PDA

View Full Version : That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime: Tensei shitara Slime datta Ken

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MFauli
Wed, 10-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Episode 1 is out
--------

Super good first episode. Big positive surprise :D And the ending is very promising, too. So apparently Ken will be able to transform into human-shape, too. Opens up many possibilities.

Production value seems high. Really pleasant experience. ❤

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-03-2018, 12:25 PM
Read 2 volumes of this and reading volume 3 now. It's okay. Extremely fast paced. Don't get your hopes too high and you will enjoy it.

Ryllharu
Wed, 10-03-2018, 03:53 PM
It's better than Overlord, at least...

I consider it somewhere between Maoyuu Maou Yuusha and DanMachi, weighted just slightly toward Maoyuu.

Economics and politics come into play, but it isn't taken as seriously as Maoyuu, and Great Sage is obviously more like an game-mechanic Isekai series. DanMachi had elements of that. Shinta is right though, this series can run at a breakneck pace. Consider how much time already passed just in episode 1.

MFauli
Wed, 10-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Please stop spoiling this for anime-only fans :/

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Hey, I only said it had a fast pace. Ryll is the one naming stuff.

Ryllharu
Thu, 10-04-2018, 02:20 AM
I compared it to two other series, but duly noted.

Kraco
Thu, 10-04-2018, 02:34 PM
I quite enjoy the manga, so I'm watching this as well. I had nothing against this particular isekai getting animated, not a waste like some others (not referring to Overlord but some isekai I didn't read/watch because they were too stupid). Although especially in this first episode anime as a medium posed some problems, for sure. As a slime, he was supposed to be incapable of more or less all of our senses, save touch and taste(/smell). It ought to have worked in the novel (which I haven't read), but it was hard enough to depict in the manga, I'd say, and impossible in the anime.

MFauli
Mon, 10-08-2018, 03:06 PM
Episode 2 is out
-----------

Another great episode. Rimuru is the coolest slime ever - and strongest, too. Lol, imagine playing a jrpg, finding a slime, thinking to kill it with one slash of your sword - and it starts pulling off all sorts of crazy moves :D

Also: there we have our 'good' goblins!!1

Only letdown: I expected Veldora to communicate with Rimuru telepathically, but apparently that's not possible.

David75
Tue, 10-09-2018, 12:31 AM
Well, the end of the ep was a bit of a letdown.
There's not much to be gained from helping those goblins or fighting those weak direwolves.
Sure you can always bend your story into making it useful, or just something you do for fun/compassion.
But as is, it felt as spoilt frames...

Kraco
Tue, 10-09-2018, 01:38 AM
Lol, imagine playing a jrpg, finding a slime, thinking to kill it with one slash of your sword - and it starts pulling off all sorts of crazy moves :D

I don't need to imagine it after playing Atelier Sophie. Generally speaking I play games quite carefully, but then once I made the mistake of thinking a boss slime is still a slime. How tough can it be?

Well, the end of the ep was a bit of a letdown.
There's not much to be gained from helping those goblins or fighting those weak direwolves.
Sure you can always bend your story into making it useful, or just something you do for fun/compassion.
But as is, it felt as spoilt frames...

Come on, don't look down on the series so early on. Rimuru is a monster himself now, so what's wrong about associating with other monsters? Think of his personality back when he was still a human: He was a dude willing to help his friends, and even gave his life to save them. Clearly not a person only working for his own personal benefit and otherwise ignoring everybody and their distress.

David75
Tue, 10-09-2018, 03:52 AM
I just hope this is not some time lost for better anime content.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-09-2018, 04:08 AM
I reckon towards the end of the story, we'll learn that Rimuru becomes handicapped after we learn that his prior performance was only because of his high mana stores. It'll be an interesting and believable way to suddenly introduce tension. After that, breaking out Veldora successfully would be the key to winning whatever battle he would be in.

This show is great so far in a feel-good sort of way.

David75
Tue, 10-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Well my reaction to the goblin part is that of allergy to useless frames in good/enjoyable anime. We've had that quite a bit these last few seasons. I will be pleased if it so happens it was unfounded fear ;)

DarthEnderX
Sun, 10-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Rimuru's powers are just...too much.

I mean, I like that he's basically Mega Man in that he takes the powers of whatever he kills. And it's cool that he absorbs materials for later...I guess...crafting usage. Those are already two hugely OP abilities.

But the fact that ON TOP of that he also seems to immediately learn anything he even tries to do once is just stacking hacks on top of hacks. Like all those water abilities he just learned for no reason. They couldn't have had him, like, eat a squid or something to explain it?

Like, pick a lane.

I also wish he didn't actually change color when he shape-shifted into a monster he's eaten. I think it would have been cool if he was just a slime SHAPED like the monster.

There's not much to be gained from helping those goblins or fighting those weak direwolves.Hey, you don't know what kinds of cool special abilities Dire Wolves or Goblins might have.

I thought he was going to ask to eat the body of that goblin hero, so that he could gain access to a humanoid form.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-14-2018, 12:19 PM
In my opinion, that's kinda the point. There's one or two other isekai-series that go for this angle. I won't name them. But, "weak-ass monster is remarkably overpowered."

It's a big difference from the more typical mode of "nerd is great in this tailor made environment."

Great Sage is a super cheat and acknowledged as such. There's also specific advantages that have been granted, with set-ups from the first episode. Time frame is important too. It's already been nearly a year, with only two episodes.

MFauli
Sun, 10-14-2018, 02:08 PM
I also don't think power progression is the point of this anime. Rimuru is more like Saitama, except not THAT powerful. But he's not expected to train and work to get stronger. He's a ridiculous abnormality that'll humiliate traditionally strong characters and defeat traditionally strong monsters to impress others. And that's fine imo.

David75
Mon, 10-15-2018, 12:10 PM
New ep out.

So everyone leveled up.
Taming direwolves and have them evolve gets Rimuru a fast vehicule...
And he's got hot goblinas for his sweet dreams now :o

Naming monsters have them evolve and costs him magicules.
I wonder he gets some energy or evolution, other than having a society he can build an empire with, with all the associated benefits.
I wonder if the scenarists/writer will go the simcity route. Because now, with those evolutions and Rimuru's skills/powers, it makes sense to care about the goblins and direwolves.

MFauli
Mon, 10-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Still the best anime of the season. I love how Rimuru basically brings civilization to monsters :D

I just have a bad feeling that shitty humans might fuck over the village, especially since the goblins won't hurt humans now. :/

Also goblinas. No wonder these goblins don't have to resort to rape.

KrayZ33
Mon, 10-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Story wise, this is hardly any different than 2 (shitty) anime I've watched in the last 2 seasons.

This has a funny twist to it but I'd be a hypocrite if I say it's any different from that smartphone-dude or that game-designer isekai show.

Lets see how long this will remain interesting. It's build around humor, so it has a chance

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-16-2018, 02:41 AM
Wow he chewed through his mana crazily fast. Recovery only took 3 days however, which cheapens all the rare stuff he spent months eating up.

NeoCybercoin
Tue, 10-16-2018, 05:14 AM
I think his mana doesn't come from the materials that he ate. Think it's Veldora inside of him that is basically his additional source.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-16-2018, 06:28 AM
But there's a barrier between himself and Veldora, and they're supposed to be "attacking" or analyzing it from each side.

I didn't think they could access each other's mana like that.

MFauli
Tue, 10-16-2018, 06:42 AM
Maybe the mana stones need to regenerate, no Rimuru.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-16-2018, 08:05 AM
I think his mana doesn't come from the materials that he ate. Think it's Veldora inside of him that is basically his additional source.

Actually, I re-watched the episodes.. you may well be right.

The cave was full of rare herbs and ores because Veldora is leaking magicules. Presumably if Slime at him, he'd become a battery. Slime did say he'd quarantine Veldora such that he doesn't die though, so he shouldn't be so ready to milk him of his magic.

David75
Tue, 10-16-2018, 09:17 AM
It's also possible that during that year he developped an ability to restore his mana levels from many sources, the slow ones taking up to 3 days.
I can think of earth/air connection. Just being there he can charge.
And maybe there's his new connection to all the goblins and direwolves. Naming them costs a lot, but then he gets energy from them.
Its very possible that the scene where the goblinas carres him had other meanings than just useless worship.
It's a common trope: Gods get power from their worshipers.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 10-16-2018, 09:18 AM
The mana is Rimuru's, not from what he ate or Veldora. That's his default mana pool. OP? Yes. But that's what Slime Tensei is all about.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 10-16-2018, 11:12 AM
But there's a barrier between himself and Veldora, and they're supposed to be "attacking" or analyzing it from each side.

I didn't think they could access each other's mana like that.I'm assuming there's some bleeding occurring.

Like, I'm pretty sure Rimuru's super huge monster aura is actually Valdora's aura.

The mana is Rimuru's, not from what he ate or Veldora. That's his default mana pool.Maybe those crystals were like Magic Seeds in Dragon Quest, where they increase your Max Mana. So now, because he ate so many, he has a massive mana pool that recovers when he does.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 10-16-2018, 11:15 AM
Didn't Veldora name Rimuru? That'd explain his OP mana stuff.

David75
Tue, 10-16-2018, 11:32 AM
Yup, they named each other.
So if there's any energy/mana route created between the namer and the named, Rimuru sure got an incredible namer and named in Veldora.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 10-16-2018, 11:59 AM
I do think it's funny that evolving makes you hotter.

So..eventually he's gonna have to eat some human in order to get the form he has in the OP right? I'm interested to see how that goes down.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 10-17-2018, 04:10 PM
Considering his nature he wouldn't attack them in order to devour them. I guess he'll come across that chick when she's on death's door or something.

KrayZ33
Wed, 10-17-2018, 04:24 PM
is it a chick or a dude looking like a chick, looked like the latter to me

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-17-2018, 04:25 PM
Chick with dick.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 10-17-2018, 07:01 PM
I don't think the person he eats is necessarily going to look anything like his human form.

When he mimiced a Dire Wolf, he took a generic Dire Wolf form, not an exact copy of the Dire Wolf he absorbed.

So that form in the intro is just what HE looks like when he mimics a human, and is not necessarily going to look anything like the human that he absorbs.

fireheart
Thu, 10-18-2018, 03:59 AM
Probably a shapeshifting monster if I had to guess or a mimic of sort

David75
Thu, 10-18-2018, 06:52 AM
Direwolf was dead. So he can absorb someone who died just seconds/minutes ago.
Not sure if it changes anything for busybodies.

Or it can be following the same pattern as Veldora:
He stores that someone in his stomach to delay the effects of an incurable disease or a curse.
And since that someone probably isn't seal, Rimuru can access to all of their power/stats, or maybe he can give control to his physical body to that someone with his shape-shifting abilities.

Kraco
Thu, 10-18-2018, 08:12 AM
Direwolf was dead. So he can absorb someone who died just seconds/minutes ago.
Not sure if it changes anything for busybodies.

Or it can be following the same pattern as Veldora:
He stores that someone in his stomach to delay the effects of an incurable disease or a curse.
And since that someone probably isn't seal, Rimuru can access to all of their power/stats, or maybe he can give control to his physical body to that someone with his shape-shifting abilities.

Wasn't his skill called Predator? He probably needs to really ingest and decompose, thus slay, something to gain its abilities. He wouldn't gain anything from Veldora who's in only for safekeeping. I'm not sure he could process a supreme monster like Veldora anyway for the time being.

David75
Thu, 10-18-2018, 12:55 PM
By the time we get there, Rimuru might get new skills, or his predator skill could evolve.
It might also come as a joke at the time. After all every ep as tons of jokes on so many levels that I probably miss most of them :)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-19-2018, 04:55 AM
Predator was initially intended for girls. Maybe one day it'll finally fulfil its purpose.

David75
Mon, 10-22-2018, 12:03 PM
Damn Rimuru, so OP I'm jalous.
Being tactile, I admitt the elves scenes were pretty nice :o
Show keeps stalling a bit, even if Rimuru is creating bonds, I need something more now.

Kraco
Mon, 10-22-2018, 01:52 PM
It was pretty funny how Rimuru could think of nothing but elf girls as soon as he heard there are elves in the dwarven city.

David75
Mon, 10-22-2018, 02:01 PM
Well he was a 30+ virgin when he died after all. It's possible that his harddrive had lots of elf adult material.... :o
At first glance, being reincarnated as a slime was a harsh... But seeing how he can be squeezed and to easily adapt to voluptuous shapes as he did... I think he's a lucky bastard .
He could even heal them the way he did for the goblins, with obvious sexy added benefits :o

MFauli
Mon, 10-22-2018, 02:38 PM
I think this is one of those anime that would be perfect to binge-watch, but feels 'slow' when watched as it airs. Cannot be helped.

