.

Munsu
Sun, 05-19-2019, 11:37 PM
Thx for being the authority on what's 'meaningless little' and what's not ...

You've made your bed, now lie on it.

KrayZ33
Sun, 06-02-2019, 02:12 PM
Episode 9

that fight was both great and weird at the same time.
Really nice performance overall though, all that dodging, slashing, moving around - it was pleasant to look at

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-02-2019, 02:48 PM
Yoshiro double-backing when he disappointed Tamayo was hilarious.

Nezuko losing her leg to the ball was pretty brutal, and so in character for her actually.

Incoming AOE spell from Tamayo next episode.

I'm loving the interval comedic moments as well as the uplifting ending segments at the end. It helps keep this show light hearted.

MFauli
Sun, 06-02-2019, 04:46 PM
The arrows are so dumb though. Both the ones in his eyes and the ones he attacks with. It's ... literall arrows as you'd see them in text books or wherever :/

Couldn't they make it a more sensical shape?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-02-2019, 07:32 PM
There's nothing more logical than arrows though lol. It is simple and easy to understand. And this is not medieval Japan, so they certainly know about arrow symbols.

This show is reminding me of HxH in that the powers of the demons make no fucking sense. They just... are the way they are.

@Buff - That was the best part of the episode. "It was a joke!"

The animation and choreography is superb. I usually hate scenes where people just dodge around, but this was art.

Ryllharu
Mon, 06-03-2019, 06:29 PM
Are they really real arrows though? Or just demonic representation of vectors? It's not like Tamayo summons literal flowers. She overwhelms human senses. Yoshiro used his own powers over vision to grant him the ability to see the vectors.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 06-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Well, the arrogant dood specifically said arrows when he tipped protag off.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-09-2019, 02:27 PM
Episode 10

------------------------------

That was a great conclusion to this arc. Comedic moments, heart-warming moments, action segments.. all of it.

It'll be kind of hard to find each other again if Tamayo still intends to perfect her serum for Nezuko however. What happened to "collecting blood for Tamayo"?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-09-2019, 03:40 PM
He can just keep collecting the blood. They must be special in that they don't spoil. One day, they can meet again.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-09-2019, 05:12 PM
But... blood spoils super quickly..

I'll have to suspend my disbelief superhard for that one.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-09-2019, 05:15 PM
Demons regenerate their heads, but somehow their blood not spoiling is unbelievable?

MFauli
Sun, 06-09-2019, 09:33 PM
So why isn't the blood vanishing just like the rest of the killed demons, including their splattered everywhere blood?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-09-2019, 11:17 PM
Because the protag needs to collect them, duh. Just like how Killua has an undeclared sister that can cure Gon when no one else can.

MFauli
Mon, 06-10-2019, 03:50 AM
Because the protag needs to collect them, duh. Just like how Killua has an undeclared sister that can cure Gon when no one else can.

A previously unknown sister is maybe lame, but physically possible.
Collecting blood that was shown to evaporize is ... how? 🤷*♀️🤔

KrayZ33
Mon, 06-10-2019, 03:56 AM
Maybe it doesn't disappear in a syringe and only when exposed to the enviroment?

Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch for me

Munsu
Sat, 06-15-2019, 12:47 PM
Episode 11:

The moment I've been dreading, the "introduction" of Zenitsu... what a terrible character to have on this show.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-15-2019, 01:30 PM
Someone kill him already.

KrayZ33
Sat, 06-15-2019, 01:57 PM
What a piece of shit, I'll have trouble watching this series from now on. Went from best show to insufferable with the introduction of one character.

Too bad Tanjrio doesn't own that sparrow. Would've fit him a lot better

Ryllharu
Sat, 06-15-2019, 06:54 PM
There are very few characters voiced by Shimono Hiro that I can tolerate. This is by far one of the worst.

MFauli
Sun, 06-16-2019, 05:00 AM
Then I'm sorry that I like him a lot :/

A bit disappointed that the kids went inside. I had hope for them to be attacked, only for Nezuko to save them in.a badass manner :o

Edit: wow, didnt see the other page. lol. I really think my taste in anime is different to most here :D

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-16-2019, 07:54 AM
I mean you like Ranta, so I expected this.

MFauli
Sun, 06-16-2019, 12:25 PM

Oh no, Ranta liked boobs, Ranta baaaaad 🐧🤦*♀️

KrayZ33
Sun, 06-16-2019, 01:11 PM

Ranta, compared to this abomination of a "character", is pretty damn okay.
This new character is even more annoying than the Black Clover MC.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-16-2019, 03:11 PM
Oh no, Ranta liked boobs, Ranta baaaaad 臘*♀️

LOL .

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-16-2019, 06:33 PM
A bit disappointed that the kids went inside. I had hope for them to be attacked, only for Nezuko to save them in.a badass manner :o

Now Nezuko can save everyone inside the house by busting shit down from the outside.. assuming the sun comes down.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 06-20-2019, 07:21 PM
Also got bored and watched all of this. Pretty early on in what seems like a decent shounen anime so far.

MFauli
Sat, 06-22-2019, 03:08 PM
Episode 12:

Yeah, I still like that guy :p

On a general note: I feel like the same story would be so much better if the presentation wasn't so ..generic/lame. The fight at the end had a nice epic feeling to it, but it's all countered be the average presentation/animation.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-23-2019, 05:30 AM
It's all good for water to have many forms and shit, but let's see how that helps you out when your injuries make you completely fucked.

Boar-head's swords are super effective against flesh, but they'll get wrecked against anything hard - like armour or other weapons. Interestingly they made the demon disappear, which means they're the same "anti demon metal" as the other guys'.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 06-23-2019, 12:56 PM
Yeah, as cool as it is for a character to have a "drunk Rock Lee" moment, it's not worth putting up with that character for the rest of the time just to get to those moments.

I still can't decide if Boar-guy is a demon, or just a guy wearing a boar skin.

MFauli
Sun, 06-23-2019, 04:04 PM
It's a boar wearing a guy-skin. 💁*♂️

Munsu
Sun, 06-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Yeah, that move from Zenitsu was quite awesome... not sure if it's worth putting up with him otherwise.

Not a fan of the show introducing so much comedy and lightheartedness since a few episodes ago.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-23-2019, 11:45 PM
Hypothesis: "lighting breathing" is a high energy moves that taps into all the stress that annoying-guy builds up etc etc.

I'd love to see a brief 5 min training arc flashback for this guy where his master has figured this out, and literally just pushes him over the limit during every training session just to unlock Serious Mode for real training afterwards.

neflight86
Tue, 06-25-2019, 07:01 AM
I also enjoy scaredy-boy. Its a good balance out against "good main character", "crazy wanna fight everyone guy", and "edgy Bakugo type person" that we've seen so far.

I thought the fight was animated pretty well with the room spinning, and all. About the best use of CG you could expect from a TV series.

MFauli
Sat, 06-29-2019, 05:27 PM
Episode13:

Ha, I knew he was best boy

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-29-2019, 07:52 PM
Respect for Lighting dude.

The syringe-knife and delivery cat was super amazing.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-30-2019, 09:26 PM
He was best boy. I was mistaken.

Fuck you Tanjiro. Why did you have to shake in anger while your sister's savior is getting beaten to a pulp!? At least speak up to stop the violence.

I hope Tanjiro knocks some sense into this pork dood.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 06-30-2019, 10:54 PM
He was best boy. I was mistaken.

Fuck you Tanjiro. Why did you have to shake in anger while your sister's savior is getting beaten to a pulp!? At least speak up to stop the violence.

Right? I was so disappointed when all that shaking and buildup only resulted in a loud yell.

Like, at least turn that rage into a charged sword slash or something.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-30-2019, 11:00 PM
I didn't need the shaking. Just call out to stop it. Heck, they might even be able to talk it out.

neflight86
Mon, 07-01-2019, 06:35 AM
Last scene was him leaping at pork man, though, so action is being taken?

MFauli
Mon, 07-01-2019, 09:54 AM

But after how much time just watching dumbfonded?

Reminded me a bit of Gantz:
"Shoot, Kato!"
"Shoot, Kato,"
10 min. pass.
"Here, Kei-kun, you shoot him."
"Shoot, Kurono!"
10 min. pass
Kurono shoots
Episode over

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-01-2019, 12:41 PM

I see two ways to build up these types of scenes:

Method 1:

-Pig hits wife.
-say "stop that" immediately (shows immediate retaliation / efforts to stop assailant)
-Pig says "nah" or keeps going.
-Repeat "stop that a few times perhaps".
-Pig keeps going.
-"I SAID STOOOOOOOOOOP" (afterwards will now intervene defensively against further abuse, escalates appropriately)

Method 2

-Pig hits wife.
-MC grits teeth and silently shakes fist, eyes would be omitted during portrait camera shot.
-Pig keeps hitting, maybe laughs, wife cowers and makes a sad sound.
-MC grits more teeth and shakes some more.
-Pig laughs and beats harder.
-MC explodes and does something violently harmful towards Pig.

Here:
-shakes and shakes more..
-"Hey, stop that".

Either build up towards something big, or have him escalate gradually. This had him build up to weaksauce. That's my beef.

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-14-2019, 05:12 AM
Episode 15:

this episode had some really nice looking 3d Animation scenes.

The short first person pov scene looked great, and that pig-man's detection ability too.

The great thing about the latter was that you could tell it's some kind of "sonar" simply by how they animated the detection process.
That was expertly done in my opinion. (it doesn't explain WHY he can do it, but nonetheless, that was neat)

DarthEnderX
Sun, 07-14-2019, 12:52 PM
I'm assuming he's got one super-sense since that seems to be a thing with the Demon Slayers. Tanjiro has super smell, Zenitsu has super hearing, etc.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-14-2019, 06:57 PM
I still can't get over the part where Zenitsu was legitimately attempting to hide behind an 8 year old girl because he felt threatened.

