PDA

View Full Version : Kaguya-sama: Love Is War

KrayZ33
Fri, 02-15-2019, 04:04 PM
This got me interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12NtxhHGiDs
(best ED 2019... and the OP is dope too.)

And the show is hilarious.
It's a typical rom-com but with a twist.
Although the main characters like each other, they are too proud to confess their love. They believe whoever does so first would "lose" and would end up being the "sub". The story basically follows their schemes to make the other one confess first.

Even though the setting is different and all, the humor itself reminds me of School Rumble. Over the top, silly, and full of misunderstandings.

neflight86
Fri, 02-15-2019, 05:30 PM
I dig the retro style OP, too. Its a step short of Kaiji's seriousness, but focusing on the mundane conflict of "adolescent love". Its cute.

MFauli
Sat, 02-16-2019, 12:55 PM
This is the best show this season.

Chika is bestgirl, too.

David75
Mon, 02-18-2019, 03:30 AM
I crack at each "O Kawaii koto" scene, because it reminds me of the article I read about the roots of the Kawaii adjective that really fits the tone and attitude each time :D

DarthEnderX
Tue, 05-14-2019, 02:53 AM
"...how cute."

KrayZ33
Sun, 04-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Oh yay, this is back too.

Season 2 Episode 1.

Still love the comedy in this one.

*plays a game and dies in the first round* "be careful everyone!!! ... this game sucks!"

MFauli
Sat, 04-25-2020, 05:24 PM
S2 - 03:

The moon watching was sooo hilarious. :D How Shirogane kept messing up Kaguya's plans by being too focused on the moon, haha.

The second half had me scared that this season's already over because of corona. Phew.

Gotta say though, they're both too obviously into each other by now, I'm not sure the premise of the show makes sense anymore. All that's missing is the actual phrase ('i love you'), but both clearly know about the other's feelings. I'd prefer if some progress happened. Maybe new goals? First to admit love. First to hold hands. First to kiss. And so on.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 04-25-2020, 10:42 PM
Nope. I want this conflict to continue forever. "Nothing is more boring than a requited love story." - Tatami Galaxy.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 04-27-2020, 10:47 AM
Gotta say though, they're both too obviously into each other by now, I'm not sure the premise of the show makes sense anymore. All that's missing is the actual phrase ('i love you'), but both clearly know about the other's feelings.I think you misinterpret the point of the show. Both of them have pretty much known all along that they other one likes them. The conflict is getting the other to admit it first.

It doesn't matter how "obvious" it becomes. Until one of them confesses, the struggle continues.

MFauli
Thu, 04-30-2020, 07:50 AM
I think you misinterpret the point of the show. Both of them have pretty much known all along that they other one likes them. The conflict is getting the other to admit it first.

It doesn't matter how "obvious" it becomes. Until one of them confesses, the struggle continues.

Is that true? If so I take back my criticism. Always thought they didn't know about each other's feelings for them.

KrayZ33
Thu, 04-30-2020, 10:25 AM
Is that true? If so I take back my criticism. Always thought they didn't know about each other's feelings for them.

They don't "100%know"-know, but they are aware that there is something between them, but both of them are too prideful to be the sub and the one who will confess first will be exactly that.

This show is basically about them trying NOT to confess, instead of trying TO confess.
That's the twist of this show and I think it is a really funny idea.

So, for the viewer, it's basically a game too, instead of the usual "oh god, please do it already..." (even though people obviously want them to be together at the end too, me included)

neflight86
Sun, 05-03-2020, 01:58 PM
Just caught up with the first 4 eps this season; still good to watch.

Is it just me, or has the animation/directing gotten more punchy this season? There seem to bee more off-angle shots and unique expressions this time around.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-04-2020, 12:02 AM
I thought that as well. Kaguya in particular seems to be way more expressive. But maybe that's just cause her composure is breaking down.

David75
Sat, 05-09-2020, 02:07 AM
But I miss the "O kawaï koto" memes a lot :(

DarthEnderX
Sat, 05-09-2020, 02:26 PM
Well, you're in luck, because...

---

They brought back all the S1 hits for this one! All that was missing was a new Chika dance.

"I'm never teaching again."

TO BE CONTINUED...

"...eh?!"