Another good episode. And elf girls ❤

Ryllharu
Mon, 10-22-2018, 03:31 PM
Rimuru's evil laugh is so cute. It's that gap between menacingly overpowered and adorable that makes this series work so well.

KrayZ33
Mon, 10-22-2018, 05:05 PM
It's not that I dislike this show, but this could fall into the Overlord trap very easily. It's already pretty close considering that he seems to have everything at the ready, through sheer "luck" alone..

Ryllharu
Mon, 10-22-2018, 05:51 PM
My perspective:

Overlord got boring because it becomes just repeatedly showing how evil they are, while sometimes doing other things (Ainz playing around and learning about the world). Viewers got it, they're evil, but they kept repeating it.

Rimuru stated their goal in this episode. Build their village. That reminds me more of Utawarwerumono. Rimuru just happens to be like the village's deity so far. Hakuoro with some more cheats.

MFauli
Mon, 10-22-2018, 06:01 PM
My perspective:

Overlord got boring because it becomes just repeatedly showing how evil they are, while sometimes doing other things (Ainz playing around and learning about the world). Viewers got it, they're evil, but they kept repeating it.

Rimuru stated their goal in this episode. Build their village. That reminds me more of Utawarwerumono. Rimuru just happens to be like the village's deity so far. Hakuoro with some more cheats.

Agreed. Don't really see any parallels to Overlord. I guess ... both anime have a strong mc?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-22-2018, 06:09 PM
They might be the same in that the MC, due to being OP, is never at real risk, making things not exciting.

Ryllharu
Mon, 10-22-2018, 06:35 PM
Superman is never at real risk most of the time either, but things can still get exciting despite that.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 10-22-2018, 10:02 PM
I was worried the were going to subvert his expectations with the elves. But they were exactly like he imagined.

His manufacturing abilities are also impressive.

Ainz's OP and Rimuru's OP are on a completely different level honestly. Ainz is immediately established to be, by far, the most powerful thing on the planet. With an army of likewise powerful servants under his command.

Rimuru has the potential to BECOME the most powerful thing on his planet. But he has to collect his powers for that to happen. There's probably tons of thing in that world that could kill him instantly as he is now. And he's building his servants from the absolute bottom and working his way up.

And of course...he's not an evil dick. So that's a plus as well.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-23-2018, 07:15 AM
I was worried the were going to subvert his expectations with the elves. But they were exactly like he imagined.

I was expecting to see butch elves. Thank the God of Fate that they're of the slim type.

This show takes itself much less seriously than Overlord. The comedy feels right. The issue with the gravitas of Overlord is that if it doesn't deliver, then it comes off as being rather full of itself and boring.

If this show doesn't go anywhere, it's at least rather funny.

KrayZ33
Tue, 10-23-2018, 10:50 AM

That's exactly the direction slime might be going to though....
We are just not far enough in.

They are pretty much identical characters at this point, the only difference is their approach in comedy.

The Slime is overpowered and already established to be extremely powerful, Ains wasn't established to be the strongest being in the world by episode 4 either - just very strong.
In fact, in Season 1 it looked like his minions were actually stronger than him and it was suggested that he himself wasn't really one of the strongest players.

Episode 4 previewed what is very likely to be the norm in future episodes:
Slime just so happens to have every possible immunity, immense amounts of mana, always has the right stuff saved up inside him (ore/medicine) etc. etc out of sheer "luck" of course.
Another OP Isekai Player character..

And on top of it, he's obviously building his own encampment of monsters / followers too.

Ainz's OP and Rimuru's OP are on a completely different level honestly. Ainz is immediately established to be, by far, the most powerful thing on the planet. With an army of likewise powerful servants under his command.

No... that didn't happen. He was considered to be extremely strong yes, but there has always been the possibility that other players were around, with their own minions and own bases.
And honestly, the Slime is basically on the same level already. He devoured one of the 4(?) dragons which are obviously some of the strongest beeings, if not the strongest beeings in that world in episode 1. Barrier aside, as if that is not telling enough already.

Anyway, the fear of something stopping Ains and his plans stopped being relevant in season 2. Which is exactly what I fear will happen to this anime too.

Kraco
Tue, 10-23-2018, 11:40 AM
Ains wasn't established to be the strongest being in the world by episode 4 either - just very strong.
In fact, in Season 1 it looked like his minions were actually stronger than him and it was suggested that he himself wasn't really one of the strongest players.

I don't know what gave you that impession. He defeated Shalltear without using his real battle equipment at all. He was also the leader of a PK guild, with plenty of experience under his own belt. There probably were some directly stronger players around, those who had built more pure battle characters. But if Ains was given time to prepare, he probably could have fought anyone.

Another OP Isekai Player character.

Because this falls in the instantly OP category of isekai series. I'd dare say of the modern isekai stories, that's the bigger category, not the one where the MC takes a long time to grind up to power. I count the cheat power/skill stories to belong to the OP category, even if the MC was at first seemingly weak. But the OP skill, which is usually analyse/steal enemy skills, makes their progress F1 fast.

And honestly, the Slime is basically on the same level already. He devoured one of the 4(?) dragons which are obviously some of the strongest beeings, if not the strongest beeings in that world in episode 1. Barrier aside, as if that is not telling enough already.

Veldora cooperated with Rimuru. I doubt Rimuru would have otherwise been able to store Veldora away. For that's what he did. He's merely keeping Veldora safe, not digesting him.

Anyway, the fear of something stopping Ains and his plans stopped being relevant in season 2. Which is exactly what I fear will happen to this anime too.

When you have an OP main character, you can't write a traditional story.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 10-23-2018, 12:00 PM
No... that didn't happen. He was considered to be extremely strong yes, but there has always been the possibility that other players were around, with their own minions and own bases.Sure, it's possible there are secretly stronger beings, but he's still stronger than any being has ever even heard of on this planet.

And honestly, the Slime is basically on the same level already. He devoured one of the 4(?) dragons which are obviously some of the strongest beeings, if not the strongest beeings in that world in episode 1. Barrier aside, as if that is not telling enough already.You can't "barrier aside", that's a HUGE mitigating factor! The dragon didn't/couldn't fight back. And he got none of the dragon's abilities for eating him.

If he ran into a demon king, or another dragon that DIDN'T have all it's powers sealed, I see no reason why it couldn't instantly destroy him. Except for the one dragon that was willing, he hasn't been able to eat anything that he didn't kill first, and I don't think any of his current powers would let him defeat a monster that strong.

KrayZ33
Tue, 10-23-2018, 02:14 PM
I am just saying that the dragon inside is an obvious powerlevel bonus in the future.
Lets not pretend that this is not a thing in anime. And if we are *really* honest, I'm willing to bet something, not a million, but lets say a box of beer and the odds are more than just a little in my favor and you probably wouldn't want to bet against it.

Heck, It's already done, even though only partly, he named Rimuru which is basically step 1 for granting him power.

If you judge Overlord from the very first episode like that, it's just fair to do the same in this one.

That's all I'm saying.

Which is one of the reasons why I said it's dangerously close to Overlord and basically on it's way, however not just there yet.

Kraco
Wed, 10-24-2018, 03:19 AM
I am just saying that the dragon inside is an obvious powerlevel bonus in the future.

What seems obvious to me is that the dragon won't stay inside him forever. They are friends, so it would be Rimuru's goal to erode the barrier and free Veldora.

I don't know why you are so adamant in comparing this to Overlord as if it was some big deal. Overlord has an OP main character, this has an OP main character, 100 other series have an OP main character. What about it?

David75
Wed, 10-24-2018, 07:58 AM
The animation in the opening shows Rimuru's human for jumping from a dragon. It seems logical to think that dragon is Veldora.

KrayZ33
Wed, 10-24-2018, 10:35 AM
What seems obvious to me is that the dragon won't stay inside him forever. They are friends, so it would be Rimuru's goal to erode the barrier and free Veldora.

I don't know why you are so adamant in comparing this to Overlord as if it was some big deal. Overlord has an OP main character, this has an OP main character, 100 other series have an OP main character. What about it?

I'm just pointing it out because they are proportionally similar and Overlord is the most recent.

The convinient "I have everything to survive this situation" buildup can get annoying, episode 4 was actually pretty bad already. The humor isn't that great. Pretty tame, nothing that would actually get you to laugh like Konosuba or something.

The great slime humbles absolutely everyone and everything, and look how kind he is and not to mention that he is loved by everyone.

It's also one of the trademarks for really, really bad Isekai stories.
Smartphone, or Deadmarch would've been one of the biggest offenders in recent seasons.

So far not much of interest has been shown in my opinion.

And I also think that part of his character as a slime is in stark contrast to how he looked/felt like as a human in episode 1.
I mean, it doesn't look like he lost his memories...(?)
So, the character design is honestly questionable too and I fear it could end up being another low quality show.

MFauli
Wed, 10-24-2018, 10:56 AM
So far not much of interest has been shown in my opinion.

The point of this show is:
- rimuru living as a slime
- rimuru bringing civilization to monsters
- rimuru eventually making contact with humans

Plenty of 'interest' happening. You know that you don't have to watch every anime, right?

Kraco
Wed, 10-24-2018, 12:56 PM
It's also one of the trademarks for really, really bad Isekai stories.

"That's just like, your opinion, man"

I don't judge series based on that. There have been really enjoyable series with OP protagonists. Like Mondaiji, to name one that got an anime. It's more challenging to write an entertaining and interesting story with an OP MC because it removes the uber traditional growing up and struggling to overcome progressively stronger opponents part, so the good stuff has to be elsewhere. But it's not impossible to write such. And it's most certainly not any trademark of a bad isekai story. However, if you find the whole setting detestable, then there's no saving it for you. Just like I don't listen to rap music, you just need to skip this large category of isekai.

KrayZ33
Wed, 10-24-2018, 12:59 PM
The point of this show is:
- rimuru living as a slime
- rimuru bringing civilization to monsters
- rimuru eventually making contact with humans

Yeah, in fact I watch at most 2-3 a season.

Still, pretty uninteresting/simple writing so far honestly and I want to call it out on that and bring it up for discussion. It's rather generic. The only difference is him being a slime, which might soon stop when he can transform into a human.
At that point, it will also stop being about him "living as a slime" and his human form and slime form will basically melt together - but even now, him being a slime is basically no different from a human with superpowers.... which is again, pretty similar to Ainz being Undead...
To put it simply, a rather minor trait because Rimuru could've looked like a wimpy human and everyone would've treated him the same way so far.

And it never really was about him making contact with humans yet, at least I don't remember him declaring that this is his goal (one of the first "creatures" he has seen were humans and he chose to not contact them)- so...that's more or less something that is inevitably going to happen at some point, but what about it?

Plenty of 'interest' happening. You know that you don't have to watch every anime, right?

This coming from you was an absolute scream btw.

you just need to skip this large category of isekai.

What category, isekai itself? Or this sub category of isekai?
Either way, pretty bad advice for me- because I enjoy isekai stories. I just think this has nothing going for it so far that would stand out compared to it's competition. And isekai stories have lots of competition since that's what the lightnovel/anime hype train has been all about in the last few years.
It's the BattleRoyale-Games of Anime. Especially when it includes the OP character-set.

They are a weeb's wet dream, but so far I don't see where this is any different from smartphone/deathmarch.

I mean, lets talk about Ryl's comment here for example

It's a big difference from the more typical mode of "nerd is great in this tailor made environment."It's a big difference from the more typical mode of "nerd is great in this tailor made environment."

Great Sage is a super cheat and acknowledged as such. There's also specific advantages that have been granted, with set-ups from the first episode.

Not only do I think he contradicts himself, because his situation is indeed tailor made (I mean, the very first episode was about how that voice tailored him into something OP because..."luck(?)" and the whole Great Sage stuff smells of a convinient plot tool that will always make something up or develop a new skill when he's stuck), but his Great Sage is hardly different from a game-wiki and thus hardly different from certain other shows I've mentioned already.
How come this is considered a better/different approach than the other shows for no reason?

He came to this new world with super abilities.. how is that any different from some gaming nerd who is stuck with his OP maxlevel game character in a world that is loosely based on the game he played.

Just my opinion on this show so far.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-24-2018, 01:41 PM
I agree with Krayz with all the weaknesses of slime. I read the novels and thought the same. Tailor-made sounds about right.

That said, it is better than Overlord in the aspect that Rimuru is still in the process of building his home, while Ainz started out pretty much complete.

Kraco
Wed, 10-24-2018, 02:54 PM

The major category where the MC is more or less instantly OP or with a skill that allows them to level up at breakneck speed (analyse/steal skill). Half of isekai these days belong to this class. If not more.