He was annoying when he was introduced. Then he got worse. Then he shows his secret badassery with both the super hearing and the one move. But hiding behind a little girl is so wrong it's actually funny. He's such a loser it turns around to become endearing.

Plus I like his sparrow. Way more than the crow.

MFauli
Sat, 07-27-2019, 03:41 PM
Episode 17:

That was a nice Rock Lee-moment. :D Well presented, I loved when he powered up with lightning aura.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 07-28-2019, 03:32 AM
This entire character is just "What if worst character ever was Drunk Rock Lee every fight".

Buffalobiian
Sun, 07-28-2019, 05:45 AM
Sparrow should have died. Zenitsu totally zapped Sparrow when he went Lightning Form.

Still, it was pretty cool. He actually opened his eyes for some time during this move, hopefully suggesting that he'll be able to use this more consciously from now on. He'll still need a motivational booster because that's who he is, but at least he won't have to pass out.

MFauli
Sun, 07-28-2019, 06:21 AM
Sparrow should have died. Zenitsu totally zapped Sparrow when he went Lightning Form. .

:(

This is my biggest fear: one of the birds dying. Pls don't 🙈😿

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-29-2019, 06:18 AM
Oh. That pocket watch is also wrong. Mechanical watches didn't tick by the second. That's a quartz thing.

Munsu
Sat, 08-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Episode 18:

Caught up after falling behind a few episodes. was struggling for a bit since they changed directions halfway through the series with adding a lot of silly comedic moments.

Anyways, should be obvious who one of the 12th is at this point, and it's not the father... though he was a beast.

Zenitsu is still the most annoying fuck there is in the series, just the same he has the coolest scene. Just not sure if it's enough to put of with him until those come along.

And what's the deal with the series giving us ZERO Nezuko? Part of the charm of this series was going to be Tanjiro traveling with her demon sister, but there's barely been any show of the series biggest draw in Nezuko thoughout it. Makes little sense to me.

MFauli
Sat, 08-03-2019, 06:45 PM
Ugh, that last scene had me flinch back irl. Omg, such a nasty attack. Resisent Evil 1-movie lasers in thread-form 🙈

I wonder if Inosuke's skull was broken or damaged otherwise. Consie he was revealed as a bishounen, it'd make a nice contrast. And damn, I felt bad for him. Hope he gets some power upgrade soon.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-04-2019, 08:44 PM
Their magic swords are shit!

KrayZ33
Mon, 08-05-2019, 02:09 AM
Their magic swords are shit!

I actually thought the same, lol.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-07-2019, 02:46 PM
Fifty bucks says Nezuko jumps out of his backpack to help them both avoid that wire.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 08-07-2019, 08:38 PM
I mean, that should be the obvious thing, yes.

In fact, it's weird she hasn't gotten involved in this at all up to this point. It's not like he hasn't been having a rough time already while she's been napping.

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-10-2019, 04:05 PM
Episode 19

----------------

God damn!

I've hated Rui this whole time, since he's so annoying and arrogant, and halfway through this episode I was starting to wonder when this arc would finally end. No surprises anywhere, right up until the climax.

Which...holy shit!

At first it seems like a total ass-pull, power up out of nowhere. Convenient background backfill out of nowhere. Oh, so Tanjiro's family had their own secret breathing technique...bad writing...right? But still visually amazing.

Then the dots start to connect...

Nezuko is a mountain demon (oni of the traditional Japanese flavor), basically, so of course she has some sort of hellfire. She gets bigger or smaller at will, fangs and claws and all that good stuff. No issues there.

Previous demons have been enraged at seeing Tanjiro's earrings. Which are family heirlooms. No surprise there, there's some history or relation to demon slayers in the past.

The ass-pull is that it seems like the whole father thing and fire breathing technique is bullshit created on the fly for a power up.

Then I connected the effect shown when he strikes Rui's neck and it blasts out the backside. It wasn't some fire/water fusion. It was exploding sparks. Like what comes out of a strong crackling fire. But not a regular wood fire. Tanjiro's family are charcoal dealers back in episode 1. The setup has been there the whole time.

The only downside is that it looks like next episode is more of Rui's backstory. I don't give a shit. The annoying little fuck can stay dead. Let's move on to his headless fake sister and get out of the woods once and for all.

MFauli
Sat, 08-10-2019, 04:37 PM
We movie quality now? :o

The new jutsu definitely felt like an asspull, no matter what subtle hints there might have been. BUT it was presented in such epic manner that I dont care.

Reminded me a bit of "that" episode of ReZero when the quality and drama made a huge jump upwards in terms of quality for just one episode. Even got the whole "music fades into the ending" thing.

This anime Startes out strong, then fell into a slump, but has now gotten really great for the past 5-6 episodes. Nice turnaround.

Munsu
Sat, 08-10-2019, 05:28 PM
Wow, even if the whole series were pure shit, it would've been worth it just to see this episode. I got goosebumps watching it.

I'll ignore the nonsense aspects of the episode for the time being, don't want to ruin the mood.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-10-2019, 05:50 PM
What an amzing episode - so beautiful to look at.
Edit:

And Beast dude is such a cool battle-buddy too. I kinda like his style.

Munsu
Sat, 08-10-2019, 06:24 PM
I forgot to mention, so glad that a character voiced by Hayami Saori was introduced. Big fan.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-10-2019, 06:41 PM
Episode 19

At first it seems like a total ass-pull, power up out of nowhere. Convenient background backfill out of nowhere. Oh, so Tanjiro's family had their own secret breathing technique...bad writing...right? But still visually amazing.

To be fair - the (demon slayer) heritage has been hinted at. Muzan has a personal grudge against those earrings. (the exact same ones even)

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-10-2019, 07:28 PM
I like that you failed to read the entire remainder of my post.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-11-2019, 01:06 AM
This episode was rad as shit!

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-11-2019, 04:18 AM
I like that you failed to read the entire remainder of my post.

Nah.
Just overlooked the earring part.

It's just that the Demon Slayer heritage was rather obvious. So it never really was something "hidden" to me that required someone to connect dots and it was the first thing that came into mind when that intermission scene was being played.
I'm saying, they literally showed a picture of a Demon Slayer wearing those earrings - basically screaming "There once was a high ranked (since he nearly killed Muzan) individual who had the exact same set".
That's why I mentioned it, not knowing that you basically excluded that of the "convinient"-background backfill with that one sentence.

^
edit: holy - that took me more tries to correct/edit than I thought, because it kept sounding like I'm saying that you didn't mention it

This episode was rad as shit!

That episode is basically the reason why I still watch anime to this day. Not exaggerating here. I loved the whole thing.
I also loved how Rui was animated during the small "chase" when he backed away from Tanjiro.
With his glowing eyes during the night in the middle of the woods, he still managed to look creepy and demonic even so he was so far in the background. I'd imagine that you could make hundreds of wallpapers out of the whole fight (if you are a fan of the series) if you pimp up the resolution some more.

https://imgur.com/gU2v4ed

just like this one - snipped out directly out of the scene.

edit edit:

Oh wow, I just noticed only now, after looking at the fight again - his scar on the forehead has changed. I always thought it was just "bloodied" and opened up or something but it isn't. It really changed from a "burn" to something else that is more similar to a tatoo.
His father has had the same mark too, not the tatoo version, but the "burn"-version.
Did they specifally mention it somewhere and I forgot? By the looks of it - it changed after he got it patched up post final-selection.

MFauli
Sun, 08-11-2019, 05:20 AM
Fantastic animaton and sound aside, I love the scenes where a clearly weaker character overwhelms a clearly stronger opponent (as long as it's not too bs). Usually when a hero fights a villain, the villain seems to havw the upperhand, but you can see that theres a chance for success. This was not the case here. More than once during this fight I was expecting someone to save him, be that Nezuko or, after she got caught, those uber demon slayers. But that didnt happen ... and Tanjiro pulled through!

Other such scenes from other anime would be Gon vs Pitou or Rock Lee vs Gaara (even though he loses in the end). Also Kuririn pulling some punches against evil Puccolo at the end of Dragon Ball (not Z).

MFauli
Sun, 08-11-2019, 07:24 AM
Btw after rewatching: The bigger asspull wasnt Tanjirus new skill - having that flashback of his dad can be explained by "people see their entire flashing beforw their eyes before a deadly hit".

What cant be eyplained is how ghost-mama woke up Nezuko ��*♀️

neflight86
Sun, 08-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Fun episode and great animation, but I have to fall on the side of feeling like this was too much pulled for too little foreshadowed. Even during the fight, I was thinking it was a silly power upgrade that came out of nowhere.

It worked for the story's purposes, though, and everyone enjoyed the fight, so what do I know?

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-11-2019, 12:33 PM
I love the scenes where a clearly weaker character overwhelms a clearly stronger opponent (as long as it's not too bs).I prefer the ones where the one character assumes the other character is clearly weaker, but then as soon as the fight starts they're like "Oh shit, I fucked up!"

Happens in One Piece a lot. Probably because Luffy looks like a bum.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-12-2019, 04:05 AM
The main issue is that these are "breathing techniques". In traditional Chinese martial arts sense there's the inner art (directions on breathing, what you focus on etc as you move) and the outer arts (actual physical moves and postures you assume). You can't learn inner art from just watching a dance. You need to be taught it, or self-realise it through practice and error.

In other words, emulating someone's moves without emulating their state of mind, breathing or focus doesn't yield the same results. The fact that we didn't get any training of breathing techniques from dad prior to this - then be able to pull off practical Fire God moves is the stretch.

Overall though, I don't actually mind. I was spoiled into knowing that he obtains this technique at some point, but I had no idea how or when.

And Nezuko-mama isn't that bad. She's just dreaming.

From what I've heard, ufotable handled the foreshadowing a lot better than the manga as well.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-12-2019, 08:22 AM
There was training. The dad taught him the breathing techniques and the dance. It was explicitly mentioned (not sure if it was translated well enough in the subtitles) that his dad told him to keep practicing both, no matter what.

