PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Slayer

Pages : [1] 2

Kraco
Sat, 10-06-2018, 03:00 PM
https://i.imgur.com/9Uarfh7.jpg

"A young priestess has formed her first adventuring party, but almost immediately they find themselves in distress. It's the Goblin Slayer who comes to their rescue—a man who's dedicated his life to the extermination of all goblins, by any means necessary. And when rumors of his feats begin to circulate, there's no telling who might come calling next..." -Yen Press

- - - - - - - -

The show I was waiting for the most this season. This didn't disappoint, though naturally as a manga reader I was worried. It's an odd mix of standard anime style and Berserk dark world/action. At first I wasn't sure of the MC's voice actor, but thinking about it more carefully, the voice actually fits him. The violence and death were there as well, so this wasn't turned into any shounen in the anime. I'm looking forward to the other central characters and how the dry and subtle humour will work animated and voiced!

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-06-2018, 05:34 PM
Did the rape make it in?

MFauli
Sat, 10-06-2018, 06:26 PM
Yeah, the rape scene was one of the highlights, really nice.

Anyway:
It was okay overall. I'm not a fan of this standard happy-artstyle, kinda clashes with the cruelty of this world. That's also another weak point: the members of the killed group behaved as if this was an isekai-esque vrmmorpg environment. Not a single care in the world, even though it seems to be common knowledge that goblins steal, murder and kidnap. Then the quest lady didn't warn them, just got a worried face - um, lady, coulda said a word lol.

The animation is good, the mood was great when things went awry. Will keep watching.

On a personal note, I dislike the slayer's attitude regarding good goblins. He said 'there might be good goblins, yes. But the best goblin is one that stays in his cave'. It's obvious that he doesn't value a goblin's life anything, BUT if he acknowledges that good goblins can exist, then he's an asshole. He's basically generalizing all goblins and collectively punishing them, even if there are good natured ones. I don't support that .

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-06-2018, 07:29 PM
The guild girl did warn them. She told them to wait for more experienced adventurers to take the case, but the dood didn't listen and started yammering about how strong they were.

I think the point of the episode is that humans underestimate goblins. A lot. When they really shouldn't.

All the goblin killing reminds me of Grimgar, only those guys were more dickish because they attacked the goblins who were just playing chess in their homes, not raping and pillaging villages.

Also, just because a good goblin can exist doesn't mean it does. It's like how god can exist, but I've never run into him. What he basically meant with that statement is that he's never seen a good goblin before.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-06-2018, 10:53 PM
I dislike the slayer's attitude regarding good goblins. He said 'there might be good goblins, yes. But the best goblin is one that stays in his cave'. It's obvious that he doesn't value a goblin's life anything, BUT if he acknowledges that good goblins can exist, then he's an asshole. He's basically generalizing all goblins and collectively punishing them, even if there are good natured ones. I don't support that .

Is that how you read his words? Because I read it as "Goblin Slayer is totally a goblin himself." While he goes around killing Goblins because he believes they're evil, he himself doesn't consider himself a "good" goblin just because of that. He thinks he would have been better off keeping to his own cave, and what he's doing now is merely making up for whatever happened in the past.

Yeah, he's totally racist against goblins, but that's who he is. "They hold onto grudges for life."

(edit: he's a goblin-type. Maybe not one of the midget folks, but a goblin-like species.)

I generally consider quest-givers at guilds to be more akin to brokers than advisers. As such, I consider her warning ample. She's not supposed to necessarily dissuade adventurers from quests, especially when it's an urgent quest to save kidnapped girls.

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-07-2018, 03:02 AM
Goblin Slayer is certainly not a goblin himself, he wouldn't have to hide his scent otherwise.
He also said he can't see properly in the dark

The first episode was amazing. The only thing I'd consider somewhat weird was when he abandoned his sword because "there is too much blood on it". (Maybe he meant he can't grab it anymore and it would slip out of his hand?)

Other than that I was actually suprised how versatile the fighting was and that even small things like the totem had a meaning to them.

I'm also suprised that the rape made it in and how brutal it was in general.
I read the first chapters (basically exactly where episode 1 ended) beforehand and it's a really nice adaptation.
The only part that was missing as far as I remember it was that the goblin-poison is supposedly made out of goblin their feces and dirt - which I found did add another level of "ugh - disgusting beasts" when I read it.

Another cool thing right now would be his helmed and the missing "horns" on the side. I wonder if he lost them because he keeps fighting non stop, or if he removed them so he could walk around in caves more easily.
I also enjoy how is armor is completely roughed up, telling us that he is indeed in the field slaying monsters.

Kraco
Sun, 10-07-2018, 03:03 AM
Adventurers are very much like mercenaries in that particular world, working for the coin, so it's like Bill said: The guild receptionist can't really do much about it, aside from a fair warning. On the other hand it's not like she could absolutely know how strong the adventurers are or how difficult that particular nest of goblins would be, even if she had some guesses. There's no doubt some green adventurers do pull it off just fine. Some don't.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-07-2018, 03:38 AM
The first episode was amazing. The only thing I'd consider somewhat weird was when he abandoned his sword because "there is too much blood on it". (Maybe he meant he can't grab it anymore and it would slip out of his hand?)

I thought it was showing that Goblin Slayer doesn't stay particularly attached to any given weapon. He simply uses what is best suited at the time. He got a lot of use out of the goblins' own weapons because they were suited to cave size fighting. The line about the blood had to do with their sense of smell. Coated in that much goblin blood, they would smell him coming...but that doesn't work with the other scene were he coats them both in blood and dirt. So whatever.

We should discuss how amazing the soundtrack is for this episode. Super evocative for all of the scenes and really driving the emotions home. Gives me chills listening to the priestess describe the outcome toward the end of the episode. The music is so perfectly suited.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-07-2018, 08:31 AM
The blood is actually about the grease. The more you use a knife to slice up animals, the more blood and fat get onto the blade, coating it and making it duller. That's why when you butcher animals, you need to wash your blade with hot water to keep it sharp. You can still kill with a fat dulled blade, but it can cause a slice to falter at a critical moment. Clearly, Goblin Slayer isn't the type to risk that.

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-07-2018, 08:52 AM
Interesting, didn't know that...

Another awesome little detail: he grabbed that newbie adventurer's sword as loot.
I like that resourcefulness.

Seriously, that was one an amazing first episode. I'm loving it, one of my favorite moments was when he used his shield to smash that Goblin into a wall and used his burning torch to finish him off.

So satisfying

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 10-07-2018, 09:03 AM
Yeah he goes through weapons quickly it seems. All he cares about is effectiveness in killing Goblins.
Long sword isn't suited for in-cave fighting but can still be used a quick stab.

MFauli
Sun, 10-07-2018, 05:49 PM
He probably played Breath of the Wild 🐧

Kraco
Mon, 10-08-2018, 03:22 AM
He probably played Breath of the Wild ��

He has played Last Breath of the Goblin. Too many times to count.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 10-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Did the rape make it in?
Yeah, the rape scene was one of the highlights, really nice.They said, salivating.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-08-2018, 08:33 AM
Way to project.

MFauli
Mon, 10-08-2018, 03:27 PM
They said, salivating.

I'm of the opinion that there should be much more rape in anime, games, movies, etc.. We're so used to MURDER that when rape occurs, many call it 'edgy'. Yet, rape is infinitely less bad than fucking murder/being killed, so as to restore the balance: more rape pls.

PS: And if in the course of it a hot girl is shown, well ... 🐧👍

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-08-2018, 03:47 PM
What is with that penguin image?

MFauli
Mon, 10-08-2018, 04:06 PM
What is with that penguin image?

It's my go-to emoji for all kinds of weird feelings.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 10-09-2018, 06:19 AM
Way to project.
PS: And if in the course of it a hot girl is shown, well ...https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/thumbs/120/facebook/138/smirking-face_1f60f.png

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-09-2018, 07:25 AM
I'm of the opinion that there should be much more rape in anime, games, movies, etc.. We're so used to MURDER that when rape occurs, many call it 'edgy'. Yet, rape is infinitely less bad than fucking murder/being killed, so as to restore the balance: more rape pls.

PS: And if in the course of it a hot girl is shown, well ... ����

Rape is more akin to torture than it is to murder. On screen, both rape and torture can trigger the same uncomfortable emotional response as we watch someone suffer and have their human rights violated.

Arousal is a different question.

MFauli
Tue, 10-09-2018, 08:21 AM
Rape is more akin to torture than it is to murder. On screen, both rape and torture can trigger the same uncomfortable emotional response as we watch someone suffer and have their human rights violated.

As opposed to ... no 'uncomfortable emotional response' when watching someone get killed, headshotted, stomped, sliced, etc.?

Yeah, sorry, that was a weak argument, Buff.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 10-09-2018, 12:14 PM
I attribute it to the audience being so used to death in entertainment that they no longer feel the emotional response.

My only concern about widely including rape in stories is the impact it might have on rape survivors. Death is something no one has actually survived, so that's less of an issue with killing.

MFauli
Tue, 10-09-2018, 12:52 PM
I attribute it to the audience being so used to death in entertainment that they no longer feel the emotional response.

My only concern about widely including rape in stories is the impact it might have on rape survivors. Death is something no one has actually survived, so that's less of an issue with killing.

Relatives of murder victims exist, too, though. And if we stop including elements that might trigger someone, we better stop writing dramatic stories altogether. Also South Park.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 10-09-2018, 01:03 PM
I didn't say to stop writing about it. I said my concern was in widely including rape in stories.

Relatives of murder also get hurt/relive trauma when watching murder stories, which is why some avoid them. I was speaking of death in general, which can be duels, war, crime, accidents, disasters, superhero action movies.

If we include rape on a much wider scale, it'll be harder for rape survivors to avoid reliving trauma.

KrayZ33
Tue, 10-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Why would you include rape in shounen stories.

In the other formats, it's not that uncommon, the "nearly raped" stuff is actually pretty common. (even in shounen)

That being said, the act of killing is mostly swift. Rape isn't.
It's the same with torture scenes in general. No one minds the killing spree in John Wick, most scenes in Saw however are somewhat irritating.

You'd also alienate half the viewerbase's waifus like that

Kraco
Tue, 10-09-2018, 05:10 PM
The human brain is not capable of processing nothingness, so death has a different impact from rape or other forms of torture, which anyone can imagine to some degree, some more than others if they have gone through considerable pain. Of course for some brainwashed poor bastards death might even appear to be a gate to a better place. Seeing violent death in practice might still be scary, but in fiction it relies entirely on imagination, wherein lies the problem. If it's a truly gruesome death, it might help.

MFauli
Tue, 10-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Why would you include rape in shounen stories.

In the other formats, it's not that uncommon, the "nearly raped" stuff is actually pretty common. (even in shounen)

That being said, the act of killing is mostly swift. Rape isn't.
It's the same with torture scenes in general. No one minds the killing spree in John Wick, most scenes in Saw however are somewhat irritating.

You'd also alienate half the viewerbase's waifus like that

Which is exactly the issue. We're so used to fictional murder that nobody bats an eye when it happens. But rape rarely takes place, thus the reactions range from disgust to 'so edgy'. And that when rape is a much lesser crime (I won't debate that. Anybody who claim's he'd prefer death over rape is a psycho).

And no, I don't want to add rape to shounen. I want rape where it makes sense for the story. For example, that's why the Purge-movies are complete bogus imo. They're saying that once a year, all crimes are ok - and they think murder is what people would do? LOL. Most people would rob/steal stuff. And 2nd most people would try to fuck (aka rape) all the hot girls they don't have a chance with otherwise. Murder is so grave, most people wouldn't do it even if it was legal for a day. But in the Purge-movies, no rape happens. That just kills all believability for me.

As for anime, there should have been rape in Naruto. The show even mentions the dangers for kunoichi, but then nothing ever happens. Or Boku no Hero Academia - they probably don't even know what rape is, lol,but I don't blame it, the villains don't even kill anyone.

Matter of fact is, rape needs to stop being made a taboo. It hapebs every day irl, it should happen reasonably often in fiction, too, especially when murder is shown ad nauseum.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-09-2018, 11:17 PM
As opposed to ... no 'uncomfortable emotional response' when watching someone get killed, headshotted, stomped, sliced, etc.?

Yeah, sorry, that was a weak argument, Buff.

Pfft.

People get killed on screen all the time without knowing they even died. Try torturing someone without them knowing or screaming.

And would I feel less uncomfortable with someone who was raped while unconscious? You bet I would. The victim would too.

People getting getting headshotted and stomped is gruesome. Conscious rape and torture is cruel.

That's what feels uncomfortable.

MFauli
Tue, 10-09-2018, 11:25 PM
Pfft.

People get killed on screen all the time without knowing they even died. Try torturing someone without them knowing or screaming.

And would I feel less uncomfortable with someone who was raped while unconscious? You bet I would. The victim would too.

People getting getting headshotted and stomped is gruesome. Conscious rape and torture is cruel.

That's what feels uncomfortable.

Them screaming is the privilege of being ALIVE. As opposed to being DEAD.

It's fucked up that you brush away the severity of murder with 'it happens all the time'.

KrayZ33
Wed, 10-10-2018, 12:11 AM
That's not what he was saying.

Look at it this way.
People choose to die to escape from what they are suffering from.
Death is even considered an appropiate punishment in some countries (not that I'd agree).

So it's not really difficult to grasp that people are okay with death on screen, "they deserve it".

