PDA

View Full Version : Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari

Pages : [1] 2

David75
Mon, 12-31-2018, 07:44 AM
Introduction/Pre-air episode is out

From ANN:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=19826

Plot Summary:Naofumi Iwatani, an uncharismatic otaku who spends his days on games and manga, suddenly finds himself summoned to a parallel universe. He discovers he is one of four heroes equipped with legendary weapons and tasked with saving the world from its prophesied destruction. As the Shield Hero, the weakest of the heroes, all is not as it seems. Naofumi is soon alone, penniless, and betrayed. With no one to turn to, and nowhere to run, he is left with only his shield. Now, Naofumi must rise to become the legendary Shield Hero and save the world. (from manga)

-----------
Well, slow paced for a manga reader waiting for more.
But the best parts are for next ep... no spoilers :D

KrayZ33
Mon, 12-31-2018, 09:02 AM
where to get it from? or will they air the same episode again when it's released for real?

David75
Mon, 12-31-2018, 11:26 AM
animetosho
search :
[!?- Mizore] Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari - 01 (Preair).mkv

There are two other options, but the hdr version is awful and the other one is only 44kb... probably a virus :D

David75
Sun, 01-06-2019, 11:00 AM
Episode 1 available at HorribleSubs.
It's the same as the preAir one.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-06-2019, 12:13 PM
The punishment (death) for attempted rape in their kingdom is ridiculous, and the sheer lack of investigation is also insane. Since he was a VIP, they should've looked into it more instead of just one sidedly sentencing him. I mean, think about it. If he did plan to commit a crime and was foiled, why the heck would he be leisurely sleeping in the same room..?

I'd get it if it was some random civilian who was being accused, but if he is so vital to the future of the world, he shouldn't get such nonsensical treatment, even if it's a princess accusing him. After all, it's a world of magic. It's certainly possible he was mind controlled, or the princess was mind controlled, or that one of them is a fake, or a hundred other possibilities aside from "he is just that depraved and dumb."

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-06-2019, 02:29 PM
The series has some major plot holes, but I was/am still willing to forgive it and shut my brain off just a bit. They are actually exploring a mechanic where the protagonist has no offensive abilities of his own, and has already become a pariah so his last resort is buying a slave. So that, at least, is something new. Its rare to see fiction in any medium where the protagonist isn't just an anti-hero, but actually acts like a villain. But not moustache twirling over the top evil for evil's sake like Overlord.

(It's obvious he won't be one forever, but it'll be nice while it lasts.)

That and the animation is actually pretty well done.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-06-2019, 02:43 PM
I still really like this show because I love revenge stories and underdog stories. I'm just pissed they didn't handle the rape accusation thing better.

KrayZ33
Sun, 01-06-2019, 03:15 PM
Yay, I enjoyed it, just like I hoped I would. In my opinion this show has some issue with sounds and inner monologues- or at least "I" have an issue with it. It sounded like it was a cinema rip of some sort during a few moments.

But that's just something I found a little "weird".

Anichart states that the first episode will air in 3 days.. I wonder if it'll re-air this one?

Kraco
Sun, 01-06-2019, 06:34 PM
I still really like this show because I love revenge stories and underdog stories. I'm just pissed they didn't handle the rape accusation thing better.

Maybe the anime didn't handle the hints well enough, but from a few things, as early as the king completely ignoring Naofumi and Naofumi being told the Shield Hero is the dud hero, you are already supposed to understand the country sees no value in the Shield Hero. It's not just the bitch who betrayed him. It's more or less everybody around. Thus there's absolutely nobody who would want to investigate anything. It was highly convenient for them they could throw him away based on these hollow charges. It's not like the rumours would have spread so fast and wide if the government hadn't wanted it. Thus, the rape accusation was handled just fine. It was like being accused of a crime in Russia: The moment you are accused is the moment you are found guilty. Everything after that is just theater with a predetermined outcome.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-06-2019, 06:50 PM
Well I guess the king's reaction is understandable because an investigation could turn out very bad for him since the only other outcome aside from guilty would be the princess lying. I'm surprised everyone else, especially people from Japan, turned on him so easily though. Normally you'd think they'd demand due process at least.

Another thing I don't understand is the accuser's reasoning. If she just wanted his coins, she could've stolen them and pretended none the wiser, then just leave Naofumi at a later date, with him still thinking some third party did the stealing. He certainly seemed gullible enough for that. She didn't have to pretend to be assaulted and ruin the guy's life because that doesn't benefit her at all and carries much more risk, like revenge.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-06-2019, 06:53 PM
I disagree Kraco. The anime is not subtle, it is blatant. There are hints throughout the episode about Myne and what she was planning on doing.

He messed up her plan by not drinking the wine that was 100% drugged. But she executed the plan anyway. I'm honestly surprised he didn't notice what she was up to when she was laying it on so damn thick at dinner.

He woke up sober, and he woke up early. He probably was supposed to get caught in the room with all the planted evidence by the guards, doubting even himself.

edit
Psst...shinta...it's hinted visually, but not stated. Myne is an adventurer, just like the king said.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Ryll, do you mean the guards or even the king is in on the plan? I thought it was just Myne's doing, but they just didn't give a shit about Naofumi so it ended up that way.

And can you clarify how Myne being an adventurer is related?

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-06-2019, 06:59 PM
Someone in the government is in on the plan. That's for sure. The extra coins for Naofumi, most of which got spent, the guards being at the inn in full force, the guards finding evidence that clearly was not there.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-06-2019, 07:02 PM
Now that you mention it, that makes sense. The princess should have a lot of power and influence after all. But what could be her motive? If she could move that much people or is in league with someone who can, Naofumi's coins can't be her main goal. That'd just be stupid.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-06-2019, 07:08 PM
Well, I tried to cover it, but the hints are there anyway at the 5:31 mark.

Because she's a sadist, and wanted to get all her high-quality adventuring equipment for free (and not from Motoyasu's funds, or her own), while not looking to the other three heroes like she is an evil sadist.

She's laying it on so fucking thick because she enjoys being a sadistic bitch, and Naofumi is a dumbass for not seeing it.

Framing Naofumi is clearly a game to her. Hence the tongue and eye face.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-06-2019, 07:10 PM
So the kingdom is supporting such a shallow bitch.

They really deserve to be destroyed by Naofumi then, assuming that's what he ends up doing.

David75
Mon, 01-07-2019, 12:27 AM
I'm surprised everyone else, especially people from Japan, turned on him so easily though. Normally you'd think they'd demand due process at least.
Well, Naofumi found out they are all from alternative worlds. So Japan in each world will have differences.
But even IRL, justice in Japan can be manipulated by powerful people, we have a clear example happening right now.

Kraco
Mon, 01-07-2019, 04:22 AM
Well I guess the king's reaction is understandable because an investigation could turn out very bad for him since the only other outcome aside from guilty would be the princess lying. I'm surprised everyone else, especially people from Japan, turned on him so easily though. Normally you'd think they'd demand due process at least.

Another thing I don't understand is the accuser's reasoning. If she just wanted his coins, she could've stolen them and pretended none the wiser, then just leave Naofumi at a later date, with him still thinking some third party did the stealing. He certainly seemed gullible enough for that. She didn't have to pretend to be assaulted and ruin the guy's life because that doesn't benefit her at all and carries much more risk, like revenge.

The other three were familiar with the game setting, and the Shield Hero was a character only losers would play in the game, apparently. I have no doubt they thought fighting without the Shield Hero would be safer than having him in the mix. Since they were also so eager to ask for compensation and good terms for themselves, it's reasonable to think they would demand the Shield Hero's share as well from now on. In fact the Spear dude already got some of it.

The bitch needed this for practical purposes to exit the Shield Hero's team quickly, with a good justification, keeping the stolen loot as well. When Naofumi was accused of an attempted rape, nobody would pay attention to some petty theft. Furthermore, she also made herself the victim, gaining sympathy, even if smarter people would have seen through her. She doesn't want to belong to the useless Shield Hero's team a single day longer than necessary. None of them would, as was seen when the adventurers got to choose their team.

KrayZ33
Mon, 01-07-2019, 12:02 PM
So the kingdom is supporting such a shallow bitch.

They really deserve to be destroyed by Naofumi then, assuming that's what he ends up doing.

Not *necessarily* related, but the kingdom is a matriarchy, yet the heroes were greeted by the king and the other chair in the throne-room was empty. I found that detail somewhat interesting and certainly wouldn't have noticed it if it weren't for that scene in the inn.

In a matriarchy, the king doesn't rule, a princess would inherit first.

NeoCybercoin
Mon, 01-07-2019, 02:33 PM
That cloaked figure might be working for the queen though. Maybe the Queen is more of a behind the scenes kind of gal.

MFauli
Mon, 01-07-2019, 02:47 PM
Rape as the gravest sin made me laugh. Sjw-infested anime?

Btw I didn't understand how that Kingdom is a matriarchy. The king is ... male?

Shinta, of all the things, everybody taking the girl's side without proper investigation was the least unrealistic part of this episode :/

shinta|hikari
Mon, 01-07-2019, 03:29 PM
Taking the girl's side is common enough, but sentencing and carrying out that punishment without an investigation is not as common. Then again, it's a monarchy, so I shouldn't expect modern justice systems, which are quite fallible still, from it.

Ryllharu
Mon, 01-07-2019, 04:02 PM
The series has ample plot holes, but the matriarchy situation isn't one of them.

That the heroes can't level effectively around each other (while we end up seeing exactly that with the other three on the first day) is one of the bigger plot holes. There's no real reason for it to happen, and its sole purpose appears to make it easier for the author to isolate the shield hero.

The other three heroes are also morons. Nobody wants to play a shield class in the games they're playing. "Nobody wants to be the tank."

Sure, tanks aren't always popular classes, but everyone sure as hell wants one in their group. So either all the MMOs they play aren't team-based or possess the holy trinity, or they are loner isekai-series trope protagonists.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 01-07-2019, 04:08 PM
The big problem with the tank class in this show is they can't wield a weapon, which is really strange. Then again, it's an alternate world, so the author can go ahead with whatever setup he wishes, as long as he doesn't contradict it later on.

About the leveling, maybe it's just because of the last hit issue? If you have your own party, you can let the hero get all the exp and level them fast, but if all heroes are together, they will have to share the exp in each battle. It doesn't mean they can't level at all, but that it's much less efficient than splitting up.

KrayZ33
Mon, 01-07-2019, 05:28 PM
That the heroes can't level effectively around each other (while we end up seeing exactly that with the other three on the first day) is one of the bigger plot holes. There's no real reason for it to happen, and its sole purpose appears to make it easier for the author to isolate the shield hero.

well, by that logic, there is also no reason why the enemy has to arrive in waves and will only arrive when the hourglass turns, or why the heroes can not use any other weapon whatsoever. But where exactly do we see the other 3 heroes working together? I don't think that ever happened.

Not sure if any of that ever gets answered but I guess they could've shown some kind of repelling force, not that it would do any good at the moment because how would that have been any different to what they are being told, I certainly don't expect this to be explained right now until much later in the show.
They never said they can't be in close proximity to each other, they said they can't work as group together. Since it's more or less a game, isn't it more or less save to assume they can't work in the same party, at least not if they want to level up. Since most games mess up group XP and group leveling, this is actually (most likely by accident lol) pretty accurate, gehhh..

Though I honestly believe it's because they mentioned that there is an hourglass in every nation, maybe it's the game's way of telling the "players" to help each of them instead of working as one unit since they could only help one town/city/kingdom that way. On top of that, having to deal with your weakness certainly makes you stronger in the end too. Seeing how players that tend to solo stuff and work around their weakness (lack of tanking/damage/utility abiliteis) and find new, more efficient ways to beat something... but I think the "splitt up and help everyone"-method is more likely/more reasonable.

As for wanting a tank, well that depends on the game. I guess the holy trinity is common in western games.. I really don't think it is as common in JRPGs though. The tanker will eventually be dropped in favor of more damage depending on how the game works. Many games work like that too (especially turn based ones)

Ryllharu
Mon, 01-07-2019, 06:41 PM
Or, considering that the government had a hand in framing Naofumi, and dismissed him on the sole basis he was the shield hero, everything they said could be totally full of shit.

The other three are all attackers, so one would think that the shield hero with no offensive abilities was meant to be a tank and generate all the aggro. Naofumi's defense is really high. He got gnawed on all day by the orange balloons and doesn't appear to be fazed at all. Normal folks freak out about those things biting the shit out of them.

MFauli
Mon, 01-07-2019, 07:52 PM
I don't see much issue with the shield-guy being a non-offensive tank only (for now).

No amount of offensive power will save you if the enemy starts with an overwhelming attack that offensive units can't avert. This is me speculating, but imagine the enemy makes a volcano erupt near the kingdom, lava rivers flowing towards the city. Offensive heroes? Can't do a thing. Naofumi? Activates his by then evolved mega shield to protect an entire town! Even thought smaller scale, a fantastic defender allows his offensive companions to better focus on damage dealing.

Ffs, I could even see some plot twist later on that'd basically: "The 3 offensive heroes failed, the 3rd/final wave was too much - but the Kingdom survived thanks to the shield hero - and thus a new cycle can begin". Stuff like that.

Anyway, my point: having no offensive powers is not an impossible problem.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 01-07-2019, 08:26 PM
That's true, but this Queendom (?) is retarded for supporting a princess as she ruins one of the heroes, somehow giving tiny allowances to heroes who will save the world (just enough for some equipment, really!? how poor is that country??), and overall draconian laws.

I wouldn't put it past them to hate the shield, even if the shield is a critical weapon throughout our world's war history including the present (bulletproof shields, gun shields, etc.). Maybe in their world the shield was only used as a food platter or something.