The asspull part is the fact that we were never shown this training prior to it being mentioned this episode, especially because he didn't seem to know anything about breathing techniques until mask-sensei taught him.

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-12-2019, 03:40 PM
I think it is because Tanjiro didn't think to connect the two until now. His father taught him breathing techniques for dancing. Ones that would let him perform ceremonies in the cold air for very prolonged periods of time. He learned fighting separately and for short bursts of movement.

He should have mentioned it back on the training mountain. The thin air, the breathing techniques. His frail father, breathing techniques.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-12-2019, 11:40 PM
The asspull part is the fact that we were never shown this training prior to it being mentioned this episode, especially because he didn't seem to know anything about breathing techniques until mask-sensei taught him.

The translation said this: "Tanjiro, if nothing else make sure this kagura and these earings get passed down to you uninterrupted. That's what I promised."

The logical thing for me is to assume that a single word is missing from "if nothing else I'll make sure..." rather than assume the rest of the line required multiple changes instead.

All that meant to me was that his father intended to pass it on. Whether he did or didn't before he died was an unknown, and all I could see what that Tanjiro had observed some movement.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-12-2019, 11:43 PM
He actually said that these things should be inherited no matter what. So yes, Tanjirou did practice and inherit them.

I just wish I knew about that 10 episodes ago.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-12-2019, 11:51 PM
He actually said that these things should be inherited no matter what. So yes, Tanjirou did practice and inherit them.

I just wish I knew about that 10 episodes ago.

I made some edits without knowing you posted.

So you're saying that Dad asked Tanjiro to pass these things on, and we're assuming that it was adequately taught from Dad to Tanjiro?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-12-2019, 11:53 PM
Yes. .

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-12-2019, 11:58 PM
Very well.

Then if that's the case, the weird part comes down to Tanjiro not connecting the two earlier, as said earlier.

The very fact that he pulled it out now is also contentious, since Tanjiro only knows that Fire breathing gives him endurance. Endurance wasn't his issue. He needed power to cut through the red strings, and there's no reason for him to assume that Hinokami Kagura would provide that.

As a last ditch effort anything goes, but there's no good reason for Tanjiro to think Fire dancing should give him heightened destructive powers, if that thought went through his mind at all.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-13-2019, 06:47 AM
As a last ditch effort anything goes

This. He basically threw whatever he could and got lucky Nezuko blood bombed that shitty kid.

KrayZ33
Tue, 08-13-2019, 02:51 PM
As a last ditch effort anything goes, but there's no good reason for Tanjiro to think Fire dancing should give him heightened destructive powers, if that thought went through his mind at all.

I don't think Tanjiro thought anything at all.

The scene was portrayed as him almost admitting defeat and accepting death. He had his life flash before his eye, that mosaic scene, out of *everything* that was shown there in that mosaic - his water breathing training, the ghost-children near his teachers house in the hills, the grandmother telling him about demons, the fights he already had etc. etc. etc. - he remembered his father, a man so frail he could barely stand or work (probably, by the looks of it). Yet with his breathing, he was able to overcome an obstacle that would've been *impossible* to do under normal circumstances, especially for him.
That's exactly what happened here too. He remembered the dance, the breathing, his frail father during a very strong moment and the way to overcome an obstacle that would otherwise be impossible to overcome or achieve feats that would otherwise seem impossible to achieve. - that's why he used it, most likely intuitively. I really doubt any of this was evaluated properly or even calculated.

He just... "remembered"

MFauli
Sat, 08-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Episode 20:

Theyre too op, dont like it at all. If the guy can finish one of the 12 this easily, whats stopping him from easy victory? :/ And the breathing is dumb. I can see how breathing relates to sword slashes. But he just stood there and the threads kept bouncing off his skin. So breathing gives you a shield? Uhuh ....

The flashback was boring, nobody needed that. It was obvious from the beginnung why a demon would create family members.

Lastly, I hate the whole "cute girl acting cute, but is actually a capable killer".

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-17-2019, 01:44 PM
Uh.....Okay.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 08-17-2019, 02:33 PM
Theyre too op, dont like it at all. If the guy can finish one of the 12 this easily, whats stopping him from easy victory?Gonna agree with this. If this high ranking slayer was more even with one of the 12, then it'd be fine. But he won instantly and effortlessly.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-17-2019, 03:14 PM
Well, Tanjiro already defeated and killed an ex-moon.

And Water-expert dude (Giyu?) has eleven forms, while Tanjiro's trainer only knew 10, or rather - there were no more than 10 before he created the 11th form. So he is basically the boss of the water style.

If he weren't that strong, this show would be stupid and get boring soon, considering that Tanjiro only trained for like 3 years or so, while the others did for a decade...or decades, yet he already managed to defeat someone who Muzan thought worthy to give a special title at some point

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-17-2019, 03:22 PM
You might also want to consider that out of the twelve active ones that exist, the only Moon-tier demons we've seen are all in the lower half, and an expelled Lower 6 and the current Lower 5.

The lost kid ripped one of the drums out of the ex-Lower 6, so Tanjiro and team had a much easier time than they could have.

I imagine that the Upper six are exponentially stronger, since they can handle more and more of Muzan's blood. Muzan can also make an endless number of newbie demons, and apparently even at a moment's notice. It takes years of training to bring up a demon slayer, and who the hell knows how long it takes to replace a hashira if one of them dies.

The demon slayers probably have no chance against Muzan directly as it stands, because it only take a single cut from him to convert an attacker into one of his spawn.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-17-2019, 08:49 PM
I find it hilarious that this typical shounen story is being criticized for being... well, a typical shounen story.

Don't worry guys, the other enemies ranked above this white kid are going to be way stronger and (more than) a match for the elites. How do I know? Because this is a typical shounen story.

LOL.

It's almost like no one has ever watched any anime here before.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-18-2019, 01:29 AM
Even in the context of "this is shounen anime" it doesn't work.

The Twelve are basically this series' version of the Akatsuki. Or the Espada.

This would be like if one of the Jounins or Squad Captains just appeared and one-shot an Akatsuki or an Espada.

In Naruto or Bleach, those encounters would have still been FIGHTS. Because otherwise, the whole group loses it's entire sense of menace.

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-18-2019, 02:20 AM
They aren't Jounins though, they are Hashiras. That's basically Hokage Rank ... unless each breath style has multiple "pillars" (hashira) - which I doubt because the name simply wouldn't fit and they are not even mentioned in the 10 ranks when the puppets spoke about the hierachy after the trial.

It's also not really the same, because Akatsuki are a group of super special individuals.
We don't know how special the moons are as it's already shown that Muzan basically demotes and promotes whenever he sees fit and it's probably only related on how much blood or how many humans they've eaten.
And on top of that, if the Yellow Flash or Madara would've fought most of the crew, with the exception of maybe Pain (or Tobi), it wouldn't have been much of a fight either, if a fight at all - the powercurve in those longer anime's is rather absurd anyway and changes whenever for the most random reason.

But that is not all, we saw Rui's vision and it was already blurry as hell, so he might've been exhausted.

All we know is that they are more powerful than normal demons "on the street", yet we have no information about the difference in power inside the group itself.
It's probably similar to the Arrow and Ball demons that were kinda special? They did follow Muzan's direct orders yet even somone with the lowest rank inside the Corps (Tanjiro) was able to defeat them.

From what we've seen so far, I think it's wrong to see the Twelve as a group similar to Akatsuki.
We don't know how many of the "Twelve" have been defeated in the last 300 years, we don't even know how quickly they are replaced, we can only guess that it doesn't take long because otherwise Muzan wouldn't demote them just because they couldn't grow further.
As far as I understood it, they aren't the "Twelve Moons" because they are the strongest demons on the planet, they are the "Twelve Moons" because Muzan gave them some of his blood (as his blood seems to transform the cells of the individual recieving it) or an ample amount of human bodies to eat - making them stronger than they originally were... and they might work under Muzan's direct orders due to this, while most of the other demons do not.
That's why Tanjiro has to hunt them for the cure to Nezuko's transformation because after all they have the blood of Muzan inside of them I guess(?)

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-18-2019, 03:44 AM
And on top of that, if the Yellow Flash or Madara would've fought most of the crew, with the exception of maybe Pain (or Tobi), it wouldn't have been much of a fight either, if a fight at allYeah, which is why Naruto never had Minato fight any of those characters. Because it would have completely undermined the group as antagonists to be feared, just like this show just did.

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-18-2019, 04:31 AM
Yet it undermined the strength of the good guys to the point were you would question yourself what chuunin or jounin are even worth.

It's pointless to have fancy titles and them telling you "oh Elite Ninjas are super powerful" - yet they can barely throw a kunai and get defeated by the enemy in a single swing. (see great Ninja War at the end of the series)

So at most, it's just the other way around.
Considering Muzan can create new demons at will, it doesn't really help that you have such powerful Demon Slayers in the corps if they can't catch Muzan himself. The demons are still able to create havoc and kill lower ranked members with ease - reducing the numbers of veterans in the process to the point where one might not even get "another" Hashira since the students keep on dying during their hunts. Demons seem to live on forever, humans do not, they have to retire (and we've already seen a retired demon slayer).

This scene basically showed me that the "Hokage" of Kimetsu no Yaiba are actually doing things instead of sitting at home being "the strongest ninja of the village". Yet at the same time it's rather obvious that they are the exception in terms of power

MFauli
Sun, 08-18-2019, 05:00 AM
Yeah, which is why Naruto never had Minato fight any of those characters. Because it would have completely undermined the group as antagonists to be feared, just like this show just did.

Agreed. Naruto btw. DID a bad job when Sasuke beat Deidara. It undermined the, up to that point, overwhelming aura pf Akatsuki. Before you had Kakuzu and Hidan beat in a tough battle, requiring many top heroes, one even dying. Sakura had the help of the person who creates puppets to defeat Sasori. It made kinda sense. And then Sasuke pwned an Akatsuki, made him even feel scared :/

Kimetsu now has very distorted "power levels". We can, ofx, speculate that this was the weakest of the 12, but the way he was beaten effortlessly was simply too crass imo. And he probably didnt even need his 11 breathing, he was superior in speed, strength alone.