Whenever people get *butchered* on screen over a long(er) period of time, it has pretty much the same effect as torture/rape and that's why you see this stuff in 18+ movies instead of +16 ones.

And it's not a taboo either, it's certainly rarely shown, for reason already mentioned, but it happens in stories rather frequently.
Never watched the Purge movies, obviously it's a trash movie considering their plot, but maybe they mentioned it somewhere that "you can kill/steal/rape/fuck anyone you want!"

It's more a question about what the director/writer wants the movie to be.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-10-2018, 03:06 AM
Them screaming is the privilege of being ALIVE. As opposed to being DEAD.

It's fucked up that you brush away the severity of murder with 'it happens all the time'.

Summary to date:

#16 MFauli: (link) (https://www.gotwoot.org/showthread.php/23788-Goblin-Slayer?p=564307&viewfull=1#post564307)
-Pointed out that murder is depicted more than rape in media.
-Pointed out that rape is commonly considered "edgey" despite being less bad than murder (as per MFauli)
-Suggests rape to be depicted more commonly in media to 'restore balance'.

#20 Buff: (link) (https://www.gotwoot.org/showthread.php/23788-Goblin-Slayer?p=564323&viewfull=1#post564323)
-Suggests rape is more comparable to torture than murder.
-Suggests rape and torture triggers uncomfortable viewer response due to their depiction of suffering.

#21 MFauli: (link) (https://www.gotwoot.org/showthread.php/23788-Goblin-Slayer?p=564324&viewfull=1#post564324)
-Argues that getting "killed, headshotted, stomped, sliced" triggers a comparable level of discomfort.

#27 MFauli: (link) (https://www.gotwoot.org/showthread.php/23788-Goblin-Slayer?p=564334&viewfull=1#post564334)
-suggests audiences are numb to murder because of on-screen frequency.
-urges for rape to be included in media when appropriate/realistic.
-Then argues that rape should happen reasonably often in fiction too, since murder is frequent.

#28 Buff: (link) (https://www.gotwoot.org/showthread.php/23788-Goblin-Slayer?p=564336&viewfull=1#post564336)
-Argues that the victim's experience is a large factor in viewer discomfort.
-Argues that murder without prior visual suffering or victim knowledge is less cruel than conscious rape and torture.
-Points out difference between (graphic) gruesomeness and depicted cruelty as factors influencing viewer discomfort.
-Suggests the latter is why rape is considered more uncomfortable than murder by some audiences.

#29 MFauli: (link) (https://www.gotwoot.org/showthread.php/23788-Goblin-Slayer?p=564337&viewfull=1#post564337)
-Argues that screaming, living victims are more well off than dead ones.
-argues that Buff is fucked up for dismissing severity of murder to "it happens all the time".

--------------

Now..

1) I agree that rape makes audiences feel more uncomfortable relative to murder, generally speaking.
-I disagree that this is due to the frequency of depiction.
-I suggest that rape is uncomfortable to watch in media because it shows physical suffering of the victim. It is this suffering that the audiences empathises with, and thus feels uncomfortable with.

2) I argue that murder can impart less physical suffering to the victim, depending on how it happens. As such, it makes sense that viewers can be more accepting while watching them on screen. [1]

3) I argue that there is no "balance" to speak of.
-As suggested by others, on-screen depiction is also driven by the message/intent of the producer.
-Crime rates of rape and murder have no bearing on how often they should appear on screen.
-There is no role in media to alter rape/murder frequency on screen to reflect real life data.
-Crime severity and viewer discomfort have no inherent connection.
----- For reasons stated above, murder carrying a higher legal penalty than rape despite being visually more tolerable makes sense.
----- Off-topic example: Stealing $1billion from a bank carries a higher penalty than stealing the purse of a granny, arguably speaking. The disgust one can feel towards the latter is reasonably explained by the audience more easily empathising with the granny's suffering post theft.

Foot note:

[1] -It's interesting that you mentioned that "anybody who claims he'd prefer death over rape is a psycho".
Psychopathy is a mental health disorder characterised, amongst other things, by the lack of empathy of the person resulting in cruelty.

By not empathising with your victim, the psychopath more freely beats the living shit out of them for whatever reason they had in mind.
Non-psychopaths in general will be able to
-empathise with the suffering of their victim,
-feeling uncomfortable with this empathised suffering,
-recognise this as "cruelty"
-and stop.

-Others have already touched on the fact that empathising with dead people is inherently more difficult for viewers, than empathising with survivors of trauma, or sufferers actively experiencing trauma.

-As such, a person preferring to experience death without suffering than to endure rape would be quite reasonable, psychologically speaking in my opinion.

MFauli
Wed, 10-10-2018, 04:08 AM
Sorry, Buff, but you're (unintentionally) forgetting about a crucial, very real part of all the killing in media: the terror of deadly fear, knowing that someone is out to end your life, or even knowing that there's no chance to survive to begin with.

You keep saying how it's the torturous nature of rape that makes it uncomfortable, but the same goes for murder.

If you intend to counter this with 'but it's usually not depicted that way' (which really wouldn't be true), let me make it clear for you that I'm not saying I want more full-length rape scenes, showing how the victim is raped. (We've got hentai anime for that🙈🐧) No, it'd be enough to just show the beginning or aftermath of rape, or even talk about its existence.

I just keep finding ridiculous how murder is often portayed as an ok thing, while rape is deemed 'edgy/unforgivable'. Fuck, lool at Vegeta. Murdered a ton of innnocent people all his life. But Gou forgives him and that ... makes him a good guy who gets to fimd happiness with his own family? Now imagime Vegeta raped some girl. Suddenly he'd be an irredeemable monster, lol. People are such stupid phonies when it comes to proper treatment of various crimes.

In the end, I'm simply sick of murder being used so extremely lightly. It cheapens any story's 'weight' as well as offends the value of a person's life. I'm 3 episodes into ReRided. The heroes keep runming from inmidst gun fire successfully as if these villains were shooting with pea guns. That's also bs. :/

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-10-2018, 05:47 AM
Sorry, Buff, but you're (unintentionally) forgetting about a crucial, very real part of all the killing in media: the terror of deadly fear, knowing that someone is out to end your life, or even knowing that there's no chance to survive to begin with.

You keep saying how it's the torturous nature of rape that makes it uncomfortable, but the same goes for murder.

See:

"2) I argue that murder can impart less physical suffering to the victim, depending on how it happens. As such, it makes sense that viewers can be more accepting while watching them on screen. [1]"

Kraco
Wed, 10-10-2018, 07:31 AM
Eh, I don't think murder is depicted as an okay thing. Killing is. Like killing crimimals/villains/opponents, killing enemies in war. Of course good guys can die as well, but I'd say viewers are more annoyed by a liked character dying, thus being removed from the story, than imagining death as such and being personally scared of it. Even people who don't support capital punishment in real life can be satisfied with villains dying in a movie. They can separate reality from fiction.

Torture/rape is felt as disgusting and uncomfortable by too many, so authors/studios would avoid it to make more people watch the movie/series. It's hardly their business to make the audience more used to rape since they are already used to deaths (what a social/professional suicide it would be for a producer/director to announce such a goal).

MFauli
Wed, 10-10-2018, 08:57 AM
See:

"2) I argue that murder can impart less physical suffering to the victim, depending on how it happens. As such, it makes sense that viewers can be more accepting while watching them on screen. [1]"

I saw that, but ignored it because it's a cheap semantic tool that leaves all options open for you :] Anything 'can' be anything.

@kraco:

Torture/rape is felt as disgusting and uncomfortable by too many

Yeah, and I'm saying killing should evoke no lesser reactions. When Ainz murdered all those good people last season? It's fucking gross if you think about it - but no huge outrage outside of people finding it boring. :/

KrayZ33
Wed, 10-10-2018, 10:46 AM
When Ainz killed 70.000 people with a single spell, no one suffered any pain whatsoever.
On top of that, it's war, they are soldiers.
The ones who are suffering are the families back home. They didn't show that.

When Ainz murdered the (good) Workers, not much was shown, pretty much all of it was implied at most.

Kraco
Wed, 10-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Yeah, and I'm saying killing should evoke no lesser reactions. When Ainz murdered all those good people last season? It's fucking gross if you think about it - but no huge outrage outside of people finding it boring. :/

Killing does bother people in fiction if they see no reason and justification for it. Typically they label a senseless killer a villain and don't root for them. Ainz is a villain. Like I was quite disappointed he had Arche killed. I thought she was too cute to be killed and it left her two little sisters behind to be sold as sex slaves, most probably. You just have to stomach it to follow such stories. However, if there's a valid reason for the killing, no matter the numbers, then people accept it as a part of the story. That's just how it is. I guess that's how evolution made the human mind work.

MFauli
Wed, 10-10-2018, 03:29 PM
Killing does bother people in fiction if they see no reason and justification for it. Typically they label a senseless killer a villain and don't root for them. Ainz is a villain. Like I was quite disappointed he had Arche killed. I thought she was too cute to be killed and it left her two little sisters behind to be sold as sex slaves, most probably. You just have to stomach it to follow such stories. However, if there's a valid reason for the killing, no matter the numbers, then people accept it as a part of the story. That's just how it is. I guess that's how evolution made the human mind work.

The girl in GS was raped, because there are no female goblins and that's how they procreate. Pretty good justification imo.

Kraco
Wed, 10-10-2018, 04:22 PM
The girl in GS was raped, because there are no female goblins and that's how they procreate. Pretty good justification imo.

Very few would root for the goblins in this story. They are just basic monsters. Besides, as has been said multiple times in this thread, torture/rape and death are not the same. The usual throng in the internets protested against the rape, but they didn't care nearly as much about the dude getting hacked into pieces, for example.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 10-11-2018, 02:23 AM

Procreation isn't a justifiable right lol.

Just because no girls want consensual sex with me doesn't justify my raping them. -_-...

But it's acceptable in this setting as being part of the story. We're not asking for its removal.

MFauli
Thu, 10-11-2018, 05:35 AM
Very few would root for the goblins in this story. They are just basic monsters. Besides, as has been said multiple times in this thread, torture/rape and death are not the same. The usual throng in the internets protested against the rape, but they didn't care nearly as much about the dude getting hacked into pieces, for example.

And I explained why murder has the same uncomfortable situation of rape, i.e. the 'receeding terror and the following grief.

And people who are ok with a guy hacked in pieces (and slowly and with great detail, too) but are shocked over a rape scene ... well, fuck those assholes :/

Kraco
Thu, 10-11-2018, 09:15 AM
And I explained why murder has the same uncomfortable situation of rape, i.e. the 'receeding terror and the following grief.

Nobody was murdered. Either you could say he was killed by monsters (the same as getting killed by a bear, for example) or he died in a war/conflict between humans and goblins if you want to present the goblins more like a society of intelligent beings, which they basically indeed are. Multiple times more goblins were killed as well, not murdered.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 10-11-2018, 09:20 AM
I think he meant killed.

KrayZ33
Thu, 10-11-2018, 11:25 AM
I want to point out that neither rape nor the brutal death was shown in this show.
(So I don't understand where that "hacked into pieces in great detail" stuff is coming from)

The 2 extremes are equally awful and both are equally unnecessary to animate in detail.

Death in general however is something completely different.

I'm not sure what the discussion is currently about anymore.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 10-11-2018, 12:42 PM
I think Mfauli's main issue is why the rape is being received with more hate/disgust than the brutal killing, even though both are sort of off screen.

MFauli
Thu, 10-11-2018, 03:52 PM
I think Mfauli's main issue is why the rape is being received with more hate/disgust than the brutal killing, even though both are sort of off screen.

Yes. And even then, Murder/killng IS often show in full detail, whereas that scene in GS is as much as we'll ever see of rape in anime.

Btw 'hacked in great detail' meant that GS showed how the goblins were all over the sword guy, repeatedly stabbing him while showing his face. He was still alive during all that and screaming in agony. The sorceress was stabbed in detail, too.

But boohoo rape. :/

KrayZ33
Fri, 10-12-2018, 12:15 AM
I don't know who was complaining about "hard-censored offscreen" killing/rape, but I doubt you should take them seriously.

It certainly is the right decision however to "imply/offscreen" it, as both would be extremely disturbing imho and won't add a whole lot to the shock factor.

In fact, leaving things up for imagination might be "worse" and won't end up in it being cringy/trash.

neflight86
Fri, 10-12-2018, 01:33 AM
6 days after broadcast and three pages. Just had to watch to make sure I wasn't missing out (or get spoiled), and I walk into... a two and a half page rape-in-media debate? At least thats something to talk about...

I'll throw my hat in the 'a bit too edgy' corner. I wasn't too keen on how unsubtle the show was being about the party's unpreparedness/naiveté. This is gonna end bad; that much was spoiled by the intro scene, must I be beat over the head about it? At least it was only the first portion of the episode. Didn't care much for the blaring music during the death fest, but things got better after the titular slayer arrived. I actually liked the character, and enjoyed the systematic completion of the mission. Not much happened, but I hope the 'grittiness' has been set sufficiently so the show won't have to work so hard to sell me despair in future episodes.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-12-2018, 03:09 AM

But is it?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-12-2018, 08:20 AM
From the stuff I read online about episode 1, yes.

A lot of SJWs say the rape scene glorifies rape culture. You can check goblinslayer twitter to see the reactions to such reactions, which are pretty funny.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-12-2018, 09:14 AM
From the stuff I read online about episode 1, yes.