KrayZ33
Sun, 05-10-2020, 02:57 AM
great episode.

edit: man, I want that little Chika rap.gif meme with all kinds of music in the background

https://imgur.com/KAGaSfB

it fits to all kinds of music so well, it's so silly.
Like this for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUdciRYY8f0&list=PLB51B3C349B03012E&index=173&t=0s

I love that character. Best side character 2019+2020 imho.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 05-17-2020, 01:53 AM

---

Okay, putting that girl on the council is going to cause them endless problems during future flirtations.

MFauli
Mon, 05-18-2020, 12:34 AM
It's gonna spice things up! She's hella cute :p

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-18-2020, 04:16 AM
It's gonna UNspice things up! Because she's a huge wet blanket!

KrayZ33
Sat, 05-23-2020, 02:43 PM
episode 7

I can't stop grinning and giggling when I watch this show.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 05-24-2020, 12:26 AM
I take it back. Her running gag is pretty good.

MFauli
Sun, 05-24-2020, 02:16 AM
The shoujo variant at the end, lol

Lino continues to be the cutest

DarthEnderX
Sun, 05-24-2020, 04:03 AM
At first, I thought it was some kinda non-canon what if story. I laughed when it was revealed that's how they were actually all acting.

MFauli
Sat, 06-06-2020, 04:13 PM
S2-09:

Omg, when Iino just shut the door at the end without any reaction, cracked me up xD

DarthEnderX
Sat, 06-06-2020, 11:26 PM
Lol, yes.

If Cloud can do it, you can do it Ishigami.

KrayZ33
Sat, 06-13-2020, 12:57 PM
Episode 10:

Oh snap!
at first, after seeing the dance training, I was just going to post this: ":D"

but now after the last 5 minutes. What's going to happen!?

and Shinomiya looks good with a ponytail like that

MFauli
Tue, 06-16-2020, 02:03 PM
This anime just keeps getting better. Somehow we've left the rather episodic stories and everything just keeps building on each other. Feels like a real plot now. Honestly, with how intimate the two already are, I don't think the anime can keep going for more seasons, unless it gets really silly.

The Soran Soran dance was fantastic. So silly, so hilarious.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 06-16-2020, 02:12 PM
I was glad it wasn't JUST a rehash of the last two "Chika teaches" segments.

MFauli
Sat, 06-20-2020, 11:49 AM
Wtf was that - I'm sad now :(

KrayZ33
Sat, 06-20-2020, 01:12 PM
I'd like to point out that this was pretty intense and amazing considering that this was basically set up on the side in the last few episodes with *very* little air-time.

Kudos to the storytelling of this show.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 06-20-2020, 09:11 PM
I don't like it when this show gets serious!

DarthEnderX
Fri, 04-08-2022, 12:28 PM
S3 E1

---

So good to have this back.

MFauli
Fri, 04-08-2022, 12:33 PM
Nice episode, although I would have prefered more of a banger for the season start. This feels like last season never paused.

Whatever. Good anime.

David75
Sat, 04-09-2022, 07:05 AM
I dearly missed the fallen from grace (last season already...): "O kawaï koto"
But we had Kaguya's baby voice, so it's almost ok.
Could care less about the two newcomers from last season.

neflight86
Thu, 04-14-2022, 09:52 AM
Still strong enough in the convoluted battles of unlimited pride works. The joke's still funny.

MFauli
Fri, 04-15-2022, 01:24 PM
Season 3 Episode 2:

I mean, it's more of the same. Honestly, can one expect any meaningful character growth at this point or is it just and endless loop of the same jokes?

DarthEnderX
Fri, 04-15-2022, 10:42 PM

---

Oh shit! Hayasaka going rogue!

Lol, whoever made that ED really likes Starship Troopers.

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-16-2022, 09:38 AM
This is one of the few shows that actually make me laugh out loud.

"his singing sounds like the guts of a sea slug".
And his stupid face and gestures. Oh man.

---

Oh shit! Hayasaka going rogue!

Lol, whoever made that ED really likes Starship Troopers.

imagine it being a spoiler for their next show.
Seriously though. That ED is pretty awesome to look at

DarthEnderX
Sat, 04-16-2022, 12:45 PM
It's not even like it's just a generic sci-fi ending. It is clearly DIRECTLY modeled after the Starship Troopers movie.

Which, don't get me wrong, that movie's great. But it's a weird pull for a Japanese studio.

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-16-2022, 02:42 PM
It's not even like it's just a generic sci-fi ending. It is clearly DIRECTLY modeled after the Starship Troopers movie.