Honestly, my favorable guess is that both these slayers are human-demon hybrids. Maybe drunk some demon blood, but kept it to a level thats not fatal. Would be a more satisfying explanation than "well. Duh, they just underwent harsher training"

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-18-2019, 05:09 AM
All we know is that they are more powerful than normal demons "on the street", yet we have no information about the difference in power inside the group itself.
It's probably similar to the Arrow and Ball demons that were kinda special? They did follow Muzan's direct orders yet even somone with the lowest rank inside the Corps (Tanjiro) was able to defeat them.
Muzan took two fairly new demons, pumped them up with a little of his blood, and told them they were Twelve Moons, when they 100% weren't. He lied to them. Their only purpose was to hunt Tanjiro and Tamayo because he had just encountered them both on the street.

That's how quickly he can make new demons that can give trained and experienced slayers trouble.

@MFauli:
No. The Hashira are just those demon slayers who have survived this long and trained to such extreme lengths to the point that they are actually consistently useful. They're the upper ranks of the slayers. They're all human. Tanjiro would have smelled something if Tomioka wasn't. Urokodaki was one too, same thing, Tanjiro would have noticed.
The regular ones survive the night on the mountain, maybe kill some new and weak demons, and they're in.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-18-2019, 11:45 AM
Yet it undermined the strength of the good guys to the point were you would question yourself what chuunin or jounin are even worth.Yeah, and if I want there to be any tension in the series, the good guys seeming too week is infinitely preferable to the bad guys seeming that way.

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-18-2019, 11:50 AM
But the bad guy nearly killed MC and for once, a much stronger ally came to the rescue.
You make it sound as if there is no longer any danger, but that's absolutely not the case.

This is the powerline

Weaker-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Stronger
----Regular Demons-----Tanjiro --------Rui/(some)Moons-------------Giyu/(------)Muzan(------)

nothing else. Doesn't look like a problem to me.

MFauli
Sun, 08-18-2019, 12:37 PM
But ... Tanjiro already has a fully traunes body. How do you train to go fromm there to effortlessly killing a higher demon?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-18-2019, 12:44 PM
There is no such thing as a "fully" trained protagonist (and also a lot of characters) in shounen anime.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-18-2019, 12:51 PM
I think the one thing we can all agree on is that a demon slayer's power isn't determined by their rank, but by the distinctiveness of their kimono.

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-18-2019, 01:16 PM
But ... Tanjiro already has a fully traunes body. How do you train to go fromm there to effortlessly killing a higher demon?

what do you mean?

Zenitsu has perfected the first form - can't do any of the others, yet it looks like he has that form down to it's fullest, probably to a level of a master even.
Tanjiro can do most/all 10 forms of his style (he was just shown a new one, the 11ths) but didn't "master" any of it. He just found a new way to enhance those with his Kagura style too.
There are plenty of ways for them to improve.

He trained for 2 years, what do you think will happen over the next 10 to 20? He'd obviously advance and train these techniques to their fullest potential. And that's where Giyu is currently at or at least the direction he is going to.

How old is Tanjiro again? Was it mentioned somewhere? He is no older than 17.

neflight86
Sun, 08-18-2019, 05:00 PM
This kind of discussion is where my passion lies...

Shounen power scaling... truly a mysterious art that is required to harmonize with the tone, scope, and theme of a shounen for it to dare step into the pantheon of great shounen anime.

As I see it, there are four important factors in long for conflict/battle driven manga to present interesting progression and conflict: Properly paced strength scaling, Revelation of Scope, power interactions, and poignant power revelations.

Being long form stories, shounen has a very real 'power ceiling' that, once passed, just becomes boring, ala DragonBall. If the numbers just keep increasing but the basic 'gameplay' doesn't change, fights stagnate with simply bigger explosions. Kimetsu is somewhat average in this department, as recent shounen have moved away from flat numeric systems to represent power and typically favor more general rankings based systems. The hashira are understandably impressive, but revealing their prowess this early sets a soft limiter on how impressive the other nine ranks can be while maintaining continuity. The same goes for the other 12 high class demons, however they are easier to retrofit into being stronger or weaker as needed by the story conceits thus far. This creates some burden on the author if they plan to explore the other ranks, as viewers (especially young WSJ readers) are ill equipped to tell apart a very nuanced differentiation of power levels like this, meaning more exposition will be necessary down the line.

This battle also served to set some scope. This is actually the most difficult one to get wrong (which is why I am the most harsh critically of Fairy Tale - because it screwed this up royally) among shounens. Giving the audience a taste of coming distractions and where the hero is headed is great for re-invigorating hype; especially earlier in a series. Again though, the author played his big cards very early, and while this can work (Mihawk in One Piece), it still created a storytelling burden where future characters will likely be compared to the heights of what we have experienced, and that reduces their potential impact on the audience. We've seen the best, so what else could impress us aside from the final villain? From what I hear, Bleach suffered from this as well. Did the author do this as a desperation move to preserve rankings in WSJ, or are they planning on a shorter tale that doesn't need to 'save' high rank character reveals until later? They are a precious limited resource to a WSJ mangaka, so I expect it is more the former...

The power interactions were a mixed bag. On the one hand, modern shounen has largely attempted to sidestep generic 'strength' in determining battles and has taken a page from Jojo in having more clever application of powers deciding battles versus 'strength versus strength'. The split I would guess to be around 50/50. That was largely missing from this battle tactically, but represented fairly well in the animation and choreography, so I don't have any real complaints. Series like Shoukugeki no Souma are entirely built on this, as well as most sports shounen. My Hero Academia also emphasizes this, as well as HxH, and arguably the best (early) portions of Naruto.

The power reveal and relation is the only strong criticism I have for this fight. Like I said, the foreshadowing was paltry (mid-fight flashback) and the power up felt unnecessary, especially since he was saved by the Hashira anyway. It was flashy and exciting, but it didn't have the emotional impact that the best kinds of battles do. For a demonstration of this done right, I would suggest the original Dempsey Roll reveal in Hajime no Ippo. To be fair, Kimetsu didn't have (or take) the time to build this up as much before springing it on us.

Some of these 'compromises' might be due to the compacted format this show has been produced in. UFOtable isn't a long running show producer, so they may be trying to cram in as much source material as possible into its run, showcasing instead its beautiful animation. Still a solid watch, though.

MFauli
Sun, 08-18-2019, 06:41 PM
Hm, I wouldnt complain about Tanjiro being saved by the hashira guy, even after getting a power up. It was meant to evoke desperation, like "omg, the hero gave it his all, but even that wasnt enough!". Worked for me.

Btw thats why HXH remains the best shounem. Even now the manga has no issues with power ceilings and recelations, because abilities are set up in such clever fashion that one steong character can never be sure Theres not gonna be some freak ability with another character. Also Dark Continent could introduce a whole new power system, but thats more my personal hope.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-18-2019, 08:57 PM
I would have been okay with it if A. he hadn't won effortlessly, or B. Tanjiro had actually noticeably wounded the demon first, and the other guy was basically just finishing the guy off because Tanjiro couldn't.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-18-2019, 10:08 PM
It's hard to animate effort when their best move is Dead Calm unless they dish out lots of movement.

Interestingly, Shinobu's poison should only work if she manages to pierce someone, which isn't always easy according to our present fight. So she can kill those who she can already cut in the first place. That last point goes for everyone, but the different is that those who train to increase their power can improve upon that. Having better poison doesn't, unless it reduces the demon's skin integrity.

Ryllharu
Fri, 08-23-2019, 04:08 PM
The biggest crock of bullshit wasn't anything the demon slayers were doing. It was that Rui somehow managed cut off his own head first.

- He shouldn't have known that Nezuko was going to attack him, or could.
- Both Nezuko and Tanjiro were burning away his threads like crazy.
- The attacks and the power behind them took him completely by surprise.

So how did he manage to both form new threads amidst all that fire consuming them, near his head when his arms were well below his neck, and do it despite the fact that Tanjiro's demon slaying blade was already halfway in his neck?

Plot armor, that's how. For a shitty, obnoxious villain character that had long overstayed his welcome.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-23-2019, 08:36 PM
His strings are weird in that they are supposedly attached to his hands but appear from everywhere.

This is basically an anime trope whenever a character uses strings. They can basically control each strand at will.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-24-2019, 12:35 PM
So how did he manage to both form new threads amidst all that fire consuming them, near his head when his arms were well below his neck, and do it despite the fact that Tanjiro's demon slaying blade was already halfway in his neck?

You know, even if you say that's possible... Rui did then go and say that his neck was tougher than any string he makes so... yeah.

Episode 21

-------------------------------------------

Chibi Nezuko ftw!

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-24-2019, 04:27 PM
I do like the tempo of this series in terms of rapidly switching from dramatics to comedy. It feels like a very natural way that tension gets broken. Abruptly and without warning.

It's almost certainly some trope, but I like the distinction that Tanjiro is determined when it comes to slaying them, but he also pities them once the job is done. I feel like what will have him stand out from the other slayers over time, isn't any of the powerful strikes, but maybe more towards the one he used on the Mother spider. She surrendered, and he was able to switch to the form where her suffering was ended peacefully.

Maybe a "warm hearth fire" gentle rain form?

I still hate Rui though. Don't give a shit what his sob story was.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-24-2019, 06:38 PM
The Hashira interaction was hilarious.

The Butterfly Hashira is super smug. Reminds me of Shinoa, not only due to her being voiced by the same person (I assume)

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-24-2019, 09:13 PM
Bitch was overconfident. If Hated Dood wanted to, he could've offed or injured her gravely in an instant, like she had been trying to do to him.

And why didn't Tanjiro explain that his sister wasn't a threat? Fumbling over your words at such critical times is so cringey. Didn't he think he might ever need to explain that he is carrying around a demon to his allies and at least somewhat prepare for it?