The fact that their society is supposedly matriarchal even though women are supposedly weaker than men (soldiers = men, heroes = men, important people = men) is unrealistic. If men are physically stronger than women in their world, a true matriarchy can't exist, just like there is no unambiguous matriarchy in our own history (or so most experts say).

Shadow Skill
Mon, 01-07-2019, 09:03 PM
After I watched the first episode I wanted more. I started buying the Volumes on Kindle Vol 1 to Vol 5. Probably take me all week to read Vol 4 between work and not work lol and then Vol 5 for Saturday.

Kraco
Tue, 01-08-2019, 04:04 AM
I don't see much issue with the shield-guy being a non-offensive tank only (for now).

Anyway, my point: having no offensive powers is not an impossible problem.

We obviously know it's not going to be a problem, but it doesn't affect the current situation. The three other heroes have their impression from the game they played, and it's safe to say the game was either poorly optimised or the shield hero in it was an unsatisfying chore to play in practice. Probably not the game devs' intention, but such flaws are hardly rare in games. Perhaps the very fact the shield hero was no good for the players is then reflected by the general attitude of the kingdom's population, making the shield hero a dud in their minds and not worth supporting. Or perhaps past summoned shield heroes only caused trouble. We can come up with any number of scenarios, but it doesn't change those folk's opinion. Naofumi is the only one who can do it by kicking ass like there's no tomorrow, proving them all wrong.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-08-2019, 08:46 AM
I find it funny that the heroes summoned to save the world based their opinion of a real weapon on a game, instead of um, their reality. Even if the world they got transported to is game-like, it doesn't change the fact that it is reality to them now and the natives. That world is doomed.

Shadow Skill
Fri, 01-11-2019, 01:26 AM
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2019-01-11/the-rising-of-the-shield-hero-anime-listed-with-25-episodes/.141905

Enjoy :) <3

shinta|hikari
Fri, 01-11-2019, 01:29 AM
Enjoy what..? 25 episodes?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM
I'm feeling the bitterness of the MC. Let's rip that girl a new asshole.

"The 3 offensive heroes failed, the 3rd/final wave was too much - but the Kingdom survived thanks to the shield hero - and thus a new cycle can begin". Stuff like that.

Or,.. "Fucking tank didn't do its job properly and we all died".

I'd love to see Shield Hero sit around during Wave 2 going "Well, I could save you, but what'd I get out of it?"

Shadow Skill
Sat, 01-12-2019, 01:19 AM
Enjoy what..? 25 episodes?

Reading the news... or the 25 episodes... :/

shinta|hikari
Sat, 01-12-2019, 01:59 AM
Why not both?

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Episode 02

-------------------------------------------------------

Ahhhhh, the feel-good episode feels so good.

I'm slightly surprised that Naofumi isn't more broken than he is. The whole slave thing must give him so much peace of mind.

Of course, the most intriguing thing about this episode was that someone asked the slave merchant to approach Naofumi, and that someone hinted that he'd take Raphtalia as well. The same someone connected to the shifty cloaked person during the rape "hearing" I'd gather.

KrayZ33
Wed, 01-16-2019, 01:27 PM
What a sweetheart.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 01-16-2019, 02:16 PM
"A slave isn't a person"

Proceeds to treat her like an actual child and taking good care of her. Kind contradicting yourself there buddy!
But loved the episode regardless. But I feel like they skipped out on another nice scene that shows him taking care of her.

MFauli
Wed, 01-16-2019, 03:19 PM
Loved the episode, but it somewhat felt like Naofumi is a completely different person from episode 1. Way more serious, calm and pragmatic.

Not complaining, because I like a hero who accepts that slaves are part of the world and makes use of it instead going full-sjw and try to rescue them all.

There won't be a time skip, eh? Would love to see the girl grow up into an Asuna-like warrior. And then she marries Naofumi.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 01-16-2019, 03:23 PM
He already accepted what people think of him and just doesn't give a shit anymore about any of them or their rules.

David75
Wed, 01-16-2019, 03:28 PM
It felt so much better than the manga.
Probably because the OST meshes so well with each scene.
I was waiting for Raphtalia, I'm now pleased.

KrayZ33
Wed, 01-16-2019, 05:22 PM
Weird,

a little detail I was able to pick up.

It seems like he needs 67xp to get from lvl 5 to lvl 6
That wolf was lvl 15, already way higher than he was, that kill would've easily granted him ~3 levels.
Even the slimes could probably push him another 3 levels depending on whether he still gets XP when he outlevels them.

I can only imagine how far ahead the others heroes are right now.

Kraco
Wed, 01-16-2019, 06:00 PM
"A slave isn't a person"

Proceeds to treat her like an actual child and taking good care of her. Kind contradicting yourself there buddy!
But loved the episode regardless. But I feel like they skipped out on another nice scene that shows him taking care of her.

A non-pedophile person from a modern, civilised country would find it difficult to mistreat a child unless pushed by pressing circumstances. He obviously will talk like a tough guy after what he went through, but it's more difficult to really change his beliefs, manners, and actions rooted deep within.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-16-2019, 06:27 PM
So, is Naofumi a vampire? Or are all summoned heroes vampires?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-17-2019, 01:18 AM

Oh shit. Either a huge hint or fuckup.. unsure of which.

Kraco
Thu, 01-17-2019, 03:18 AM

Haha. I had a feeling there was something wrong about that scene, but I didn't go back to check what it was.

KrayZ33
Thu, 01-17-2019, 05:19 AM
I didn't even notice that he lets his shield eat the hair, what the hell.

UPGRADE - "HAIR SHIELDO" (+2 extensions)

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 01-17-2019, 10:22 AM
Yeah noticed that too! Was like...is he feeding the shield her hair!?
And yeah he did. It can absorb all kinds of materials so might just get something good out of it :P

David75
Thu, 01-17-2019, 10:29 AM
Naofumi is now so ugly his shield absorbs his reflexion in the miror to protect him :D

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-17-2019, 11:37 AM
I'm amazed you guys picked all of that up. I was just absorbed by the cuteness.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-17-2019, 12:00 PM
I was absorbed by the moe too. My wife pointed it out to me, probably pissed that I was loli-lusting.

MFauli
Thu, 01-17-2019, 01:40 PM
Tbh I found the shiels abilities are kinda cheating. "it's a shield ... but also a rope!"

If this is overdone, it'd ruin the series' premise.

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 01-17-2019, 02:45 PM
Think that's mostly because it can absorb anything as materials and use it. I'd be looking forward to the Spork Shield. Waaay too OP.
A fork...but also a spoon..AS A SHIELD!

MFauli
Wed, 01-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Episode 3:

1 week, huh?

Wat

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-23-2019, 01:02 PM
That was a short-lived one week loli-paradise.

Too bad he wasn't evil enough to let shitty people get mauled to death. He's just a dude who lacks trust and self confidence now without being truly bitter. At least that's the case towards those randoms. Maybe he can only truly lash out at the princess.

KrayZ33
Wed, 01-23-2019, 01:16 PM
That scene where Raphtalia dashed out of Naofumi's embrace to fight the royal knights looked awesome.

The knights were suprisingly useful in fighting the monsters.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 01-23-2019, 01:42 PM
Too bad they aren't showing his hatred and anger more. The bags under his eyes in the manga reflected that a lot more.

David75
Wed, 01-23-2019, 02:37 PM
The op shows Raphtalia at a latter level. She only gets better :o
Raphtalia's fast growth only shows how good Naofumi is at grinding.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-23-2019, 03:00 PM
Those other heroes deserve a beating, especially the spear dude. The princess deserves to be raped then killed.

KrayZ33
Wed, 01-23-2019, 05:25 PM
That was a short-lived one week loli-paradise.

Ya, but honestly, current Raphtalia is still very childish and thus cute. (Like the table manners part)
But she sure grew out a different personality in just a single week, I think that's a bit too open-hearted for a mistreated child that did suffer from slavery.

Another thing that I don't grasp is how everyone treats her so well... I'm pretty sure they made it clear that demi-humans are a lesser race.

MFauli
Wed, 01-23-2019, 05:28 PM
Those other heroes deserve a beating, especially the spear dude. The princess deserves to be raped then killed.

Seriously, she deserves to be Goblin'd. Although I should praise the anime, because despite everyone thinking Naofumi is a rapist, they treat him not sooo badly. Progress.

Kraco
Wed, 01-23-2019, 06:15 PM
Seriously, she deserves to be Goblin'd. Although I should praise the anime, because despite everyone thinking Naofumi is a rapist, they treat him not sooo badly. Progress.

The merchants treated him badly before he threatened them with the balloon monsters, aside from the blacksmith dude whom he simply won over. The other heroes actually know he didn't really rape, or attempt to rape, anyone; they aren't stupid. So, they are just maintaining the setting they committed to. Other than that, he's still one of the heroes, no matter if the Shield Hero is shunned by the nation, so they can't actually get rid of him totally.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-24-2019, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure that the other Heroes really do believe that Naofumi is innocent. The imperial guards' investigation was about as good as expected from Japanese police, which is seemingly enough to satisfy the general Japanese.

I agree regarding the timeframe argument. Raphtallia's growth should have been over a month or something, not one week.

Kraco
Thu, 01-24-2019, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure that the other Heroes really do believe that Naofumi is innocent. The imperial guards' investigation was about as good as expected from Japanese police, which is seemingly enough to satisfy the general Japanese.

The whole case looked extremely phony, especially with the spear dude wearing Naofumi's armour and the bitch sticking to him. They would need to be idiots not to see through it. However, it's convenient for them to believe in the accusations, so they could perhaps convince themselves.

KrayZ33
Thu, 01-24-2019, 04:58 PM
The whole case looked extremely phony, especially with the spear dude wearing Naofumi's armour and the bitch sticking to him. They would need to be idiots not to see through it. However, it's convenient for them to believe in the accusations, so they could perhaps convince themselves.

Well, but no one even knew it was Naofumi's armor.

All they saw was a girl that was scared of Naofumi and the local police force accusing him of doing something. And since they have no reason to not believe them since they are heroes and saviours... who and why would they accuse him of something that didn't happen.

Kraco
Thu, 01-24-2019, 05:46 PM
Well, but no one even knew it was Naofumi's armor.

All they saw was a girl that was scared of Naofumi and the local police force accusing him of doing something. And since they have no reason to not believe them since they are heroes and saviours... who and why would they accuse him of something that didn't happen.

Yeah, and Naofumi is a hero as well, so why would they believe he's a criminal? Those four are basically the outsiders. However, they knew from the beginning the Shield Hero is the odd one out. How convenient is it to accuse him immediately of something, to throw him to wolves to get his portion of the stipend as well? It's one of those cases where nothing makes sense, like why Naofumi would still have been there, robbed clean to boot, if he had attempted a rape, yet let the victim escape? Well, it's basically the same as the Japanese police: When a crime happens, they arrest the most obvious suspect, and then pressure a confession out of the poor bastard or if that doesn't work, the court of justice will figure something out. Just like Bill said earlier, so it makes sense Japanese authors wouldn't think anything is out of place in a scene like this.

Naofumi shouted it's his armour, so unless they have gone deaf, they would know.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-24-2019, 06:27 PM
Well, the bitch did say he "tried" to assault her while "drunk." This makes his crime much lighter because you don't even know if he wanted to rape her or just came on too strong to her due to inebriation. This also makes it more believable that he stayed around (fell asleep drunk) after the act, then forgot all about it.

Maybe that's why the other heroes, excluding spear dood, are acting like dicks but don't outright attack him, instead opting for childish snide remarks. In their eyes, he is a dick that got a little too horny, not a serial rapist.

Ryllharu
Thu, 01-24-2019, 06:42 PM
He's supposed to be the odd one out. He doesn't even fit the profile of the other three. The book for Naofumi, and whatever else for the others, grabbed three gamers and Naofumi. He's more into LNs than games. The others are otaku too, but are more focused on playing MMOs solo.

The mix seems intentional. The problem is the place they are summoned into expects them that way. A useless shield hero where the others are great fighters. That's suspicious as hell.

Contrasts heavily with the demi-human legends that have them cherishing the shield hero when the human nation shuns the shield hero.

MFauli
Thu, 01-24-2019, 08:44 PM

So ... exactly like rape accusations in the real world then.

See Kavanaugh. See Neill Degrasse Tyson. No matter how little (read: noc evidence, stupid people will believe it, because they're stupid and/or have an agenda.

Kraco
Fri, 01-25-2019, 09:39 AM
He's supposed to be the odd one out. He doesn't even fit the profile of the other three. The book for Naofumi, and whatever else for the others, grabbed three gamers and Naofumi. He's more into LNs than games. The others are otaku too, but are more focused on playing MMOs solo.

The mix seems intentional. The problem is the place they are summoned into expects them that way. A useless shield hero where the others are great fighters. That's suspicious as hell.

Contrasts heavily with the demi-human legends that have them cherishing the shield hero when the human nation shuns the shield hero.

It's quite an interesting take on it that the summoning ritual itself would force the Shield Hero to be different, as opposed to the past Shield Heroes simply having been annoying for the human kingdom. Although that being said, the world is somehow connected to the games and the LN, which meant the other dudes knew being the Shield Hero is to draw the short stick, so there's a fundamental reason for the Shield Hero being troublesome in the deepest background of the setting. So, whether the Shield Heroes weren't worth it for the humans from the beginning or whether their ill luck simply drove them to do unwated things, is the open question. If humans look down on you, wouldn't cooperate with you, and even try to get rid of you, it's quite natural you might then seek the company of the oppressed demi-humans, who, in turn, might look up to you. This, in turn, would make the humans even more annoyed.