KrayZ33
Wed, 10-24-2018, 03:52 PM
The major category where the MC is more or less instantly OP or with a skill that allows them to level up at breakneck speed (analyse/steal skill). Half of isekai these days belong to this class. If not more.

So...?

That doesn't mean I have to skip the whole isekai stuff, or even just the OP character isekai stuff.
Even among that sub genre are some that are rather enjoyable.

This just proofs my point about how this show is struggling to find it's own kind of identity.

Kraco
Wed, 10-24-2018, 04:11 PM
I just got an impression from your earlier posts that you don't appreciate instantly OP main characters (in isekai). But apparently that was a wrong impression. My bad. Although that being said, I don't quite understand what your complaint was all about then.

KrayZ33
Wed, 10-24-2018, 04:26 PM
Just that the story is very simlar to others and that it's unique tweaks, like MC being a slime, are so far completely underused.

I don't understand the point of him being a slime, for example.
I also disagree that this story is supposedly not about him getting powerups. It's completely alien to me because his predator ability exists because it's a show about exactly that.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 10-24-2018, 06:22 PM
The great slime humbles absolutely everyone and everythingEverything? He's gone up against some assorted vermin, a few wolves, and a band of thugs.

Either way, pretty bad advice for me- because I enjoy isekai stories.I think they're mostly just a lazy excuse to make their protagonists genre-savvy.

MFauli
Wed, 10-24-2018, 07:58 PM
This coming from you was an absolute scream btw.

Tbqh I had entertained the possibility that your entire reason for shitting on this anime is that I severely criticized Overlord S3 and somehow you can't accept that I like this anime that you find much lesser. Quite childish if so.

That aside, calling this anime 'generic' strikes me as extremely odd. I watch a lot of isekai anime and this one very much feels unique. It has the slime-hero, which already is a huge differentiation. But following from that, it doesn't put emphasis on humans, but instead explores monsters beyond the typical 'they exist for the hero to kill'. Then there's also the plot shake-up where Rimuru befriended an, as far as I understood, evil dragon that was sealed away by a hero. That's hilarious on its own.

Those are 3 significant unique traits that imo make it impossible to call this anime 'generic'. If you don't like it, that's fine, but it's rather, again, childish to put false-nomer to something just to get a rile out of others.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 10-24-2018, 11:32 PM
Tas far as I understood, evil dragonI didn't get that impression. He even said that him destroying that city was a misunderstanding/confusion on his part.

KrayZ33
Thu, 10-25-2018, 12:14 AM
Tbqh I had entertained the possibility that your entire reason for shitting on this anime is that I severely criticized Overlord S3 and somehow you can't accept that I like this anime that you find much lesser. Quite childish if so.

First of all, I'm actually using arguments - what you are doing when you bash on a show, is something completely different.
And I'm not a fan of Overlord S3 either, because the low production value pretty much killed that series for me.

And to come back at your statements about how unique Slime is, it really doesn't help making stuff up.

for example this

But following from that, it doesn't put emphasis on humans, but instead explores monsters beyond the typical 'they exist for the hero to kill'.

This series literally started with him being a Slime killing monsters to gain their abilities.
As for building the goblin city, that's pretty much exactly what Overlord was all about.
It's very similar to what the Lizardmen Arc, but that Arc in Overlord was/is considered to be one of Overlords weakest arcs.
Slime doesn't do anything special here. It's not "deep" or anything and honestly, it doesn't even go as far as you make it out to be in the first place.. what kind of exploration was done so far - how was/is it different from what Ainz is doing.
He just goes to a village he stumbled upon on accident, helps them out will, and that's it. - oh gosh, that's exactly how Overlord S1 episode 1-2 played out.

It has the slime-hero, which already is a huge differentiation.

another point that is ridicilous. Him being a slime hero had no affect on the story so far, he could've been a wimpy ass human and every monster and human he encountered so far would've acted the same.
The goblins, the thugs, the random monsters attacking him, even Tempest.

Then there's also the plot shake-up where Rimuru befriended an, as far as I understood, evil dragon that was sealed away by a hero. That's hilarious on its own.

The dragon isn't evil. It's not like we'll see them fighting each other in the end - he'll quite obviously act up as his lap-dog. And what about it is a plot shake-up... lol. It didn't shake up anything so far.

Kraco
Thu, 10-25-2018, 01:29 AM
Just that the story is very simlar to others and that it's unique tweaks, like MC being a slime, are so far completely underused.

Him being a slime hero had no affect on the story so far, he could've been a wimpy ass human and every monster and human he encountered so far would've acted the same.

In my opinion it has been used for the jokes a number of times. Also since he's building a town for monsters (goblins and monster wolves), it ought to be essential for him to be a monster as well. Traditionally humans have large/strong kingdoms only for humans, plus some very human like humanoids like elves (and animal eared "humans" in Japanese stories). So, it's typically humans vs monsters. It might be difficult indeed for a human to lead monsters confidently under such circumstances where humans are viewed as natural enemies. However, he's a slime, which is a very well-known monster to be killed on sight by humans.

I also disagree that this story is supposedly not about him getting powerups. It's completely alien to me because his predator ability exists because it's a show about exactly that.

I tried to explain before that my stance is such that the special stealing skills power that typically only exist for a single person in the universe, the MC, is more or less the same as being instantly OP from the beginning. Just consider this series: He began basically weak, apart from the resistances, but after the first episode he was already stronger than many fearsome monsters. That's quite different from the traditional approach where the MC needs to begin from zero and believably grind themselves up to prominence, following RPG traditions. I have a bit of dislike for the steal skill power.

As for building the goblin city, that's pretty much exactly what Overlord was all about.
It's very similar to what the Lizardmen Arc, but that Arc in Overlord was/is considered to be one of Overlords weakest arcs.

Sure, this might have some technical similarities to Overlord, but in the end Ains is evil, perhaps lawful evil, whereas Rimuru is obviously a good guy. I'd say that makes a huge difference in the general atmosphere and thus comparing this to Overlord feels artificial.

Ryllharu
Thu, 10-25-2018, 02:57 AM
Not only do I think he contradicts himself, because his situation is indeed tailor made (I mean, the very first episode was about how that voice tailored him into something OP because..."luck(?)" and the whole Great Sage stuff smells of a convinient plot tool that will always make something up or develop a new skill when he's stuck), but his Great Sage is hardly different from a game-wiki and thus hardly different from certain other shows I've mentioned already.

I agree with Krayz with all the weaknesses of slime. I read the novels and thought the same. Tailor-made sounds about right.
You both completely misinterpreted how I wrote that.

"Tailor made" as in, protagonist is a loser or has some sort of confidence or mental issues IRL, but they happen to be oh so great at ______, which translates to them being super overpowered in the world they later find themselves in. Yes, I mean this includes No Game No Life, as series that actually does it well. But there's a difference between:

Their skills are literally tailor-made by the author to make them OP - Rimuru, Masaki Kenshi

and

The world they end up in is tailor-made by the author to make them OP (using their existing skills) - Kirito, Sora/Shiro, Dog Days' leads

Note that neither Overlord nor KonoSuba fall into either of those categories, so it isn't meant to be a black and white distinction.

Also, Rimuru's OP skills and form are literally a gag in the opening segment. He's an otaku that wants his PC full of eroge drowned, which is how he ends up with Great Sage because the "world force" for lack of a better term only picked up on "PC" and reinterpreted it. Heat resistance because he felt hot as he bled out, and so on.

edit:
Youjo Senki is actually a combination and an inversion of the latter. Tanya's personality of a ruthless office manager and knowledge makes her exceptionally vicious and successful in the world she ends up in, but literally the entire world is against her.

MFauli
Thu, 10-25-2018, 05:28 AM
First of all, I'm actually using arguments - what you are doing when you bash on a show, is something completely different.

Yeah, I know when I've hit a nerve, lol.

Your opinion is yours, but I vehemently disagree. Rimuru being a slime has had lots of unique scenes that wouldn't have worked with a human character (they way he propels himself on a water surface was great - would you have a human Rimuru ... fart hard for that effect? :/)
And the dragon was clearly presented as evil. "it was a misunderstanding" - said every evil dragon in the history of dragons.

I still don't understand why you're hellbent to compare this anime to Overlord. If you watched as many isekai anime as you claimed, you'd know that there is a lot of variation outside of the cheaper, ecchi ones. Slime, so far, feels like a quality isekai show.

Kraco
Thu, 10-25-2018, 08:53 AM
And the dragon was clearly presented as evil. "it was a misunderstanding" - said every evil dragon in the history of dragons.

No, he wasn't. His dealing with Rimuru didn't look evil at all. I'd say he's neutral. Maybe chaotic neutral, which would easily lead to levelling a city or two, but even that wouldn't be required.

MFauli
Thu, 10-25-2018, 09:11 AM
No, he wasn't. His dealing with Rimuru didn't look evil at all. I'd say he's neutral. Maybe chaotic neutral, which would easily lead to levelling a city or two, but even that wouldn't be required.

Wat. It looked super evil. The only reason Rimuru is alive is because of the dragon being trapped behind a magic shield. Then they became friends because the evil dragon turned out tsundere and Rimuru's easygoing attitude.

Had humans found the dragon, this would have played very differently.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 10-25-2018, 10:08 AM
I have a bit of dislike for the steal skill power.Not me, I LOVE that shit.

Everything should be Mega Man!

KrayZ33
Thu, 10-25-2018, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I know when I've hit a nerve, lol.

If you are talking about this discussion in particular, then no.. that's just my aversion I have against you as a person in general.
The origin of that is based on statements like these:

Rimuru being a slime has had lots of unique scenes that wouldn't have worked with a human character (they way he propels himself on a water surface was great - would you have a human Rimuru ... fart hard for that effect? :/)

This is so far beside the point that I struggle having a discussion with you and it's tiresome.

MFauli
Mon, 10-29-2018, 01:21 PM
Ep 5 is out
-----

Kinda felt very slow. Shouldn't have taken an entire episode to resolve the court. Maa ii ...

The king is kinda dumb. If he saw such value in Rimuru's powers, he could have asked his forgiveness. Wouldn't have had to do it in public either.

Still, I love the village building. Now we've got goblins, wolves and dwarfs. Elves next pls? ;o
And I totally want a sim-game of this style. "SimCity: Isekai Edition". Slowly building an ever more flourishing town, sending adventurers on quests, expanding the town's diversity, negotiating with other races, town defense management, and even having an avatar to walk through town and imteract with inhabitants (and woo some elf girls!). Kinda like "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King" (Wii) , except much grander and complex.

David75
Mon, 10-29-2018, 02:15 PM
The king felt the immense power Rimuru has and his reference to Veldora is right on many levels. Veldora is with Rimuru. And most of Rimuru's power/energy source comes from the cave that was infused with Veldora's power.
So his reaction is to be very cautious he's not against a high level enemy. After all he senses an incredible power from Rimuru, but Rimuru is confortable enough to let himself be captured, emprisoned and tolerate that farce of a trial.
Also, the king feels a bit threatened when he sees one of his former men he highly respects turning to slime Rimuru. There's some charisma and leader power threatening his own.
So he's cautious, lets the monster exit the city and starts some surveillance.
I wonder if at some points he decides to attack Rimuru's village, that would create some opposition, always nice in a story.

Kraco
Mon, 10-29-2018, 02:39 PM
He wanted to give the corrupt noble, Vesta, a lesson. That's why he said Vesta's selfish actions led to losing a potentially high valuable ally. However, the later scene, in my opinion, clearly indicated he considers Rimuru right now a threat. He was probably almost happy he could use this path to get Rimuru out of his kingdom so smoothly. Even though Rimuru behaved, you could say it's even more scary. Only if you are feeling very safe and secure, you can just go with the flow openly. Like Rimuru showed absolutely no signs that he would be worried about severe sentences/punishments, like David said, as if he could break free and cause chaos any time he wanted. Not that it would be easy to try to judge a slime's feelings.

Ryllharu
Mon, 10-29-2018, 08:16 PM
The true punishment was always for Vesta. He even took the thing Vesta most wanted from him, by stating he was never to show his face to the king ever again, but didn't exile him. He said it pretty clearly, he waited years for Vesta to admit he was the one at fault, and framed Kaijin.

I think the king knew Kaijin was going to leave no matter what. The insultingly impossible task Vesta gave him was sure to drive him away one way or another. Frustration, exhaustion, or forced disgrace. The whole trial was a farce, designed to give Vesta one last chance to repent. He didn't.