Sure, she might not believe you, but trying to explain is sure a hell of a lot better than "You're technically not incorrect that she's a demon!"

Also, we wasted half an episode over some random brat who no one cares about...

DarthEnderX
Sat, 08-24-2019, 10:19 PM
I know he was distracted, but Tanjiro forgot to get a blood sample.

MFauli
Sun, 08-25-2019, 06:49 PM
I know he was distracted, but Tanjiro forgot to get a blood sample.

That really annoyed me. HOW MANY.CHANCES LIKE THAT DO YOU GET??? ��

That aside, good episode. Nezuko might be the best imouto ever. I was so scared for her when she shrunk but was still hunted.

Next episode should be fun.

On a sidenote: Im enjoying this anime more than Vinland Saga. Didnt expect that.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 08-25-2019, 07:29 PM
Right now I'm mostly looking forward to how they handle his sword situation.

I'll be disappointed if they just keep giving him more disposable swords.

Nezuko might be the best imouto ever.Gigguk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iGBTioovQw) seems to agree with you.

I like how both he and Mother's Basement (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuNpUpIXs) both put out videos this week talking about how episode 19 exploded this series's popularity. :p

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-26-2019, 12:47 AM
Right now I'm mostly looking forward to how they handle his sword situation.

I'll be disappointed if they just keep giving him more disposable swords.

What else can they do? It's not the sword's fault. Even the training boulder could have wrecked your sword if you were shit.

MFauli
Mon, 08-26-2019, 04:37 AM
Have we seen the special ability of Tanjiro's black sword?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-26-2019, 07:41 AM
Nope. Tanjiro asked if black was bad when he first got it, and Tengu just said "not necessarily". I don't remember anything significant since then.

MFauli
Mon, 08-26-2019, 09:33 AM
Maybe black has self-repair ability plus "it becomes stronger together with its users mind" ��*♀️

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-26-2019, 11:35 AM
Blades are as strong as each person's technique. That much has been established.

Even Shinobu's blade doesn't "break" despite her lacking physical strength.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 08-26-2019, 12:55 PM
That, or higher ranking slayers get higher quality blades.

MFauli
Fri, 08-30-2019, 03:05 PM
i love the anime community:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fODiiyM0n9E

DarthEnderX
Fri, 08-30-2019, 03:43 PM
It's super cute that she doesn't just shrink, but turns into a little kid.

Try not to make it creepy. I know you people.

MFauli
Fri, 08-30-2019, 04:29 PM
Try not to make it creepy. I know you people.

Hey, its only Shinta who youve gotta watch out for ��*♀️

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-30-2019, 11:55 PM
Creepy eyes!

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-31-2019, 09:19 PM
Episode 22

--------------------------

I have no idea how Nezuko's hypnosis is going to make her react exactly, but I hope she sure as fuck bitchslaps that guy. Fuck that was a blood-boiling episode.

MFauli
Sat, 08-31-2019, 09:24 PM
Ffs, these Hashira are no more human than an average demon, fuck them.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-31-2019, 09:29 PM
How good was Master though?

"Yes, there's no guarantee she won't kill people."

"But there's no guarantee she will."

"Facts are, she hasn't eaten in 2 years and there are 3 people vouching for her. You'll have to put up a better argument if you're opposing this."

Damn dude.

I thought it was funny that Giyu was in the Seppuku list despite barely recognising Tanjiro.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-01-2019, 02:13 AM
but I hope she sure as fuck bitchslaps that guy.Wouldn't that get her immediately killed?

MFauli
Sun, 09-01-2019, 04:08 AM
Wouldn't that get her immediately killed?

Not if she gets a bs power upgrade that makes her stronger out of nowhere - which I'd fully support.

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-01-2019, 11:48 AM
My guess is her reaction is to blast past the guy torturing her and try to protect Tanjiro, only to stop at the edge where the sun is.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-01-2019, 02:20 PM
Not if she gets a bs power upgrade that makes her stronger out of nowhere - which I'd fully support.
If she gets a powerup that lets her beat all the Hashiras, then the series is over.

KrayZ33
Sun, 09-01-2019, 02:37 PM
That episode was lovely,

Mitsuri, the Love Hashira, had so many scenes that made me laugh.
From the scene were she couldn't help but laugh at the headbutt scene, to the point where she was being pushed to the ground by accident from the Sound Hashira.

My guess is her reaction is to blast past the guy torturing her and try to protect Tanjiro, only to stop at the edge where the sun is.
I'd go even further and say she wouldn't stop, but I'm not sure if she'd instantly combust then.
That would certainly proof her dedication to protect and set it above everything else, even human blood/food.
From what I understood, that lower moon guy Rui tortured his sisters or mother by exposing them to sunlight.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-01-2019, 02:46 PM
I'm actually okay with this method of testing. These people have never seen or even heard of anything like Nezuko. The very concept of a tame demon is absurd to them, so words or promises don't mean anything. They need to see actual proof.

That said, once the proof is presented, Tanjiro should have the right to punish the white haired dude for all the violence hefted on his sister for the sake of the test, ideally with the same method. Stuff the guy in a box and stab that box the same number of times.

Tanjiro also gets to hit the snake dood one time on the back and sit on him for a few minutes.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-01-2019, 06:58 PM
I feel like the "test to see if she'll eat me" doesn't work very well if she's still gagged. Even if she WAS going to bite you, she can't.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Episode 23

-------------------------

OMG. Angry Nezuko made my day. That was just about as satisfying as if she bitchslapped.. perhaps even more so because she didn't give in to him at all.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 09-07-2019, 03:09 PM
The Master is suspicious as fuck.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 09-07-2019, 03:36 PM
I hate all of the hashiras except the first two that were introduced, and only because bug girl is cute.

Tomioka is breathtaking, pun intended.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 09-08-2019, 06:05 AM
Actually looking forward to Inosuke's development from here on. For him the entire thing was a massive wake up call that he wasn't as strong as he thought he was. Sure our main boy will most likely train a bit under Giyu since they had the same master but I am curious who will take Inosuke under his/her wing. If such a thing will happen at all.

neflight86
Sun, 09-08-2019, 08:22 AM
I still find it an amusing trope when the pinnacle of a craft in Anime complain that the "new generation" or lesser members of that trade (almost entirely combat arts, as anime would have it) are indicative of a drop in baseline quality. Like, they are so far removed from mortal constraints that their lament is the weakness of others. It's haughty as all get-out, but I still smile when I see it. It is actually a better indicator for me that these people are beyond what most are capable of, in a weird way.

At least Tanjiro demanded justice he could never have for Nezuko getting hurt. He's borderline sis-con sometimes with his protectiveness.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-08-2019, 08:58 AM
I'm looking forward to the day Tanjiro becomes stronger than white haired dood and headbutts him as many times as Nezuko was stabbed. Headbutts because they aren't against the rules.

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-08-2019, 11:49 AM
I'm interested in the Love Hashira. She's super happy and positive about everything. She seems like she might actually be the most in line with Tanjiro's attitude to forgive the demons after he kills them, but hopefully we find out.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-08-2019, 12:09 PM
Was Inosuke even shown to have used any Breathing techniques yet? I don't remember them. I know he has his super sense like Tanjiro and Zenitsu, but I don't remember any Breathing techniques from him.

I'm interested in the Love Hashira. She's super happy and positive about everything. She seems like she might actually be the most in line with Tanjiro's attitude to forgive the demons after he kills them, but hopefully we find out.No way dude. That chick is yandere as shit, I just know it.

KrayZ33
Sun, 09-08-2019, 01:07 PM
Inosuke uses the Beast Breathing techniques.

If I remember correctly, that style has several forms. His sonar was the 7th.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-08-2019, 06:36 PM
No way dude. That chick is yandere as shit, I just know it.

But she was okay with Tanjiro protecting her demon sister unlike some of the other cunts.

Interestingly, from what I can see - all it takes to be a Hashira is to kill a Top 12 demon. There are no set number of pillars, and there's no guarantee that each Breath school gets represented. Like... there's no Lightning user there for example.

MFauli
Sun, 09-08-2019, 09:06 PM
The Master is suspicious as fuck.

Seriously, if it wasn't for the last scene, I'd say he's the bad guy in disguise. Maybe his twin brother? Who knows.

I agree about looking forward to Innosuke's growth. Brute force used to be his *thing*, but that completely shattered. He will need to find a new forte.

Also I'm starting to fall for Shinobu (bug girl). But I also hate her for her extreme pragmatism from earlier episodes. I guess some s/m would be fine 🤷*♀️

Munsu
Wed, 09-11-2019, 05:15 PM
At this point it should be pretty much a guarantee they're looking to doing a second series on this right? It's like we're now entering the meat of the story.

MFauli
Sat, 09-14-2019, 04:49 PM
Episode 24:

I gotta say it: I think this anime is on its way to earn its seat next to the big shounen series. This training episode was interesting and fun, and we even learned other characters better to know.

Zenitsu's scenes had me laugh out loud xD The other two almost dying from the training, then he jumps in and enjoys it like heaven :D

Is the anime continuing or is 25/26 the end?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-14-2019, 06:13 PM
As far as I know it's currently planned for 26 episodes. I have heard no news of any greenlit sequels.

I'm actually hoping that the other two are doing their own secret training by sulking off as well. Well.. mostly Inosuke anyway. It's not really in character for Zenitsu to train unless it's either life/death or girls.

Munsu
Sat, 09-14-2019, 06:16 PM
Personally, I hate with all my being when this show tries to be lighthearted and funny... I think it's a terrible combination and ruins any momentum the series might have going for it.

This will surely end at episode 26, but I'm quite certain it'll get another season/series even if not announced yet. But as always, who knows.

MFauli
Sat, 09-14-2019, 07:47 PM
Zenitsu's secret training should simply consist of 'Try to grab me. You can grab me wherever you want'. Watch him become a Hashira in no time.