Naofumi is a victim of both the initial setting of the Shield Hero being a difficult role to ace and the reality the humans of the kingdom consider the Shield Hero a waste of time and resources, due to their history with this whole summoning affair and maybe the deeds of the past Shield Heroes, which we don't really know, but which might have made the Shield Hero so despised.

KrayZ33
Fri, 01-25-2019, 11:33 AM
Yeah, and Naofumi is a hero as well, so why would they believe he's a criminal? Those four are basically the outsiders.

Why wouldn't they???
It doesn't matter that they are heroes as well.

It matters that they believe, or are being told, that the inhabitants of that world honor the heroes.
If that's the case, they wouldn't accuse them of doing something that they didn't do.
For all they know, he's just some weird virgin who wants to abuse his new power to get women.

Naofumi shouted it's his armour, so unless they have gone deaf, they would know.

"yeah right...your armor, sure."

Kraco
Fri, 01-25-2019, 12:38 PM
Why wouldn't they???
It doesn't matter that they are heroes as well.

I don't know about you, but if I was one of four people from another world summoned to a new world, I'd feel some sense of belonging together with the other three in a distinct group (not something like being friend or anything, but just as being an outsiders vs all the original inhabitants). So, if the world suddenly turned against one of the four in a case that looks quite dubious, I couldn't avoid thinking: Who's next? It's an example of how they merely consider the heroes as tools. They treat the other three better, sure, but for how long? Should they become inconvenient, like the Shield Hero was from the very beginning merely by being the Shield Hero, the locals would quickly get rid of them as well. That's what I'd believe.

KrayZ33
Fri, 01-25-2019, 02:16 PM
I don't know about you, but if I was one of four people from another world summoned to a new world, I'd feel some sense of belonging together with the other three in a distinct group (not something like being friend or anything, but just as being an outsiders vs all the original inhabitants).

Eh... no way.

"We were treated like "gods".. obviously 1 of us was foul and the new power/status went to his head. Even the "police" says he did it and that dude forced himself on her just because she took pity on him and joined his group... disgusting, just because she is a nice person doesn't mean she wants to have sex with him.
He took advantage of their (and her) generosity - why would I want to side with him."

It's more than just plausible... especially since they think it is a game.

And they don't just "treat" them better, they literally hail them as superior beings and are cheering for them if they do as much as walk past them.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-25-2019, 04:55 PM
They also learned they each were singularly chosen from their particular world. All different versions of Japan, each with different developments socially and technologically.

Kinda throws camaraderie out the window when you learn that the one from one of the worlds, "tried to rape a woman." Was he lying about his version of Japan? Are they all scumbags on that world? Maybe Naofumi totally lied about himself?

They're all otaku though.

Look at the way Motoyasu (spear guy) treated Raphtalia the first time they met. Every girl is a virgin to him. His entire party is women.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-30-2019, 11:00 AM
Episode 04

--------------------------------

Alriiiiiiiiight, so:

Spear hero = dumb fuck.
Sword/Bow hero = clear in the head, but were lead to judge wrongly.
King/Princess = cunts, but we knew that.
Raphtalia = wife
Naofumi = with "curse" ability unlocked (hopefully), that would mean he'd be able to debuff anyone who attacks him.

It sucks that Shield Prison was taken down so early. Spear dude could literally do shit all in that enclosed space. It would have ended the duel without room for interference. (Technically I'd call that "pinning him down", not that the King would have acknowledged that).

MFauli
Wed, 01-30-2019, 11:09 AM
Tbh these people are unfair to a degree where it hurts the anime, because it's unrealistic that so many people would be so oblivious to the truth.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-30-2019, 11:14 AM
Not to defend this, but so many people IRL are also oblivious to many truths.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-30-2019, 11:16 AM
I'm actually quite baffled by flat earthers, and to an extent anti-vaxxers.

MFauli
Wed, 01-30-2019, 11:26 AM
I'm actually quite baffled by flat earthers, and to an extent anti-vaxxers.

But even.flat earthers would admit the earth is a sphere if they could fly around it like Superman. These assholes in Tate would still deny it. It's unfair to a dumb, unbelievable degree.

And spear hero us the dumbest of all. How pathetic can you be ...

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-30-2019, 11:46 AM
My opponent got thrown halfway across the stadium. Nothing sus. All me.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-30-2019, 11:56 AM
The thing is, some people actually deny things that are happening right before their eyes IRL. It is actually in fiction where people behave generally smarter than normal. It's just that the audience gets annoyed by stupid actions because they expect better from characters in stories or the creator.

KrayZ33
Wed, 01-30-2019, 01:18 PM
But even.flat earthers would admit the earth is a sphere if they could fly around it like Superman. These assholes in Tate would still deny it. It's unfair to a dumb, unbelievable degree.

And spear hero us the dumbest of all. How pathetic can you be ...

The thing is, some people actually deny things that are happening right before their eyes IRL. It is actually in fiction where people behave generally smarter than normal. It's just that the audience gets annoyed by stupid actions because they expect better from characters in stories or the creator.

It was extremely obvious to me that the nobles chose to be oblivious.
Like, so obvious, that it was hardly necessary for them to actually point it out, yet they (Bow and Sword) even did that... so I'm not quite sure what you guys are saying right now?

There was absolutely nothing "unbelievable" (at least not in this context) about what happened because this is basically just them bullying/harassing/mobbing him.

The only dudes who did not go for this crap were the Sword and Bow... obviously because they don't have to fear the king or anyone in general... and are less fanatic about the whole thing in the first place. The audience was basically "the king and his puppets/clique"... not some righteous noblemen that would stand up for the weak and ugly. Even if some of them would actually stand up for the Shield, they would do so in secret to not lose power/wealth/connections/whatever. Considering how that country views the shield hero however, it's doubtful that they'll even care.

It's far more likely that they would not consider this duel won by Naofumi, even if he would have won by normal standards.

So basically, it being "unfair" was exactly what has happened. That's what this "show" disguised as a "duel" was all about. The very basic setup, a spear vs shield, is unwinable for the shield from the start, he has no offensive power - the best he could hope for with no cheats would be a draw.

So.... the spear is @ 43... Naofumi is at 21(?) poor guy. Impressive defense stats when he can hold up against a 20+ lvl difference though!

Ryllharu
Wed, 01-30-2019, 07:00 PM
That's why they said Motoyasu lost. Naofumi is half his level and had him boxed in by one means or another almost the entire fight until Malty/Myne cheated. The first strike was all it took to know how it would go.

The whole thing was bullshit. I read it before in the manga, knew this was coming, and it still made me angry. He was forced into a duel where the only outcome if he won was, "Carry on." If they guards and King hadn't forced him into it, Naofumi should have walked out of the city and never returned.

Shadow Skill
Wed, 01-30-2019, 10:39 PM
So.... the spear is @ 43... Naofumi is at 21(?) poor guy. Impressive defense stats when he can hold up against a 20+ lvl difference though!

I still play this one MMORPG called Priston Tale. There is a class called Mechanician and it's basically a tank class.

Mind you, all classes can wear shields but not all can tank. The Mechanician class is a lot like Naofumi in that the defensive stats are off the charts and even the defensive skills make an already tank class even more of a tank. In PvP, their damage is not great but cause other classes can barely harm them aside from the lame pike class (Scythes and Spears), the Mechanician class just has to tank and take away the other player HP one attack at a time and eventually win.

I am kind of seeing Naofumi as a Mechanician class lol.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-30-2019, 11:26 PM
"Don't force a slave into fighting!"

"We shall force you into a duel!"

WOT.

David75
Thu, 01-31-2019, 12:40 AM
->Shield hero is viewed as a lower class than a slave's.
Great world...

I wonder if past shield hero siding with demi-humans is the reason he's shuned that way.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-31-2019, 02:24 AM
It was extremely obvious to me that the nobles chose to be oblivious.
Like, so obvious, that it was hardly necessary for them to actually point it out, yet they (Bow and Sword) even did that... so I'm not quite sure what you guys are saying right now?

Spear hero = dumb fuck.

That ^.

I don't expect anything from the peasants.

Kraco
Thu, 01-31-2019, 03:33 AM
Although Sword and Bow did allow Naofumi to be throw to the wolves once, they ought to still possess a lingering doubt about the wisdom of allowing one of only four heroes in the world to be treated like shit. It's still four vs the whole world if it comes down to it. In other words, if Naofumi being a hero means nothing, then what guarantee is there that the world wouldn't get tired of the bow or sword as well, should something happen beyond their power? Naofumi's case shows simply being a "hero" doesn't carry any sacred prestige.

On the other hand they saw Naofumi could kick the Spear Hero's ass, despite receiving zero support from the crown. That would make them wonder if it was smart to make an enemy out of Naofumi.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-31-2019, 03:45 AM
What is weird is the Hero's relative power levels. Right now it's as if they're a strong warrior, but not some OP literal hero. Naofumi had no choice by to obey the guards. On the other hand, my Skyrim character just massacred the Imperial city guards for being dicks towards me.

Like, on one hand good on the country for summoning the heroes so that they can level up before waves get nasty, but the first episode made it sound as if the country got absolutely nailed by the first wave.

Kraco
Thu, 01-31-2019, 06:53 AM
What is weird is the Hero's relative power levels. Right now it's as if they're a strong warrior, but not some OP literal hero. Naofumi had no choice by to obey the guards. On the other hand, my Skyrim character just massacred the Imperial city guards for being dicks towards me.

It would have done him no good to fight the guards, regardless of his ability. He's shunned as it is due to the false rape charge, so fighting the law enforcement openly would only make his situation worse. He might even be banned from entering the city, which would prevent him from selling his loot and buying gear from the understanding blacksmith.

His mistake was to stick around in the first place. He should have only collected the reward, surprising enough they even decided to give him any, and then immediately hit the road. Staying there was only asking for trouble, and trouble he got.

MFauli
Thu, 01-31-2019, 07:34 AM
I just hope he gets revenge at dome point and doesnt become another good guy-Kirito. I want the spear guy and princess to suffer and be humiliated in the worst possible way. Death by goblins or so. Would be infuriating if he just led it all slide what they did.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-31-2019, 08:07 AM
He stuck around so Raphtalia gets to eat whatever she wants.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-31-2019, 11:04 AM
I found it hilarious that Naofumi and Raphtalia basically acted out a family drama in front of a literal audience and the King LOL. A playwright watching will probably turn this into a play and make money off it.

neflight86
Thu, 01-31-2019, 12:40 PM
Any clue what happened or sidekick girl said to make Naofumi call her a traitor? The unfairness of the duel was an intentional annoyance, but his breakdown and rejection of her when she went almost straight to him was equally aggravating to watch.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-31-2019, 01:40 PM
He had this mental breakdown scene where Raphtalia left him. That was why he called her a traitor.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-31-2019, 01:48 PM
After reading some reddit threads from the previous episodes, it's clear that the anime left out some rather crucial elements in helping the audience understand his perspective during all this. I'd recommend reading those anime episode discussion threads for anyone interested. I doubt they'd play a difference now.

Ryllharu
Thu, 01-31-2019, 04:43 PM
It's kind of key that Naofumi always viewed Raphtalia as a child even after she leveled and physically matured, and that he could never taste food after being betrayed until now.

Naofumi has been mentally fucked up since he got accused by Malty, and even a little bit before that, when they ignored him while hailing the other three.

And now he is not.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-31-2019, 04:51 PM
That tasting food part made me cry...

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-01-2019, 12:13 AM
That tasting food part made me cry...

I must say, that's actually served him quite well. Money well saved by being able to tolerate the cheapest lunch of the day every day.

It's kind of key that Naofumi always viewed Raphtalia as a child even after she leveled and physically matured, and that he could never taste food after being betrayed until now.

All they needed were a few first-person-perspective shots right before things got messy to establish that fact. I didn't think the "subtle" hinting worked in the anime at all (namely, a single line about how the town's full of lolicons).

It sounds like the anime made Naofumi way too normal and caring after meeting Raphtalia.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-01-2019, 12:18 AM
It was supposed to be a surprise reveal. The audience were supposed to be confused about why Naofumi always treated her like a tiny kid despite her looks, and this episode exposed the twisted reason.

About the food, what do you usually eat Buff? And what counts for a nice meal for you?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-01-2019, 12:24 AM
It was supposed to be a surprise? Oh.. well... fine.

I live with family right now, so whatever they cook I'm happy with.

When I was by myself previously I usually rotated between the following meals:

1) curry + rice.
2) pasta
3) instant noodles

Vegetables would usually be frozen because it's easy.
Fruits were usually either apples or pears because they taste nice and tend to keep well.

Protein would be in powder form. When I see cheap meats I'd get that at times too. Tinned tuna is convenient, though I found kangaroo mince at around 8-10AUD/kg to be a relatively lean and cheap source of real meat protein and micronutrients. It's a bit smelly though.

For routine meals, I'm after:
1) convenience and low effort.
2) relatively satisfactory taste for said convenience.
3) nutritionally adequate when taken the full day's meals into account.
4) a core rotation (like above) to keep things interesting, but tight enough that it's easy to shop for and manage inventory-wise.

As for a nice meal, if I go out for a stirfry or order some pizza or something, that's not bad. I've only eaten a handful of really expensive stuff. It's good, but it's not sustainable with my income so I don't really look back at it.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-01-2019, 12:31 AM
I'm sorry.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-01-2019, 12:48 AM
I'm sorry.

Not yet you're not.

I was on a diet while going to university. I needed something portable, convenient and non-messy (ie not breaking cans of tuna every 4hrs) with adequate protein plus minimal carbs. And cheap, had to be cheap.