Which, don't get me wrong, that movie's great. But it's a weird pull for a Japanese studio.

Aside from it obviously not really fitting the show:

Why that? Afaik Starship Troopers had a OVA-series back in the 90s or something
And the CGI movies were japanese-made as well.

neflight86
Mon, 04-18-2022, 05:19 PM
The ed was certainly striking in its production (I kept wondering what it was a parody of).

I forgot that she made a bet to seduce him, and about the whole separate persona thing she has going on with kaicho. Sad that Chaika got effectively called out for nothing. What a waste.

I like that the Disciplinary president 'knows' how to deal with Miko due to experience.

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-30-2022, 08:46 AM
episode 4

--------------------------------------------

oh man, this show keeps cracking me up. The characters are so fun to watch. Maybe it's the voice acting as well. It's just amazing.
The nosebleeding scene was so dumb, haha.

MFauli
Sat, 04-30-2022, 09:28 AM
Poor Ishigaki :(

Although I dont like this random crush of his. He's supposed to get together with Iino, ffs!

DarthEnderX
Sat, 04-30-2022, 11:44 AM
Iino is a boobpunch. Don't saddle Ishigaki with that.

neflight86
Wed, 05-04-2022, 01:03 PM
I'll also ship the upbeat girl as his counterpart.

Poor Chika getting the wrong idea to hilarious effect. Thankfully, Kaguya continues to show the joke without ever stopping to explain all but the most basic context, and allow the audience to fill in blanks as needed.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 05-06-2022, 12:56 PM

---

That episode was cringy as FUCK! But at least it gave us "MotherXXXer!"

ED was cool at least.

KrayZ33
Fri, 05-06-2022, 11:37 PM
Just another awesome episode

https://i.imgur.com/UxFacaD.png

ED was cool at least.

Ishigami being the true MVP there.
Kaguya had to push him onto the stage because he didn't want to go out but then he just enjoyed it after all and "pwned" the whole floor with his breakdance moves and support ninja dances.

neflight86
Sat, 05-07-2022, 11:09 AM
That ED was really spectacular. Was that a parody or homage, does anyone know?

Rest of the episode was more Kaguya shenanigans that stand on the strength of the premise and situational jokes themselves.

KrayZ33
Mon, 05-09-2022, 02:15 PM
Is that...smoke dispenser-neck-warmer actually a thing in real life for shows and performances?
I've never seen that. It would probably be cool to use in some cosplay costunes.

Berserk Skeleton Knight
Warhammer 40k Cosplay
Stuff like that. Probably way too hot though.

neflight86
Wed, 05-18-2022, 02:17 PM

Objectively, another fine display of hijinks. Hiyasaka's mother is just as twisted and Shirogane's dad made the scene whole. We now have a deadline for action that will... ultimately hold no significance, I'm sure, but at least the guys had fun at the culture festival!

neflight86
Thu, 05-26-2022, 12:06 PM

It was a pre-existing condition.

They're really building the school festival up; I hope the payoff's worth it!

MFauli
Mon, 05-30-2022, 08:55 PM
episode 8:

I loved the fashion-for-Shirogane, lol. He's dressing like I would xD His hair clip broke me, though, rofl.

Story-wise, we seem to actually be getting somewhere. I really hope the anime ends with this season, it has already been spreading thin a bit, and not every anime needs to keep going forever. If they wanna continue, I'd prefer an after-confession story, showing us their relationship life and such. I could easily imagine a full season where each of them must prove themselves to the other's family, like Shirogane must convince the Shinomiya-family, and Kaguya tries to fit in with Shirogane's dad and sister. Would be pretty funny.

Looking forward to the festival.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 05-30-2022, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I still love this show, but they really ran the "Chika teaches Shirogane" bit into the ground.

KrayZ33
Tue, 05-31-2022, 03:59 AM
Yeah, I still love this show, but they really ran the "Chika teaches Shirogane" bit into the ground.

Really? I always find it suprisingly fresh due to how they keep getting Chika in the teacher role.