A lot of SJWs say the rape scene glorifies rape culture. You can check goblinslayer twitter to see the reactions to such reactions, which are pretty funny.

Wow.. that's hilarious.

One of my favourites would have to be this one:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DpG02iMW4AA1w64.jpg:large

I'll have to get someone to explain to me how this (the anime scene, not the picture) could glorify rape culture.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-12-2018, 09:36 AM
The very presence of rape is apparently glorifying rape culture to them. It doesn't matter that Goblin Slayer is literally slaying rapists left and right.

KrayZ33
Fri, 10-12-2018, 10:20 AM
It's so bad, it's not even funny anymore....

SJWs / radical egalitarianists should seriously start to shut up right about now or we'll have death squads moving around at some point in time.

I think the worst thing about this is how hypocritical this is and how vocal the very few with these viewpoints are, yet companies/producers etc. start to listen to them.

MFauli
Fri, 10-12-2018, 01:06 PM
It's so bad, it's not even funny anymore....

SJWs / radical egalitarianists should seriously start to shut up right about now or we'll have death squads moving around at some point in time.

I think the worst thing about this is how hypocritical this is and how vocal the very few with these viewpoints are, yet companies/producers etc. start to listen to them.

Heavily agreeing to everything. 👍

Btw I'd like to know what 'glorifying rape' would actually be. Even if a show depicted rape as something good from the perpetrator's perspective, that would make a lot sense in that context.

I guess glorifying rape would be to show it in a way that's supposed to arouse the watcher - which hundreds of h-anime and thousands of h-doujin do, lol. And yes that's hot. It's also fictional. But I don't see 'glorifying rape' ever being an issue in a serious anime. Te issue is that these loudmouth outragers define ANY rapd at all as gross and glorifying. At which point I'll return to my previous argument: STFU, you're fine with killing, then you gotta be fine with rape, too. :]

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-12-2018, 01:12 PM
An example of glorifying rape would be revenge raping an evil person, or maybe simply creating a world where rape is okay and no one is supposed to mind. Alternatively, it might be a story that paints rapists in a good/better light than what is fair.

MFauli
Sat, 10-13-2018, 04:32 AM
An example of glorifying rape would be revenge raping an evil person, or maybe simply creating a world where rape is okay and no one is supposed to mind. Alternatively, it might be a story that paints rapists in a good/better light than what is fair.

But ... all of that sounds ... interesting?!

1.) I've often thought during the Naruto-days that male shinobi would realistically have some fun with kunoichi they defeated. Ofc It's a shounen-serires, but if it wasn't .... Also, in general rape seems like a good way to punish someone. I mean, 'prison rape' is a well-known term.

2.) A world where rape is okay - rather, it'd be a world where anyone can fuck anyone and there is no discrimination based on personal preferences. That could work both ways: a) depict it as a utopia where sex doesn't matter anymore or b) show it as dystopia where the hero slowly realizes that rape is wrong and he starts rescuimg girls from rape, joining a resistance group lead by strong women where he's the one to face discrimination ('he's one of those pigs!') and works to earn their trust as they all fight the system - and he experiences non-rape sex for the first time as a romance subplot. Gimme! :D

3.) This is something I long wanted. Frankly, It's dumb that a rapist can never be a good person otherwise. Take your favorite hero and imagine he raped a girl in the past. But he still saved the world or whatever. Still no good? I'd love a story about a convicted rapist (someone who spent his time in prison) being the hero in a save-the-world story, and watch how his group members react once they hear his story. I'm generally of the opinion, though, that when you have received your legal punishment, you deserve to live a normal life (aside of personal guilt feelings). Sex offender list and such as in the USA is inhumane witch hunt bs.

Anyway, I don't think any of these examples really glorifies rape, shinta. Glorifying, again, probably refers more to arousing the audience, by making the occurring rape look sexy/hot.

KrayZ33
Sat, 10-13-2018, 05:17 AM
Anyway, I don't think any of these examples really glorifies rape, shinta. Glorifying, again, probably refers more to arousing the audience, by making the occurring rape look sexy/hot.

which is exactly what you want though.
You said it yourself and the sheer amount of "male raping females" (and never the other way around, or even male on male) talk you do give SJWs all the justification they need.

Your 2nd point almost tells me that you don't even know what rape is tbh...

This discussion is shit, lets end it.

MFauli
Sat, 10-13-2018, 05:29 AM
You said it yourself and the sheer amount of "male raping females" (and never the other way around, or even male on male) talk you do give SJWs all the justification they need.

Your 2nd point almost tells me that you don't even know what rape is tbh...

This discussion is shit, lets end it.

I assumed we'd all know that most rape happens male to female. Didn't feel like wasting words on the obvious: yes, rape exists male to male and female to female and female to male, too. *sigh*

It's a good discussion, so why kill it? If you think my 2nd example doesn't properly portray what rape is, that's on you.

KrayZ33
Sat, 10-13-2018, 07:00 AM
Not really on me when you say rape can exist in an utopia. That's the definition of glorifying rape

The reason why I mentioned it that you don't talk about the other forms of rape is because you are obviously turned on by it, as seen in your post about the fact that you'd prefer it if the female being raped is hot.

So discussing this context in a serious manner with you is out of the question.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-13-2018, 07:02 AM

Can you clarify this bit? Does this mean:

1) This is what MFauli wants, or
2) This is the aim of the media producer?

Post #56 seemed to go off to talk about the types of rape-involving stories that MFauli wants to see.

------

edit: Keep discussing. I'll leave posts here if they relate back to Goblin Slayer. I'll be splitting posts into a new thread when we start having an extended discussion about rape in general media.

MFauli
Sat, 10-13-2018, 08:05 AM
Not really on me when you say rape can exist in an utopia. That's the definition of glorifying rape

The reason why I mentioned it that you don't talk about the other forms of rape is because you are obviously turned on by it, as seen in your post about the fact that you'd prefer it if the female being raped is hot.

So discussing this context in a serious manner with you is out of the question.

I can enjoy fictional 'anime-rape' and still talk about serious rape as part of a serious story. If you want to make this about me, I'd tell you that rape-fantasies are the absolute #1 on any hentai-website, meaning it's neither rare nor fringe to enjoy that type of scenes. Ofc we live in a society that is still very puritan in terms of sex, so most people wouldn't publically admit to liking these doujins - since I want to live in a world where creatice freedom reigns supreme, however, I do.

But again, now we're talking about h-content meant to arouse. Any debate about rape in GS or other serious anime has completely different connotations. It's not there to arouse. Ofc, due to the character design and the shown face during the rape, GS's rape walks a thin line. Really, you could argue either way. My stance: actual rape victims experience orgasm, too, so it's fair to show a moaning face in GS. But since rape is such a rare occurrence in fictional media, it's unfortunate that the one time we get rape (which we should have more of, in relation to all the killing) it's kind of sexy in how it's presented.

Edit: Wow, you guys really keep giving me these new page-top-postings xD

KrayZ33
Sat, 10-13-2018, 08:14 AM
It's not about freaking representation in numbers..

oh my god, I believe we should have more people eating bread in anime, because that happens far more often than people dying.

The rape scene in GS was there because it added another level of cruelity. It has been used as a plot device to get the viewer ready to *hate* goblins and to understand MCs motivation.

Again, name a reason what rape has to do with shounen or even most plot lines we see in anime that would justify the use more often.
Aside from the fact that sexual assault is already pretty common in anime, there is hardly a reason to go as far as rape, let alone to animate it.
Not to mention the target audience doesn't need/want it and all kinds of moral question pop up since this would certainly not be used in such a way as it is currently in GS.

It's bad enough that assault is already used as "fan-service" in many shows

MFauli
Sat, 10-13-2018, 08:24 AM
It's not about a fucking representation numbers..

oh my god, I believe we should have more people eating bread in anime, because that happens far more often than people dying.

The rape scene in GS was there because it added another level of cruelity. It has been used as a plot device to get the viewer ready to *hate* goblins and to understand MCs motivation.

Again, name a reason what rape has to do with shounen or even most plot lines we see in anime.
Aside from the fact that sexual assault is already pretty common in anime, there is hardly a reason to go as far as rape, let alone to animate it.

Bread isn't a controversial theme (outside of Yakitate Japan!). Violence and crime are core themes of thousands of games and anime, yet somehow even the worst criminals seem to have signed a contract saying 'We wot rape, only murder'. :/

KrayZ33
Sat, 10-13-2018, 08:49 AM
Which is how you think it is portrayed in anime, but actually isn't

And it's also not "unrealistic" or whatever you want to call it, because not every murderer is interested in raping (sexxing) his/her victims.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Take note that crunchy has a lot of sexual and violent anime, but this is a first. Akame ga Kill comes to mind. Attack on Titan is also there, where people get eaten alive my monsters.

And of course there is Berserk.

MFauli
Sat, 10-13-2018, 10:15 AM
That's so ridiculous.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Episode 2. (http://magnet:?xt=urn:btih:2E4ZTB3OBCSNICR3LLAR4RR5JXNVNZ RT&tr=http://nyaa.tracker.wf:7777/announce&tr=udp://tracker.coppersurfer.tk:6969/announce&tr=udp://tracker.internetwarriors.net:1337/announce&tr=udp://tracker.leechersparadise.org:6969/announce&tr=udp://tracker.opentrackr.org:1337/announce&tr=udp://open.stealth.si:80/announce&tr=udp://p4p.arenabg.com:1337/announce&tr=udp://mgtracker.org:6969/announce&tr=udp://tracker.tiny-vps.com:6969/announce&tr=udp://peerfect.org:6969/announce&tr=http://share.camoe.cn:8080/announce&tr=http://t.nyaatracker.com:80/announce&tr=https://open.kickasstracker.com:443/announce)

KrayZ33
Sat, 10-13-2018, 12:35 PM
Another awesome episode.

The bard scene was a really, really nice touch.

And I loved that goblin that threw a rock on Goblin Slayr-

GS was like: *dong* "hugh..... go fuck yourself" *shoots arrow*

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 10-13-2018, 04:57 PM
Well it's easy to see why she is called Cowgirl.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-13-2018, 05:22 PM
Was she ever called that in the episode?

And I loved that goblin that threw a rock on Goblin Slayr-

GS was like: *dong* "hugh..... go fuck yourself" *shoots arrow* "7."

Fixed that for you.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-13-2018, 07:01 PM
Besides Cowgirl's knockers, I'm impressed with that impeccable customer service.

Nothing phases the receptionist. Not even goblins.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 10-13-2018, 08:01 PM
She was named Cowgirl in the trailer where they shown all characters I believe.

MFauli
Sat, 10-13-2018, 08:29 PM
Um, I guess I'm the only one who found this episode terrible then?

The tone deafness between murder and rape on one side, and happy-go-lucky adventurerers was insulting my intelligence. WtF?! Everybody knows what goblins do, yet everyone was happy when talking about them. The quest giver-bitch especially irks me, repeatedly sending newbies on dangerous quests - even in games I have to go collect mushrooms before fighting my first jaggie.

Speaking of games: is or isn't this a vrmmorpg isekai-anime?! The quest board scene was TERRIBLE. "I neef a dragon, is there one with a dragon?!" :/ Look, random adventurerer, what are you gonna do when you meet a dragon? Considering how realistically this anime treats goblins, a giant lizard with impenetrable scales, sharp teeth and claws, fire breath and a whipping tail is a murder machine par excellence. Unless you're an experienced silver-rank group, I don't believe you can handle a dragon. BUT YOU'RE SO ENTHUSIASTIC, SO OFF YOU GO, CHAP! HAVE FUN! Yeah, have fun dying, right, quest giver-bitch? 🐧🙋

It's hard to stomach. I enjoyed the scenes where GS rought goblins. Seeing other people look down on him was interesting, too. But the rest ... ugh. And then we absolutely needed cow udders-girl, huh? Oh man ...

I'm afraid this anime might be a dudd. Expected more than non-sensical shit.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-13-2018, 08:32 PM
Off you go then.

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-14-2018, 02:16 AM
What is MFauli even talking about.

Quest giver girl is awesome, hoping for a romantic relationship with GS right there. Seems very likely too considering how she's happy whenever GS shows up and seems to think highly of him since he doesn't do the quest for payment, but for slaying goblins.

At least one sided affection seems within the realm of possibility.

MFauli
Sun, 10-14-2018, 03:48 AM
What is MFauli even talking about.

Quest giver girl is awesome, hoping for a romantic relationship with GS right there. Seems very likely too considering how she's happy whenever GS shows up and seems to think highly of him since he doesn't do the quest for payment, but for slaying goblins.

At least one sided affection seems within the realm of possibility.

You're one of those who thinks a girl loves you when she's nice to you, huh?

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-14-2018, 03:53 AM
She was named Cowgirl in the trailer where they shown all characters I believe.

The character pages name her as Ushikai Musume. She's literally, the cattleman's daughter. Like Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, none of the characters have real names, just referred to as their title.

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-14-2018, 04:08 AM
You're one of those who thinks a girl loves you when she's nice to you, huh?

No, but I know I'm watching anime, you do not, huh?

That aside, when someone is genuinely happy about you walking into the room, there might be the possibility that this person likes you a whole lot.

Or do you need to see red cheeks to tell someone's thoughts and feelings?

MFauli
Sun, 10-14-2018, 07:19 AM

Or do you need to see red cheeks to tell someone's thoughts and feelings?

That + a little tsundere behavior.

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-14-2018, 07:42 AM
Well, that's fair I guess.

