PDA

View Full Version : NOSTALGIA

Sapphire
Wed, 04-03-2019, 04:16 PM
So, who wants to send a mass email to everyone who was ever a member so we can bring the old gang back together?

Laughing at all of the old threads and missing the good old days now. :( I want to know what everyone's been up to!!

Munsu
Thu, 04-04-2019, 09:10 AM
I think we did this a few years back, but not sure.

Sapphire
Thu, 04-04-2019, 09:55 AM
I definitely don't remember getting that email! Please send one out!

<Sapphi> when is the reunion?? <3
<%Kraco> When we will be buried at the same cemetery.

Some people are so morbid :rolleyes:

--

I know Shinta got married, that's incredible and amazing news!!

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-04-2019, 01:39 PM
Thanks! Life changing for sure, mostly for the better.

Sapphire
Fri, 04-05-2019, 12:56 AM
Tell us more about your married life! And how it came to be! I'm sure the old regulars will see this... one day...

Death BOO Z
Fri, 04-05-2019, 06:25 AM
the irc thing is still going?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Well, married life is more expensive than I imagined, especially since my wife is not allowed to work (yet) due to my immigration restrictions. We both love to travel and eat, so we do both of those a lot, and as you can imagine, it can get very costly. It is very fulfilling though.

I'd gotten to a point where I had lost the desire to do anything and practically drifted from day to day, but meeting her rekindled my traveler's spirit. While I never really lost my love for food, I stopped cooking because it felt meaningless to do it for myself. But now that someone gets to eat and tell me her impressions about what I make, I cook every single day. It's just that fulfilling.

We also cosplay together. In fact, we're flying to Anime Expo this July. I'm planning to go as Kiryu Kazuma from Yakuza and she's gonna do Unicorn from Azur Lane.

As for how we got together, the short version (100% true story):
I met her through her mother, who was my subordinate at work. She had an abusive boyfriend back then, so I helped her break up with him. We fell in love, but she was in a cult that did not allow getting into relationships with those outside of it. I even did a dogeza in front of her parents, saying I'd go into the cult if that's what it took, but was promptly rejected. We got separated by her parents and lived in different states for a while, but she ran away from them and the cult and began living with me. We got married soon after. Now we sorta made up with her family (most of them anyway), but they can't openly talk to her because the cult does not allow contact with anyone who broke away from them.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-09-2019, 05:25 AM
I'd gotten to a point where I had lost the desire to do anything and practically drifted from day to day, but meeting her rekindled my traveler's spirit. While I never really lost my love for food, I stopped cooking because it felt meaningless to do it for myself. But now that someone gets to eat and tell me her impressions about what I make, I cook every single day. It's just that fulfilling.

Interesting.

I'm at a stage while I'm just kinda working day in, day out, self indulging in games/anime/watches and other materials/consumables during my time off. It's a catch 22 between saying "I'll do something else (less selfish) when I meet someone I love enough." and "You won't meet someone like that without trying".

Do I feel like I need another person in my life? Not really, not now. Maybe that'll change one day.

I think now you get why I don't cook.

Your story is quite incredible.

the irc thing is still going?

it sure is dude. irc://irc.rizon.net/gw

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-10-2019, 03:30 AM
Cooking for yourself is no big deal. It's called leftovers.

Make something that feeds four, eat it for two days.
Make something that feeds eight, bring some into work and share.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-10-2019, 04:11 AM
When Shinta says cooking, we're talking fancy shit.

I cook to make food not-raw, warm and taste ok. I don't eat take-out every day. That's expensive. What I do is turn ingredients into food, but that's not cooking while we're having a conversation with Shinta.

lilphatboi88
Sat, 05-04-2019, 12:37 AM
Hey guys, I've finally been able to log back in after forever. Someone should tell the mods to fix the lost username recaptcha. I wasn't able to log in and it felt terrible not being able to write anything!

Kraco
Sat, 05-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Nobody but Complich can fix things, and he hasn't got much time to fix them. In fact it's been ages since I last time saw any trace of him. Maybe it was around the time when he moved the forums away from Wilik's uncle's server (or whatever it was), onto his own, so that we could still keep the forum running, more or less. And that was a good long while ago. The irc server self-destroyed as well, so the channel is on rizon now, yet, to follow the trend, the rizon channel founder, Archangel, disappeared some time ago. That's how it goes.