It sucks that so many romantic interests have already been established. Would have loved Zenitsu X Shinobu

shinta|hikari
Sat, 09-14-2019, 08:30 PM
Who will be the MC's love interest? The Hashira or the Tsuguko?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-14-2019, 10:50 PM
Kanao seems to fit better in terms of being from the same generation.

But who are we kidding. Tanjiro will be a siscon through and through.

neflight86
Sun, 09-15-2019, 08:44 PM
Zenitsu is the best thing about this show (I think the humor is fine).

DarthEnderX
Mon, 09-16-2019, 02:22 AM
I can't stand Zenitsu. Some of the gags with him are good, but his whole deal is "He's really annoying and won't stfu." Which means his character is...actually really annoying and he won't stfu.

Ryllharu
Tue, 09-17-2019, 04:35 PM
I think the moments of levity are pretty critical for the series. They're deliberate breaks in the tension to bring down the direness of series as a whole. There's nothing wrong with series that go whole grim the whole way, but without the breaks, the importance of each plot segment with action or drama aren't as effective. It ends up being overwhelming, and all starts to blur. What's one dire or stressful moment in a sea of them and nothing else?

Especially when you come off of a moment like episode 19/20, and then again with the near execution of Nezuko.

You also can't maintain momentum in a series that legitimately recognizes that regular humans would need months to recover from injuries as severe as what the lead trio is receiving. The only one who can quick-heal is Nezuko.

Munsu
Tue, 09-17-2019, 05:44 PM
I think the moments of levity are pretty critical for the series. They're deliberate breaks in the tension to bring down the direness of series as a whole. There's nothing wrong with series that go whole grim the whole way, but without the breaks, the importance of each plot segment with action or drama aren't as effective. It ends up being overwhelming, and all starts to blur. What's one dire or stressful moment in a sea of them and nothing else?

Especially when you come off of a moment like episode 19/20, and then again with the near execution of Nezuko.

You also can't maintain momentum in a series that legitimately recognizes that regular humans would need months to recover from injuries as severe as what the lead trio is receiving. The only one who can quick-heal is Nezuko.

There's a difference between having moments of levity and what Kimetsu does.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-17-2019, 09:53 PM

Like.. Angry Nezuko-in-a-box?

KrayZ33
Wed, 09-18-2019, 12:14 PM

It's not "different", it's basically the same in Fairy Tail etc.
The difference is that Kimetsu goes into much darker territory, so the contrast is huge.

So basically, the swing is so huge that it starts to feel out of place.
If I remember correctly, during the drum-demon arc, there was one such scene that felt completely out of place.
They literally saw someone dying a few minutes earlier and started being silly because of something.

In other shows, you'd see the MC getting beaten into a pulp and then all of a sudden help is coming, but that one dude who helps MC is also his rival and starts making fun of him because he is so weak and they start arguing infront of the enemy etc.
It's not even remotely as dramatic as when you have flesh eating demons lurking around that brutally rip you apart for fun.

MFauli
Wed, 09-18-2019, 12:40 PM
I dunno, this anime has been like that from the beginning, so ... 🤷*♀️

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-18-2019, 01:46 PM
My only gripe is the whining from the blond dood. Sure he can whine, just dial it down by half and we're good.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 09-18-2019, 03:50 PM
Honestly, mood whiplash has never really been something that's been a problem for me.

If the seriousness is good. And the ridiculousness is good. I have no problem when they happen to be right next to each other.

My only gripe is the whining from the blond dood. Sure he can whine, just dial it down by half and we're good.A-fucking-men.

Munsu
Wed, 09-18-2019, 04:57 PM
It's not "different", it's basically the same in Fairy Tail etc.
The difference is that Kimetsu goes into much darker territory, so the contrast is huge.

So basically, the swing is so huge that it starts to feel out of place.
If I remember correctly, during the drum-demon arc, there was one such scene that felt completely out of place.
They literally saw someone dying a few minutes earlier and started being silly because of something.

In other shows, you'd see the MC getting beaten into a pulp and then all of a sudden help is coming, but that one dude who helps MC is also his rival and starts making fun of him because he is so weak and they start arguing infront of the enemy etc.
It's not even remotely as dramatic as when you have flesh eating demons lurking around that brutally rip you apart for fun.

The problem here, besides the annoying characters, it's like they have two different set of teams handling the content. One for the comedic portion, and one for the serious portion, both with their different styles of direction and animation, etc., and then they try to cut and paste it all up altogether.

It just doesn't mesh well for me. Even the scene transitions are different, to say nothing that the MC's VA just sucks balls in comedic scenarios.

Then we go through episode to multiple episode long repetitive dumb jokes. So yeah, this series can do without them.

Zenitsu being an annoying fuck doesn't help matters.

To put it another way, I'm not opposed to a series mixing seriousness and comedic potions together. I have a big problem on how this particular show is doing it. I find it bland and annoying more than "funny". It's barely amusing, and far in between at that.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-21-2019, 08:52 PM
Episode 25

---------------------------

-The 3 little girls have names!

-Young Shinobu truly did seem angry at baseline when she isn't smugly smiling at you. She's become quite interesting now having adopted her sister's persona for the most part - including when she's actively baiting you.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 09-21-2019, 09:22 PM
Tanjiro blushing at Shinobu's proximity indicates non-siscon romance.

Did the Tsuguko girl go mute?

I just ignore everything related to sisig and anemone.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-21-2019, 09:30 PM
Did the Tsuguko girl go mute?

She just hasn't decided to speak yet.

MFauli
Sun, 09-22-2019, 03:48 AM
Unfortunately, I have no hope for TanjiroXShinobu. Shinobu seemed to care about the fire Hashira. Who I expect to be killed a la Jiraiya, after whuch Shinobu will become basically an untouchable widow.

KrayZ33
Sun, 09-22-2019, 03:52 AM
Shinobu seemed to care about the fire Hashira.

Huh??? When did anything like that happen.

The one thing I saw was that Kanao's special someone is/might be Tanjiro.
But who knows if Tanjiro will be interested.

The whole episode was extremely funny,
I just loved how Beast-boy ruined his swords and the second smith went from "calm" to "what the... FUCK DUUUUUUUDE!?!??!"

MFauli
Sun, 09-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Huh??? When did anything like that happen.

She seemed slightly worried when he left to fight one of the stronger demons.

Innosuke ruining his sword made me go 'wtf', too. I ... don't think doing that gave the sword MORE stability 🤦*♀️

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-22-2019, 10:59 AM
But who knows if Tanjiro will be interested.He's a protagonist in this very by-the-numbers shonen series. He's going to be completely oblivious of it.

Innosuke ruining his sword made me go 'wtf', too. I ... don't think doing that gave the sword MORE stabilityI don't think stability is the point. He wants it to have a vicious toothy edge.

I WAS surprised that it was something Inosuke himself did. The chips are so evenly spaced and perfectly shaped, that I assumed he just had the sword made that way. Not chipped them out himself with a rock...he's quite the little sculptor.

MFauli
Sun, 09-22-2019, 11:46 AM
The loss of stability just seemed especially dumb for someine who mostly relies on brute force.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-22-2019, 12:55 PM
But remember, these swords are as durable as the wielder's skill, so it's appearance or structure matters not.

KrayZ33
Sun, 09-22-2019, 01:16 PM
Now cheese won't stick to the blade when he cuts it!

....and he can use them as swordbreakers now.

If they wouldn't have shown a sword breaking on demon skin, I'd have argued it didn't matter since they aren't going to hit metal, wood or stone with it... but since they are actually hitting stuff that is hard as metal, he has to use his superior japanese cutting abilities to not ruin the blade.

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-22-2019, 06:27 PM
But who knows if Tanjiro will be interested.

He's a protagonist in this very by-the-numbers shonen series. He's going to be completely oblivious of it.
That's a little unfair to Tanjiro.

Kanao is very interested in him. But she flipped the coin and it went the wrong way. For now. How is he supposed to notice something that went on almost entirely in her own head?

If Tanjiro could smell girls in love the same way he smells anger, this would be a very different series.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 09-28-2019, 12:30 PM

---

Well, this has been a great series so far, but I guess its hiatus time.

Little annoyed that they're seemingly turning canon arcs into movies

Munsu
Sat, 09-28-2019, 06:21 PM

---

Well, this has been a great series so far, but I guess its hiatus time.

Little annoyed that they're seemingly turning canon arcs into movies

I'll take it.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 09-28-2019, 06:34 PM
Man, Tanjiro going full Harem Protagonist and raising flags with both girls.

But yeah sucks that we won't get anything for a long ass time.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 09-28-2019, 11:10 PM
I'll take it.Over nothing? Sure.

But I'd rather they took their time telling the story instead of trying to smush an entire arc into one movie.

MFauli
Sun, 09-29-2019, 01:07 AM
Ugh, so does this mean we'll never get a proper continuation? Only movies (that are bound to be rushed/lack content)? :(

Best anime of the season, easily. Tanjiro x Kanao is best couple.

I wonder if the next fight will happen ON the train. Tanjiro should be able to smell the demon.

KrayZ33
Sun, 09-29-2019, 02:59 AM
It's a single arc put into a movie,
I really doubt that it'll lack content or be rushed.
A movie is about 1:30 - 2h long, that's 6-10 episodes worth of content.
And the movie will probably have more budget than 6-10 episodes worth.

You might want to reduce it by 1 episode due to the movie most likely telling the story up until now so that the movie "works on it's own".

On top of that, all of it is probably going to be on a train. There is only so much you can do on it before it becomes annoying.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-29-2019, 10:53 AM
Hmm, I'm trying to look up how many chapters is in this next arc, but the Demon Slayer wiki's arc list ends at the spider mountain thing we just finished.

I DID notice that the manga has about 3 times as many chapters as this first season covered. So I really don't know why they didn't just keep the series going.