It's also noteworthy that Vesta was shocked when Kaijin was exiled. That's not the outcome he wanted. He wanted Kaijin around, he's a huge asset to the kingdom. Like Kaijin said, Vesta is a good man at heart, who believes in the good of the kingdom. He just lost his way for some reason. Maybe it was resentment, maybe it was frustration, maybe he just lost his way.

Rimuru was just there kind of, when you take a step back and look at this as mostly being about dwarf politics, which it was.

Rimuru's existence alone unnerves the king, not the fact that Kaijin is going to the slime. A slime shouldn't be that powerful. Shouldn't be able to produce perfect potions when their research has gotten them only close after decades. Someone that powerful shouldn't have appeared without his spy network knowing about Rimuru before he came to the city unannounced. And from the earlier episode...everyone know Veladora disappeared. Add all those pieces together, and any competent leader who is labeled the Hero King, and has been around as long as he has should be suitably freaked the fuck out.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 10-30-2018, 06:28 PM
And I totally want a sim-game of this style. "SimCity: Isekai Edition". Slowly building an ever more flourishing town, sending adventurers on quests, expanding the town's diversity, negotiating with other races, town defense management, and even having an avatar to walk through town and imteract with inhabitants (and woo some elf girls!). Kinda like "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King" (Wii) , except much grander and complex.I guarantee that games like that already exist.

David75
Mon, 11-05-2018, 12:42 PM
Ep 6 out
----

It picks up some speed it seems.
So plots can go from political: new village with some organisation, love relationship with Shizu, and a formidable opponent with that mage who was able to summon Shizu on his own when it's difficult for 30 mages to do so. And he also has other summons since he placed that fire one in Shizu.

We still need to get more characters, so some acceleration is still needed.

Kraco
Mon, 11-05-2018, 01:39 PM
Shizu isn't any weakling, but of course nothing compared to a slime.

Rimuru needs still more experts. The goblins themselves are little more than beasts as far as civilization goes. Although they can now learn, after evolving, there's nothing to learn if there's nobody teaching them.

David75
Mon, 11-05-2018, 02:36 PM
I'm starting to think he reincarnated as a babe boob cushion, I forgot about that earlier :o

KrayZ33
Mon, 11-05-2018, 02:55 PM
So... shouldn't the dragon inside Rimuru act up having the boobs of his vanquisher so close to him.

The powerlevel curve went up alot in a single episode.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 11-05-2018, 07:51 PM
How does she know what video games are if she's from WW2 era?

MFauli
Mon, 11-05-2018, 08:57 PM
This anime is so nice. Just fun to watch.

Only thing I'm concerned about: is Rimuru gonna change into a girl? :/ Because Shizu looks like his human form with black hair.

DQ1 released in 1986, so ... hm. Better latter reveal another summon who told her. Pretty bad oversight otherwise.

Ryllharu
Mon, 11-05-2018, 09:20 PM

Her line states it very clearly. "I've never played it, but I heard about it from someone in my country." That was immediately after Rimuru started to ask her if she was from Japan, she actually interrupts him as Rimuru begins to say "Nihon."

The implications are super obvious:

She's not the only Summon from Japan.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 11-06-2018, 12:40 AM
Her line states it very clearly. "I've never played it, but I heard about it from someone in my country." That was immediately after Rimuru started to ask her if she was from Japan, she actually interrupts him as Rimuru begins to say "Nihon."

The implications are super obvious:

She's not the only Summon from Japan.The other obvious implication:

How obnoxious must that friend be if he talks about DQ so much that a girl that's never seen a video game can recognize DQ quotes...

shinta|hikari
Tue, 11-06-2018, 12:53 AM
nevermind.

Kraco
Tue, 11-06-2018, 02:14 AM
How obnoxious must that friend be if he talks about DQ so much that a girl that's never seen a video game can recognize DQ quotes...

In the ED she's with a bunch of brats. If those are the other Japanese summons, it'd be no wonder if one or two of them talked about games non-stop after getting summoned into a world that was like a fantasy game.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 11-12-2018, 01:17 PM

---

All of that was cool.

David75
Mon, 11-12-2018, 01:21 PM
Maybe a little slow, or off rythm. But it might be me.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 11-12-2018, 02:38 PM
So are Shizu's fire powers just gone now that Rimuru ate Ifrit?

Kraco
Mon, 11-12-2018, 04:35 PM
100% fire resistance means Rimuru will never be able to enjoy sauna. Life not worth living. Actually, I guess it's not even completely a joke since for a Japanese onsen should be the same thing?

Ryllharu
Mon, 11-12-2018, 09:00 PM
Thermal Fluctuation Resistance.

So rapid changes in temperature. Fire attacks, and presumably also freeze attacks (not ice, that's physical as shown).

Baths and Onsen are not off the table yet! A shower ahead of time might allow for it.

David75
Tue, 11-13-2018, 12:45 AM
Veldora will regain some fire power when he beats and assimilates Ifrit.
Quite a nice match, dragon x fire demon

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-13-2018, 01:50 AM
Fire attacks, and presumably also freeze attacks (not ice, that's physical as shown).

He's also got a body that help him resists physical attacks, since he didn't want to be stabbed to death again.

OP as fuck.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 11-13-2018, 05:59 AM
100% fire resistance means Rimuru will never be able to enjoy sauna. Life not worth living. Actually, I guess it's not even completely a joke since for a Japanese onsen should be the same thing?I dunno. His resistance just means he doesn't take damage from heat. Not that he can't feel it.

Kraco
Tue, 11-13-2018, 06:59 AM
I dunno. His resistance just means he doesn't take damage from heat. Not that he can't feel it.

If it's a super convenient resistance like that, being able to intelligently deduce what is damage and what is not. Of course that could be the case since this is one of the ultra OP MC series where the MCs typically have few inconveniences.

David75
Mon, 11-19-2018, 12:23 PM
Ep8 out

Shizu already told us she's been around for decades. So the idea that Ifrit was her life support power source didn't come as a surprise.
So much jokes lost with that "eat me" phrase. But not the right moment.
Now we know where he got his body data to get to his OP form.
We're still missing 5 characters from the ED.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 11-19-2018, 12:44 PM
Huh. I thought Shizu WAS the hero that sealed Veldora.

Shizu already told us she's been around for decades. So the idea that Ifrit was her life support power source didn't come as a surprise.
I just assumed she didn't age because she was a summon.

David75
Mon, 11-19-2018, 12:50 PM
Pavlovian reflex in my case. So many stories with that kind of symbiosis.

MFauli
Mon, 11-19-2018, 04:28 PM
Help me: Was Veldora absorbed differently from Shizu? After all, Veldora still is alive, yet Shizu apparently is dead?

Kraco
Mon, 11-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Kind of a boring episode, and they even included recaps in it.

Veldora ought to be in just for safekeeping. In the first place, I doubt Rimuru, with the power he had back then, could have devoured Veldora so simply. The other possibility is that Veldora really was devoured the same (with his own cooperation), but the seal is actually protecting him from being digested. So, if the seal eroded enough, I guess Rimuru would then quickly vomit Veldora out. Who knows.

The plague doctor mask dude, who's trying to manipulate the orc, unsurprisingly got the voice actor who's always in the roles of villains trying to manipulate others.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 11-19-2018, 06:29 PM
Veldora and Ifrit seems to have both been absorbed "alive" which is why they both seem to "live" inside Rimuru.

Everything else he's absorbed has been dead. Which I assume is why nothing except Ifrit has encountered Veldora.

MFauli
Mon, 11-19-2018, 11:48 PM
But he wanted to have Shiziu slumber inside him forever and dream about good things. That's what has me confused. I mean, he could have just swallowed her before she died (?), regenerating her body inside his slime dimension :o

DarthEnderX
Tue, 11-20-2018, 12:58 AM
But he wanted to have Shiziu slumber inside him forever and dream about good things. That's what has me confused.I'm pretty sure he was just being poetic. They even showed her going to her mom, who would not be inside Rimuru.

I mean, he could have just swallowed her before she died (?), regenerating her body inside his slime dimension :oI thought it was weird they didn't seem to try and give her any healing potions. Even lowbie adventurer assumed that was a thing they'd do.

Anyway, the series has a direction now. He's got his human form, and now he's set on his path towards what is likely the series main antagonist.

David75
Tue, 11-20-2018, 02:55 AM
I'm pretty sure the mood for that scene was that Shizue wanted to let go of her life. And Rimuru respects that choice.
She hates that world, she does not wish to live longer by any means.
I'm pretty sure she's dead by now. But it's entirely possible the predator function kept her spirit in store somewhere.
And since Shizue is Rimuru's soulmate, It might be true for next reincarnation.
Shizue's spirit stored in Rimuru, allows for a synchronised reincarnation. When Rimuru dies, Both their souls will be able to reincarnate at the same time and probably in the same world.
But It's too stereotypical maybe?
Ifrit power her life support was too...

Kraco
Tue, 11-20-2018, 05:27 AM
Shizu most certainly died and was digested. That's why Rimuru can take her form, more or less, now. Just like he can take the wolf form after eating a wolf, etc. This whole episode was spent on Shizu's last moments/wake, so it would be beyond ridiculous if she didn't even die. She's dead.

Ryllharu
Tue, 11-20-2018, 05:00 PM
It was more important to her that she not die on their current world, but died within Rimuru, who's Predator stomach is presumably a different dimension or something.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 11-20-2018, 11:33 PM
How they should have handled this was this:

In the last episode, Shizu basically transformed into Ifrit, but when Rimuru ate Ifrit, Shizu was left lying on the ground for some reason.

What they SHOULD have done is just made it so that when Rimuru ate Ifrit, he ate Shizu also, and then had the entire conversation that took place at the beginning of this episode take place inside Rimuru's head instead of with her lying in bed.

KrayZ33
Wed, 11-21-2018, 05:34 AM
I didn't like that episode too much

It introduced so many characters, yet I'm completely uninterested in them.

The Demonlord dude, okay - he's fine. That's at least a goal and something that keeps the plot rolling forward.

But all of a sudden there are plenty of "otherworld"-kids, then there is the mysterious hero but not only that, there is also the girl that is traveling with the hero who was not mentioned or shown until Shizu was dreaming about her. Then there is this guild-grandmaster kid-orphan, that seems to have a really important position and she was like "oh, I know that dude btw".

I don't know how I feel about mentioning so many characters on the side. It's almost as if they felt the need to put at least some amount of story development/world building into it and if they did I wonder why they even went through the trouble of dedicating a whole episode to her dying and talking.

It almost felt like a preview of characters to come.

MFauli
Wed, 11-21-2018, 07:15 AM
I didn't like that episode too much

It introduced so many characters, yet I'm completely uninterested in them.

Outside of the demon lord nobody was introduced. New factions were merely mentioned to expand scope, that's all.

Not sure what's there to be 'interested' about characters we haven't even seen yet. Imo I'm pretty excited about the other summoned humans. And the hero had already been introduced long enough.

KrayZ33
Wed, 11-21-2018, 07:59 AM
How was the demon lord introduced but all the other characters not?
introduced as in "this person exists and he has a name, thus he is relevant to the story at some point".

and why I should be interested in them? Because they've shown them - why show them otherwise?
Plus, so far we/I've assumed the hero was Shizu. At least they looked extremely similar in the flashback in the earlier episodes and she was wearing that very unique mask - not sure what else gave it away that she isn't the one other than her saying that the hero, which isn't her, exists. Especially since she used fire magic in it....

MFauli
Wed, 11-21-2018, 09:07 AM
I mean that's just me, but when in Naruto we found out there's actually an entire organization behind that Itachi- and shark-guy, it got me excited. Same for the reveal that there is a whole group of summoned humans.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 11-22-2018, 05:37 PM
It almost felt like a preview of characters to come.Because that's what it was?

KrayZ33
Thu, 11-22-2018, 06:04 PM
Yeah but I expected more out of that than 2s screentime for each of them as if it was an opening... and also more than just a mere visual hint that this character exists.

It didn't add anything to the episode imho and it really needed something.

tl:dr

such previews are 'bleh'

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-23-2018, 01:32 AM
And people accuse me of nitpicking.

KrayZ33
Fri, 11-23-2018, 03:29 AM
Did you enjoy that episode as a whole? I found it to be the most boring so far. (then I again, it's not like the rest *amazed* me so far, but still) Do we know anything about the characters that got "introduced" now? Or their motives? Why the hell did the demon lord summon a crippled child from another dimension/world for Ifrit to posess? Does he simply suck at summoning?

It's not like this doesn't happen in other shows too btw. I dislike such episodes in general.

It felt like the writer/director had several checkboxes he had to finish.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-23-2018, 05:53 AM
I actually didn't like this one much compared to the previous ones.