You were lucky you could visit before the end, lilphatboi88!

Assertn
Sun, 05-05-2019, 11:29 PM
This thread made me remember the private messages section. Jesus, I still have archived PMs since 2004...

lilphatboi88
Thu, 05-09-2019, 12:06 PM
Thanks guys. I really do feel the nostalgia. So much has changed in the tech world / anime world. I remember feeling like the nerd who liked anime and now it's cool.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-09-2019, 01:25 PM
Wait, it's cool..? When did that happen.

KrayZ33
Thu, 05-09-2019, 02:57 PM
This thread made me remember the private messages section. Jesus, I still have archived PMs since 2004...

Kinda amazing when you think about it and see all the avatars and names again...

Kenren, Arch, Lucifus, XanBcoo, Vash, Abdula, Penner, RyougaZell - etc. etc. etc.

geeeeeeez.

'Twas a good community.
edit: so big too, when I think about it.

Abdula
Thu, 05-09-2019, 11:30 PM
Speak of the devil and he appears. Never thought I would have the opportunity to use that one.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 05-10-2019, 04:25 AM
anime is now cool around here as well.

Kraco
Fri, 05-10-2019, 12:09 PM
Speak of the devil and he appears. Never thought I would have the opportunity to use that one.

Dude, haven't seen you around for a while. Looks like Sapphi did an interesting thing by creating this thread.

KrayZ33
Fri, 05-10-2019, 12:12 PM

Haha nice one.
I kinda questioned myself who these "Guests" are, viewing all the old threads. Assumed Bots, was probably wrong.

Even if people don't post anymore. Kinda cool they stick around once in a while.

Abdula
Fri, 05-10-2019, 09:35 PM
Yeah GW is still my #1 bookmark so I usually check in every few weeks just had a lot going on the last few months and then just moved into a new place. Finally got around to it and saw that I was being summoned, so wanted to let it be known I was still around.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-10-2019, 10:39 PM
It really depends on your crowd as to whether anime is "cool", but it ranges from "kinda cool" to "a recognised and not weird side hobby" here. Every now and again I get pleasantly surprised when I recognise someone's ringtone or a casual conversation ends up finding someone else who watches anime.

Thus far I haven't found anyone like us IRL at work who watch stuff as they air though.

oyabun
Mon, 05-13-2019, 09:53 AM
Damn.. is this a gotwoot revival? :D

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-13-2019, 10:15 AM
It's a gotwoot reunion party of sorts I guess.

And you know.... I'm fun at parties.

oyabun
Mon, 05-13-2019, 10:17 AM
Even my sig is expired already lol

Buffalobiian
Mon, 05-13-2019, 10:31 AM
From my end it reads that the image violates Terms of Use. Mine would too.. if they ever knew what it looks like :P

Sapphire
Tue, 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM
Haha I love how there's even expired sigs now.

I feel like we're a bunch of old crochety men coming back for a reunion with our canes.

Yay, the Abdula got submmoned too!

BTW, wasn't anime already cool in like 2005? Or only among the underground folks? Netflix is dominating anime these days and that was unexpected.

I cook to make food not-raw, warm and taste ok.

This sounds so unappetizing by the way lol

Yukimura
Tue, 05-14-2019, 11:48 AM
I was summoned so I came back to see what was up. It's good to see so many nostalgic names and 'faces'.

Abdula
Tue, 05-14-2019, 03:18 PM
Hey Token. My original favorite GW poster.

It really depends on your crowd as to whether anime is "cool", but it ranges from "kinda cool" to "a recognized and not weird side hobby" here.
Sounds pleasant. My experience is that the fandom has jumped the shark. There was a point where you could connect with people who enjoy some relatively obscure really quirky niche shows like us weirdos here. Now it is far more mainstream, easily accessible and somehow less authentic. It is very similar to what happened to the music industry. There was a point when you had to go to brick and mortar stores and buy physical albums and everything was by word of mouth and interactions were very genuine with people who are real fans of artists or producers and knew their history and supported them. Now it is like buying a t-shirt. I saw it, it seemed cool so I got it and 2 weeks later on to the next thing.

I guess it is all just yet another symptom of an obvious societal shift that I am absolutely not a fan of. It is simply the way things are consumed and a lack of willingness or desire to be critical of anything.