The answer? Unsweatenned, unsalted peanut butter. Consume 500g ($5AUD) every 2 days.

Did that for 18 months.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-01-2019, 12:51 AM
When I am more stable, I will go to Australia and cook for you. Wait for it.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-01-2019, 12:55 AM
Sounds wonderful.

Meanwhile, I'll be here.

Ordering the cheapest lunch set.

KrayZ33
Fri, 02-01-2019, 02:18 AM
I think the whole "falling into darkness" part would've been better if they showed the twisted laughing faces they had in the manga.

I'm not sure if I remember it wrong, but when Naofumi was complaining about how the world viewed him, he always imagined them laughing at him with a scheming smile. And the black "void" coming for him from the edges of the panel.

It's honestly the first time where I'd say that the manga did a much better job with that.

The "darkness" in the anime almost felt like a scene of tranquility. It wasn't as menacing as I hoped.
And while that is hardly exclusive to this anime, I always feel disappointed when I see the MC lying on the floor like frozen when he's about to break... literally *no* emotion at all... just lying there like a stone.

Just image that scene with him cursing and crying/hating on everything, slamming his fist on the ground and trying to hurt himself or something. Would've been much more impactful as it would've been much more difficult for Raphtalia to approach him.

MFauli
Fri, 02-01-2019, 03:49 AM
What are you DOING, Buff?!

Kangaroo mince ...?!

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-01-2019, 10:05 AM
That's the part you pick on? What about the tasteless peanut butter diet?? Stir fry and pizza being a nice meal??

Gamey meat prepared well is absolutely delicious. If you really don't want any gamey taste, just make sausages and mask it. I've had kangaroo sausages before and they taste good. I could definitely make better dishes myself using the meat though. Something like kangaroo tagine or kangaroo hui mei.

@krayz - I totally agree with you with Naofumi just lying there like that. That was weird. At the very least he should be shaking due to emotion.

David75
Fri, 02-01-2019, 10:19 AM

Naofumi has been mentally fucked up since he got accused by Malty, and even a little bit before that, when they ignored him while hailing the other three.

And now he is not.

It feels like there's some metaphor beetween how he shielded himself from everything that world had to offer, as a safety mechanism and how the shield works, probably even up to a psychological level. After all he unlocked another shield type thanks to his mental state. If his shield can be altered by his psychology, it's possible his shield can affect his psychology too.

David75
Wed, 02-06-2019, 11:36 AM
New ep out.

-------------

Goes quite fast, good thing.
Transitional ep, waiting for the meat of what's to come.
I need a good Filorial, it's just I'm not so sure about food costs compared to my cars expenses :p

MFauli
Wed, 02-06-2019, 11:38 AM
Episode 5
----
Noooo, gimme the fat bird back! :(
Who needs that generic flat loli ...

Seriously, this is one of those 'that's why modern anime suck' type decisions. The fat bird was hilarious and fun. But then they make it needlessly sexual. Meh :/

On the episode: fuck, I can hardly enjoy this as I'm permanently on the lookout about how these fucks plan to screw Naofumi over this time 🙈

Raphi going back to slave was.kindadun, too. If naofumi can't learn to trust her now, he'll never trust anyone ever again. And, I mean, ... a girl who chooses to be your slave? That's all sorts of icky.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 02-06-2019, 01:21 PM
It was her choice to get the Slave Crest back. She knows that he trusts her but it's more of a symbol that she will never betray him and also cannot.
I have to say the anime has better bits than then manga but manga also has better scenes. I liked the use of Air Strike Shield something that wasn't used in the manga. In the manga you could see Firo get fatigued and getting through it through anger like Naofumi.

The order of things is also a bit wrong but we'll see that next time I think.

David75
Wed, 02-06-2019, 02:31 PM
Well, that slave crest scene was also there to show Raphtalia's feelings for Naofumi... who is oblivious obviously.

Kraco
Wed, 02-06-2019, 03:16 PM
The way I see it, Raphtalia was worried of Naofumi cutting her loose at some point, now that she wasn't anymore bound to him. In the end, she knows he's a good guy, so there might have appeared any number of excuses for him to think it's not proper for him to keep dragging her around and exposing her to danger. I suppose she would have rather married him, but that not being realistic, getting back the slave status would be the next highest assurance he doesn't push her away.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-07-2019, 12:28 AM
The whole crest thing was to show us Raphi's boobs.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-07-2019, 10:03 AM
I'd actually disagree. If they wanted to be trashy, they could've pushed her clothes lower, but it was displaced just enough to put the crest on. Fanservice was obviously a factor but wasn't the main point.

MFauli
Thu, 02-07-2019, 06:54 PM
It was dumb anyway. Let me be a sjw for a moment: imagine watching that scene while being black. Yeah ... 🙈🐧

neflight86
Thu, 02-07-2019, 08:10 PM
The princess's schemes have, at this point, become Hanna-Barbera comical and I'm surprised anyone takes her seriously anymore.

Evil taxation, unreasonable challenge, followed by immediate and unsuccessful cheating... Her hand is played so poorly, it devalues her as an antagonist. I'd prefer if the show moves away from her for a while.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-07-2019, 11:39 PM
I'd prefer if goblins rape her.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-07-2019, 11:46 PM
Fanservice was obviously a factor but wasn't the main point.

I agree. What I said before was a joke.

To Raphi this is more like a unilateral marriage vow than a slave crest.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 02-13-2019, 01:08 PM
Episode 06

------------------

OMG the cute-as-fuck God Bird makes it here. That skull-breaking effect was a nice touch to that kick.

MFauli
Wed, 02-13-2019, 01:54 PM
Uneventful episode, but god, i love the fat bird

David75
Wed, 02-13-2019, 02:25 PM
Filo is fun, but a child.
I'm a grown-up Raphtalia fan.

KrayZ33
Wed, 02-13-2019, 03:11 PM
The birb is so much fun.

Raphtalia's stealth skills are awesome too!

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 02-13-2019, 04:48 PM
So the idiot hero delivers a crop to end famine. Naofumi finds an empty chest with a warning to never spread the seed within that would end hunger.

That goddamn idiot....

But besides that, I wonder if he absorbed the Chimera and some of the ore in there. Seeing as how everything can be used as materials for the shield. High Quality Magic Ore would give him a nice shield wouldn't it?

neflight86
Wed, 02-13-2019, 04:57 PM
At this point, the shield has so many supplemental uses (voice changing shield?) that his business opportunities are bound to expand, if not his reputation.

I, too, enjoyed me some poultry pugilism. I just realized the entire episode was introducing and solving the problem of not having to re-buy clothes for the loli chicken each time it transforms. Clever.

Kraco
Wed, 02-13-2019, 05:49 PM
I don't remember the number anymore, but wasn't the next wave supposed to come quite soon? Like a few weeks? It feels like all the stuff in this episode would have covered months.

That skull-breaking effect was a nice touch to that kick.

Yeah, I also thought that x-ray effect was quite funny. Traditional especially in manga, but funny.

KrayZ33
Thu, 02-14-2019, 05:25 AM
What would have covered months in your opinion? Did they really do that much?
I don't think the stuff that happened in this episode would've taken more than a week or two, depending on how much he travelered around to help sick people.

As for the waves, I believe it was 1 month for each wave?

Kraco
Thu, 02-14-2019, 10:46 AM
Travelled a lot, traded a lot, Naofumi learned a whole new skill, they established contacts, actually gained a reputation spreading far and wide. The other heroes also managed to do this and that and the news/rumours had time to spread.

KrayZ33
Thu, 02-14-2019, 11:06 AM
Well, it's not like Naofumi is traveling through the whole country.

They could in theory be 5 small towns apart, which by foot would require a day of travel. I wouldn't call that "far and wide". So information and rumours spreading depends on the frequency of merchants passing by. The merchant said something along the lines of "you have a reputation in this area" after all and they keep traveling back into the capital.

As for the skills, it didn't seem like he had to invest a lot of time to learn a skill, might have learned all about it on the same day - they live in a game world with game mechanics after all.

He's certainly not taking any days off, but it doesn't require several months to just travel around and trade when you have the fat birb around.
He barely leveled up too

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 02-14-2019, 11:28 PM
I like the little detail that Raphtalia actually covered her raccoon ears.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-15-2019, 02:17 AM
But somehow Naofumi was ok with just covering one ear, even though the enemy burst their eardrums. And Naofumi's unblocked ear was the closest to the source of the sound...

And also how Big Bird blew away the bats even though she was behind her allies, yet her allies didn't even budge an inch.

LOL.

KrayZ33
Fri, 02-15-2019, 04:21 AM
But somehow Naofumi was ok with just covering one ear, even though the enemy burst their eardrums. And Naofumi's unblocked ear was the closest to the source of the sound...

but that's how a megaphones work
and the idea was that the enemy was very sensitive to sound while the rest are not.

being closest to the source is relatively unimportant, or otherwise the one screaming/speaking into it would be in trouble.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-15-2019, 09:52 AM
So why did he cover his other ear? LOL.

KrayZ33
Fri, 02-15-2019, 10:22 AM
Dunno, because he doesn't know, maybe?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-15-2019, 10:26 AM
Then he willingly let his unblocked ear get busted, and then was pleasantly surprised it didn't? He didn't seem surprised about that outcome to me. He could've just pressed his open ear to his shoulder, granted that wouldn't look as "cool."

TBH, it's probably just a director lapse.

KrayZ33
Fri, 02-15-2019, 10:28 AM
It probably is, but it's still not suprising that his ear didn't blew.

btw. I just noticed that he has so many shields unlocked, even a "meat shield" - wth.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-15-2019, 11:00 AM
It's a very convenient plot device. He can always have something for any situation just because he obtained a shield for it in the past. Just like that bat thing, he got it thinking it'd be useless, then it saves their asses one minute later lol.

I just want that curse shield thing.

I wonder what kind of plague Speardood has unleashed upon the people of the Queendom with that forbidden crop.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-15-2019, 01:40 PM
Rapeseed.

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 02-15-2019, 02:37 PM
Now we're talking.

MFauli
Sat, 02-16-2019, 04:55 AM
Bueno.jpg

KrayZ33
Wed, 02-20-2019, 02:19 PM
Ep 7

from a progression point of view, I'm somewhat disappointed this week, I thought they'd tackle the dragon and the seed in one episode.

from a development point of view however, I'm satisfied. Birb is still awesome.

I hope they'll do *next episode title* in one episode and will not leave us with a cliffhanger.

Kraco
Wed, 02-20-2019, 03:03 PM
Spear hero is as classy as ever: He causes major trouble and then just disappears, leaving it for someone else to sort it all out.

Shadow Skill
Thu, 02-21-2019, 12:32 AM
Unless they up the episode count from 25 episodes. I cannot see them accurately animating the Light Novels at this pacing. Unless they leave a lot of events out, especially if they take a 5 min fight in the LN and turn it in to a full episode.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-21-2019, 10:09 AM
Or they will just stop at a convenient point, watch sales, then make more cours if profitable?

Kraco
Wed, 02-27-2019, 04:44 PM
Episode 8

- - - - - -

Feels like it has been a while since I saw 1337 5p34k in any wider use.

KrayZ33
Wed, 02-27-2019, 05:17 PM
pretty weak honestly.

Half assed feelings imho.
Seeking power to beat the enemy in front of you is not the same as hating the world for everything it throws at you.

His sorrow after losing Filo was super fake too.

Overall poorly shown/written imho.

Kraco
Wed, 02-27-2019, 05:39 PM
Eh, I thought it was quite decent, especially the special effects.

David75
Thu, 02-28-2019, 12:25 AM
The pace is probably responsible for a lack of depth...
Decent episode, even when you are spoiled with the manga.

Shadow Skill
Thu, 02-28-2019, 01:15 AM
This fight went different than I imagined as I was reading the Light Novel. Still good though. Nothing eye popping but good IMO.

KrayZ33
Wed, 03-06-2019, 11:49 AM
Ep9

very good episode imho. The people and even the guards are on different terms with the heroes, it's really interesting right now.

I just love Filo.. for a lack of better words I will call her "dense" and she's the best "dense" loli I've seen in anime so far.
Her bird form is the best thing ever.

neflight86
Wed, 03-06-2019, 07:33 PM
At least the crown recognizes the "problematic" character of Malty, so much so that she was passed over in succession. I wonder if we'll ever get a layman's take on the actual (earned) reputations of the legendary heroes; word gets around, and people must recognize spear hero as an idiot by now...

I liked the church scene at least recognizing that there exists some higher morality in this world.

I'm saddened that Shield hero is acting prejudiced against the sibling of the woman who hurt him (unprovoked) by treating her poorly without provocation himself. I hope that was just a silly lapse that was emphasized for cliffhanger effect and is resolved quickly next episode.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-07-2019, 09:58 AM
I just love Filo.. for a lack of better words I will call her "dense" and she's the best "dense" loli I've seen in anime so far.
Her bird form is the best thing ever.

I think the word you're looking for is simple.

Rather than being unintelligent or unperceptive, she just doesn't think a whole lot and preoccupies herself with the little things in life. She also lets her inner instincts take over, like wanting to draw carriages, become hungry or hate dragons.

KrayZ33
Thu, 03-07-2019, 11:18 AM
like wanting to draw carriages

That's the cutest thing of it all.

Kraco
Thu, 03-07-2019, 02:43 PM
I'm saddened that Shield hero is acting prejudiced against the sibling of the woman who hurt him (unprovoked) by treating her poorly without provocation himself. I hope that was just a silly lapse that was emphasized for cliffhanger effect and is resolved quickly next episode.