For someone who is his "fated one", Shizu was pretty low impact. If Rimuru didn't know beforehand that she was his fateful person, this would have felt even more awkward.

The only thing going for her is that she's Japanese, which only really serves to drive one point home: That she was forcefully summoned, has bad memories of this place and doesn't want to rest here.

Veldora feels more like the fated one than Shizu.

Ryllharu
Fri, 11-23-2018, 02:13 PM
I would have thought they'd combine this episode and the last one, but they stretched it out instead...

I'd think less about who they hinted at or introduced, and focus on what they introduced instead, because that was a pretty big deal.

- Demon Lord(s) are a thing.
- WTF is an "Orc Disaster"?
- Rimuru is a reincarnation, and fairly powerful, which is different from a summon.
- There are so many summons, that there was an entire school that Shizu taught at.
- What country is that school in, and how far away is it? The idiot trio weren't aware of it.
- Who is summoning them, and why? Is summoning slavery, or are they just abandoned if they don't meet potential?
- Where is the Jura Forest (the goblin village) in relationship to these other nations? They do show a map, but I don't think Rimuru has seen it, just the audience. Where is the castle that Shizu used to guard, and where is it in relation to the Jura Forest? Shizu headed with the three idiots because they were going the same way she was.
- The three idiots are going to be asked where they got mastercraft armor from.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-23-2018, 03:50 PM
For someone who is his "fated one", Shizu was pretty low impact.Other than being the source of the human form he's probably going to use for the rest of the series...

The only thing going for her is that she's JapaneseHer being the only other person he's met from his world is kind of a huge thing.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-24-2018, 01:09 AM
Other than being the source of the human form he's probably going to use for the rest of the series...

But is that really that fateful? What if she didn't turn up? Would Rimuru be without a human form forever, or would he take on the next human corpse he was able to eat?

In a world where monsters readily exist, albeit shunned, this isn't really that big a deal.

As for the Japanese thing... so she knows his language, and may have read the same history book chapter up to 1940s. They know a quote from a video game...

Those are hardly reasons to form a "fateful" bond over. She's a senpai who's done this transversing-across-worlds thing before him. Great.

Perhaps 'fateful' should be interpreted as "Shizu changed Rimuru's fate by giving him a purpose in this world(1) other than waffling around, figuring out Veldora's seal and helping whoever happened to be nearby." But that's about as fateful as a quest giver.

And certainly much less than Veldora.

(1) By dying and saying "Leon C. fucked me up, he's out there somewhere".

KrayZ33
Sat, 11-24-2018, 05:51 AM
Her being the only other person he's met from his world is kind of a huge thing.

But how so. She gave him information, but why isn't his fated person the kid who used the game-quote?
A child from 70 years ago has roughly nothing in common with an adult from 2018.
She also lived far longer in this new world than she did in her original one. You can hardly even call her an otherworlder.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-24-2018, 06:03 AM
I think of it the other way around.

To Rimuru, Shizu is the first other Japanese person she met, and really opened Rimuru's eyes to the world. Rimuru was already set on building a settlement after meeting the dwarves. Shizu just explained more of the stakes in their world. The idiot trio could have provided the same. A significant influence, but ultimately not that much of one.

But to Shizu, Rimuru was her salvation. Much bigger deal. From her perspective? Absolutely her fated one.

KrayZ33
Sat, 11-24-2018, 06:39 AM
I guess that's true.
From Shizu's point of view, it makes soooo much more sense

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-25-2018, 03:14 AM
Those are hardly reasons to form a "fateful" bond over. She's a senpai who's done this transversing-across-worlds thing before him. Great.

Perhaps 'fateful' should be interpreted as "Shizu changed Rimuru's fate by giving him a purpose in this world(1) other than waffling around, figuring out Veldora's seal and helping whoever happened to be nearby." But that's about as fateful as a quest giver.
What does "fateful" even mean in the first place?

I have Pokemon I got from Gamestop that are "fateful" encounters.

Hardly lifechanging.

I think of it the other way around.

To Rimuru, Shizu is the first other Japanese person she met, and really opened Rimuru's eyes to the world. Rimuru was already set on building a settlement after meeting the dwarves. Shizu just explained more of the stakes in their world. The idiot trio could have provided the same. A significant influence, but ultimately not that much of one.

But to Shizu, Rimuru was her salvation. Much bigger deal. From her perspective? Absolutely her fated one.
*thumbs up*

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-25-2018, 05:06 AM
What does "fateful" even mean in the first place?

I have Pokemon I got from Gamestop that are "fateful" encounters.

Hardly lifechanging.

then it's not a fateful encounter.
I mean, just because marketing uses it for the purpose of selling pokemans doesn't mean the word is used in the correct situation.

For Rimuru this was hardly fateful, as mentioned earlier, any "questgiver" could've provided the same change in attitude/mission.

For Shizu hower, Rimuru was indeed the person that could and did change her fate.

Looking at it like that means it would probably have been better if not Rimuru, but the idiot trio and her visited a gipsy.

David75
Mon, 11-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Ep 9 out.

--------
Now we have the full cast, at least Rimuru's side. He only needs to name those ogres and they'll level up from a pretty good level.

I guess we have one swordman oponent missing from the OP now.

Rimuru needs to be careful, that old ogre still managed to land a hit passing through his guard and powers. And he even aknowledged his knowledge.

At least he got nice wariors.

Kraco
Mon, 11-26-2018, 04:54 PM
Rimuru needs to be careful, that old ogre still managed to land a hit passing through his guard and powers. And he even aknowledged his knowledge.

At least he got nice wariors.

It's not like Rimuru would have fought seriously, though. He needed better people in any case. Right now the goblins and wolves aren't really strong enough to fight serious opponents. It's no good if the village only has Rimuru when shit hits the fan. If he's elsewhere, there wouldn't be anyone around to welcome a bit more difficult unwelcome friends.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 11-27-2018, 01:36 AM
Everything about Rimuru exploring his human form was gold.

"My son didn't make it!"

You just know he was immediately planning to have sex with his own clones, too, before deciding it would be disrespectful to Shizu.

He needs to, like, absorb his clothes or something, cause it's inconvenient to lose his clothes every time he takes slime form.

The Oni-ass Ogres are cool. Maybe he can get himself a katana now. Also, if the old guy is some kind of monster-expert, maybe he can advise Rimuru on cool monsters he can eat.

David75
Tue, 11-27-2018, 10:53 AM
Totally agree with all the above.

For last comment, yup Rimuru can level up a lot with the sage ogre, but pretty sure he can get bonuses from the other ogres like magic with the Princess he was wary of.

MFauli
Tue, 11-27-2018, 09:17 PM
Most important news from this episode imo was that Rimuru gotta be careful after all. Even if he didn't go all out (although he said he went full power when he created the black flame), these ogres were too dangerous to his comfort zone. Once he names them and they get a proportional power boost like the goblins, they'll be pretty much second only to Veldora. I'm sure even Rimuru is weary about that, because at the end of the episode he was all like 'names ... huh ...', which didn't give the impression that he's all that eager to throw that kind of power up their way.

Also, cutest ogres in fiction. Forget about Shrek.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 11-27-2018, 10:31 PM
Ogres can't do shit against him. If you can name them, you are far more powerful than they are. Demon Lords however...

MFauli
Wed, 11-28-2018, 12:38 AM
Ogres can't do shit against him. If you can name them, you are far more powerful than they are. Demon Lords however...

Is this established? That the one doing the naming will still be stronger than the named one?

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-28-2018, 12:43 AM
Wouldn't it make absolutely no sense otherwise? You are naming them and thus giving them power. How can you give them something you don't even have?

Kraco
Wed, 11-28-2018, 02:28 AM
Most important news from this episode imo was that Rimuru gotta be careful after all. Even if he didn't go all out (although he said he went full power when he created the black flame), these ogres were too dangerous to his comfort zone.

He never went full power. Shooting flames up in the sky means little, aside from intimidation. If the ogres were intimidated, it means they recognised they are nothing compared to Rimuru. Going all out means he'd put 100% in attack, defense, and strategy. The ogres would be dead and eaten.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-28-2018, 02:42 AM
Full power means Water Blade, because unless the opponent can vaporise it or is impervious to being cut, Water Blade is just so cheap and effective at dicing you up.

Rimuru's only ever used waterblade against things he intends on killing.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 11-28-2018, 11:49 AM
Full power means Water Blade, because unless the opponent can vaporise it or is impervious to being cut, Water Blade is just so cheap and effective at dicing you up.Or you could just dodge it.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-28-2018, 12:37 PM
Or you could just dodge it.

Yes. Yes you can.

Hardly an immunity however.

Ryllharu
Wed, 11-28-2018, 05:09 PM
Is this established? That the one doing the naming will still be stronger than the named one?

Wouldn't it make absolutely no sense otherwise? You are naming them and thus giving them power. How can you give them something you don't even have?

It has not established or explained. Just roll with it.

But since the monsters Rimuru names evolve, there's some kind of system to it. It just hasn't been explained so far. There's no frame of reference for comparison because outside of Veladora naming Rimuru, everyone who has been named, has been named by Rimuru.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 11-28-2018, 06:34 PM
But since the monsters Rimuru names evolve, there's some kind of system to it. It just hasn't been explained so far. There's no frame of reference for comparison because outside of Veladora naming Rimuru, everyone who has been named, has been named by Rimuru.Well, and that orc at the end of last episode.

Kraco
Mon, 12-03-2018, 04:27 PM
Episode 10

- - -- - -

And that was the story of how Rimuru gained a very comfortable hat.

MFauli
Mon, 12-03-2018, 04:54 PM
I love the lizardmen. Finally a lively, cheerful depiction. Most media portays them as coldblooded, slow, emotionally passive. This bunch is the opposite.

Also brunette lizardgirl ❤

The ogre transformations are disappointing, though. Liked them better before. They basically got more human like. Kinda racist. Erm, speciest?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-03-2018, 10:51 PM
The ogre transformations are disappointing, though. Liked them better before. They basically got more human like. Kinda racist. Erm, speciest?

That's how it works.

Dwarves, humans and other civilised species who are not monsters readily have names. The monsters who do get named evolve to become more human-like.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-04-2018, 12:32 AM
I dunno why, but Japan loves them some lizardmen. They're in everything.

Also brunette lizardgirlLizardmen hair is dumb.

That's how it works.

Dwarves, humans and other civilised species who are not monsters readily have names. The monsters who do get named evolve to become more human-like.I would think they would just evolve into something more powerful. Human-like or not.

But this is anime, so "more bishonen"="more powerful".

I tried looking up what a "kijin" was since I didn't recognize it as a monster type and it doesn't seem to exist outside of this series.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-04-2018, 02:10 AM
I dunno why, but Japan loves them some lizardmen. They're in everything.

Lizardmen hair is dumb.

I would think they would just evolve into something more powerful. Human-like or not.

But this is anime, so "more bishonen"="more powerful".

I tried looking up what a "kijin" was since I didn't recognize it as a monster type and it doesn't seem to exist outside of this series.

They literally went from 大鬼族 to 鬼人.. so from "Large Oni" to "Oni-men". Everything around this points to them becoming more human.

What brings to question with all this naming business, is that Rimuru gave Veldora a surname without collapsing. Now, either surnames are relatively worthless, or this was an oversight. (Yes, there were six ogres compared with one dragon, but surely that's hardly comparable)

David75
Tue, 12-04-2018, 02:47 AM
I'm fine with all ogres evolution but benimaru's.
He's the only one who feels far weaker after evolving. And his character design is bland and lacks impact now.
Even Rimuru's statement about his powersurge is not convincing at all.
You can always hope he can evolve from there and go to the gym to lift some weights :D

Shion's boob/belly cushion :o

Kraco
Tue, 12-04-2018, 04:13 AM
What brings to question with all this naming business, is that Rimuru gave Veldora a surname without collapsing. Now, either surnames are relatively worthless, or this was an oversight. (Yes, there were six ogres compared with one dragon, but surely that's hardly comparable)

Veldora already had a name (of that world). Giving him another probably means little. Otherwise you could make a goblin a godly being by giving it 10 names.

Ryllharu
Thu, 12-06-2018, 04:51 AM
@DEx: At least these lizardmen are funny.

I'm fine with all ogres evolution but benimaru's.
He's the only one who feels far weaker after evolving. And his character design is bland and lacks impact now.
Even Rimuru's statement about his powersurge is not convincing at all.
If you look at the OP, Benimaru goes from so-so fire tornado to JDAMs. Sure, he's physically less imposing, but it fits the theme Rimuru has going in their budding nation.

Rimuru is scary-powerful when her aura isn't suppressed. Gobta is a surprisingly good fighter and calvary member. Benimaru's bishonen form is a "big badaboom" type of spellsword.