I feel like we're a bunch of old crochety men coming back for a reunion with our canes.

Yay, the Abdula got submmoned too!

BTW, wasn't anime already cool in like 2005? Or only among the underground folks? Netflix is dominating anime these days and that was unexpected.
Rather too close to the mark there. I was often compared to a crotchety old man and I am sure I do not have to explain why to any of you. Though I was never really emotionally invested in anything arguing with and frustrating people is just entertaining. Also less a cane and more of a bullpup rifle person unless of course it comes with a three piece suit and top hat. In that case a cane is a must.

In my experience it was always cool in that it was never something you would be ostracized or alienated for. It was not even unpopular just misunderstood I guess. It is always about great story telling to me and the format or medium did not matter. Whether it was a western comic book, graphic novel, light novel, manga, manhua, manhwa, book, movie, tv show whatever. It just took awhile for the novelty to wear off and xenophobic people to get accustomed to it. The stories and subject matter are no different than what was in the bible or Homer's Odyssey or Shakespeare's Hamlet or Dante's Divine Comedy. It is simply how they are presented and consumed that has changed. I guess people are generally less sanctimonious.

Today the MCU is king and that most likely would not have been possible 30 years ago. 20 years ago that space was reserved for movies like Titantic. A similar shift has happened with theatre which was not something I ever enjoyed. Everything was if not segregated then compartmentalized now there is more cross-fertilization. Bible stories get made into cheesy action films, classical literature gets the anime treatment and cheesy comic book stories are treated as prestigious cinema. Now if only they would make more westerns.

That felt good. It has been some time since I made an old fashioned bloated post. I think I am out of practice, this was rather short.

Sapphire
Thu, 05-16-2019, 07:11 AM
Ah, walls of text, how nostalgic.

I seriously love you guys.

I've been reading the flaming pit recently and it really brings back amazing memories.

Currently laughing so hard at this thread:

https://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php/15680-The-No-Abdula-Club?p=367280&viewfull=1#post367280

KitKat
Thu, 05-16-2019, 08:03 AM
How am I even still a mod? Lol.

Quick update from me:
I'm currently living on the west coast. Even after so many years I still marvel whenever I glance up and see the mountains. It's such a beautiful place to live. I work for a robotics company as a test engineer and have so much fun there. Quite a few of my coworkers are into anime. I don't watch much these days (mainly whatever pops onto Netflix) but I keep the fact that I used to mod here and was briefly in a fansub group as a fun fact to impress the anime nerds or bolster my geek cred if it is in doubt, haha.

On a more personal note, I'm getting married this summer. We're planning on having an ice cream sundae bar and a bouncy castle at the wedding.

I didn't keep up with many GW folks, but I still meet up with Deadfire and Iridani every couple years. If any of you guys find yourselves in the Vancouver area, I'd be happy to show you around or suggest some things to do/see/eat ^_^

Sapphire
Thu, 05-16-2019, 09:56 AM
Woo kitkat, GotWoot's resident seamstress in da house!

More of Kraco's curmudgeony antics =| lmao!

[10:31] <Sapphi> hay kraco, a bunch of old school ppl are on FB and forgot their passwords for forum lol
[10:31] <Sapphi> plz help them lol
[10:31] <Sapphi> wilik didnt even remember his username lol
[10:31] <%Kraco> Haha. That's something else, alright.
[10:32] <Sapphi> lol
[10:32] <%Kraco> How am I supposed to help them, though?
[10:32] <Sapphi> are u on fb? join the chat
[10:32] <Sapphi> we got saman, wilik, iridani and xan who dont know their pass lol
[10:32] <Sapphi> and prolly boc
[10:33] <%Kraco> No, I don't have an FB account.
[10:33] <Sapphi> D:
[10:33] <Sapphi> can u make one
[10:33] <%Kraco> Haha, no way.
[10:33] <Sapphi> wow
[10:33] <Sapphi> rudeee
[10:33] <%Kraco> I will try to live my life without having anything to do with FB.
[10:38] <Sapphi> :|
[10:41] <%Kraco> I'm not the greatest fan of the popular social media. I try to leave Zuckerberg's empire alone, and I wish Twitter went bankrupt.