Anyway, I was a little disappointed at the way they killed off all the lower 6 like that. It's almost like the author was like "Oh wait, Tanjiro almost killed one last time, and I don't want him to be a Hashira anytime soon. So I better make sure all the demons that were at his level are gone." Plus, now all the demons that would have the blood he needs are way more powerful. It's like his goal posts got moved way back just as he was reaching one.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-29-2019, 01:27 PM
You mean kinda like how I "predicted" weeks ago how the power level was gonna end up?

neflight86
Tue, 10-01-2019, 06:36 PM
Much more entertaining final episode than I expected. Of course, to preserve the power scaling, what have been defeated so far are relegated to diet kizuki... Makes me wonder why the upper six haven't simply taken over the world if they are strong enough to survive hashiras for over a hundred years while continuing to grow in strength. Overall, I really enjoyed that scene; it was ominous, threatening, and had some juicy exposition. I would have actually put it at the end of the episode instead of the beginning.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 10-02-2019, 03:57 AM
Of course, to preserve the power scaling, what have been defeated so far are relegated to diet kizuki...But they WEREN'T defeated before. At least, not by our protagonist. He DIDN'T defeat one of the lower six, one of the more powerful mentor characters did. He, in fact, failed to even hurt him.

So there's really no reason to remove all of those from the board at this point. Although, I guess you could say one was left behind specifically for Tanjiro to stepping-stone on.

neflight86
Wed, 10-02-2019, 06:37 PM
I'm certain that the big bad said that the lower six were getting replaced all the time, or at least regularly. As a matter of fact, I believe that the only thing all of the hashiras have in common is that they have dispatched a 12 kizuki (now understood to mean a lower six member). That still creates a tangible 'power difference', presumably to preserve the menace of the upper six.

KrayZ33
Thu, 10-03-2019, 03:03 AM
The reasons they were removed was to tell us about Muzan and how he ticks, no reason to ignore the more obvious reasons.
To think that it was done due to a mistake of the author is a little silly and far fetched imho.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 10-03-2019, 08:56 AM
And because that's how shounen power levels are established... You fight someone "strong" and then later find out they were weak shit, and the literally higher number ranking ones are much stronger. That's how the story keeps going while keeping suspense and meaning in earlier fights.

I'm really surprised everyone is treating this show as an exception despite it being blatantly and predictably shounen. Better animation doesn't change the genre.

KrayZ33
Thu, 10-03-2019, 10:34 AM
Who's "everyone".
Even Darth isn't talking about how it's unrealistic for MC to rise in power like that. He's just not satisfied with how fast he gained power or rather, how soon he faced end-bosses on somewhat equal terms and thinks the balance is out of order.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 10-03-2019, 01:54 PM
It's more that, we established a tier of enemies for the protagonist to overcome. And then we just removed that entire tier before the protagonist actually successfully overcame anyone in that tier. And now he's moving up to the next tier, having never successfully overcome the previous tier.

If he'd BEATEN Spider kid, then yeah, wipe out that tier, he's done with it, we can move on. But despite the amazing, flashy, heartfelt combo attack, he failed to even hurt Spider kid. Tanjiro's Kakashi had to come and finish the fight for him.

And now, his next opponent is someone who's potentially above his Kakashi's level(since they're stronger than the other Lower 6, but weaker than the Upper 6, and no Hasira has beaten an Upper 6).

shinta|hikari
Thu, 10-03-2019, 10:27 PM
I meant people were complaining about a 12 kizuki being so easily defeated by a hashira, and I said repeatedly that it's because it's a shounen story. That specific kizuki isn't "strong" and many more stronger (higher ranked) ones will come out later, but somehow no one seemed to realize that was the case.

EDIT:

To be fair, it wasn't "everyone." Krayz was agreeing with me, while Mfauli and Darth were saying that white brat was handled badly.

So it's 2 people who didn't recognize the obvious shounen tropes.

Munsu
Tue, 03-16-2021, 05:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbTSLJ62YEM

Can't wait for the BD release of the movie.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 03-16-2021, 09:21 PM
It will be released very soon before my birthday, so it will be an awesome present.

This movie is loved and highly acclaimed everywhere.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 03-17-2021, 09:29 AM
I've seen this in cinemas but I'll wait for BDs before discussing.

neflight86
Fri, 04-30-2021, 08:50 AM
Salt water edition is out (movie was on PSN for a few hours and got ripped before being pulled).

I thought it was... okay. I don't understand how this broke all of the sales records that ever were or will be- it was merely okay. The train demon was interesting until the children assassins started trying to break the 'cores' and failed one after another. Their story was never really resolved nor mentioned again, even after one accomplice stabbed Tanjuro.

Fights were okay, but I am not fond of 'regenerating tentacle' monsters, so that didn't really do it for me. I enjoyed the 'falling asleep and waking up' bit, even though it looked like the demon could have attacked him more in his staggered state.

What must have won over the audience was the post train portion. That was pretty good stuff from the hashira, but his character wasn't developed enough to really endear me to him, and Tanjuro's screaming at the retreating demon was so awkward that I expected the kizuki to actually give in to the provocation and get himself killed (which he thankfully didn't). It was jarring that nothing came of it, and he threw away his sword for no reason. It felt like wasted screen time. Overall, a good way to condense an arc that I don't think I would have enjoyed as much in weekly format, and give a high level battle movie quality animation. I still don't see Kimetsu no Yaiba as anything special, but its production elevates it above my opinion, that's for sure.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-30-2021, 10:42 AM
Magnetic link for PSN version of the movie: Click here (magnet:?xt=urn:btih:fc960bb31cf8d2460207703e9f4af fbb32a1d527&dn=%5BAnime%20Time%5D%20Kimetsu%20no%20Yaiba%20-%20Demon%20Slayer%20-%20Mugen%20Train%20-%20Infinity%20Train%20-%20Ressha-Hen%20%282020%29%20%5B1080p%5D%5BPSN%5D%5BDual%20A udio%5D%5BHEVC%2010bit%20x265%5D%5BEng%20Sub%5D.mk v&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fnyaa.tracker.wf%3A7777%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.stealth.si%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fann ounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.torrent.eu.org%3A451%2Fanno unce)

Quality is less than Blu Ray, better than cam rip.

--------------------------------

-The setup for the movie wasn't bad.

-Weird how it went from Flame Bro choking the little girl to him sitting back in his seat again. That was super weird.

-The whole sleep suicide thing by Tanjiro was well done. The demon trying to bait him into killing himself in real life was a trippy.

-Zenitsu's short fight was cool while it lasted.

-Tentacles was fairly boring.

-Final fight was well animated, but he came out of nowhere and was a little tacked on. Kinda like the final fight in Iron Man 1.

-I never got invested into Flame Bro, so I didn't feel sad when he died. He mainly felt slightly awkward and weirdly upbeat.

-All in all, a well animated action movie, but not deserving of best animated movie of all time or something like that. A handful of old Miyazaki films, the top one or two Makoto Shinkai ones (whichever you prefer) and the Dragon Ball Brolly movie (the most recent one) should rank higher than this.

-edit: I forgot. Nezuko <3

MFauli
Fri, 04-30-2021, 11:20 AM
Before I watch this movie: This is basically a direct continuation of Season 1 and the lead-up to Season 2, correct? thx

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-30-2021, 11:48 AM
Before I watch this movie: This is basically a direct continuation of Season 1 and the lead-up to Season 2, correct? thx

Direct continuation of S1 = yes.
Lead up to S2 = presumably yes. I don't know about the plot of S2.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 04-30-2021, 03:36 PM
I gotta agree with neflight.

While this was some high quality Demon Slayer content, I have no idea how this become like the biggest movie in Japan ever.

This movie gave a LOT of weight to Rengoku's death, but like...we barely knew that character.

Also...did Tanjiro just lose another sword?! Swordmaker is gonna be pissed!

Although, that leaves the door open for him to recover it later, after getting a new one! Fire/water dual wield?!

MFauli
Sat, 05-01-2021, 08:15 AM
My two complaints first:

- this anime series has an inherently flawed character design. Although the heroes are supposed to be young adults, their heads look like that of a child's. Their head shape is too round, their eyes too big. This becomes especially obvious when anyone's mother is next to them, and the mother basically could as well be their sister and it wouldn't looks out of place, either. I know that anime in general has an issue to properly display the difference of ages in the 13-30 yo range, often times there's barely a difference and height and clothing are the only way to tell. But KnY is especially bad in that regard.

- That upper-demon totally lacked any "oomph" until the end. All other shounen series I know did this better. Akatski in Naruto, Captains in Bleach, Admirals in One Piece, Freezer/Cell/Boo in Dragon Ball, Geneiryuudan and the upper Chimeras in HXH - they made me immediately feel their threat-level. This upper demon just had a too generic, lame design and there were no special effects to somehow mark him as more threatening than other demons.

THAT ASIDE: Fuck, I started crying during the "raven delivers the message to everyone"-montage. >_< That broke my heart. And then that fucking demon didn't even die. I had hoped that somehow Tanjiro's final attack would have opened the forest enough to let the sunlight reach that fucker.

Zenitsu didn't haven much appearance, but the one he did was fantastic. Both showing off to Nezuko AND awesomely saving people with his lightning move. However, it wasn't explained how he actually regained consciousness. The dream demon even mentioned at one point that Zenitsu hadn't woken up at all. Considering Zenitsu's technique relies on him falling asleep, it would have been interesting to see more closely how things went down here.

Overall, I enjoyed it, but it lacked movie quality. The animation was good, but so was the first season's. I'm glad this was made in a movie, though, because otherwise it would have taken up sooo many episodes, possibly an entire 2nd season. But wtf: How long is the manga supposed to run? Unless there's a mass-killing event where most upper demons die at once, the pacing will be super slow. After all this, the author wouldn't even let one of them die?! I guess at least it makes for a cool "re-union" when Tanjiru meets that demon again who's still having his sword now.