David75
Thu, 12-06-2018, 10:23 AM
Understood. Somehow I didn't care for the other examples, but it's true that the author leans that way for that story.
I still like the show/world. Just a minor personal taste thing ;)

Kraco
Mon, 12-10-2018, 12:35 PM
Episode 11

- - - -

Back in the manga scanlations, the scanlator, at least at first, wrote the Dryad's name as Trainee. It was quite confusing as it made me think she's a... well, a trainee dryad.

One little detail I enjoy about this series is how the girls are always carrying Rimuru around. Being originally a guy, he would obviously have nothing against it (except when they are trying to stretch him beyond reason).

David75
Mon, 12-10-2018, 03:18 PM
Gabiru was as annoying as I thought he would be. Lacks a bit of a French accent to be even more realistic :D
Trainee was even more disturbing for me as a "trainée" is a whore...
A fine ep.

NeoCybercoin
Mon, 12-10-2018, 07:13 PM
Gobuta OP. Please nerf.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 12-10-2018, 11:25 PM
I'm glad Shion is being given a position of prominence. I was worried she was just going to be a generic member of the oni squad.

David75
Tue, 12-11-2018, 03:12 AM
Shion is magnificent MILF material... :o

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-11-2018, 05:16 AM
Gabiru was as annoying as I thought he would be.

The episode actually almost felt too long because I was waiting forever for someone to kick his ass. I didn't expect it to be Gobuta though. Good job.

David75
Tue, 12-11-2018, 05:30 AM
Yes, I guess the choice was to have a swift end to a painfully long Gabiru introduction :D
Some kind of quick relief.
And somehow being beaten by the weakest you could even call an underdog is priceless.

Kraco
Tue, 12-11-2018, 05:53 AM
I wasn't terribly surprised by the meaninglessly long Gabiru scenes. We have had similar stretching before. This show seems to be for two cours, so the director isn't feeling any hurry whatsoever.

Ryllharu
Tue, 12-11-2018, 04:08 PM
I don't mind Gabiru because he is funny.

He's comedy relief done right. He's a lizard, surrounded by yes-menlizards, arrogant as shit, and his physiology is used to play it up even more. Long-nosed snooty character with their chin high in the air? Gabiru's chin points directly at the sky. Moronic expression of shock when surpassed? Their entire species seems to have it, naturally:
https://i.imgur.com/p12sJvp.png

And they even cast Gabiru correctly. The actor is most well known for playing Satou Kazuma in KonoSuba. He's got perfect comedic timing down pat.

His character leads to great reactions like Shion crushing poor Rimuru, or the "Can I kill him~ <3" / "Sure!~ ;>" dialog.

But he's not a complete waste of space. Ranga comes out, and uses the same skill Rimuru did outside of the dwarf city in episode 4. Gabiru didn't flee, become confused, faint, nor soiled himself. So he does have some level of skill.

Kraco
Tue, 12-11-2018, 05:25 PM
Gabiru didn't flee, become confused, faint, nor soiled himself. So he does have some level of skill.

He has a name. That alone makes him worth a lot more than some random, nameless mob character. Although it did nothing to make him any smarter.

KrayZ33
Wed, 12-12-2018, 01:03 AM
Gabiru is the best thing that has happened so far.

Kazuma is probably the reason.

He also enabled more scenes for the best Oni - Shion.
Ohh.... her expression of joy when Rimuru jumped back into her arms <3.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-12-2018, 06:47 AM
He's funny at times, and he brings about some good occurrences in the story. It doesn't change the fact that I'm just hoping someone puts him in his fucking place every time he pops up however. It's closer to a necessary evil than something you enjoy seeing innately.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 12-12-2018, 05:25 PM
Gobuta might just be a prodigy. I mean, he learned the shadow step that only Rimuru and the wolves know. Got freaking poison resistance from eating Shion's cooking. Sure he looks goofy but he does train to get stronger.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 12-13-2018, 02:44 AM
I assume y'all better get used to Gabiru, because he seems like he's probably going to be one of Rimuru's minions eventually.

And somehow being beaten by the weakest you could even call an underdog is priceless.Gobta is probably NOT the weakest, though. First he was the first one to Summon his dire wolf, now he can move through shadows. He was also the one goblin that already HAD a name.

It's like Rimuru said, "Is he actually amazing?" He just assumed Gobta sucked because he's stupid.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-13-2018, 03:11 AM
Gobta didn't have a name. The one who had a name was the chief's son who died against the direwolves.

David75
Thu, 12-13-2018, 01:10 PM
@Darth: The weakest present at the scene maybe ?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-17-2018, 11:55 AM
Episode 12

---------------------------

*Sigh* Gabiru you dumb fuck, can't wait for Rimuru to save your ass.

MFauli
Mon, 12-17-2018, 12:24 PM
Gabiru, you idiot 🐧😸

David75
Mon, 12-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Gabiru was an idiot last ep.
Now he's just an inexperienced leader lacking crucial available information.
In that ep his character was more on the flamboyant side, better balanced for my tastes even if he's still a moron :D
At least he's likeable.

MFauli
Mon, 12-17-2018, 12:43 PM
They're all likable. Best lizardmen ever. But Gabiru ... sigh

I'm scared they're gonna die :(

NeoCybercoin
Mon, 12-17-2018, 01:45 PM
Well Rimuru did say something like this 'Fear not a smart enemy but a foolish ally.'
Goddamnit Gabiru

KrayZ33
Mon, 12-17-2018, 03:40 PM
That episode felt really, really short.

It's almost weird but it did almost not even advance the plot at all. Most of it, if not all of it, happened in the last 5 minutes.

Still liked it, just a little disappointed though.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-18-2018, 02:45 AM
In Gabiru's defense, he's clearly being manipulated by some evil dude.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-18-2018, 06:00 AM
In Gabiru's defense, he's clearly being manipulated by some evil dude.

His issue is that he's suggestible as fuck and goes along with whatever whispers happen around him, especially when it strokes his ego.

He clearly thinks he's better than he is. Compare that with Rimuru, who tried to get as much information as he could before making a decision.

Kraco
Tue, 12-18-2018, 07:18 AM
Gabiru is a waste of a good lizard skin better used to make wallets and purses.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-18-2018, 08:55 AM
His issue is that he's suggestible as fuck and goes along with whatever whispers happen around him, especially when it strokes his ego.

He clearly thinks he's better than he is. Compare that with Rimuru, who tried to get as much information as he could before making a decision.He also irrationally has faith in the person who gave him his name. Just like pretty much all of Rimuru's followers.

Ryllharu
Tue, 12-18-2018, 05:26 PM
I'm gonna keep my hate directed at the Clown Pervert, which is where it belongs. Gabiru's just a moron.

KrayZ33
Tue, 12-18-2018, 05:34 PM
I found Gabiru to be level headed at the beginning, in my opinion he has been pushed by everyone around him into thinking something about himself that he isn't.

Kraco
Wed, 12-19-2018, 03:25 AM
He also irrationally has faith in the person who gave him his name. Just like pretty much all of Rimuru's followers.

There's nothing irrational about Rimuru's followers. He has, very concretely, given them all a much better life, and saved their lives like the original goblin tribe's. The ogres were stragglers left behind from a genocide, but Rimuru offered them a home and a promise he would even help them defeat the orcs when the times comes. That's nothing like a random demon appearing out of nowhere, giving you more power, and then disappearing. Nothing is free. In Rimuru's case he's the boss of the town and his decision is the final one, so it's easy to see what is being required in exchange for what he offered. But what about the demon? Only an idiot would think it all happened for no reason. An idiot like Gabiru.

KrayZ33
Wed, 12-19-2018, 11:28 AM
In Rimuru's case he's the boss of the town and his decision is the final one, so it's easy to see what is being required in exchange for what he offered.

they made rimuru their boss, he never demanded anything.

so the "nothing is free" argument doesn't really fit ... because that's exactly what he offered them. Darth is right imho.

Kraco
Wed, 12-19-2018, 05:01 PM
they made rimuru their boss, he never demanded anything.

so the "nothing is free" argument doesn't really fit ... because that's exactly what he offered them. Darth is right imho.

I don't see the difference in practice. He's the unquestionable leader of the town. Even an outsider like the dryad immediately called him the ruler of the monsters. Everybody in the town lives in relative happiness considering all the progress and stability, but they are also living under Rimuru's rule. What does it change if they were the ones to make him the leader?

Besides, as far as the ogres were concerned, Rimuru's condition was already that they accept him as a superior.

KrayZ33
Wed, 12-19-2018, 06:06 PM
Rimuru came, gave them power and didn't "want" (he as a person has no interest in it) anything in return from them.. he is doing it because he is a good guy.

Demon dude came, gave them power and supposedly didn't want anything in return. ("sounds" like a good guy)

Rimuru's underlings follow him without question - the exact same thing Gabiru is doing.

The difference is that Rimuru pretended to want something while the Demon is pretending to want nothing in return.
So basically, you are saying it's odd and fishy that someone would grant him power without wanting anything in return, but we know Rimuru is (inofficially) basically doing exactly that.

If Rimuru would have said " I'll help you, you don't need to compensate me" - it would've been the exact same situation right now. His underlings would've been extremely grateful and follow him blindly.
Gabiru has (supposedly) recieved power by being given a name too... so woudln't it be normal to be grateful just like Rimuru's underlings? (especially since some amount of "behavior change" happens whenever Rimuru names someone)

tl;DR:

It's weird to say that "power comes with a price" when Rimuru would be the best example of a random act of kindness. He helped the goblins because he wanted to help, not because he wanted to be their leader.

Ryllharu
Wed, 12-19-2018, 07:00 PM
I'd be wondering who the Clown Pervert works for. Clown Pervert says he works for Gelmud, who gave Gabiru his name, but Gelmud is also the same person who wanted the ogres to join him, and also created the Orc Lord.

They were very clearly using Gabiru to ruin the lizardmen's defense. Unfortunately for them, Gabiru is actually somewhat competent as a tactical leader.

But, that isn't what Clown Pervert actually said. "I've come as a servant for Gelmud..." not 'I'm a servant of Gelmud...'

Kraco
Thu, 12-20-2018, 11:00 AM
The difference is that Rimuru pretended to want something while the Demon is pretending to want nothing in return.
So basically, you are saying it's odd and fishy that someone would grant him power without wanting anything in return, but we know Rimuru is (inofficially) basically doing exactly that.

You are missing one mountain sized difference: Rimuru is right there, whereas nobody knows where the demon is and whom he's associating with. People only know he appears occasionally to grant a name to willing individuals, but nobody knows why and for what purpose. Rimuru's reasons can at least be somewhat seen: He's living with the folks and likes to address them with names, plus he wants them to get stronger to be able to defend themselves. He even participates, very much so, in defending them. For most people (or monsters) that would be enough to tell Rimuru is a friendly entity. The demon? Uhhuh, he could be a good guy because granting a name makes the name receiver stronger, or he could be plotting something. Nobody knows and they most certainly can't ask since they don't know where to find the demon dude.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 12-21-2018, 01:42 AM
There's nothing irrational about Rimuru's followers. He has, very concretely, given them all a much better life,So did the guy that gave Gabiru his name. It made him more powerful and made him something of a celebrity among his people.

Granted, it didn't evolve him into something cool, but still, that had a huge impact on his life.

Kraco
Fri, 12-21-2018, 03:54 AM
So did the guy that gave Gabiru his name. It made him more powerful and made him something of a celebrity among his people.

Granted, it didn't evolve him into something cool, but still, that had a huge impact on his life.

Sure, but look at what it did to the lizardmen society: It ultimately led to the prince imprisoning and robbing the king and taking matters into his own hands. Only a blind man wouldn't suspect that was the demon's original purpose. If you give a single person, who's not even the ruler, a heavy dose of personal power, things have pretty good chances of going wrong in the bigger picture.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-23-2018, 02:55 AM
Sure, but look at what it did to the lizardmen society: It ultimately led to the prince imprisoning and robbing the king and taking matters into his own hands. Only a blind man wouldn't suspect that was the demon's original purpose. If you give a single person, who's not even the ruler, a heavy dose of personal power, things have pretty good chances of going wrong in the bigger picture.
Sure, but if YOU'RE his chosen one, you're incentivized to overlook that possibility.

NeoCybercoin
Mon, 12-24-2018, 12:34 PM
New Ep.

Well...it seems OP creates OP.

KrayZ33
Mon, 12-24-2018, 01:05 PM
too powerful for my liking.

if everyone is basically Dr.Manhatten, it renders everyone not as powerful absolutely useless.
Armies are now worth nothing. Nations have absolutely no power anymore, everything is on the shoulders of a few individuals.