So hopefully everyone else should make an appearance as soon as a nice admin shows up!
We need to find Ani and AA though. :(

Eurasian
Thu, 05-16-2019, 10:26 AM
On a more personal note, I'm getting married this summer. We're planning on having an ice cream sundae bar and a bouncy castle at the wedding.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! Your wedding sounds amazing already!!!!!

Kraco
Thu, 05-16-2019, 11:00 AM
Yeah, congrats, KitKat! I trust you invited a couple of robots to the wedding as well.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-16-2019, 11:46 AM
Wow, congrats.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-16-2019, 12:21 PM
Make sure to have a chocolate fountain too, a real one, as in the size of a real fountain in a big park or city center.

People can bathe in the gooey brown goodness after the kiss is done.

Ryllharu
Thu, 05-16-2019, 04:41 PM
Congrats and Best Wishes KitKat!

Abdula
Thu, 05-16-2019, 09:57 PM
Gonna echo everyone else and say congratulations Kitkat! Though personally I have always believed that congratulating people when they get married is weird because you are congratulating them for making a decision. I have never met you and I do not actually know you but based on the few interactions we have had you seem like one of the kindest and most genuine people in the world and I am always happy and wish the best for good people. So take that for whatever it is worth coming from some strange guy on the internet.

Ah, walls of text, how nostalgic.

I seriously love you guys.

I've been reading the flaming pit recently and it really brings back amazing memories.

Currently laughing so hard at this thread:

https://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php/15680-The-No-Abdula-Club?p=367280&viewfull=1#post367280
Love you too, see signature below. On a more serious note, that thread is pure gold and I wholeheartedly agree with Kraco about social media and Zuckerberg though I do not wish bankruptcy on anyone.

People can bathe in the gooey brown goodness after the kiss is done.
That is just so disgusting, honestly.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-17-2019, 12:16 AM
Facebook is for old people now.

Instagram and Snapchat are the "new" shits.

complich8
Fri, 05-17-2019, 02:39 AM
we are all old now. Deal with it.

Sapphire
Fri, 05-17-2019, 07:56 AM
we are all old now. Deal with it.

Hay complich, get on that mass email!

oyabun
Fri, 05-17-2019, 01:23 PM
I remember when I was a junior dev, I always visit GW in the afternoon when I am procrastinating to check if there's any fun discussion or interesting topic. Fun times.

As for me, I moved to the Netherlands. :D

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-17-2019, 01:36 PM
I started off coming here for the AonE releases (when aone.blogspot.com was slowing down), then started chatting to people and the like. Uni days were cruisy and unengaging so I torrented and talked shit instead.

Good times.

I don't get to binge anime as much as I used to now post grad.

IFHTT
Sat, 05-18-2019, 12:16 AM
It certainly is a nostalgia trip, coming back and seeing old friends after such a long absence.

Not gonna lie... I often find myself wishing I could turn back time 14 to 15 years and rediscover/revisit Gotwoot again in its heyday. I spent entirely too much time here, but I really had a blast hanging around here with everyone. I consider it to be a pretty defining part of my early adulthood, spanning mostly all of my twenties and into my early thirties with the few who still remain in the IRC channel. Though as of the last several months, I have even been mostly absent from discussion there.

I can only hope that all of you are healthy, happy, and making waves riding out the ebb and flow that is this tide of life.

Also, Congrats KitKat! That is outstanding! I wish all the best for you both!

Killa-Eyez
Tue, 05-21-2019, 08:48 AM
I occasionally check in to see if this bad boy's still alive. Certain insights about anime I can always appreciate.

I remember when I was a junior dev, I always visit GW in the afternoon when I am procrastinating to check if there's any fun discussion or interesting topic. Fun times.

As for me, I moved to the Netherlands. :D

Omoshiroi!

Where in the Netherlands might you be located?

I started off coming here for the AonE releases (when aone.blogspot.com was slowing down), then started chatting to people and the like. Uni days were cruisy and unengaging so I torrented and talked shit instead.

Good times.

I don't get to binge anime as much as I used to now post grad.

Aone was the sole reason for me also. I refused downloading from Dattebayo bigots.

And so the discussions began...

As of now I'm currently in between jobs so I can get my drivers license ASAP. Plans are in development to start as an engineer for the local cable company. Been together with my girlfriend for almost 10 years and Tekken and anime are still part of my routine.

Looking back I regret not being more active on here seeing how warm and lovely everybody still is. Hope y'all doing good and getting better at life. I know how hard it can be.