Kraco
Tue, 10-16-2018, 12:00 PM
Why did they need to give Cowgirl the same VA that voices Index? Now that Index III again launched, I hate that bloody voice because I hate the cursed Index. Damn.

Goblin Slayer could afford to be still more expressionless or single-minded in the anime. I hope the next episodes try their best.

The tone deafness between murder and rape on one side, and happy-go-lucky adventurerers was insulting my intelligence. WtF?! Everybody knows what goblins do, yet everyone was happy when talking about them. The quest giver-bitch especially irks me, repeatedly sending newbies on dangerous quests - even in games I have to go collect mushrooms before fighting my first jaggie.

It's the adventurers' business, so obviously they are happy if there are quests. They aren't any goody two-shoes in this series. They want the most interesting and profitable quests, period. Goblin Slayer is the exception due to his history and insanity. He's not interested in fame and money, like 99% of adventurers, but a goblin genocide, nothing else.

The Receptionist Girl is a part of that business, nothing more. She goes out of her way to try to persuade n00bs from accepting goblin quests, but since they are mainly classified as porcelain quests and n00bs are porcelain, she can't outright reject them. But she most certainly isn't sending them off to clean goblin nests. She doesn't have that kind of authority. She feels pity for all the poor villagers who can't afford to hire higher level adventurers. That makes her like Goblin Slayer so much, as he's the only high level adventurer going out of their way to help the villages against goblins, no matter how low the pay.

KrayZ33
Tue, 10-16-2018, 01:32 PM
Goblin Slayer could afford to be still more expressionless or single-minded in the anime. I hope the next episodes try their best.

pretty certain that goblin slayer so far has not shown a single emotion yet.
So it's not possible to be even more expressionless.

MFauli
Tue, 10-16-2018, 01:50 PM
Why did they need to give Cowgirl the same VA that voices Index? Now that Index III again launched, I hate that bloody voice because I hate the cursed Index. Damn.

It's the adventurers' business, so obviously they are happy if there are quests. They aren't any goody two-shoes in this series. They want the most interesting and profitable quests, period. Goblin Slayer is the exception due to his history and insanity. He's not interested in fame and money, like 99% of adventurers, but a goblin genocide, nothing else.

The Receptionist Girl is a part of that business, nothing more. She goes out of her way to try to persuade n00bs from accepting goblin quests, but since they are mainly classified as porcelain quests and n00bs are porcelain, she can't outright reject them. But she most certainly isn't sending them off to clean goblin nests. She doesn't have that kind of authority. She feels pity for all the poor villagers who can't afford to hire higher level adventurers. That makes her like Goblin Slayer so much, as he's the only high level adventurer going out of their way to help the villages against goblins, no matter how low the pay.

So ... some mysterious leadership forces the quest-bitch to send adventurers off to death. Meanwhile, adventurers are al suiciders, happy to burn away against a dragon. Rh?

shinta|hikari
Tue, 10-16-2018, 01:56 PM
Didn't that dragon hunter wannabe get told off by the guy beside him saying it's impossible to hunt a dragon? Not all of them are suicidal.

KrayZ33
Tue, 10-16-2018, 02:17 PM
So ... some mysterious leadership forces the quest-bitch to send adventurers off to death. Meanwhile, adventurers are al suiciders, happy to burn away against a dragon. Rh?

what?
They are adventurers, the quests is for newbie adventurers.
So who exactly is sending whom to death?

They apply for the job and they fit the criteria

The guys didn't die but make it out alive, quest completed.
What are they supposed to do if they are never allowed to fight monsters, clean the sewers forever and never get experience in fighting monsters?

The adventurers in the first episode were trained and one of them was even a mage that, according to them, graduated from a renown mage school/guild.
At one point in time, they have to fight monsters.

The "mysterious leadership" doesn't exist (though you keep talking like guild-girl is the mysterious leader that forces everyone), she's not forcing anyone to do anything. She isn't their boss or anything similiar, she can't demand shit, she doesn't even ask them to go do these quests.

MFauli
Tue, 10-16-2018, 02:34 PM

The "mysterious leadership" doesn't exist (though you keep talking like guild-girl is the mysterious leader that forces everyone), she's not forcing anyone to do anything. She isn't their boss or anything similiar, she can't demand shit, she doesn't even ask them to go do these quests.

No, you claimed that quest-bitch can't tell adventurers to not do something and can't te them.why, because 'she doesn't have the authority', implying that some higher entity forbids her from doing so.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 10-16-2018, 03:13 PM
BTW, cleaning sewers isn't janitorial work. It's pest extermination (i.e. killing giant mice).

Kraco
Tue, 10-16-2018, 03:41 PM
No, you claimed that quest-bitch can't tell adventurers to not do something and can't te them.why, because 'she doesn't have the authority', implying that some higher entity forbids her from doing so.

As far as I understand, her only authority is to prevent an adventurer from undertaking a quest if the adventurer is of a lower level than the original quest request is stating. So, if someone rich offers lots of gold for some troll eyes and tells only silver or above need to bother, then the receptionist would tell newbies to look elsewhere for more appropriate quests. But if destitute villagers collect a few coins from among themselves to hire adventurers to get rid of goblins, it's probably going to be a quest of the lowest level, available for anyone, even though the real level of difficulty might, in fact, be a bit higher than expected. They just don't have the luxury to offer enough to hire experienced asskickers.

However, I'm not certain even this is true. But it would make sense considering the adventurers do indeed have the official ranks. So, obviously someone can request people of a certain rank (which would be quite essential if an escort/guard is needed or if the government wants people of certain power). It's just an eternal problem of who can pay.

KrayZ33
Tue, 10-16-2018, 04:41 PM

Her job is to give out quests.
So yeah, there certainly is a higher authority that tells her to do her job?!

And again, it's a low level quest. As stated by pretty much every adventure in the series so far.
Goblins are weak compared to what is running around there. That's why GS is seen as not deserving a Silver Rank by these 2 knightly geared characters that were shown.

And again², the 3 noobs that went to the river-town, finished their quest and succeeded. Further proving everyones point.
The adventurers in the beginning of the series even managed to kill ~7 of them singlehandedly. They only underestimated them and did a poor job working together.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 10-16-2018, 05:22 PM
I mean the fucking leader left the 2 most vulnerable members of the party behind lol. And he had the torch haha.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-17-2018, 02:36 AM
Have you ever tried to take out a loan or talk to an accountant MFauli?

Because if you have, and if you tried to ask them about whether or not you should make a certain financial decision, they'll tell you that you need a financial adviser if you want advice.

Same shit here. Guild Girl is a broker. She doesn't assess the party's strength, analyse their finances nor tell them whether or not they should take a quest, or do anything else with their life.

MFauli
Wed, 10-17-2018, 04:19 AM
Nothing I can legally do here in Germany would end up with me being raped/killed. That's the difference :/

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-17-2018, 04:32 AM
Nothing I can legally do here in Germany would end up with me being raped/killed. That's the difference :/

Hooking up with a gangster boss's girl behind his back would get you raped then killed.

Not the middle man's job to tell you otherwise.

Not vaccinating before going to a 3rd world country could get you killed.
Not the travel agency's problem to make sure your health is up to scratch.

MFauli
Wed, 10-17-2018, 06:27 AM
Hooking up with a gangster boss's girl behind his back would get you raped then killed.

Not the middle man's job to tell you otherwise.

Not vaccinating before going to a 3rd world country could get you killed.
Not the travel agency's problem to make sure your health is up to scratch.

Knowingly involving myself with a gangster boss would be illegal. Any travel agency in Germany would heavily advise you to get vaccinated - or even before that your doctor would.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Wait, how would having an affair with a gangster boss's girl be illegal? What the heck kind of law is that?

Also, the guild girl isn't the government.

MFauli
Wed, 10-17-2018, 10:16 AM
Wait, how would having an affair with a gangster boss's girl be illegal? What the heck kind of law is that?

Also, the guild girl isn't the government.

If you KNEW someone's a gangster and don't tell the police? You'd be a complice.

And yeah, she's just a bitch who keeps quiet. "Not obligated", fuck me.

KrayZ33
Wed, 10-17-2018, 12:27 PM
Grasping at straws.

Any travel agency in Germany would heavily advise you to get vaccinated - or even before that your doctor would.

Just like Guild Girl then.
Comparing medieval-ish times on the frontier where monsters live with the security you have nowadays and in our world is extremely silly too.

Why do you think adventurers even exist in GS.

MFauli
Wed, 10-17-2018, 02:58 PM

Why do you think adventurers even exist in GS.

To die, because clearly they're all suicidal.

KrayZ33
Wed, 10-17-2018, 04:06 PM
trollolo

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Stop feeding.

MFauli
Wed, 10-17-2018, 05:23 PM
Stop feeding.

I'll try.

neflight86
Sat, 10-20-2018, 12:10 AM
Just hit episode 2. Glad it seems more to my liking now, with characters deliberately describing the goblin slayer as mentally broken and the back story explaining it; his actions seem more reasonable now. I'm going to attempt to coin the term "shoku-ichi" to describe my journey so far: It's a portmanteau of "Shokugeki no Souma" and "one" in Japanese. It refers to the practice of a first episode to, in a bid to shock and entice viewers (leaving an impression), focus on an... unfortunate facet of the style of the show (despair/gore porn here) that is not featured as much in the following episodes. the "edgy" horror shock is over now and we can focus on the actual story... whatever that is going to be. The point is, I loved Shokugeki after the first episode made my eyes roll straight out of my head, and I hope that will be the case here.

As for the adventurers scenes, it might be more accurate to describe them as mercenaries, and to hire oneself out for life and death combat requires a mental fortitude (or defect) that not everyone possesses, but the adventurers here all do. The receptionist also has a moral out in that what happened to main girl's squad isn't guaranteed. The end of episode montage showed that the porcelain crew she was worried about completed their mission safely. It is entirely possible that her party's dissection was an extreme example of unpreparedness. Occupational hazards aren't an occupational death warrant. Electricians are encouraged and trained in safety best practices, but at the end of the day, it is up to each individual to follow them and only complete work they have the skill to do safely. The only arbiter of that standard is 20 amps and an awkward phone call.

Kraco
Sat, 10-20-2018, 01:56 PM
Episode 3

- - - - --

I don't think I'll ever get bored of the jokes the series makes out of Goblin Slayer's autistic nature.

It's a pretty great and funny party we have in this story. Perhaps it's the only kind of party where Goblin Slayer wouldn't be out of place. Sure, he could work in any goblin eradication squad made of humans, but it's hard to see how he could really belong to it or be viewed as a real party member by the others. However, this one is so heterogeneous that he doesn't particularly stick out.

KrayZ33
Sat, 10-20-2018, 02:45 PM
This is interesting, seeing how his party is clearly capable too, judging from what the Elf did.

This nest has wolves, I wonder how big it is this time.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-20-2018, 06:30 PM
Hahaha, boy that arrow managed to get carried in the wind then turn 90 degrees, but picked up enough momentum to blow off a goblin head before eyeballing the next.

That's some physics-defying shit right there.

MFauli
Sat, 10-20-2018, 09:13 PM
I'm now convinced this is an isekai story, but they're kinda hiding it for a later twist. The dice rolling in the beginning was too ominous.

Episode itself was rather meh, too slow, too littme action. Looking forward to next week. Also elf rape pls 🐧

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-21-2018, 12:13 AM
It was actually pretty funny hearing about the gods of fate and coincidence playing dice.

David75
Sun, 10-21-2018, 12:31 AM
Hahaha, boy that arrow managed to get carried in the wind then turn 90 degrees, but picked up enough momentum to blow off a goblin head before eyeballing the next.

That's some physics-defying shit right there.
Magic infused arrow ?

It was actually pretty funny hearing about the gods of fate and coincidence playing dice.
I was amused too;)

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-21-2018, 02:39 AM
The whole story about the gods had such a great Pen&Paper feel to it too.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 10-21-2018, 03:30 PM
The 'evil' nature of it all seems very Pen&Paper too. I mean tragic backstories and all that. Rape as well. So basically this is a very dark themed D&D story with a guy who has all Nat20 rolls.

Ryllharu
Tue, 10-23-2018, 07:14 PM
He just passes all his stat checks when he's pulling off a feat. No need for Nat20s.

Kraco
Sat, 10-27-2018, 12:12 PM
Episode 4

- - - - - -

Elf ranger isn't exactly on the same wavelength with Goblin slayer. I guess Priestess isn't either, but she has acquired the valuable skill of being able to ignore reality.

As crafty use of a portal spell as one can imagine. Very polite as well to tell the dying, arrogant ogre that even goblins are more trouble than he was.

KrayZ33
Sat, 10-27-2018, 12:52 PM
I love how this, unlike pretty much *every* other anime, truely has an Fantasy-RPG feel to it.

The ranger scouts, looks for traps, sneaks around, is in front of the group, skulks around, the group is in need of preparations and suffers damage easily when they are getting hit. They require certain build up, they have very unique abilities that aren't ridiciously strong, they use every tool they have.

This is by far the best version of fantasy-rpg in anime I've seen. And I'm not talking about the story here (which I like so far too).

MFauli
Sat, 10-27-2018, 05:17 PM
Nice episode, good to see GS fight a non-goblin. I just wonder how many scrolls he's got, because it didn't seem as if he could have killed the ogre with his own skills.

I love how this, unlike pretty much *every* other anime, truely has an Fantasy-RPG feel to it.