That's just fine. The royal court has given him nothing but grief and trouble, on multiple occasions and right from the beginning. It's not just the princess, it's also the king and the rest of the folks there as well. In fact they made the whole capital city view him dimly. Let's not forget the first princess as well treated him better initially, all to trick and entrap him later, naturally. So, what possible reason could he have to listen to this second princess? Even if she wasn't trying to make him fall into another trap, just associating with her means being in closer contact with the rest of the bastards. It ended up being one of his biggest mistakes to return to the castle after the previous wave, to get his minor portion of the reward money. Definitely not worth it. It even made the fricking pope crack jokes about it.

MFauli
Thu, 03-07-2019, 03:51 PM
Tbh I kinda don't like the lack of reacw from Naofumi when he keeps meeting bitch princess. These encounters feel more like Ash meeting Team Rocket. I'd like to see Naofumi express his hatred and detesting towards her.

It's extra odd when he DOES show that later on ... towards the 'good' princess.

The only thing I wish from this anime is most gruesome end for bitch princess.

Also Filo is the best fat bird ever.

Kraco
Fri, 03-08-2019, 05:16 AM
Also Filo is the best fat bird ever.

You are a brave man to call her fat. You must have good protection down there.

MFauli
Fri, 03-08-2019, 07:55 AM
You are a brave man to call her fat. You must have good protection down there.

Fellow fatties get to call each others fat 🙈

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Filo isn't fat. As shown in this episode, that volume is all soft, fluffy feathers.

David75
Fri, 03-08-2019, 09:54 AM
I loved how Filo's glutony had Raphtalia and Naofumi fear she gobbled Melty :D
It was not entirely false though, that Melty was inside Filo :cool:

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-08-2019, 09:57 AM
They totally missed the perfect joke there though. When they asked where Melty was, Filo should've pointed at her body and said "In here! <3" Naofumi orzing would've capped it off perfectly.

David75
Fri, 03-08-2019, 11:19 AM
Yup, they missed a great opportunity :D

Kraco
Fri, 03-08-2019, 01:29 PM
They totally missed the perfect joke there though. When they asked where Melty was, Filo should've pointed at her body and said "In here! <3" Naofumi orzing would've capped it off perfectly.

Haha, indeed. That would have been great.

Kraco
Wed, 03-13-2019, 05:59 PM
Ep 10

- - - -

It's quite plausible that if some random modern people got isekaied and suddenly granted great powers, they would easily cause problems even without meaning to. Especially because they wouldn't really understand how the society works. Not to mention in the distant past, common people generally speaking lived far more miserable lives than the common people of our times in the developed countries. There's simply nothing one could do to change that with the resources available. Of course magic, potentially, could compensate somewhat, but typically not so hugely, plus where there's magic, there are also all kinds of monsters. Evildoers would also be able to wield the magic. All in all it's just like has always been said: Don't try to save people if you have no idea what's going to happen afterwards. That's something exceedingly few games would pay any attention to.

Naofumi had a stylish way of handling those soldiers wanting to join his gang. It really tested whether they were only acting on a whim or were ready to stomach unknown, annoying things. I still think there was nothing wrong about the way he treated Melty's case. The princess can prove herself first if she wants to be heard and taken seriously. In the meantime Naofumi is still under an intense oppression by Melty's family, like the church scene once again showed. If Melty couldn't even fix that before trying to discuss things with Naofumi, what on Earth could she even have to say?

MFauli
Thu, 03-14-2019, 04:39 AM
Most important issue: So is Naofumi another gay hero or why won't he accept Raphtalia's advances?

Kraco
Thu, 03-14-2019, 07:31 AM
Most important issue: So is Naofumi another gay hero or why won't he accept Raphtalia's advances?

She looked like 10 years old just a couple of months earlier. It might be hard for him to readjust his image of her as a little kid. On the other hand, if he dreams of returning back to his original world as soon as possible, maybe he'd prefer to not have romantic relationships holding him back in this sucky new world.

David75
Thu, 03-14-2019, 08:00 AM
It doesn't seem like he was interested or had a relationship before he was transferred to this world.
His hatred is stronger for the moment, it's not like his mind is available for love or relations relying strongly on trust.
It's entirely possible he sees himself as a father figure for Raphtalia and Filo, for age reasons and also because he's like a family support at the moment.

MFauli
Thu, 03-14-2019, 10:39 AM
Guess I'm the only Woody Allen-supporter here then

*shoganai*

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Firo's cockblocking right now anyway.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 03-14-2019, 02:26 PM
Hilarious how she is literally a cock (ok not literally because she is female) doing the blocking.

neflight86
Fri, 03-15-2019, 04:43 AM
I still feel he could have handled Melty better. I get it, he don't trust that family and they have done him harm. They also have helped him (masked squad, though he could be forgiven for not deducing that). She introduced herself honestly once they had reached their destination, and acted surprised when she heard he was the shield hero. That itself should suggest their time on the road was indicative of her true character. Naofumi has the edgy anti-hero persona on full-cowling now to protect himself; I get it. I just don't believe in burning bridges that I've only half crossed. Cards are on the table, she doesn't praise her sister's behavior; why not hear her out? You're not above asking a slave trader for advice when a royal decree prevents you from using 'public utilities'... but won't ask Melty to have that reversed (or work on it) as an act of good faith when the wave is incoming? Two birds, one stone. Oh well, I like my characters flawed anyway.

I really didn't expect, between the two of them, that the Bow hero would be the only "I did nothing wrong" holdout when confronted about his Robin-Hoodery. The Sword hero (the one that struck me as the most self-righteous self-insert parody of them all) seemed pretty shaken and concerned about the trouble he supposedly caused, which makes me re-evaluate both of their characters, actually.

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 03-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Well her dear sister also came to him acting all nice only to stab him in the back. The King has been nothing but against him from the start. He just thinks it's some kind of ploy to get him to drop his guard only to betray him once more.

But yeah it seems that the Sword Hero is the only one who can actually think about the potential consequences when confronted bout it. Let's not talk about the idiot that is the Spear Hero.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-15-2019, 10:09 AM
Well her dear sister also came to him acting all nice only to stab him in the back. The King has been nothing but against him from the start. He just thinks it's some kind of ploy to get him to drop his guard only to betray him once more.

This. Sure family members can be totally different people, but more often than not, especially if they belong to archaic royal and noble lineages, they are of the same stock, even if from different alliances.

David75
Fri, 03-15-2019, 11:25 AM

But yeah it seems that the Sword Hero is the only one who can actually think about the potential consequences when confronted bout it. Let's not talk about the idiot that is the Spear Hero.
I think the sword hero (Ren ?) was the first to defend Naofumi against the King...
Seems he has some kind of brain and sense of justice, eventhough he didn't use them when Naofumi was fooled the very first time.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-15-2019, 12:09 PM
I guess he didn't have any info to judge Naofumi as innocent back then. Now Naofumi is showing his true character through his deeds.

neflight86
Fri, 03-15-2019, 05:13 PM
Reflecting on it some more, I was assuming that his first trauma was entirely enabled by his optimistic trusting of princess combo-ed into a backstab. My thinking was that, if he has been convicted of the 'worst offense in the realm' and wasn't executed or imprisoned because he was a hero, that kind of implied carte blanche, no? That trick (episode 1) could only be done once now that the cat's out of the bag, right?

In reality, his trust only resulted in him getting swindled out of his money. The rape accusation itself was levied irrespective of their circumstance, given how within her power having fictitious evidence planted was; so I don't think their relationship factored into the accusation itself insomuch as the mysterious general distain for the concept of the shield hero. What I'm saying is: yeah, just being around a royal could be a misplay given just how unsubstantiated accusations can hold water in this world with just a little twisting.

It makes more sense to me now for Naofumi to want to stay away from loli princess, but I still see it as a poor decision to coldly push away a potential ally. As Kratos once said to the boy about some annoying dwarves... "You gain nothing my making an enemy of them".

Kraco
Fri, 03-15-2019, 07:10 PM
I don't feel like you are paying enough attention to the psychological factors. Whereas the other heroes got huge support from the kingdom, Naofumi was kicked out disgraced and penniless. He had to survive in the hostile world relying only on himself, yet he wasn't even able to attack the monsters he had to defeat to make any advance based on his scarce knowledge and guesses. Somehow he struggled on, relying on nothing but his own deeds (saving and "using" Raphtalia can also be counted as his own achievement). After the wave he decided to risk trusting the kingdom just a little bit to receive his reward, but instead he was again kicked in the nuts by the royal family and cohorts. In all this his bitterness and hatred were the powers that allowed him to survive and still do. He hasn't got any goodwill left to spare to the royal family. He balances the negativity in his personality by helping the common people out there, as long as he doesn't need to feel used. After all, those common people are also suffering.

In these times of enforced political correctness the power of hate is often ignored, but it can be a powerful driving force. He can't simply suddenly abandon something that allowed him to stay alive. Melty can prove herself first. She hasn't done anything so far.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-15-2019, 07:23 PM
Remember, from our POV, we know Melty is on the side of the queen, who seems to be a decent person at least. Naofumi has no idea about that, and with his history with the royal family members, it was the logical decision to remove the glaring and huge risk named Melty.

Also, he didn't do anything bad to Melty. He just told her he doesn't want to listen to whatever she might say and to go away. He didn't insult her or attack her. He just didn't want to deal with more conniving royals. I think the fact that Melty is a cute loli is making the scene seem worse than it actually is. If some burly old man or humorous anime gay oniisan was in her shoes, people would be like, "who cares."

KrayZ33
Sat, 03-16-2019, 06:39 AM
The biggest thing here is that Melty told him "her father will give him a reward"
He already knows that there is nothing to gain from that. If the kings doesn't have anything to do with her, she wouldn't have said it.

So in his eyes, they are obviously on good terms and that also means she is part of the problem.

So why wouldn't he drop her.

Kraco
Wed, 03-20-2019, 04:38 PM

- - - - - -

The iron maiden scene was pretty badass.

It's like they are living in a game where certain major events arrive at set intervals, but what happens between them is all up to the players (the isekai transfer folks) and the denizens of the world. And they are screwing up those periods where they should obviously be getting a lot stronger with maximum efficiency, but instead they are doing stuff incorrectly. The situation was made worse by the first wave having noob difficulty, so they could clear it no problem, giving them false confidence. Well, everyone but Naofumi who is facing unreasonable struggles with little outside support, so he possessed no illusions of grandeur.

Using an arbitrary example, it's like for the first wave they should have risen to lvl 10 and gained basic equipment, which was easy by grinding slimes, giant rats, and goblins, but for the second wave they were expected to get to lvl 20 and have advanced equipment. Yet they only got to lvl 15 due to not changing things sufficiently and only upgraded the equipment partially. If by the third wave they should be lvl 30 with expert equipment, it would be all the more difficult due to lagging behind already as it is.

The heroes also possess zilch cooperation, as expected, so they are all more or less fighting individual battles unnecessarily.

Ryllharu
Wed, 03-20-2019, 05:47 PM
The other three heroes are like mid to high level 60s though, based on the status screens they were showing.

They're not weak, they just suck. Endless grinding so they have a high level, but they have no idea how to actually use the abilities and system they're in.

Naofumi isn't the only one with other weapons besides his base one. Motoyasu used a different spear in their 1-on-1plusSkank duel.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-22-2019, 10:13 AM
I loved the added bit where Filo interrogates Motoyaso in her loli-form, and the dude can't retaliate cuz his dick says so.

KrayZ33
Wed, 03-27-2019, 12:09 PM
Awww shit man, right at the best moment.

Can't wait for next week's.

neflight86
Wed, 03-27-2019, 04:05 PM
For a bit now, I'm getting a little dismayed at how much things are 'turning around' for the shield hero. He's racking up too much value and is looking too good for the audience. The other three heroes are useless against boss lady even though they're twice the level? He finally gets to disrespect the king without consequence? His reputation is turned around everywhere except the court? Too much, too fast from a story telling perspective. It downplays the premise of the story (struggle against adversity when the world seems against you) and makes other characters seem like a means to an end (someone has to still give Naofumi garbage for no reason because he has no real character flaws).

My favorite part was actually the King's sheepish reaction to loli princess. He didn't seem like he feared her (though he certainly should), but rather doted on her; both of his daughters actually, and hinted at having a legitimate beef with the station of the shield hero that we'll hopefully explore further.

I predict that oldest princess set up the betrayal because she is both vain (why pass the throne over me?) and short sighted (father will surely cover this up).

Kraco
Wed, 03-27-2019, 05:00 PM
For a bit now, I'm getting a little dismayed at how much things are 'turning around' for the shield hero. He's racking up too much value and is looking too good for the audience. The other three heroes are useless against boss lady even though they're twice the level? He finally gets to disrespect the king without consequence? His reputation is turned around everywhere except the court? Too much, too fast from a story telling perspective. It downplays the premise of the story (struggle against adversity when the world seems against you) and makes other characters seem like a means to an end (someone has to still give Naofumi garbage for no reason because he has no real character flaws).

Naofumi's concrete value hasn't mattered from the beginning. The king & the court are against his position as the Shield Hero for historical reasons, which have nothing to do with his person or prowess. Kind of like a racist manager could avoid giving an athlete of a different race a good position/matches, even if that athlete was the best. However, now that they are faring badly, the king would still want to use him, or rather his knowledge.

Naofumi's real enemy, as far as we know, are the waves, not the king. His progress ought to be measured against that. The other heroes turned out to be paper tigers, but that's hardly surprising. In the end the heroes are obviously meant to work as a team, but sometimes it can't be helped. With those retards, it most certainly can't.