KitKat! Just, WOW! Hope you live happily ever after! Best of luck-droppings and lots of love-vomit into your direction!

Penner
Fri, 06-14-2019, 01:56 AM
Man... havent been here in ages, last time i posted anything was 2016 lol

DarthEnderX
Thu, 06-20-2019, 08:13 PM
So the old forums just kinda disappeared over the weekend and I pretty much panicked because I didn't know what to do about it.

Luckily when I google searched "gotwoot forums" a week later, the new .org came up.

One of the other old forums I used to visit a lot shut down recently(Everquest related), but they gave a heads up, and created a Discord server to replace the forum instead. And the Discord is getting a lot more traffic than the forum was at the end.

Wanted to see up something similar, but didn't know how to contact anyone.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-21-2019, 11:14 PM
One of the other old forums I used to visit a lot shut down recently(Everquest related), but they gave a heads up, and created a Discord server to replace the forum instead. And the Discord is getting a lot more traffic than the forum was at the end.

That's pretty much IRC right now.

Y is pushing for us to join Discord instead. He doesn't have much support right now.

Sapphire
Sat, 06-22-2019, 12:54 AM
It certainly is a nostalgia trip, coming back and seeing old friends after such a long absence.

Not gonna lie... I often find myself wishing I could turn back time 14 to 15 years and rediscover/revisit Gotwoot again in its heyday. I spent entirely too much time here, but I really had a blast hanging around here with everyone. I consider it to be a pretty defining part of my early adulthood, spanning mostly all of my twenties and into my early thirties with the few who still remain in the IRC channel. Though as of the last several months, I have even been mostly absent from discussion there.

I can only hope that all of you are healthy, happy, and making waves riding out the ebb and flow that is this tide of life.

Also, Congrats KitKat! That is outstanding! I wish all the best for you both!

Agreed. We had so many epic and interesting conversations.

ForteCross
Mon, 06-24-2019, 07:26 PM

might as well post photos from the wedding in here just to celebrate

oyabun
Wed, 09-04-2019, 03:42 AM
I occasionally check in to see if this bad boy's still alive. Certain insights about anime I can always appreciate.

Omoshiroi!

Where in the Netherlands might you be located?

I am currently in Rotterdam.

woofcat
Mon, 09-09-2019, 01:50 PM
Checking in too many years later.

Now I'm in my 30's, dear god the time is going too quickly.

David75
Thu, 09-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Checking in too many years later.

Now I'm in my 30's, dear god the time is going too quickly.
Ah ! I had no internet as a child/teen so I can't even understand. Only that I've been here from early 30s from mid 40s now... Geez...

Lucifus
Thu, 09-12-2019, 05:09 PM
Surprising to see so many are actually still checking in. Congratulations KitKat!! (I'm a year in myself, I was )

Is this resurgence the work of an email blast or something? I was 14 when I began making signatures and binge watching anime as I went through the culture shock of moving from the islands to the States. I've doubled my lifespan since my first visit and my GotWoot bookmark is still as prominent as ever. =)

Good to "see" you all alive and having your own journeys!

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-12-2019, 09:58 PM
Is this resurgence the work of an email blast or something? I was 14 when I began making signatures and binge watching anime as I went through the culture shock of moving from the islands to the States. I've doubled my lifespan since my first visit and my GotWoot bookmark is still as prominent as ever. =)

The domain gotwoot.net broke a few months back. Comp had already set up a mirror site gotwoot.org for the day it would happen permamently. Those who visited gotwoot.net thought the site had died, felt great relief upon finding it's alive again - and posted. Others who lurk might be chiming in. That's how I'm reading it.

Kraco
Fri, 09-13-2019, 12:24 PM
I was 14 when I began making signatures and binge watching anime as I went through the culture shock of moving from the islands to the States.

Speaking of signatures, yours doesn't work anymore. You gotta make a new one, haha.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 09-13-2019, 02:49 PM
I bet young people now don't even know what a signature is.. time changes everything, even the internet.

lilphatboi88
Sun, 09-22-2019, 03:47 AM
-Crazy how MCU is cool now, only nerds like liked xmen and stuff back in the 90s.
-it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a discord. where do i join?
-the hit of nostalgia is crazy, like deja vu for feelings.
-thanks for the interesting conversations and community from 15-20 years ago. Good old Naruto days.