First she did it because she wanted to help.
Then she did it because she got jealous
Then she did it because others don't do it right. The latest one where the other girl basically said "it's okay to give up" made me crack up again when Chika did a 180° saying: "WTF!!!!!!!! why would you tell a child to give up - how is he supposed to develop properly when he will just give up at the first sight of trouble"

It's hilarious - and it's one of the few moments were you can see that she is actually talented in something else other than cheating. I'm totally in love with her character whenever they play a game as well.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 05-31-2022, 05:34 AM
It just happens so much that it's lost it's specialness. It was, like, the highpoint of S1. But doing it more than once per season just feels like pandering.

KrayZ33
Tue, 05-31-2022, 08:05 AM
Ah, yeah.. maybe. One or twice certainly is enough.

But did they actually use it often in this season?
I only remember the reverse-teaching this time around when Chika learned how to rap together with him?

Or do you mean the parts were Shirogane says "I'm somewhat bad at this" and not particulary Chika teaching him stuff?

MFauli
Tue, 05-31-2022, 09:32 AM
I would be okay with it, if most of her later training arc weren't so half-assed. Only the singing- and volleyball-training were fun, because it went into more detail.

MFauli
Mon, 06-06-2022, 03:53 AM
episode 9:

Oh my, now that it's getting really good again, the season is almost over.

I really hope we'll see some successful confessions in the last 3 episodes.

David75
Mon, 06-06-2022, 05:41 AM
The ED might be misleading but that last scene with our MCs in their 20s lets me think they are a couple by then. Even if the stolen kiss could mean they are still in the courtship phase.

KrayZ33
Fri, 06-10-2022, 04:01 PM
Episode 10:

that bean bag juggling "what if" scenario, lmao.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 06-10-2022, 04:16 PM
They faked me out with it, for sure.

MFauli
Fri, 06-10-2022, 05:42 PM
How did this anime suddenly become so epic?! lol

This is exactly what it was missing for the majority of this season, a clear progression. Really excited now. And damn, Ishigami with that confession. Pls let it be successful >_>

That actual-torture-abuse-sceme with Iino, though .... rofl

neflight86
Fri, 06-17-2022, 10:25 AM
The downside with the climactic setup is that we either will get a conclusion, and Kaguya will be over, or some sort of soft reset that is satisfying to no one. I'm hoping for the former.

Great pacing and jokes, at any rate. This is peak LiW.

David75
Fri, 06-17-2022, 01:54 PM
A show that keeps delivering each and every episode.
Kaguya can easily go to Stanford too. And the last scene of the ED could lead to that idea.

MFauli
Fri, 06-17-2022, 04:15 PM
Why did they start this final arc so late, damnit. It's just too rushed now, I feel. If the season had 1-2 more episodes, it'd be the perfect send off, but now next episode will either feel rushed, or they'll announce another season that will most likely start to drag really badly.

This week's episode was fantastic, though.

MFauli
Fri, 06-24-2022, 01:52 PM
episode 12:

what is this bs? what's going on?!

Edit: Ah, it's two episodes. Sigh. back to watching the rest.

Edit:

Episode 13:

Well, that would have been better to know that there's two episodes at once for the finale >_>

It was a nice finale, liked the tower visuals with the hearts flying around it. One of the girls going to literal heaven because she caught a glimpse at their kiss was hilarious.

And while a kiss (with tongue!!!1) is as good as a confession, the fact that afterwards both of them went back to "was that a confession? I need to hear it!" took away a bit of that satisfaction before.

Either way, this is was a reasonably good way to end the anime and I'm glad it got a proper ending at all. Most comedy anime never make any real progression and just end, Kaguya-sama instead showed real progression over the course of three seasons. I guess I'd need to read the manga for more details on other characters like Shirogane's father or Kaguya's family, but I'm good with what I got. It's surprisingly rare to watch multi-season anime with a proper ending, so I'm glad we got here.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 06-24-2022, 06:36 PM
WTF Subsplease doesn't have ep 13!

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-24-2022, 10:37 PM
Manga seems to be ongoing, not sure if they made an anime original end, or if this is still midway through the story.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 06-25-2022, 12:35 AM
Manga seems to be ongoing, not sure if they made an anime original end, or if this is still midway through the story.Seems like this episode lines up with chapter 136 (https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/kaguyasama-wa-kokurasetai/images/d/de/136.png). So it's not anime original.

The current chapter is 261 and still going...

David75
Sat, 06-25-2022, 01:22 AM
The only trick is the Stanford one. Either he can't go for whatever reason, or Kaguya can follow. Pretty sure she's an outstanding student and would be accepted if she applied.
He can't let this chance go as it is pretty much his only chance to be worthy of interrest to Kaguya's parents, as he is a nobody from a nobody familly.