Munsu
Wed, 03-27-2019, 07:23 PM
All caught up, a fine series. I want to see more of episode 2 Naofumi though. He was an angry badass.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 03-28-2019, 12:07 AM
He is the strongest person in the kingdom, maybe the world outside of fan lady. He should've just killed the king and the bitch. Sure people wouldn't like him for that, but what's new? Just force resources out of them like you've been doing and level up as fast as possible.

Shadow Skill
Thu, 03-28-2019, 08:32 PM
I love how human Naofumi is towards everyone.

This fight went a little bit different from how I imagined. Still good IMO.

One of the best episodes of this series.

Kraco
Wed, 04-03-2019, 03:27 PM

- - - -

What can men do against such reckless hate, Naofumi must be thinking.

Good thing Malty is such a fool and couldn't keep up her acting, instead trying to kill Melty in front of all of those people.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-03-2019, 04:40 PM
How did they photoshop without photoshop?

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-03-2019, 04:41 PM
How did they photoshop without photoshop?

The addition of that "recording" scene was good compared to the manga. It explains why they had to set it up in the first place.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-03-2019, 09:31 PM
Drop worthy episode. I have so many complaints I'm not even gonna start. Just trying to forget all this and move on to the next episode.

Munsu
Wed, 04-03-2019, 11:32 PM
Didn't care much for this episode honestly. Although absurd, I kinda like the magic editing of the event and how it was manipulated, but the whole resolution to the event missed a good opportunity, and the villain (for someone who has shown at times to be highly manipulative and at times having cleverness to her schemes) was just downright dumb in this episode.

KrayZ33
Thu, 04-04-2019, 09:44 AM
Dunno, I pretty much got what I expected out of this one.

I can't complain. It was pretty good although the episode felt a bit short as it didn't really advance the whole situation that much.

What I found funny though is that the church's brooch actually has this round thingy in the background, holding bow/sword/lance together, which looks like a god damn shield.

Whoever designed that is either a spy that worked for the shield hero or just seriously dumb considering its point is to leave the shield out of that symbol

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-04-2019, 10:56 AM
I have a crap ton of gripes, but the one that stands out the most is Naofumi letting those guards escape with a recording device. Even if he didn't spot one, he should capture all of them to interrogate them. There is literally no reason to let them go because Filo can easily chase and incapacitate them. All this brouhaha could've been avoided.

If the goal of the author was to have this brouhaha, he could've written it better and have the person recording the whole thing be hidden. Not like Naofumi couldn't block the soldier's attack on Melty, which came from so far away, without seeing that orb.

KrayZ33
Thu, 04-04-2019, 11:53 AM
I wasn't under the impression that the original orb was required to have the recording altered.
I assumed it was basically streaming the whole thing and the circle of mages used magic to alter and "port" the recording onto different orbs.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-04-2019, 12:03 PM
Possible, but that doesn't change the fact that he didn't do the only logical action at that point. Those soldiers and the orb itself are perpetrators, potential witnesses, and evidence.

KrayZ33
Thu, 04-04-2019, 12:31 PM
But I don't understand how capturing them would do him any good then.
Wouldn't that just make him look even more evil?

And he'd have extra baggage too.

I'd honestly not have done that either.
I mean - what do I care about what they think about me, I'm about to leave that shithole of a country anyway
And it seems like a real hassle to have them around me and take them hostage when they are running away on their own, which is exactly what I want them to do anyway. I wouldn't even consider it logical to capture them *all*, because that thought didn't even occur to me when it happened in the show.

If it were me, I'd hurt them real bad of course, because I'm more of an evil man than Naofumi is (basically playing right into their hands). After questioning them - "wut yuo doin?" - however , I would've left them to rot though, which seems to be what Naofumi did to that one dude too.

David75
Thu, 04-04-2019, 12:41 PM
Capture, interrogate, intimidate, release.

Destroy the orb, or at least erase footage.
Naofumi knows about the orb already, it was in plain view, he should have done something about it.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-04-2019, 01:01 PM
@Krayz -

What David said. Or tie them up in a pasture somewhere near a village to delay their escape. (Or kill them and incinerate the bodies... is what I would've done, not that Naofumi would)

Naofumi didn't know about the specific functions of the orb, except that it records video (maybe he didn't even know that, but why risk it? Who knows what they are plotting to do with it...). The transmission capacity is pure conjecture on your part. No one knows how the orb functions exactly.

Why would Naofumi take the risk and let those soldiers and the orb go? Why would he let these villains report back to their superiors about how the operation went? Why wouldn't he want to capture all of them to interrogate for more information (just because one didn't talk doesn't mean the others won't)?

Remember, Filo even offered to chase them. It's not that Naofumi didn't think of the idea. He actively rejected it. Why?

The benefits clearly outweigh the negatives (if there is even any), which means it is the logical thing to do.

Also, just because it didn't occur to you doesn't mean it's not logical.

KrayZ33
Thu, 04-04-2019, 01:22 PM
Naofumi knows about the orb already, it was in plain view, he should have done something about it.

The episode clearly showed that Naofumi didn't even consider the possibility that they can alter the footage or that the orb was even part of the scheme.
And why would he - if someone has the camera rolling, and I'm protecting the princess, I wouldn't think about how they will use that footage to make me look like the dude who harms the princess.
Not to mention that this is certainly not your No#1 thought you have when you see them attacking the princess they are supposed to protect. Seriously, who even knows if he realised the orb and could connect the dots - the first thing I thought when I saw it was that they used the orb to recieve orders and they held it to show their boss that they are doing what they have been told.

Also, just because it didn't occur to you doesn't mean it's not logical.

Ya, but it shows that it's not (quote) "the only logical thing" because it certainly isn't.
The/a logical move is to have them run away, since he doesn't want to deal with them (in any way whatsoever, they are a pain for him to have around) and he already captured one dude for questioning so...

The benefits clearly outweigh the negatives (if there is even any), which means it is the logical thing to do.

What benefits, the benefits you mentioned are merely fictional. the benefits (if there are any) may or may not outweigh the negatives (if there are any).

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-04-2019, 01:31 PM
Nope, because capturing all of them would have given him a lot more options.

Just in case you didn't realize, he could always just let them go if he decides he didn't need them.

You didn't address the fact that capturing them prevents them from reporting to their superiors, delaying or possibly even canceling whatever scheme they were plotting.

You didn't address the possibility that having more captives to interrogate could yield more information.

You didn't address the fact that even if Naofumi knew for a fact that they couldn't (we know they can, but this is a hypothetical for emphasis) edit the video, there is nothing to lose from obtaining the orb. It might lead to a clue to what the enemy might be planning or stop it completely (the latter being a very realistic possibility in this case, because the transmission idea is not established).

These are all advantages that capturing the enemy would yield.

How is not getting all these advantages versus getting all of them at no cost (just nodding his head to Filo) a logical thing? The ONLY logical thing is to choose the most advantageous option. That's how logic works. You don't intentionally choose a worse option and say, "hey, I got something out of it too, which I would've also gotten if I chose the best option. This is logical!"

Not wanting to deal with them is laziness, not logic. Not saying you can't or shouldn't be lazy, but it isn't logical in this specific case, where you are a widely hated person always attacked by one scheme after another. Information is your best friend in that situation.

KrayZ33
Thu, 04-04-2019, 01:44 PM
Nope, because capturing all of them would have given him a lot more options.

Just in case you didn't realize, he could always just let them go if he decides he didn't need them.

You didn't address the fact that capturing them prevents them from reporting to their superiors, delaying or possibly even canceling whatever scheme they were plotting.

Not a fact, just an assumption. If they don't need to physically bring the orb to the mages, which is *extremly* likely btw. because otherwise he'd be days of traveltime ahead, he wouldn't have delayed anything.
And it's not like I didn't adress the *possibility*, it's just that I find it rather reasonable to not do it, just as much as I'd understand it if he did.

You didn't address the possibility that having more captives to interrogate could yield more information.

Ya, but also possibly less because in a group you tend to be less inclined to tell him what's really going on.
Wouldn't have helped either in this case though.
Other than that, it's not like it's "free" and "super easy" to capture them - if that's the case, what exactly is stopping him from going through the barricade and through the border.
The guards weren't even defeated, they "gave up" willingly for the scheme.

You didn't address the fact that even if Naofumi knew for a fact that they couldn't (we know they can, but this is a hypothetical for emphasis) edit the video, there is nothing to lose from obtaining the orb. It might lead to a clue to what the enemy might be planning or stop it completely (the latter being a very realistic possibility in this case, because the transmission idea is not established).

We know they can *now* - as I mentioned, the orb is probably just noise in this situation. It's not really like dots connect to it in the middle of a fight. You have people trying to kill the princess in front of you, your first reaction would be "what the hell is going on - thank god it's over - let us question the dude who couldn't run away"

Not wanting to deal with them is laziness, not logic. Not saying you can't or shouldn't be lazy, but it isn't logical.

What...? How exactly are they connected in that way. If I don't want to deal with something, I'm not going to deal with it - that's just the most logical thing anyone would ever think of doing. Denying that is without doubt ridiculous.
People will either bother to pick up the 5c from the ground or will not pick it up, either decision is logical.
It's as if you are saying "doing the correct thing in every situation is the only logical move" - no shit, that statement has absolutely no value though.

When you watch shows/movies/plays and judge characters, you have to judge them from their point of view and their beliefs - not from your own.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-04-2019, 01:50 PM
Not a fact, just an assumption. If they don't need to physically bring the orb to the mages, which is *extremly* likely btw because otherwise he'd be days of traveltime ahead. He wouldn't have delayed anything.

Sure, I'll give you that possibility. But why wouldn't you try anyway? What do you have to lose? In this specific case, if your assumption isn't true, the entire frame up would've gone up in smoke.

Ya, but also possibly less because in a group you tend to be less inclined to tell him what's really going on.
Wouldn't have helped either in this case though.

Ever heard about separating people during interrogation?

Other than that, it's not like it's "free" and "super easy" to capture them - if that's the case, what exactly is stopping him from going through the barricade and through the border.

It is free and easy. Like I said, Filo offered to do it. He actively rejected the idea. All this is just conjecture on your part, which isn't even supported by evidence from what we've seen of Filo's speed and combat prowess. It's just a bunch of mooks...

We know they can *now* - as I mentioned, the orb is just noise in this situation. It's not really like dots connect to it. You have people trying to kill the princess in front of you, your first reaction would be "what the hell is going on - thank god it's over - let us question the dude who didn't run away"

Actually, Naofumi realized there was a scheme upon seeing the orb, and was supposedly able to react and save Melty because of that. That isn't noise. That's a critical piece of observation that you wouldn't randomly forget.

What...? How exactly are they connected in that way. If I don't want to deal with something, I'm not gooing to deal with it - that's just the most logic thing anyone would ever think of doing. Denying that is without doubt ridiculous.

I edited that last part to make more sense. The point is, it isn't logical to be lazy because you don't wanna be bothered when the chances of shit blowing up in your face later (and you already know this by now, like Naofumi should) by being lazy is extremely high.

KrayZ33
Thu, 04-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Actually, Naofumi realized there was a scheme upon seeing the orb, and was supposedly able to react and save Melty because of that. That isn't noise. That's a critical piece of observation that you wouldn't randomly forget.

I don't think the orb had anything to do with it.
At the very least, it was never pinpointed to the orb - he describes the whole situation as weird and it "felt" like a setup and he didn't even know what's going on and why he feels like that

It is free and easy. Like I said, Filo offered to do it. He actively rejected the idea. All this is just conjecture on your part, which isn't even supported by evidence from what we've seen of Filo's speed and combat prowess. It's just a bunch of mooks...

Why do they run away then. The rest of the episode had far more critical failures than the part of him not getting *additional* captives, which is basically in line with his mood/character (or change of character after episode 1+2) and opinion about investing time and effort into something that has to do with royality or their schemes. By all means, call it a mistake, I don't think it's the most blatant one though because not beating up people that run away from you could actually be seen as a character trait.

Sure, I'll give you that possibility. But why wouldn't you try anyway? What do you have to lose? In this specific case, if your assumption isn't true, the entire frame up would've gone up in smoke.

Hmmmm not really, the orb made the whole thing more believable - considering what's going on, all the guards ever had to say is that Naofumi took Melty from them by attacking and beating them up - the brainwashing bs they came up with later would've remained the same.
It would've been the same as the whole "we found her underwear in his room" scene from episode 1.

Naofumi has to leave the country, trying to clear his name is basically pointless as long as the King and Mia--eh...hot redhead remain in charge - and as long as the Spear is acting like a dud.

I'd rather complain together with you about the "chain" that came out of nowhere and made Filo transform into her angel-form (which is not her normal form), about the logic behind killing Malty/Melty (wtf?!??!?! Killing the girl you want to rescue from the guy who supposedly wants to hurt her) and all the other weird stuff that happened.

(I still liked the episode itself overall though, mostly because I'm used to such nonsense and I'm content with the direction this show is going)

edit: Seriously though, after the readhead dropped that line about killing her, the whole scheme was basically done and failed.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-04-2019, 06:00 PM
I don't understand how you seem to think my only complaint about the episode is that, when I said in my initial post:

Drop worthy episode. I have so many complaints I'm not even gonna start. Just trying to forget all this and move on to the next episode.
I just mentioned this one because grabbing that orb, which could totally just be a videocam and not a live camera, could've prevented all the nonsense that happened after.

If I don't want to deal with something, I'm not going to deal with it - that's just the most logical thing anyone would ever think of doing.

People will either bother to pick up the 5c from the ground or will not pick it up, either decision is logical.

I want to put these on shirts.

neflight86
Thu, 04-04-2019, 07:26 PM
I'm at the point now where these schemes are beginning to grate until I understand the master plan behind them. Apparently its the church (the most unfortunate and cliche possibility) behind this, but I don't understand their rationalization so their side has no depth of purpose, and Malty working with them doesn't endear me any further.