The ranger scouts, looks for traps, sneaks around, is in front of the group, skulks around, the group is in need of preparations and suffers damage easily when they are getting hit. They require certain build up, they have very unique abilities that aren't ridiciously strong, they use every tool they have.

This is by far the best version of fantasy-rpg in anime I've seen. And I'm not talking about the story here (which I like so far too).

That's exactly why I don't like GS that much so far: it feels like a game, very artificial. When I think of great fantasy-anime, I think of Record of Lodoss War. GS is incredibly far from that.

But this episode strengthened my belief that it's an undercover isekai anime. The whole 'the gods became bored of dice games and created many worlds' - yeah, that's what game developers do. Combined with the happy-go-lucky attitude despite all the murder and rape, it'd make a lot sense. And FUCK elf girl. So a REAL adventure isn't so depressing and scary? Guess what: THAT'S WHY ADVENTURES AREN'T REAL! An adventure by definition is the positive outcome of an involuntary dangerous sutuation. That's why you can't go on an adventure, because it either happens or does not. That's why people going on vacation and then telling everyone at home what an adventure their trip to some tourist region was, is cringey bs. And you, elf girl, are talking about 'happy adventure going'?! Yeah, this is either an isekai OR elf girl is a psychopath.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-27-2018, 06:46 PM
KrayZ33 did say "fantasy-RPG." I felt the same thing before reading it again and realizing what he was actually saying.

There are more classic "fantasy series" out there. But in this, they openly approach it as a tabletop RPG, and it feels very classic D&D. With the great kind of DM where you run the risk of losing a character in your party every single night, but just barely survive to limp your way back to base at the end of the session.

All too many anime series that act like RPGs (the ones that take themselves seriously), end up being more like MMOs or Phantasy Star, or some other video game. Goblin Slayer is very clearly tabletop.

The elf's line is phenomenal. Adventures are for children. But now she wants to take Goblin Slayer on less dangerous, exploration-type quest. The type of travelling that she's been used to. The type that the priestess and her group thought they were going on. It's a nice thought, in the same vein as the cattleman's daughter wanting to see Goblin Slayer come home to rest at the end of each day, like he's just going out to till the fields or something.

The priestess learned it. She's willing to risk her life every day to protect others.

The elf and cattleman's daughter still kind of need to learn the difference, but I think the daughter understands why he does what he does at least.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-27-2018, 07:44 PM
OR elf girl is a psychopath.

She is not a psychopath. Really.

MFauli
Sat, 10-27-2018, 08:07 PM
KrayZ33 did say "fantasy-RPG." I felt the same thing before reading it again and realizing what he was actually saying.

There are more classic "fantasy series" out there. But in this, they openly approach it as a tabletop RPG, and it feels very classic D&D. With the great kind of DM where you run the risk of losing a character in your party every single night, but just barely survive to limp your way back to base at the end of the session.

All too many anime series that act like RPGs (the ones that take themselves seriously), end up being more like MMOs or Phantasy Star, or some other video game. Goblin Slayer is very clearly tabletop.

The elf's line is phenomenal. Adventures are for children. But now she wants to take Goblin Slayer on less dangerous, exploration-type quest. The type of travelling that she's been used to. The type that the priestess and her group thought they were going on. It's a nice thought, in the same vein as the cattleman's daughter wanting to see Goblin Slayer come home to rest at the end of each day, like he's just going out to till the fields or something.

The priestess learned it. She's willing to risk her life every day to protect others.

The elf and cattleman's daughter still kind of need to learn the difference, but I think the daughter understands why he does what he does at least.

Yeah, if we're calling GS literally a TT-RPG in anime-form, no disagreement from me.

Your sentences about elf girl make no sense, though. Or rather, the anime made no sense: these are silver-rank adventurers, right? They reaaaaally didn't give that impression. Slightly better than porcelain, mainly because of one special ability, but otherwise? They'd be dead without GS. They'd have missed the raped elf girl. Heck, they probably would have messed up fighting the then sleeping goblins.
Really un-impressive display of silver-ranks.

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-28-2018, 02:48 AM
Hm, I don't know - they seemed to be superior to GS in terms of combat abilities, especially the elf and lizard shaman.

They were inferior to GS in knowledge about slaying goblins - which I find to be a good thing.

You could actually tell that each of them has their own expertise.

The Elf did a very good job in killing goblins from afar and managed to get the group to the big hall in silence.
The dwarf, a race that's living underground (in most RPGs), was able to navigate in these ruins and wouldn't have needed a map.
Goblin slayer is good at killing goblins.
Lizardman didn't really do anything "special", though his race and class, so I'd assume, don't really have any benefit in that enviroment. Though his use of summons was also very interesting. The best part about him was that he isn't reliant on a summon to do anything - he fights on his own and uses the summon as a support.

Maybe I'm somewhat biased because I'm playing "Das Schwarze Auge" (The Dark Eye), but so many things in this anime make sense.
No godly skilled character, everyone can die in mere seconds, every monster is a challenge and has to be approached correctly (even goblins, just like in the Tabletop, these beast are nasty and my group avoids fighting them whenever possible! They throw sand at you, poison you, bite and wound you and you never know how many of them are around hiding in bushes! I'd rather fight ogres!).
Magic is extremely limited and they use their abilities "freely" in a way that makes sense.
I don't know how to explain the last point properly... It's just that you think:

"Oh if I had tracking.. I could start a tracking roll here - who in our party has tracking 10+?"

And the guys who don't have tracking start to rely on the person/character who has and the "group leader" changes from GS to Elf (for example).

I certainly don't get the same feeling in other animes about games in an RPG setting.
Especially the MMO-types. They are always far away from what a real game plays like.
Log-Horizon for example started ~somewhat~ properly, and 3 episode later and especially during the raids at the end it became obvious that the author never did a raid in a computer game.

Kraco
Sun, 10-28-2018, 03:02 AM
Really un-impressive display of silver-ranks.

It seems to me the higher ranks in the GS universe aren't any one man armies. They have merely survived and completed a number of quests. We already know most adventurers try to avoid goblin quests when they have a choice. The pay is poor, there's little fame and loot, and it can be more dangerous than the classification indicates. A goblin quest could be just half a dozen goblin grunts in a simple hole, or it could be 30 goblins with spell casting shamans and bigger goblin mofo guards in a complex, dangerous cave. It's not worth to risk your life for when the pay is a few coins. Thus, most adventurers wouldn't actually have lots of experience with goblins, even if they are silver or whatnot.

The Elf ranger obviously earned her silver ranking by encountering goblins very rarely. In fact she must have had quite a pleasant life as an adventurer. Perhaps she dutifully placed a point in her luck skill every level up, all her life. Like you said, she's surprisingly unused to the darker side of the world for being an experienced adventurer. She's not useless, though, with those super archery skills and such, so she most certainly didn't buy her silver rank.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 10-28-2018, 04:33 AM
Yeah if you approach and analyze it with a TT-RPG in mind it's all so much better. The God's are the players. Sometimes the Adventurer's win sometimes they don't. I mean GM's can do a TPK without meaning too. Those newbies just had bad rolls and bad prep. The Dwarf basically has Stonecunning Racial Trait ( am doing Pathfinder here not sure if it's also in D&D ).

So yeah that's pretty fun to do with you have that in mind.

neflight86
Sun, 10-28-2018, 11:32 PM
I also enjoyed the episode and fight, but one thing that bothered me a bit was the scroll... Surely Goblin Slayer isn't/wasn't the first and only person to ever come up with that idea for a bottom of the sea water-laser? Given its effectiveness and lack of drawbacks, I figure most adventurers might each carry their own little WMD scroll for rainy days/encounters. I hope it is revealed that the actual creation of such a scroll is somehow prohibitive, or the lack of creativity on the general pool of adventurers' part I would classify as a weakness of world building.

Still though, that was a small nit-pick in an otherwise entertaining episode.

KrayZ33
Mon, 10-29-2018, 12:15 AM
As mentioned, the scroll is normally used as an escape tool, not as a weapon.

So I doubt many adventurers waste their "get out alive"-teleport as a "one time use"-weapon.

David75
Mon, 10-29-2018, 12:39 AM
I might be wrong but I think I remember these scrolls are hard to find and are remains of past civilisation. Some people can decipher them, but no one can make them anymore.
GS found only 2 in all his years of goblin slay, when he visited lots of ancient ruins.
As other adventurers do not mess with goblins, it's possible they do not visit ruins and have even less chance to find scrolls.
These scrolls are extremely rare and their price is high for that reason.

GS had a pretty clever idea, for at least 2 reasons :
He wanted to kill that boss, probably because it was too goblin friendly.
The scroll probably can't teleport more than one person.

Kraco
Mon, 10-29-2018, 03:22 AM
GS had a pretty clever idea, for at least 2 reasons :
He wanted to kill that boss, probably because it was too goblin friendly.
The scroll probably can't teleport more than one person.

Let's make it just a single reason:
They would all be dead if he didn't kill the ogre with the scroll.

It's actually quite funny this scroll was a better weapon against a single extremely powerful opponent than multiple weaker ones. Multiple weaker ones obviously is Goblin Slayer's usual opponent selection. However, it was a last resort tool in any case, so in that sense it doesn't much matter if it's the best choice against goblins or not.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-29-2018, 08:37 AM
It wasn't a last resort tool. He clearly said he wanted to use it to kill a nest. A big one, probably, but it'd still be a planned goblin extermination. He was dissatisfied because he was forced to use it against a measly ogre liked by some demon lord.

Kraco
Mon, 10-29-2018, 09:58 AM
It wasn't a last resort tool. He clearly said he wanted to use it to kill a nest. A big one, probably, but it'd still be a planned goblin extermination. He was dissatisfied because he was forced to use it against a measly ogre liked by some demon lord.

Of course it was a last resort tool. Scrolls are scarce and most likely will only become more scarce as the supply runs dry. If nobody makes new ones, every scroll used is one scroll less in the world, permanently. He wouldn't have a stockpile of them, so why would he use one if he didn't need to? It goes without saying he would have used it to destroy a goblin nest or something else goblin related, eventually. Goblins are all he has ever planned to fight if he can help it, so it would be the plan.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-29-2018, 10:14 AM
Pretty sure Goblin Slayer wouldn't consider flooding a giant nest a last resort. That's a safe and efficient way to do things. The last resort would be to invade it with low chance of success or survival. That's kinda the point with GS. He doesn't care about money or rare items as long as he uses it to kill goblins. He would use it if it is effective, not only because he or his party is about to die or something. That's what happened in this episode, and that's why he is dissatisfied with the scroll's use. Even the dying Ogre was shocked by his reasoning.

TLDR: The scroll was never supposed to be used that way (last resort to survive). It was just one his many tools to slay goblins.

KrayZ33
Mon, 10-29-2018, 10:59 AM
Yes, Goblin Slayer used/wanted to use it as a weapon of mass destruction.

Unlike other adventurers, he doesn't care about the cost.
He just cares about goblins and wants to see them dead.

You have to look at it this way:

He doesn't buy health potions, stamina potions or in this case scrolls to "survive", he buys them, so he can kill more goblins. That's his mindset.

Kraco
Mon, 10-29-2018, 11:18 AM
That scroll was never going to flood anything. When he talks about flooding caves/nests, it's performed through some other action, maybe diverting a stream or something. I don't know how much water was transferred by the scroll, but I doubt it was more than a few cubic meters.

So, no.

KrayZ33
Mon, 10-29-2018, 11:23 AM
So, yeah?

TLDR: The scroll was never supposed to be used that way (last resort to survive). It was just one his many tools to slay goblins

I don't see how you disagree here. He didn't intend to use it to slice up some gobbos.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-29-2018, 11:27 AM
@Kraco -

Doesn't matter if it's flooding or whatever. We don't even know how long he can keep the portal open, which can be indefinitely, allowing the flood tactic to work. But that's beside the point.

The point is, he clearly stated what he wanted to use it for...

Kraco
Mon, 10-29-2018, 11:56 AM
Sure, but not by flooding. Because it wouldn't flood a single room. If the nest was a group of goblins in a narrow place, he could slay them all, all at once, by slicing and crushing them. But why would he randomly do it if he had a more a more conservative choice? He had done nothing idiotic so far in the series, so I don't see why he would suddenly do it if he had a choice. He's always thinking multiple steps into the future with how he deals with goblins. That's how he's still alive.

Also, he couldn't have use it in any other way than he did now, seeing how the scroll started to burn away as soon as he used it. So, no, he couldn't have transferred thousands of cubic meters to really flood any place of any significant size.

But fine, I can admit "last resort" might not have been a correct choice of words. Perhaps I should have called it a rare one-shot weapon for a situation where few better ones would be available. But no flooding. No flooding. Period.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-29-2018, 11:58 AM
Haha, okay. No flooding.

MFauli
Mon, 10-29-2018, 01:24 PM
I mean, let's not forget one crucial fact: last resort attack or not, GS would be dead without help from priestess. He couldn't even grab a potion by himself.

That's actually something I don't like about him: he's too suicidal. At that point it stops being impressive when he approaches dangerous monsters, because it's as dumb as the chinese guy who went inside a lion's area and got eaten - well duh.

Hope he opens up a bit and starts, well, 'caring'.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-29-2018, 01:40 PM
How is he suicidal? The ogre was completely unexpected and definitely a very rare thing to find in a goblin nest. Since the ogre was there, he had no choice but to fight it, and he didn't know it regenerates almost instantly. He doesn't have ranged weapons either.