I don't know how they deal with it in the manga, probably a lukewarm idea like Standford and Suchiin create a common program that top Suchiin second years can attend while staying at Suchiin for their 3rd year and only move to Stanford after that.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 06-25-2022, 01:41 AM
Unless they're still on the same year, I can't see them going to Stanford and losing the entire supporting cast.

What even is this show without Chika?

David75
Sat, 06-25-2022, 01:44 AM
Hence the lukewarm idea

KrayZ33
Sat, 06-25-2022, 03:39 AM
How awesome was that.

Even the end after all that happened. Best multi-season show in years.

As for the Manga, they still have a roughly about a whole year left as far as I understood it.
Both the supporting cast love triangle has to be solved as well as Shinomiya's family issues.

And it's not like their relationship is done. I happen to know (by chance) that stuff is happening between the two which I'm not going to explain further but there is lots of things to be done for more chapters and even more seasons.

As much is I'd like to explore the manga, I believe this show also got hardcarried by the VAs and animation. I'm sure I'll just be disappointed in the manga by comparsion so I'll just either wait for another season or leave here, where it also made a great ending point even if my heart wants more.

But someone like Chika is just going to be less fun without animation and voice.

David75
Sun, 06-26-2022, 12:15 AM
Ep13 was late into the night (or early morning here)

The confession did happen with hearts given per the school legend to Kaguya and she gave him a kiss.
And they used the cheap excuse none of them voiced their confession.
That's a way of closing the anime without straying to much from the manga I guess.

Kaguya going to Stanford was a given, nice touch he is the one to ask and had a letter of recomendation prepared for her.

Last scene was a proper end. I do not think they can milk another season after that. And a Standford arc would feel very different with the supporting crew out of the picture... even if a movie could work in a non academic setting.

neflight86
Sun, 06-26-2022, 10:24 PM
That did really feel like an ending to the series, and I'm satisfied with that. Too bad they tried to leave enough dangling to potentially warrant another season; it weakened this ending a bit. Great show that I'd recommend to almost anyone.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 06-26-2022, 11:25 PM
I do NOT like that they might be setting up a love triangle for Ishigami.

It's not even a contest! Iino is a wet fart!

MFauli
Mon, 06-27-2022, 05:38 AM
Iino is a wet fart!

Most offensive thing you've ever posted on this forum.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 06-27-2022, 11:02 AM
The dampest of butt secretions!

DarthEnderX
Tue, 04-04-2023, 08:54 PM
So...4 new episodes of this just dropped out of nowhere.

MFauli
Tue, 04-04-2023, 10:25 PM
So...4 new episodes of this just dropped out of nowhere.

Oh, so this was something new.

Apparently it's a movie and it was split in several episodes.

David75
Wed, 04-05-2023, 12:18 AM
Nice conclusion to the show... unless there's an after.
A 12 eps conclusion would have worked, less rushed and more supporting cast. After all supporting characters are what makes that show whole.
Regarding an after, maybe that scene in the ED last season is enough. Not easy to depict Stanford environnement, even more for Japanese people with no experience of the place. And you can't have your characters all move there.
You could offer a twist, or find a way to only focus on out campus life, but the school setting was also a strong part of the show.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 04-05-2023, 01:33 AM
Nice conclusion to the show... unless there's an after.We're only half way through the manga. These episodes ended at chapter 151.

There's 281 chapters.

David75
Wed, 04-05-2023, 08:48 AM
Oh, I won't ask how they dissolve the last bit of time before the usa into so many chapters or if there's another road taken. I dislike spoilers so I'll wait and see another 5 to 10 years if they ever animate what's next.
For some reason I think the show peaked at the kiss scene and these 4 eps offer a nice conclusion to the best part.
But I might be wrong.

MFauli
Thu, 04-06-2023, 03:15 AM
We're only half way through the manga. These episodes ended at chapter 151.

There's 281 chapters.

I really hope the anime is done. Perfect end, nothing more needed. Anything more would approach Big Bang Theory-levels where at the end everyone ends up married and pregnant, yawn.

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-06-2023, 06:07 PM
We're only half way through the manga. These episodes ended at chapter 151.

There's 281 chapters.

With a canon cross-over epilogue in Chapter 90.1 of Oshi no Ko.