I hope we either get away from this for a while or dive in nose first (and get some answers), because these shinanegans are just feeling lazy at this point.

Munsu
Thu, 04-04-2019, 10:02 PM
I'm at the point now where these schemes are beginning to grate until I understand the master plan behind them. Apparently its the church (the most unfortunate and cliche possibility) behind this, but I don't understand their rationalization so their side has no depth of purpose, and Malty working with them doesn't endear me any further.

I hope we either get away from this for a while or dive in nose first (and get some answers), because these shinanegans are just feeling lazy at this point.

Well, from the Church part it's no different than the Crusades. They for one reason or another consider the Shield hero (whomever wields it) devilish. And it makes some sense in some context because we've already seen the Rage side of the Shield. That seems fairly self explanatory.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-04-2019, 10:04 PM
I'm guessing a previous shield hero became way too powerful and caused a catastrophe, so the current system is trying to prevent that from happening again. From what we've seen, the shield is clearly head and shoulders above the other heroes in terms of specs and potential.

Kraco
Fri, 04-05-2019, 04:24 AM
I agree with KrayZ. Naofumi already knows the government hates his guts for reasons he doesn't understand, so there's nothing there he would need to learn from those goons. When soldiers try to kill a princess (or a prince), it's obvious it's for political reasons, nothing there to rack your brains over. Making it happen in front of Naofumi, the hated shield hero, would be self-explanatory. At the end of the day, Naofumi is always waiting for the next ill deed against him from the king/government and he has long since given up trying to ask why. His only concern is how to deal with it. However, to maintain his sanity, sense of personal justice, and pride, he doesn't want to make himself the villain the government calls him. That's why he doesn't attack random soldiers and guards, apart from self-defense. It wouldn't really help his case. Attacking them would only help his enemies. He would rather have absolutely nothing to do with them, which is why he treated Melty like he did.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Capturing soldiers who attacked you and the princess isn't being a villain. It's the responsible thing to do, even if you stand to gain nothing for it. Those guys are criminals, even by the Queendom's laws.

Putting that aside, you are basically saying Naofumi acted in a way that is in character, despite it being a clearly incorrect decision because he got banned from all towns and got pursued by 3 heroes because of it. If that is so, I can understand it. I took Naofumi to be a more shrewd and careful individual who would decide based on benefits vs loss and try to lower risk towards himself as much as possible, but his choice does make sense given what you said. He just didn't give a fuck about them anymore and didn't think through just how much worse his situation could be, which actually came to pass. He made an illogical and stupid decision, but one that made sense considering his scarred past and lack of hope.

Just some info:
Naofumi knew the orb recorded and displayed video. He saw and heard that from the King himself.
Naofumi knew the soldiers had an orb. His POV on that episode zoomed in on the soldiers and centered on the orb itself. It was literally in the center of the screen when he felt something was wrong. If the orb wasn't there, it would just be soldiers lined up, giving him no reason to suspect anything. Therefore, it is most reasonable to believe the orb was the trigger and that he knew it was there.
There is no evidence showing that the orb can transmit video.

Just putting that out there because events that actually happened in the episodes might have gotten muddled up in the discussion.

EDIT:
Before anyone says I can only say these things in retrospect, I was literally screaming at the screen, saying "Capture those soldiers and get the orb!" many times while those soldiers started to flee in that scene. The letting enemies go and having it to bite your ass hard later is just that common (and stupid) a trope. Naofumi, an otaku who likes to read, should know that too.

KrayZ33
Fri, 04-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Just some info:
Naofumi knew the orb recorded and displayed video. He saw and heard that from the King himself.
Naofumi knew the soldiers had an orb. His POV on that episode zoomed in on the soldiers and centered on the orb itself. It was literally in the center of the screen when he felt something was wrong. If the orb wasn't there, it would just be soldiers lined up, giving him no reason to suspect anything. Therefore, it is most reasonable to believe the orb was the trigger and that he knew it was there.
There is no evidence showing that the orb can transmit video.

Just putting that out there because events that actually happened in the episodes might have gotten muddled up in the discussion.

EDIT:
Before anyone says I can only say these things in retrospect, I was literally screaming at the screen, saying "Capture those soldiers and get the orb!" many times while those soldiers started to flee in that scene. The letting enemies go and having it to bite your ass hard later is just that common (and stupid) a trope. Naofumi, an otaku who likes to read, should know that too.

The orb stuff is extremely inconsistent and no-one can grasp what it can and what it can't do from just watching the anime.

There was for example also no evidence that it actually works like a video camera, because no one with an orb was present during the fight against the Souleater on that ship. So you'd think it allows the user to use clairvoyance - though I don't doubt it can be used to record and save scenes/images.
At the same time, he was summoned to the castle right after the whole thing, which would imply that information can be transmitted somehow.
In an earlier episode, they said the crystal ball can be used to gain skills.

Also, for the false footage to spread fast enough, there must be some way to transmit it to multiple locations at once. Otherwise bringing the orb back to base, alter it, bring it to the townspeople, to another town, to another town, to another town before Naofumi can would be impossible.

I don't understand how you seem to think my only complaint about the episode is that, when I said in my initial post:

I never said I do, just saying you seem to have picked one of the lesser "evils" - if it can even be called such. There are much more boorish and stupid ones imo.

Btw. I realised another reason why I like Filo so much, she reminds me a hell lot of Illaysviel.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-05-2019, 10:14 AM
Also, for the false footage to spread fast enough, there must be some way to transmit it to multiple locations at once. Otherwise bringing the orb back to base, alter it, bring it to the townspeople, to another town, to another town, to another town before Naofumi can would be impossible.

Or they brought back the ball, edited and copied it to other balls or even a different artifact, and sent the numerous copies out.

Or maybe the ball CAN transmit video, but requires a mage to transmit it post recording, and is not something a soldier can do.

Or maybe the ball can do anything whatsoever, which makes the author an utter idiot.

Like you, I can imagine a hundred different ways it could all play out. Stomping out one of them is always a better move than doing nothing, even if the results end up being the same (because you can't predict everything). That's called risk mitigation.

There was for example also no evidence that it actually works like a video camera, because no one with an orb was present during the fight against the Souleater on that ship.

There is evidence it works like a video camera, because they clearly recorded the "kidnapping" from the ball the soldier was holding, and we've seen the King watch a fight that happened in the past from a ball just like it. At the very least, that means the ball can record and playback video. Why the heck would you have 2 balls that look the same, and one just records, and the other just displays? Sure maybe they had such a dumb magical artifact, but it is more reasonable to assume it's one device that does both.

The orb may or may not have been in the ship fight (somewhere hidden from view, for example), but that doesn't matter. It was there in the assassination and throne scenes. That's solid and direct (vs circumstantial) evidence.

As for whether it can transmit video, there is no solid evidence, only conjecture on your part. We don't even have an accurate grasp of time lapses in this show, so using those as "proof" doesn't hold water. For example, in your "summoned to the castle" scenario, what if news traveled by messenger or some other magical means, and the orb physically traveled with a soldier at around the same pace as Naofumi did (he would have left later because he got summoned after the King heard the about what happened) and arrived at the same time or a bit earlier than him? That would also explain why the King was watching the video while Naofumi was there (because he just got it).

Does this matter? Not really, because it's all conjecture. Compare that to the very highly probable chances (as I explained above) that the orb can record and display video, and it's clear which one is more likely to be true.

[Note: I only say "very highly probable" (vs factual) because anything is possible. However, saying otherwise ("those are 2 different orbs with different functions!") is like claiming you are innocent in a court by saying your long lost identical twin did it.]

Kraco
Fri, 04-05-2019, 10:52 AM
I have no doubt Naofumi saw the crystal ball very clearly and must have thought someone was observing the events through it. I find it hard to believe he would have predicted the kind of modern approach of discrediting him through video manipulation and public playback of the altered recording. He might have expected that back in his original modern world if someone had been recording a confrontation with a camera or a smartphone, but in that historical world? Nah, I wouldn't have. That's why I'd say in his risk assessment of the situation he just wanted everything to be over as soon as possible without anyone dying (because no matter the circumstances, he knew he would be blamed for any deaths). It looked quite obvious the soldiers' Plan A was the princess dying, Plan B being what ended up happening.

Let's not forget Naofumi gains absolutely nothing from confronting the kingdom. Killing a bunch of nameless soldiers would be meaningless as there would be thousands more in reserve. It's also useless to argue against them because he's facing the very government itself and the king's word is the law (as far as he knew). Thus the only practical thing is to try to stay away from them and hope they leave him in peace, like they occasionally have.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-05-2019, 11:03 AM
I never said he should kill them (I said I would've killed them and incinerated their bodies, but that's me).

All I've been saying all this time is that the best and logical move would be to mitigate risk by removing all the risk factors that you can. He didn't do that, and it ended up blowing up in his face. Could he have stopped it by grabbing the orb, I'd say highly likely but no one knows for sure. But it's still better than just letting it go. Risk mitigation is very important to people who are already at high risk situations.

So Naofumi definitely did not take the best choice, but I do agree that he made an understandable choice considering his mindset and intellect. Lelouch or Light would never have let those mooks and the orb go.

Note:
I didn't predict the bloody photoshopping they did either. I did however think that with a bit of cutting of the video, they could totally make it look like a kidnapping. I mean, that plan was clearly to ruin his reputation, because that's always been the Queendom's plan.

KrayZ33
Fri, 04-05-2019, 01:01 PM
There is evidence it works like a video camera, because they clearly recorded the "kidnapping" from the ball the soldier was holding, and we've seen the King watch a fight that happened in the past from a ball just like it. At the very least, that means the ball can record and playback video. Why the heck would you have 2 balls that look the same, and one just records, and the other just displays? Sure maybe they had such a dumb magical artifact, but it is more reasonable to assume it's one device that does both.

The orb may or may not have been in the ship fight (somewhere hidden from view, for example), but that doesn't matter. It was there in the assassination and throne scenes. That's solid and direct (vs circumstantial) evidence.

Only to point it out how I see it:

you conclude that the crystal ball was there *after* we've seen it can record stuff like a videocamera.
At point in time where the scheme began, we didn't know the orb has to be in direct sight of what is happening.
Up to that point it looked like they can use clairvoyance and might look at how the fight is going from a bird's eye view because the orb was de facto not present on that ship during that episode.

As for whether it can transmit video, there is no solid evidence, only conjecture on your part. We don't even have an accurate grasp of time lapses in this show, so using those as "proof" doesn't hold water. For example, in your "summoned to the castle" scenario, what if news traveled by messenger or some other magical means, and the orb physically traveled with a soldier at around the same pace as Naofumi did (he would have left later because he got summoned after the King heard the about what happened) and arrived at the same time or a bit earlier than him? That would also explain why the King was watching the video while Naofumi was there (because he just got it).

The messenger part doesn't make sense because the messenger would've had to travel back and forth too. So it would've been telepathy or projection magic (which would lead me to think the orb can be used as a communication device)
Even if the king has seen that stuff inside the orb, that doesn't really mean it's a *recording* device, I didn't think of it as such during that scene even after seeing it..It's not like gypsies showing what has/will happen through a crystal ball are that rare in this genre.
even less so would you think you can somehow alter the footage inside it because that whole thing by itself was so utterly stupid, I couldn't believe it when I saw it happen.

Does this matter? Not really, because it's all conjecture. Compare that to the very highly probable chances (as I explained above) that the orb can record and display video, and it's clear which one is more likely to be true.

Yes, it matters. A whole lot even? I can't say I believe you one bit if you thought of that orb as a video camera that will record the hero during that scene to make him look like the devil because that super "around the bush"-idea is so alien to me and super unnecessary considering his status.

It didn't even remotely appear to me that this thing is to be used as a modern video camera.

Did I expect some dude to order the soldiers through it? Yes... because that's like the most common use for such a thing in fantasy shows from my experience. Did I expect it to be a medieval Canon/Sony-camera? Nah.
That's why it would've not even appeared on my "priority-list" to handle the situation that just occured

The most important thing however is that whether they have the video or not, it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I don't even see the point of that scheme, because they can say anything they want.
For Naofumi and how he is being viewed, what difference does it make.

I'll agree on the fact that it was a "mistake" though..in hindsight of what has happened. However I believe he acted like a normal human being during that particular moment.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-05-2019, 01:12 PM
you conclude that the crystal ball was there *after* we've seen it can record stuff like a video.
At point in time where the scheme began, we didn't know the orb has to be in direct sight of what is happening.
Up to that point it looked like they can use clairvoyance and might look at how the fight is going from a bird's eye view because the orb was de facto not present on that ship.

But we know that now. Do you mean Naofumi didn't know about it during the beginning of the assassination scheme? Sure. But it was easy to guess, and yes, I totally did guess it the moment I saw it, which is why I thought Naofumi would too.

The point I was trying to make in those statements is that the crystal is in fact a recorder and a playback tool, NOT that Naofumi knew that. Stop mixing up my arguments with each other.

Doesn't make sense because the messenger would've had to travel back and forth too.
Even if the king has seen that stuff inside the orb, that doesn't really mean it's a *recording* device,
even less so would you think you can somehow alter the footage inside it during that episode

I did mention some other magical means of communication, but that's irrelevant. I was just using that as an example that conjecture is meaningless in the face of direct evidence.

Yes, it matters. A whole lot even? I don't believe you one bit if you thought of that orb as a video camera that will record the hero during that scene to make him look like the devil with (as Buff put it) photoshop later.