If anything, all his methods are methodical and prioritize safety. Isn't him wearing his armor and helmet all the time because of his obsession with safety from goblin ambushes too?

MFauli
Mon, 10-29-2018, 01:44 PM
How is he suicidal? The ogre was completely unexpected and definitely a very rare thing to find in a goblin nest. Since the ogre was there, he had no choice but to fight it, and he didn't know it regenerates almost instantly. He doesn't have ranged weapons either.

If anything, all his methods are methodical and prioritize safety. Isn't him wearing his armor and helmet all the time because of his obsession with safety from goblin ambushes too?

It's like Kray said: he doesn't buy potions to heal himself - he buys them to keep killing goblins. That's how he's suicidal. Risking everything for no immediate reason.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-29-2018, 02:06 PM
What you mentioned has no logical connection with him being suicidal. Krayz meant his entire life is dedicated to slaying goblins. That doesn't mean he has a desire to die or is careless with his life. He can't slay goblins if he is dead, after all.

What you probably mean is how seemingly cut off from pleasure and hope his life is, and if that's the case, I agree. The way he lives seems... precarious from other people's POV.

Kraco
Mon, 10-29-2018, 02:30 PM
This adventure, with the ogre included, made evident both his strength and his weakness. The former being that he knows everything there is to know about slaying goblins, reasonably speaking. The latter is that he knows little of anything else. You might say he treated the ogre like a giant, spell casting goblin. However, it was not, which led to big trouble.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-29-2018, 02:48 PM
That fireball spell is pretty ridiculous. If used in small spaces, it'd totally annihilate a party with no barrier spells. I bet that ogre would normally require a much larger party to kill, especially because he was supposedly liked by the demon lord.

I really like that detail because ogres are usually treated like dumb giants that swing a club around.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Episode 05

------------------------------

God bless this Guild Girl episode.

Kraco
Sat, 11-03-2018, 02:04 PM
All these people, they have no respect in them. They keep bothering Goblin Slayer with things that have got nothing to do with goblins. The audacity!

It's quite interesting he never went through the giant rat phase. Since goblin quests, with their unknown difficulty, are already open to porcelains, that's all he ever did, right from the very beginning.

I imagine when they held the promotion exam for Priestess, they didn't need to have some silver ranked badass sitting in the room, in case something goes wrong.

KrayZ33
Sat, 11-03-2018, 02:39 PM
This episode, even though it didn't include any goblins, was still fun to watch.

- Me

This episode didn't include goblins, but it had some good news at the end

- Goblin Slayer.

One point I find worth discussing:

I wonder if the Scout decided NOT to attack due to a skill of his. Would've certainly fit his "class".

MFauli
Sat, 11-03-2018, 07:57 PM
I hate her :/

Btw what was that witch girl's purpose? From what we saw, she went full-Megumin. One attack and then she's mere emotional support? I mean ... lol.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-03-2018, 08:03 PM
Btw what was that witch girl's purpose? From what we saw, she went full-Megumin. One attack and then she's mere emotional support? I mean ... lol.

You mean the porcelain priestess? Or the bombshell witch?

For the former, it looked like she just can't deal with bugs. At all.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 11-04-2018, 04:07 AM
Yeah pretty sure it's the classic girls can't handle bugs trope.

As for the scout. I think he didn't attack because of Slayer. I mean despite his reputation he IS a Silver Rank. So the dude just thought that having reflexes fast enough to stop him would be part of that.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-04-2018, 06:07 AM
FYI I'm a girl who can't handle bugs.

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-04-2018, 06:35 AM
I'm a man and I can't handle them either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfKEVpd1eJM

MFauli
Sun, 11-04-2018, 09:06 AM
She still can only use her spell once a day. She's useless.

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-04-2018, 09:18 AM
No one said she can only use her spell once a day as far as I remember but even then, who exactly said that she can/will do nothing else afterwards?

What's stopping her to use her staff as a weapon, other than her fear - which almost stopped her from using the spell too.

So I doubt her usefullness is determined by her spell alone

MFauli
Sun, 11-04-2018, 09:56 AM
That's what I wanna know lol.

And she said it herself, right after killing a rat.

David75
Sun, 11-04-2018, 10:08 AM
Even with luck and because they were against lower species, they still had the right attitudes/choices and survived twice when they are only two.
So among beginners, they are at least remarkable for that.
Doesn't they can't die meaninglessly in a future episode.

Guild Girl did say that beginners dying in their first quest is common, didn't she ?

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Is it even a staff? It looks like a sheathed sword. My guess when watching was that she is a paladin. She just can't fight bugs because she's afraid of them.

MFauli
Sun, 11-04-2018, 03:07 PM
But she couldn't fight rats either

Kraco
Sun, 11-04-2018, 03:48 PM
A fighter and a spellcaster who can cast a single spell in a day. What an adventurer team.

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-04-2018, 04:06 PM
She managed the rats just fine.

MFauli
Sun, 11-04-2018, 09:15 PM
She managed the rats just fine.

One. Singular. Then her daily spell was gone.

KrayZ33
Mon, 11-05-2018, 01:09 AM
She wasn't required for more. She wasn't scared of the rats however.
So your point about her not being able to fight rats stands corrected.

If you are saying she is weak, just like the fighter dude, I'd definitely agree. But that's why they are the lowest rank.

Kraco
Mon, 11-05-2018, 04:25 AM
If you are saying she is weak, just like the fighter dude, I'd definitely agree. But that's why they are the lowest rank.

If the first team the series began with, porcelain as well, had chosen to take rat requests instead of the goblin one, I reckon they would have fared a lot better. They seemed quite a bit stronger than these two, just tragically incompetent against opponents capable of plotting.

MFauli
Mon, 11-05-2018, 06:26 AM
She wasn't required for more. She wasn't scared of the rats however.
So your point about her not being able to fight rats stands corrected.

There's being weak and there's being useless. Being able to attack only once per day is the latter.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 11-05-2018, 08:21 AM
Doesn't that one attack count as a use though? Then she might suck, but not useless. And the number of spells they can use should increase as they gain experience and practice.

Kraco
Mon, 11-05-2018, 09:08 AM
She would be far more reasonable as a team member if the team was bigger. Like two fighters and her would already make a big difference. If she can learn a healing spell, she will instantly become much more valuable.

KrayZ33
Mon, 11-05-2018, 01:58 PM
There's being weak and there's being useless. Being able to attack only once per day is the latter.

ya, but as stated earlier.
That "staff" looks like a weapon... and the dude in their group has ONLY his weapon, nothing else

She's basically the fighter with an extra spell.
She's only lacking in experience/strength so far.

Even if we leave out the brawling, the dude killed 2 rats and half a big bug, the girl killed 1 rat and 7 smaller bugs and half a big bug.

When I face a big monster, I'd rather have her zap it to death in an instant over having to fight it with sword&board. Spells are much more useful - as they should be, that's why they are limited like that in most p&p-games.

Kraco
Mon, 11-05-2018, 05:33 PM
Even if we leave out the brawling, the dude killed 2 rats and half a big bug, the girl killed 1 rat and 7 smaller bugs and half a big bug.

When I face a big monster, I'd rather have her zap it to death in an instant over having to fight it with sword&board. Spells are much more useful - as they should be, that's why they are limited like that in most p&p-games.

The problem is that currently she becomes extra baggage after she attacks just once. She can't even protect herself afterwards, so the dude would need to dedicate all of his efforts to that. Basically the mission ends right there and they need to withdraw. However, she can't help it, that's what her class is like. Which is why the team should be more than just those two. If there were two people with "unlimited" attacks, like fighters, they could try to save her single attack for the enemy boss. One could fight while protecting her, whereas the other one would be still free to move as the situation demands.

Kraco
Sat, 11-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Episode 6

- -- --

With his silver tongue, Goblin Slayer knows how to converse with important people.

I feel like Priestess and Long-ears are looking down on the level of danger by drafting such a long list of no-good things for Goblin Slayer. Although some of them might make sense right below a town.

David75
Sat, 11-10-2018, 02:37 PM
Ogre+building. We've had that already in ep 4.
Sure it feels like that ogre has more experience. But it feels like the same thing happens all over again.
Unless the twist is somewhere else, like no more spell and scroll.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Ogre+building. We've had that already in ep 4.
Sure it feels like that ogre has more experience. But it feels like the same thing happens all over again.
Unless the twist is somewhere else, like no more spell and scroll.

Hot sword maiden is what's different. She's like.. the perfect version of our current priestess.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 11-11-2018, 02:02 AM
Hot sword maiden is what's different. She's like.. the perfect version of our current priestess.

Amen Brother!

But yeah limiting his options of killing Goblins is just downright stupid. Just because it doesn't sit right with your perception of a adventure doesn't mean you have to cut your own chance of survival. Plus you know our Slayer is just gonna find a new creative way to kill them.

Also it seems they've completely skipped an arc and changed the hero's introduction.

Kraco
Sun, 11-11-2018, 03:13 AM
Also it seems they've completely skipped an arc and changed the hero's introduction.

Yeah, I don't know why they would skip that arc. Maybe they just switched the order. Who knows.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 11-11-2018, 04:55 AM
Hopefully they just switched the order of the arcs. I can understand that it would show more growth for Slayer.
Then again if people freaked out at the first episode. They are not gonna like that arc.

Kraco
Sun, 11-11-2018, 06:54 AM
Then again if people freaked out at the first episode. They are not gonna like that arc.

I don't think anyone interested in this series freaked out. It was just the people who make money by freaking out by anything and their witless cohorts. In the end this show is among the very top of CR's most watched shows this season, so practically nobody dropped this due to any reasons.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 11-14-2018, 04:07 AM
Just watched all of this cause I was bored.

Main takeaway:

Even if you have no personality, nobody can tell what you look like, and you're actually pretty creepy, you can still have a respectable harem.

Ryllharu
Thu, 11-15-2018, 04:09 AM
I appreciate that this episode in particular was about an alligator in the sewers.

Kraco
Thu, 11-15-2018, 04:18 AM
I appreciate that this episode in particular was about an alligator in the sewers.

It's common sense there are alligators in sewers.

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 11-15-2018, 04:31 AM
Perhaps where you people live. Not here though :P

DarthEnderX
Thu, 11-15-2018, 09:09 AM
You poor naive fool...

Ryllharu
Thu, 11-15-2018, 04:37 PM
Perhaps where you people live. Not here though :P

Check for salt water crocodiles.

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 11-15-2018, 07:18 PM
We don't have crocodiles here in the Netherlands so yeah.

Ryllharu
Thu, 11-15-2018, 09:25 PM
That you know of...plenty of evidence of crocodile teeth found in the canals. Dating back all the way to the 1500s!

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 11-17-2018, 01:55 PM
New episode is out. Fuck yeah.

KrayZ33
Sat, 11-17-2018, 02:58 PM
I'm angry.

that episode was so good and now it's a week until we see what happens next!

Kraco
Sat, 11-17-2018, 03:25 PM
Yeah, it was a good episode, but I don't agree with the director on having the literal bird's eye view for so long. If it wasn't animated, I'd have thought the video jammed with only the audio continuing to play. Normally it would be just a moment, and when the bird blinks its eye for the first time, the scene would end.

The fight demonstrated how there are no truly OP characters in that world of theirs. The experienced adventurers might have skills and knowledge, but they aren't walking around with a thousand hit points, being able to ignore the little things.

KrayZ33
Sat, 11-17-2018, 04:04 PM
The fight demonstrated how there are no truly OP characters in that world of theirs. The experienced adventurers might have skills and knowledge, but they aren't walking around with a thousand hit points, being able to ignore the little things.

Indeed.

The poison gas scene was amazing as well. It was such an interesting combat scene overall. I simply love the fact that they use tools and ressources and that their ressources aren't basically unlimited like in so many other shows
It's not just the generic "I'm out of stamina" they have to work with, really everything they do is based on using ressources, whether it's shooting arrows, using weapons, using spells or using consumables.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-17-2018, 07:55 PM
Hold on. Hold on.

So you've got the Goblin Champion strangling in hair. He's suffocating. You're almost there.

Then you let go to take his eye out? I mean, come on man. This guy knows better. WTF was that?

As for the canary eye view, I felt like that scene should have been a unique ED/Credit scene.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-18-2018, 01:00 AM
That was just straight up Mines of Moria.

Weird that a goblin champion seems to be stronger than an ogre.

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-18-2018, 02:35 AM

How do you know?

Didn't really look like that to me.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-18-2018, 02:49 AM
Well, he seemingly killed Goblin Slayer. And the Ogre...didn't.

Kraco
Sun, 11-18-2018, 03:40 AM
So you've got the Goblin Champion strangling in hair. He's suffocating. You're almost there.

Then you let go to take his eye out? I mean, come on man. This guy knows better. WTF was that?

He realised his strength was failing and he couldn't keep strangling the champion long enough with enough force, plus the champion was ramming him against the wall, making his wounds still worse. Taking out an eye required only a moment, but might be enough to drive the thing away, like it did. He had barely enough strength to stand and take a few steps afterwards, so I'd say his judgement was correct.

The goblin champion was nothing compared to the ogre. The ogre was smart enough to talk in human languages, could use magic spells, had crazy regeneration. Maybe the physical strength and size weren't hugely different, hard to say, but the goblin champion was lacking all those other aspects. The same team was losing the fight against the ogre alone, whereas the goblin champion had an army of goblins assisting it. They only survived the ogre fight because of Goblin Slayer's scroll.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-18-2018, 03:48 AM
re: Gob champ vs Ogre,

DEX means that Goblin Slayer took a straight up hit from both of these guys, and while he recovered just fine post-potion from one, the other still ultimately KO-ed him despite potion.