Ryllharu
Mon, 12-24-2018, 07:08 PM
Armies are now worth nothing. Nations have absolutely no power anymore, everything is on the shoulders of a few individuals.
It's fine if you don't like it, and I agree that everyone not as powerful ends up being useless (in combat only), but we don't actually know all that much about the world as a whole.

- Tempest is obviously a burgeoning nation that we do know about. They're unknown to the rest of the world right now, they're surrounded by everything else (as shown on the map), and they have a lot of potential, but are still on the primitive side in the Tech Tree. We're still seeing only a very, very small section of a very big map. They have a handful of craftsmen. Their stability is 100% reliant on Rimuru. Their defense largely left to the Kijin and Gobta's riders. That's a lot of area, and not a lot of people to cover it.
- The Dwarven nation seems very powerful, technologically. They can build magic contraptions, robots, huge amounts of magic weapons, and so on. They have hundreds, if not thousands of craftsmen and scientists. They've been around a really long time too. Nobody fucks with them. That says something.
- Brumund, where the three morons are from, does seem rather weak. That's fair.
- We don't know a whole lot about the other human nation that Shizu came from. But we do know that they have an entire school for summoned people. So that means they likely have quite the number of people similar to Shizu, though maybe not quite as powerful because she was buffed up by a Demon Lord implanting Ifrit into her.
- We don't know a lot about the Demon Lord who summoned Shizu, but we do know that the human hero who saved her was strong as fuck. And she sealed Veladora. We don't know who she worked for or who she was devoted to, but we can safely assume that she was protecting humanity in general.
- There's at least three more places shown on the map, that we know nothing about.

A few shadowy people don't seem like they make much of a difference. We've got one creepy dude in a castle, the clown pervert, and Gelmud, who is clearly far weaker than Rimuru when naming other creatures. FFS, Treyni drove him off pretty easily, even if Clown Pervert was somewhat unfazed.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-25-2018, 12:16 AM
It was weird for Ranga to evolve again for basically no reason. It's not like he was renamed or blessed ate something magic. Feels like an ass-pull.

Gelmud is way less cool than I thought he'd be.

Also, Rimuru keeps calling Souei a hotter. I wonder if his feminine human form is starting to effect his preferences.

KrayZ33
Tue, 12-25-2018, 05:02 AM
I think Ranga evolved because he killed 100.000 Orcs and "leveled up" - or something?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-25-2018, 05:12 AM
I'm mildly surprised those orcs don't have horns, and aren't actually stronger than what they're depicted to be.

They've eaten a bunch of ogres already after all.

MFauli
Tue, 12-25-2018, 08:15 AM
too powerful for my liking.

if everyone is basically Dr.Manhatten, it renders everyone not as powerful absolutely useless.

Agreed. It's a problem in too many anime, but It's especially visible here. Worse than playing a Musou-game lol

Buffalobiian
Tue, 12-25-2018, 08:26 AM
Kijin> Ogres > Gobuta(/?Orc General) > Gabiru

Looking at this, those orcs should definitely be stronger after eating some bloody ogres.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-25-2018, 07:29 PM
Well, there's a couple possible explanations.

Either A. The orcs only ate a bunch of generic ogres and so only gained very generic ogre abilities instead of all the very specialized ninja/samurai/sorcerer abilities that Rimuru's Kijin have.

Or B. The orcs' eating skill only gives them generic racial abilities of the races they eat, and not the specific learned skills of the individuals they eat.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-26-2018, 01:08 AM
It was a village of 600 ogres, so they ate like 580 of them. They're allowed to be generic, but the fact that it didn't transform them into beings as strong as ogres is disappointing.

Unless ogres fighting in marshes are greatly outmatched by lizardmen, which would be even more disappointing for ogres.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 12-26-2018, 04:06 AM
It was a village of 600 ogres, so they ate like 580 of them. They're allowed to be generic, but the fact that it didn't transform them into beings as strong as ogres is disappointing.How do we know that it didn't?

All of Rimuru's ogres were probably unique badasses to begin with. For all we know, the orcs are exactly as strong as a generic ogre.

Unless ogres fighting in marshes are greatly outmatched by lizardmen, which would be even more disappointing for ogres.Well, Gabiru's plan did revolve around hit-and-run tactics and not going toe-to-toe with them. So that might be exactly the case, that without the webbed feet, the orcs couldn't catch the lizardmen and make use of their superior strength.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 12-26-2018, 05:55 AM
Yeah Gabiru had field advantage and used it very well despite his inflated ego. The orcs had to bog through that swamp which great reduced their movement. And we don't know if what they eat is permanent considering they will be constantly hungry perhaps it's more like a temporarily skill that they get.

David75
Wed, 12-26-2018, 08:47 AM
Gabiru is a skilled warior. I liked this fight a lot. But the oponent is too powerful.
Gabiru is too green (pun intended :cool: ) to become a leader, if he ever shows/develop the qualities he needs to lead his fellow lizardmen.

Regarding the ep, it felt like a Xmas event with lots of eye candy power attacks.
But a quick estimate tells me we are under 20k orcs defeated.
Next ep will maybe tell us exactly where we are.
Or Rimuru wins and we don't even care :D

shinta|hikari
Wed, 12-26-2018, 10:47 AM
They wouldn't become as strong as ogres. They just gain certain traits from the enemies, but they don't become their enemies. They are still stupid weakass orcs.

MFauli
Wed, 12-26-2018, 01:11 PM
I just wonder if izards are inherently weak or it's just Gabiru. He' named, yet still super weak compared to even a named goblin.

David75
Wed, 12-26-2018, 01:28 PM
I just wonder if izards are inherently weak or it's just Gabiru. He' named, yet still super weak compared to even a named goblin.
Gabiru was named by a weaker being compared to Rimuru.
And Gobuta is not the weakest Hobgoblin either, at least he's special regarding his affinity for magic.

Still Gabiru showed great prowess in his fight against the Orc General. We do not know how Gobuta would fare against the same enemy.

Also Gobuta fully used the surprised element against Gabiru.

Kraco
Mon, 01-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Episode 14

-- - - -

https://i.imgur.com/k2kfL1c.jpg
The true hat of a gentleman.

MFauli
Mon, 01-07-2019, 10:09 PM
Those boobs were too much, lol.
Man, i love those lizard people. They all got such a goofy, innocent aura to them. Couldn't stand to see them die for real (ugh, at least one was eaten by orcs ...).

I'm extremely glad Rimuru switched from auto- to active-battle. That auto-mode was some bs and had it been the end all, it would have greatly diminished Rimuru as a character imo.

Oh and: noooo, Ganon is dead!

DarthEnderX
Mon, 01-07-2019, 11:23 PM
Man, I really am enjoying this series. It's so much like Overlord, yet the exact opposite at the same time.

I think part of the reason I like this so much, is because it's basically an idea I once had, come to life.

Of course, I imagined it as the plot of a Dragon Quest game and not an anime. I thought once "Slimes are the ur monster of the DQ series, what if the final boss of one of the games WAS a slime." Then I thought up the idea of it being a special slime that was created in some magical lab that escapes, and it can absorb other monsters, and can even take the shape and powers of the monsters it eats. The heroes have to fight it several times during the game until eventually it eats the big bad ruler of hell, and then the heroes have to stop it from eating God.

Now I wish I'd done something with that idea back when I thought of it.

Of course, having the slime be the hero is pretty fun too.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 01-08-2019, 07:58 AM
I'm extremely glad Rimuru switched from auto- to active-battle. That auto-mode was some bs and had it been the end all, it would have greatly diminished Rimuru as a character imo.

I feel somewhat differently.

Auto-battle mode meant we could see a variety of skills. Rimuru's strategy turned out to be Predator, which we knew about already.

Imagine every battle being auto-battle, showcasing new skills from Rimuru, compared to every battle being Predator vs enemy. I'd tire of the latter way more quickly.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-08-2019, 08:47 AM
Why didn't auto battle use predator if it would win anyway? Auto battle is the world's knowledge right? Risk would mean nothing if you knew the outcome.

MFauli
Tue, 01-08-2019, 09:22 AM
I feel somewhat differently.

Auto-battle mode meant we could see a variety of skills. Rimuru's strategy turned out to be Predator, which we knew about already.

Imagine every battle being auto-battle, showcasing new skills from Rimuru, compared to every battle being Predator vs enemy. I'd tire of the latter way more quickly.

Auto-battle has 2 downsides for me as the audience:

- it takes away agency from the hero? Why exactly do we need Rimuru, when just about any reincanated slime could do the same?

- This turned out not being the case (and it makes no sense, honestly), but: Auto-battle the way it was described implies that it chooses all the best options in battle. Basically, Rimuru either dominates OR he's chanceless. That's boring, too.

Seeing Rimurs operators reaction, I wonder if that becomes important in the future.

KrayZ33
Tue, 01-08-2019, 01:00 PM
I didn't really like how he defeated that monster and I have to agree with MFauli, the autobattle mode was weird and I don't see a reason for it to be a thing in the first place. And while the darflames looked like they couldn't be extinguished, I was even more disappointed about autobattle using that "trap" with normal flames.

All in all that fight wasn't orchestrated to my liking, though I still believe we'll see better ones in the future.

The Orc-King flashback scene made little sense to me btw, maybe someone can enlighten me and explain how that illusion of a lush enviroment fixed the problem that the orcs have to return to their ravished homeland - I didn't quite grasp that nor do I understand how he supposedly took away their "hunger" - the orc-lord's, yes... but his minions, what will they do now?

David75
Tue, 01-08-2019, 01:32 PM
Let's watch next ep, ok ?

Ryllharu
Tue, 01-08-2019, 05:32 PM
The auto-battle only works for someone who has Great Sage. She took over.

I like that she was a little put out when he cut into her explanation. Cute gag.

What wasn't clearly shown in the anime, though it was there, but called out explicitly in the manga, is that this wasn't just Predator eating the Orc Disaster. The Orc King has green gas spilling out, devouring everything near him or in direct contact with him. That was what the Rimuru was referring to about 'your Devour versus my Predator.' It was the respective powers of two demon lords battling it out to consume the other. Parts of Rimuru were being ripped off and absorbed into the Orc King to regenerate him.

Eventually, Rimuru's will beat out the Orc King's. The orc king became a demon lord to save his people. That destruction was his sin. Rimuru promised to consume all that sin, as well as the sins of the orc king's people. That "satisfied" the orc king, and ended his hunger. With his hunger gone, the orc king stopped trying to devour Rimuru, and Rimuru consumed the orc king's body completely.

Auto-battle couldn't have run Predator that way. That took Rimuru actively controlling his regeneration while trying to eat the orc king. It was a willpower battle.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-08-2019, 06:38 PM
Actually, I read the light novel, and the reason Rimuru won is because Predator works on living creatures, meaning Rimuru is growing stronger as he eats the orc disaster. The orc disaster can only grow stronger after eating corpses, so it can't grow more powerful while Rimuru is alive.

Please see screenshot of the epub.

This is a fact that Great Sage should know, since even Rimuru knows it, yet it didn't try to do it.

Also, in the very next page after that screenshot, Rimuru continues, "Talk about stupid. Think whatever you like, I've already won." So it wasn't a battle of wills at that point because Rimuru was assured of his win due to the difference in their respective skills. All the inner conversation nonsense is just background story for the faceless enemy to give it some depth.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 01-09-2019, 12:23 AM
Imagine every battle being auto-battle, showcasing new skills from Rimuru, compared to every battle being Predator vs enemy. I'd tire of the latter way more quickly.Yeah, but why can't Rimuru uses a variety of skills himself? We've seen him do it, like when he first went up against the ogres.

I think it's just supposed to be a "I can't think fast enough to do DBZ style movement shit, but the magic computer can."

But I'm with the folks that don't particularly care for this. I like Rimuru to fight on his own. And I also preferred it when an enemy had to be dead(or willing) to be eaten by Predator. Otherwise it's a boring iwin button.

maybe someone can enlighten me and explain how that illusion of a lush enviroment fixed the problem that the orcs have to return to their ravished homelandI'm fairly certain that Rimuru is just going to invite the remaining orcs into his civilization and they'll just move into the forest. Like he's done with every other race he's encountered.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-09-2019, 05:23 AM
1) Why can’t Rimuru do what Sage does and use combos as well?

a) processing speed: Great Sage comes up with answers more quickly than Rimuru does, and
b) memory capcity: Great Sage will remember all skills, thus picking the best one. Rimuru is prone to forgetting skills as his repertoire grows, like most living non-genius beings.

That’s the primary reason to use Great Sage for battles.