Very curious to see how our three heroes will grow stronger, because they're far below the level to fight with the upper demons.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-01-2021, 08:53 AM
Zenitsu didn't haven much appearance, but the one he did was fantastic. Both showing off to Nezuko AND awesomely saving people with his lightning move. However, it wasn't explained how he actually regained consciousness. The dream demon even mentioned at one point that Zenitsu hadn't woken up at all. Considering Zenitsu's technique relies on him falling asleep, it would have been interesting to see more closely how things went down here.

Zenitsu's body moves on its own, however his consciousness stops his technique from manifesting - so by putting him to sleep the demon basically enabled Zenitsu. His body just needs dire situations to drive his instinct to act.

MFauli
Sat, 05-01-2021, 09:02 AM
Zenitsu's body moves on its own, however his consciousness stops his technique from manifesting - so by putting him to sleep the demon basically enabled Zenitsu. His body just needs dire situations to drive his instinct to act.

I know that. Just would have liked if it was presented more in-depth in the movie, like, say, a scene where Zenitsu's body slowly starts to move and the dream demon is all like "masaka!", and all. Just a bit more oomph here.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-01-2021, 09:43 AM
I know that. Just would have liked if it was presented more in-depth in the movie, like, say, a scene where Zenitsu's body slowly starts to move and the dream demon is all like "masaka!", and all. Just a bit more oomph here.

Instead of Zenitsu coming in with a surprise Nezuko rescue? The movie's handling had much more impact factor, short as it was. The movie had Nezuko strung up, yanking her hard enough to show pain - and right when that emotion resonated with us, out of nowhere Zenitsu flashes through half the train to cut her loose.

I think any foreshadowing would have lost impact.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 05-01-2021, 01:21 PM
However, it wasn't explained how he actually regained consciousness.He didn't. He only fights good WHILE he's unconscious.

The animation was good, but so was the first season's.Except the train demon. That looked like shit.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-02-2021, 07:48 PM
I really liked Rengoku. He really grew on me in that short movie, and now I fucking want to murder that number 3 demon. I really hope Tanjiro gets to be the one to kill that bastard.

I was crying along with the trio near the end.

@Mfauli - I did a quick look at the manga, which is finished at 23 volumes, to see where the movie ended. It was around the end of volume 8, so we are only a third of the way into the story.

David75
Mon, 05-03-2021, 01:06 AM
It seems I made the right choice focusing on the OST and leaving this anime. I know my reading is biaised but it seems some people think a great part of this anime success comes from LiSA's performances... I can't tell, didn't watch. But I sure deeply love LiSA's TFT video clips.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-03-2021, 02:09 AM
It seems I made the right choice focusing on the OST and leaving this anime. I know my reading is biaised but it seems some people think a great part of this anime success comes from LiSA's performances... I can't tell, didn't watch. But I sure deeply love LiSA's TFT video clips.

It's more the actual BGM than the OP that kicks ass IMO, but the show is easy to watch with a high budget, well animated, and a mix of (eventually) likable characters and a matching soundtrack.

It's not unique in this (Jujutsu Kaisen is a recent example of Good Staple Shounen + Money), but delivers a good anime experience.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-03-2021, 02:11 AM
I mean...it's the song from that one part of that one episode that people actually care about.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-03-2021, 02:36 AM
I mean...it's the song from that one part of that one episode that people actually care about.

Are you talking about the broken sword vs spider neck?

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-03-2021, 01:00 PM
Indeed.

You know, the emotional climax of the first season that made everyone take notice of the series, that gets completely undermined 30 seconds into the next episode.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-04-2021, 02:43 AM
Ah.

I mean.. yeah, it was a nice moment for the song, but my reaction to that is more mellow than most I reckon (if "everyone" only noticed the show then because of that scene). I've found the show consistently enjoyable and good to watch, with many other scenes being cool with matching soundtracks (Zenitsu cutting the other spider fellow in the web-hut, Tanjiro finishing his training, only find out at a later fight that they were dead remnants of his senpais etc).

The undermining of Tanjiro's efforts... I kinda get why they did it. The writer wanted it to be cool and all, but then really Tanjiro shouldn't be able to kill even lower moons at his level right now. I say that, despite him actually killing one in the movie lol.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 05-04-2021, 01:27 PM
(if "everyone" only noticed the show then because of that scene)That's when it's popularity exploded, yes.

Like how I believe the fight in episode 24 of Jujutsu Kaisen is doing a lot for that series right now.

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-10-2021, 03:02 PM
S2 EP1

---------------------------------------------------

So, this is a bit odd, since I watched the movie.
Feels like I don't want to watch the next 3 episodes or something?

Although I doubt they are going to show that and will probably make a cut... but then again, that will probably feel awful for the people who didn't watch it.
And if they don't, it will be boring for the people who DID watch it.

odd...weird.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-10-2021, 03:05 PM
You don't want to watch the first 7 episodes. It's a revamp of the movie, enhanced. The next arc will start in December. (https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-09-25/demon-slayer-anime-unveils-new-cast-songs-by-lisa-and-aimer-entertainment-district-arc-december-5-debut-7-episode-mugen-train-tv-version/.177823)

I didn't watch the movie, so this works out for me.

It's an counter "Gekijouban" situation for anime, oddly enough.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 10-10-2021, 03:12 PM
It's a very Dragon Ball Super situation, where the first two arcs of Super were just redoing the movies, but longer.

Except the quality in this probably won't suck.

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-10-2021, 03:47 PM
Okay... I'm going to watch it because why not, but that seems like a weird flex to me.

"look how much budget we have, we do the same thing, but different, twice!"

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-10-2021, 04:07 PM
While the movie is the highest grossing Japanese film of all time...I believe they are reusing a lot of material. According to that article, they're only adding 70 new cuts to the content of the film.

MFauli
Mon, 10-11-2021, 05:48 AM
Someone who watches both pls later on report if the tv-adaptation is worth watching. Thx

DarthEnderX
Mon, 10-11-2021, 12:03 PM
Well this entire episode was new.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 10-11-2021, 01:09 PM
I skimmed through the first episode and I'll be watching this despite watching the movie just for Flame Bro's character development. The movie had very little of it and his death had no impact on me whatsoever.

neflight86
Mon, 10-11-2021, 03:51 PM
If this is the extent that they are going to be injecting more lore/context into this arc, this is already worth watching. Skip the movie if you haven't seen it (since they are already going to be recycling that animation for fights/ect).

MFauli
Wed, 11-24-2021, 04:56 AM
I've seen the movie and now I've seen all the episodes released so far. I don't know what has been "enhanced", but this feels like 1:1 the same. Good that I wanted to rewatch the movie anyway shrugs.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 11-24-2021, 10:08 AM
It's basically just that first episode, where we get to spend a whole extra episode with the Hashira before the movie.

MFauli
Sun, 11-28-2021, 05:25 PM
episode 7 (final):

Aaaand the tears start flowing again!

I really have to say, it's still impressive how this anime managed to make you care about a newly introduced character in the span of a movie.

Hyped for the new season!

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-05-2021, 01:39 PM
Entertainment District Arc 01

---

Double episode!

Are the next half dozen arcs just gonna be Tanjiro hanging out with a Hashira before they die horribly?

Sun breathing? Now that sounds useful.

neflight86
Sun, 12-05-2021, 11:18 PM
Shinobi hashira- should have seen that one coming. I guess we're gonna get Zenitsu in drag within a few eps if he specifically needed female corps members.

4 Months is a good time skip for power up purposes, and Muzan is still intimidating, so lets do this!

DarthEnderX
Mon, 12-06-2021, 01:16 AM
I guess we're gonna get Zenitsu in drag within a few eps if he specifically needed female corps members.It should be Inosuke. He's the pretty one!

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-06-2021, 03:25 AM
It should be Inosuke. He's the pretty one!

https://i.imgur.com/ymzFmjn.jpg

The middle one is Inosuke, the rest aren't 100% matches as far as brows, eye colour and moles go. I can't quite pin it. Could well be new characters, but that montage should really reflect our current group of 4 IMO.

I had Zenitsu's unconvincing drag in the ED.

MFauli
Wed, 12-08-2021, 09:53 AM
Fun episode mostly. New guy sucks, I wonder if I'll end up liking him similarly to how I cared about Kyoujuro at the end of the train arc.

Btw. I really hate how each season now is named after one arc. That's ok for a movie, but for a whole season, it just tells me "not a whole lot is gonna happen" :/ Or, nothing beyond that specific arc is gonna happen. Shounen series of the past would surprise you with their structure and what's going to happen, but now we already know that everything is gonna happen in this entertainment district. Not saying that this won't be fun and all, but I don't want to know that before watching.

neflight86
Wed, 12-08-2021, 11:04 AM
On the contrary; I'm glad we have it in writing that this entire arc will finish before the next two year wait.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-19-2021, 12:06 PM
Entertainment District ep 03

---------------------------

Okay, so there are 3 houses that the wives have infiltrated.
-Zenitsu's Oiran is a definite demon.
-Inosuke's Oiran hasn't been sighted yet, but a demon visits their house and uses cloth abilities (much like the one that just snagged Zenitsu)
-Tanjiro's Oiran didn't show any suggestion of being a demon, and Tanjiro didn't recognise her as one either.

In the ED there are 3 girls, 2 of which have the lateral eye makeup thing, and their motif seems to be ribbons of cloth. I don't quite get it yet, but maybe there are 2-3 demons despite the OP only showing 1. There could be fewer numbers and it's just the one transversing houses, but that'd be difficult during the day.

MFauli
Sun, 12-19-2021, 03:51 PM
I don't get it. So this Upper Six-demon is even stronger than the one that killed Kyojuro at the end of the train-movie. And somehow she's to be defeated by the same, hardly stronger heroes and another hashira who doesn't look all the capable compared to Kyojuro? Eh. I guess I'll see how that's gonna be written in a believable way. Surely the author wouldn't do some cheap writing like having the roof be destroyed and the demon dies from sunlight.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-19-2021, 04:04 PM
This one is Upper Six, the other fighter was Upper Three. Fighter is stronger.