As for the eye thing.. I don't know. Goblin Slayer has good judgement, but only when it comes to how best to kill a goblin. Like previously stated, he doesn't fight to fight another day. He's in it to kill these green bastards. It would have been hard to judge how much more time it'd take to strangle a goblin, so by the same token it could have been just a second or two longer of a hold.

Furthermore, the God who role the dice basically asked him to keep going until it kills him.

MFauli
Sun, 11-18-2018, 11:48 AM
that episode was so good

Joke?!

It could have been a good episode, but it had several severe fails:

- WHY would he attack the champion with hair? As we saw, the champion was completely taken by surprise. Ram any blade into the back of his head and it's done. Sigh

- That manufactured outrage-scene at the very end. Otakus be like 'ololol they ran out of budget, 2 minutes of bird eye!'. Nah, that's a lame attempt at artificially creating an Endless Eight-reaction, to get people talking about it. They could have added lots of interesting scenes, but nah, static bird eye it was. Fuck them.

- So ... GS knew about the high probability of a gas attack. He even prepared for it, but ... he tells his comrades about countermeasures in the last possible moment? That entirely defeats the whole 'this is like a pen and paper rpg' shtick. There was no reason not to tell them beforehand.

- priest girl trying to run up towards the skeleton. I didn't buy that scene at all. She's been with GS long enough by now. Clearly, she knows about the goblins' craftiness. Blindly rushing towards that fake-prisoner makes no sense. No, 'she's just that good hearted' doesn't explain it.

- This is the worst part of the episode, it was so sad that it almost made me cry: elf girl's boobs - or lack thereof. And I'm not talking about about flat-chestedness. No. There was nothing. Nada. Nichts. Niente. Null. Ffs, she was running around bare-chested after the goblins had retreated and NOBODY CARED. Not even her herself! Because there's NOTHING. Flat chests can be cute, but this was flatter than flat. Biggest tragedy in anime since 'I love Emilia'.

So no, it wasn't a good episode. Passing grade it is. Blindfolded naked head priestess was good. Lizard guy fighting was cool. GS fighting was good, except for the hair stuff. That's it.

Oh, I forgot a big negative: So let's get this straight: the hero of a series doesn't die in episode 7. It's Eren all over again. But that's why I hated this way too long scene where nothing happened, just the group becrying their 'fallen' companion. It's wasted time. If you don't kill someone for real, don't spend this much time on it. What's more: If he survives, it makes all these people assholes. Because instead of rushing him to get help, they just sat down and waited. Fantastic! Basically: We had to watch a lengthy non-consequential scene PLUS we'll get a dumb deus-ex-machina regeneration next episode. :/

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-18-2018, 12:48 PM
None of your points are even remotely severe enough to not call this an excellent episode and my standards are quite high but I refrain from nitpicking since many things are obviously tailored for enjoyment, we aren't looking for absolute realism.

- That manufactured outrage-scene at the very end. Otakus be like 'ololol they ran out of budget, 2 minutes of bird eye!'. Nah, that's a lame attempt at artificially creating an Endless Eight-reaction, to get people talking about it. They could have added lots of interesting scenes, but nah, static bird eye it was. Fuck them.

especially this one. It was too long.. but "severe fail"? nah.... 50/50 in terms of birdeye and some city scenes where the "normal life continues" would've been better though.

- So ... GS knew about the high probability of a gas attack. He even prepared for it, but ... he tells his comrades about countermeasures in the last possible moment? That entirely defeats the whole 'this is like a pen and paper rpg' shtick. There was no reason not to tell them beforehand.

He brought the bird and explained that it's there to notice the gas...so.. him not going any further with it unless necessary has pretty much been his character since episode 1, has it not? It has nothing to do pen and paper either, at least I don't see how?

- priest girl trying to run up towards the skeleton. I didn't buy that scene at all.

I did, I don't know why you wouldn't. That's why she's the priestess/priest girl.

WHY would he attack the champion with hair? As we saw, the champion was completely taken by surprise. Ram any blade into the back of his head and it's done. Sigh

But he didn't have "any" blade... and it wouldn't necessarily finish it either - especially if it's a crappy goblin blade. You saw what his dagger did to that Champion... absolutely nothing.
And he rode that beast and killed like 10 goblins with it

as for your missing boobs nonsense - can't you enjoy your fanservice during fanservice scenes? It's annoying enough that these scenes even exist, we don't need people begging for them 24/7. In fact. the episode was worse because the goblins decided to rip her clothes apart without doing anything to her. The dwarf made up for it more than enough though.

On a sidenote:

Did anyone notice the talking goblin that during GS's enrage scene that was..."mocking"(?) him?

Kraco
Sun, 11-18-2018, 04:08 PM
- This is the worst part of the episode, it was so sad that it almost made me cry: elf girl's boobs - or lack thereof. And I'm not talking about about flat-chestedness. No. There was nothing. Nada. Nichts. Niente. Null. Ffs, she was running around bare-chested after the goblins had retreated and NOBODY CARED. Not even her herself! Because there's NOTHING. Flat chests can be cute, but this was flatter than flat. Biggest tragedy in anime since 'I love Emilia'.

In the manga she has something there, though most would still describe that as flat. I haven't read the novel, so I don't know if she's a total pancake or not.

https://i.imgur.com/9Ce3zpE.jpg

MFauli
Sun, 11-18-2018, 09:21 PM
Kind of a lazy cop out that she didn't get violated. Her clothings are even ripped in a very convenient way. Should have either left her unharmed or gone all the way. Would have been interesting story-wise, too, how she'd deal with being raped. The only prominent rape victim in anime/manga is Cyasca and, well, she vanished from the story. Showing that rape must not necessarily leave to severe trauma would have been interesting. The elf girl is cheerful enough to maybe bear it. Obviously, GS would need to accept her romantic approaches then!

@kray:
Look, Kray, I'm not going to bother with a full reply when you dismiss my very valid points with 'that's not severe enough for me'. Maybe it's not 'severe' enough for it to be a bad episode, but praising it as 'great' with so many negatives ... ya know, it's okay to like dumb stuff. I love Star Wars Episode 1 *shrugs*

But even then, pls tell me why this doesn't count:

Oh, I forgot a big negative: So let's get this straight: the hero of a series doesn't die in episode 7. It's Eren all over again. But that's why I hated this way too long scene where nothing happened, just the group becrying their 'fallen' companion. It's wasted time. If you don't kill someone for real, don't spend this much time on it. What's more: If he survives, it makes all these people assholes. Because instead of rushing him to get help, they just sat down and waited. Fantastic! Basically: We had to watch a lengthy non-consequential scene PLUS we'll get a dumb deus-ex-machina regeneration next episode. :/

DarthEnderX
Mon, 11-19-2018, 12:31 AM
Oh, I forgot a big negative: So let's get this straight: the hero of a series doesn't die in episode 7.Tell that to Gurren Lagann.

I'm not going to bother with a full reply when you dismiss my very valid points with 'that's not severe enough for me'. Maybe it's not 'severe' enough for it to be a bad episode, but praising it as 'great' with so many negatives ...A lot of your points are only valid to you.

MFauli
Mon, 11-19-2018, 01:37 AM
A lot of your points are only valid to you.

Nothing I mentioned is a lie.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 11-19-2018, 02:40 AM
Nothing I mentioned is a lie.But you categorized them all as fails, which not everyone will agree that they are.

KrayZ33
Mon, 11-19-2018, 04:22 AM
@kray:
Look, Kray, I'm not going to bother with a full reply when you dismiss my very valid points with 'that's not severe enough for me'. Maybe it's not 'severe' enough for it to be a bad episode, but praising it as 'great' with so many negatives ... ya know, it's okay to like dumb stuff. I love Star Wars Episode 1 *shrugs*

Well, it's not dumb - they clearly overdid the drama in that scene in my opinion too, but that doesn't make the whole episode a fail. I'm not that retarded to believe that. The episode could've been 30 seconds short and that scene would've been better/good.

But even then, pls tell me why this doesn't count:

If you have a problem with that, then that is on your own.
I didn't have a problem with Eren "dying" in Attack on Titan, in fact it was probably the best scene in the whole show.
Just because you can't handle reuinions or something does once again not mean the episode is bad.
The viewer, the characters, everyone acted accordingly when Eren died and when he got out of that Titan and Mikasa went to get him, it was probably the highlight of that show.

And "spending much time" on it? They dedicated 1 minute to it so far and we've already seen ~ 150 minutes of this show, that means they've dedicated 0,5% - oh gee....

*all* of your points are, as always, overdone - factually wrong - and make me cringe.

This is what I got out of this scene:

GS is DEAD and he went out with a bang. Whatever happens in the next episode is on the next episode, not this one, as it's the next episode that has to make it believable or rather solve this issue. I don't know whether or not this world is "RPG" enough for resurrection magic, I don't believe it exist without a cost. I'd be dissapointed if it's something that can be done just like that. But again - that would be something to discuss about in the next episode(s)

Nothing I mentioned is a lie.

actually... not even that is true.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 11-19-2018, 05:18 AM
I thought it was honestly quite clear that the birds eye scene was meant to have rolling credits overlaying on top, but just didn't happen.

MFauli
Mon, 11-19-2018, 08:41 AM
actually... not even that is true.

So you're just an asshole. Alright, got it.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 11-19-2018, 08:43 AM
I think Mfauli is just saying it's not a great episode but not a bad one. Krayz might have interpreted it as the episode itself being a fail, when only parts of it were, per Mfauli.

Just translating here.

KrayZ33
Mon, 11-19-2018, 09:24 AM
So you're just an asshole. Alright, got it.

No - you are just flat out not stating the truth. I already explained why but here it is again.

It's Eren all over again. But that's why I hated this way too long scene where nothing happened, just the group becrying their 'fallen' companion. It's wasted time. If you don't kill someone for real, don't spend this much time on it.

define: "this much time" ?

1 minute is too much for a "fake" deathscene?

In 1 minute? No.

Also "Fuck them"? Okay tough guy, didn't drink your milk today? How about you start growing up.
It's been years already. At some point in time you should've crossed the line in your life where you stop being a complete asshole on the internet and become more rational.

- WHY would he attack the champion with hair? As we saw, the champion was completely taken by surprise. Ram any blade into the back of his head and it's done. Sigh

It's not done by a simple stab with the sword there is simply no way that this beast would've died in one hit, no matter where you hit it... but that's beside the point, he didn't even have one - he jumped him with whatever was available, showing his craftiness which is exactly what this show portrayed him as. On top of that, it added a lot of power to the scene itself.

He even prepared for it, but ... he tells his comrades about countermeasures in the last possible moment? That entirely defeats the whole 'this is like a pen and paper rpg' shtick. There was no reason not to tell them beforehand.

Not only did he mention the reason why he brought it, it doesn't defeat the pen and paper nature of this show either.

So?
but hey I dismissed your point simply by saying "that's not severe enough for me, duh", right?

btw, will you go back to trolling now, just like last time?

@ shinta:
edit: I honestly don't think so.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-24-2018, 12:51 PM
Episode 08

-------------------------

"Those boobs, they're kinda smaller than what I remembered." - My thoughts while seeing naked Priestess and confusing her for Sword Maiden.

I don't have much more to add other than that this once again felt like an extremely short episode. (edit: actually - How eye-lasers fail to keep up with moving targets always amazes me. )

KrayZ33
Sat, 11-24-2018, 02:13 PM
I somehow fail to see how that letter from last episode before he died included this request when he said himself that this type of 'weapon' is probably useless against goblins.

Or did he send a new one?

And is small priestess no longer a virgin?
Or can she be used as "fodder" whenever this happens?

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 11-24-2018, 08:07 PM
I suppose that's up for interpretation. The Sword Maiden wasn't a virgin either but she still joined the ritual.

MFauli
Sat, 11-24-2018, 08:13 PM
Episode was shit, but expected shit, so whatever. I'm sure someone will be able to ignore all the shit and celebrate it nonetheless.

Only upside: sjws will hate it lol. "Women are weak", then a boob jiggle while she talks about her rape. Rofl. It's like a '101 - How to trigger sjws'.

Just one thing: What was the problem with the eyeball monster? Since it can't keep up, just shoot an arrow, done. Ffs, the dwarf even put it to sleep, so just gang up on it with all your weapons. Whatever.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-25-2018, 12:10 AM
Small priestess is still a virgin. You literally "share a bed with a virgin" and nothing else, because it's difficult to get an erection out of a corpse that has no cardiac output. She's too low a level to cast Resurrection though, so that's where the Sword Maiden comes in. Whether she could cast then leave, or whether it was mandatory for her to snooze with them, I can't tell you.

@Krayz: yeah, I don't know how to interpret that flour scene. Maybe he already suspected strong champs by then? No idea.

Kraco
Mon, 11-26-2018, 02:21 PM
Episode starts with a Hobbit reference and ends by making fun of the Beholder trademark.

It's always nice how Goblin Slayer comes up with new ways to weaponise random pieces of information and knowledge he acquires. Seeing how a single dagger could kill even the strongest of fighters in that world, the role of intelligence is emphasized.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 11-26-2018, 02:52 PM
@Krayz: yeah, I don't know how to interpret that flour scene. Maybe he already suspected strong champs by then? No idea.That just seems like his thing. He comes up with new ways to kill Goblins, then he tests them out. In this instance, he just ran into not-a-goblin first.