Auto-Battle also isn’t dominate-or-win. Auto-Battle chooses the best action at any point it time. It doesn’t necessarily predict all events successfully, since that would assume that it has complete knowledge of the opponent’s abilities and how they would choose to use them. It also requires accurate prediction of environmental factors.

Even then, the “best action” doesn’t always net you a good outcome. Over the next 5 moves, I might have successfully landed a hit. And over the next 5, the best outcome turned out to be that I got away with having my arm chopped off instead of having my head chopped off.

These are real-time decisions as opposed to those “simulate every scenario and the winning one will play out perfectly”. Look at how Auto-Battle fucked up Orc Disaster’s fire resistance. That didn’t end up being “Dominate or Chanceless”.

Using Predator however, often gets you that result. Either you successfully eat them.. or you don’t.

I liked the dialogue between the two dudes exploring their motivations, but Predator as a skill is definitely nor more engaging than auto-battle.

MFauli
Wed, 01-09-2019, 06:59 AM
Oh, one detail I didn't fully understand: Why could Rimuru so easily regenerate himself when Orc Lord devoured parts o him? Was that Rimuru using stored potions?

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-09-2019, 07:57 AM
Rimuru also regenerated parts of himself when Hakuro cut him. I don't know about "easily".

They didn't go through whether Starve/Predator skills consume energy to use.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 01-09-2019, 11:15 PM
He's had regeneration since the very start of the series.

Back when he was still trapped in the cave he hurt himself smashing into a rock and took 10% damage, and a few seconds later, he healed.

KrayZ33
Mon, 01-14-2019, 01:19 PM
EP 15:

For the Lady!

Buffalobiian
Mon, 01-14-2019, 02:30 PM
I'm mildly surprised at Treyni's support of this country, since building a nation doesn't exactly conserve forests - which you'd think would be her primary focus. The well-being of its inhabitants should come a close second.

Kraco
Mon, 01-14-2019, 05:56 PM
I'm mildly surprised at Treyni's support of this country, since building a nation doesn't exactly conserve forests - which you'd think would be her primary focus. The well-being of its inhabitants should come a close second.

What choice does she have? If she supports Rimuru, whom she knows can be reasoned with and who is looking after all kinds of creatures, not just his own like is usually the case, she can at least hope Rimuru would be willing to protect the nature as well. If she opposed the alliance and Rimuru, it would be just a big chaos. Perhaps she might hope the monsters would kill each others, or something, but that would be quite cheap after Rimuru saved the forest from the crazed orc horde. Treyni isn't looking only after the trees and treants, perhaps. Maybe she thinks the monsters are a part of the natural fauna. Certainly they ought to be better than to have humans take over, which might happen without the monsters.

MFauli
Mon, 01-14-2019, 07:24 PM
Why is 'she' in the ending? Rubbing it in that we lost her or spoiling that she's not dead after all? :(

Ryllharu
Mon, 01-14-2019, 07:38 PM
I wouldn't put too much faith in the OPs or the EDs regarding appearances. There are characters and events shown in the first set that we still haven't seen.

Some far in advance of the anime, some far in advance of where the manga is right now, and presumably some up to date with the LN. Think of it more as fanservice.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 01-14-2019, 08:36 PM
Unless this series takes a really dark turn, it's kind of soothing how smoothly things keep going for Rimuru.

This is like watching a game of Civilization.

Or Warcraft. Befriend new monster, gain access to new unit type.

KrayZ33
Tue, 01-15-2019, 05:25 AM
It's going too smoothly imho.
150.000 orcs and they still only have like ~20 buildings availabe. The numbers are so far fetched especially since he named every single orc - which means they will probably have similar names now like "orci, borki, torki, derpi".

I have no idea why they had to go overboard like that, these orcs would've been fine without names.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-15-2019, 07:16 AM
He numbered them in the light novel.

Kraco
Tue, 01-15-2019, 07:47 AM
It's going too smoothly imho.
150.000 orcs and they still only have like ~20 buildings availabe. The numbers are so far fetched especially since he named every single orc - which means they will probably have similar names now like "orci, borki, torki, derpi".

I have no idea why they had to go overboard like that, these orcs would've been fine without names.

I think the orcs were distributed here and there in the forest, not the mass of 150,000 in a single place. It's also a really big forest, big like a whole country.

Naming them all indeed seemed totally unnecessary, even stupid, and practically impossible. Maybe name one in a thousand to have decent leaders among them to keep them in check. Sometimes the author just doesn't think things through, or makes Rimuru a character who doesn't think things through.

KrayZ33
Tue, 01-15-2019, 08:13 AM
He numbered them in the light novel.

haha, that's actually funny. Too bad they didn't show that (yet) since that would flesh out Rimuru's character somewhat

I think the orcs were distributed here and there in the forest, not the mass of 150,000 in a single place. It's also a really big forest, big like a whole country.

Ya, but 150k is a *huge* number... especially during medieval times. Going from basicaly a few thousands to this in mere days/hours is insane.
It's also insane to assume that they have the logistics to manage a population like that and distribute them "evenly".

The current refugee crisis is like 0,x% of that in relative numbers.
While we have troubles with a mere percentile (1 refugee every 10.000 inhabitants or something), they have to deal with a 100% increase in population (if you count the lizards) a 10000% increase (or whatever) if you don't... and I really doubt the pigs/orcs will live in the marches considering how they struggled moving in there.

I think this issue was brushed aside way to easily for the moment. It's not like they have the stockpiles necessary and ready. You can't just increase your harvest like that - no one would've been prepared for that.

Kraco
Tue, 01-15-2019, 08:41 AM
I think this issue was brushed aside way to easily for the moment. It's not like they have the stockpiles necessary and ready. You can't just increase your harvest like that - no one would've been prepared for that.

I don't know if the author needs such a large population later in the story for something or if the author is thoughtless, but such is this story. In the end, it's hardly the first thing that would make little sense.

MFauli
Tue, 01-15-2019, 08:46 AM
Those orcs will be cannon fodder so ...

I also can't imagine where they'll be getting their food from. These orcs already ruined their own land from all ressources. 150k orcs going into a forest to eat? Forest dead in 3 days :/

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-15-2019, 08:58 AM
The migration issues IRL don't really apply to this world though. For one, they are all basically Rimuru's minions and will follow his every command, and their world has magic potions and whatnot. Magic can fix anything!

Also, large forests easily support waaaay more than 150k creatures. Just don't burn down or chop the trees needlessly. The largest forest in our world, the Amazon Rainforest, is about 15 times the size of Germany. Who knows how large an isekai magical forest is.

KrayZ33
Tue, 01-15-2019, 09:19 AM
Also, large forests easily support waaaay more than 150k creatures.

Large forest that are as large as half a continent, like the rainforest, maybe..
Considering that the orcs traveled here on foot in mere days and the overall distance between cities we've seen so far however... no, no way.

How far was Dwagon away again? 3 days?

Well, as has been said, it's clearly not the only thing that made little sense... but it's strikes me as immature worldbuilding when they bring these numbers in like it's nothing special.
What I'm saying is.. I'm pretty sure this show would've been just as enjoyable, maybe even more so, with less inflated numbers. Even if an enemy in the future has a huge army, "huge" is still a relative term... meaning if the author wants to outnumber Rimuru's forces again, he has to go full USA level military again and all of a sudden, you are in the millions.

And when you are in the millions, it's even more annoying to see them perish with a snap of a finger (which already happened to the orcs)

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Has it ever been mentioned how deep the forest goes? Do they even live in the center of it? Maybe it is a special forest that is huge and we haven't even seen the scope of it.

That said, I understand your concerns about the numbers, but then again, this is OP isekai. I wouldn't be surprised if they did start bringing in millions and pawning them with a single move.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 01-15-2019, 10:30 AM
It would be morally unfair to not name the orcs since other citizens are named. Being named as a monster is pretty much being granted citizenship to Tempest.

David75
Tue, 01-15-2019, 10:46 AM
Dwargon was 3 or 4 weeks from the goblin village by foot. 50km/day for more than 20days, over 1000km?
They got there faster thanks to Ranga and co.

It's true that for naming, the idea of famillies/group/clan like Ranga and co would have been better. Each group gets a name and individuals get a second name they can decide for themselves (or given at birth). Pretty much what we have IRL.

As for resources, well it's possible Treyni helped with that. After all there are wooden buildings. So it's not unthinkable she tolerates some hunting, harvesting and with the help of magic you get a way faster forest/resources recovery.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-15-2019, 11:24 AM
I mean, animals in the forest eat other animals right? So why would Treyni be opposed to hunting for food?

fireheart
Tue, 01-15-2019, 11:59 AM
How far was Dwagon away again? 3 days?

Checked for the sake of it, 2 months or more by foot. Episode 4 time 05:13 so seems to be a pretty large forest

MFauli
Tue, 01-15-2019, 12:39 PM
Anyway, let's hope Orcs are put on birth control. Speaking of which: have we seen female orcs? *shudders*

Ryllharu
Tue, 01-15-2019, 03:58 PM
The orcs are making up for the harm they caused to the other members of the alliance by becoming laborers. Building infrastructure. This takes the Jura forest from being a very tiny village to an industrial powerhouse. An aqueduct in three months?!

The roads are the gamebreaker, and should be the biggest reason that the dwarf king should be so interested in forging a trade alliance with them. Everyone coming into Dwargon was entering from the field. There were no roads.

Rimuru can send a group of orcs, self-supporting crews and family units, basically, in every direction in the forest to start developing the nation in a matter of months where it likely would take other nations a decade.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 01-16-2019, 12:16 PM
He numbered them in the light novel.Lol, that's a fun detail that they should have kept in.

I wonder if you get less of a powerup if your name is really shitty and has no thought put into it. :p

But yeah, if naming a goblin village knocked him out for 3 days, it should have taken him years to name 150k orcs.

These orcs already ruined their own land from all ressources.How do you know that?

Looked more to me like it was some kind of drought or whatever that killed their land.

It would be morally unfair to not name the orcs since other citizens are named. Being named as a monster is pretty much being granted citizenship to Tempest.Fair, but then the writer should have had way less than 150k of the orcs survive the battle.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-16-2019, 12:29 PM
I think he became much more powerful since that time.

I also think the quality of the monster being named matters. If you are a stronger race, the more energy you consume from your would be master.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 01-16-2019, 01:25 PM
Think it also highly depends on the quality of the person in combination with the power of the namer. Prowess, skill, strength all of that. Like how the orc became Orc King due to his naming and the others just became High Orcs.

Kraco
Wed, 01-16-2019, 02:41 PM
I think he became much more powerful since that time.

I also think the quality of the monster being named matters. If you are a stronger race, the more energy you consume from your would be master.

An orc should be at least 5 times stronger than one of those puny goblins to begin with. A starved orc should still be at least three times stronger. Naming 150k should indeed have taken years with the breaks included. In reality I believe the author simply didn't give a shit about such details, but if I had to force an explanation, maybe Rimuru figured out a way to control the dose, and thus the orcs gained little from their naming power-up, and consequently Rimuru lost little, thus being able to keep going like a Duracell renaming bunny. Maybe he gave a few of them real names with real power, to serve as leaders.

MFauli
Wed, 01-16-2019, 03:23 PM
I mean, naming 150k individuals is bs from a simple math point of view, too: even if it took only 1 sec to name an orc, that's almost 2 whole days. But that's ignoring that it takes longer AND many breaks for Rimuru to regenerate.

I'm agreeing that the author probably didn't give a shit.

David75
Wed, 01-16-2019, 03:36 PM
Regarding the mana needed to name many monsters, I'm pretty sure Rimuru gets mana from monsters he already named before. And as they evolve he gets even more.
Rimuru already has quite a number of monsters from hobgoblin to Kijins, probably giving him quite a margin.
After naming the orcs, he'll probably get even more mana for the purpose of naming.

Ryllharu
Wed, 01-16-2019, 03:43 PM
As stated in the episode, Rimuru spent 10 days naming the orcs, got them all done in one go, and went into sleep mode for an unspecified amount of time after that.

And the names are like "Yellow-683M" and "Yellow-683F". They are precisely pre-planned, 1 second names.

MFauli
Wed, 01-16-2019, 03:53 PM
As stated in the episode, Rimuru spent 10 days naming the orcs, got them all done in one go, and went into sleep mode for an unspecified amount of time after that.

And the names are like "Yellow-683M" and "Yellow-683F". They are precisely pre-planned, 1 second names.

It takes more than one second to say 'Yellow-683M', unless you go out of your way, which you wouldn't be able to keep up for long. Also add the time it takes for every orc to come up to rimuru. Realistically, we're looking at at least 10 seconds per orc.