I already said I didn't predict they would photoshop it, but I thought they could edit the video to make it seem like a fake kidnapping or assassination. I didn't think they'd spread it in towns. I just figured they'd try to accuse him in a trial again. I can't do anything if you don't believe me. Just know it's ridiculous to lie to someone on the internet who has no bearing on my real life.

Let me put my argument in a simpler way:

Naofumi saw a crystal that clued him in on a scheme because he saw it before in the King's throne room. Said crystal was still with the retreating soldiers. He should've tried to retrieve it even if he didn't know what exactly it did, even if it wouldn't actually help him in the future. Why? Risk mitigation. It may or may not yield results, but the cost of him retrieving the thing (a yes to Filo's offer) and also possibly preventing the soldiers from reporting the results of the scheme was so low that not doing so is just stupid. Whether it would actually help him or not in retrospect is conjecture due to lack of information and is irrelevant.

The funny thing is, one line after he said "No." to Filo could've fix this:

"Something is fishy, so this could be bait for us to chase them into a trap."

I can't put it any simpler, so if it doesn't get across with this, I'll stop here.

KrayZ33
Fri, 04-05-2019, 01:41 PM
I edited a few of my points to make it more obvious what I meant.
You are always so quick to reply. I never expect it and foolishly believe I have time to re-read/reedit to hit the right tone after I post -.-.

The point I was trying to make in those statements is that the crystal is in fact a recorder and a playback tool, NOT that Naofumi knew that. Stop mixing up my arguments with each other.

But no one denies that *now* after seeing it. (I think you confuse my point here, I don't doubt it anymore after seeing the latest episode)

I'm not mixing up your arguments, I'm talking about how the whole thing was seen by me *until* they've shown how the orbs (can) work and try to explain Naofumi's reasoning and thought process through this.

Evidence is different from hints and people like me/you or fictional characters like Naofumi, might or might not get the hint or interpret them in a completely different way.

Up until the photoshop part, there was no clear established fact of how that orb works or what it even is. I'm trying to tell you why there *was* more than enough doubt to not even consider the possibility of it recording stuff.

edit: editing done :>

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-05-2019, 01:52 PM
I'll agree on the fact that it was a "mistake" though..in hindsight of what has happened. However I believe he acted like a normal human being during that particular moment.

I agree with this, as I already said to Kraco.

And while I keep saying I guessed it was possibly a recording device during the incident, that is beside my point, which is: Regardless if it'd done any difference to the result, that orb (recorder or transmitter or whatever it was) and those soldiers should've been captured for risk mitigation at low cost.

KrayZ33
Fri, 04-05-2019, 02:30 PM
Yes, that would've been the most optimal thought process and decision.

But this is why I tried to use that weird example with the 5c on the ground to try and explain Naofumi's thought process, considering what we've seen of the orb until now, his status, his mindset about royality and their schemes and the situation itself.

Basically I'm thinking that Naofumi had reason to not bother and didn't question it further even though they certainly could've used additonal lines there such as "Shall I capture them, Master?" - "Why even bother, whatever they are trying to think up, they'll paint me as the villain anyway" or "No, we should see to it that we get somewhere safe, they probably called for assistance using that magical orb and this place will be full of soldiers soon"

etc. etc.

KrayZ33
Wed, 04-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Ep 14:

Ya, pretty interesting, but it's somewhat of a letdown if you consider that you have to wait a week and the next episode title sounds like it might be some kind of flashback episode.

At least I got to see some bird action

Kraco
Wed, 04-10-2019, 05:43 PM
That noble didn't seem overly worried about detaining and planning to assault a royal princess. Seems like the king's rule is quite flimsy. No doubt with the queen away, the nobles far away from the capital have become bold. It doesn't help Malty is pouring gasoline on the fire (even literally), but you'd think many nobles would hesitate when dealing with an idiot like her.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-10-2019, 09:49 PM
Shit episode again. This show is degrading very quickly.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-11-2019, 05:30 AM
Melty shouldn't have been scared. She's got Water Blade.

Kraco
Thu, 04-11-2019, 06:41 AM
Melty shouldn't have been scared. She's got Water Blade.

Probably takes too much time to cast. I don't remember anymore. She's just a kid anyway. She has the right to be scared.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 04-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Well as a kid, yes she has the right to be scared.

Realistically as the second most important person in the nation with the Queen's shadows at close proximity at all times I presume, she should never be in any real danger. She should probably also know it.

KrayZ33
Thu, 04-11-2019, 12:34 PM

I actually thought it was better than the last and better than some of the earlier episodes. So it's going uphill again!

shinta|hikari
Thu, 04-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Different expectations.

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-11-2019, 03:06 PM

That's the general impression I see from most people regarding the manga and the novel itself. It's great, until it suddenly very much is not. Glass' first appearance is the turning point in my opinion.

The series has a decent narrative, and should have a good ending spot to that narrative (Naofumi clearing his name completely). Then they introduce Glass and imply bigger picture stuff is going on that has never been even foreshadowed in the slightest.

It's like the point in most shonen series where the first narrative ends and then bam...Tournament arc with an entirely new nemesis out of nowhere.

Munsu
Wed, 04-17-2019, 10:29 AM
Episode 15:

Overall didn't mind the substance of this episode much, it brought back a lot of the "weight" the earlier episodes had, but kinda hate how they seemingly retconned Raphtalia's past. Not that it was a bad background for her to have, just that it makes little sense considering her reactions to things so far. Also, if this background was true, she should've had more urgency to resolve it than she's had until now (which has been none).

KrayZ33
Wed, 04-17-2019, 11:15 AM
The darker tone does this show *so-much* good.

Kraco
Wed, 04-17-2019, 03:41 PM
Also, if this background was true, she should've had more urgency to resolve it than she's had until now (which has been none).

I never thought about that. You are absoutely correct. She never did anything to suggest she would have wanted to return to this castle to rescue her fellow villagers. I don't remember how this was in the manga. It would have made more sense if she had had a strong reason to believe all the villagers had been shipped away.

KrayZ33
Wed, 04-17-2019, 11:09 PM
Well, she had nightmares since forever and those weren't caused by the hound alone, which they've killed in episode 3 or 4.
She was never able to conclude with her past... until now (probably).

Also, I'm not really sure if she is the type to urge someone else into her problems.

Munsu
Wed, 04-17-2019, 11:53 PM
Well, she had nightmares since forever and those weren't caused by the hound alone, which they've killed in episode 3 or 4.
She was never able to conclude with her past... until now (probably).

Also, I'm not really sure if she is the type to urge someone else into her problems.

Her nightmares were always framed with the deaths of her parents. But now in this new past, it seems like that whole scenario had no impact on her psyche at all.

KrayZ33
Thu, 04-18-2019, 09:53 AM
The last episode before this one showed that her nightmares returned to her due to where they are and what has happened in the past.

I don't see how this is any different now than in episode ~2 where we saw her in a cage on the slavemarket.

We already know that she was a slave and that she got punished/beaten more often than not ever since the end of episode 1 / beginning of episode 2.

There is also the little extra bit from the kid's menu - the flag - she held so firmly in her hand while eating. (just to point out that cute detail there)

edit:
Overall I'd say I agree, the trauma was too easily defeated. I do think however, that this has been the case from the very beginning and not just now, because her past/flashbacks in this episode were hardly worse than what we already knew about it/her.
But then again, she jumped up a decade or so physically in less than a month and who knows how much she aged mentally as well when she grew up like that.

Munsu
Thu, 04-18-2019, 12:54 PM
The last episode before this one showed that her nightmares returned to her due to where they are and what has happened in the past.

I don't see how this is any different now than in episode ~2 where we saw her in a cage on the slavemarket.

We already know that she was a slave and that she got punished/beaten more often than not ever since the end of episode 1 / beginning of episode 2.

There is also the little extra bit from the kid's menu - the flag - she held so firmly in her hand while eating. (just to point out that cute detail there)

edit:
Overall I'd say I agree, the trauma was too easily defeated. I do think however, that this has been the case from the very beginning and not just now, because her past/flashbacks in this episode were hardly worse than what we already knew about it/her.
But then again, she jumped up a decade or so physically in less than a month and who knows how much she aged mentally as well when she grew up like that.

My point is that in the "new" past, her parent's death tragedy really didn't have much impact on her... I mean, she was already all about doing the smile thing, and rebuilding... she wasn't crying or anything about her parents. Yeah, sad, but not nightmarish as portrayed earlier in the series. It wan't the event that was holding her back, which was how it was depicted.

What this "new" past showed was that her enslavement was more worthy of her nightmares, but the beginning of the series minimized the trauma.

MFauli
Fri, 04-19-2019, 08:03 AM
Last episode was really bad. They made a big deal of what was done to the demi-humans but NEVER showed anything. So wat? Locked up? Starved? Beaten? That's all so lame.

And the heavy handed death of the bad guy sucked, too. First Raphi generously spares his life. Then , totally out if character, he attacks her again, thus 'legitimizing' that she kills him after all. It made no sense for this guy to suddenly change his mind and believe he could overpower all these people. It was 100% a cheap plot device used by the author to get rid of the guy, because anything else would have required effort :/

Anyway.
I hope the hero more strongly relies on his former no bs-policy. It's frustrating how m@ny times he gets in a bad spot because he's still too soft and passive. Just fucking murder these assholes that go after you! And fuck, if the red haired princess isn't gruesomly killed at the end, it'll be the worst anime ever.

KrayZ33
Fri, 04-19-2019, 11:07 AM
Last episode was really bad. They made a big deal of what was done to the demi-humans but NEVER showed anything. So wat? Locked up? Starved? Beaten? That's all so lame.

"where's muh raaaaaaape 8["

as for the fat man, I think that scene and him getting all agressive was stupid too, his superiority complex for demi-humans wasn't established "enough" to justify the sudden switch in behavior. It happend to fast overall.

But it was certainly not a plot device to get rid of him, because it didn't even get rid of him.

MFauli
Fri, 04-19-2019, 01:43 PM
"where's muh raaaaaaape 8["

Come on. I just wanted to see something that justifies the slow build up. Instead we saw a generic prison. Ok.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-19-2019, 02:38 PM
While I think Krayz is being a little snowflakey, you sort of have established a certain reputation here.

MFauli
Fri, 04-19-2019, 02:51 PM
While I think Krayz is being a little snowflakey, you sort of have established a certain reputation here.

Which doesn't change my criticism towards that whole scene.

Her hatred indeed made it feel as if he had raped her, but as it played out, that clearly didn't happen. So I wanted to see what else he did. Mind you, being imprisoned surely is bad in itself, but this anime doesn't exist in a vacuum. It was a letdown, simple as that.

Oh, and flashbacks suck. I think the only flashback in anime history I actually wanted to see was Kakashi Gaiden. Otherwise flashbacks always suck and interrupt the much more interesting present story.

KrayZ33
Fri, 04-19-2019, 03:44 PM
What the hell are you talking about m8, that sick fuck wipped the shit out of them for fun and starved them to the verge of death for months, looted the already destroyed town, seperated the children from their parents and most likely sent the rest to slavelabour like some kind of medieval Hitler.

He didn't "put them in a room and locked the door" or something? Her hatred towards him was more than justified with that.
What is wrong with you ~~~~

This is still a "kidz"/young adult show and not some postal movie for the sick mind. Doesn't take a whole lot to imagine that they won't show children walking in their own feces and shitting themselves, and also doesn't take a whole lot for an adult to imagine that this is exactly what has happened.
What do you think will they do in a room without a toilet and why do you think they started getting sick?

Come on, seriously.

MFauli
Fri, 04-19-2019, 04:09 PM
What the hell are you talking about m8, that sick fuck wipped the shit out of them for fun and starved them to the verge of death for months, looted the already destroyed town, seperated the children from their parents and most likely sent the rest to slavelabour like some kind of medieval Hitler.

But that's all standard fare. Don't make go through 10+ minutes of build up if you don't have anything shocking to reveal.

KrayZ33
Fri, 04-19-2019, 04:22 PM
the goalposts, they moved so far....

you not getting your kicks due to the lack of gore and snuff doesn't mean the characters did act out of reason.

MFauli
Fri, 04-19-2019, 04:49 PM
the goalposts, they moved so far....

you not getting your kicks due to the lack of gore and snuff doesn't mean the characters did act out of reason.

Try reading my post again. Maybe you]ll understand it eventually.

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-20-2019, 04:26 AM
I understood it perfectly fine, you were disappointed and criticise the scene because you, like always, wanted to see rape.
But I'll stop here, it's completely pointless to talk about this with you, since you are being completely unrealisitc and unreasonable.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-20-2019, 01:25 PM
The T-Rex was just as random here as it was in the manga, but the pacing was better for this chapter overall than the episode. I also remember being clearly more disgusted at the fat dude in the manga, but I can't tell you exactly why. Here he's more just pathetic.

neflight86
Sun, 04-21-2019, 01:22 AM
Flashbacks are always a dicey proposition, more so when watching weekly. It completely stops story momentum, and signals that it is doing so, sapping anticipation for the rest of the episode. The trade-off, in theory, for the cardinal sin of the flashback is that you gain insight into a character that alters how you empathize with them, or reveals a previously unknown fact or motivation. This flashback did neither, sadly. Sad raccoon girl who we met as a slave had bad things happen to her before being sold into slavery... and she had slave friends. Nothing about my perception of her has changed, making this feel like padding. Unfortunate, but forgivable.

KrayZ33
Wed, 04-24-2019, 11:21 AM
Episode 16

the animation-style (not the art style) felt completely different, almost as if another studio started animating it. The CGI stuff sucked (like it always does) but the movements, surroundings and such had a much better "flow" to it. It really felt like they went for detail and focused on stuff that they would otherwise not bother with.

The hair, the movement of the head while talking etc. etc.

Weird - but I liked it.