Like, in this episode, the ice cream vendor explained to him how fire magic was used to make liquid freeze(wtf btw), and he's all, "Hmm, that's interesting."

You just know he's planning to freeze a bunch of goblins to death in the future.

KrayZ33
Mon, 11-26-2018, 05:28 PM
Yes, but he specifically said that this method is useless for killing goblins. At least somewhat along these lines.

He wouldn't request something ineffective for killing goblins and bring it along, would he?

DarthEnderX
Tue, 11-27-2018, 01:31 AM
Yes, but he specifically said that this method is useless for killing goblins. At least somewhat along these lines.

He wouldn't request something ineffective for killing goblins and bring it along, would he?Because he'd never tried it before.

Only after using it against the Beholder did he decide it wouldn't be useful against goblins.

KrayZ33
Tue, 11-27-2018, 11:51 AM
Oh okay, he tried it out.

I actually thought he went for it even though he knew it'll be ineffective against goblins and a hassle to prepare.

Kraco
Sat, 12-01-2018, 05:33 PM
Episode 9

- -- - - -

Quite a nice and balanced episode. Apart from the elf going a bit too far in her modern tsundere act. Goblin Slayer is slowly gaining some human attributes, such as actually having a conversation with the Sword Maiden, as unyielding as he was, plus wanting to try something new that hasn't got anything to do with slaying goblins. Probably. Working in a good group can do miracles.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-01-2018, 05:53 PM
The lizardman summon is so freaking amazing and useful. Overall the fighting was very well done and very dynamic.

I had to watch the "report" twice to understand what was going on though, for a moment I thought Sword Maiden summoned the goblins to let the town suffer and experience what she had to experience.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 12-01-2018, 11:44 PM
plus wanting to try something new that hasn't got anything to do with slaying goblins.
Oh you naive fool. He's going to kill so many goblins with that ice cream.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-02-2018, 05:33 AM
The lizardman summon is so freaking amazing and useful. Overall the fighting was very well done and very dynamic.

I had to watch the "report" twice to understand what was going on though, for a moment I thought Sword Maiden summoned the goblins to let the town suffer and experience what she had to experience.

I thought she purposely left dead women and their intestines lying around the place so people would go hunt the goblins at first.

KrayZ33
Sun, 12-02-2018, 06:12 AM
I honestly still don't know whether the dead bodies even existed in the first place or if the whole story was made up by her.
But we saw dead adventurers/guards when they went down through the well for the first time and they were rather "fresh".

So there must have been some reason to go down there.

I still don't know who killed the women then though, since goblins supposedly don't do it like that

I'm really not sure what has happened.

All I understand is that she can't go down there by herself because she is afraid of goblins, that's why she ordered that familiar to prevent the "goblin outbreak"(?) and keep it in check somewhat And a sect seems to be responsible for that mess, though they've been defeated by the Hero somewhere (probably the scene we saw some episodes earlier).

It's actually rather interesting to review that scene again now. You can actually tell that Goblin Slayer knew that something was off from the very beginning, but his group stopped him from investigating/questioning it any further.
Same thing with the Sword Maiden.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 12-02-2018, 08:26 AM
Yeah they blamed those deaths on Goblins so that people would hunt them I suppose.
But a crucial bit from the manga was missing here that explained who killed those people. That scene was shown a few episodes earlier with the Hero and her companions.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-02-2018, 04:21 PM
I still don't know who killed the women then though, since goblins supposedly don't do it like that

I'm really not sure what has happened.I thought the albino gator killed the people, since GS implied that it was the priestesses familiar.

My understanding was, she knew there were goblins moving into the sewers, and needed them gotten rid of, because of her trauma. But nobody would care if she just told people about them. So she had her gator tear up a few people, to blame on goblins, so that people would go down and get rid of the goblins.

I'm not sure if that's right though.

All I understand is that she can't go down there by herself because she is afraid of goblins, that's why she ordered that familiar to prevent the "goblin outbreak"(?) and keep it in check somewhat And a sect seems to be responsible for that mess, though they've been defeated by the Hero somewhere (probably the scene we saw some episodes earlier).When she priestess said her and the hero defeated the demon king and sent all the goblins far away, I thought maybe she meant the green moon, where GS thinks goblins come from.

I also thought maybe the place on the other side of the mirror where goblins are just living outside was also on the moon.

Yeah they blamed those deaths on Goblins so that people would hunt them I suppose.
But a crucial bit from the manga was missing here that explained who killed those people. That scene was shown a few episodes earlier with the Hero and her companions.Wait, so the hero and her companions killed the people?

Kraco
Sun, 12-02-2018, 04:28 PM
Wait, so the hero and her companions killed the people?

Haha.

The cultists killed the people. The cultists also helped the goblins to infest the sewers. They knew the Sword Maiden is afraid of goblins, so they tried to make her life difficult by having a goblin colony right under her feet. The Hero & Co just happened to slay those cultists, possibly by coincidence more than by any plan of the Sword Maiden. The alligator was the only thing the Sword Maiden could do to keep the goblins in check personally since she can't face goblins in person. Who knows why she told Goblin Slayer nothing beforehand, but maybe she was afraid he would give up if she knew everything, after all, she's mortally afraid of goblins, so she might believe others are as well.

KrayZ33
Sun, 12-02-2018, 04:53 PM
I thought the albino gator killed the people, since GS implied that it was the priestesses familiar.

My understanding was, she knew there were goblins moving into the sewers, and needed them gotten rid of, because of her trauma. But nobody would care if she just told people about them. So she had her gator tear up a few people, to blame on goblins, so that people would go down and get rid of the goblins.

I'm not sure if that's right though.

When she priestess said her and the hero defeated the demon king and sent all the goblins far away, I thought maybe she meant the green moon, where GS thinks goblins come from.

I also thought maybe the place on the other side of the mirror where goblins are just living outside was also on the moon.

Wait, so the hero and her companions killed the people?

That's somewhat similar to what I thought at first too, but it made no sense at all, so I rewatched it and I came to the same conclusion as Kraco explained it.
The talk they had doesn't really work that well when there are several weeks of downtime between episodes since it also connects to the first time they met.

Typical anime weakness, that's probably why a lot of shows use flashbacks. Still glad they decided not to use them here. (precious screen time)

Not sure why she didn't simply tell the truth though or at least something closer to the truth, I mean.... she could've made up all kind of shit like "I'm too busy as the archbishop to go down there and hunt mere goblins, however, I know that they are a problem that needs to be adressed" or something.
Since the sect has been defeated, why didn't she put up adventurer quests? The mirror alone would've gathered more than enough willful highclass adventurers.

Anyway, I wonder what's up next. we still have some episodes to go. I guess one more adventure.
Too bad it's just a 12/13-episode-show

DarthEnderX
Mon, 12-03-2018, 02:31 AM
NOW I'm on the trolley.

MFauli
Mon, 12-03-2018, 05:00 PM
Tbh what I gound the weirdest was the scene of the goblins on the other side of the mirror. I'd have to rewatch it to be sure, but ... they looked pretty 'normal', didn't they? As in, leading a normal happy life. Building huts, dancing around fires, talking, esting, etc.. I thought it kinda disturbed the image that GS wants to have of them. Maybe that's why he got rid of the mirror? After all, there might have been good goblins. And GS doesn't want that to become a reality.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-04-2018, 12:35 AM
That's what it seemed to me too. Bunch of goblins living peacefully outside.

Although the giant cauldron seemed a bit sinister. But then, any cooking vessel large enough to accommodate a person always seems sinister.

David75
Tue, 12-04-2018, 02:53 AM
It's also possible the goblins who dare to go to another world have adventurer minds and are the more violent ones.

Somehow when analysing your average adventurer from a monster perspective, adventurer pillage/kill/loot everything without care too.

Kraco
Tue, 12-04-2018, 04:25 AM
Tbh what I gound the weirdest was the scene of the goblins on the other side of the mirror. I'd have to rewatch it to be sure, but ... they looked pretty 'normal', didn't they? As in, leading a normal happy life. Building huts, dancing around fires, talking, esting, etc.. I thought it kinda disturbed the image that GS wants to have of them. Maybe that's why he got rid of the mirror? After all, there might have been good goblins. And GS doesn't want that to become a reality.

Nazis and communists were also capable of spending time with their families, courting women, drinking and singing with their friends, whenever they weren't escorting groups of random civilians to a forest to be shot without the slightest compunction. I'm sure islamists are also capable of enjoying the company of their compatriots, smoking and having a good time talking about cars and whatnot, whenever they aren't slitting the throats of kidnapped civilians or planting bombs in public places.

KrayZ33
Tue, 12-04-2018, 11:39 AM
That's what it seemed to me too. Bunch of goblins living peacefully outside.

Although the giant cauldron seemed a bit sinister. But then, any cooking vessel large enough to accommodate a person always seems sinister.

They were lashing their own kind with a whip though...
and the humanoid looking skulls lying around everywhere didn't look that idyllic to me either.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-04-2018, 10:56 PM
They were lashing their own kind with a whip though...
and the humanoid looking skulls lying around everywhere didn't look that idyllic to me either.Ah, okay. I didn't get a close look.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-08-2018, 01:15 PM
Episode 10

------------------------------

oh snap, that last scene

Kraco
Sat, 12-08-2018, 01:55 PM
It felt like the show overemphasized slightly the break from action. But I guess they made such a choice to have that last scene right at the end of the episode. I admit it was effective in some ways, like showing the exact same routine a few times, only the last one ending totally differently. However, otherwise the overextended slice of life was kind of unfitting for the series. Like, how could the goblins have disappeared, leaving no quests for him to worry about?

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-08-2018, 02:54 PM
since the demon lord has been defeated, maybe other adventurers had to start picking up goblin quests.

Kraco
Sat, 12-08-2018, 03:01 PM
since the demon lord has been defeated, maybe other adventurers had to start picking up goblin quests.

Hmm... Quite a valid point. Even the dude training the youths referred to goblins, even though normally the experienced adventurers try to stay away from goblins if they can help it.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-16-2018, 05:24 AM
I was looking forward to this all day today. The disappointment seeing a recap episode is heavy.

Imagine Goblin Slayer going on a quest only to find giant rats instead of the promised goblins? Kinda like that.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 12-16-2018, 06:25 AM
Yeah, whole week of goblin blue balls only for it to continue with the blue balls.

MFauli
Sun, 12-16-2018, 10:27 PM
Japan needs to stop recap episodes :/ People don't have such bird brains, a 26 episode-series (much less a 13 one) doesn't need a recap. If it wss 52 episodes, ok, once or twice a year a recap is acceptable.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-16-2018, 10:48 PM
It's really not. Everyone watches anime online now. There's just no reason for them anymore.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-16-2018, 11:07 PM
They need it to pad schedules and catch up for lost time during production. They don't do it for fun and consider it a disgrace or necessary evil at least.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 12-22-2018, 05:35 PM
New episode is out!

Plenty of action in this one. Was wondering how they would censor this bit.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-23-2018, 02:57 AM
So is this ending in 1-2 episodes?

Feels like we're at a climax.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-23-2018, 03:04 AM
This face looked oddly ero when it shouldn't be.

https://i.imgur.com/ju7DkRO.png

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 12-23-2018, 04:13 AM
I was gonna say it's just you.....but I know what you mean.
She's practicing for when the Goblins arrive I suppose.

David75
Sun, 12-23-2018, 03:19 PM
Well, proper adult woman with proper make-up telling the man she actually loves she's willing to uselessly go through hell and die with him.
And no, I did not think about that.

neflight86
Sun, 12-23-2018, 05:34 PM
I liked the scene at the guild. Trying to get help was the first thing I imagined him doing, but when the other adventurers kept coming up with excuses to help, I got a big warm smile. He's a weirdo, but hes their weirdo. In accordance with the season, I found it to be a very "jolly" episode (sans meat shields).

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-23-2018, 08:36 PM
This face looked oddly ero when it shouldn't be.I don't know about ero, but the face definitely made me go "Is that what they were trying to go for?"

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-23-2018, 10:35 PM
Get your minds out of the gutter guys. She was trying to smile but failing.

The "everything" speech almost made me cry.

KrayZ33
Mon, 12-24-2018, 05:05 AM
I actually had to laugh when GS said "Don't look at me like that!!!!"

as if he was saying "WHAT THE F.."

MFauli
Mon, 12-24-2018, 05:17 AM
Feels like we're at a climax.

Oh, we ARE.

🙈❤😸

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-29-2018, 02:38 PM
Episode 13

-----------------

Oh snap!

That double protection by Priestess was brutal. I even hoped that she thought of it on her own accord after all this experience, so I was slightly disappointed to learn that Goblin Slayer had (fittingly) thought it up all along. Instead she kept a heal spell for him though, which is more befitting her character I guess.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-29-2018, 03:59 PM
That last splashscreen <3

DarthEnderX
Sat, 12-29-2018, 07:52 PM
That last scene with the helmet was super cute.

Overall, this was a decent fun ride. I skipped the first episode entirely because of everything I heard about it, and don't feel like I missed out on anything.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-29-2018, 10:56 PM
Wow, can't believe something that tame could dissuade people from watching the episode. Hilarious.

MFauli
Sun, 12-30-2018, 02:34 AM
I skipped the first episode entirely because of everything I heard about it, and don't feel like I missed out on anything.

Lol

But it's ok. I rewatched parts of episode 1 several times, so the universe is in balance :]